• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

TOGOpuff

Jigglyfy the world !
NNID
TOGOpuff
hey all... i've been gone for so long (my pc went to hell and back again...)
haven't got the new build :(
well, happens i guess... maybe it's because i was absent for so long (20+days)...
checked all posts since i was gone... new character looks really fantastic.
I don't agree myself with the rock nerf on kragg but this has been already discussed...

Will be lurking around even if i don't get the new build. Love the game and will keep giving my opinions based on what i see.

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
Kragg's down B should not remain active if Kragg is hit, and Kragg shouldn't be able to move while using it. Either that, or the move should be able to be reflected.
As good as Kragg's Down-b is (Stalagmites?), he really needs them to be good. If you were to nerf them he would need compensatory buffs as he already struggles with being the largest and slowest target. The same goes for his Side-b it gives invincibility for an extended period of time, but without it there are situations that are unwinnable.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
lmao if only this could actually happen:

Marioburn and Luigiburn
This reminds me, I've been meaning to ask: is color editing still a thing in the new build? I mean obviously those aren't examples, but is it still possible?

If I'm being honest, not being able to do it anymore would slightly dampen my interest in this build. :laugh:

Steel Banana

Smash Cadet
New bug to report. This one only applies in Kragg dittos and it really could be considered a feature.

Whenever one Kragg makes a rock block and sets it down, the other Kragg can pick it up. This turns it into Kragg 2's block, which means Kragg 1 can pull another block out. If Kragg 2 does this non-stop, he can have a TON of blocks onstage.

Being able to pick up and throw enemy Kragg rocks is pretty cool and since they can be destroyed in 1 hit by either Kragg, it shouldn't ever be a problem unless someone is actively trying to exploit the rocks. The only problem is that the rocks can cause some weird behavior or lag sometimes.

For instance, I was messing around with it and had my friend encase me in a small fortress of rocks. I then pulled a rock out of the ground, threw it down, and teleported outside the fortress. Also, I raised a pillar through the fortress, breaking about 7 blocks. This caused a pretty noticeable lag spike (although I was streaming with bad settings so it could have been that).

jhunter_d

Smash Apprentice
As good as Kragg's Down-b is (Stalagmites?), he really needs them to be good. If you were to nerf them he would need compensatory buffs as he already struggles with being the largest and slowest target. The same goes for his Side-b it gives invincibility for an extended period of time, but without it there are situations that are unwinnable.
I think that the side-b is definitely good as it is, as you're able to still take damage with it, you just have super armor. I just think that even though Kragg is slow, he's not nearly as slow as some Smash characters IMO and even as a Kragg main, I feel that it's not that fun to hit another Kragg only for their attack to last. (I know that that's also matchup knowledge, but I just see it as a general problem).

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
New bug to report. This one only applies in Kragg dittos and it really could be considered a feature.

Whenever one Kragg makes a rock block and sets it down, the other Kragg can pick it up. This turns it into Kragg 2's block, which means Kragg 1 can pull another block out. If Kragg 2 does this non-stop, he can have a TON of blocks onstage.

Being able to pick up and throw enemy Kragg rocks is pretty cool and since they can be destroyed in 1 hit by either Kragg, it shouldn't ever be a problem unless someone is actively trying to exploit the rocks. The only problem is that the rocks can cause some weird behavior or lag sometimes.

For instance, I was messing around with it and had my friend encase me in a small fortress of rocks. I then pulled a rock out of the ground, threw it down, and teleported outside the fortress. Also, I raised a pillar through the fortress, breaking about 7 blocks. This caused a pretty noticeable lag spike (although I was streaming with bad settings so it could have been that).
Yeah that has been around, and because of the meticulous and fragile way it needs to be obtained I believe it will stay.

Glitch?... nawh, call it a feature.

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
Yeah that has been around, and because of the meticulous and fragile way it needs to be obtained I believe it will stay.

Glitch?... nawh, call it a feature.
But don't the exact conditions make it a glitch? If you could just pull a rock out of another Kragg's rock, I'd agree, but the enemy Kragg has to stand on it too, plus it only works on Rockwall and Merchant Port, so if this will stay, it should at least work on all stages.

akf09

Smash Apprentice
thanks of pointing out that spike guys, and the kragg block thing has been in since kragg has existed and it doesnt matter because how could that really happen in a real match?

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
thanks of pointing out that spike guys, and the kragg block thing has been in since kragg has existed and it doesnt matter because how could that really happen in a real match?
I think people are misunderstanding me. I'm not saying to have it removed, but it's still a glitch, even if Dan knows about it, I'm sure it was not originally intended. I'm totally fine with it existing though.

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
So I found a glitch with kraggs rock I dont think I have seen posted before. Basically on merchant port if a block is in the middle of the wheel and you get picked up and carried away while trying to pick up the block, you pull a new one instead. I managed to get three of them one time.

upload_2015-3-22_23-48-32.png

I dont know if this is related or not but the moving platforms seemed to stop picking me up after I had two blocks on the field. (made getting a third really hard)

Last edited:

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
(Sorry for the double post... I couldnt get a second picture to post in the first one?)

So I did some more testing, and after pulling an extra block once the spinning platforms seem to only sometimes pick up Kragg, and almost never if he hasnt moved for a bit. Also there seems to be no limit to how many times you can do this with good timing. I built ZB a little prison because he was braking the laws of the Rockwall. foolish fire nation royalty, no respect!

upload_2015-3-23_0-11-31.png

Also, interesting tidbit, if two of your blocks are right next to eachother, and you stand on both and try to pick one up, they both disappear and you only pick up one. (may actually matter in kragg doubles?)

Last edited:

PabloTheDinamic

Smash Rookie
NNID
PabloTheDinamic
3DS FC
5000-3345-6278
(Sorry for the double post... I couldnt get a second picture to post in the first one?)

So I did some more testing, and after pulling an extra block once the spinning platforms seem to only sometimes pick up Kragg, and almost never if he hasnt moved for a bit. Also there seems to be no limit to how many times you can do this with good timing. I built ZB a little prison because he was braking the laws of the Rockwall. foolish fire nation royalty, no respect!

View attachment 43957

Also, interesting tidbit, if two of your blocks are right next to eachother, and you stand on both and try to pick one up, they both disappear and you only pick up one. (may actually matter in kragg doubles?)
This doesn't look planned. That's another huge level! :O

steak4prez

Smash Cadet
Almost to ten posts... almost able to post links...

Hello friends, at 1:30 PM CST today, I will be streaming March build! It'll be my first time streaming so feedback is welcome. Just going to be doing general playtesting and bug hunting. If it goes well I'm going to try and stream for an hour or so on Monday-Friday mornings/early afternoons.

My channel is @ twitch.tv/solarderivative

EDIT: Was going to stream for longer but Twitch went down :-(
EDIT2: Somehow when it went down it also changed my password and won't let me recover it? ok
EDIT3: Looks like they fixed it so I'll probably stream for another half hour or so (until about 3:15 PM CST)
EDIT4: Aww, going back over the recording it looks like I had my mic set too low, someone asked a question and my voice didn't go through :-(

I'll be streaming again tomorrow!

Last edited:

jhunter_d

Smash Apprentice
So, I finally figured out what the problem with Wrastor that I mentioned earlier was. Essentially, if you use his side strong or his up strong UNCHARGED very close to the ground, you'll be stuck in a TON of landing lag. I've been able to reproduce this multiple times and I'll post a video of it soon. If you charge your strong attack, then you'll suffer no lag. This seems like a really big glitch.

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
So, I finally figured out what the problem with Wrastor that I mentioned earlier was. Essentially, if you use his side strong or his up strong UNCHARGED very close to the ground, you'll be stuck in a TON of landing lag. I've been able to reproduce this multiple times and I'll post a video of it soon. If you charge your strong attack, then you'll suffer no lag. This seems like a really big glitch.
I believe the end lag is intentional, but It should probably be there even if you charge it. That being said I am pretty sure someone mentioned this earlier on the forum, but I could be wrong.

ShinyisSilent

Smash Rookie
These are actually intentional.

jhunter_d

Smash Apprentice
Oh. In that case, if it should occur when it's charged, then it's not doing a very good job of doing so. I also think the landing lag should be a bit less. I've lost lots of combos due to it.

Xanthus

Smash Apprentice
Oh. In that case, if it should occur when it's charged, then it's not doing a very good job of doing so. I also think the landing lag should be a bit less. I've lost lots of combos due to it.
It's not supposed to combo, it's a quick strong finishing move , and it's down-side is the recovery frames if you don't charge it / use it higher in the air.

Burnsy

Smash Lord

Yea, as others mentioned above, these glitches aren't new to the build. Me and Zman (azprojectmelee) documented, recorded and explained several of these and other rock glitches in videos we posted about a dozen or so pages back.

Last edited:

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
Yea, as others mentioned above, these glitches aren't new to the build. Me and Zman (azprojectmelee) documented, recorded and explained several of these and other rock glitches in videos we posted about a dozen or so pages back.
I am pretty sure the one I posted about is new (as I think it only works on the new stage) right?

I found another way to preform it by the way. If a rock is on the moving platforms and you are under it will cross over you, and try to pick up the rock you seem to pull a new one instead. I think it is easier this was as once I noticed it I was actually able to do it a second time during a battle. I have not tested it yet though. It probably is caused by something similar as the other method i reported on.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Alright guys, I've been having trouble falling asleep so I decided I'd finish up my Merchant Port basic concept. I personally find that the moving platforms, while being able to create some interesting play with puddles, fire, and rocks (which have seem to create another infinite rock bug), can be a bit distracting and interrupt basic movement and attacks when coming above/below the main platform. Stationary platforms would fix everything, and this is what I have in mind:

I'm a huge fan of this platform layout, and would love to see it make it in someway for RoA, even if it's not on Merchant port. I just saw this as a pretty decent opportunity to use it since it works somewhat well here. Hope I'm not the only one who thinks this way. I just moved the wheel down a bit to vary the platform heights, but this took a lot more editing than one would expect so it took me a couple hours lol.

4nace

Smash Ace
Hey Guys,

Sorry I've been afk for a while. I was sick the past two days. For the next couple of weeks, I will be tackling a ton of "less fun" tasks. I am working on rewriting our controller input logic in order to prepare it for networking. I am also working on custom controls at the same time. Currently I am focused on Xinput first in order to get them working with menus and keep the load a bit more manageable.

Once complete, I will be moving over to DInput and Keyboard. I plan on using a .dll in the PC version of the game to get past the limit of only 2 DInput controllers. As long as that goes according to plan, then the PC version should support up to 4 Gamecube controllers or even mixing and matching of controllers - 2 GC, 1 Xbox, 1 PS4 etc.

There is also a ton more programming work that has to be done on the engine to prepare it for online that will take up the majority of April for me. Development on the 6th Character is under way and I will have news on that in early May so long as I can keep all the tasks going forward. Development on single player modes has begun as well and will mostly remain a secret until close to release.

I wanted to give shoutouts to @ ryfish ryfish and @Venks for their character breakdowns. They are really awesome. I haven't had time to really focus on balance of late but I moved the tournament at my apartment to this Saturday so I hope to get some good testing in then.

Also ugghhh.. that Kragg glitch. I should be able to fix it. Obviously not intended lol. Looks like there are 2. Moving platform and 2 Kraggs.

I do plan on removing the "Kragg can no longer pull a rock from his pillar" in my build for Saturday. I think with the pull time increase combined with the pillar causing a fall state when destroyed, the strategy of using a rock to assist your recovery on Kragg is not as strong. If the playtest goes well, expect that change in a later build with some other balance changes.

After I play and compile some of my own notes on the current balance, I will also be scouting through the thread and compiling some of the thoughts. I do find it quite amusing that nearly every character has been accused of being "over-powered" in the March build. From different sources, I have heard complaints about each of them. For me, I am okay with all of the characters appearing to be too strong in their own ways. What I do want to remove is when un-fun strategies become the optimal way of playing a character. Stalling with Forsburn's Smoke or overly relying on the decoy would be examples of un-fun play. Also a spamming / kitey Kragg who keeps his distance. Those are the types of playstyles I want to hit. The game should be about awesome combos and the tense moment of landing a first hit. Not about spamming your opponent from a range until you can land a finishing blow.

I don't think I'll have an update to the March playtester build this month but I might update it in April to test out the control options once they are working. Just getting Xinput running alone will be a ton of work and I hope to have it ready for my event on Saturday.

Lots of tasks to wrangle but I'm doing my best behind the scenes. Also if you playtesters have cool gifs of combos and gameplay, feel free to post them here or tweet them to me (@danfornace) and I will blast them out for people to see.

Thanks,
Dan

steak4prez

Smash Cadet
Networking hype! Also glad to hear about custom controls.

Hoping to get to consistently streaming every day M-F.
At 8 am CST today I will be streaming March build for at least an hour at twitch.tv/solarderivative
My mic is broken unfortunately but I'm hoping to get a new one next week.

Boasting Toast

Smash Apprentice
I do plan on removing the "Kragg can no longer pull a rock from his pillar" in my build for Saturday. I think with the pull time increase combined with the pillar causing a fall state when destroyed, the strategy of using a rock to assist your recovery on Kragg is not as strong. If the playtest goes well, expect that change in a later build with some other balance changes.
Dan
YESSS THANK YOU DAN, KRAGG WAS NERFED WAY TOO HARD.

MonotoneCulprit

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, I play RoA semi-regularly with a few friends of mine who are play testers, and figured I'd drop some of my thoughts in real quick in regards to Forsburn and what not. As far as giving smoke a timer or cancelling it's output with hitstun I don't think that's entirely necessary given that in order to play smoke a lot and quickly a Forsburn needs both space and time, and most characters have the ability to take that away from him with aggressive play. A Forsburn that retreats in order to put out or hide in smoke can be damned by a chase down which could garner the opponent a hit on Forsburn that simultaneously clears the smoke he was putting out or running to. I find that I can often get free juggles on Forsburns that rely on smoke too much thus making it predictable in it's overuse. Lastly, both smoke and clone (Two major parts of Forsburn's play style) are severely suppressed in the Wrastor matchup where a simple side-special can clear an entire row of smoke and kill the clone quickly and safely from afar while setting up Wrastor for an approach.

I don't consider myself an expert of any kind so I could be incorrect about some of these points, but I figured I'd give my quick two cents.

Cheers,
A Future XBOne and PC Player

Last edited:

steak4prez

Smash Cadet
Thanks to everybody who came to the stream today, double-thanks to everybody who followed!

Okay, so here is an unorganized list of thoughts I pulled from today's 3.5 hour playtesting sesh. If you check my past broadcasts on Twitch you should be able to find examples of all these things. I can provide specific video times if needed. (Scroll down for TL;DR)

• Silly bug with Kragg AI when he uses Up-Special slightly below a ledge (apparently this one's already been reported but at the beginning of my latest video you can see it in action)
  • There is evidently some sort of relationship between the color you choose and the color that is chosen if you select a random opponent. Like, if you choose Zetterburn, and the opponent is randomly chosen as Zetterburn, they will be Red Zetterburn. If you go the next match as Red Zetterburn, random Zetterburn will cycle to Green Zetterburn and stay as Green Zetterburn for all random picks until the next mirror match where the player is Green Zetterburn, then they will cycle to Grey Zetterburn and so on... you should be able to see what I'm talking about if you start up a session, choose a random character, set the opponent to random, play a match, then change your character to exactly the character and color the opponent was, rinse, repeat, etc, etc, etc, etc,e tcgsdafsdf
  • In a match with more than 2 players, Orcane's puddle will be left behind after he loses all stock. Believe this has been reported too
  • There's a weird kink with the results screen for Team Battle matches. In a 3v1 match, the team will share the same score. (Ex. P1(Red) P2(Red) P3(Red) P4(Blue) will produce P1(1ST) P2(1ST) P3(1ST) P4(4TH)) However, in a 2v2 or 2v1, it does not follow this behavior. Instead, you could get something like (Ex. P1(Red) P2(Red) P3(Blue) P4(Blue) yielding P1(2ND) P2(1ST) P3(4TH) P4(3RD)). It's just kind of inconsistent.
  • Actual extreme-ish glitch bug with Results Screen, I have no idea how I made this happen. I think it has something to do with Team Battle and/or Forsburn? It happened twice, once was a 4-player match and seemed to be a regular match until we got to the results screen, where my character portrait was way higher than all the others and the little box that shows the stats and stuff was flashing rapidly. One was a 1v2 match, with 3 stocks, I think I was Wrastor and the two AI I was against were both Forsburn? Or maybe I was Forsburn and the AI were something else. Either way, it was a three-stock match, and after I died once the match ended, with the enemy team both set to 1st (I think so anyway, this contradicts my previous point about them being different) and my character's box was way higher than theirs, not saying anything, doing the same flashing. This is all very convoluted and I should probably just find the time markers.
  • In matches with more than two players, it would be nice if, when one player lost all their stocks, a small message would appear on-screen somewhere saying "Player x defeated!" It's not a huge deal or anything, but it would be a nice quality-of-life thing.
  • I have felt super suspicious of parries and how consistent they are and today I figured out why. If one character parries any part of another character's jab combo, the attacker is allowed to complete the jab combo before receiving the parry stun. That is so weird! I know multi-hit moves like Kragg's Side-Special or Wrastor's Neutral-Special do the thing where they don't get the stun until their attack finishes, but I don't think most people would really expect a jab combo to be the same type of deal, since a jab combo isn't really a multi-hit move.
And that was most of what I got out of today.
I do have one more thing though that isn't strictly data-related feedback and more conjecture-based.
If gameplay stays more or less the same as it is right now, I am strongly worried about this game's single-player. Isn't there going to be something like Multi-Man Melee planned? Unless you are a god at RoA, it is nearly impossible to win a 1v3 game, against AI at least. Or maybe I'm just super bad, which is definitely plausible. But if anyone here has beaten 1v3, then I am super impressed. Anyway, two things make me worry about whatever PvE you guys have planned for this game.
  • Hitstun
RoA prides itself in the hype of stringing together hits, over and over, whether you're smacking your opponent around the stage to rack up early %, or continuously slapping them upwards in an impressive juggling act that quickly turns deadly, or swiftly chasing down your prey, swipe after swipe, until they are just off-stage and ready for that Dair spike. KEN COMBOOOOO!! The crowd goes wild.
Well, when three characters are all going for one, that one character gets locked down HARD. You just stay in hitstun... like... forever.... Eventually you can get out (usually because at this point your % is so high that simple attacks knock you way back), but with the stages being as small as they are, there's not much you can do in the way of establishing map control, or kiting, or guerrilla tactics before the swarm re-descends upon you.

• Parry
AI loves to parry. AI loves to generally follow the same path. So, they group up, and normally this seems like a good thing, because you can theoretically just bash them all with one good Strong-Attack and that's big damage. Once in a while, it even works! But if you're hitting 3 AI at once, it is almost guaranteed that one of the three will put up a delicious, frame-perfect parry. Which leaves you wide open, open for a LONG time against 3 hungry computer-brained animals. And the group beating carries on.

1v2 is feasible, but if you're going to have 1v3 mobs in single-player mode, you're going to have a bad time. Just wanted to bring this up, hoping this is something you guys keep in mind when designing single-player!

TL;DR: You thought you could be saved from the wall of text? I'm sorry

Last edited:

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
Thanks to everybody who came to the stream today, double-thanks to everybody who followed!

Okay, so here is an unorganized list of thoughts I pulled from today's 3.5 hour playtesting sesh. If you check my past broadcasts on Twitch you should be able to find examples of all these things. I can provide specific video times if needed. (Scroll down for TL;DR)

• Silly bug with Kragg AI when he uses Up-Special slightly below a ledge (apparently this one's already been reported but at the beginning of my latest video you can see it in action)
  • There is evidently some sort of relationship between the color you choose and the color that is chosen if you select a random opponent. Like, if you choose Zetterburn, and the opponent is randomly chosen as Zetterburn, they will be Red Zetterburn. If you go the next match as Red Zetterburn, random Zetterburn will cycle to Green Zetterburn and stay as Green Zetterburn for all random picks until the next mirror match where the player is Green Zetterburn, then they will cycle to Grey Zetterburn and so on... you should be able to see what I'm talking about if you start up a session, choose a random character, set the opponent to random, play a match, then change your character to exactly the character and color the opponent was, rinse, repeat, etc, etc, etc, etc,e tcgsdafsdf
  • In a match with more than 2 players, Orcane's puddle will be left behind after he loses all stock. Believe this has been reported too
  • There's a weird kink with the results screen for Team Battle matches. In a 3v1 match, the team will share the same score. (Ex. P1(Red) P2(Red) P3(Red) P4(Blue) will produce P1(1ST) P2(1ST) P3(1ST) P4(4TH)) However, in a 2v2 or 2v1, it does not follow this behavior. Instead, you could get something like (Ex. P1(Red) P2(Red) P3(Blue) P4(Blue) yielding P1(2ND) P2(1ST) P3(4TH) P4(3RD)). It's just kind of inconsistent.
  • Actual extreme-ish glitch bug with Results Screen, I have no idea how I made this happen. I think it has something to do with Team Battle and/or Forsburn? It happened twice, once was a 4-player match and seemed to be a regular match until we got to the results screen, where my character portrait was way higher than all the others and the little box that shows the stats and stuff was flashing rapidly. One was a 1v2 match, with 3 stocks, I think I was Wrastor and the two AI I was against were both Forsburn? Or maybe I was Forsburn and the AI were something else. Either way, it was a three-stock match, and after I died once the match ended, with the enemy team both set to 1st (I think so anyway, this contradicts my previous point about them being different) and my character's box was way higher than theirs, not saying anything, doing the same flashing. This is all very convoluted and I should probably just find the time markers.
  • In matches with more than two players, it would be nice if, when one player lost all their stocks, a small message would appear on-screen somewhere saying "Player x defeated!" It's not a huge deal or anything, but it would be a nice quality-of-life thing.
  • I have felt super suspicious of parries and how consistent they are and today I figured out why. If one character parries any part of another character's jab combo, the attacker is allowed to complete the jab combo before receiving the parry stun. That is so weird! I know multi-hit moves like Kragg's Side-Special or Wrastor's Neutral-Special do the thing where they don't get the stun until their attack finishes, but I don't think most people would really expect a jab combo to be the same type of deal, since a jab combo isn't really a multi-hit move.
And that was most of what I got out of today.
I do have one more thing though that isn't strictly data-related feedback and more conjecture-based.
If gameplay stays more or less the same as it is right now, I am strongly worried about this game's single-player. Isn't there going to be something like Multi-Man Melee planned? Unless you are a god at RoA, it is nearly impossible to win a 1v3 game, against AI at least. Or maybe I'm just super bad, which is definitely plausible. But if anyone here has beaten 1v3, then I am super impressed. Anyway, two things make me worry about whatever PvE you guys have planned for this game.
  • Hitstun
RoA prides itself in the hype of stringing together hits, over and over, whether you're smacking your opponent around the stage to rack up early %, or continuously slapping them upwards in an impressive juggling act that quickly turns deadly, or swiftly chasing down your prey, swipe after swipe, until they are just off-stage and ready for that Dair spike. KEN COMBOOOOO!! The crowd goes wild.
Well, when three characters are all going for one, that one character gets locked down HARD. You just stay in hitstun... like... forever.... Eventually you can get out (usually because at this point your % is so high that simple attacks knock you way back), but with the stages being as small as they are, there's not much you can do in the way of establishing map control, or kiting, or guerrilla tactics before the swarm re-descends upon you.

• Parry
AI loves to parry. AI loves to generally follow the same path. So, they group up, and normally this seems like a good thing, because you can theoretically just bash them all with one good Strong-Attack and that's big damage. Once in a while, it even works! But if you're hitting 3 AI at once, it is almost guaranteed that one of the three will put up a delicious, frame-perfect parry. Which leaves you wide open, open for a LONG time against 3 hungry computer-brained animals. And the group beating carries on.

1v2 is feasible, but if you're going to have 1v3 mobs in single-player mode, you're going to have a bad time. Just wanted to bring this up, hoping this is something you guys keep in mind when designing single-player!

TL;DR: You thought you could be saved from the wall of text? I'm sorry

This is interesting, I havent thought about 3v1 like at all... Maybe if team attack was on that would help? I don't know if enemy AI could handle that though.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Sorry I've been afk for a while. I was sick the past two days. For the next couple of weeks, I will be tackling a ton of "less fun" tasks. I am working on rewriting our controller input logic in order to prepare it for networking. I am also working on custom controls at the same time. Currently I am focused on Xinput first in order to get them working with menus and keep the load a bit more manageable.

Once complete, I will be moving over to DInput and Keyboard. I plan on using a .dll in the PC version of the game to get past the limit of only 2 DInput controllers. As long as that goes according to plan, then the PC version should support up to 4 Gamecube controllers or even mixing and matching of controllers - 2 GC, 1 Xbox, 1 PS4 etc.
Dan
I dunno, that sounds pretty fun to me. :laugh: A lot people I've tried to play with say they can't get into something like this without a Gamecube controller. So for me personally, true DInput support would be a pretty significant update.

Also, since we're talking about new modes, have you thought about adding any more versus modes? (As in alternatives to Time and Stock.) In particular, something like a "Knockout" mode, where the winner is the first player to X number of KOs would be really cool in my opinion.

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
Quick question, is there a list of patch notes available for each Playtester Build?
Somewhat, in the playtester acceptance email we get a brief list of changes from the previous version. I don't have access to some of the earlier builds so I can't comment on those.

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
Somewhat, in the playtester acceptance email we get a brief list of changes from the previous version. I don't have access to some of the earlier builds so I can't comment on those.
Ah, interesting. Maybe with each build if we could get sent a list of Patch Notes, that would be pretty awesome, as mine didn't show any changes from the last version, only Debug Codes and such.

So, after streaming and playing the build for a solid 6 hours total, here are my thoughts.

Zetterburn

Jesus. This character is incredible. The first hit of his Nair true combos into his Strong attacks when positioned correctly. That with the fact that when they're on Fire and you Down Strong them at around 50% and then they die is pretty outstanding. Despite this being my favourite character, I feel like his Fire passive/gimmick needs to be toned down. True combos into incredibly easy kill setups such as this are a force to reckoned with. His Fire is way too easy to put onto the opponent, as the means to do this are from incredibly disjointed hitboxes (see Bair) or outright spammable projectiles. Not to mention that they take DoT from it, but being able to kill as early as 50% from a Down Strong is pretty OP. Otherwise, this character is alright.

Orcane

Being my second most played character, I can glady report that Orcane feels amazing to play. Her Project M Ivysaur-like Dair (which was Ivy's Nair in PM) works amazing and combos into Kill Moves quite well. The Puddles are an amazing way to control space and it feels great being able to teleport to one and kill out of them with Up-B. Almost all of her aerials change her movement and make her feel really fluid (bad pun ayy lmaoo) and pretty awesome to control. Nothing needs changing from a balance standpoint.

Wrastor

Wrastor being one of my least-played characters, there might be a reason for that. I'm not too big of a fan (another pun) of his floatiness, (despite playing Puff in melee) but his aerials are silky smooth and his aerial Strong Attacks are hella powerful. Wrastor's Side-B is pretty godlike, due to how it propels him forward with his Dash Attack and makes his recovery a non-existent issue - Maybe tone the speed he gains down a little.

Kragg

Kragg feels heavy yet fast-paced. His Fair (dropkick) is amazing to combo with, as well as his Nair, which combos into Up-Strong. His Rock-Throwing is pretty cool, and I adore his Up-B, which can be used to chain into Up-Tilt (Which is also a great Anti-Air). Overall he's alright, except for the fact that I feel his Side-B needs to be buffed.

Forsburn

Forsburn's Smash attacks are easily the best part about this character IMO. The first hit has insane range, and is usually good to chain into an aerial, instead of the usual Cape -> Knife attack he has going on. The Shadows/Smoke is interesting too, but I feel like there's not much disadvantage/drawback to having a clone out. Maybe just me though.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I'm going to be making Rivals of Aether content on YouTube, so stay tuned!

Last edited:
Top Bottom