• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rillaboom, the Tank of Galar!

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Pokemon Coco's been delayed due to the coronavirus
shame
wouldn't be good to show the movie while a lot of japanese are going to see the movie during the pandemic

also there's absolutely no character limit, to point out:
-there's already a lot of brawlers and swordsman in the game and most of the FE cast in Smash right now look like Marth wannabes functionally, visually, or thematically. there's even a lot of Samuses, several plumbers, and most of the zelda additions are just Link again and another look for Zelda.
-Nintendo and Sakurai isn't worried about a minority nitpicking about the most redundant thing ever over the mass amount of Pokemon fans getting excited for another Pokemon inclusion
-Dixie is also one of the least likely characters to end up playable as well, especially being pitched as a gimmick instead of a standalone fighter, (which would have been done ages ago if its such a simple task to some).
there's nothing to worry about on that side since its usual speculatory jank

however, we do need to worry on figuring who might be the lucky Generation 8 Pokemon fighter. With the pandemic slowing down anime/movie production, its gonna be a bit blindsighted on who getting the bigger spotlight more.

NeonVoid

Smash Journeyman
I
So, fun fact, on the recent poll that everyone is talking about (can't remember the name), Rillaboom landed 10th out of the first parties, beating out Cinderace, Toxtricity, and whoever else was on that poll.
Thats just amazing! I'm sure it will be Rillaboom or Cinderace, one of the two

Whats funny is people said they didn't want another starter, yet the starters are ranked the highest

Desdar300

Smash Rookie
https://www.pikalytics.com/pokedex/homebsd
Gentleman I think we may be having another incineroar moment with Rillaboom.
Not only has it become the most used Pokemon all over the world thanks to its hidden ability plus Grassy Glide but it's likely going to be the starter that Ash gets in the anime thanks to the other two going to Gou ( Rip).

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
https://www.pikalytics.com/pokedex/homebsd
Gentleman I think we may be having another incineroar moment with Rillaboom.
Not only has it become the most used Pokemon all over the world thanks to its hidden ability plus Grassy Glide but it's likely going to be the starter that Ash gets in the anime thanks to the other two going to Gou ( Rip).
We'll see how it goes.

NeonVoid

Smash Journeyman
We'll see how it goes.
I don't mean to intrude on this thread, and Rillaboom is busted with a Grass priority move (even I use him), but these are results (constantly changing) from Pokemon HOME of the most used and top ranked Pokemin being used in the meta. It doesn't defeat the purpose of the argument, but this would at least put Rillaboom and Cinderace at a tie if anything
Screenshot_20200714-005924_Pokmon HOME.jpg

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I don't mean to intrude on this thread, and Rillaboom is busted with a Grass priority move (even I use him), but these are results (constantly changing) from Pokemon HOME of the most used and top ranked Pokemin being used in the meta. It doesn't defeat the purpose of the argument, but this would at least put Rillaboom and Cinderace at a tie if anything
View attachment 278367
Why is Porygon2 of all pokemon number 4? I know it's tanky but jeez.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
I support Rillaboom for Smash.

Even though Zacian and Zamazenta is my expected fighter for Pokemon Sword and Shield representation, the only playable legendary Pokemon to date has been Mewtwo and the only non-Starter Pokemon have been Jigglypuff, Pichu and Lucario. What gives Rillaboom the edge over Cinderace is simply the fact that Charizard and Incineroar are already part of the roster. Having Cinderace would be too exhaustive because he'd be the third Fire starter. Alongside this, having Rillaboom be part of the roster completes the trifecta of Fire (Incineroar), Water (Greninja) and Grass (Rillaboom) Final Evolution starters represented in Smash Bros.

NeonVoid

Smash Journeyman
I support Rillaboom for Smash.

Even though Zacian and Zamazenta is my expected fighter for Pokemon Sword and Shield representation, the only playable legendary Pokemon to date has been Mewtwo and the only non-Starter Pokemon have been Jigglypuff, Pichu and Lucario. What gives Rillaboom the edge over Cinderace is simply the fact that Charizard and Incineroar are already part of the roster. Having Cinderace would be too exhaustive because he'd be the third Fire starter. Alongside this, having Rillaboom be part of the roster completes the trifecta of Fire (Incineroar), Water (Greninja) and Grass (Rillaboom) Final Evolution starters represented in Smash Bros.
I do see your reasoning here, Rillaboom is alright, id just prefer we get a better Grass type, like Sceptile or Decidueye, or, as you said, a legendary non-starter like Calyrex and Zarude. Calyrex's taunts can be him talking through Peony too. This is why they should've added Decidueye or skipped Gen 7, I feel Greninja, Decidueye and Cinderace would've been a much better type trifecta

