• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
I think the main artist did hentai, so that would explain a lot with regards to Pyra/Mythra's design.

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I think the main artist did hentai, so that would explain a lot with regards to Pyra/Mythra's design.
It's actually very common among Japanese artists to draw hentai. I wouldn't be surprised if some designers of Pokemon, Fire Emblem, etc. did some hentai.

D

Deleted member

Implying having drawn hentai makes your subsequent safe works bad.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It's actually very common among Japanese artists to draw hentai. I wouldn't be surprised if some designers of Pokemon, Fire Emblem, etc. did some hentai.
Frankly drawing NSFW material is common for artists in general. