• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

N00ne

Smash Rookie
Currently streaming over at http://www.twitch.tv/n00neroa/

Edit: Not anymore. Will be streaming again tomorrow from 7pm-9pm EST.

Found Zetterburn's fire on the Title Screen today. I'll post that on Imgur tomorrow.

Last edited:

AbsoluteBlack

Smash Apprentice
twitch.tv/bigfriendlygames

I stream every weeknight at 6 when I'm not sick, play with my roommates and sometimes top melee players (AG|ARC in particular plays with us a lot).

Chuck Tatum

Smash Apprentice
I will do some streams soon as well; I have a pretty solid playgroup and I think we can get some really good matches going.

Forsburn's Back Air

The hitbox for Forsburns back air doesn't really match the animation. The hitbox is only present during his initial stab for a brief moment but he holds his knife out behind him for significantly longer. It creates a very unsatisfying illusion of late back airs passing through your opponent.

I recommend that the animation be shorted so that Forsburn pulls back his dagger faster OR the hitbox remain a few frames longer to make it a bit more reliable. Back air in general is a bit lacking on Forsburn any way so I think it's an example of a small buff that could help him a lot any way.

Either way, I think it needs to be altered to be more visually clear when the knife can 'hurt' and when it cant. Maybe give it a second hitbox with reduced knockback after the initial lunge? (that could be a cool combo linker when used purposefully too.)

Forsburn and Kragg Tip

Btw: for any one still having trouble with Forsburn... wave dashing makes a BIG difference for him because it almost doubles his move speed. I found that my Forsburn skills increased dramatically when I started wavedashing properly with him. It lets you aggress with dash attacks from much further and gives forsburn help with his ground speed where it is sorely neede. My one complaint about this is that a good Forsburn is well served by wavedashing CONSTANTLY which really cramped up my hands after a while.

Kragg as well has a much faster wave dash speed than move speed.

I think at high levels it will be common for these chars to be wavedashing almost the entire match.

Zetterburn Stuff

Does any one else feel that new Zburn is a bit underwhelming? I'm not sure if he's 'weak' or any thing like that but without fire he just doesn't seem to have as solid a core of gameplay. His fire doesn't really seem to kill at significantly lower percentages than other characters smash attacks which renders the mechanic a bit underwhelming now IMO. I preferred it when Zburn just killed in silly ways and it seemed really unfair because that's CRAZY and EXCITING @_@

Kragg's towards B

Kragg's new forward-B is like crazy fun and cool to do. I love the idea and the function.. Unfortunately the increased start up and ending lag makes it very easy to parry and counter. Overall, I feel that Kragg has a tough time dealing with opponents who can parry well as it disrupts his down-B, his thrown rock, his rock break, and his towards-B very easily. I think Kragg's new forward-B needs to have significantly reduced start up time so it can be done without telegraphing/ inside combo's. As it stands right now I feel that a good player should almost never get hit by it unless he makes a stupid mistake.

Maypul Stuff

I think maypul changes are very good and she is mostly right now. it might be good to give her a bit of that power back eventually as I think it might have gone 'too' far but I think it's really cool you managed to make seeds more interesting while still making them more fair and without sacrificing their power AND managed to partially address the Forsburn mismatch all with one change. Nice.

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Thank you to everyone who watched the stream! When I'm back in college a month from now I'll have human players to face off against regularly. I may stream Wednesday as well!

I also want to host a CPU tourney too! I'll set up a poll for people to vote on which character they want to see in the CPU tourney, and I'll have as many numbers of each character as there are votes on the poll. I'll set up a randomized bracket and update it as it progresses. Or maybe even doubles bracket for CPU's?

I dunno. I just want to have fun and relax for a little while. I'll have commentary and possibly a Skype call again with more new stories to tell and memories to be made.

