• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

AbsoluteBlack

Smash Apprentice
^Down b is definitely the only way to do it. I still feel like maypul's insane speed lets her get around it on most stages with platform tricksies and coming down with autocancel aerials -> uptilt -> lol maypul vs kragg in the air.

It does cut out most of her ground game, though, which is a big help to the matchup.

Xanthus

Smash Apprentice
I strongly disagree with down-B helping the Kragg-Maypul matchup. With Maypul, you can dash dance and space in the range where you can bait / parry the down B. Then, since she is so fast, she can run in with invincability to do whatever. I haven't seen too many other people baiting in ranges where they can parry options, but it's VERY helpful vs. Kragg. Try those matches again, and see what happens :p

And this isn't me just theory-crafting, this is something I already did with characters who WERENT light-speed. I did it vs. Bones all the time, and vs. his Zetterburn. Just dash-dancing and being prepared to parry. However, I'll still restate that I have yet to play vs. other players in the new build. I will this weekend though!

Last edited:

AbsoluteBlack

Smash Apprentice
Bait punishing down b is impossible if you miss the parry, and I've always struggled with parrying out of DD... but yeah, maypul's movement is so nuts that the iframes of a successful parry make a sad kragg for sure.

Xanthus

Smash Apprentice
Once you focus on it, you shouldn't miss the parry. You're staying outside of Kragg's range until you see the down-b come out. Here's a video example:

Last edited:

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Being able to finally play this game properly due to the x360ce tutorial someone posted(you're my savior!), I figured I'd re-apply for a playtester position. I look forward to seeing this game progress even further!

4nace

Smash Ace
The Xbox360ce tutorial is quite nice. We will be looking into how exact the support can be and all the GC adapters it can catch. If things go well we will likely be using that as our official suggestion for GC controllers. (You'll likely have to set specific things inside Xbox360ce to get the dashing and dropping through platforms working correctly). We'll let you guys know how that goes. Would mean 4 controller support too then most likely :p

Still watching Maypul footage. Got some quick nerfs I have come up with. I have updated the build and wanted to get some opinions on these nerfs. I usually like to let things develop but I think these nerfs help get Maypul more in line with her design which is Grounded Rushdown. Also the down tilt nerf is simply because it doesn't look like a kill move and the first hit of Down Strong does that job well enough imo.

June 20, 2015 - Changes:

Maypul, the Sylvan Watcher.
  • Strong Attacks:
    • All her Strong attacks deal 90% of their current knockback when an opponent is not wrapped up. They still deal 100% of their knockback against wrapped opponents.
  • Nspecial:
    • Seed Damage reduced from 3% - 2%
    • 30 Frame Cooldown reduced to 5 Frames.
    • Toss recovery increased from 11 frames to 13 frames.
    • Seeds no longer cause any knockback and will not interrupt opponents.
  • Down Tilt:
    • Down Tilt is no longer a fast kill move but rather another quick combo starter for Maypul's repertoire.
    • Startup decreased from 5 frames to 4 frames.
    • Hitbox size increased.
    • Damage reduced from 9 damage to 7 damage.
    • Knockback scaling reduced from 1.0 to 0.35.
  • Up Air:
    • Final hit knockback scaling reduced from .8 - .7.
    • First two hits reduced to 2 damage each. Down from 11 damage to 9 damage total.
  • Up Special
    • Unmarked knockback scaling increased from .5 - .7.

For those of you in the June Playtest, simply download the new build from the same link. Let me know what you think of these changes after playing with them in game.

EDIT: Fixed a bug where you could see forsburn by the dust he creates when dashing and landing. No longer show dust from forsburn in a cloud.

Thanks!
Dan

Last edited:

VROOM99

Smash Rookie
  • Nspecial:
    • Seeds no longer cause any knockback and will not interrupt opponents
Now Forsburn's clone doesn't die from NSpecial anymore. That definitely helps him out a bit.

Last edited:

Big Papi

Smash Cadet
NNID
BigPapi
Already replied on Twitter but putting it here for more in depth

Strong attack nerfs - Agree

Down tilt nerfs - ehhh. I can see why so I'll sorta agree, but I really liked the fact that there was finally a character with a dtilt that could kill. I think it fits for your "grounded rush down" vision for the character, but I thought Orcane was the grounded rush down ?? :p

Up air nerf - no preference, Agree

Up special buff - Yes! Super agree. My brother did this sick and crazy combo in the very first game we played, and then seeing him finish off the combo with up special- only to find out it barely did anything was a huge let down for the both of us.

Now for N special nerfs...sigh
Damage down - agree
Cool down & toss recovery - waiting to see how it is when my brother gets home
No knock back or interference - nooo! It just doesn't make sense to me. Yes it would be nice to have someone with a fox-laser-like projectile, but it can't be a huge acorn! If it was something like leaf or wrastors wind then yeah I'd agree, but throwing a big walnut looking thing should definitely have some type of interruption. My suggestion would be to make it as tiny as possible while still being recognizable as a nut. Idk, I just completely disagree with this specific change. Waiting to see others' thoughts on the projectile change, but I definitely think if somebody's projectile is gonna be knockbackless and non interrupting... It should definitely be Wrastor's, not Maypul's.

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
I don't believe rivals has smash DI (making double stick DI pointless) unless you toggle it on with the keyboard command. Your friends live longer because survival DI is important and cpu's are bad.

IIRC d4nace has said that taunts are not a priority to add.

Also, please don't double post! The edit button exists for a reason, and this thread is already insanely long.
DI and SDI are implemented. There is no toggle.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Would mean 4 controller support too then most likely :p
Yup, I actually have my Wii U adapter working with RoA by using x360ce finally. There are some kinks I've yet to figure out how to bypass (like having to calibrate the controllers when you plug them in or else you can't dash or use the CStick) but 4 GC controllers is definitely possible now. I'll share my setup once I get home from work today.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
The Xbox360ce tutorial is quite nice. We will be looking into how exact the support can be and all the GC adapters it can catch. If things go well we will likely be using that as our official suggestion for GC controllers. (You'll likely have to set specific things inside Xbox360ce to get the dashing and dropping through platforms working correctly). We'll let you guys know how that goes. Would mean 4 controller support too then most likely :p
Guess I should have said it sooner! I figured it out during the March Build when doing custom music, good to hear it's helping a lot of people! Still waitin' for June build though :p

AbsoluteBlack

Smash Apprentice
Oh god the toggle is gone. I never tried it in the new build, my bad. Also maypul redesign! Slow balance is perfect, no need to overcorrect.

Mum

Smash Cadet
Nice! That was a quick response to feedback. The seed changes are interesting, as this actually eliminates the combos my group initially used when playing Maypul. I think it was cool that her speed was left untouched.

VROOM99

Smash Rookie
I think the nerfs are good so far and definitely like Up Special killing, but I think down special should be changed. The character is rushdown in all aspects except with the down special being this unnecessary zoning tool. Not sure what I'd make it though.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
Yup, I actually have my Wii U adapter working with RoA by using x360ce finally. There are some kinks I've yet to figure out how to bypass (like having to calibrate the controllers when you plug them in or else you can't dash or use the CStick) but 4 GC controllers is definitely possible now. I'll share my setup once I get home from work today.
Same issue here. Hopefully I can figure something out, because Smashers really prefer to use their own controllers and it's way too much of a hassle to constantly calibrate every controller. If anyone figures anything out, definitely let me know.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Alright here are the steps I took to get the Wii U GCN adapter to work for Rivals of Aether. Thanks to CaptainCrisb for the x360ce tutorial he posted back on page 58. Here is a link to his original post for those interested.

First, you'll need to download and install Massive's
Wii U GCN USB Driver:
http://m4sv.com/page/wii-u-gcn-usb-driver

Obviously this is a must have if you want to use the Wii U GCN adapter at all on your pc. Make sure you follow all the steps correctly on the webpage or it'll most likely install incorrectly.

Next, you'll need the 32-bit compatible version of x360ce:
https://github.com/x360ce/x360ce

After that, you'll need to extract the Rivals of Aether executable file with a program such as WinRAR or 7-Zip. I'd recommend creating a new folder to place all the files in. Afterwards, place the x360ce.exe into the extracted Rivals of Aether files folder. Now you're all ready to get your controllers set up and working.

Open the GameCube USB Adapter Driver - v3.2 and press start so your inputs will be recognized. Then, open up the x360ce.exe and allow it to create the files x360ce.ini and xinput1_3.dll upon startup. Afterwards though, it'll find the new devices and try to find setting for all 4 of the controller ports, hit cancel for all of them. You'll get 4 error messages and then all 4 controllers will have red squares next to them and the general tab will be blank, you'll have to enter everything in manually. Before you can do that though, click the Game Controllers button on the bottom left hand corner. You're going to have to calibrate the controllers by clicking properties, switching to the settings tab, then hitting calibrate. Please be aware the ports for my adapter are kinda weird, being organized as such: P4, P1, P2, P3. So just wiggle the control stick back and forth a bit on the Test tab to make sure you are calibrating the correct vJoy Device. After initiating the calibration, it will prompt you to:

1. Press any button with the control stick in neutral (I just hit A)
2. Move the control stick in circles
3. Press any button without R/L pressed in and the C-Stick in neutral (Again just hit A)
4. Z Axis = L
5. X Rotation = C-Stick Left then Right
6. Y Rotation = C-Stick Up then Down
7. Z Rotation = R
8. Press Finish down below

Now your controller is properly calibrated for use and you can create your general setting on x360ce. Luckily for you I have a screenshot with everything all set up for you, just replicate everything you see here for each controller tab:

And there you go, the Wii U GCN adapter will now work with RoA and with 4 players using GC controllers! It is a bit more work having to calibrate the controllers and opening up the drivers program every time you want to play, but it gets the job done. Have fun finally being able to use your Wii U adapter with RoA!

Big Papi

Smash Cadet
NNID
BigPapi
Streaming @ twitch /PHrez_Smasher
"Every get in here!"

We main Orcane and Zetterburn. But I'll be playing a good bit of Maypul as well.

Death By Hugs

Smash Apprentice

Still watching Maypul footage. Got some quick nerfs I have come up with. I have updated the build and wanted to get some opinions on these nerfs. I usually like to let things develop but I think these nerfs help get Maypul more in line with her design which is Grounded Rushdown. Also the down tilt nerf is simply because it doesn't look like a kill move and the first hit of Down Strong does that job well enough imo.

June 20, 2015 - Changes:

Maypul, the Sylvan Watcher.
  • Strong Attacks:
    • All her Strong attacks deal 90% of their current knockback when an opponent is not wrapped up. They still deal 100% of their knockback against wrapped opponents.
  • Nspecial:
    • Seed Damage reduced from 3% - 2%
    • 30 Frame Cooldown reduced to 5 Frames.
    • Toss recovery increased from 11 frames to 13 frames.
    • Seeds no longer cause any knockback and will not interrupt opponents.
  • Down Tilt:
    • Down Tilt is no longer a fast kill move but rather another quick combo starter for Maypul's repertoire.
    • Startup decreased from 5 frames to 4 frames.
    • Hitbox size increased.
    • Damage reduced from 9 damage to 7 damage.
    • Knockback scaling reduced from 1.0 to 0.35.
  • Up Air:
    • Final hit knockback scaling reduced from .8 - .7.
    • First two hits reduced to 2 damage each. Down from 11 damage to 9 damage total.
  • Up Special
    • Unmarked knockback scaling increased from .5 - .7.

For those of you in the June Playtest, simply download the new build from the same link. Let me know what you think of these changes after playing with them in game.

EDIT: Fixed a bug where you could see forsburn by the dust he creates when dashing and landing. No longer show dust from forsburn in a cloud.

Thanks!
Dan
I think most of these nerfs are sensible; however, I don't like the fact that seeds no longer give knockback. I agree it can get annoying when someone is spamming, but it was actually a good edgeguarding tool. I personally think her seed effect should only stay on one opponent at a time. This makes it so you can get punished for using up b to warp to someone. You could also make it so the seed effect doesn't stay forever, because it can really change the outcome of the match (e.g. Kragg vs Maypul two stocks: Kragg hit with seed. At 80% Kragg kills Maypul. Maypul easily comes back because of that one seed. She does side smash, seed, side smash, seed, side smash, up smash. Now the match is reset giving Maypul another chance). To nerf her recovery, you could change her side b into something completely different, maybe an attack that steals health form an opponent. Whatever you do, though, I support it comletely. I am happy to watch this game grow as a whole.

VROOM99

Smash Rookie
I think most of these nerfs are sensible; however, I don't like the fact that seeds no longer give knockback. I agree it can get annoying when someone is spamming, but it was actually a good edgeguarding tool. I personally think her seed effect should only stay on one opponent at a time. This makes it so you can get punished for using up b to warp to someone. You could also make it so the seed effect doesn't stay forever, because it can really change the outcome of the match (e.g. Kragg vs Maypul two stocks: Kragg hit with seed. At 80% Kragg kills Maypul. Maypul easily comes back because of that one seed. She does side smash, seed, side smash, seed, side smash, up smash. Now the match is reset giving Maypul another chance). To nerf her recovery, you could change her side b into something completely different, maybe an attack that steals health form an opponent. Whatever you do, though, I support it comletely. I am happy to watch this game grow as a whole.
She already edgeguards really nicely with f-air (fast and a weak spike angle). Healing mechanics in Smash-esque games are kind of silly unless it's for absorbing certain projectiles to make MUs more varied, or by very difficult execution moves.

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
Personally I agree with all nerfs. Except, the Acorn treatment. Lowering the damage is good, but the knockback needs to stay in my opinion. I've been trying to use the new acorn for a while, but I just don't see the point except for some free damage. Unless I see someone using the new acorns amazingly, I really hope it will be changed.

Last edited:

Big Papi

Smash Cadet
NNID
BigPapi
Anyone else get the bug with the Tags? Mine keep overwriting my old tags that I had customized.

Raytacular

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone! I'm new to the Smashboards, but very familiar with RoA, so I thought Id have my first post here!
Anyhow, I have a concept for the next secondary Air fighter. Its element being Electricity/ Lightning
Link to fighter: http://i.imgur.com/fca3dio.jpg

Name: Coyle (A cool person in the chat helped choose that name during a stream with Bones and ZaoMonichi)
Nickname: The Storms Peak

Species: Echidna

Element: Lighting/ Electricity

Skill: Static Floor
Description of Skill: Using his N-Special, Coyle will shoot pin needles to not only deal damage, but if it fails to land on an enemy fighter it will stick to the side of a wall. Example: Coyle shoots his needle at Zetterburn and he dodges it. The needle will continue until it goes over the edges of a stage and cling itself to one of the sides of the stage. If Coyle gets launched off the stage or he jumps off himself, he can use his U-Special when close enough to the needle to stand on the wall said needle is clinging to. He will only be able to stand there for a short time before the needle disappears, but he can dash shortly to gain some speed in order to recover. Since he lands on his feet when he hits the wall, he will be able to do a jump and his air dodges once again.

Last edited:

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
I havent played with the updated build a lot yet, but so far I really like the change to d-tilt. It feels like it fits the RoA mold alot better and is a pretty fluid and nice way to start combos or continue them.

The change to up-air also seems to bring it more inline with the rest of the cast.

The change to n-special seems to be controversial. I dont know if I have a strong opinion yet, I need to play with real people first, but So far it seems good, It prevents it from being a combo move, which I like, It has lost a lot of utility, but throwing it out is still a great thing to do when you arent near the opponent, or they are running away. More after I play more.

Smashes seem good, I really like that the knockback for entangling people is the same as before.

Mum

Smash Cadet
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/95000717/glitchthatIfoundfirst.gif

Gif of a Kragg wall-jumping glitch. The name of the file is a joke because @ZaoMonichi found it first but i was able to recreate it before he did haha.
I also can't lower the size of the image without some artifacts showing up either, so oops.
lol thats cool, is the trying to send you away from both walls, not just the one you actually jumped off?

I havent played with the updated build a lot yet, but so far I really like the change to d-tilt. It feels like it fits the RoA mold alot better and is a pretty fluid and nice way to start combos or continue them.

The change to up-air also seems to bring it more inline with the rest of the cast.

The change to n-special seems to be controversial. I dont know if I have a strong opinion yet, I need to play with real people first, but So far it seems good, It prevents it from being a combo move, which I like, It has lost a lot of utility, but throwing it out is still a great thing to do when you arent near the opponent, or they are running away. More after I play more.

Smashes seem good, I really like that the knockback for entangling people is the same as before.
Yeah the n-special needed some kind of nerf, so if not removing the knockback, maybe a longer windup? It could still be a situational combo move, like fox's laser, but should it really be a regular one? I feel her kit offers a lot of other options.

Last edited:

AuraSoSaucy

Smash Rookie
I'm a tester and it feels like your stages are a bit too small, that being said it almost makes the game feel mobile for like a handheld or something, and I'm assuming you're not going for that feel, so if you could open up the stages a bit more it leave for some good fighting space mainly for more than 2 players, the stages as they are now are good for 1 on 1 battle, but 2v2 that seems a bit small similar to yoshis story and battle field - Your favorite tester Aura

AuraSoSaucy

Smash Rookie
Also, I've gotten the cpu up to 200% before and have had neutral air moves and non-strong attack moves not hit the cpu far enough off stage or upward to kill them, should after at least 150% nairs be an almost assured kill move at that point? And strong attacks can kill starting at 50% even 40% depending on the positioning, strong attacks kill too early in my opinion, around 65/70% is when they should start to kill or else it just makes it too easy

Last edited:

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Also, I've gotten the cpu up to 200% before and have had neutral air moves and non-strong attack moves not hit the cpu far enough off stage or upward to kill them, should after at least 150% nairs be an almost assured kill move at that point? And strong attacks can kill starting at 50% even 40% depending on the positioning, strong attacks kill too early in my opinion, around 65/70% is when they should start to kill or else it just makes it too easy
Welcome to the world of RoA. This is just how it is: Some moves are designed to kill, and others are designed to combo. Moves like Orcane's Nair or Up Tilt will never kill no matter how high the % is, but his strong attacks and his up air will kill very easily.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Actually Nair offstage with Orcane will kill sometimes at higher percents, just a nitpick. But yeah, certain characters you will see racking opponents up to almost 200% if they can't land their kill moves. And that's alright because at that point most normals will either knock the opponent pretty high for decent landing traps or offstage for an easy edgeguard.

It's something you'll grow accustomed to, and with proper DI you'll find yourself surviving the strong attacks and powerful aerials till around 70-80%.

AuraSoSaucy

Smash Rookie
Welcome to the world of RoA. This is just how it is: Some moves are designed to kill, and others are designed to combo. Moves like Orcane's Nair or Up Tilt will never kill no matter how high the % is, but his strong attacks and his up air will kill very easily.
I believe you are mistaken, the whole point of combo'ing is to get someone to a high percent so they can finish with a strong attack, but if you're already at 200% there is no point in comboing if you can simply strong attack to finish them

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
I believe you are mistaken, the whole point of combo'ing is to get someone to a high percent so they can finish with a strong attack, but if you're already at 200% there is no point in comboing if you can simply strong attack to finish them
Just to add some to what puppy said, RoA was designed to have combo moves with little to no KB growth, and finishers. It is a design choice of the game. Its not the same as Smash, but thats not a bad thing.

To respond to what you said, If the opponent is at 200% the point to combo moves is to get your opponent in a position you can land a smash. So there is still a purpose of it. They help open up your opponent for your finishing moves.

Mum

Smash Cadet

Additionally, the fact that some move just cannot kill forces the player to make more deliberate actions, instead of being able to button-mash.

Chuck Tatum

Smash Apprentice
I much prefer the current knockback system any way.

It is inherently more interesting to be able to play around your opponent's kill moves at high percents. They need to 'actually' get you, 'actually' outsmart you to get the kill. You don't just get the kill for free once your opponent gets high enough and you hit with any random attack.

It makes the game more dynamic/interesting to be able to go 'oh, I may be at 210% but if I can avoid his kill moves I can tack some more damage on.'

This change is one of the main things I prefer in RoA over Melee.

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Do you have to be a competitive smasher to play test?
Not necessarily. It helps when 4nace is looking for novel feedback, but it's not bad to be a casual player as well since it allows for multiple perspectives on the game's development and growth. Obviously they'd want you to be familiar with smash bros games.

Other things that can help you to become a playtester can be things like: ability to show the game off to many people, experience with game design/playtesting, being able to give very good feedback, being able to show off the game to many people, whether it be physically, streaming it, or otherwise.

There's never any harm in applying to be a playtester man.

N00ne

Smash Rookie
Hi, I got the playtest build and will be reporting on my discoveries (like everyone else).

I haven't played long enough to say anything important, but I will definitely be playing it a lot.

I do have one thing important:
RIVALS OF AETHER CAN BE PLAYED ON MAC
All you have to do is use wineskin winery, and install a few winetricks.

Edit: Does color editing work the same as before? I want to try it.

Edit 2: Now I have played some, and here is what I've found so far:
Required Xbox controllers are a little bit of a problem for me, because I have every controller but Xbox. Thankfully, I managed to get a Retrolink Gamecube USB controller to work.

Treetop Lodge can't seem to decide wether it works or not. Sometimes the stage has terrible framerate drops, but other times it works fine.

Maypul beats Wrastor in the air. Maybe the ai is just bad, but Maypul can pull off some crazy stuff in the air. He's probably my main. He reminds my of Roy in Smash 4 for some reason.

I need to look at Maypul's tether mechanic a bit more to see how to use it better. Otherwise his recovery is terrible in comparison to the other characters.

It isn't saving my name for some reason. Is this intentional, or a problem with my installation?

Haven't encountered any glitches yet, but I'm definitely going to try!

Last edited:

Chuck Tatum

Smash Apprentice
Once you focus on it, you shouldn't miss the parry. You're staying outside of Kragg's range until you see the down-b come out. Here's a video example:
Hey just to respond to this: the CPU is not using the down-B in the way that I described. You can block Maypul from running in to parry your down B by properly spacing thrown blocks. you can apply the down-B along with pressure from forward airs and throw it out when Maypul will be unable to run in to range easily.I'll try to post a video of what I mean at some point.

Ill show my Maypul friend this video and see if he can apply it vs my Kragg and maybe post some match videos if we get good footage of the interactions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom