Rillaboom, the Tank of Galar!

Pokelego999

Smash Journeyman
Looking for new first parties that aren't Waluigi.
SPOILERS AHEAD! Don't read if you don't want to be spoiled!

Who is Rillaboom?
Rillaboom-1024x566.png

Rillaboom is the final evolution of Grookey in Pokémon Sword and Shield. He is currently in leaked status, but due to the Dracovish thread existing, this is fine by all standards.

Why Rillaboom?
I'll give you a few answers.
Final Starter Grass Evo, something we always wanted. Next, he's easily a tank pokemon, with stats that make for survivability, with a surprisingly high speed stat. We have two options with the speed stat, keep it, and make attack worse, or tone it down, and get better attack. The latter is more likely, stating as if all fighters were based off stats, Mewtwo would be a heavyweight and Ike would be as fast as Fox.
Also he's cool. And the only final starter evo that isn't furry bait.

Why not Rillaboom?

1200px-812Rillaboom.png

Rillaboom's only major concerns are the following,
1. Sword and Shield may be too recent.
2. How would he carry his drum?
Let me debunk those.
Starting with number one, stating we have Hero and Joker, whose games were released after the roster was decided, they have a good shot, and the rest of the DLC Fighters aren't set to be third party either.
Disproving number two, Rillaboom's arms look big enough to hold the drum under his shoulder alright, which can attribute to his slow running speed.

Anyways, having made my point, here's a moveset:
Moveset
Specials:
Neutral Special: Drum Beating, Rillaboom bangs it's drum, sending a shockwave at the opponent.
Side Special: Razor Leaf, Summons multiple leaves and sends them flying at foes.
Up Special: Drum Jump, Jumps off it's drum to gain height.
Down Special: Grassy Terrain, Slams it's foot down and creates a green area around it. It's attack power will be boosted inside the area that the grassy terrain is in, and opponents attack will be reduced. It disappears after a short time and requires a ten second recharge.
Smash Attacks:
Down Smash: Slams it's foot down and sends vines up around it.
Side Smash: Holds it's drum up and slams it into the opponent.
Up Smash: Uses Solar Blade and slashes upwards.

Tilts:
Forward Tilt: Quick use of Knock off, using it's two hands to make opponents flinch.
Down Tilt: Branch Poke, Rillaboom pokes out slightly using it's drumstick.
Up Tilt: A quick usage of U-Turn, giving Rillaboom invincibility for the duration of the move. It spins around in a circle, and delivers decent knockback. As a result, it has a large amount of end lag.

Rest coming soon.
B-Neutral: Drum Beating: Hits his drum and summons roots in front of them that hit his opponents in multiple successions
B-Side: Boomburst: Hits his drum, causing sound waves to hit the opponents in front of him, single hit
B-Down: Stomping Tantrum: Hits the ground with his feet, hitting those around him. If his previous attack missed, it does more damage and launch.
B-Up: Drum Jump: Jumps on his drum to bounce as a recovery. Drums can drop on anyone underneath him, and does not use up the rest of his jumps.
A-Dash: Darkest Lariat: Similar to Incineroar's, with a few key differences. It goes farther, but doesn't last as long (3 spins), and hits 3 times
A-Neutral: Double Hit: A simple one-two punch
F-Tilt: Branch Poke: A simple forward poke/stab with one of his sticks/clubs
U-Tilt: Brick Break: A simple upper cut in front and above him, that sends opponent upwards. This does more damage to shields.
D-Tilt: Lowkick: A simple leg-sweep in front of him that trips the opponent. The heavier the opponent, the higher the damage

F-Smash: Wood Hammer: Grabs his drum with both hands and lifts it above his head and smashes the ground in front of him with it.
D-Smash: Body Press: Does a body slam, similar to Incineroar's D-Smash
U-Smash: Super power uppercut: A much stronger uppercut in front and above him sending opponent flying upwards

N-Air: Acrobat: A simple air-spin hitting all around him
F-Air: Megapunch: A powerful forward punch in front of him, kind of like Ganondorf's and Banjo's
B-Air: Back-Poke: A simple back poke-stab with one of his sticks/clubs, hits behind
D-Air: Megakick: A powerful down kick underneath him, causing a meteor effect

Grab: Generic grab with with both hands
Pummel: pummels with one of his fists
F-Throw: Throws opponent forward and hits opponent with one of his sticks/clubs
B-Throw: Throws opponent backward and hits opponent with one of his sticks/clubs
U-Throw: Simply tosses the opponent up and hits opponent with one of his sticks/clubs
D-Throw: Throws opponent on ground and beats opponent with his sticks/clubs 3 times

Final Smash: Dynamax Max Growth: Upon activation, turns the area into a Dynamax Arena and he grows to titan-like proportions. He hits his drum a few times, summoning seeds that get launched in front of him. Said-seeds grown into giant plants that send any opponents above them flying upwards.

Do you support Rillaboom?

Support List

Plank08
Utopian Poyzin
ShotoStar: Endgame
smash puffle
Yitsul
SuperSceptile15
Collater333
CrusherMania1592
QQS

Attachments

Last edited:
Rillaboom....Win.

Yes I support whole heartedly as Rillaboom was/is an inside joke between a couple of friends of mine and I would love to see him get added just due to the hilarity that would ensue. I would and do whole heartedly support. Rillaboom for Smash!

3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
NNID
meleebrawler
Rillaboom apparently has a signature move known as Drum Beating.
80 base power physical grass move that lowers speed. That drum "shield" actually has some hidden roots that Rillaboom can control to attack.

Speaking of hidden, his hidden ability is Grassy Surge, which generates grassy terrain.

Aw. I wanted to be the one to make the Rillaboom Support Thread... I even typed everything out earlier. Oh well. This will work. Even though I'm part of the Sobble Squad, I think Rillaboom would fit the best for Smash, and finally having a fully evolved Grass starter would be icing on the cake. I imagine it could have a very unique moveset with that drum, too. I like both of them a lot. Cinderace is alright, but not as cool as the other two. Can you please add me as a supporter?

collater333

Smash Rookie
You can add me to the Rillaboom list. He's unique (I mean c'mon, who else uses clubs and a drum as part of their attack. Well I guess DK once used a drum as part of his final Smash, but that's it, and he's since retired his drums anyways)

Anyways, he's recent (thus destroying the "relevance" argument), unique, and of course is a final grass evolution of a starter, something some of us have been asking for for a while now, thus completing the "fire, water, grass final starter evolution triangle."

Last edited:
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
NNID
meleebrawler
Fun fact: Apparently Rillaboom evolves from Thwackey at level 35 instead of the usual 36.
And rillabooom has the same base stat total as decidueye so that's cool.
It also has the same base stat total as greninja too.
All the Galar starters evolve at 35.

You can add me to the Rillaboom list. He's unique (I mean c'mon, who else uses clubs and a drum as part of their attack. Well I guess DK once did as part of his final Smash, but that's it, and he's since retired his drums anyways.

Anyways, he's recent (thus destroying the "relevance" argument), unique, and of course is a final grass evolution of a starter, something some of us have been asking for for a while now, thus completing the "fire, water, grass final starter evolution triangle."
Try to avoid mentioning the triangle if you're going to vouch for Rillaboom elsewhere, that gives off the impression you're only picking him to fill a quota instead of any inherent merit to the character.

collater333

Smash Rookie
Try to avoid mentioning the triangle if you're going to vouch for Rillaboom elsewhere, that gives off the impression you're only picking him to fill a quota instead of any inherent merit to the character.
Yeah I understand what you are saying. I would hope people with honesty and decent reading comprehension would see that was merely one of the reasons, there are multitudes of other reasons, some of which I listed. But yeah, I can see how a hater would cling to that argument, ignoring all others as potential ammunition.

I actually just came up with a moveset, so here it is:

B-Neutral: Drum Beating: Hits his drum and summons roots in front of them that hit his opponents in multiple successions
B-Side: Boomburst: Hits his drum, causing sound waves to hit the opponents in front of him, single hit
B-Down: Stomping Tantrum: Hits the ground with his feet, hitting those around him. If his previous attack missed, it does more damage and launch.
B-Up: Drum Jump: Jumps on his drum to bounce as a recovery. Drums can drop on anyone underneath him, and does not use up the rest of his jumps.

A-Dash: Darkest Lariat: Similar to Incineroar's, with a few key differences. It goes farther, but doesn't last as long (3 spins), and hits 3 times
U-Tilt: Brick Break: A simple upper cut in front and above him, that sends opponent upwards. This does more damage to shields.
D-Tilt: Lowkick: A simple leg-sweep in front of him that trips the opponent. The heavier the opponent, the higher the damage

F-Smash: Wood Hammer: Grabs his drum with both hands and lifts it above his head and smashes the ground in front of him with it
U-Smash: Super power uppercut: A much stronger uppercut in front and above him sending opponent flying upwards

F-Air: Megapunch: A powerful forward punch in front of him, kind of like Ganondorf's and Banjo's
B-Air: Back-Poke: A simple back poke-stab with one of his sticks/clubs, hits behind

B-Throw: Throws opponent backward and hits opponent with one of his sticks/clubs
U-Throw: Simply tosses the opponent up and hits opponent with one of his sticks/clubs
D-Throw: Throws opponent on ground and beats opponent with his sticks/clubs 3 times

Final Smash: Dynamax Max Growth: Upon activation, turns the area into a Dynamax Arena and he grows to titan-like proportions. He hits his drum a few times, summoning seeds that get launched in front of him. Said-seeds grown into giant plants that send any opponents above them flying upwards.

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Journeyman
Looking for new first parties that aren't Waluigi.
So I keep having this error where extra spoiler tags appear and whenever I put something in spoiler tags it just copies down two spoiler tags in the middle of the spoiler, in turn creating to spoiler tags for the same thing twice each. I get rid of it every time, yet when i save it's still there and when i go back in to edit, it has not been deleted despite my doing so. So, it's either i get rid of the spoiler tags or this issue stays, which do you guys prefer?

Flik

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I understand what you are saying. I would hope people with honesty and decent reading comprehension would see that was merely one of the reasons, there are multitudes of other reasons, some of which I listed. But yeah, I can see how a hater would cling to that argument, ignoring all others as potential ammunition.

I actually just came up with a moveset, so here it is:

F-Smash: Wood Hammer: Smashes opponent in front of him with one of his clubs

Needs more "smack people with his big a** drum"

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
I started with a grookey but I replaced him with the grass type "Appletun" when I got it. I dunno if he's that "tanky" stat-wise, but I do know in EVERY max raid I go in that someone uses Rillaboom, it gets 1HKO'd. Maybe it's just underleveled people.

collater333

Smash Rookie
Well this is a huge bummer. With Pokemon SwSh spirits being confirmed, I'd say this significantly reduces the chances of our boi being playable in Ultimate, let alone any Gen 8 Pokemon.
Yeah I don't fully believe that spirits necessarily deconfirm potential future fighters. Gamexplain actually posted a really interesting video on this.

Needs more "smack people with his big a** drum"
Yeah, maybe that could be his F-Smash Wood Hammer actually. I would love to see how it's depicted int eh anime or manga.

I started with a grookey but I replaced him with the grass type "Appletun" when I got it. I dunno if he's that "tanky" stat-wise, but I do know in EVERY max raid I go in that someone uses Rillaboom, it gets 1HKO'd. Maybe it's just underleveled people.
Eh, he's probably slightly above average, but definitely not hard-tank. But yeah, it probably is people being underleveled in Max Raids, I've noticed in max raids a lot of pokemon that don't dynamax get 1-shot.

My take of spirits is this:

Base game spirits seem like a backup plan in case none of those characters get considered later (although some characters are obviously too odd or minor to get promoted anyway, like the Yakuman player and that chef from Personal Trainer: Cooking).

Spirits after base game seem to be in a much clearer intent of not really being for playability later.

So, all in all, while they could bring in the Gen 8 evos, I honestly wouldn't hold my breath on it at this stage, especially if they gotta negotiate for more Sugimori art.