• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
It's calibrated, and works fine on Dolphin. If I had to assume the issue, it may be something to do with stick sensitivity in x360ce. Are they the default settings for you, or am I wrong to assume you're using x360ce?

EDIT: Figured it out kinda, but I'd still like to know the most optimum settings for comparison.
What did you do? because re calibrating for me kind of fixed it, but dash dancing still feels a little.... wrong. So I too think my setting may not be optimal.

Edit: Just to say a little something about Maypul after a bit of play. I agree with others that up-air and her seed projectiles might be a little strong. More so the up-air than the projectiles. Not sure if it requires attention yet though. She is crazy fast. She does seem to have a jab infinite, I got it going against Kragg against his own pillar. Not sure if you can get out of it? but the cpu sure couldnt (and it counted as a combo, so I am guessing not, maybe wall tech?) She is lots of fun so far, love her up-special. I can't wait to play her against people!

Last edited:

Death By Hugs

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing as Maypul a lot and she is AMAZING! I found out some cool tricks with her and I honestly think she is top tier. Edgeguarding is amazing. Since only 40 people have the build, I will try to make a tutorial for her showing off many cool tricks and combos you can pull off with her.

Death By Hugs

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing as Maypul a lot and she is AMAZING! I found out some cool tricks with her and I honestly think she is top tier. Edgeguarding is amazing. Since only 40 people have the build, I will try to make a tutorial for her showing off many cool tricks and combos you can pull off with her.
First things first:
Maypul is amazing! Really cool design and some new interesting moves!
Loving Kraggs new jumping out of a rolling rock after hitting :>
New menu transitions are awesome! Names, custom controls, everything on the UI is really great!

However, Maypul needs a few things addressed (which I'm sure you're aware of at this point). She has a little too much of everything.:
- Side-B can combo like Wrastors old dash attack at low %'s
- Neutral b is like a better falco's laser that you can do from standing, AND gives you her special effect. I feel like for as quick and threatening as her up-B is (as well as devasting vine-grab punishes), that you shouldn't always expect to have the opponent marked. But as of right now, it's extremely spammable and even if it didn't do anything special, its be one of the best moves in the game! I'd suggest making it less spammable, slower (more like a lobbing a grenade than firing a rocket), and maybe not even induce hitstun.
- Up air is a ridiculously good combo-ing / kill move. With the extra height gain / huge knockback, you can get some early kills.
- Burst downwards / sideways attacks that are near lagless that cast her effect.
- Insane movement speed! This just amplifies any other strength she has.

Full disclosure, I haven't played with people yet. But I think it'd be fantastic if she had a couple of very great strengths, and they complimented each other. (I.E. Super fast fighter, has to use speed to get in, great damage builder close range, tricky with up-b mixups, uses vines to get smash kills or depends on gimping utilizing her speed/fair/up-b vines to go off stage). However, right now she has pretty much everything except for a fast-killing smash attack. It'd also be cool to give her other weaknesses, like doing something different with Down-B so that she has trouble coming down (since her D-air hits the ground). Or making the u-air hitbox smaller or higher so that it's harder to hit falling u-airs to start your u-air of death combo.
I do agree Maypyl is completely overpowered. She is definitely top tier. And she actually does have a fast killing smash attack. Her up smash kills at really low percents when charged only about halfway.

Xanthus

Smash Apprentice
Another bug! Hitting Q to go back to the character select screen will freeze and keep the Wisps from Maypul's stage onto other stages (and sometimes, shown on the character select screen).

I know Bones is helping compile a list of bugs for you: is there anywhere else I should post this, or view bugs already reported?

Last edited:

JPIII

Smash Cadet
Am I the only one that feels Wrastor relies on combos too much and has almost no damage output and no kill potential unless you combo into a strong attack.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Another bug! Hitting Q to go back to the character select screen will freeze and keep the Wisps from Maypul's stage onto other stages (and sometimes, shown on the character select screen).

I know Bones is helping compile a list of bugs for you: is there anywhere else I should post this, or view bugs already reported?
Just keep em to here for now. I've found that already but I never reported it haha. Pro tip: Aether and Basic versions stack up onto eachother:

Last edited:

ChimaeraUltimo

Smash Cadet
Some things:

The framerate when I start a battle is pretty bad, but when I click F and resume the battle the framerate jumps to normal.
If Maypul traps Kragg when he is in his side special, his animation continues with the super armor, so its mor dificult to punish.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Some things:

The framerate when I start a battle is pretty bad, but when I click F and resume the battle the framerate jumps to normal.
If Maypul traps Kragg when he is in his side special, his animation continues with the super armor, so its mor dificult to punish.
Hmmm... so I take it that the performance issues are still present in this build? I don't have this build, so can @ RoA_Zam RoA_Zam verify?

Also, @ 4nace 4nace , do you think you could give us an indication of if all the builds have been sent out, whether it be by reddit or smashboards post? A lot of us have been curious and anxiously hoping we get an email soon, but anything that will tell us would be awesome :D

Aizen

Smash Rookie
NNID
AizenCaptain5
Hmmm... so I take it that the performance issues are still present in this build? I don't have this build, so can @ RoA_Zam RoA_Zam verify?

Also, @ 4nace 4nace , do you think you could give us an indication of if all the builds have been sent out, whether it be by reddit or smashboards post? A lot of us have been curious and anxiously hoping we get an email soon, but anything that will tell us would be awesome :D
I am fairly certain all builds have been sent out for this wave. He may add more playtesters in the next coming weeks though.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique

Ive gotten some complaints from @ steak4prez steak4prez about performance issues. I myself have a good enough device to stream and record without lag. I'd gotten slightly better for me but others report it being worse.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
I died a while back on the thread but I'm back now. I was finally admitted into being a tester with June's build, so I'm going to give my first impressions and thoughts before I end up delving any further with exploring the characters and possibly encountering issues (bugs, glitches, crashes, etc.). These are all impressions based on my first 1-2 hours of playing the game, so there's probably stuff I haven't even found out yet.

BTW, I'm aware this game has different names for the Smash equivalent (ie: Strong instead of Smash) so for my own convenience I'll just call them by the Smash terms we all know as it's easier to grasp imo.

With that said lemme just get right to it:
  • I tried getting my Hori Battle Pad to work with x360ce so I woudn't have to use my Wired 360 controller, that didn't work at all so that's unfortunate. While I wanted to emulate as much of a Smash experience as possible, the 360 controller is still amazing and works perfectly fine with this game, so I don't really have complaints towards that.
  • The lack of a shield a-la Smash felt off, as well as the lack of a grabbing function (especially when I'm so used to starting things out with grabs in Smash 4). I do like that you can sorta "Perfect Shield" with the standing dodge input (at least with Forsburn) so that's a good thing to have, especially if mastered. I find it odd that I was't able to act immediately after that parry type of block, but oh well.
  • Wavedashing feels really good and natural, though I found it fairly useless as I could simply run up to people and perform Smash attacks out of my dash, as well as pivot Smashes. They are good for wavelanding and sliding off platforms, and maybe even mindgames and baiting, but as an overall movement option into an offensive option it doesn't seem to be the better thing to do over a dash > Smash.
    Maybe if, like in Smash, you are restricted to using Up Smashes out of dash and keeping forward/down Smashes as static grounded options (and thus usable with the wavedash's slide) it could give more of an incentive to use them, but as it is they don't seem as usable as the games you're basing the movement on.
  • The game likes to drop frames a bit sometimes. I find that every time there's at least 2 smoke clouds from Forsburn, the game will just drop frames like crazy (like it drops to around 40) and it's enough to make it hard to play optimally. It might just be that I lack a good enough computer (which I do), but I wanted to mention this either way. The same thing happens when I use FRAPS, so unfortunately I can't record gameplay with that, and I know of no alternatives.
  • All the characters (arguably barring Wrastor and Kragg) feel really gimmicky. By this I mean how Forsburn was given a spawnable clone, smoke clouds to hide in, Zetterburn's fire damage over time, Orcane's puddles, etc.
    Gimmicks like these could make character balance harder to handle (imo), but at the very least it seems like RoA has no issues with that so far, so feel free to ignore my comments on this.
  • Being able to air dodge and still be able to use recovery options feels a bit too good. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, because, while you can pretty much make it back a lot easier, this game isn't slow paced nor does it take forever to get KOs, so it shouldn't be much of a problem. I guess it's a good thing to have to compensate for the lack of edge grabbing.
  • Forsburn
    He feels amazing. Decent disjoints, good combo and juggling game, decent kill options, good recovery, even better combo potential with the smoke clone, Down B benefits from his clone dying, the smoke cloud with B, and Ftilt. All in all feels like a very solid character, immediately my most fun to use too.
  • Zetterburn
    Also feels really good. Really strong kill power and decent combos, racking up damage is easy regardless because of his fire DOT (damage over time) similar to Olimar's Side B. Good juggling with Uair and can even lead into a kill off the top with Uair string > Up B once they're ready to get out of reach. Another favorite of mine along with Forsburn.
  • Maypul
    Ridiculous dash, I love it. I don't know how to feel about the moveset though, I need to experiment more. I thought the Up B was supposed to be Little Mac esque until I marked my opponent with B, now I get it.
  • Kragg
    Has really good aerials and overall offense for the seemingly staple heavyweight of the game. I think he's a bit too free with his aerials due to there not being any landing lag whatsoever, though it's not like his range is that good so I don't think it's too unbalanced. Need to experiment more as well.
  • Wrastor
    An odd combination of 96% Brawl Falco, 1% Captain Falcon, 1% Marth and 2% Meta Knight. His moves string together somewhat nicely, though he feels weird to use. It's like he's trying to be Falco but not really. Also need to explore them more.
  • Orcane
    Really fun character. Doesn't fit my style but I like its options with the puddles. Also need to try it out more.
And that's all I got for now! Fors and Zetter are super fun, I can confidently call them my mains already. The other characters don't click with me but I'll try them out more as I only just started. Hopefully I can give helpful insight to help out the game development and the other players of these builds.

Thanks for letting me be a part of this, guys!

Last edited:

lecceo

Smash Rookie
If I were to reapply and get in, when would you estimate I would get a build? I also heard that they will be adding more people over the next week, so i was wondering when i should send in an application.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Excerpt from my facebook group with Xanthus and others about Maypul.

Neutral B needs a range nerf and slightly more startup/cooldown, dtilt needs a range up KB down, uair needs a KB nerf, dair needs a slight KB buff, upB without seed needs a slightly shorter cooldown, sideB needs a longer lasting hitbox, wrap mechanic is fine, fair needs a KB nerf and slightly more horizontal KB, bair is good, she needs a bit of a dash speed nerf and her uStrong and fStrong attacks need a percent or two nerf or a KB nerf @ 4nace 4nace

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
My friend was messing around on my computer, and he made FBurns smoke invisible. not sure how, but...

http://youtu.be/aYYD7e4USL8

It's happend multiple times, so it shouldn't be that hare to achive.
video isn't of any real use unless you have steps to recreate it. It could very well just be your computer's graphics card failing to draw them on the screen. Who knows?

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
If I were to reapply and get in, when would you estimate I would get a build? I also heard that they will be adding more people over the next week, so i was wondering when i should send in an application.
Usually the builds are a minimum of a month apart, usually more like 2 or 3. I am actually not sure there even will be another playtester build, but there has been some talk of a more open beta. So waiting for that is probably your best option. As for whether or not more people will be added to this play test, Dan hasnt said there would be so I wouldnt count on it.

is testing still open for this game? I'm interested in testing it.
You can still apply to be a play tester, Directions on the first page. But I believe at this point it may actually be too late? I am not sure. There might be a open beta test later in the summer though, so you may be able to be a part of that. There is no harm in applying though.

lecceo

Smash Rookie
@ someonetookjacob someonetookjacob you mentioned that there would be an open beta sometime soon. I am going to sleep away camp, and we can play video games at night. I was wondering when, because i cant go online there, and want to be able to play with different people, but i cant depending on when/if it is released.

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
@ someonetookjacob someonetookjacob you mentioned that there would be an open beta sometime soon. I am going to sleep away camp, and we can play video games at night. I was wondering when, because i cant go online there, and want to be able to play with different people, but i cant depending on when/if it is released.
I am just a play tester so I dont have any extra info, but I am basing my comment off this from the developer.
"later this summer everyone will have their chance to either try a demo or Early Access on PC." -Dan

So sadly I am not sure when exactly.

@ ChimaeraUltimo ChimaeraUltimo what are you doing to make it happen? Tell us how you made it happen so we can repeat it. Have you tried re-downloading the file from the email you got. Maybe somehow your .exe file got corrupted?

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
I am fairly certain all builds have been sent out for this wave. He may add more playtesters in the next coming weeks though.
So like the March Build? I wouldn't mind that.
Ive gotten some complaints from @ steak4prez steak4prez about performance issues. I myself have a good enough device to stream and record without lag. I'd gotten slightly better for me but others report it being worse.
Hmm... that's odd. Yeah, I guess it's everyone's PC's

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
I've had performance issues on my computer as well. Oddly enough though, it stayed at 60 fps constant, yet I could definitely tell that it was being sluggish. My computer is good enough for sure. A temporary fix that I have found, is that simply playing in full screen (F4) seems to get rid of all the sluggishness.

Boasting Toast

Smash Apprentice
So, I just played the new build after screwing around with x360ce for 2 hours, and I am IN LOVE with Maypul. I love her kit, how fast she moves, and the concept of marking/binding your enemies. I've only had the chance to play a few matches, but I can't wait to play her more tonight when I get home. I'll post more thoughts later!

AbsoluteBlack

Smash Apprentice
@ RoA_Zam RoA_Zam when I got home from work today (i.e just now) I was going to make an almost identical list of maypul balance suggestions, lol. Can I get in on that FB group, per chance? I still refuse to use Skype though >_>

steak4prez

Smash Cadet
I've had performance issues on my computer as well. Oddly enough though, it stayed at 60 fps constant, yet I could definitely tell that it was being sluggish. My computer is good enough for sure. A temporary fix that I have found, is that simply playing in full screen (F4) seems to get rid of all the sluggishness.
Ooh, really? Will test that tonight, the new frame drops can be mean on my comp.
Am I the only one that feels Wrastor relies on combos too much and has almost no damage output and no kill potential unless you combo into a strong attack.
> relies on combos
> no damage output
??

The changes to Wrastor's D-strong make him really good and actually less dependent than he seems on combos. D-strong spikes are real, D-strong also sets up F-strong or U-strong (depending on %). If you're having trouble racking up % try using Neutral - special more. Also, don't make the mistake of thinking he's useless on the ground; his U-tilt is solid. Also, practice landing sweetspot Up-Specials. If it seems like he lacks kill potential it's to balance out his combo potential - get good at those then landing your Strongs will come after. Will be streaming Wrastor a lot this weekend, he was good before and he's even better now. Was on the Maypul hype train for a spell but I'm still gonna work on becoming Bird Jesus.

ChimaeraUltimo

Smash Cadet
I am just a play tester so I dont have any extra info, but I am basing my comment off this from the developer.
"later this summer everyone will have their chance to either try a demo or Early Access on PC." -Dan

So sadly I am not sure when exactly.

@ ChimaeraUltimo ChimaeraUltimo what are you doing to make it happen? Tell us how you made it happen so we can repeat it. Have you tried re-downloading the file from the email you got. Maybe somehow your .exe file got corrupted?
I found out how it happend. Use FBurn on any stage, and once you start the match enter or leave full screen. His smoke clouds will be invisible.

Last edited:

Aizen

Smash Rookie
NNID
AizenCaptain5
So like the March Build? I wouldn't mind that.

Hmm... that's odd. Yeah, I guess it's everyone's PC's
I would assume like The March build if he brings more testers in yeah. It seems unlikely that he will add more from the information i have gathered, but he still may.

JPIII

Smash Cadet
My ROA Tier List
1.Maypul: Ridiculous Dash speed, Amazing aerials, Very far range on neutral b, Up b and bring you to the opponent and extremely fast nair, bad recovery

2.Orcane: Has ridiculous kill power, Fast jab, Neutral b is great for gimping, Nair and Dair are extremely fast, his dash smash is outstanding and great mind games, godlike recovery if you have puddle up, fair is great for comboing into f smash/ gimping

3.Wrastor: Fast Air speed, all aerials combo into each other, smash attacks come out fast, Can't really kill well, good side and neutral b, multiple jumps

4.Forsburn/Zetterburn: (Zetter) Good run speed, neutral b is great for spacing, amazing kill power, the burn does damage over time, decently fast moves, gimpable recovery (Fors) Good kill potential, slow run speed, has the clone which can rack up extra damage while you get smoke, Down b is a good kill move, great recovery

5.Kragg: Slow, heavy, strong, decent kill moves, has great recovery, neutral b has decent knockback, can't combo well

(With all characters I tried to put everything that is good about them, except kragg because I couldnt really find anything good about him :/ sorry, I also put like two or 3 bad things about the character) Enjoy!!

