• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

RGV da BESS ~ WHGU 6 @ Kingsville = APR 23 !!!!

What day do you want our weekly UTB club gaming fests be?

• Monday

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 17 12.9%
  • Thursday

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Friday

Votes: 14 10.6%
  • Saturday

Votes: 60 45.5%
  • Sunday

Votes: 12 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Syoudous

Smash Cadet
Melee Everything: Wasn't able to happen due to short turnout / Pax not entering.

Brawl Low Tier Singles: http://i46.tinypic.com/33mtu8g.jpg
1: Magik :pt:
2: Broly
3: Vash :ike:
4: Sama
5: Andilex
5: Bombchu
7: Pax
7: Baron
9: Ronin
9: Sama
9: Derk
9: Cloud
13: Defsithe

Bracket mixup due to tio being annoying, Another Sama is Shlike.

Brawl Doubles: http://i46.tinypic.com/mszukg.jpg
1 (Split): Pax+Broly :marth: + :metaknight:
2: Andilex + Magik :diddy: + :diddy:/:dk2:/:metaknight:
3: Vorguen + Vash :snake: + :wario:
4: Derk + Baron :gw: + :dk2:
5: Bombchu + Guero :bowser2: + :pit:

Brawl Singles: http://i50.tinypic.com/2nitzpu.jpg
1 (Split with second and third): Pax :metaknight:
2: Magik :metaknight:/:diddy:/:dk2:
3: Andilex :diddy:
4: Vorguen :snake:
5: Broly :marth:
5(Forfeit): Shlike :zerosuitsamus:
7: Derk :gw:
7: Baron :dk2:
9: Bombchu :bowser2: (?)
9: Sama :pikachu2:
9: Ronin ?
9(Forfeit): Syoudous :dedede:/:metaknight:
13: Xavier ?
13(Forfeit): Cloud ?
13: Guero :pit:

Sorry about the tournament turnout. I thought it would be great but apparently not, Brawl is dead as far as I know now in our area, agreeing with Magik. Thanks to: Defsithe for helping out organizing everything, Magik for helping out with tio when it was completely useless at the time. Derk, Guero, Magik, Andilex for bringing setups and for those that pitched in for my money loss even though I would be fine (Thank you though). I was able to actually eat at Denny's though, thank you all. I will try and pay you back in return later on, just remind me that you pitched in.

I don't give shoutouts so don't get all mad at me.

STG Overview with Melee All Character Grand Finals (Audio messed up)

C 2the loud

Smash Cadet
kafaksldfkaslqkwlrkaasdfghjkl;adsjfkldsa;skdjf;lkajwoqpkfdsa

Wendys was the bomb.

Melee ffas were the bomb.

My brawl puff IS the bomb.

My captain ****** pax's was the bomb.

I think my bracket should be easier pl0x.

paco27291

Smash Rookie
the only thing is that we have to advertise more!! u guys in high school have to just put up flyers, and we'll put some in the university, and also take some to gamestop and it be good if we could ask the movies if we could put some there, and wut i would think be koo would be if a certain percentage of what we get we could donate to haiti, but well thats just me

derkapalooza

Smash Journeyman
the only thing is that we have to advertise more!! u guys in high school have to just put up flyers, and we'll put some in the university, and also take some to gamestop and it be good if we could ask the movies if we could put some there, and wut i would think be koo would be if a certain percentage of what we get we could donate to haiti, but well thats just me
putting up flyers in both high schools and the university is a start. but you should also try to put them up in "high traffic" areas like walmart, heb, movie theatres, malls ect. that way people have a better chance of seeing them. another popular way to advertise is over the internet. almost everyone either has a myspace or a facebook page so why not make a rgv brawl myspace and/or facebook to show people what our past and future events will look like? at the next rgv tourney take pics of everyone playing and hanging out,the venue ect and then post up tourney vids so everyone can see. to me the more bad@ss we can make our events look the more appealing it would be to people to go.

Syoudous

Smash Cadet
doing melee dittos on all characters with 4 players is just too good!!!!
That was really fun, was fun also playing Melee.

it would have been a bigger turnout if it was in brownsville.

It wasn't even far, don't blame the location just because it's not a walk for you. The location was PERFECT for anyone that wanted to travel here. Get off the expressway, drive one mile, done.

For UTB: Get off the expressway, drive in a bad location, get shot, done. Face it, UTB is too far for most of us. The only benefit is using the place for free. That's it.

putting up flyers in both high schools and the university is a start. but you should also try to put them up in "high traffic" areas like walmart, heb, movie theatres, malls ect. that way people have a better chance of seeing them. another popular way to advertise is over the internet. almost everyone either has a myspace or a facebook page so why not make a rgv brawl myspace and/or facebook to show people what our past and future events will look like? at the next rgv tourney take pics of everyone playing and hanging out,the venue ect and then post up tourney vids so everyone can see. to me the more bad@ss we can make our events look the more appealing it would be to people to go.
We've done this how many times? It doesn't help the attendance, we always suggest this but it barely helps any. Also there is a smash myspace since Melee. This tournament was supposed to appeal people and bring attendance, unfortunately Brawl is just completely dead. SFIV even brings in more and more people. Not saying anything discouraging or offensive just saying what seems to be true at this point.

The only thing that could possibly bring Brawl back here would be SFIV + Other games + Smash. Which really works well for Shank's tournaments. (See people attendance.)

lol the voices on the video sound all chipmunk'd out
It is slightly speeded up I don't know why, it's not terrible though.

derkapalooza

Smash Journeyman
The only thing that could possibly bring Brawl back here would be SFIV + Other games + Smash. Which really works well for Shank's tournaments. (See people attendance.)
something like that could work i guess. one thing to remember though is that shanks tourneys work out well b/c there is alot of help when it comes to setups. we barely bring enough setups for ourselves sometimes lol.

roninwarrior24

Smash Rookie
Trust me when I say this, even with this less than stellar turnout, Brawl is still in much better shape down here than SF4. Aside from BATB3 (which, btw, had quite a few SA/Houston people in it), the last SF4 tourney (in Let's Play, at least) had a grand total of FIVE people in it (correct me if I'm wrong, because I did go to a tourney with only five people in it). I should know, since I started playing Brawl because of the larger turnouts (even though that hasn't been going too well...). Blazblue died after one tourney, I got bored/annoyed with SF4, and I still haven't heard much about Tekken 6 (my favorite fighter as of now) outside of SA/Houston.

Anyways, GGs to everyone I played yesterday. Bombchu and I in particular had some...interesting friendlies (my Puff landed 2 rests at medium/high percents and his Bowser still didn't die).

Off topic, I know, but I have an odd feeling than Modern Warfare 2 will pretty much take over the entire competitive gaming scene in the U.S. That game has everything it needs to do so: It's an FPS, everyone has it, it's easy to learn, it's fast-paced, there's team play, there's a big variety of gun/perk combinations, etc.

C 2the loud

Smash Cadet
Off topic, I know, but I have an odd feeling than Modern Warfare 2 will pretty much take over the entire competitive gaming scene in the U.S. That game has everything it needs to do so: It's an FPS, everyone has it, it's easy to learn, it's fast-paced, there's team play, there's a big variety of gun/perk combinations, etc.
It will not. If halo : reach is even half decent it will be played alot more than COD. Call of Duty 4 was also easy to learn, an FPS, everyone had it, but it was still alot less dominant then Halo 3 and even gears of war. Just follow MLG, whatever they're having as their main event is most likely what everyone is going to play.

<3

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman

It wasn't even far, don't blame the location just because it's not a walk for you. The location was PERFECT for anyone that wanted to travel here. Get off the expressway, drive one mile, done.

For UTB: Get off the expressway, drive in a bad location, get shot, done. Face it, UTB is too far for most of us. The only benefit is using the place for free. That's it.

We've done this how many times? It doesn't help the attendance, we always suggest this but it barely helps any. Also there is a smash myspace since Melee. This tournament was supposed to appeal people and bring attendance, unfortunately Brawl is just completely dead. SFIV even brings in more and more people. Not saying anything discouraging or offensive just saying what seems to be true at this point.

i dont have a problem with the location cuz i am alredy playing brawl competitavley. the thing is that there ARE several people that would go to these tournaments and even learn the game. people like Cammy, Veta, Hanna scrubs. they all want to go to another tourney but because they dont play the game seriously, they see a trip to los fresnos as a major drag. same goes for any other people that are interested in brawl that reside in other locations.

i have to agree with derk and pax. we have to advertise more, but we have to concentrate our advertizing in the area where the next tournament will be held.

yea donating some money would be good for all of us

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman
It will not. If halo : reach is even half decent it will be played alot more than COD. Call of Duty 4 was also easy to learn, an FPS, everyone had it, but it was still alot less dominant then Halo 3 and even gears of war. Just follow MLG, whatever they're having as their main event is most likely what everyone is going to play.

<3
i guess halo is a more hardcore game since it has more technical stuff
but you cant say that more people (in the valley) like halo than MW2. the only time i ever hear of halo is when i read these posts. and im ALWAYS hearing about MW2

yup Cod is pretty big down here, maybe we can put it in our tourny....? use some of that money for traveling jajaja
HYPE!!!!!

C 2the loud

Smash Cadet
Well his post was talking about the whole U.S so I said Halo.
I agree i hear MW2 talked about alot more than halo here, but I think it would be a waste of time to add it to the tournys imo. It wouldnt run well.

I dont know why I'm complaining though, I would win all of those tournys guaranteed.

defsithe

Smash Ace
kafaksldfkaslqkwlrkaasdfghjkl;adsjfkldsa;skdjf;lkajwoqpkfdsa

Wendys was the bomb.

Melee ffas were the bomb.

My brawl puff IS the bomb.

My captain ****** pax's was the bomb.

I think my bracket should be easier pl0x.
mikey owning with everyone was the bomb

paco27291

Smash Rookie
jajaja ur lucky i dont play MW2 otherwise u get ***** cloud!! and if u know the rules for that game well u can run it cloud, as i said we can keep the venue fee or something and help it pay for gas or something for upcoming trips, also if a lot of peeps show up for MW2, they will help spread the tourny by word of mouth that is also has brawl and melee

defsithe

Smash Ace
best location is NOT brownsville is the mcallen/edinburg area by ALOT.

all the melee dittoes were too fun.
cloud suks at melee XP almost as bad as vash.

pax is bad a$s. i got lunch next time.

the valley needs to revive its melee scene. :starts scheming:

Vorguen

Smash Champion
I love all of you.. BIG TOURNEY coming soon. :D

MAGIK / CT (yes you CT) / MSYDS / ANDISEX / SKANK / DERK I love all of you I decided to blank out as to why I was naming you all

its late I'm sleepy PHUQ insomnia I'm watching some D.gray-man, it's pretty decent, anyway. Get together soon? Someone host it? Preferably in Brownsville, but if it's in Farlaco I'll still go and I'll take 4 other people. :)

SOMEONE LET ME KNOW =D

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Melee Everything: Wasn't able to happen due to short turnout / Pax not entering.

Brawl Low Tier Singles: http://i46.tinypic.com/33mtu8g.jpg
1: Magik :pt:
2: Broly
3: Vash :ike:
4: Sama
5: Andilex
5: Bombchu
7: Pax
7: Baron
9: Ronin
9: Sama
9: Derk
9: Cloud
13: Defsithe

Bracket mixup due to tio being annoying, Another Sama is Shlike.

Brawl Doubles: http://i46.tinypic.com/mszukg.jpg
1 (Split): Pax+Broly :marth: + :metaknight:
2: Andilex + Magik :diddy: + :diddy:/:dk2:/:metaknight:
3: Vorguen + Vash :snake: + :wario:
4: Derk + Baron :gw: + :dk2:
5: Bombchu + Guero :bowser2: + :pit:

Brawl Singles: http://i50.tinypic.com/2nitzpu.jpg
1 (Split with second and third): Pax :metaknight:
2: Magik :metaknight:/:diddy:/:dk2:
3: Andilex :diddy:
4: Vorguen :snake:
5: Broly :marth:
5(Forfeit): Shlike :zerosuitsamus:
7: Derk :gw:
7: Baron :dk2:
9: Bombchu :bowser2: (?)
9: Sama :pikachu2:
9: Ronin ?
9(Forfeit): Syoudous :dedede:/:metaknight:
13: Xavier ?
13(Forfeit): Cloud ?
13: Guero :pit:

Sorry about the tournament turnout. I thought it would be great but apparently not, Brawl is dead as far as I know now in our area, agreeing with Magik. Thanks to: Defsithe for helping out organizing everything, Magik for helping out with tio when it was completely useless at the time. Derk, Guero, Magik, Andilex for bringing setups and for those that pitched in for my money loss even though I would be fine (Thank you though). I was able to actually eat at Denny's though, thank you all. I will try and pay you back in return later on, just remind me that you pitched in.

I don't give shoutouts so don't get all mad at me.

STG Overview with Melee All Character Grand Finals (Audio messed up)
What were the money rewards?

Syoudous

Smash Cadet
something like that could work i guess. one thing to remember though is that shanks tourneys work out well b/c there is alot of help when it comes to setups. we barely bring enough setups for ourselves sometimes lol.
Actually... Shank's tournaments in Weslaco is the only one to provide setups (The one with free arcades). They have 2 free TV's and Gamecubes/Wiis to boot. The one at BatB3 was purely Magik/Andilex/Everyone else bringing a Wii I assume. Some help gets tossed around but we still provide the tools.

Trust me when I say this, even with this less than stellar turnout, Brawl is still in much better shape down here than SF4. Aside from BATB3 (which, btw, had quite a few SA/Houston people in it), the last SF4 tourney (in Let's Play, at least) had a grand total of FIVE people in it (correct me if I'm wrong, because I did go to a tourney with only five people in it). I should know, since I started playing Brawl because of the larger turnouts (even though that hasn't been going too well...). Blazblue died after one tourney, I got bored/annoyed with SF4, and I still haven't heard much about Tekken 6 (my favorite fighter as of now) outside of SA/Houston.
I think one of the main problems is just the community in Brownsville / Valley. Not enough people are interested in these type of games. I don't know how else to respond to this... There is a growing base for Tekken 6 however, it'll maybe grow overtime hopefully. I'm looking forward to TvC and hoping that since it's a Wii based game people will start getting interested in Brawl also if we host events with TvC. Easier with setups and all that.

yup Cod is pretty big down here, maybe we can put it in our tourny....? use some of that money for traveling jajaja
LAN centers would be needed for this type of thing, wouldn't it? I'm not familiar with it all too well.

i dont have a problem with the location cuz i am alredy playing brawl competitavley. the thing is that there ARE several people that would go to these tournaments and even learn the game. people like Cammy, Veta, Hanna scrubs. they all want to go to another tourney but because they dont play the game seriously, they see a trip to los fresnos as a major drag. same goes for any other people that are interested in brawl that reside in other locations.

i have to agree with derk and pax. we have to advertise more, but we have to concentrate our advertizing in the area where the next tournament will be held.
I had to travel to Weslaco a few times to play in tournaments. It was a bad experience for me but a satisfying one none the less. Got to meet nice players here and there and even then older tournaments there always brought new faces. Los Fresnos I repeat once again is NOT far. Don't even think that. It may be far for *you* but what about the people traveling from Weslaco for example? Yeah... I think it was easier for them to get here and I even asked Andilex if he had trouble, he said he just took a exit and got here just fine, lol.

Advertising, again, helps very little. It's an option but we've done this plenty of times with a small attendance of 4 max and that was once, IIRC. Most of the time now it's 1 or 2 people or even none.

best location is NOT brownsville is the mcallen/edinburg area by ALOT.
I mostly agree with the above about the location. At least give it one more chance. It seemed to always bring new faces. The only problem I see here are just people in Brownsville are going to actually need a ride and Guero actually has a legit excuse to say it is "too far" (I'm not making fun of you Guero but seriously Los Fresnos is in the middle of everything).

Messatsu!

Smash Journeyman

This game is impossible to LAN, so tournaments for it are out of the question. Infinity Ward took the same things that were wrong about LAN for cod4 and made it even more WRONG and LAME. Which is why H3 will remain supreme forever. There is never a new FPS going to take the 'scene' just noob hype..big difference. Halo>Everything

On the topic of everything else...

Brawl is the best shot the Valley has at keeping any kind of competitive scene alive. Everything else dwindles barely around the 'should we even actually play a tournament for this game or should we just go back home'

Don't give up supporting the tournaments that do happen. If Myself, and Rei would have gone, we more than likely would have taken NoThx and Dragy (who had been training two more, also), adding a +4 to attendance. There are always a few others that usually make the appearances like Will, Mokey, etc.

I think that now is really a big time for getting new people in, because all of your skills are progressing fairly far, and scrub turnaround will be a lot lower as teh game gets older. Look at Melee, not many new people...its fcukni advanced.

Advertising DOES work OUSIDE OF SMASHBOARDS. You can't expect 40 people to show up by posting it here...there are less than 20 people that post on here regularly. Pax is right, schools, gamestops, universities, etc are **** for advertising...and Derk as well with movie theaters etc. If you expect the community to grow you can't NOT advertise and constantly recruit. It is essential to growth! Even if it pulls two people for every 100 flyers, that is still better than none.

I am sorry I didn't make it out but don't expect to see ReiGun or myself on Saturdays anymore for tournaments. Our obligations are elsewhere. Congrats to Pax and congrats to Andilex lying to me that he won! jk danny :b

Also, I have never hosted a tournament in Weslaco...not for Brawl at least.

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman
I had to travel to Weslaco a few times to play in tournaments. It was a bad experience for me but a satisfying one none the less. Got to meet nice players here and there and even then older tournaments there always brought new faces. Los Fresnos I repeat once again is NOT far. Don't even think that. It may be far for *you* but what about the people traveling from Weslaco for example? Yeah... I think it was easier for them to get here and I even asked Andilex if he had trouble, he said he just took a exit and got here just fine, lol.

Advertising, again, helps very little. It's an option but we've done this plenty of times with a small attendance of 4 max and that was once, IIRC. Most of the time now it's 1 or 2 people or even none.

I mostly agree with the above about the location. At least give it one more chance. It seemed to always bring new faces. The only problem I see here are just people in Brownsville are going to actually need a ride and Guero actually has a legit excuse to say it is "too far" (I'm not making fun of you Guero but seriously Los Fresnos is in the middle of everything).
ive said this before...
the distance is not a problem for ME. however it is a problem for any new comers from any where else besides los fresnos. i dont mind if the tournament is in freakin san antonio. but i will say that a it would be alot more fun if new people started showing up. also you shouldnt give up on people like that. more people will come to our tourneys if we advertise them the right way.

nice

How would you guys feel about a get-together at my place?
i will go if i can get a ride

this is the best addition to my porn collection

It was fun bowserciding you guys yesteday. ;)
bombchuuuuu!!!!!! ur my bf now! jay can just go spank his bone alone!

derkapalooza

Smash Journeyman
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom