• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Next colors I'll work on are shadow colors.
Sexy, what about DI-ing?

DI is in as well. In the playtester build we can toggle between Melee-like DI or smash 4 vectoring + SmashDI.

They're still accepting playtesting applications, but are busy and will take some time to get to them. I applied too, so I hope that I get accepted as well.

Also, on another note, will DInput controllers like Mayflash's GC controllers be supported?
Dan's busy with game stuff. Checking emails constantly for playtester stuff would be a big distraction so he does them all at once in big chunks but it may be a wait.

I use mayflash 2-port D input whenever I play. I've gotten dan to fix some things that are sensitivity issues but as of now I actually have no problems playing just fine with any of my 12 GC controllers that I've tested the game with.

X input feels amazing as well, so just because you may not have a GC controller and adapter for PC, Xbox 360 or Xbox One controllers feel really smooth to play with as well.

I legit think Im gonna get denied to be a playtester. I feel like my paragraph wasn't good enough, also it was 209 words long. -_-
Lack of confidence will get you nowhere good sir. If you feel like you wont be accepted, there's never any penalty for trying again. Discouragement will get you nowhere.

JPIII

Smash Cadet

DI is in as well. In the playtester build we can toggle between Melee-like DI or smash 4 vectoring + SmashDI.

Dan's busy with game stuff. Checking emails constantly for playtester stuff would be a big distraction so he does them all at once in big chunks but it may be a wait.

I use mayflash 2-port D input whenever I play. I've gotten dan to fix some things that are sensitivity issues but as of now I actually have no problems playing just fine with any of my 12 GC controllers that I've tested the game with.

X input feels amazing as well, so just because you may not have a GC controller and adapter for PC, Xbox 360 or Xbox One controllers feel really smooth to play with as well.

Lack of confidence will get you nowhere good sir. If you feel like you wont be accepted, there's never any penalty for trying again. Discouragement will get you nowhere.
Thanks for the words of wisdom, but since its over 200 words long wouldn't it just automatically get disqualified since it didn't meet the requirements?

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Thanks for the words of wisdom, but since its over 200 words long wouldn't it just automatically get disqualified since it didn't meet the requirements?
Dan's lenient. As long as it's not like super long like 300+ words or something. If you can simplify it in any way to have less there for him to have to read through then there's reason why you shouldn't do so.

Mine was somewhere between 150-180 words I think.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
I'm pretty sure my application was exactly 200 words long. That's just the kind of person I am.
Sounds pretty edgy. :awesome:

Just as well. Someone needs to counterbalance my 50 Shades of Pink.

Boasting Toast

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure my application was exactly 200 words long. That's just the kind of person I am.
Mine too, my app was exactly 200.

Sorry I haven't been active lately. I was slammed with a load of projects I needed to get done, and then I got sick to the point of being unable to walk. Just got all my stuff done and it's time to start testing. I'll also fix and reupload my guide I made earlier.

jhunter_d

Smash Apprentice
Being a playtester, I think I can confirm that DInput is indeed supported, there's a guide inside of the playtest email. Apparently it's kinda janky, I wouldn't know as I haven't tried it. The game plays surprisingly well with a XInput controller though.
Awesome! I don't care if it's janky, I love playing any Smashlike on a GCN controller.

Also, my application was *really* short. Like 2 sentences without all the fluff short.

Last edited:

Drazerg

Smash Cadet
NNID
Drazerg
Hm, what happens if a character parries Kragg's UpB?
Also what happens if Orcane's puddle is on Kragg's UpB?

It'd Be cool if taunts were implemented, i'd be satisfied even with a still pose and the model flashing.
I find a Wraster a little OP, I think he should have a bit more endlag after his airial smashes.
Wraster and Orcane looks sick, don't know which i'd prefer maining if I get to play.

Thanks for the reply, nice to see some options, really hope this would somehow be a Nintendo Eshop download with GC controller capabilities, i'd easily pay 25$ for that!

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Hm, what happens if a character parries Kragg's UpB?
Also what happens if Orcane's puddle is on Kragg's UpB?

It'd Be cool if taunts were implemented, i'd be satisfied even with a still pose and the model flashing.
I find a Wraster a little OP, I think he should have a bit more endlag after his airial smashes.
Wraster and Orcane looks sick, don't know which i'd prefer maining if I get to play.

Thanks for the reply, nice to see some options
Last time I checked, Parrying a Kragg up B made it your own, and there was sometimes a glitch where it changed color if you parried it late enough into the up B animation. Kragg can make another one before that one is destroyed if he wanted to. The person who parried it becomes invincible for a short time just like you would for any other attack.

Orcanes puddle remains there until the pillar breaks, then it disappears. If it's made and an Up B from Kragg is made overtop of the puddle, then the puddle displays in front of the Kragg pillar without moving positions. There's a glitch where if the top of a pillar is inside of a platform and a puddle is made within a platform, then removing the Kragg pillar will cause the puddle to remain there suspended in air until another puddle is made or that one is used to make bubbles or teleport to.

Dan was already mentioning taunts a few months back but new characters are of the most concern right now.

Wrastor has a lot of end lag on his Smash attacks that got added in recently. If you short hop and do a smash attack you'll have that end lag there. If you short hop and charge a smash attack with Wrastor for more than 3 yellow flashes (the duration of the end lag normally) then you hit the ground without any end lag. It was a weird thing that I noticed as a side effect of how he programmed it into the game and I like it. I think it's fine as it is though.

If you want easy to pick up, pick Kragg or Zetterburn. Orcane is probably the hardest to pick up and play immediately, with Wrastor being the second hardest to play from the start because of how his smash attacks are so much different.

I personally love playing all of them, but people call me the Zetterburn expert for a reason haha.

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
Who's everyones favorite character in this build? So far Zetterburn is my choice, with Wrastor a close second

Last edited:

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
Who's everyones favorite character in this build? So far Zetterburn is my choice, with Wrastor a close second
Its tough as they all are pretty fun. I'm liking Wrastor best, his combos are fun and working them into openings for his finishers are nice.

Zetterburn also has really nice pressure, but his finishers are a little more rigid as they almost all have to be on the ground.

I never quite follow through with Orcane's combos I keep realizing I could have continued a combo or finished it if I only did something more. For that reason I never feel like I am playing Orcane at his best.

Kragg just seems a little easy at times. He is rather balanced but that is because he struggles getting out of pressure. He hits hard and especially Edgeguards well but he is just limited onstage if pressured and that is not quite as fun.

TOGOpuff

Jigglyfy the world !
NNID
TOGOpuff
i can't decide a fav character. i only can say about fav. matchups.

I like facing

zetterburn with orcane
kregg with wrastor
wrastor
with zetterburn
orcane with kregg

is this our rock-paper-scissors ?

Everyone agrees ?

Last edited:

Boasting Toast

Smash Apprentice
Ever since the start, my favorite's been Kragg. I love how creative his setups are, and I also really love chucking rocks at people :3
Zetterburn's a close 2nd though, my PM Wolf experience really carries over, and I love how the use of his shine depends all on the direction you hit them from, so I can still get shine spikes :)

oksas

oak-sauce
they all look pretty awesome, but I've gotta say Craig looks like a hell of a lot of fun

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
Hey guys! I finished my Orcane guide which was done in the exact same vibe as my Zetterburn guide. Enjoy, and tell me what you think!

Last edited:

Streetwize

Smash Apprentice
You forgot that Orcane can consume the puddle for his side-special. Other than that, this is good. You might want to include a few more tricks not many people will know about such as using the up-special in the middle of a double jump for extra air.

TheHorniestLobster

Smash Rookie
Zetternburn is also my favorite character this build. He is the most fun to play and my best character.

Second is Orcane. He is very fun for me, but my Zetterburn is just leaps and bounds better.

i can't decide a fav character. i only can say about fav. matchups.

I like facing

zetterburn with orcane
kregg with wrastor
wrastor
with zetterburn
orcane with kregg

is this our rock-paper-scissors ?

Everyone agrees ?
I haven't had any troubles with match ups. From my playing experience, I never feel like someone has an advantage due to a character pick.

It is way, way too early to call match ups like this.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Hey guys! I finished my Orcane guide which was done in the exact same vibe as my Zetterburn guide. Enjoy, and tell me what you think!

One thing it might be prudent to show is the aerial version of down-b and its projectile. I think that would be the big question on my mind if I were watching this with no background knowledge. "Can I use down-b in the air?"

That aside, nice work. I'll have to show this to a few people. For this character in particular it's nice to have an exact summary of his tools.

D

Deleted member

How have I not seen this before now?!
A Smash-expy made by the same guy that did Super Smash Land? (With a character that is basically an updated Vaporeon, even!)
With a ****in' fire lion character?

Count me intrigued.

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
One thing it might be prudent to show is the aerial version of down-b and its projectile. I think that would be the big question on my mind if I were watching this with no background knowledge. "Can I use down-b in the air?"

That aside, nice work. I'll have to show this to a few people. For this character in particular it's nice to have an exact summary of his tools.
You know, I knew I forgot something. Glad to know what it was. Whenever the game releases, I'll redo all the guides with all the information I'm missing.

