• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

RGV da BESS ~ WHGU 6 @ Kingsville = APR 23 !!!!

What day do you want our weekly UTB club gaming fests be?

• Monday

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 17 12.9%
  • Thursday

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Friday

Votes: 14 10.6%
  • Saturday

Votes: 60 45.5%
  • Sunday

Votes: 12 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
you cheated on him with a dallas boy :mad:
hes mine now!
WTF? Derk switched because I do not hit/kill my teammate as often as bombchu does, so how is that cheating?

Yeah thats right bombchu called you out on that ****!

Guero if you want some man love go talk to Vorgy, I got a hello kitty skin for his snake, and a sakura skin from naruto for your gay *** Pit! Now go shoot some arrows up his but, and sit on a grenade while you are at it!

derkapalooza

Smash Journeyman
you cheated on him with a dallas boy :mad:
hes mine now!
lawl....

WTF? Derk switched because I do not hit/kill my teammate as often as bombchu does, so how is that cheating?

Guero if you want some man love go talk to Vorgy, I got a hello kitty skin for his snake, and a sakura skin from naruto for your gay *** Pit! Now go shoot some arrows up his but, and sit on a grenade while you are at it!
tbh danny only kills/hits his teammates when he doesnt team w/ me for some reason. we actually have a good understanding of each others playstyles and habits. i guess that comes from playing these games together for like the past couple of years. either way i was just curious how a team between me and baron would work lol.

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman

hmm even though i should say some sort of snappy come back, the idea of a sakura skin is way to tempting to think of anything else haha
it probably looks ********

btw people, ive decided to make wolf my secondary character

derkapalooza

Smash Journeyman
hmm even though i should say some sort of snappy come back, the idea of a sakura skin is way to tempting to think of anything else haha
it probably looks ********

as long as you have something to spam you'll be happy i guess?

its cool... i can still bucket those lasers haha :)

Magik0722

Smash Champion
Havent unlocked any of the new characters ive just been playing online
the lag ranges from flawless to absolutely horrible
theres some nice balance changes but bottom line its great

Syoudous

Smash Cadet
On the topic of everything else...

Brawl is the best shot the Valley has at keeping any kind of competitive scene alive. Everything else dwindles barely around the 'should we even actually play a tournament for this game or should we just go back home'
As far as Brawl being the best shot in the valley keeping a competitive scene alive... I'm unsure of that but it's definitely one of the more stable "scenes" with a total of at least 15+ people. Possibly more - this is just an estimate (random) from me nothing more I cannot say who would be sticking around.

ShANk said:
Don't give up supporting the tournaments that do happen. If Myself, and Rei would have gone, we more than likely would have taken NoThx and Dragy (who had been training two more, also), adding a +4 to attendance. There are always a few others that usually make the appearances like Will, Mokey, etc.
I support most tournaments. Not all but most. I try and help what I can and say what others should do for the best. I offer what I can do but majority of the time but people turn it down. Their problem I suppose.

ShANk said:
I think that now is really a big time for getting new people in, because all of your skills are progressing fairly far, and scrub turnaround will be a lot lower as teh game gets older. Look at Melee, not many new people...its fcukni advanced.
As far as getting new people in... That's going to be a difficult task. We need to think of something to start bringing in more people. In all honesty, location could possibly help that's not IN Brownsville (I still believe this *could* help).

ShANk said:
Advertising DOES work OUSIDE OF SMASHBOARDS. You can't expect 40 people to show up by posting it here...there are less than 20 people that post on here regularly. Pax is right, schools, gamestops, universities, etc are **** for advertising...and Derk as well with movie theaters etc. If you expect the community to grow you can't NOT advertise and constantly recruit. It is essential to growth! Even if it pulls two people for every 100 flyers, that is still better than none.
Advertising works, yes, I'm not going to deny it but really it's rarely ever effectively working as it should be doing. Your tournaments have been pretty successful due to the multiple games available is all I was saying. If we want guaranteed big attendance it seems that we need to have more games rather than just Brawl.

ShANk said:
I am sorry I didn't make it out but don't expect to see ReiGun or myself on Saturdays anymore for tournaments. Our obligations are elsewhere. Congrats to Pax and congrats to Andilex lying to me that he won! jk danny :b
It's cool, I could say Andilex did pretty much win the tournament however. ;)

How would you guys feel about a get-together at my place?
If Andilex can provide a ride that'd be cool. Otherwise I don't think anyone will want to go / provide a ride. Been meaning to get together with you all. :)

ive said this before...
the distance is not a problem for ME. however it is a problem for any new comers from any where else besides los fresnos. i dont mind if the tournament is in freakin san antonio. but i will say that a it would be alot more fun if new people started showing up. also you shouldnt give up on people like that. more people will come to our tourneys if we advertise them the right way.
And all I'm trying to say is it's not far for any "newcomers". It's a small 12 minute drive depending on what route you take or directions (Assuming from Brownsville). I didn't "give up" on people but there's a decline in Smash and it's falling, slowly but surely.

But may I ask how would you suggest advertising the "right way"? I'm up for ideas and suggestions. Willing to help out our area at this point.

so i got TvC now, guess ill be less active in brawl for awhile
It's out already? How's the game so far in details?

\m/ You're making progress, finally. Now all you need to do is actually pick up a higher tier character with better matchups and you're solid, I guarantee you that.

cant believe they censor j ap
Jap is racial slang. Use JPN or J.

Havent unlocked any of the new characters ive just been playing online
the lag ranges from flawless to absolutely horrible
theres some nice balance changes but bottom line its great
Can't fix lag in fighting games, also answer my question above.

Btw, what matches do I record on my Wii aside from possibly every single match Magik was in?

Magik0722

Smash Champion
the game was leaked about 2 days ago

its pretty much the same as the other game just 5 new characters and balance changes + online

upload every match

defsithe

Smash Ace
yeah shanks tourny was in harlingen at lets play.

so wiiso is down anyone no where i could continue to get iso(s) that are not torrents?

derkapalooza

Smash Journeyman
As far as getting new people in... That's going to be a difficult task. We need to think of something to start bringing in more people. In all honesty, location could possibly help that's not IN Brownsville (I still believe this *could* help).
idk if it would help though cause to be honest there isnt much brawl action going on up here in the costal bend (kingsville, corpus christi) area either. i think its just south texas in general. the last brawl tourney/event that happened here in kingsville besides my own tourney, was a gamecrazy tourney about 6 months ago..... thats pretty effin bad if you ask me, esp cause the rules were so gay. its pretty much me here in my area trying to keep the brawl scene alive i guess. its pretty despressing lol but this game is too fun to quit. every semester i keep finding new smashers to play with but i can only fit so many people in my room to practice with! mikey and rei gun know how cramp it can get.

Btw, what matches do I record on my Wii aside from possibly every single match Magik was in?
if you dont mind can you send me any videos that me and other kingsville people were in? i dont mind uploading our videos and taking some work off your hands.

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman
And all I'm trying to say is it's not far for any "newcomers". It's a small 12 minute drive depending on what route you take or directions (Assuming from Brownsville). I didn't "give up" on people but there's a decline in Smash and it's falling, slowly but surely.

But may I ask how would you suggest advertising the "right way"? I'm up for ideas and suggestions. Willing to help out our area at this point.
well pax has the right idea. malls walmarts, schools ect. but i also think we should concentrate on advertisements in the area of the tournament. i will agree with you that los fresnos is not very far for anyone. but the instant i mentioned los fresnos to everyone i was trying to get to go to the tourney, they all became instant no shows. the idea of going out of town to play a video game is not that appealing. the reason behind the small turnout is not because of location or because brawl is dying. there was a small turnout because none of us live in los fresnos and therefor couldnt advertise the tournament to people in los fresnos.

in short: if there is gonna be a tournament in los fresnos, advertise it to people in los fresnos

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Syoudous you are being way too negative about everything. Los Fresnos had a really good venue but it was inconvenient for a lot of people to go. You forget that a big chunk of RGV smashers are from Matamoros and for us it takes a whole hour to get across the bridge, for us going to UTB is as far as Weslaco going to UTB. UTB is a perfect location because it is a place that people are familiar with, they recognize it and it is in their comfort zone. Los Fresnos is a place many people have never gone to, and people get shaky about things when they aren't familiar with them. A tournament is a business, you need to be able to have a business approach to advertising it or people will not want to go. You need to be able to sell it to them, give them a good reason to go.

You can advertise a tournament and you might as well put

"please come this saturday, we need your 5 dollars to give pax, magik, broly, vorgy, and shlike some money"

The perfect location would actually be Harlingen, because it is right in the center of the Valley. Unfortunately we have no one who can consistantly host in Harlingen.

Advertising does help, a lot. Last time I decided to advertise hard and get out a ton of flyers (and cards which Shank helped me make) I got an attendance of 38 people + about 10 other people who didn't even join. That was the time you guys saw Ikeypoo and the guys who look like they stole the TV before they got there.

The thing is, to me Brawl was never about the money. In fact, I probably hosted and went to like 10 tournaments before I even won anything, and the first tournament I ever won ANYTHING at all was in one hosted by Shank, and I had a nightmare bracket too (Winners: Andilex -> Pax... Losers: Andilex again -> Shlike -> Shady (during his prime) -> Magik -> Papi -> Broly loser's finals).

What happened was I started caring about the crew, about our placings upstate, about representing the valley, and about having fun. I stopped seeing "large numbers" as the result of a good tournament, in fact I realized that those tournaments were the most stressing, having to be teaching people what to do constantly and not focus on the actual tournament itself.

The smaller tournaments were always the funnest.

However, it seems to me that the reason that I liked playing Brawl so much, was not because of the game. Yeah, I'm a huge smash fanboy since 64, I love it, and would never stop altogether, but honestly the biggest reason I love smash is because I get to play with all of you. All of you are my friends, and you make these tournaments worthwhile. Heck, we all get excited when we finally (almost) get to see Pax lose. lol, we all hate you Pax, in a good way. :p

So yeah seriously, if you notice Syoudous, nobody is complaining. Everyone loved your tournament, and we are not basing the turnout of it as to it's success. Trust me, it was successful, and one of the funnest. Heck I got 2v1'd by Andilex and Vash on the floor and now I have rugburns everywhere lol.

Just know that hosting a tournament is not easy business. I had to do it out of NOWHERE. When I hosted BF1, I didn't know there was ANYBODY. I had to start from scratch, and it is not easy. You have a consistant crew that will go to almost anything hosted down here so if you host another one rest assured we will go, but if you want attendance to skyrocket, then you need to think outside the box.

When I advertised for Brawlfests, I personally CALLED and TEXTED over 50 people. I put flyers out there with my number and when I'd get calls I would jot down their name, their e-mail, their number, and as much information as I could get them to give. Every single one of those people were called back.

Now without further ado, I present.

Brawlfest 8 - THE RETURN OF SMASH BROTHERS' RETURN OF PAPI'S RETURN

Date: February 27

PAYOUTS: Yes, believe it or not, I WILL be paying out top 5. Yes, 6 people will be getting a reward. And trust me, Pax doesn't need money right now. :p

1st: 50%
2nd: 25%
3rd: 10%
4th: 7%
5th: 4%
5th: 4%

EVERYONE BE READY, SINCE YOU ALL WANT A BIG TOURNAMENT, YOU WILL GET ONE.

See everyone there. ;)

Magik0722

Smash Champion
When theres someone hosting a tournament theres always one thing in common, mother ****ing magik wrecking **** as the best TO and TO helper in the RGV

derkapalooza

Smash Journeyman
The perfect location would actually be Harlingen, because it is right in the center of the Valley. Unfortunately we have no one who can consistantly host in Harlingen.
this would be awesome. id prolly be able to convince more people from kingsville to go if tourneys were closer.

The smaller tournaments were always the funnest.However, it seems to me that the reason that I liked playing Brawl so much, was not because of the game. Yeah, I'm a huge smash fanboy since 64, I love it, and would never stop altogether, but honestly the biggest reason I love smash is because I get to play with all of you. All of you are my friends, and you make these tournaments worthwhile. Heck, we all get excited when we finally (almost) get to see Pax lose. lol, we all hate you Pax, in a good way. :p
same reasons go for me. its always fun playing all of you cause everyone is so cool. that and theres just no real comp in my area lol.

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman
When theres someone hosting a tournament theres always one thing in common, mother ****ing magik wrecking **** as the best TO and TO helper in the RGV
mother****ing 13-0 TvC online
who wants some
since when does magik curse?

However, it seems to me that the reason that I liked playing Brawl so much, was not because of the game. Yeah, I'm a huge smash fanboy since 64, I love it, and would never stop altogether, but honestly the biggest reason I love smash is because I get to play with all of you.
omg this

Syoudous

Smash Cadet
1st of all,
we should expand the community
How so? Also, I think I can MAYBE go out this weekend, can you provide a ride? I'll bring you Kingdom Hearts if you pick me (or others if they're willing to go) up.

I expect videos to be uploaded soon
I admit, I haven't done any of the videos yet. I did try a few of the replays to see if any desyncing or other issues occurred though and all work perfectly as far as I know. Would rather prefer a list as to what to actually record rather than just "all of them". I'll record at least the last few bits of what's on my Wii including Loser's Semi's and others. I also forgot to give you back your memory card during the tournament.

PS. If there's anything you lost in the tournament or anything missing tell me. I am returning back tomorrow so if you think you lost something and are sure you might've left it at the venue tell me. I know Defsithe lost his Sunglasses and Vorguen lost his hoodie. So I'm going to make sure/double check to see if it's not there.

defsithe

Smash Ace
does anyone think that halo 3 is still hella expensive used?

nevermind.... my ***hole brother made my 360 red ring. looks like someone owes me a new system
apparently none of your systems work :/ lol
oh yeah

best TO = Strider
best TO helper = Strider

nuff said
lol too funny
Syoudous you are being way too negative about everything. Los Fresnos had a really good venue but it was inconvenient for a lot of people to go. You forget that a big chunk of RGV smashers are from Matamoros and for us it takes a whole hour to get across the bridge, for us going to UTB is as far as Weslaco going to UTB. UTB is a perfect location because it is a place that people are familiar with, they recognize it and it is in their comfort zone. Los Fresnos is a place many people have never gone to, and people get shaky about things when they aren't familiar with them. A tournament is a business, you need to be able to have a business approach to advertising it or people will not want to go. You need to be able to sell it to them, give them a good reason to go.

this. consistency is key. ALL of Valley Crews bigger tournies were in edinburg. people knew were it was from before and i guess felt more comfortable with the location.

and yeah i always wanted harlingen to be the heart of competitive smash scene but we as a city had one of the fewest number of competitive players, at our height we had like 4 good harlingen players :/. and since im in kingsville i really cant throw tournies/get together often.( i usually do spring break and summer)

im sure TSTC has a gaming club and/or anime club. someone should get in contact with them and see if yall can get monthlies or something started there.

i still think the mcallen/edinburg is the best place to hold tourny in terms getting a better influx of people to show up but it is a hassle going from brownsville.

anyways that my 2 cents

Vorguen

Smash Champion
when I get the game
$20 MM magik
but we are going to use the vorgy challenge!
VORGY CHALLENGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How so? Also, I think I can MAYBE go out this weekend, can you provide a ride? I'll bring you Kingdom Hearts if you pick me (or others if they're willing to go) up.

Discussed over in pm.

I admit, I haven't done any of the videos yet. I did try a few of the replays to see if any desyncing or other issues occurred though and all work perfectly as far as I know. Would rather prefer a list as to what to actually record rather than just "all of them". I'll record at least the last few bits of what's on my Wii including Loser's Semi's and others. I also forgot to give you back your memory card during the tournament.

PS. If there's anything you lost in the tournament or anything missing tell me. I am returning back tomorrow so if you think you lost something and are sure you might've left it at the venue tell me. I know Defsithe lost his Sunglasses and Vorguen lost his hoodie. So I'm going to make sure/double check to see if it's not there.
It was a blue cap not hoodie =o

my matches against vorguen, vash, and pax are the ones i care about
Why do you always want to record a match where you beat me D: </3 lol

my wii works. you just have to be patient w/ it lol

god i wanted to slap the crap out of my friends that day for whining about it :laugh:
DERK!!! I miss you =(

Did you guys see me moon you when you were taking off? lol

shlike

Smash Ace
derk there is a match between a zss and a diddy kong its me and andilex could you put it up??

also syoudous if you could upload videos of me that would be great

much love to the rgv <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom