• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

Boasting Toast

Smash Apprentice
Also I'm not sure if anyone has shown this yet, but it's possible for Orcane to have two rising bubble down specials out at the same time. If you shoot out a puddle with neutral special, while a puddle is already on the ground, you can quickly down special before the second puddle is created and then down special again for the double bubble madness.

Double Bubble: http://gfycat.com/KindlyMiserableBittern

GatorFace

Smash Cadet
Hey gang! Just got the Alpha build today! First off: PSYCHED AS ****. Secondly: I may have unfortunately encountered a potential issue. I saw someone earlier talking about the 4-port Mayflash adaptor being plug-and-play, but I've only been able to do the former. There was some method involving switching to the second USB controller that Dan had added to the email, but that doesn't seem to work either! Please help!

EDIT: Tried fixing it the grandma way by restarting my computer, but still to no avail. My computer recognizes my controllers, and they work in other programs, so I am unsure what the problem is.

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Hey gang! Just got the Alpha build today! First off: PSYCHED AS ****. Secondly: I may have unfortunately encountered a potential issue. I saw someone earlier talking about the 4-port Mayflash adaptor being plug-and-play, but I've only been able to do the former. There was some method involving switching to the second USB controller that Dan had added to the email, but that doesn't seem to work either! Please help!

EDIT: Tried fixing it the grandma way by restarting my computer, but still to no avail. My computer recognizes my controllers, and they work in other programs, so I am unsure what the problem is.
You pressed f5 to switch to dInput, right?

GatorFace

Smash Cadet
You pressed f5 to switch to dInput, right?
Yessir! Pressed F5, plugged everything in, Mayflash is on PC mode, everything! It just isn't working though : (

EDIT: So I tried testing this in Dolphin, and my sticks aren't working! I might've found the problem now.

Last edited:

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
Yessir! Pressed F5, plugged everything in, Mayflash is on PC mode, everything! It just isn't working though : (

EDIT: So I tried testing this in Dolphin, and my sticks aren't working! I might've found the problem now.
Wasn't trying to deceive anyone. It worked plug 'n play for me, so I thought it'd work with anybody.

GatorFace

Smash Cadet
Sorry for the big confusion! Turns out my Mayflash bugged the **** out, and wouldn't let me move the sticks. I sorta fixed it, in that I can play, but the ports are all confused; so player 4 is player 1. Still works though! And RoA plays swimmingly! I plan to provide more coverage later today, if I can!

steak4prez

Smash Cadet
Gonna be streaming at 2PM CST! http://www.twitch.tv/solarderivative

Okay, so here are a couple of things I took note of while streaming today.

• Zetterburn and Wrastor cannot fast fall out of Up Special
Forsburn, Kragg, and Orcane can, though. (Kragg and Orcane were a little bit weird to test for though so their ability to fast-fall out of Up Special is mostly irrelevant) I always felt weird about ever using Wrastor's Up Special in particular and this is why.

• When hitboxes/hurtboxes are enabled, hitboxes for projectiles are not displayed
This applies to things like Zetterburn's Side Special, Kragg's Neutral and Down Special's, Orcane's F-air...

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
  • Zetterburn and Wrastor cannot fast fall out of Up Special
Forsburn, Kragg, and Orcane can, though. (Kragg and Orcane were a little bit weird to test for though so their ability to fast-fall out of Up Special is mostly irrelevant) I always felt weird about ever using Wrastor's Up Special in particular and this is why.
Dan noticed it while seeing a gif or a video i showed him that forsburn could fast fall. He set the values independently of eachother which is the reason why some can and some cant. That's just something he needs to note to standardize between all characters whether they can or can't, haha.

• When hitboxes/hurtboxes are enabled, hitboxes for projectiles are not displayed
This applies to things like Zetterburn's Side Special, Kragg's Neutral and Down Special's, Orcane's F-air...
Been like this since the earliest versions of the alpha. Since using moves like that create objects that are separate entities from the player, the hitboxes don't show up when those objects like zetter side Special are made. I've asked him about it before. They're pretty straightforward and none of those projectiles has a hitbox that is disjointed, so I personally don't think that displaying them is necessary. I'll write it down on the list of stuff to show Dan though!

GatorFace

Smash Cadet
Alright, so I've been playing for a while, so I've decided to give my first opinions on the characters!

Zetterburn: So fluid! Jumping around and hitting people with all those amplified smash attacks feels so powerful! I especially love how fast his neutral special shine comes out! My only problem with him is his sprite itself. It's not bad, but when you compare it to someone like Forsburn, it makes you wonder if Dan would ever update it.

Orcane: Definitely one of the most unique characters! Using his puddle mechanic is really fun, especially with how powerful all of the bubbles feel! Although, I could never seem to b-reverse the puddle shoot. Is that a possible change we could see? He sort of suffers the same sprite issue that Zetterburn has, but not really as much imo. Can't exactly complain though because spritework is hard as balls, and they were the first characters made in an alpha game.

Wrastor: COOLEST KID ON THE BLOCK BIRD BOYS 2015. Comboing with him feels fun as hell! It kinda sucks that I have to turn strong button off to play him well and can't running upsmash with him, but it's worth the tradeoff. However, something about his smash attacks feel kinda off. Like, they take a second full of aerial momentum to stop and clap. I like his down smash because it terrifying to see Wrastor loom from above, but the time window to jump cancel out of it is so strict that I have to claw hold the controller (unless I put tap jump on but I'd rather not).

Kragg: HOLY **** I DIDN'T THINK I'D LIKE KRAGG SO MUCH. LIKE DAMN HE'S SO POWERFUL WITH THAT UPAIR AND DAIR. My only complaint is that his run animation has one of his arms stationary, and it looks like he's carrying a cup of coffee. His parry animation could use a bit of detail too.

Forsburn: AKA Lag the character. He's a really neat concept, and I love the way he plays. Especially with the added pressure of his clones, and the super shine down b. But holy **** I cannot properly use the smoke mechanic without it lagging out my computer. However, he has one of the best redeeming qualities of all the characters: his down b without smoke charges is the closest thing to a taunt so far, and I love it.

For non character stuff: the game by default is a bit loud; at least compared to other programs. I have an issue with the stage select and controllers: you can't press B to exit back to character select. Compared to the speed of processing that the rest of the menus have, it feels so sluggish to have to move all the way up to the "Back" button to return to character select. It'd probably be neat to assign a button to change between Aether and Basic mode, too; similarly to how you can press X in Smash 4 to switch the stage to it's Omega Form. It's also kinda lame how one player can completely end the results screen. Like if I want to see my kills, but my opponent wants to be a spaz and mash A. Hopefully these should be simple fixes.

I'm sure we've also seen things regarding the team battle glitches. I experienced this when playing with LeeYawshee: we were playing against two cpus. One lost all of its stocks, and I'm pretty sure the other had two left. However, it died once, the game ended, and the results screen was ****ed up as hell. I think one of them was actually in 4th somehow, but it was 2v2 so.

Speaking of LeeYawshee, he helped me compile some of this data, as we both received the demo and are able to play each other in person frequently. We will both be continuing to do so, and co-crediting ourselves in each of our posts (unless, say, he finds some monumental glitch/tech by himself in which case, the spotlight's his). We're also potentially planning on creating a sort of spreadsheet that documents each characters moves. For instance: detailing their hitbox with text, percent damage, knockback rating, and possibly start/endlag rating. More depth could be added, but for now it's simple pen on paper recordkeeping done by Lee.

Thank you for reading, and sorry for the massive wall of text! Hope I can provide more info soon!

steak4prez

Smash Cadet
Ok, so I just encountered a very bizarre bug while streaming. Gotta wait for the video to finish processing to figure out what it was for sure, but it was craaaaazy.

Until I narrow it down, here's the exact setting of when the bug took place:

Team Battle
Stock: 4
Team Attack: Off

P1: Wrastor (Color: Red) (Team: Red)

P3: [Random] Kragg CPU (Color: Default) (Team: Blue)

Map: Rock Wall (Basic Mode)
What happened: After respawning (Kragg from 3 stock to 2 stock), the Kragg CPU never lost invincibility. None of my attacks would have any effect on Kragg, whether it be damage or knockback. Parrying had no effect, either. Pausing did not solve the bug. Pressing 'H' showed all hitboxes and hurtboxes behaving as normal. Pressing 'N' to set the AI to practice mode and back had no effect. To end the bug, I paused and exited the match.

Expected cause:
  1. There is the known bug where if you hit Orcane at the perfect frame of him making a puddle, he will be able to have more than one puddle. Same with Kragg's Boulder. Could the same type of bug exist with invincibility frames? Did I hit Kragg at the perfect time of coming out of respawn invincibility that he stayed invincible?
  2. Or, similarly but differently, did he parry my attack while invincible from respawn, which prolonged his invincibility frames to... forever?
http://www.twitch.tv/solarderivative/b/647072309?t=1h06m29s

Last edited:

GatorFace

Smash Cadet
Ok, so I just encountered a very bizarre bug while streaming. Gotta wait for the video to finish processing to figure out what it was for sure, but it was craaaaazy.
I think I saw what happened, after seeing this in video format instead of during the stream. Kragg goes into freefall if his pillar is destroyed while he's on top of it. You made him go into instant freefall while he had i-frames which made the game freak out for some reason. So new Kragg tech confirmed.

EDIT: Currently testing if this is true.
EDIT2: Might have something to do with timing, as I tried replicating the event to no avail.

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
I think I saw what happened, after seeing this in video format instead of during the stream. Kragg goes into freefall if his pillar is destroyed while he's on top of it. You made him go into instant freefall while he had i-frames which made the game freak out for some reason. So new Kragg tech confirmed.

EDIT: Currently testing if this is true.
EDIT2: Might have something to do with timing, as I tried replicating the event to no avail.
Has to do with invinicibility conflicting with helpless state. I've recreated it a few times with a friend. It's amusing haha.

GatorFace

Smash Cadet
Has to do with invinicibility conflicting with helpless state. I've recreated it a few times with a friend. It's amusing haha.
Ooooh, I see. I'm guessing that running off the ledge cancels the glitch?

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Ooooh, I see. I'm guessing that running off the ledge cancels the glitch?
Dying does since it resets the states. I'll see if it can be done with any diff character that respawns on it, see if it works with parries involved as well to get an idea of what actually causes it.

So far I've seen that it only works on 3rd port though because of the respawn position. Haven't been able to recreate it on 2nd or 4th slot

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
@ GatorFace GatorFace JK OMG

Works on every character, any stage lmao. Only requires at least one kragg and at least 2 lives per character:

Turning on hitbox mode, only characters that have rolled since becoming invincible show a hitbox.

@ 4nace 4nace Dan pls nerf

Last edited:

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
So out of boredom, I made a simple video of Zetterburn's animations. The quality isn't the best because of my meh computer, but I want to try to give out more videos, maybe even some quick guides to those that are new to the game.

FunctionFn

Smash Rookie
There is the known bug where if you hit Orcane at the perfect frame of him making a puddle, he will be able to have more than one puddle. Same with Kragg's Boulder. Could the same type of bug exist with invincibility frames? Did I hit Kragg at the perfect time of coming out of respawn invincibility that he stayed invincible?
I've also seen something similar happen with Wrastor's projectile.

steak4prez

Smash Cadet
There appears to be a thing where if Kragg's rock is damaged by other characters (not broken) then the rock will go back to having no damage. I haven't yet looked deep enough into this to tell if it's just the sprite that's reset or if the rock's health is reset too.

Chuck Tatum

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I got the march build today. I wasn't able to log in to my old Smashboards account (can't remember if I gave you SpicyCrab or TastelessRamen) but I am that guy. (cape.webb@gmail.com)

Little background; I am a competitive melee player from back in the day and my play group is all super hardcore game nuts. We get salty about every thing and the game is intense enough to keep us coming back every time.

These are my initial thoughts after two marathon sessions playing the game.

Build is super fun and I really enjoyed it. I can provide additional feedback later but here are my initial system impressions:

Characters die FAST, and I don't really mean that in a good way. I feel that often characters get knocked out of the stage and die from ring outs in situations where they could have definitely recovered if they hadn't been auto ring outed. It also seems that power attacks cause an inordinate amount of hit stun. \

Together these two things left me sometimes feeling like I had been cheated by the game, robbed of an opportunity to even try to recover in a situation where I feel I should have been able to give it a shot.

Recoveries in general seem badly balanced in terms of punishes from the stage:

my initial feeling is that on stage edge guard is too good, without ledges to grab on to characters returning to the stage are so vulnerable. Often just camping out with forward smashes by the stage lip seems unassailable from the outside. Worse yet, when you do break through and get back on the stage most up-B's, like Wrastors, have a long recovery time and are very easy to punish. Even when you HIT your opponent with your Up-B (talking specifically Wrastor here since I played him the most), it seems that they will almost always recover first and be able to punish you. I think this should be more like Marth or Samus from melee, direct hits with up-B moves should be very difficult to punish. (Right now I predict as players get better and better it will become very rare to see successful recoveries)

All of this leaves me feeling that the edge guarding game is a lot staler than it should be, and REALLY disincentivizes leaving the stage to edge guard. Characters almost universally seem to want to stay on stage safe and tucked away which I think is a missed opportunity. This game captures the frenetic feel of melee in almost every way but the edge guarding is still missing something.

The design should encourage players to leave the safety of the stage in order to get edge guards and early kills! This is super important and I think it is the weakest point in the game right now.

I recommend the following changes:

1) expand edges of the stage -> it should be rare to die in a situation where you could have reasonably recovered. Don't take away the players opportunity to create hype moments by trying to come back.

2) less hitstun on certain smash attacks. -> it's fine for strong moves to send me reeling but if I arc upwards in to the air, to the zenith of my arc, and then back down and then fall off the bottom of the stage before my hitstun is over that is too much. Once again, let me at least try to recover from that disadvantaged position; it will be more fun for every one.

3) Buff Up-bs as recovery moves: Up Bs could be significanly buffed almost across the board (not Orcane) and it would help the game. Also, the up-b's in general feel very weak which strikes me as a wasted opportunity (with only four special moves, shouldn't they all be really fun and useful?) I find myself only even considering using up-B in super desparate situations. I think it would be better to design around these moves being just as versatile and strong as the rest of the moves in the game.

a) Fire cat (sorry name escapes me) recovery distance could be MUCH longer. I think even going 2x bigger would not be unreasonable. Yes, he would come back from really far away. He could also shoot diagonally down to go for crazy wall jump recoveries. It would expand his mind games a ton... That's why players would have to leave the stage to stop him. More fun that way
b) Wrastor: When I hit someone with this up-B PLEASE give them more hit stun. It feels so unfair to nail someone with a perfectly timed recovery attack only to have them land before you, recover, and then punish with a strong attack while you are still floating in the air like an idiot. Could have a longer horizontal distance too but that might be too much.
c) Kragg: I find it crazy easy to gimp Kragg just by breaking his pillar, especially with fire cats projectiles which destroy tower in one hit. I do not think fire cat projectile should destroy the pillar in one hit. My play group has coined the phrase "let Kragg come back" in response to the easy gimps on him.
d) orcane : seems fine.
e)forsyburn: haven't played enough of him to say for sure.

Wrastor Specific Feedback:

Alright, I played Wrastor pretty much exclusively and I really like him except that his aerials are pretty redundant.

neutral A -> classic smash sex kick, has decent knock back.
up A -> sends opponent upwards
down A -> sends opponent upwards
towards A -> sends opponent upwards.
back A -> sends opponent upwards

I would REALLY like to see down A be a spike (Game needs more hype spikes and Wrastor could KEN COMBO If he had one...)
but PLEASE give Wrastors back air some horizontal knockback. forward air and up air is enough upwards hitting moves. Wrastor needs something reliable to get people off of his back and he doesn't need another move that does the same thing IMO.

My playgroup pretty much universally hated the 'aether' stages, but once we found basic stage mode we had a lot more fun. All the basic stages feel open and fair and well balanced for the cast...the aether stages seem like a bit of a mess to be honest.

I felt playing Wrastor on the aether version of the desert market stage was especially brutal, and that the elevated area on the right felt like wasted space with most fights occuring pretty much exclusively on the bottom floor. Playing Wrastor vs Kragg on that stage feels like being trapped inside Darth Vader's meditation chamber with a grizzly bear.

Anyway, I know that is mostly negative but rest assured we all really enjoyed the game immensely. In fact, I think given the opportunity I would much prefer to play this game over Melee. The simplified controls and streamlined play fit perfectly and the game is still incredibly deep and fun. I just feel the edge guarding aspect of the game could be much improved with a few relatively small changes.

Would you be interested in letting me put one of your characters in to my upcoming game as an easter egg/secret or maybe even a playable character? I would be happy to send you some details about my project as well some samples of our art so you can get an idea of what we're doing. I think it could be a fun opportunity for some indy crossover goodness.

Last edited:

jhunter_d

Smash Apprentice
Characters die FAST, and I don't really mean that in a good way. I feel that often characters get knocked out of the stage and die from ring outs in situations where they could have definitely recovered if they hadn't been auto ring outed. It also seems that power attacks cause an inordinate amount of hit stun.
Really? I feel like characters live too long. What with multi-use directional airdodging, wall-jump out of special fall, and just generally good recovery moves (like Orcane's and Kragg's up-specials), characters live way too long.

Also, that brings me to something that I dislike: I really do not like Orcane's up-special at all. It's impossible to gimp, which is something that really bugs me. If it is changed so that there's some lag before teleporting, so that it's easier to gimp, then I'd definitely prefer it.

Just my two cents though.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Really? I feel like characters live too long. What with multi-use directional airdodging, wall-jump out of special fall, and just generally good recovery moves (like Orcane's and Kragg's up-specials), characters live way too long.

Also, that brings me to something that I dislike: I really do not like Orcane's up-special at all. It's impossible to gimp, which is something that really bugs me. If it is changed so that there's some lag before teleporting, so that it's easier to gimp, then I'd definitely prefer it.

Just my two cents though.
When you know that they have to use their upB puddle to recover, you just sit by it and charge a strong attack, or if you're zetterburn, be jumping above and use a downB with good reaction time. Orcane's recovery being that easy to punish is what can entirely change the match between him and some characters.

Ways I know to punish:

Zetterburn - DownB, Side Strong, Down Strong, Charged NeutralB (If you land this from above, you will need a followup depending on the KB, but usually Uair sweetspot does the job), F-tilt (If at above 100%)
Kragg - Any Strong attack, DownB, F-tilt
Orcane - Side Strong, Down Strong (sliding in from a dash), F-tilt, D-tilt > Nair (If at below 130%), Puddle DownB > Uair > Followup (If between 110-180% or so), Puddle UpB
Wrastor - Low to the ground Side Strong, U-tilt, D-tilt > Fair/Uair, NeutralB > Followup, DownB > Uair/Fair, UpB sweetspot (Really timing specific to run in after the upB hitbox ends, not recommended but possible)
Forsburn - Down Strong, Charged DownB, Dash Attack > Nair/Fair > Followup (If at below 120% or so)

It just comes down to "Can you space and time it so that either you trade with the recovery or overpower it before orcane can parry/roll away?"

Last edited:

GatorFace

Smash Cadet
Hey, gang. Found a weird bug while playing with my brother today. In the newest build, you can press F5 to switch between xinput and dinput (which is essentially xbone and gamecube controller switching). If you're in fullscreen mode, and mess up when going back to windowed mode by pressing F5 instead of F4: the game un-fullscreens, resets the entire match, and the music doubles over itself. Not really the most detrimental bug, but it is something worth mentioning.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Hey, gang. Found a weird bug while playing with my brother today. In the newest build, you can press F5 to switch between xinput and dinput (which is essentially xbone and gamecube controller switching). If you're in fullscreen mode, and mess up when going back to windowed mode by pressing F5 instead of F4: the game un-fullscreens, resets the entire match, and the music doubles over itself. Not really the most detrimental bug, but it is something worth mentioning.
There's also a bug while in a match where fullscreening causes the game to pause and the game thinks player 3 paused, so you have to un-fullscreen, pause with p1/p2, then fullscreen for it to work properly.

GatorFace

Smash Cadet
There's also a bug while in a match where fullscreening causes the game to pause and the game thinks player 3 paused, so you have to un-fullscreen, pause with p1/p2, then fullscreen for it to work properly.
Eugh, that sounds really gross. To make it easier for you though, if you're using the Mayflash, Player 3 becomes the default keyboard controls. So, pressing enter should unpause without having to un-fullscreen.
(Also I tried to test the glitch, but couldn't do it. Might be an Xinput issue; in which case, my advice is pointless.)

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Eugh, that sounds really gross. To make it easier for you though, if you're using the Mayflash, Player 3 becomes the default keyboard controls. So, pressing enter should unpause without having to un-fullscreen.
(Also I tried to test the glitch, but couldn't do it. Might be an Xinput issue; in which case, my advice is pointless.)
You're wrong. Pressing enter on keyboard doesn't do anything. It has do with using alt+enter to fullscreen, not the other way.

GatorFace

Smash Cadet
You're wrong. Pressing enter on keyboard doesn't do anything. It has do with using alt+enter to fullscreen, not the other way.
Alt-Enter? Ah, sorry then! I wasn't aware you could enter fullscreen like that.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Alt-Enter? Ah, sorry then! I wasn't aware you could enter fullscreen like that.
Idk why Dan put two different ways to. But since my keyboard requires you to hit the [fn] key to be able to use f4, I just prefer alt+enter as how I fullscreen since it's more comfortable for my hand to go over those keys lol.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Last edited:

steak4prez

Smash Cadet
I encountered a bug last Wednesday whenever I took the game over to a friend's place. Since I wasn't streaming I don't have it recorded but we were doing a normal stock battle, him as Kragg, myself as Zetterburn, and two CPUs, one of which was Kragg and the other Zetterburn. At some point the CPUs ran out of stocks and it was just me and him. But at some point while we were duking it out, the CPUs came back. Except their stocks were still set to 0. And they didn't actually appear on screen. But their projectiles did. We were just fighting when all of a sudden we see Kragg's down special coming out of the ground, and it wasn't him (color of the CPU). Same thing happened when Zetterburn's blue-tinted projectiles started showing up, and it wasn't me because I was the purple Zburn and the CPU was blue. I was able to be sure that there were actually ghost-characters and not just projectiles because my passive burning particles were covering them so I could see them move. I actually ended up sending the "ghosts" into the blast zones before my friend and I finished the battle.

The results screen was weird, too. It listed me, CPU3, and CPU4 as 1st place and my friend as 2nd place, even though it wasn't a team battle and I had 6 kills whereas the CPUs had like 3 each. I took a picture on my phone of it, I can find the picture of the results screen.

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
Hello everyone, I have been a long time smash fan and I just figured out about this game and am pretty excited for it, I haven't played it yet but it looks very fun and I have a couple of questions:

1. How would you describe this to a certain smash game? I t looks like Melee with all the tech and overall speed but also like Smash 64 with all the 0 to death combos and such.

2. What are the limits on gamepad compatibility? I heard you can use a mayflash adapter for GC controllers(an absolute must) but if I can't carry around my laptop and a bunch of wires will I be able to play with my afterglow 360 wired controller?

3. Mac support? Mac is the main OS in my house (I AM AWARE THAT APPLE IS EXPENSIVE BUT I PREFER NOT DEALING WITH VIRUSES AND AN EASIER FEEL) and you said the game was going to be on PC but you didn't specify any different OSes or if it's on Steam, Origin, etc.

4.Will online multiplayer be included? This games seems perfect for having online events and tournaments and would be a pretty nice feature all around.

I'd greatly appreciate it if you could answer these questions, the game is looking great now and I intend to purchase the game as soon as it comes out, Keep up the good work!

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Hello everyone, I have been a long time smash fan and I just figured out about this game and am pretty excited for it, I haven't played it yet but it looks very fun and I have a couple of questions:

1. How would you describe this to a certain smash game? I t looks like Melee with all the tech and overall speed but also like Smash 64 with all the 0 to death combos and such.

2. What are the limits on gamepad compatibility? I heard you can use a mayflash adapter for GC controllers(an absolute must) but if I can't carry around my laptop and a bunch of wires will I be able to play with my afterglow 360 wired controller?

3. Mac support? Mac is the main OS in my house (I AM AWARE THAT APPLE IS EXPENSIVE BUT I PREFER NOT DEALING WITH VIRUSES AND AN EASIER FEEL) and you said the game was going to be on PC but you didn't specify any different OSes or if it's on Steam, Origin, etc.

4.Will online multiplayer be included? This games seems perfect for having online events and tournaments and would be a pretty nice feature all around.

I'd greatly appreciate it if you could answer these questions, the game is looking great now and I intend to purchase the game as soon as it comes out, Keep up the good work!
Thanks for the questions, Mint!

1. The game takes some inspiration from all smash games. It has some moveset inspiration from brawl and melee, with combos that take inspiration from smash 64 and melee with a lot of new features added in to make it original. I'd personally say it feel somewhere in-between melee (without the need to L-cancel moves anymore) and smash 64 (combo potential, average % for KO's) both. It's a wonderful mix.

2. The supports both Xinput controllers and Dinput controllers, which means: PC controllers and PS3 controllers will work (may need some modification to button mapping first), Xbox 360, Xbox One, and GC controllers will all work. Those are the ones I've tested so far at least.

3. Dan hasn't made it too clear what his intentions are for releases on other than Xbox One. On his presskit it simply says "PC". Without making any assumptions, it would only be okay to assume it would only release for Windows computers. GameMaker can export to Apple devices as well though, so in the future as Dan gets some performance issues hammered out and figures out marketing/userbase stuff that's way over my head, his intentions for things like Mac OSX and Steam will become more clear.

4. Online multiplayer is scheduled for inclusion in April's Alpha Release whenever that comes out, alongside user nametags, custom controls, and more! (noted in this blog update: http://rivalsofaether.com/blog/?p=321)

Last edited:

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
Thank you for the information it means a lot but
GameMaker can export to Apple devices as well though, so in the future as Dan gets some performance issues hammered out and figures out marketing/userbase stuff that's way over my head, his intentions for things like Mac OSX and Steam will become more clear.
What is GameMaker? Is it the name of your team or the software you're using to make it?

Edit: Never mind just answered my own question.

Last edited:

Big Papi

Smash Cadet
NNID
BigPapi
UMD smash club ran our first RoA tournament yesterday. Of the 13 entrants, there were 3 kraggs, 2 orcanes, 3 wrastors, and 4 zetterburns, with one player trying out each character throughout the tournament.

Grand finals went to game 9, with kragg winning over wraster. 3rd place was a zetterburn and 4th was an orcane. Love how none of the characters had multiple showings in the top 4. I know its only one tournament but I thought it was pretty interesting.

A couple things I learned from the tournament:

Our melee players, trying out RoA for the first time, seemed to gravitate towards wrastor and zetterrburn. Wrastor players were suggesting a control option for wastor to have his regular aerials as c-stick and strong button on (a + direction) for his smash attacks. I agree with this only because that was my only reason for not wanting to use wrastor but I feel that would make the character even better than he needs to be. Not having c-stick makes wrastor more of challenge to play, plus he already has the best air game anyways.

My last comment I wanted to note was the stages. Everyone seemed to play on rock wall the most. Fire castle had a love/hate vibe, many hated it but a few loved it. Biggest reason people disliked it was because of the box. In my own opinion, if the box was a little taller it would be better (as a puddle spitter main :p).

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Because of based Dan Fornace's awesomeness I ended up getting the March build after all! So made a little something in commemoration!

Big Papi

Smash Cadet
NNID
BigPapi
Because of based Dan Fornace's awesomeness I ended up getting the March build after all! So made a little something in commemoration!
Could you make one of orcane please? :D
Is there a video showcasing all of Orcane's moves? He looks to fit my play style a lot.
He's very ground based. To me, he is very similar to oilmar. Smash attacks with thin ish hit boxes with a lot of range. Needs his puddle similar to always needing to have pikmin, for attacking and recovering. But attacking/recovering uses up his puddle so you have to spawn it shortly after. Also pretty good up air.

Top Bottom