• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals Of Aether Trailer Released At E3: New Character Maypul!

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
"That's not saying its bad, its just saying its very unoriginal. Slapping a different code of paint and changing the defensive option doesn't make it a new game."
Its not like Mortal Kombat, where you take Street Fighter and give it a gory, dark, and mature atmosphere with unique mechanics like combo breaks, and interacting with the stage. This game just doesn't have anything to separate itself from smash aside from its art style. I know it has a parry mechanic, but it just doesn't seem to do anything that interesting. It seems to play a lot like melee, which wasn't even meant to play the way it is competitively, so I'll give it that, but then there is Project M which is already going somewhere with that.
I see this game being hit or miss, its either going to be a very good game, or a very bad game. But either way, it needs to have something aside from an artstyle and mechanic that seperates it from smash. So far, from what I'm seeing, its only worth a few bucks compared to smash 4.

I would like to see the Smash genre a normal fighting genre too, but should the game really be so similar to Smash its practically the same game?
I see where you're coming from, but I have to ask how much you know about Rivals of Aether? There are multiple core mechanic changes; the most prominent being parrying, but there's also acting out of airdodge, the ability to airdodge off the ground, wall-jumping out of helpless, no ledgegrabbing (by extension no edgehogs or ledgestalls), no grabbing (no way to has been revealed, at least), and momentum carrying into smash attacks (basically everyone has DACUS). Not only that, but there are a lot of changes to non-core mechanics as well. Characters have unique traits and abilities that haven't been seen in smash before, such as burn damage (is there any in smash? lipstick not including), terrain creation, terrain altering, and aerial smash attacks (chargeable smash attacks, not aerials with smash attack power like Robin's). It has a lot of unique things to offer that smash doesn't cover, or hasn't yet covered. In my opinion, it's good that the game is clearly playing off of smash, because it will have a lot of familiarity to it that people outside of our already aware community will need, but it's definitely not the same game.
BRUH that would be sick. What would it be called? Sumo?
I've always preferred to call it a "box fighter", since it's essentially a fighting game that revolves around the box that is the blastzone. Not a very catchy name but it's direct and I like it.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I've always preferred to call it a "box fighter", since it's essentially a fighting game that revolves around the box that is the blastzone. Not a very catchy name but it's direct and I like it.
But then people would associate it with boxing... I guess you get out if you go outside the boundaries and Stamina mode would fit it, but it isn't at all like boxing combat-wise.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
But then people would associate it with boxing... I guess you get out if you go outside the boundaries and Stamina mode would fit it, but it isn't at all like boxing combat-wise.
You make it sound like I'm saying it's associated with boxing, but you've got a point. I don't think it sounds like boxing, but I thought of the name and I know exactly what I'm thinking, other people don't.

Top Bottom