• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
Hey, I am just going to say this from a future buyer of the games point of view. This of course will depend on the price, but one of the reasons I am Okay paying $60 for SSB4 is because of the content. There are over 50 characters to all master and such, and lots of content. If you are going to sell this game with only 8 characters, it isn't really all that much, I would recommend at least doing 12 characters. I know that making a character roster that is balanced and equal is VERY hard to do, but If you add more characters, that may make the meta-game better, more choices and cooler match-ups, etc... Maybe do a mix of each element?
Rock + Fire = Lava / Water + rock = Ice / Ground + Water = Steel? Don't take this offensively, just a suggestion.
If anything, I'd say 8 is a good number. Rarely if ever do all characters get equal use in any form of competitive gaming. Look at League of Legends, where every patch new characters rise to the top. That is because balancing 113 or whatever how many they've got now is pretty much impossible. 8 on the other hand, very manageable.

Also speaking of the price, I'm guessing that it'll be around $15-$20 maybe $25, but I think that's pushing it. I think doing $15 and maybe a $5-$10 expansion thing down the road is the best idea.

Not to mention that the game will feature a lot more than just the regular VS mode. From what we know we'll get;

- A story mode for every character.

- Abyss(?) where you fight off waves of enemies alone, or with a friend, and 'customize' your characters. What that means we don't really know yet.

- Abyss VS where you use your 'customized' characters against each other.

- Online VS mode! Plus Dan has said that ranks might be a thing.

- VS mode as we know and love it.

Overall I'd say this, packaged with 8 characters, and what I assume to be at least 8 stages with Aether/Normal mode 16, seems like a pretty good deal to me honestly. Of course that's up to you to decide though.

Edit: I should add that the prices I suggested are not there to take away from Dan's efforts. I'm sure he'll know in time, how much the game is worth.

Last edited:

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
We just released our Rivals of Aether Developer Update for May 2015!

http://rivalsofaether.com/blog/?p=404

Feel free to comment or ask any questions here and I will answer them as soon as I can! Looking forward to an awesome June!

Thanks,
Dan
Wow those transitions and the effect of a huge blow look beautiful
and so does everything else

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
I'll be doing some vids on Youtube to try to get the word out.

NEW GLITCH FOUND: Set stocks to 99. When you start a match it says [press menu to begin]. When you press pause, instead of pausing, it goes back to the menu as if you had just started the game!
Not a glitch. That's what Dan used to show off the game when no one is currently playing it so that he doesn't have to touch anything.

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
This looks awesome! Too bad my PC is **** and I have no Xbone... (if this came to 360 I would rejoice tho)

Xanthus

Smash Apprentice
I haven't been able to participate as much lately, but I've still been playing / thinking about the game! I got to meet someonetookjacob and get more games in with Bones at Shuffle VII a couple weekends ago, as well as showcase the game to some new players! I think I'm going to make a video guide soon because I'm still pretty decisively winning with anybody I play against, including 3 playtesters and anybody else that's tried the game. The one who comes closest is Xexis , who plays an interestingly defensive game with wind-rolling on Wrastor (but like Smash4, once you start baiting / reading the rolls it's easy). And outside of a few cool combo GIFs I haven't seen anything too great from other players out there.

In my video, I'll probably go over some issues that might need to be tweaked. I see a few great changes planned as far as balance goes, but I still have some input. If it's not in the video I'll post it here.

Going to stream some tonight with a new player at 7:00 PM EST! twitch.tv/xanthus1

Also I have a tournament coming up this weekend for Melee / Rivals of Aether, I'll post here when I stream it! http://smashboards.com/threads/jun-...-2v2-and-rivals-of-aether-richmond-ky.404727/

Last edited:

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Nice placeholder Dan XD I remember you doing the same little block for Super Smash Land haha

Death By Hugs

Smash Apprentice
-Once I find a better screen caster, I will put vids on YouTube

-It would be cool if you added stage striking in a future build.

-My bro is having a melee tournament in MI. If possible, I'll bring a setup for RoA and make note of people's feedback.

Aizen

Smash Rookie
NNID
AizenCaptain5
Good news, I will be making time to bring my RoA setup to the local TOs house in the coming weeks so he can test the game, and there is the possibility I can bring it to our local smash tournaments from then on out. From the few close friends and fellow smashers I have had play the game with me all seem to really enjoy it. I haven't had anyone complain about it to me while we played. I'm hoping to get the area here in Minnesota in to RoA so we can have tournaments for it along side our monthly Smash 4 and Melee tournaments :)

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
-Once I find a better screen caster, I will put vids on YouTube

-It would be cool if you added stage striking in a future build.

-My bro is having a melee tournament in MI. If possible, I'll bring a setup for RoA and make note of people's feedback.
-Mirrilis Action! Is one that I definitely prefer. Little to no frame drops, 60fps recording, it works like a charm.
-I think it will happen once a tournament mode has been setup
Also, again, please try not to double post. Simply use the edit option on the bottom of your post to add onto it haha

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
I haven't been able to participate as much lately, but I've still been playing / thinking about the game! I got to meet someonetookjacob and get more games in with Bones at Shuffle VII a couple weekends ago, as well as showcase the game to some new players! I think I'm going to make a video guide soon because I'm still pretty decisively winning with anybody I play against the 3 playtesters I've played so far (and other players that have tried the game),. The one who comes closest is Xexis , who plays an interestingly defensive game with wind-rolling on Wrastor (but like Smash4, once you start baiting / reading the rolls it's easy.). And outside of a few cool combo GIFs I haven't seen anything too great from other players out there.

In my video, I'll probably go over some issues that might need to be tweaked. I see a few great changes planned as far as balance goes, but I still have some input. If it's not in the video I'll post it here.

Going to stream some tonight with a new player at 7:00 PM EST! twitch.tv/xanthus1

Also I have a tournament coming up this weekend for Melee / Rivals of Aether, I'll post here when I stream it! http://smashboards.com/threads/jun-...-2v2-and-rivals-of-aether-richmond-ky.404727/
Xanthus did definitely beat me solidly.
I think a big part of it is how he baited out parries with near-miss aerials and down-tilts frequently. I was pretty much unable to adapt during our playing. He also had a better sense of follow ups than I did, so he was getting alot more out of his hits than me. The second part was likely just from him having played the game more (especially against people proficient with teching and DI). He is really really good at the game. I wish we had been able to play more! (Also.... wrastors d-tilt is dumb.... )

I played with bones some too. We went pretty even for the most part. He plays alot flashier than me. He would have cool combos. I mostly just... I'm not sure. converted to kills more effectively I guess? My combos certainly didnt go as long as his did. Its nice to see different play styles evolving within the game.

I am excited for your guides. Hopefully if I keep bringing RoA too local things here in Columbus people will start to get better so I have more practice next time we meet. FOR MY REVENGE! So you will be better able to test your skills against me!

Last edited:

AdmiralIsaac

Smash Rookie
This game looks awesome! I cant wait to play it. I applied for the early access a few days ago.

What other ateraternate elements will there be though?
ex: Frosburn is smoke not smoke even though he is mainly affiliatied with fire.

Aizen

Smash Rookie
NNID
AizenCaptain5
Will most likely start streaming RoA with friends in the next coming weeks, @ 4nace 4nace if I do not make it on to the next playtester build, is it still fair game to stream the old build or would you rather that didn't happen?

Last edited:

Death By Hugs

Smash Apprentice
-Mirrilis Action! Is one that I definitely prefer. Little to no frame drops, 60fps recording, it works like a charm.
-I think it will happen once a tournament mode has been setup
Also, again, please try not to double post. Simply use the edit option on the bottom of your post to add onto it haha
1.Is Mirrilis Action free?
2. Sorry for DPing

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
1.Is Mirrilis Action free?
2. Sorry for DPing
You have to deal with their watermark if you get the free version, but buying it is very, very worth it. Stuff like Bandicam and Fraps always slow down my computer, even with optimal settings, but Action! runs with no issues for me every time (and the footage always looks amazing, even in the free version)

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Here it is folks, every Wrastor related sprite in RoA's March Build. I'm currently organizing it, and that'll take a while D:

4nace

Smash Ace
Will most likely start streaming RoA with friends in the next coming weeks, @ 4nace 4nace if I do not make it on to the next playtester build, is it still fair game to stream the old build or would you rather that didn't happen?
Hadn't thought about that. I would say its on a case by case basis. Depends on viewership and other variables. Probably don't want too much old gameplay being played live.

I'll let you know once we are closer to the next build.

-Dan

jhunter_d

Smash Apprentice
We just released our Rivals of Aether Developer Update for May 2015!

http://rivalsofaether.com/blog/?p=404

Feel free to comment or ask any questions here and I will answer them as soon as I can! Looking forward to an awesome June!

Thanks,
Dan
I'm a playtester (who got the March build) but I didn't get a link to the May build. Does that mean I'm off the Playtesting team or is it normal?

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
I'm a playtester (who got the March build) but I didn't get a link to the May build. Does that mean I'm off the Playtesting team or is it normal?
Noooo... he meant blog post, not build update. There is no may build, there will be a june build, its not out yet. I was briefly confused as well.

Where is the download?
Is there any?
There is not, It is in closed alpha. You can apply to be a playtester if you would like. There are directions on the first page, but dont expect to hear anything back until a new build is released. (and maybe nothing ever if you dont get picked.)

Also I just thought of an interesting doubles strategy. You could projectile your partner on purpose and they counter, then you counter. Boom! invincible charge! With some practice and zetter's side b I think this could work. Not sure how practical it is. But I bring it up because it seems like an interesting and unintended side effect of how parries work with team attack on. It could be especially good against opponents who approach from the air.

Last edited:

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
There was no May build, the June one's coming up midway in the month, so you're up to date

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
Here it is folks, every Wrastor related sprite in RoA's March Build. I'm currently organizing it, and that'll take a while D:
Wow these sprites look really cool now i see them out of the game

Nice placeholder Dan XD I remember you doing the same little block for Super Smash Land haha
Sandbag confirmed?

steak4prez

Smash Cadet
When the June build hits in about two weeks I'll try and keep a comprehensive list of bugs on the subreddit so that we don't have to post about the same ones over and over agaijn.

I've been maining Zetterburn since he's been a safer choice than Wrastor in the March build, but I think I'm getting good enough to be the God Tier Bird I was always destined to be... really looking forward to the changes to his D-Strong, since the bird can always use more diverse kill moves. Interested to see how the hitstun nerfs affect him, too, since he has a lot of moves inflicting weird-ish hitstun that keep him safe.

EDIT: One QoL touchup I'd like to see is if the black box that appears around a player or CPU's marker when they hit 100% were to change opacity. Like, a very slow flashing or pulsing animation. As it stands it's still hard to keep track of percentages in the heat of battle, and I feel that having the black box be a little more visually dynamic could make a world of difference.

Last edited:

KMAL

Smash Apprentice
This is my first time viewing this thread but I have been following this game ever since I heard about it. Just wanted to say that i'm really excited for this game and can't wait to play it.

Chuck Tatum

Smash Apprentice
Wow there is so much exciting stuff going on in this thread. The new build looks insane, although I feel that the shader effect on those big hits is a 'bit' too spectacular/distracting but it looks very good.

So many cool videos, that Alex video on youtube is great and is definitely great hype for the game. Is there an interest for match videos between my group of players?

Also: I can't find any videos online of 'top' players playing matches or games. The most recent tournament videos I can find are from March. I really want to see how the metagame has developed among the 'best' players and what they are doing. Are there any videos available I don't know about?

Xanthus... did you ever upload those tournament videos? @_@

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
I want to sort of take a poll from you all of what you want to see me make videos of. Here are your options currently of what I have in mind. Suggest more if you want to know more of the game.

• Character movesets (cleaner tutorials)
  • Recovery moves
  • Wall jumps, airdodges, stalling
  • DI and SDI
  • Opinions on certain character matchups (give which ones you'd want)
  • Differences/Similarities between RoA and other fighting games
  • Stage discussion
  • What I want to see added in/changed
  • What other people want to see added in/changed
  • Artwork creation (will take a while since I'm super slow)
  • General game mechanics like techs, rolls, parrying, and more
  • Playing defensively vs playing offensively
  • Anything you guys want to see!
Just let me know what you all want. I'll get recording as soon as I hear what the people want.

furthelulz

Smash Rookie
NNID
zgamingnetwork
It's being built for controllers. You can do everything with keyboard in the development build, but the game is designed for having an analog stick. We have not announced any platforms yet, but it will be a real downloadable game for either PC or Console or both :)
having both pc and console play would be amazing! really looking forward to this game!
perhaps even crossplay online between platforms?

Last edited:

Chuck Tatum

Smash Apprentice
I want to sort of take a poll from you all of what you want to see me make videos of. Here are your options currently of what I have in mind. Suggest more if you want to know more of the game.

• Character movesets (cleaner tutorials)
  • Recovery moves
  • Wall jumps, airdodges, stalling
  • DI and SDI
  • Opinions on certain character matchups (give which ones you'd want)
  • Differences/Similarities between RoA and other fighting games
  • Stage discussion
  • What I want to see added in/changed
  • What other people want to see added in/changed
  • Artwork creation (will take a while since I'm super slow)
  • General game mechanics like techs, rolls, parrying, and more
  • Playing defensively vs playing offensively
  • Anything you guys want to see!
Just let me know what you all want. I'll get recording as soon as I hear what the people want.
I want to see meticulously dissected high level matches from the best players. I want to see a showcase of the technical and mind game dynamics of the current top level metagame. Advanced combos, advanced escapes, advanced recoveries... slow mo replays of well spaced attacks and pressure spacing etc...

Even just match videos from those who seem to be ' top ranked' players would be awesome to see.

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
having both pc and console play would be amazing! really looking forward to this game!
perhaps even crossplay online between platforms?
I want to see meticulously dissected high level matches from the best players. I want to see a showcase of the technical and mind game dynamics of the current top level metagame. Advanced combos, advanced escapes, advanced recoveries... slow mo replays of well spaced attacks and pressure spacing etc...

Even just match videos from those who seem to be ' top ranked' players would be awesome to see.
The game isn't released yet. Kind of hard to pick out top level players when most of us have no way of playing eachother to see. You'd have to wait until we get wifi rolling and have little playtester tourneys and discussions more often.

Chuck Tatum

Smash Apprentice
The game isn't released yet. Kind of hard to pick out top level players when most of us have no way of playing eachother to see. You'd have to wait until we get wifi rolling and have little playtester tourneys and discussions more often.
Bones that's true, so I suppose in context what I mean is 'the most experienced players' and of those players who are meeting and playing competitively across groups the players that are winning. If I am not mistaken a few people have met, there have been a few tournies... and we know certain players are pretty good.

I bet 4Nace is pretty good, I bet you are pretty good, Xanthus seems to have a good reputation. I just want to see really competitive players on equal footing going at it.

Aizen

Smash Rookie
NNID
AizenCaptain5
Is there a way to fix the slowdown with Forsburns neutral B or is it just that my computer just cant handle something with it?

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Is there a way to fix the slowdown with Forsburns neutral B or is it just that my computer just cant handle something with it?
Dans worked a bit on the smoke issue. Hopefully it'll be a bit better in the next version. But then again he's adding a lot more into the game so you never know how it will run performance-wise. It's a guessing game until he goes into the stages where he talks with developers of / using GMStudio and learns ways to effectively reduce GPU/CPU lagging.

Also fun fact about his neutralB: if you spam is quickly you float downwards slower because it stalls you, which can sometimes aid in helping you to not get hit while recovering from above if timed properly.

Top Bottom