Last edited:

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
Quick bug issue. If you wall cling with Maypul to Kraggs pillar, and Kragg destroys the pillar she continues clinging in the air. Probably she should go into helpless? or at least she should fall.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
So, I just played the new build after screwing around with x360ce for 2 hours
What controller were you trying to configure and how did you get it to work? I was trying to use my Hori Battle Pad (which is technically a Classic Controller) with my CC to PC adapter, and it wouldn't work with the game for some reason even though I'm sure I mapped every button properly.

Boasting Toast

Smash Apprentice
What controller were you trying to configure and how did you get it to work? I was trying to use my Hori Battle Pad (which is technically a Classic Controller) with my CC to PC adapter, and it wouldn't work with the game for some reason even though I'm sure I mapped every button properly.
I configured it for my Mayflash 4 Port Gamecube Adapter. Make sure you're using the 32 bit version of x360ce, extract the contents of the RoA client with WinRaR, and run the "RivalsofAether_June_Playtest.exe" that it extracts.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
I configured it for my Mayflash 4 Port Gamecube Adapter. Make sure you're using the 32 bit version of x360ce, extract the contents of the RoA client with WinRaR, and run the "RivalsofAether_June_Playtest.exe" that it extracts.
I'll try that out next time then, thanks.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
@ RoA_Zam RoA_Zam when I got home from work today (i.e just now) I was going to make an almost identical list of maypul balance suggestions, lol. Can I get in on that FB group, per chance? I still refuse to use Skype though >_>
It's a group for people in my town where i go to college. But I can definitely at least add you on FB if it's easier to communicate that way.

Also: [I cri evrytiem]

AbsoluteBlack

Smash Apprentice
Oh lol I assumed it was an RoA thing. Yeah I'll pm you my fb info.

@ ChimaeraUltimo ChimaeraUltimo Be more specific please >_< this game is super deep and complex. Basic stuff to know:

Spiking someone off the ground yields more stun than a normal attack, leading to better followups.
You can wall jump out of helpless fall, then up special again.
You can act after an air dodge.
Press H to look at hitboxes and the direction they send; j to go frame by frame.
Maypul is broken.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
If networking becomes available in a playtesters build, could someone alert me? I'd be much obliged.
I'm very interested in this game and once did some playtesting, but no one in my area really wanted to test it with me, so I couldn't help much.
If online play becomes a feature, I might be able to help playest more if needed, though, and would like to.

Chuck Tatum

Smash Apprentice
So just to re-iterate Wrastor down-B to up-B is like, crazy good in this build just as I suspected it would be. Wrastor to me has an even shot against Maypul just because he can often kill her at 45-60% with it. I really recommend you guys try this move it is like CRAZY good... feels like pre patch Zburn Dsmash level of power and it can threaten from the air (but be careful cuz air version of down b sucks)

Initial impressions of this build after about 7-8 hours of play:

1) Maypul is EXTREMELY powerful. She feels too strong, I will write a longer post on this later.

2) Forsburn vs Maypul seems very uneven. Maypul can lay down her trap and spam seeds at it to make a wall. Forsburn can't approach without leaving himself very vulnerable to dash attack punishes and Maypuls speed lets her spam seeds from behind the plant and then run away when Forsburn gets close. That whole time, she is threatening big damage combos on Forsburn and he basically has no choice but to approach in to the wall of seeds and get his ass kicked repeatedly. Maypul seed throw clears smoke and clones away with barely a second thought. Forsburn just isn't fast enough to catch her and even if he does she can usually escape pretty easily. Forsburn just doesn't have time to lay down smoke fields let alone eat his smoke. She also has significantly more kill potential off her basic moves than Forsburn and due to her speed and smashes often feels like she outranges him.

3) Kragg vs Maypul seems problematic as well, with Kragg struggling to get any moves out and it seems even harder for him to avoid/escape Maypul combos than Wrastor combos. For those that predicted Kragg to counter her... I don't think that is going to end up being the case.

Last edited:

jhunter_d

Smash Apprentice
I don't have the new build, but I'm wondering if you still don't go into any lag if the first hit of your jab combo / your jab is parried. I know that was the case in the last build, but is this still the case in the new one?

Top Bottom