How have I not seen this before now?!
A Smash-expy made by the same guy that did Super Smash Land? (With a character that is basically an updated Vaporeon, even!)
With a ****in' fire lion character?

Count me intrigued.
If you want to know more;
Check out some of my videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJI5spcu6gUiLoS-izimCYA/videos
Or check BoastingToast's video stating the main differences between Smash and RoA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhijU4rbMfw

Last edited:

4nace

Smash Ace
Cool stuff guys. Loving the video content being posted. Keep it coming. There are definitely some interesting playstyles I am seeing come up that are a bit different than the way my friends and I play so that's cool.

I still haven't gotten to the playtester applications yet. Lots of development going on behind the scenes and I don't want to fall behind. I will get to them soon, but I don't have an exact timeline. Just gotta get a boatload of tasks off my plate first.

I should have some news later this month or early March about more content! The next character is playable at this point and we are working through animations :)

-Dan

Drazerg

Smash Cadet
NNID
Drazerg
I should have some news later this month or early March about more content! The next character is playable at this point and we are working through animations :)

-Dan
OooOOoh! :o
Is there a hint you can give us to the characters playstyle? Maybe only the smash character he resembles the closest?
I think the roster would need he's version of the Falcon :)

Last edited:

4nace

Smash Ace
OooOOoh! :o
Is there a hint you can give us to the characters playstyle? Maybe only the smash character he resembles the closest?
I think the roster would he's version of the Falcon :)
Hmm thats a really good question honestly. I can't say there is really a smash character that it resembles in terms of playstyle. The playstyle is based on 'deception' and there really isn't a character that plays quite like this one.

In terms of normals, it does take some inspiration from Smash. There are 2 Marth Aerials and a Lucario Aerial in there. Most of its ground game is fairly unique and doesn't really draw too much inspiration from Smash in terms of visuals at least.

-Dan

Last edited:

Drazerg

Smash Cadet
NNID
Drazerg
As a Marth main and one who loves mind games and deception
The playstyle is based on 'deception' and there really isn't a character that plays quite like this one.

There are 2 Marth Aerials and a Lucario Aerial in there.
-Dan
Really turns me on :)

Just a little tidbit as more characters join in, I would really like to see some kind of PM All-Star stocked mode for this game based on elements, I am unaware of how elements play their role in the game, but an it's version of an elemental crew battle would be sick!

Is he a sword fighter?
From what I see, the game will not showcase weapons and instead use their elements as weapons.
The cast that we see so far are all beast-like, and although could change and I'm open for change, I don't see swords getting implemented.

Last edited:

Conradical

Smash Cadet
NNID
alphamenter
Hey Dan,
I was playing RoA and found out that it is possible to cancel hitstun with an airdodge.

Boasting Toast

Smash Apprentice
Cool stuff guys. Loving the video content being posted. Keep it coming. There are definitely some interesting playstyles I am seeing come up that are a bit different than the way my friends and I play so that's cool.

I still haven't gotten to the playtester applications yet. Lots of development going on behind the scenes and I don't want to fall behind. I will get to them soon, but I don't have an exact timeline. Just gotta get a boatload of tasks off my plate first.

-Dan
HYPEEEEE

Tybis

Smash Apprentice
I've been thinking a lot about this game's stages lately.

The Aether/Basic stage mode distinction has bothered me. How would this work in tournament settings? Would all stages just be set to their Basic forms? And if so, doesn't that exclude the possible depth each stage's Aether traits bring?

As for the stages themselves, I think Air Armada is fairly interesting once you start taking advantage of the spring. It's cool being able to force your opponent up with you.
Rock Wall is neat in that it's a walk-off stage that doesn't have a brain-dead win strategy (I think?) to it because of the lack of grabs in RoA. I also appreciate how projectiles aren't eaten by the pillars like on Luigi's Mansion.

As for new stages, any chance we could see some dynamic/transforming stages, slopes, or damaging hazards (that are reasonable and take player skill)?

Streetwize

Smash Apprentice
I think only select stages have to banned such as Aether Rock Wall so far. The walkoff can still be abused there though (imo) not as bad as SSB itself. Aether Air Armada and Fire Capitol do not have anything drastic to warrant a ban. Wall of Pain may make matches one-sided with the proper reads, but the spring brings depth as shorthops are still possible without triggering it.

All of the stages are fine for tournaments, but if I were the TO I'd ban Rock Wall personally.

Tybis

Smash Apprentice
How can the walkoff be abused? If player A were to camp on the sidelines, then don't they forfeit stage control and put themselves in a bad position vs player B? Additionally, can any of the current characters NOT handle camping?

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
How can the walkoff be abused?
Get a kill from right next to the blast lines either by comboing someone there or luck.

Additionally, can any of the current characters NOT handle camping?
Maybe Kragg as he doesn't have the greatest approaches, but Rivals, as is, will end up being a campy game with how powerful Parries are. I can't react to punish every attack headed my way, but I am almost certain there are people out there who can and will. As I play more I think Parries might be too good, not because I am seeing them abused but because whenever I think of possible approaches every single one is punishable if my opponent stays grounded and Parries at the right moment.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Get a kill from right next to the blast lines either by comboing someone there or luck.

Maybe Kragg as he doesn't have the greatest approaches, but Rivals, as is, will end up being a campy game with how powerful Parries are. I can't react to punish every attack headed my way, but I am almost certain there are people out there who can and will. As I play more I think Parries might be too good, not because I am seeing them abused but because whenever I think of possible approaches every single one is punishable if my opponent stays grounded and Parries at the right moment.
You can parry projectiles so camping isnt a good strategy. My friend who plays Kragg literally only knows how to camp. It's taught me that parrying projectiles is a million times easier than parrying physical approaches. Parries become necessary to know but I think the frame window for them is not too big or too small.

Getting an opponent into the air is a big part of the game since you can't parry in air. That's why Wrastor is great and comboing with fair and bair to get someone offstage if wrastor has a side B wind tunnel out. Kragg has rocks and tilts to get people in the air. Zetter has a whole arsenal. Orcane has bubbles Uair smashes etc. Once air control comes into play parries aren't effective anymore. On the ground, orcane and kragg dominate with parries

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
You can parry projectiles so camping isnt a good strategy. My friend who plays Kragg literally only knows how to camp. It's taught me that parrying projectiles is a million times easier than parrying physical approaches. Parries become necessary to know but I think the frame window for them is not too big or too small.

Getting an opponent into the air is a big part of the game since you can't parry in air. That's why Wrastor is great and comboing with fair and bair to get someone offstage if wrastor has a side B wind tunnel out. Kragg has rocks and tilts to get people in the air. Zetter has a whole arsenal. Orcane has bubbles Uair smashes etc. Once air control comes into play parries aren't effective anymore. On the ground, orcane and kragg dominate with parries
I'm not talking about throwing projectiles camping. I'm talking about waiting for your opponent to approach so you can parry anything they send at you. Camping by not attacking.

I'm not good at this technique as my reactions are only average but I can reasonably foresee someone being that good. The root of the problem is one that has been brought up before: there is no counter to Parry.

You are absolutely right in that getting an opponent airborne is very important, but realize that this brings about a very narrow selection of successful strategies. No longer are tech-chasing and approaching from the air reliable options. The best way to play is to stay grounded and safe and allow your opponent to make a mistake. Once both players realize this the neutral game is going to become slow.

I could be wrong or erroneous in my understanding and logic and probably am even if it is insignificant to my main point, but I do want to emphasize that Parries not having a counter need to be addressed. If the window for parries is made easier than the problem will get worse and if it is made harder then parries will be noncritical to the point of random chance.

Grabs are a possibility and so is reducing the penalty for hitting a Parry so it isn't a free punish, but I do think something needs to done eventually.

Tybis

Smash Apprentice
Isn't combo-ing someone across the stage and KOing them skillful?

What mechanics in Aether are hugely influenced by luck? I don't see any character mechanics having any discernible luck-based move yet, and the walkoff stages in this game (so far) have no randomness to them either.

Rivals, as is, will end up being a campy game with how powerful Parries are. I can't react to punish every attack headed my way, but I am almost certain there are people out there who can and will. As I play more I think Parries might be too good, not because I am seeing them abused but because whenever I think of possible approaches every single one is punishable if my opponent stays grounded and Parries at the right moment.
If that's the case, then no particular stage is to blame for that, it's the parry mechanic itself.

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
I just noticed, Wrastor's Down-Special can go through Zetterburn's Down-Special without being ignited. Not sure if that's intentional.

Streetwize

Smash Apprentice
1200 posts... We've come a very long way, don't you all think?
ThisposwaistotallynotmadejusttostealthemilestonemarkKappa

Hey Dan,
I was playing RoA and found out that it is possible to cancel hitstun with an airdodge.
That should only happen during vectoring mode. It's a Brawl aspect Dan decided to balance out by making it work after 50%(I think) stun has passed and increasing the endlag when executed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom