• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Actually, Blades can fight without their driver occasionally, just won't be that powerful when compared to them fighting together.
This is what I meant too.

There are also other exceptions, but those are massive spoilers. So I won't talk about there.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
That's debatable. XCX had ~3 years worth of marketing while XC2 only had 12 months. XCX also had merchandise for the Formula Doll model.
To be fair, X despite it being announced in 2013, I still feel it lacked some marketing in the west. It also doesn't help that X was always a basebreaker, because of how different it is in compare to the original Xenoblade.(I recall the Japanese where also really dissapointed when they got their hands on X and this could influence Sakurai, because in the past tended to listen to the japanese fans more)

Not saying that X was a bad game, but to understand its charm you need to look different at it, but if you went in with the expectations that it would be like the original game well such a person would most likely be left with major dissapointment, and I feel the majority of the people had these expectations.

I also saw the overall Xenoblade fanbase getting divided with my own eyes, because I was part of the original Shulk thread here and before Shulk got in Smash, the overall mindset was discussing that game or guided new people in their playtroughs without spoiling stuff. But that all changed when X got released, thats when the constant fanwars started.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
To be fair, X despite it being announced in 2013, I still feel it lacked some marketing in the west. It also doesn't help that X was always a basebreaker, because of how different it is in compare to the original Xenoblade.(I recall the Japanese where also really dissapointed when they got their hands on X and this could influence Sakurai, because in the past tended to listen to the japanese fans more)

Not saying that X was a bad game, but to understand its charm you need to look different at it, but if you went in with the expectations that it would be like the original game well such a person would most likely be left with major dissapointment, and I feel the majority of the people had these expectations.

I also saw the overall Xenoblade fanbase getting divided with my own eyes, because I was part of the original Shulk thread here and before Shulk got in Smash, the overall mindset was discussing that game or guided new people in their playtroughs without spoiling stuff. But that all changed when X got released, thats when the constant fanwars started.
To be fair this can be boiled down to gamer's tendency to quickly devolve into 'different I don't like different' when things like this come up. X had problems no doubt but it got to the point of insanity at times as people were treating X like it was the anti-christ. Most people have seemed to calm down about the game at this point with hindsight and I don't see as much trashing the game as a whole, just particular aspects of it.

To be additions XB2 didn't really close those divides and probably broke them down even further. Since none of the three games are even remotely similar from a gameplay aspect at this point and even ascetically.

I enjoy all three games in the series, I wouldn't exactly call any of them perfect games lol.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
To be fair this can be boiled down to gamer's tendency to quickly devolve into 'different I don't like different' when things like this come up. X had problems no doubt but it got to the point of insanity at times as people were treating X like it was the anti-christ. Most people have seemed to calm down about the game at this point with hindsight and I don't see as much trashing the game as a whole, just particular aspects of it.

To be additions XB2 didn't really close those divides and probably broke them down even further. Since none of the three games are even remotely similar from a gameplay aspect at this point and even ascetically.

I enjoy all three games in the series, I wouldn't exactly call any of them perfect games lol.
The XB2 hatebase is more the "to much anime crowd" though, but the majority of the Xenoblade fanbase enjoyed it and people that loved original, but where not as keen on X, enjoyed it to, to my observations.

Also you basically sum up perfectly what I mean, with X dividing the fanbase, because both sides became really awful. For example X fans could get fed up with people that preffered the original.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
As much as I want Rex to be given the option to use more Blades than the Aegis, I don’t see Sakurai giving him too much stuff.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
The XB2 hatebase is more the "to much anime crowd" though, but the majority of the Xenoblade fanbase enjoyed it and people that loved original, but where not as keen on X, enjoyed it to, to my observations.

Also you basically sum up perfectly what I mean, with X dividing the fanbase, because both sides became really awful. For example X fans could get fed up with people that preffered the original.
This is why I always say I enjoy all Xenoblade games and I won't easily say which game is better than the others.
As much as I want Rex to be given the option to use more Blades than the Aegis, I don’t see Sakurai giving him too much stuff.
Probably time constraints if that is the reason, otherwise they have to give Rex more Blades than just Pyra/Mythra.

D

Deleted member

If we do get more Blades than Pyra/Mythra, they almost certainly wouldn't have their own movesets. Rex would just swap between them for different attacks. i.e Rex uses Pyra for a Forward Smash, someone like Dromarch for an Up Smash, and someone else like Poppi for a Down Smash, etc. The most move swaps he'd get would be having 3 different sets of specials for each Blade, but even that's unlikely given the eradication of transformation characters in Smash 4 and Sakurai's new stance against them: "Transforming characters had the drawback of ambiguous tactics and such, and I believe that they have become more fresh now.”

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Well, we can definitely expect Rex with Pyra(and maybe Mythra) only if we makes it to the base roster, but if he ends up being DLC and with Sakurai having actually played the game, I think it is a decent possibility Rex might end up using more blades. I would honestly like Rex to use his "canon" blades, but one of them is a big spoiler sadly.

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
If we do get more Blades than Pyra/Mythra, they almost certainly wouldn't have their own movesets. Rex would just swap between them for different attacks. i.e Rex uses Pyra for a Forward Smash, someone like Dromarch for an Up Smash, and someone else like Poppi for a Down Smash, etc. The most move swaps he'd get would be having 3 different sets of specials for each Blade, but even that's unlikely given the eradication of transformation characters in Smash 4 and Sakurai's new stance against them: "Transforming characters had the drawback of ambiguous tactics and such, and I believe that they have become more fresh now.”
I actually think on the contrary, Rex should have different movesets using different Blades.

But I aware that can be a problem, so I also hope they can make it optional on how many Blades you will go, you can go only with Pyra/Mythra or with more Blades.
I would honestly like Rex to use his "canon" blades, but one of them is a big spoiler sadly.
Yeah, one is a spoiler that actually is a bit easily in the game.
Another is a huge spoiler... but it is so popular that not much people bothered to set it as spoiler.... kind of like someone from XC...

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Another is a huge spoiler... but it is so popular that not much people bothered to set it as spoiler.... kind of like someone from XC...
I wonder if Sakurai will give her two trophies like what we got with Fiora?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I actually think on the contrary, Rex should have different movesets using different Blades.

But I aware that can be a problem, so I also hope they can make it optional on how many Blades you will go, you can go only with Pyra/Mythra or with more Blades.
It's pretty obvious that I'm against the idea, as cool as it would be. After all, I'm pretty biased towards my own moveset with just Pyra, especially since I finally got around to ironing out the kinks and finishing it. That being said, here's how I think it'd work if we did get a Blade Switch system: Rex has Pyra + 2 other blades (no Mythra though), and switches between their weapons for his various normals. Each Blade would occupy ~1/3rd of Rex's moveset, and his specials would change depending on the Blade he last used.

The main benefit behind this system would be that there isn't a special dedicated to changing Blades. If all of Rex's other moves were divided up between 3 Blades and that was how he changed specials, a few of the problems with transformation characters would be mitigated. There would be less moves on the whole to help with development time, the transition between differing moves would be smoother and more practical since there'd be an attack occupying the change, and more importantly, the player would be forced into switching up their equipped Blade since otherwise they'd cripple themselves by avoiding using 2/3rds of Rex's normals.

I'd suggest using Poppi alpha and Dromarch to be Rex's other 2 Blades since they fulfill different roles than Pyra without being spoilery. That way there could be a concrete set of different strengths and weaknesses behind each Blade, like Pyra would do the most damage and have the most range but would be laggier than the others, Poppi alpha could have specials that either could super armor through reflect or block attacks at the cost of DPS, and Dromarch could have a good recovery and a few healing moves with attacks that are faster but short range. Although there'd still be the possibility of having a Zelda/Sheik situation where one is clearly better than the others, it'd be a much easier balancing act than trying to make 3 whole movesets roughly equal in utility, especially since the player would constantly be changing Blades through their normals (in theory anyway). The idea behind this being that the player would make the most of their equipped Blade without having one that clearly overshadows the others.

Last edited by a moderator:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I wonder if Sakurai will give her two trophies like what we got with Fiora?
Very likely
No
DEFINITELY.
It's pretty obvious that I'm against the idea, as cool as it would be. After all, I'm pretty biased towards my own moveset with just Pyra, especially since I finally got around to ironing out the kinks and finishing it. That being said, here's how I think it'd work if we did get a Blade Switch system: Rex has Pyra + 2 other blades (no Mythra though), and switches between their weapons for his various normals. Each Blade would occupy ~1/3rd of Rex's moveset, and his specials would change depending on the Blade he last used.

The main benefit behind this system would be that there isn't a special dedicated to changing Blades. If all of Rex's other moves were divided up between 3 Blades and that was how he changed specials, a few of the problems with transformation characters would be mitigated. There would be less moves on the whole to help with development time, the transition between differing moves would be smoother and more practical since there'd be an attack occupying the change, and more importantly, the player would be forced into switching up their equipped Blade since otherwise they'd cripple themselves by avoiding using 2/3rds of Rex's normals.

I'd suggest using Poppi alpha and Dromarch to be Rex's other 2 Blades since they fulfill different roles than Pyra without being spoilery. That way there could be a concrete set of different strengths and weaknesses behind each Blade, like Pyra would do the most damage and have the most range but would be laggier than the others, Poppi alpha could have specials that either could super armor through reflect or block attacks at the cost of DPS, and Dromarch could have a good recovery and a few healing moves with attacks that are faster but short range. Although there'd still be the possibility of having a Zelda/Sheik situation where one is clearly better than the others, it'd be a much easier balancing act than trying to make 3 whole movesets roughly equal in utility, especially since the player would constantly be changing Blades through their normals (in theory anyway). The idea behind this being that the player would make the most of their equipped Blade without having one that clearly overshadows the others.
While I do think your idea is interesting and not totally against, I just found your moveset for Rex non cannon because when you swap blades you will have cool down.

You see how Shulk's Monado arts are put into the game. While he has his arts and some unique moves for his other movesets.

And how Poppi can be used by Rex? I get that Smash Bros can be non cannon some times but even if Rex can use every rare Blades. .. He still can't use Poppi (not sure about NG+) .... Don't know why...

I think Poppi and Tora will be assist trophies like Riki. And a part of Rex's final Smash (Chain attack...)

And core crystals as a new assist item.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

While I do think your idea is interesting and not totally against, I just found your moveset for Rex non cannon because when you swap blades you will have cool down.

You see how Shulk's Monado arts are put into the game. While he has his arts and some unique moves for his other movesets.

And how Poppi can be used by Rex? I get that Smash Bros can be non cannon some times but even if Rex can use every rare Blades. .. He still can't use Poppi (not sure about NG+) .... Don't know why...

I think Poppi and Tora will be assist trophies like Riki. And a part of Rex's final Smash (Chain attack...)

And core crystals as a new assist item.
Smash doesn't make everything 100% canon, it merely adapts things to suit its needs. For example, only Monado Speed provides a stat buff in Xenoblade, and Sakurai even made Jump and Smash up. The cooldown is also timer based per each individual Monado Art, rather than having the same cooldown for all of his Monado Arts and tying the recharge to landing auto-attacks.

My non-canon stuff isn't even that egregious. Like if you want to get real technical, equipping an Overclocking Bangle and Fast Blade Switch AUX cores on your Blades brings the Blade Switch cooldown to next to nothing, and even then cooldown is something that would only serve to limit my moveset concept rather than balancing it out. And I'd argue that the only reason Rex can't use Poppi is because Tora wouldn't have any other Blade to fight with since all of Poppi's forms are the same robot (the whole "you cannot disengage a Driver's topmost Blade" thing). The whole idea behind an artificial blade is that anyone can use it, even someone without potential like Tora. There's nothing stopping someone with aptitude like Rex from using one. In the end it's just a concept for what I think we'd get if we got multiple Blades since another 3 in 1 character is simply not happening. Dromarch and Poppi alpha happen to be the best choices since they fill out all 3 Blade roles and were among the first Blades we got to know about, and don't spoil anything in the story. As for a Final Smash, it could either be Burning Sword, a fusion attack with multiple Blades a la Pokemon Trainer, or Mythra.

On the topic of ATs, I'm a big fan of Zeke shouting "Ultimate Lightning Fury Slash... MAX!!!!" while performing ULFS Max and then striking a pose with Pandy and dipping.

The bit about Core Crystals is a neat idea though. It probably won't happen, but it'd be the only way I'd get to see Kasandra in Smash so I hope it happens.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Smash doesn't make everything 100% canon, it merely adapts things to suit its needs. For example, only Monado Speed provides a stat buff in Xenoblade, and Sakurai even made Jump and Smash up. The cooldown is also timer based per each individual Monado Art, rather than having the same cooldown for all of his Monado Arts and tying the recharge to landing auto-attacks.
Yeah, but those aren't that far fetched or too out of the game.

My non-canon stuff isn't even that egregious. Like if you want to get real technical, equipping an Overclocking Bangle and Fast Blade Switch AUX cores on your Blades brings the Blade Switch cooldown to next to nothing, and even then cooldown is something that would only serve to limit my moveset concept rather than balancing it out.
Nah I don't think those should even be Considered.
The whole idea behind an artificial blade is that anyone can use it, even someone without potential like Tora. There's nothing stopping someone with aptitude like Rex from using one.
But I still don't see Rex using Poppi in Smash, unless there is something...
I rather want Rex use the actual rare Blades.

D

Deleted member

Here's a question for you:

If you had to give Rex two Rare Blades he can uses in Xenoblade 2 which aren't the following:
Dromarch, Brighid, Pandoria, Roc, Nia, Aegaeon and the Torna ones.
to be also used in Smash besides Pyra and Mythra, which ones would they be?

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I am assuming that is what Mario meant when he wants actual rare blades and that is the thing. Who from the optional blades can you give to Rex since they are all on equal footing? Hopefully not Godfrey, but regardless the optional blades are better left to a core crystal item while Rex uses the story blades like Dromarch and Poppi since they with Pyra complete the ATK, HLR, and TNK triangle.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

If you had to give Rex two Rare Blades he can uses in Xenoblade 2 which aren't the following:
godfrey and ursula

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

Basically, Main character Blades, spoiler Blades, story obtain quest Blades, NG+ Blades right?

Easy
KOS MOS and Zenobia
KOS MOS well... for Xenosaga representative, and Rex needs cannon
Zenobia's attitude fits for join Smash Bros.
I am assuming that is what Mario meant when he wants actual rare blades and that is the thing. Who from the optional blades can you give to Rex since they are all on equal footing? Hopefully not Godfrey.
That's why I think it is more likely that other Blades Rex have are the story obtain Blades that aren't really a huge spoiler.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I'd rather not see a single newcomer take up 3 movesets, and I don't think any of the guest Blades (save Kos-mos, who could be her own fighter) really deserve a slot either. Between Rex and Pyra you already have a strong core for a fighter.

D

Deleted member

What would be the ultimate move is to give Rex a Greataxe Blade and a Megalance Blade in order to troll people who request a FE character who uses an axe or a lance haha.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
What would be the ultimate move is to give Rex a Greataxe Blade and a Megalance Blade in order to troll people who request a FE character who uses an axe or a lance haha.
Yeah, my pick then would be again Zenobia and Megalance can be Praxis.

GolisoPower

Smash Master

For me? Praxis and Theory.

They’re a Dynamic Duo in Alrest, sisters ‘til the end! But also because one of them uses a spear while the other is uses ice, the former we don’t have in Smash and the other we don’t have much of.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
For me? Praxis and Theory.

They’re a Dynamic Duo in Alrest, sisters ‘til the end! But also because one of them uses a spear while the other is uses ice, the former we don’t have in Smash and the other we don’t have much of.
I personally think they will be assist Blades from core crystals. Or assist trophies at least.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Core Crystals would be perfect as an assist trophy/poke ball item.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Agreed.

Too bad my favorite ice Blade won't appear for obvious reasons

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So that got me thinking, if you can have the Torna Blades pulled from Core Crystals in Smash Bros.:

1) Could Perdido potentially fight alongside you, unlike other Blades?
2) How do we make Patroka different from Wulfric?
3) What weapon would Akhos use?
4) How would Obrona and Mikhail’s respective weapons work?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Edit: He deleted the videos and tweet for some reason

I posted this in the general discussion thread but it kind of got drowned out, so I'll leave it here. A guy called Master of Hyrule leaked what Nintendo's E3 floor looks like, saying it focuses on Pokemon and Smash. He said that the Smash section will have various props on display, stuff like Fox's blaster, Duck Hunt's can, Bayonetta's gun heels, and Captain Falcon's helmet. The one that caught my eye though was the supposed Monado prop. He gave a partial picture of Smash 5's Battlefield as evidence, and last year he apparently had inside knowledge that Nintendo's E3 floor would look like New Donk City.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

While this could be true or false (I'm personally leaning towards believing it), what does everyone here think about the Monado prop? Assuming this is real, it was the only one he listed that seemed somewhat suspicious. The other characters with props he listed that weren't blatantly obvious like Mario were all Smash staples like Fox and Falcon (except Bayo and Duck Hunt, but Bayo is a big name who won the ballot and is basically a Nintendo character, and Duck Hunt is a gaming icon of sorts). I get that Nintendo is trying to push Xenoblade, but it still feels odd to have Shulk be one of the first characters we know about while being showcased at E3, especially considering his game in particular came out a long time ago. I think it could be like in Smash 4 when Kid Icarus was up there with Mario, DKC, and Pokemon in the initial reveal trailer, and it was later shown that Palutena was a newcomer. If the Monado really is there, a Rex & Pyra reveal at E3 is definitely in the cards.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I posted this in the general discussion thread but it kind of got drowned out, so I'll leave it here. A guy called Master of Hyrule leaked what Nintendo's E3 floor looks like, saying it focuses on Pokemon and Smash. He said that the Smash section will have various props on display, stuff like Fox's blaster, Duck Hunt's can, Bayonetta's gun heels, and Captain Falcon's helmet. The one that caught my eye though was the supposed Monado prop. He gave a partial picture of Smash 5's Battlefield as evidence, and last year he apparently had inside knowledge that Nintendo's E3 floor would look like New Donk City.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

While this could be true or false (I'm personally leaning towards believing it), what does everyone here think about the Monado prop? Assuming this is real, it was the only one he listed that seemed somewhat suspicious. The other characters with props he listed that weren't blatantly obvious like Mario were all Smash staples like Fox and Falcon (except Bayo and Duck Hunt, but Bayo is a big name who won the ballot and is basically a Nintendo character, and Duck Hunt is a gaming icon of sorts). I get that Nintendo is trying to push Xenoblade, but it still feels odd to have Shulk be one of the first characters we know about. I think it could be like in Smash 4 when Kid Icarus was up there with Mario, DKC, and Pokemon in the initial reveal trailer, and it was later revealed that Palutena was a newcomer. If the Monado really is there, a Rex & Pyra reveal at E3 is definitely in the cards.
Dang! Looks believable enough, but I won't buy into it JUST yet. Besides, I'm not even sure if Master0fHyrule has a leaking track record.

D

Deleted member

Dang! Looks believable enough, but I won't buy into it JUST yet. Besides, I'm not even sure if Master0fHyrule has a leaking track record.
Edit 2: He deleted the videos and tweet for some reason.

He did have knowledge about the floor last year. Here it is:

And Nintendo's E3 floor that year looked like...

New Donk City.

Edit: Haha there's one guy with a Persona 5 poster near the bottom. Neat.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
He did have knowledge about the floor last year. Here it is:

And Nintendo's E3 floor that year looked like...

New Donk City.

Edit: Haha there's one guy with a Persona 5 poster near the bottom. Neat.
Well sweet mama! Guess we know who's coming back so far, then! And I know this might sound unlikely, but I hope there's the Buster Sword hidden somewhere in there as well!

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Well assuming it is true I definitely see a Xenoblade character getting revealed either Elma or Rex. But of course I am rooting for my boy Rex as he is my most wanted newcomer.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so what we have is some grainy images and a guys saying hes being shown screenshots but not sharing them? uh huh

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I think Rex is a pretty strong possibility of being seen in Smash 5, personally. Elma is also a possibility, but I think that in present-day, Rex certainly has a much bigger impact with most Xenoblade fans. Rex also has limitless move-set potential to top it off. This isn't to say Elma doesn't, but relevancy and reception really do not stack very well for her IMO.

Rex also has a very easy Final Smash and alternate move-set potential, but due to spoilers I'll just leave it at that.

Overall I hope to see Rex in Smash 5. I think that if Fire Emblem can have that many characters then every other franchise deserves at least 2 more, lol.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
If Rex had different blades(Which I doubt would happen) they'd probably just trim in down to one's he gets in Story
So along with Pyra he'd have Wulfic and they'd either go the spoiler route with Roc or "Generic Wind Fist Girl" he'll always get from the first crystal

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
While it is true that Smash games mostly uses characters from the previous generation, there is strong merit in promoting Switch characters like Rex and probably Spring Man. If Rex and Pyra were complete(which I believe) by the time Sakurai started production on Smash 5 then I see no reason to hold them back for DLC. Be ready or Gormotti for Rex!

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
While it is true that Smash games mostly uses characters from the previous generation, there is strong merit in promoting Switch characters like Rex and probably Spring Man. If Rex and Pyra were complete(which I believe) by the time Sakurai started production on Smash 5 then I see no reason to hold them back for DLC. Be ready or Gormotti for Rex!
Honestly the previous generation was pretty barren though to choose newcomers from, which imo favours Rex & Pyra to. Inkling and Elma are really the only noteworthy characters regarding newcomers, if we base ourselves on the WiiU era.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I am not going to believe any leaks or Gematsu situation until after E3 anyway. I still do hope we get a Xenoblade character at E3 though.

Top Bottom