• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

Cowhunter

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cowhunter
Has dash dancing been experimented with yet? If not you could give the new character a strong dash dance game to help him get in.

4nace

Smash Ace
If you do make a super fast dash speed character make it have a similar play style to sonic, you get in then get out as fast as possible
As a usual sonic main, I do have some desire to make a sonic-style character. I think this one will be a bit different though. I'll still implement the hit and run style gameplay but I don't see doing anything like spin dashes which are a big part of Sonic's game. Kragg's side special was originally a lot like Spin Dash and it worked well enough in engine but just didn't fit his playstyle.

Has dash dancing been experimented with yet? If not you could give the new character a strong dash dance game to help him get in.
Yup there is dash dancing. So a character with a fast initial dash will have a good tool to mix up opponents.

JPIII

Smash Cadet
As a usual sonic main, I do have some desire to make a sonic-style character. I think this one will be a bit different though. I'll still implement the hit and run style gameplay but I don't see doing anything like spin dashes which are a big part of Sonic's game. Kragg's side special was originally a lot like Spin Dash and it worked well enough in engine but just didn't fit his playstyle.

Yup there is dash dancing. So a character with a fast initial dash will have a good tool to mix up opponents.
One last question is that since you are most likely posting the update info on the ROA page tomorrow, does that mean you are gonna start checking the play tester applications sometime on friday or next week?

TOGOpuff

Jigglyfy the world !
NNID
TOGOpuff
i can't understand why we are so over the top about a grab.. first we say this game is too zoning oriented and characters had good ways of keeping others away
now we say grab would be too strong
I'm sorry if i'm wrong here but i think grab is the closest range attack we could have...
Weren't some of us complaining about being too hard to get in ? Are we fearing chain grabs ? And if so isn't a big part of the cast of the games we play using this specific strategy ?
Am I missing something ?

Let the grab come and let's discuss after we can experiment with it.
Hold your horses a little bit.

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
All I'm concerned about with a 'hit and run' esque character is that the game might become too defensive. I have no doubts that you'll find a way around it, but when facing a good PM Sonic, I can't do much more than block and dodge, hoping he makes a mistake.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Hey guys,

We have another developer update for February 2015! We aren't revealing the latest character just yet (expect a tease in March!) but we do reveal an amazing new stage with art from Johan Vinet!

Check out the information here:
http://rivalsofaether.com/blog/?p=239

Thanks,
Dan Fornace
I don't think the Basic version of the stage should be stationary. I think you should pull an Air Armada and just remove the hazard. That's all. Also, will the water effect the match in any way? Or is it just for looks?

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
He's based off of smoke supposedly JP111. Also, that new stage is looking amazing, I even like the hazards for once! But, I'd also recommend making a slight change to the top platform for the basic form, as it looks rather high. Perhaps something like this:

This design is kinda reminiscent to PM Distant Planet in a way. I also wanted to drop the mill a bit so the platforms weren't on the same level but I didn't have enough time to do that lol.

Quick update from my end since I haven't posted here in quite a while. I've still been bringing RoA to GameClucks weeklies waiting for interest to pick up and for people to actually play the game. And these past couple of weeks I've seen more and more people sitting down to give it a try. Hopefully people start feeling comfortable enough with the game for me to start recording some matches :)

Last edited:

TOGOpuff

Jigglyfy the world !
NNID
TOGOpuff
I think the new stage is really neat. Completely innovative, The harzard is pretty nice, fun and unique and can be a great tool to improve orcane's ambiguous mix up tools. I really like it. I think the basic mode has the top platform a little too high but won't be able to actually say something until i can test with it.
Design wise i thought at first that Orcane's statue would be on the center of the background but i like it as it is...

I look forward to see this next character it looks really nice and i really like midio's work so i'm really hyped!
Great job once again, Dan and team.

akf09

Smash Apprentice
@ 4nace 4nace awesome new stage it reminds me of 64 DK stage. when do you think we can expect a new update? im very hyped on ROA lately because i finally have som1 to play with that lives nearby

dquarius

Smash Rookie
Its been a minute since i last replied to this thead, moving and such i didnt find the time too so i got the January build and as of now i have no complaints, the music is awesome and wraster can ko more easily

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
The depth of field in the new stage is amazing. It's some very talented pixelmanship.

As far as the silhouette goes, it's pretty difficult to grasp. It kinda looks like it has hair, but it goes way too far down. Maybe the shoulder of his clothing is covered in long fur that matches his hair? Or is it even his hair?

Species-wise, looks like another kitty cat based on the tail and feet. Though he looks a lot scrawnier than Zetterburn. I'd guess he's one of the lighter wild cats like a jaguar, lynx, or ocelot. Or maybe a hyena or something? I'm probably overthinking this.

Anyway, I'm excited as always. Keep doing the stuff!

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
The depth of field in the new stage is amazing. It's some very talented pixelmanship.

As far as the silhouette goes, it's pretty difficult to grasp. It kinda looks like it has hair, but it goes way too far down. Maybe the shoulder of his clothing is covered in long fur that matches his hair? Or is it even his hair?

Species-wise, looks like another kitty cat based on the tail and feet. Though he looks a lot scrawnier than Zetterburn. I'd guess he's one of the lighter wild cats like a jaguar, lynx, or ocelot. Or maybe a hyena or something? I'm probably overthinking this.

Anyway, I'm excited as always. Keep doing the stuff!
The new stage is amazing. The music on it is awesome as well. Really comforting to listen to.

I don't think you're far off at all on the design for the 5th character actually. But that's because I already know what it is hehe. He's gonna have a teaser next week at a con so be prepared for the badassery

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I kinda got a baboon vibe from the silhouette. Another cat would be kinda underwhelming to be honest. More cats would be fine with a larger roster, but with 8 characters I'd expect different species.

The new stage looks nice, but I kinda wish that you could fight in the town. Maybe something like Onett, where you fight around a few buildings.

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
My goodness this stage is amazing, i love the background and the spinning platforms is a great idea
And it may be the only stage i play on aether mode (except for kraggs stage)

also i was just wondering, when does the next playtester version come out?

Burnsy

Smash Lord
I kinda got a baboon vibe from the silhouette. Another cat would be kinda underwhelming to be honest. More cats would be fine with a larger roster, but with 8 characters I'd expect different species.

The new stage looks nice, but I kinda wish that you could fight in the town. Maybe something like Onett, where you fight around a few buildings.
There's no official character that is a cat, just a fan character. Unless you mean Zburn, but personally I'd consider "jungle cat" to be different enough.

Not that I really want it to be a cat. I hate cats. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
There's no official character that is a cat, just a fan character. Unless you mean Zburn, but personally I'd consider "jungle cat" to be different enough.

I saw it as a Hyena.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace

But a lion is still a cat. I was talking about cats as a whole.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
Lion's aren't cats, they're both felines but still separate species :upsidedown:
No. They are cats. They're part of the classification of big cats. Saying they're not cats but felines doesn't even make sense. The definition of feline is "of or relating to the cat family." Feline and cat are pretty much interchangeable. Sorry for debunking the topic.

Sculdeggery

Smash Rookie
Welp i have just found out about this game and aplied for the gametesting,the pics are rather beautifull,hope it will play as good as it looks ;)

Xanthus

Smash Apprentice
VoDs from this weekends tournament are uploaded! I just have Loser and winner finals unfortunately, but here they are! I think they're rather sloppy , but it was fun :p

Rivals VoDs up!
Rivals of aether Loser Finals:

Grand finals:

Last edited:

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
All renders will be improved. They've already been updated on the website. http://www.rivalsofaether.com/characters/
:joyful:Holy crap they look amazing, though the blue does throw me off a little
(im guessing they will be featured in the next update?)

Edit:
Orcanes stage theme i beautiful
Edit Edit: made an improved version on one of the wrastors costumes i made

Last edited:

Supersmash77

Smash Cadet
Finally made it on to the forums! but anyway Thank you Dan Fornace for letting me try out the game early I appreciate it. I did make a review for the the last alpha that was released (probably not the highest quality review ever but hey) and that's pretty much all I have to say for now. I will try and post any thoughts or ideas I have but for now. Supersmash77, over & out (oh, and btw the new stage looks awesome)

Conradical

Smash Cadet
NNID
alphamenter
The new character looks interesting. I think it might be a fire monkey. Thats just a guess tho
I dont think that would be a good idea., We already have a fire "type" in Zetterburn. However, I do think that the monkey part is a good idea. He could have banana projectiles that bounce or something.

Top Bottom