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
I do see your reasoning here, Rillaboom is alright, id just prefer we get a better Grass type, like Sceptile or Decidueye, or, as you said, a legendary non-starter like Calyrex and Zarude. Calyrex's taunts can be him talking through Peony too. This is why they should've added Decidueye or skipped Gen 7, I feel Greninja, Decidueye and Cinderace would've been a much better type trifecta
If Decidueye was in Smash Bros Ultimate instead of Incineroar, Cinderace would have been a guaranteed lock as a fighter. Rilaboom has been gaining popularity lately so Pokemon fans would appreciate his inclusion as a fighter even if Cinderace didn't make the cut.

NeonVoid

Smash Journeyman
If Decidueye was in Smash Bros Ultimate instead of Incineroar, Cinderace would have been a guaranteed lock as a fighter. Rilaboom has been gaining popularity lately so Pokemon fans would appreciate his inclusion as a fighter even if Cinderace didn't make the cut.
Yeah, and don't get me wrong, I love Rillaboom. While I think Sceptile would be a better grass rep, Rillaboom is still my second favorite Galar starter. My gut tells me Rillaboom won't happen and Cinderace is more likely, but I could be wrong!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I personally do not see Intellion or Cinderace being picked over Rillaboom, though I also didnt think we'd keep getting Lucina, Corrin, Chrom, or Byleth. (Not about Fire Emblem hate, just never saw those happening the way they did).

But as far as Pokemon go, yes...
Rillaboom is that sense of completion,
Eevee is a beloved and unique evergreen character who shows off Pokemon's evolution Trait (with a unique gimmick and the stage likely affecting it- Steve coding),
And Team Rocket can show off the most recurring characters, as well as the idea of 'catching' Pokemon.

There isn't much else I want from a Pokemon character.

In short, I want the character to mean more to the summation of Pokemon than just the part it represents on its own.

Last edited:

NeonVoid

Smash Journeyman
I personally do not see Intellion or Cinderace being picked over Rillaboom, though I also didnt think we'd keep getting Lucina, Corrin, Chrom, or Byleth. (Not about Fire Emblem hate, just never saw those happening the way they did).

But as far as Pokemon go, yes...
Rillaboom is that sense of completion,
Eevee is a beloved and unique evergreen character who shows off Pokemon's evolution Trait (with a unique gimmick and the stage likely affecting it- Steve coding),
And Team Rocket can show off the most recurring characters, as well as the idea of 'catching' Pokemon.

There isn't much else I want from a Pokemon character.

In short, I want the character to mean more to the summation of Pokemon than just the part it represents on its own.
Rillaboom makes sense in terms of type trifectas, but ultimately if they cared about types, they wouldn't add Incineroar. Look at Greninja and Incineroar, they were (forgive me for using this term) the shillmons of their gen. They were the Pokemon that GF and TPCI promoted the most, and they're promoting the crap out of Cinderace rn. If Sakurai gets in a meeting with TPCI and asks for their take on this, they're gonna recommend Cinderace. However, for the reason why Sakurai added Incineroar was because of his more interesting archetype compared to Decidueye, I could see Rillaboom getting in if he's interesting enough.

But rn, Cinderace is the one being promoted and even being put on a pedestal and showcased with other Smash Pokemon, treatment nobody else got, plus, while the team can make any character fun,I just feel you can do more with Cinderace. Yes, I agree, fire types are getting excessive, but at the same time Cinderace is much more popular compared to the latter.

Additionally the team can work with:
  • A Pyro Ball that can do as much as Zard's Flare Blitz
  • More unique move potential like Incins Alolan whip
  • speedy Pokemon and good rushdown potential
-known in competitive Pokemon for its versatility in moveset, has Flame Charge, Iron Head, Gunk shot, High Jump Kick, Bounce, Sucker Punch, U-turn, Court Change, and so much more!
-Libero can be a broken gimmick, or, since Cinderace is a hype man, his gimmick can have something to with cheering like in the gym stadiums

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
Rillaboom makes sense in terms of type trifectas, but ultimately if they cared about types, they wouldn't add Incineroar. Look at Greninja and Incineroar, they were (forgive me for using this term) the shillmons of their gen. They were the Pokemon that GF and TPCI promoted the most, and they're promoting the crap out of Cinderace rn. If Sakurai gets in a meeting with TPCI and asks for their take on this, they're gonna recommend Cinderace. However, for the reason why Sakurai added Incineroar was because of his more interesting archetype compared to Decidueye, I could see Rillaboom getting in if he's interesting enough.

But rn, Cinderace is the one being promoted and even being put on a pedestal and showcased with other Smash Pokemon, treatment nobody else got, plus, while the team can make any character fun,I just feel you can do more with Cinderace. Yes, I agree, fire types are getting excessive, but at the same time Cinderace is much more popular compared to the latter.

-known in competitive Pokemon for its versatility in moveset, has Flame Charge, Iron Head, Gunk shot, High Jump Kick, Bounce, Sucker Punch, U-turn, Court Change, and so much more!
-Libero can be a broken gimmick, or, since Cinderace is a hype man, his gimmick can have something to with cheering like in the gym stadiums
If the most popular starter was the definitive choice for Smash, we would have had Decidueye instead of Incineroar.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Eh, you refer to TPC having more they can do with Cinderace, and then reference mechanics we've seen before with other Pokemon. I'm not buying it.

Inside and outside of Pokemon, in Smash, we have a lot of Fire. I think any more from a Pokemon and the roster risks 'too many fire users.'

NeonVoid

Smash Journeyman
Eh, you refer to TPC having more they can do with Cinderace, and then reference mechanics we've seen before with other Pokemon. I'm not buying it.

Inside and outside of Pokemon, in Smash, we have a lot of Fire. I think any more from a Pokemon and the roster risks 'too many fire users.'
Fair enough, and I still like Rillaboom!

But given Cinderace’s promotion, I highly doubt they're gonna consider typings like they did with Incineroar

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Fair enough, and I still like Rillaboom!

But given Cinderace’s promotion, I highly doubt they're gonna consider typings like they did with Incineroar
We don't actually know that they didn't consider type with Incineroar, it just ultimately wasn't the most important.

Also, since Ash only has a Grookey, I'm not sure I agree that 'only Cinderace is being promoted.' Fire starters always have a slight edge because a lot of people think fire is cool. The only example where I think this wasn't true is with gen 5, and that is in part because TPC thought three gens of Fighting/Fire was a good idea. We get it, hotheads like to fight.

This is why I thought gen 2 was so interesting- Cyndaquil was timid, while Chikorita was a showoff and Totodile was the aggressor. It was much more interesting.

Unrelated- I can't wait to see which zodiac is chosen for the next fire starter- horse, sheep, snake, or ox?

Last edited:

NeonVoid

Smash Journeyman
Please note I don't intend this to sound rude, but do you watch the anime? Ash doesn't have a Grookey, in fact Grookey hasn't appeared in the anime once. Cinderace is the main partner of one of the main characters, Goh, and he also has a Sobble, and if Grookey ever appears, he might get one too! So I will stand by the fact only CInderace is getting promoted, but that could change at anytime!
I will agree with you, however, I liked the gen 2 archetypes! While some may be more interesting than others, they all had some personality to offer!

TBone98

Smash Rookie
I like to think that Rillaboom would kinda represent Sword and Shield with his drumsticks being swords and his drum being a shield, hence the title. (And yeah i know sirfetch’d does too).

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
I notice this thread has been still for a while since November, so let me try to get it back up in running

since then and the first half of this month we had:
  • All 3 Galar starters having minor cameos in the Coco movie, opposed to having a major role like ICY Incineroar or TPoU Partner Eevee. Not sure how that's been handled unless somebody here seen the movie.
  • A promotional poster with the Maximizers for New Year's Day with Gigantamax Rillaboom featured
  • Rillaboom and Cinderace part of the TCG set trailer for the Urshifus
  • Grookey and Scorbunny mainly promoted in the New Pokemon Snap boxart
  • Grookey getting officially teased and hyped up in the recent anime trailer, the official AniPoke tweet for Grookey SURPRISINGLY exceeds Scorbunny's on likes and retweets but still leaving Sobble as the most received official AniPoke tweet.
  • An animator for Journeys drawing Grookey playing with the Ash puzzle with Sobble playing with Goh puzzle
  • New anime intro that seems to implicate that neither Ash or Goh gets Grookey, but maybe Chloe/Koharu getting Grookey? Who knows? The anime has done a lot of red herrings, Grookey is no exception.
Also Cinderace recently been spotted in the closed beta of Pokemon Unite and it promotions. I assume we'll be getting more on the way as the beta grows.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
You know the funny thing? Rillaboom could easily use DK's old Final Smash.

Top Bottom