• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals Of Aether Trailer Released At E3: New Character Maypul!

Tythaeus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xX-R4GE-Xx
3DS FC
4038-7179-8613
I never heard of this game until now. It looks somewhat interesting. If I get to kick ass as a racoon then It's something worth checking out haha.

Last edited:

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Not Smash, can't look past that so 0/10 wouldn't play. But given the abundance of failed Smash clones/rip-offs, I hope this one succeeds because more variety is a good thing, isn't it?

elliotnz

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0662-5906-3244
Not Smash, can't look past that so 0/10 wouldn't play. But given the abundance of failed Smash clones/rip-offs, I hope this one succeeds because more variety is a good thing, isn't it?

Getting feedback on what the smash community wants in a competitive game is a good sign imo.

The Dark Hero 64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperMarioHeroes
3DS FC
0688-5841-0833
This game is very awesome :O players must have skills for win like in super smash bros melee, let's just say that this game is the super smash bros melee of the xbox one :D i will buy it :D

JustinKG

Smash Rookie
Never heard of this character but he likes quite fun. Still hoping Snake makes an entrance!

Keeshu

Smash Ace
When I glanced at the video preview I thought it was Pyroar and some alt color pokemon (and I was still waking up so the title of the game didnt catch my attention).

This game has my interest. I might play it from time to time on the PC for whenever I want to play something close to Smash, but isn't Smash. (because I'm not a huge fan of Street fighter and games similar to it.)

I'd probably end up using Forsburn (the exiled flame) if I were to play the game. He seems to have gameplay I'd like the most out of all of them, and I like his character more than the others. I'm going to wait and see for other characters though, afterall the last 2 seem to be the most interesting.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
0Other games essentially stole from Street Fighter what made it unique and made it their own. This game is doing the same. It has mechanics that makes it unique and mechanics that are ripped off from smash. Just like Mortal Kombat to Street Fighter. That doesn't make it bad. It revolutionizes the genre. You're essentially saying this game is a rip-off because no other game has already ripped smash off. I for one would love to see smash's concept change from a franchise to a full genre.
"That's not saying its bad, its just saying its very unoriginal. Slapping a different code of paint and changing the defensive option doesn't make it a new game."
Its not like Mortal Kombat, where you take Street Fighter and give it a gory, dark, and mature atmosphere with unique mechanics like combo breaks, and interacting with the stage. This game just doesn't have anything to separate itself from smash aside from its art style. I know it has a parry mechanic, but it just doesn't seem to do anything that interesting. It seems to play a lot like melee, which wasn't even meant to play the way it is competitively, so I'll give it that, but then there is Project M which is already going somewhere with that.
I see this game being hit or miss, its either going to be a very good game, or a very bad game. But either way, it needs to have something aside from an artstyle and mechanic that seperates it from smash. So far, from what I'm seeing, its only worth a few bucks compared to smash 4.

I would like to see the Smash genre a normal fighting genre too, but should the game really be so similar to Smash its practically the same game?

Xanthus

Smash Apprentice
" This game just doesn't have anything to separate itself from smash aside from its art style. I know it has a parry mechanic, but it just doesn't seem to do anything that interesting. It seems to play a lot like melee, which wasn't even meant to play the way it is competitively, so I'll give it that, but then there is Project M which is already going somewhere with that.
I see this game being hit or miss, its either going to be a very good game, or a very bad game. But either way, it needs to have something aside from an artstyle and mechanic that seperates it from smash. So far, from what I'm seeing, its only worth a few bucks compared to smash 4.

I would like to see the Smash genre a normal fighting genre too, but should the game really be so similar to Smash its practically the same game?
I'm a playtester, and this game plays wildly different from any other smash game. There are a number of core mechanic changes (parry instead of shield, acting after air dodge, no ledge grabbing, wall jumping out of helpless state to up b again, sliding smash attacks, no grabbing) , but beyond that a much different design (every character can alter the environment to create an advantage, can walljump, the movement gives you very easy and smooth control over your character at all times, special statuses, mostly original movesets with some VERY unique attacks, low landing lag and seamless combos and favoring aggression, new interesting stage hazards). It's a very different experience, and everyone that I've played it with has loved it and picked it up very fast. I understand where you're coming from, but just because it's inspired by melee and has some similar core mechanics, its doesn't mean it doesn't have a completely different playing experience with number of core changes that separate it from smash.

Also, a developer that really listens to the community behind it, won't shut down content/ tournaments, and understands how to keep a game fun and casual (and so easy to pick up!) with all of the deep advanced traits of a entertaining competitive fighting game. With this game you'll have patch notes, and you're certain of it's direction and future :p

Last edited:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
But if X is a variable, 20XX could be any of 100 different years.

Fox is going to reign for 100 years, then the Skilled Roy will top the tier list. Our children five generation from now will look back on your post and see how foolish we were to not heed the advice that a Skilled Roy can beat any Fox in the world.
But... Could a skilled Roy beat ANOTHER skilled roy?!?!? Or would it be an eternal game of equal percentages and perfect DI?

It is more Melee like, but there is no L-cancelling and instead just presets lag.
And thank god for that.
Boooo. It's much better to have to L cancel. I like the dynamic in 64/melee where spotting and punishing a missed L cancel (or Z cancel in 64 lol) can net you a combo or a stock.

I like the dynamic of "Your techskill wasn't perfect, now your stock is gone" it's why people get to such a high level.

Plus, L cancelling / SHFFLING are far from the most difficult techniques. I still can't shield drop or moonwalk :(

Last edited:

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
I'm a playtester, and this game plays wildly different from any other smash game. There are a number of core mechanic changes (parry instead of shield, acting after air dodge, no ledge grabbing, wall jumping out of helpless state to up b again, sliding smash attacks, no grabbing) , but beyond that a much different design (every character can alter the environment to create an advantage, can walljump, the movement gives you very easy and smooth control over your character at all times, special statuses, mostly original movesets with some VERY unique attacks, low landing lag and seamless combos and favoring aggression, new interesting stage hazards). It's a very different experience, and everyone that I've played it with has loved it and picked it up very fast. I understand where you're coming from, but just because it's inspired by melee and has some similar core mechanics, its doesn't mean it doesn't have a completely different playing experience with number of core changes that separate it from smash.

Also, a developer that really listens to the community behind it, won't shut down content/ tournaments, and understands how to keep a game fun and casual (and so easy to pick up!) with all of the deep advanced traits of a entertaining competitive fighting game. With this game you'll have patch notes, and you're certain of it's direction and future :p
Well all people had to do was just say so. X.X

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
But... Could a skilled Roy beat ANOTHER skilled roy?!?!? Or would it be an eternal game of equal percentages and perfect DI?

Boooo. It's much better to have to L cancel. I like the dynamic in 64/melee where spotting and punishing a missed L cancel (or Z cancel in 64 lol) can net you a combo or a stock.

I like the dynamic of "Your techskill wasn't perfect, now your stock is gone" it's why people get to such a high level.

Plus, L cancelling / SHFFLING are far from the most difficult techniques. I still can't shield drop or moonwalk :(
The game would end. The player with port priority would win, but the game time would be extended to 60 minutes to account for all of the perfectly-spaced wet noodles.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
yoo, Orcane is a heavily amped up Vaporeon from Super Smash Land! I'm so digging this game so far and will be a must-buy for me! definitely PC version and I'm hoping for a future Wii U with Gamecube Adapter compatibility.

Ifrit_Smash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skyloftknight123
3DS FC
1375-7213-2200
though it does look similar to smash, it seems like it will play more akin to SF. (other than the noticeable smash attack-esque moves). overall it looks like a fun game, can't wait to get my hands on it (Gamecube support anyone?)

XOSugar

Smash Cadet
They should probably change the name though for marketing pu
If you want to see something unoriginal from me, check my sig. :p

3 quotes, I wonder how many people think its necessary to try and tell me something about the word "rip off"
When I say "just how much this will be a rip off of", that's basically saying: "how many elements from the original formula will it steal?" *gets another alert* ...There is being a clone then there is being to much of one. Street fighter and mortal combat are very similar, but they aren't just stealing each others identities. This game steals what makes Smash brothers unique from a gameplay aspect, so I consider it a rip off for now. I haven't seen anything aside from parrying that isn't in a Smash Bros game.

That's not saying its bad, its just saying its very unoriginal. Slapping a different code of paint and changing the defensive option doesn't make it a new game.
League of Legends had to start somewhere too, and I'm sure people thought it was a dumbed down rip-off. In fact, some people still do.

But it's thriving and has a competitive community, and that's Smash's endgame. Nintendo is trying and bless them for it, but for the same competetive level as melee, that experience is going to come from a smaller game company that can operate on a f2p but pay for cosmetics basis, as well as understand the mechanics that make smash so competitive. And that company just isn't Nintendo.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
It is more Melee like, but there is no L-cancelling and instead just presets lag.

And thank god for that.
What makes a lack of L cancel inputs a good thing? If anything it makes the game worse, not better.

I love the dynamic in melee of "oh, you missed an L cancel? Say goodbye to your stock" It encourages perfection.

L cancelling is a good thing. Taking it out of smash like they did in Brawl and Sm4sh was a stupid idea. Catering to weak, casual players is never a good idea. Ever.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
What makes a lack of L cancel inputs a good thing? If anything it makes the game worse, not better.

I love the dynamic in melee of "oh, you missed an L cancel? Say goodbye to your stock" It encourages perfection.

L cancelling is a good thing. Taking it out of smash like they did in Brawl and Sm4sh was a stupid idea. Catering to weak, casual players is never a good idea. Ever.
Because it offers false depth.

More lag or less lag, take your pick.

L-Cancelling is an awful tech, period. Wavedashing is a good one.

Last edited:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Because it offers false depth.

More lag or less lag, take your pick.

L-Cancelling is an awful tech, period. Wavedashing is a good one.
"False Depth"

Are you kidding me? How do you even define something like that?

It's much better to have heavy lag as a punishment for people that are too lazy to learn how to play the game, and little to no lag as a reward for correctly inputting the L cancel. It takes on many dynamics, you have to change your L cancel timing when you hit shields, it takes a long time to master and makes you really appreciate the high level players for rarely missing them.

By your logic, teching offers "false depth" you should be able to techroll in any situation by simply holding left right or down to tech in place or to techroll... it's technically the same input as L cancel just with more frames allowed to input it.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
"False Depth"

Are you kidding me? How do you even define something like that?

It's much better to have heavy lag as a punishment for people that are too lazy to learn how to play the game, and little to no lag as a reward for correctly inputting the L cancel. It takes on many dynamics, you have to change your L cancel timing when you hit shields, it takes a long time to master and makes you really appreciate the high level players for rarely missing them.

By your logic, teching offers "false depth" you should be able to techroll in any situation by simply holding left right or down to tech in place or to techroll... it's technically the same input as L cancel just with more frames allowed to input it.
Answer this simple question.

Do you want more or less lag?

I do not care how it adds tech skill requirement, I am asking when would you willing choose not to do this. If the answer is no, then it is raising the skill requirement with no real depth added and is better off removed.

Teching or Techrolls are not the same, there is choose in those.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Answer this simple question.

Do you want more or less lag?

I do not care how it adds tech skill requirement, I am asking when would you willing choose not to do this. If the answer is no, then it is raising the skill requirement with no real depth added and is better off removed.

Teching or Techrolls are not the same, there is choose in those.
I want techniques that cancel lag to distinguish the skill level between players.

I speed run Zelda A Link to the Past and there are numerous lag reducing techniques that I wouldn't want to be made "automatic" because it's cool to have to learn the ways to cancel out the lag, save the frames not the animals.

Same thing with sweetspotting the ledge. Making 99% of up b recovery safe in brawl and smash 4, again, ruined a big part of the punish game, be perfect on your spacing with recovery or get edgeguarded to death... fox / marth being good examples... but by your logic the auto-sweetspot is a good thing.

I dunno man. Video games are too easy these days... the more complicated the inputs, the better in my opinion. Helps to keep the scrub population down.

Look at smash 4, fun game, but because it's SO easy to play at a "high level" *extreme sarcasm there* the community is a good 90% of whiny scrubs who would rather ask for buffs / nerfs from nintendo than adapt... (Sorry guys, but its the truth)

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I want techniques that cancel lag to distinguish the skill level between players.

I speed run Zelda A Link to the Past and there are numerous lag reducing techniques that I wouldn't want to be made "automatic" because it's cool to have to learn the ways to cancel out the lag, save the frames not the animals.

Same thing with sweetspotting the ledge. Making 99% of up b recovery safe in brawl and smash 4, again, ruined a big part of the punish game, be perfect on your spacing with recovery or get edgeguarded to death... fox / marth being good examples... but by your logic the auto-sweetspot is a good thing.

I dunno man. Video games are too easy these days... the more complicated the inputs, the better in my opinion. Helps to keep the scrub population down.

Look at smash 4, fun game, but because it's SO easy to play at a "high level" *extreme sarcasm there* the community is a good 90% of whiny scrubs who would rather ask for buffs / nerfs from nintendo than adapt... (Sorry guys, but its the truth)
This isn't speedrunning this is a fighter. Optimization is a thing even in fighters, BnB's being a large focus sometimes. Being learning the fundamentals of that and knowing when you can is what makes it work.

I'd rather separate players with good fundamentals and techskill used with proper choice.

Yes you would be making the gap larger, but you aren't making the core game better in any way. That is when I have large issues with this in games.

I hate it in Melee and I hate it even more in PM.

If you want more techskill added, it should be valued like Wavedashing is instead of just trying to punish players and make it harder for harder sake. There is a good and bad time to wavedash, there is never a time you would not want to L-Cancel.

Make it harder so a players gets something out of the game, not just timing that isn't valuable anywhere else.

We're not going to see eye to eye on this. I do not value tech skill for tech skill sake, I value players making proper choices to win with it.

Keeseman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Keeseman
3DS FC
2251-4754-4791
Long ago, the four Smash Bros. games live together in harmony. Then, everything changed when the Rivals of Aether attacked...

Imposer

Smash Rookie
I like the way it looks. From these two characters it seems like their are many unique moves, such as the smoke, doppelganger, seeds and vines. I'll probably get it, looks like good fun.

TunaAndBacon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TunaAndBacon
This isn't speedrunning this is a fighter. Optimization is a thing even in fighters, BnB's being a large focus sometimes. Being learning the fundamentals of that and knowing when you can is what makes it work.

I'd rather separate players with good fundamentals and techskill used with proper choice.

Yes you would be making the gap larger, but you aren't making the core game better in any way. That is when I have large issues with this in games.

I hate it in Melee and I hate it even more in PM.

If you want more techskill added, it should be valued like Wavedashing is instead of just trying to punish players and make it harder for harder sake. There is a good and bad time to wavedash, there is never a time you would not want to L-Cancel.

Make it harder so a players gets something out of the game, not just timing that isn't valuable anywhere else.

We're not going to see eye to eye on this. I do not value tech skill for tech skill sake, I value players making proper choices to win with it.
Is L-canceling pointless? yes. But I couldn't style like a mofo as Falco without it. :awesome:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
It's not pointless just because it's a 100% optimal decision, yes you would never want to miss an L cancel... so don't. And like I said, it adds depth to the punish game specifically.

Same thing goes for sweetspotting, which was made automatic in brawl and smash 4. Do you always want to sweetspot your recovery? yes. Should it be given to you for free regardless of your spacing? No.

hypa_avenue

Smash Rookie
NNID
awsom17
It won't hold under a copyright suit. It's taking the physics and mechanics, but none of the original characters. Nintendo didn't patent the percentage system or the stage boundary system just like Street Fighter didn't patent the life bar system in fighters.

Additionally, if we were going by stage boundaries, Nintendo would have been sued by the creators of Soul Calibur a long time ago, and probably someone before Soul Calibur would have sued them.
When a company made a Fire Emblem inpsired game on the PS2 lawsuits came in anyways ._.

I don't remember the name of the game.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
It's not pointless just because it's a 100% optimal decision, yes you would never want to miss an L cancel... so don't. And like I said, it adds depth to the punish game specifically.

Same thing goes for sweetspotting, which was made automatic in brawl and smash 4. Do you always want to sweetspot your recovery? yes. Should it be given to you for free regardless of your spacing? No.
actually, there are moments where you don't want to sweetspot, but that can be very character dependant, as some have hitboxes that do not become active if you sweetspot the ledge.

but what's more important is the skill that is needed to execute a sweetspot ledgegrab compared to an L-cancel. sweetpots can be easier to measure if you have a basic knowledge of your fighter. with L-canceling, although it's universal, you have only a tiny frame to input the command. you can easily measure a recovery. L-canceling is learned by guessing and then muscle memory. not only that, but it's easier to appreciate the skill. you hear announcers say "wow, what a great recovery by ___" or "aww, he missed the sweetspot..." but you never hear them say "wow, amazing L-cancel!" or "oh no, he missed his L-cancels. that's gonna cost him the match..."

theleeryone

Smash Rookie
But if X is a variable, 20XX could be any of 100 different years.

Fox is going to reign for 100 years, then the Skilled Roy will top the tier list. Our children five generation from now will look back on your post and see how foolish we were to not heed the advice that a Skilled Roy can beat any Fox in the world.
It can actually only represent one of ten separate years. 2000, 2011, 2022, 2033, 2044, 2055, 2066, 2077, 2088, and 2099.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
It can actually only represent one of ten separate years. 2000, 2011, 2022, 2033, 2044, 2055, 2066, 2077, 2088, and 2099.
You are correct, but I am not wrong. 2000 is the first of the years and 2099 is the last of the years. This means that the time period of 2000-2099 (The release of Melee is 2001, but the game was already developing in 2000, so 20XX started the moment Fox was put in the game) is 100 years, AKA the Reign of Fox (also known as 20XX). 2100 and onward shall begin the Era of Skilled Roy (also known as 21OurBoy).

Also, 2099, X=9, X/3 = 3, Half-Life 3 confirmed to come out in 2099.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
actually, there are moments where you don't want to sweetspot, but that can be very character dependant, as some have hitboxes that do not become active if you sweetspot the ledge.
Good point.

but what's more important is the skill that is needed to execute a sweetspot ledgegrab compared to an L-cancel. sweetpots can be easier to measure if you have a basic knowledge of your fighter.
Perfect sweetspotting with some characters is much harder than L cancelling. I don't miss L cancels and I'm not even that great of a melee player.

with L-canceling, although it's universal, you have only a tiny frame to input the command.
You have all day to L cancel. it's like a 6-7 frame window.

you hear announcers say "wow, what a great recovery by ___" or "aww, he missed the sweetspot..." but you never hear them say "wow, amazing L-cancel!" or "oh no, he missed his L-cancels. that's gonna cost him the match..."
They don't compliment an L cancel, but trust me, if someone ****s up an L cancel and loses a stock, the commentator is gonna point it out. I've heard it before and I'll hear it again.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
They don't compliment an L cancel, but trust me, if someone ****s up an L cancel and loses a stock, the commentator is gonna point it out. I've heard it before and I'll hear it again.
Could you link or point these out?

I've rare if ever heard this to any common occurrence.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Could you link or point these out?

I've rare if ever heard this to any common occurrence.
Can't recall exactly when it was and I don't have the time to dig through vods to find it, but I believe it was mango vs m2k, one of them missed an L cancel and D1 pointed it out because it cost him the stock.

I agree though it's not a huge part of the commentating, the only thing I don't agree with is saying it causes a skill gap because it's not even close to the hardest tech to pull of consistently in melee. Chances are if you can't L cancel consistently, even if it didn't exist and everything auto canceled you wouldn't do any better or worse against high level opponents as their techskill and speed in other areas would still overwhelm you. Happens to me a lot, I'm not great at melee and some people are so damn fast they just destroy me!

It's a double edged sword, I've also taken out some very flashy space animals that were doubleshining all day but couldn't get a hit on me and didn't have the best fundamentals or spacing.

I think smash 4 is a great game to learn the fundamentals of smash honnestly and people that transition from smash 4 to melee will feel the joy of having more options unlocked and having more control over their movement.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
being a fan of both PM and Smash 4, I can't wait to see how the metagame flourishes in this game. it already has a pretty high skill gap with the removal of shielding and edgegrabbing, as the parry system is much more precise and getting back on stage while figthing the opponent will demand every bit of skill and attention.

Top Bottom