• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ridiculous tourney...

DarKirby92

Smash Cadet
So i just came back from a pretty big tournament, like 50 people, and my outcome was one not to be desired.

But what i noticed was that all the contenders' mains varied only between Meta Knight Snake, and G&W. I lost to a crazy MK, it was actually M2K (mew2king), yes, the M2K. My luck.

Then my partners i was there with lost to some G&W's also.

But as i looked around, that is actually all i saw, MK's, Snakes, and G&W's, with the occasional Ike.

I guess my question here is, how are us Kirbys supposed to DO anything when tournaments are infested with our worst matchups?

/end rant

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Develop strats against them....?

I mean, either that or switch. If you really want to do well with kirby, put in the effort. If not, switch or don't bother too much with competitive smash....

I guess what I'm trying to say isn't that you're being stupid for ranting about it. It's a legitimate concern. But...do the research and find strats that work. For example the little grab snake while he's holding a nade and uthrow trick(at the right time) gets you an instant stock over them. Ike....he's too gimpable so you really shouldn't have that much trouble with him....MK is another story, but hey, come up with a strat that works. Do your research and you might find something. MK is good largely because people did their research on him and found ways to make him "broken." I mean, it took a good deal of research to find infinite dimensional cape, even if it is going to be banned >>.

Good luck though =]

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Kirby is a character that, if you are good enough, is capable of overcoming his bad matchups. I haven't lost yet to someone I know is not as good as me due to a matchup. This is the real way to determine if you need a counterpick. If you know you are more skilled than a person and you lose, then you can say it was the matchup.

ie a bad matchup is like DDD and DK where an unskilled DDD can still win against a skilled DK.

It sounds like the people that you played were really good... don't worry about it, and maybe learn the matchups you have troubles with. One of the benefits of playing an uncommon character like kirby is if you continue to go to tourneys you will learn how the common characters play and general patterns they have while they won't know yours.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
G&W is not that bad of a match up, that is, if you can watch out for that turtle of his. :p

Meta Knight is not a bad Kirby match up, he's just anoying though, and Snake.... well I deal with them everytime so I know how to beat them. But over all, just watch out for Marth main the most, they are more anoying than Snake mains in my option. =/

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Someone should start a thread and everyone should post the characters they lose to with kirby in tourneys in it. I think it would be interesting and we could discuss the characters kirby players seem to lose to the most.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
It is, we have no aerial game against him. His neutral air just out prioritizes every aerial we have. It's so sad to experience :(
ummm really?... I just hammer him whenever he nairs o.O since it has like 0 range and the hammers disjointed....

or just inhale him out of it.

I've never really understood why G&W is a kirby disadvantage.. o.o lol I've played a few too and it generally feels pretty easy.:confused:

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Since his smash attacks are ridiculous with little prelag and excellent IASA frames to cancel out post lag. Although bair can go through G&W's nair.

Basically G&W is just ridiculous, with loads of disjointed hitboxes, like one time I rolled behind a G&W doing his match I do an f-smash and it clashes with the match and the attack is cancelled out. (That's just 'tupid -_-) Kirby has trouble against disjointed hitboxes the most.

Deg222

Smash Journeyman
Florida; I consider myself a decent brawl player.
Lol a hammer? Kirby's hammer does not out prioritize Game and Watches fish that come out of neutral air lol. It has so much range, between that and back air it's next to impossible to have an air game against Game and Watch. You just haven't played a good Game and Watch I'm sure.

DarKirby92

Smash Cadet
Im pretty sure a nicely spaced final cutter will get him out of his fishbowl N-air, but its too risky and i've never tried. It sounds good tho. I dont mean the shockwave part, i mean the actual sword.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Im pretty sure a nicely spaced final cutter will get him out of his fishbowl N-air, but its too risky and i've never tried. It sounds good tho. I dont mean the shockwave part, i mean the actual sword.
That does work really well. Hit with the rising part and space it though so you hit with the very edge of the sword as you rise then move backwards so that you either land on the ledge or just really far away. It does 8% damage with the rising blade and if you move away right after he will stay in the air and you will land far away or on the ledge.

Anyways never really had problems with G&W, and one of the ones I played in a tourney was 3rd best in cali and still wasn't that hard. He used G&W as his counterpick against kirby and I had an easy time so he just used his main afterwards. Btw when I say easy, I mean I don't have to adjust my playstyle at all or really mindgame as much to win. I think I always just wait for his aerials to finish before I hit him, and starting a hammer around the time he starts his nair usually ends up hitting him after its over, but I think it would still win since his nair doesn't seem like it has any range... even so the hammer has a lot of range if you hit with the very edge of it.

Anyways sorry o.O its hard to explain but I really never have issues with G&W... its probably just to do with my awkward playstyle. :ohwell:

DarKirby92

Smash Cadet
I tend to stay away from using the hammer unless i know 100% for sure i am goin to hit them. For example, when link/toon link misses a hookshot, or a broken shield, etc. Otherwise its too laggy to use in the middle of an intense fight. Maybe i could predict when they are coming and start up an aerial hammer to greet them, but only if i know that i'll be in a position where they can't punish me.

I don't know, maybe im paranoid.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
the critical flaw to G&W's aerials is the time between them. Basically be in G&W's face when he's in the air and space Bair when he's on the ground. Also a huge advantage Kirby has on G&W is when G&W dairs, kirby can quickly move away and his ground hammer to pummel G&W the hitbox is large enough and Kirby can space the move quite well. Just connecting with this once or twice will make the G&W think three times lol b4 he uses it again forcing off his game and letting Kirby gain some control of the match.

Aggressive in the air, smart on the ground and patience when ur below G&W will get Kirby quite an even matchup

Snake requires some serious smarts. First identify ur opponents play style. Spacer, camper, aggressive, etc. Each playing style has a way to counter it. So basically Kirby vs Snake becomes a who is smarter match. As long as Kirby can stay patient and force the opponent to play a different playing style then he can take advantage of mistakes to score damage and kills.

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
What? Three worst matchups? I think we kinda agreed in the matchup thread that we were 45-55 against Metaknight.

Again, take advantage of how uncommonly used Kirby is.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
Still though playing MK means playing super focused. Every mistake Kirby makes he gets punished for whereas MK can get away with some mistakes. Bair has to b spot on and u have to make sure that u dont miss or else thats another time u get punished. Its just hard : (

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I swear, I keep reading this **** about only like 3 main characters at tourneys and it's scaring me. O_o

Either you're exaggerating, your an a hole looking for an excuse, or that tourney scene is balls.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
that sounds like most of the tourneys i go to, I always play a snake, ROB, MK, DDD, Marth or G&W all of which are great characters half of which of are strong against Kirby

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
My tourneys have anything that isn't retardedly bad. Luigi's, Wolf's, Fox's, etc.

This topic kinda makes me sad, and grateful to live in Nor Cal. XD

As for anti MK advice, space ****, mainly bair. All my MK matches take forever and are generally unfun. I'm considering learning MK just so i can beat other MK's.

Top Bottom