• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rising Instant Grapple Cancel - Highjump

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
This is a thing I found out pretty much exactly one year and 1 week ago, but never really thought much of.

I started thinking again and thought, 'hey this is pretty cool.' Anyway, I was pretty sure almost no one knew of this, there may be a couple who MAY have found this out, but I have noooooooooo idea, so this will be a good way to find out.

Anyway, I call this the Highjump.

It is a recovery technique that can be done on FD, Dreamland, and FoD to some practical degree (mostly FD). It can only be done on CURVED surfaces, like that of FD, which is curved convexly to a small degree. This is perfect for this tech.

What this move incorporates is the use of the Grapple Cancel against a wall, and the Rising Grapple. When you use both at the same time, it shoots Samus up to and over the ledge of the Stage, and there is no lag like that of that associated with landing when doing an up-b or grapple.

I can see this being used as a mindgame, and quite possibly as a recovery technique if your oppenent is not near the edge or preoccupied to minimize the recovery speed, because this looks pretty **** fast.

Anyway, tell me what you guys think, I made a video, take a look:

SSBM - Samus Highjump

I would have put this up yesterday night, but I was pretty **** tired and my video software was not agreeing with me.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Ooo a samus player called silven in NYC fuxes with that alot in matches, hes been doing it for a bit and it can be pretty tricky do defend against as long as like other techniques isnt spammed to the point of predictability though that should go without saying. It's pretty crazy.

Toshiba

Smash Apprentice
The answer to this question is probably on here somewhere, but as i cant find it im just gonna ask. How do i do the rising grapple?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I've done that once or twice. Screwed up my buddy once and got a short advantage over him for a few seconds. It's fun to pull out, but it's a bit situational to just do.

By the way, I liked the end on that video. Very silly.

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
The answer to this question is probably on here somewhere, but as i cant find it im just gonna ask. How do i do the rising grapple?
You airdodge up, and while you are doing the dodging animation you use your grapple.

This has to be done fairly quickly, and when done right it should go as high, if not higher than an up-b.

Similarly it can be done by dodging down as well.

Andromon58

Smash Apprentice
Hmm...I thought you were talking about grapple cancelling by cutting your beam on the stage at first, but then I realized you were talking about a way to cancel ALL landing lag...I would say situational, but useful. Only good for when theres no threat of edgeguarding and you can get up faster by using this.

Cool find, I'll have to try that.

Mars-

Smash Champion
It works pretty well because they are expecting a sound or animation of the up b and don't see it and start freaking out on what to do. Fun to do but I wouldn't say it is extremely useful

Kick

Smash Apprentice
very cool. is that just rising grapple when youre too close to the edge and would normally fall and die a pitiful death?

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
I used to only do this on accident; it's certainly better than falling to your death, but I've since discarded this technique since I don't see any advantage of it over actually grappling to the edge, or short of that, grapple-cancelling and doing something like an aerial. This technique, in my opinion, should only be used if you got in the wrong position in the first place. Good quality video though.

Cra$hman

Smash Lord
ok, first of all that video was waaaay longer than it needed to be
second of all i knew about this, but didn't realize it could go so high. even so its still pretty useless since you can't do anything till you land.

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Useless really depends on the situation, I didn't say that it will replace anything, and it is very situation since it only works on a few stages.

I am just saying, it is a faster way of getting up if your opponent is occupied, and if you are down that low, as opposed to grappling + up-b onto the stage or onto the ledge.

I made the video long, assuming most of the people watching it didn't know that much, so I explained and showed more, not to mention aesthetic qualities. Apparently it still lacks some information. If I had faith in people having knowledge of Samus, I would have been like, 30 seconds long.

mach5

Smash Journeyman
the "high jump" can work on any stage unless you're talking about the part where the chain breaks and you can do an air attack. but the part where your hook cancels and you end up falling can be done on any stage

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
I talking about the part where Samus just shoots up.

Not a rising grapple, nor when the grapple cancel and you fall, nor where the beam breaks and you can do an air attack.

X-PAC

Smash Cadet
When you're first rising above the edge with the "highjump", are you temporarily invincible from the air dodge, or does the beam cancel that effect?

mach5

Smash Journeyman
if you do the one where it cancels out everything and has the animation of for ex) after you use your up b you fall like that, or air dodge. The high jump can be used on any stage then

Somebody

Smash Journeyman
I knew about this too but I didnt know you could go so fast and high. I sometimes do the thing where you break the grapple on the curve of the stage and sweetspot in a way but never really thought about using this way.

Its pretty cool though. It would definetly confuse me if someone random shot up in the air while they should be falling idlely. Only time I would use this, like phanna said, is when I got in a bad posistion in the first place or wanted to confuse my opponent.

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
if you do the one where it cancels out everything and has the animation of for ex) after you use your up b you fall like that, or air dodge. The high jump can be used on any stage then
I don't understand what you are trying to say, and you probably don't understand what you are talking about.

mach5

Smash Journeyman
I understand exactly what im saying. You know when you press UP+B and you can't do any moves after that and have that falling animation, the high jump is the same thing but you go up instead. If not you explain to me what "highjump" is. Im asking if you're talking about the part where the grapple beam breaks and you can do an attack, or is it the one where if your too close to the wall you just fly up.

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
I am talking about where if your too close to the wall you just fly up.

I only got that effect on stages whos walls are curved. I got almost no distance on flat surfaces.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
VERY nice man. That looks sweet. Like everyone else said its situational but still a nice move to add to my arsenal!!!!

Aftermath

Smash Champion
It doesn't work on all stages. On the curved stages, you do something referred to as "Ghetto Jumping," essentially you have a set vertical velocity, but riding up against a curved surface slows your deceleration so you effectively go faster longer and thus higher. It's used a lot in speedrunning 3D platforming games and also works in smash. This is why when you upB on the side of FD, you go slightly higher than if you were to just do it not against the wall or on a flat wall (I die on YS a lot because of that). As Ghetto Jumping requires a wall that curves (so that you are pushing against it), Lanowen is right and you are not.

Also, it's not useless. When you are that close to the wall, the other person is probably thinking you're just going to upB, or airdodge back and grapple, and when you fly that quickly overhead, they might not be able to take advantage or might do something different altogether. I find myself using this quite a bit on Marths, as they just wait for you to upB and then fsmash, but if you do this, they often can't react in time and you fly safely over the tipper. However, if they aren't trying to tip you for some reason you still get hit unless they have really bad reflexes.

mach5

Smash Journeyman
so the part where you fly directly up and can have a lag free landing works for me on yoshis story. i dont know if either you guys are not timeing the grapple jump right or were talking about different things.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
You fly directly up, but the point of this is to have it go way faster than normal. That won't work on YS because it will just go the normal distance and speed.

On FD you can start it at the height that would make the upB sweetspot, but you go about 1.5x higher in a shorter amount of time, that's the mindgame and the point of the technique.

xeonoex

Smash Journeyman
Haha, I was playing around with this a while back too, and learned a few things.

If start the rising grapple higher, about a straight up airdodge height, then you will do the rising grapple the same speed, but the beam will come out and you can hit your opponent.

For when I've used it in game, its worked good. As a mind game mostly though. Just don't become predictable with it.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Yeah, this happens to me a lot. I never thought anything about it -- it seems risky, but the height is amazing.

Top Bottom