• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
I think there should be a life/plant elemental warrior, I was thinking that maybe hi down special or something could plant a seed that takes a long time to grow, and can be attacked to be destroyed by the opponent, but when grown is a fruit you can eat to heal yourself, maybe make him a projectile based character because there isn't one yet. Just an Idea...
Dan has considered a projectile based character before. But not for the 6th character. Your hint as to what the character may be about is to look at the game logo

theopenlink22

Smash Cadet
A multiple elemental controlling character? Awesome. Also, is there going to be a expanded top-screen? Because 98% of kills are on the top of the screen... Seems a little unbalanced. Also, Can I Email the Email that is for play tester application about ideas I have on the game?

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
A multiple elemental controlling character? Awesome. Also, is there going to be a expanded top-screen? Because 98% of kills are on the top of the screen... Seems a little unbalanced. Also, Can I Email the Email that is for play tester application about ideas I have on the game?
Not multiple elements. Each character only has one. And there will be coins to tell where horizontally an opponent is just like in smash bros games. And honestly I find that the only characters I kill vertically usually are wrastor and Kragg haha. If you have suggestions or ideas, that's what this thread is used for.

jojr123

Smash Cadet
NNID
jojr123
Don't correct me if you know, as i want it to be a surprise, but my best guess in tree/plant based, as that is the one part of the logo that is missing as a character.

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
I'm pretty sure it's a tree. Read my character suggestion on pg 44. Dan said one of my ideas were similar to the next character, and since treetop lodge is a new stage...

PS: That's a lot of mains.
Huh sounds like cool character
P.S. yeah im not good at choosing a definitive main

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Strange question: Why don't you do kickstarter for this game or something similar? I'm not saying do it, I'm wondering why it hasn't been done before.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Strange question: Why don't you do kickstarter for this game or something similar? I'm not saying do it, I'm wondering why it hasn't been done before.
Dan has already saved up money over time to work on it from jobs he's had. It's not necessary according to him. I've asked him about setting up my stream for donations that I'd send him as well.

oorr23

Smash Cadet
I would love if this were a Browser Game, but a Steam Release/Wii U ;) release would be nice

theopenlink22

Smash Cadet
I would love if this were a Browser Game, but a Steam Release/Wii U ;) release would be nice
It's too big of a game to just put on browser. These people are working very hard to make it, they deserve the money...

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Unless gamemaker studio has an update that allows exporting to Wii U before the time of release, don't count on it being on wiiU. Xbox One and PC are the only planned release platforms right now.

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
Doing a lot of recording matches to capture combos to make a hype vid for RoA.

[get ready]
What do you use to record? I play matches... maybe I should be recording those... I was thinking to my self, when I asked this.

Also, for anyone who hasnt seen it, Prominent Smash-youtuber relax alex posted a short informative video about what RoA is (which is probably the cause of the extra traffic here). It seems to have had a positive reaction, and has over 11000 veiws in under a day. So thats Pretty cool. (Thanks Alex, if you are reading this, for getting the word out there about RoA, and presenting it as so intelligently as its own thing).
Here is a link if anyone want to see it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwTG4kWACcU

Last edited:

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
What do you use to record? I play matches... maybe I should be recording those... I was thinking to my self, when I asked this.

Also, for anyone who hasnt seen it, Prominent Smash-youtuber relax alex posted a short informative video about what RoA is (which is probably the cause of the extra traffic here). It seems to have had a positive reaction, and has over 11000 veiws in under a day. So thats Pretty cool. (Thanks Alex, if you are reading this, for getting the word out there about RoA, and presenting it as so intelligently as its own thing).
Here is a link if anyone want to see it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwTG4kWACcU
Lots of comments about the character designs, Orcane's similarity to Inkling, and if it will come to consoles (most particularly Wii U and 3DS)
And then you've got the plague people who say that the whole video was a paid advertisement or how it's a ripoff *facepalm*
I think people don't understand what Dan's worked on previously and who he's been working with to make this whole game happen.

ChimaeraUltimo

Smash Cadet
Dan has already saved up money over time to work on it from jobs he's had. It's not necessary according to him. I've asked him about setting up my stream for donations that I'd send him as well.
Whats your twitch called? I'd love to donate.

And please try to contact nintendo and sony! If you're ably to port it to the Wii U/3ds/PS4, I think that would bost your sales by quite a bit.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
@ ChimaeraUltimo ChimaeraUltimo My twitch is @zetterburn . I have to set up the paypal donations again for it though. If you donated to me it would go towards new stream equipment, which would be paypal -> parabones@gmail.com

@ Shrooms2090 Shrooms2090 Be patient, Dan views applications in spurts and he'll send out emails with links to new versions to a list of new playtesters all at one time. It took me about 3-4 weeks before I got mine because the next version didn't come out for that long of time.

@ someonetookjacob someonetookjacob Fraps for video recording. Gifcam recording the fraps recording for gifs. Sony Vegas for editing.

@ LiamMail LiamMail It will be on steam, but I can't say that I know what the price will be right now.

@ Supersmash77 Supersmash77 Check the blog posts on the website for just about everything you need to know! http://rivalsofaether.com/blog/

Yut Put

Smash Rookie
Hi! I applied via e-mail for a testing position. I think this game looks really cool, and reminds me of a game I was working on not too long ago(I even almost hired one of the composers for Super Smash Land!)

MochiiBunBoy

Smash Rookie
Because online play is not currently avalible and playtesters ar not allowed to distribute the game, you'd have to join a playgroup if you want to play the game for yourself.
ive been wanting to play the game myself how do i join a playgroup ;;^;;

Supersmash77

Smash Cadet
@ ChimaeraUltimo ChimaeraUltimo My twitch is @zetterburn . I have to set up the paypal donations again for it though. If you donated to me it would go towards new stream equipment, which would be paypal -> parabones@gmail.com

@ Shrooms2090 Shrooms2090 Be patient, Dan views applications in spurts and he'll send out emails with links to new versions to a list of new playtesters all at one time. It took me about 3-4 weeks before I got mine because the next version didn't come out for that long of time.

@ someonetookjacob someonetookjacob Fraps for video recording. Gifcam recording the fraps recording for gifs. Sony Vegas for editing.

@ LiamMail LiamMail It will be on steam, but I can't say that I know what the price will be right now.

@ Supersmash77 Supersmash77 Check the blog posts on the website for just about everything you need to know! http://rivalsofaether.com/blog/
Looks like everything is turning good so far

Death By Hugs

Smash Apprentice
We just released our Rivals of Aether Developer Update for May 2015!

http://rivalsofaether.com/blog/?p=404

Feel free to comment or ask any questions here and I will answer them as soon as I can! Looking forward to an awesome June!

Thanks,
Dan
I'll be doing some vids on Youtube to try to get the word out.

NEW GLITCH FOUND: Set stocks to 99. When you start a match it says [press menu to begin]. When you press pause, instead of pausing, it goes back to the menu as if you had just started the game!

Last edited:

Blazink

Smash Rookie
Will this game have a multiplayer? it looks really fun and competitive at the same time, so i want to attle it out against my friends and some random people online.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Will this game have a multiplayer? it looks really fun and competitive at the same time, so i want to attle it out against my friends and some random people online.
Of course! It wouldn't be smash based if it didn't have multiplayer! It'll have both local and online, so yeah

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
Really liking the look of the new update. The stage and new effects are beautiful. Can't wait to get my hands on this!

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
We just released our Rivals of Aether Developer Update for May 2015!

http://rivalsofaether.com/blog/?p=404

Feel free to comment or ask any questions here and I will answer them as soon as I can! Looking forward to an awesome June!

Thanks,
Dan
Dan, you're awesome for mentioning me QQ. I will be playing Rivals of Aether until I'm the only one left. Then I might stop. But thank you so much, really means a lot.

The Realest

Smash Cadet
@ Blazink Blazink you probably should not be double posting like that, but it is for pc and xbox one, and i believe it is supposed to be released later this year. For your last question, read op...

ChimaeraUltimo

Smash Cadet
Last edited:

theopenlink22

Smash Cadet
I love the new affects, that Is what I was wanting to see and it just makes the game look and fell a lot more satisfying. Hey, just wondering how many total characters there are planned to be?

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
I applied for playtesting 2 days ago, do I get an email if I don't get a Alpha copy?
It might be a while, I do not think you will hear anything at all until a new build comes out (later in june) and even then, If you dont get accepted as a playtester you probably wont get an email saying that.

I love the new affects, that Is what I was wanting to see and it just makes the game look and fell a lot more satisfying. Hey, just wondering how many total characters there are planned to be?
8, two for each element.

Just a note to any new people out there, alot of these questions can be answered in the sticky-ed post on the subreddit (r/Rivalsofaether). So if you guys have anymore questions you should check that out. It was pretty informative last I checked. It might even answer some questions you didnt know you had!

theopenlink22

Smash Cadet
Hey, I am just going to say this from a future buyer of the games point of view. This of course will depend on the price, but one of the reasons I am Okay paying $60 for SSB4 is because of the content. There are over 50 characters to all master and such, and lots of content. If you are going to sell this game with only 8 characters, it isn't really all that much, I would recommend at least doing 12 characters. I know that making a character roster that is balanced and equal is VERY hard to do, but If you add more characters, that may make the meta-game better, more choices and cooler match-ups, etc... Maybe do a mix of each element?
Rock + Fire = Lava / Water + rock = Ice / Ground + Water = Steel? Don't take this offensively, just a suggestion.

Top Bottom