And if anyone has any suggestions for my stream, please suggest anything! I love feedback to improve the experience I present to you all as viewers and I want to be a popular streamer at the forefront of this game, with the players all supporting the bones army. #twitchburn for life.

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
Thank you to everyone who watched the stream! When I'm back in college a month from now I'll have human players to face off against regularly. I may stream Wednesday as well!

I also want to host a CPU tourney too! I'll set up a poll for people to vote on which character they want to see in the CPU tourney, and I'll have as many numbers of each character as there are votes on the poll. I'll set up a randomized bracket and update it as it progresses. Or maybe even doubles bracket for CPU's?

I dunno. I just want to have fun and relax for a little while. I'll have commentary and possibly a Skype call again with more new stories to tell and memories to be made.

And if anyone has any suggestions for my stream, please suggest anything! I love feedback to improve the experience I present to you all as viewers and I want to be a popular streamer at the forefront of this game, with the players all supporting the bones army. #twitchburn for life.
There were some people who weren't super happy that the chat check ups weren't often. I did not mind though. Overall the content was great. #twitchburn

4nace

Smash Ace
@ C Chuck Tatum

Thanks for the feedback!

Forsburn Bair:
Hmm interesting. I will take a look at how long it lasts. I like your idea of adding a longer lasting weak hitbox though. I think that would fit the move quite well without making it too reliable (it is a kill aerial after all)

Forsburn / Kragg tip.
Forsburn wavedashes are super critical for spacing his down tilt. Definitely agree. About the cramping your hands, i havent had that issue. What controller are you playing with btw?

Zetterburn:
I don't think it is so much the nerfs as much as it is your play group evolving. Zetterburn is definitely much stronger when starting out. He begins to drop off a bit due to how predictable he is. That being said, the early kills arent completely gone. Fsmash even got a buff to be even with the others IIRC.

Kragg Fspecial:
That's a super scary suggestion. You can already pretty heavily rely on the fspecial because of the armor and the reward for hitting someone. If it had quicker startup then I would worry about people spamming it in the neutral because why the hell not. Kragg does get beat kinda hard by those who parry well. You could try using more down tilt and jab as both are quick and hard to parry when compared to his other ground options.

Maypul:
I don't find her to be overnerfed as of now. The seed is still strong. It just wont be used to extend combos. I do worry about Maypul playing too campy still though. She can definitely move around quick, spam seeds and keep people at her smash range to play super safe. Though without going into hitstun from seeds, i find it easier to parry her Fsmash.

------

With that being said, I'm already back to work on some new features. Char 7 polish and engine improvements this week.

-Dan

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
@ C Chuck Tatum
Yeah. On the topic of Kragg side-special. If you lowered the start up or end lag new players would be able to abuse it really hard. which is bad. One trixy thing I think you can do (Though I dont think I have tested it much yet, so not sure how easy it is) is that I am like... 90% sure the hurt box goes away when you are turning around, so you might be able to use well spaced and timed turning to bait a counter then punish. I need to turn hitboxes on and test that, but its one idea on how to help side b out.

As for playing against people who are good at countering. Is to counter your rock back at them. Its hilarious and your invisibility will outlast theirs. (Plus alot of the time they try to counter again, but cant because they are invisible.) Another nice thing is to come in with a d-air but miss it to bait a counter. d-air is short enough range its pretty easy to do, and its a scary enough move people who counter alot will often counter out of habit and fear.

To be honest though, Mostly when I win with Kragg against people who are better its like... 80-100% off edgeguards though. You cant parry a rock when you are in the air! Take that Zetterburn with your comboing me to no end! TAKE THAT AND DIE!!

Big Papi

Smash Cadet
NNID
BigPapi
@ C Chuck Tatum

Thanks for the feedback!

Forsburn Bair:
Hmm interesting. I will take a look at how long it lasts. I like your idea of adding a longer lasting weak hitbox though. I think that would fit the move quite well without making it too reliable (it is a kill aerial after all)

Forsburn / Kragg tip.
Forsburn wavedashes are super critical for spacing his down tilt. Definitely agree. About the cramping your hands, i havent had that issue. What controller are you playing with btw?

Zetterburn:
I don't think it is so much the nerfs as much as it is your play group evolving. Zetterburn is definitely much stronger when starting out. He begins to drop off a bit due to how predictable he is. That being said, the early kills arent completely gone. Fsmash even got a buff to be even with the others IIRC.

Kragg Fspecial:
That's a super scary suggestion. You can already pretty heavily rely on the fspecial because of the armor and the reward for hitting someone. If it had quicker startup then I would worry about people spamming it in the neutral because why the hell not. Kragg does get beat kinda hard by those who parry well. You could try using more down tilt and jab as both are quick and hard to parry when compared to his other ground options.

Maypul:
I don't find her to be overnerfed as of now. The seed is still strong. It just wont be used to extend combos. I do worry about Maypul playing too campy still though. She can definitely move around quick, spam seeds and keep people at her smash range to play super safe. Though without going into hitstun from seeds, i find it easier to parry her Fsmash.

------

With that being said, I'm already back to work on some new features. Char 7 polish and engine improvements this week.

-Dan
In regards to worrying about Maypul being campy:
I noticed my bro played a lot less campy after the nerfs. However, when I used Maypul, I felt like her biggest camping tool is the plant. It does have its weaknesses though.
- Pretty slow start up
- Withers away after a short time
- Can be used against Maypul to remove her vine recovery
This last one we discovered recently and I like it a lot. Just a lot to think about in the heat of the moment. If Maypul is too far to side special to cling to the wall AND you're marked, run to the plant. You're no longer marked as soon as you're entangled in the plant = no vine recovery.

Continuing to talk about her recovery, I'd say her vertical wall recovery is a bit much. I've been below the bottom of the screen, unmarked up special, wall cling, jump up, air dodge up, and unmarked up special again. I can see how this should be easily punishable but I've been pretty successful with it. In my opinion, the only way they would punish is to wait it out until the last up special is finished. Not sure how little of lag it has upon landing though.

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
I noticed my bro played a lot less campy after the nerfs. However, when I used Maypul, I felt like her biggest camping tool is the plant. It does have its weaknesses though.
- Pretty slow start up
This last one we discovered recently and I like it a lot. Just a lot to think about in the heat of the moment. If Maypul is too far to side special to cling to the wall AND you're marked, run to the plant. You're no longer marked as soon as you're entangled in the plant = no vine recovery.

Continuing to talk about her recovery, I'd say her vertical wall recovery is a bit much. I've been below the bottom of the screen, unmarked up special, wall cling, jump up, air dodge up, and unmarked up special again. I can see how this should be easily punishable but I've been pretty successful with it. In my opinion, the only way they would punish is to wait it out until the last up special is finished. Not sure how little of lag it has upon landing though.
That's a cool trick (using the plant to remove seeds) that could take away a good chunk of her horizontal recovery and make opponents more weary about using the plant as much.

@ C Chuck Tatum

Thanks for the feedback!

Forsburn Bair:

Forsburn / Kragg tip.

Zetterburn:

Kragg Fspecial:

Maypul:

------

-Dan
Character 7 hype?

Chuck Tatum

Smash Apprentice
@ 4nace 4nace Thanks for the reply! You make very good points as usual. You have a very good feel for what the 'actual' effects of your changes will be which is something I cannot say for a lot of indy devs.

Does any one have viable setups for Kragg's towards-B these days? I really 'want' the move to be awesome but against good players it just feels like parry bait in most situations.

A few ideas I had

1) Even when parried Kragg can jump out of the forward-B, making it a bit less of a free double downsmash.

2) Kragg could 'charge up' his towards-b kinda like Sonic in Sonic 2. That way you could choose when to release and if you charged up long enough it would go so fast it might be very difficult to parry.

3) towards-B can turn faster so you can bait parries and still punish with the towards-B itself.

4) Kragg can 'slow down' his towards B without ending it somehow so he can bait paries and punish with towards-B itself.

Last edited:

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
- Pretty slow start up

As for punishing Maypul's un marked up-b, Its real easy. Just stand on ledge and pop her with a f-smash when she comes above the ledge. Its like... free with Maypul and Orcane. Might trade with Kragg or Zetter but should still work. Forsburn might take some charge to make sure you can land f-smash2. Wrastor.... Maybe charge d-strong above the ledge? Idk... I dont use wrastor...

@ C Chuck Tatum
More on how to hit with Kragg's side-special. If you ever catch someone charging a smash its a good punish to jump at them and then side-special down into them. You might be able to catch someone out of a tech away from you after a d-air with it... but it is tricky to land. I think you just have to be tricky with it and use it against air-born opponents. But as for your Ideas, You might already be able to do 3). If not than I think it might be a valid suggestion. The others are pretty major changes. 1) -Probably shouldnt get Kragg a free escape from the primary means of punishing his infinitely armored move. 2) Is a major change and doesnt really fit with Kraggs -slow character - style... Although I guess I could see some Goron inspiration which isnt a bad thing. 4) Interesting but again I think you can do this by turning around ontop of the opponent, which makes your hurt box go away briefly, then immediately turning around again. I could be wrong about that but I really thought it was a thing.

Really though I think you are trying to turn his side-b into a different type of move than it is. Its not an approach option, and shouldnt be. Give any character a move with infinite armor and an easy way to bate parries or negate parries is a bad idea. Especially for low level or non-competitive balance. Side-b is there to help kragg touch the ground again. Use it against opponents in the air who cant parry you.

I could maybe see giving it armor on start up as a good idea. Though letting it be a combo breaker might be too good?

Chuck Tatum

Smash Apprentice
I feel like most times that I try to side b as a recovery my opponent just waits on stage for guaranteed parry and punish. It starts to seem like a total non-option unless I have some kind of gimmicky read to back it up. Parrying Kragg's side-B leaves him in such a vulnerable position I don't feel that the reward matches the risk (although kragg side-B combos can be pretty insane too.)

Also, in Kragg vs Maypul I feel that kragg really needs wavedash but because of the way that seeds strike airborne opponents... seeds still interrupt wavedashes (technically you're jumping I guess?)

IIRC seeds just end wavedashes immediately.

I feel a real 'need' to wavedash in Kragg/Forsburn vs Maypul matchups to make up some of the speed difference or even just to chase during aggro but Maypul can punish wavedashes so hard with seed + dash attack or other such moves it seems too risky to be worth doing.

Any thoughts on that?

P.S. I am aware my Kragg suggestions are probably kinda stupid but maybe it can get people thinking about a possible change that would be reasonable.

Last edited:

N00ne

Smash Rookie
Stream is still going, join at http://www.twitch.tv/n00neroa/
Edit:
Stream has ended, and three glitches were discovered in this stream.
1.Restarting the game while particles are on screen will cause them to be stuck on the screen forever. Includes particles on Treetop and Zetterburn's fire.
2.Maypul goes through the ground when he uses his Up-B when under the stage.
3.Out of memory occurs about every 15 minutes, allows you to enter the black void.
I will post a compilation of the glitches on Youtube.

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Stream confirmed for wednesday? I'll update on the time as it gets closer. Anyone have any suggestions for what I should do on stream tomorrow?

AbsoluteBlack

Smash Apprentice
Weird momentum things are getting more and more on my nerves. Acorns halting airborne opponents, parries eliminating your momentum completely... The first seems unintended and gives maypul pretty crazy control over the stage despite not doing any real hitstun, and the latter makes crossups just sort of fail. Both are also super startling/unintuitive.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Weird momentum things are getting more and more on my nerves. Acorns halting airborne opponents, parries eliminating your momentum completely... The first seems unintended and gives maypul pretty crazy control over the stage despite not doing any real hitstun, and the latter makes crossups just sort of fail. Both are also super startling/unintuitive.
Do you have recordings of these to explain what you mean? because it's hard to follow what you're saying right now about momentum.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Tip for Maypul incase none of you noticed it yet:

In the starting frames of Maypuls Up Special when grappling onto an opponent, which direction you hold on the left analog stick (left, up, or right) will determine which side of the opponent you latch onto!

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
@ C Chuck Tatum
Yeaahhhh.... I was wrong about Kraggs side-special hit box going away while turning. Sorry about that. I think that could be an interesting thing to add in to bait counters though, Imagine kragg just turning back and forth on top of a person with no hit box until they finally dont counter then unleashing his hit box. Maybe farfetched with how slow he turns but it still gives another mixup which I doesnt seem to powerful or good. As for recovering with side-b... yeah... its again tricky. Its better on the port stage because you can mix up where you land with the platform. If people arent waiting right where you are going to land then just get out as soon as possible, and hope they dont react in time. You can also side-b to the wall then exit it in the air and up b. the just below the edge on a pillar position can be a tricky one to deal with, and if they choose the wrong option you can aften deal with it with upstrong, uptilt, or a rock. But you are right, going towards a grounded opponent with side-b is kind of suicide. It does keep them from coming out and getting you though.... so there is that. If they do decide to jump out after you its a great option.

@ AbsoluteBlack AbsoluteBlack @ RoA_Zam RoA_Zam
I got what you ment Absolute. If you dont bones, get a friend to parry wrastors up-b from a platform. Your DI gets cut out and you just drop in helpless. I kind of thought it was intentional to be used as an edgeguarding thing or to make punishing off a parry easier but I could be wrong. If someone is on top of their parry punishes you would probably get hit weather you crossed up or not though, to be honest.

As for the Maypul n-b... yeah its weird. I didnt know it interrupted wave dashing though. To Bones, it has a similar effect as hitting an areal opponent with Snake's tranquilizer. They just stop what they were doing for like a frame or two. Its really strange. I dont know if its intentional or not. But I dont know if its as much of a problem as you are making out. Remember like 3 days ago when Maypul's acorns had real hitstun. (Just for some perspective) Maybe if you get real good at parrying them then using the invincibility to get in? It should be a lot easier to play around than what they were before.

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
Tip for Maypul incase none of you noticed it yet:

In the starting frames of Maypuls Up Special when grappling onto an opponent, which direction you hold on the left analog stick (left, up, or right) will determine which side of the opponent you latch onto!
But doesn't it only work if you're facing them? I think I saw that on your stream or maybe azprojectmelee's youtube...

Chuck Tatum

Smash Apprentice
I would be surprised if Maypul seeds stunning aerial opponents isn't a glitch/oversight.

Either way; Kragg and Forsburn, imo, really don't need the disadvantage of getting their wavedashes interrupted by the spammable projectiles of the fastest char in the game.

If the seeds must interrupt jumps I guess it's fine but personally I really would like to be able to wavedash in these matchups a bit more easily.

But doesn't it only work if you're facing them? I think I saw that on your stream or maybe azprojectmelee's youtube...
This is correct based on my testing.

Last edited:

Mum

Smash Cadet
Stream confirmed for wednesday? I'll update on the time as it gets closer. Anyone have any suggestions for what I should do on stream tomorrow?
Will you have any friends playing with you? It'd be cool to see some high level RoA play. Other than that, 1v3 bots maybe lol.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
@ AbsoluteBlack AbsoluteBlack @ someonetookjacob someonetookjacob
I got what you ment Absolute. If you dont bones, get a friend to parry wrastors up-b from a platform. Your DI gets cut out and you just drop in helpless.
If any of your moves are parried while you're in the air, you can still DI up or down but not left or right. Dan described it as a side effect of being parried which he likes.

As for the Maypul n-b... yeah its weird. I didnt know it interrupted wave dashing though. To Bones, it has a similar effect as hitting an areal opponent with Snake's tranquilizer. They just stop what they were doing for like a frame or two. Its really strange. I dont know if its intentional or not. But I dont know if its as much of a problem as you are making out. Remember like 3 days ago when Maypul's acorns had real hitstun. (Just for some perspective) Maybe if you get real good at parrying them then using the invincibility to get in? It should be a lot easier to play around than what they were before.
I dont know why and Dan's looking into it as he said.

Also: Unplugging any devices such as headsets or controllers while the game is paused very frequently causes the game to crash.

And another maypul tip: the perfect metronome speed for maypul to throw acorns constantly without ever failing to throw one is 152 bpm. Above that @ 156bpm may seem like it works but it's never 100% consistent.

Last edited:

N00ne

Smash Rookie
Here are two bug videos:

I will upload a third bug when I get around to editing it.

Sir Tundra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Righteous
3DS FC
2938-7133-5824
I don't know if its too late this or not but I would just like to say that you guys have been doing an amazing job so far with Rivals of aether. I've been following this game since day 1 and I've been impressed with how amazing this game has turned out. If you guys are still looking for testers I just sent an application and hope to hear feedback back from you guys in due time.

Last edited:

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
@ RoA_Zam RoA_Zam It looks like there are copyright problems on the music for your latest stream on twitch. I don't think it maters much, but just wanted you to know.

JDude330

Smash Rookie
Hi, zetterburn! I came directly from shofu's stream because you told me to post my ideas on a rather modestly supported idea between the few people that were in the chat.

The main basis for the character is that he was a mantis with swords for claw arm thingies.

with the baseline here, have a few random thoughts :

• The mantis could have attacks centered around focus. This means that he could have buff moves, counters, meditation healing, possibly stuff like that.
  • However, that stuff seems a little too crazy. He could also have this done in making his attacks do more when performed uniquely in combos ( jab combo does alot less than a throw+u air kinda thing)
  • Being a bug, he should be a bit flimsy and was to K.O
  • If you want to make him REALLY crazy, give him illusion attacks to really even up the playing field.
  • but that's just my take on it, if the character gets in in any way, I will be so hype. Will probably get either BETA or xbone version though either way.

EDIT: More thoughts!
  • Due to the fact that there is another bug taking up the EARTH type, if you don't want to make them the same type, i'd recommend air. this would fit well with the theme of swiftness and focus.
  • On the subject of types, I also have 2 beta names for the character: Buzzblade/BreezBlade. ( I know they're dumb, just a few random thoughts)
  • Heck: have a whole moveset hypothetically!
PLEASE CHANGE AS MUCH AS YOU WANT!
Grounds!
neutral a: rapid slice swing. 2%(first hit) 1%(consecutive hits)
down tilt: diagonal strike to the ground. 5% (first hit) 3% (consecutive hits)
side tilt: forward thrust. 8% (first) 4%(consecutive)
Dash attack: Throws whole body into a diving thrust. 15% (first), huge lag after performing, good knockback. no consecutive possible.
SMASHES (or whatever you call these):
side: powerful, yet controlled slice. (add huge effect for dynamic impact, if you wish.) 28-33% (no consecutive)
Up. skyward thrust. 20-24%, good knockback
Down: overhead slice, meteor. 17-20%
airs
up: scissor hand clap thing. 14% (first) (7% consec)
down: basically links downward thrust, but faster. can not be cancelled. 20%, but very risky to use
Back: backwards slice.7% (first) 4% (consec)
forward: a kick attack that sends opponents flying, but has a bit of recoil. 10% (first) 5%(error handler thingy, hard but possible)
will do throws and specials later.

Last edited:
Top Bottom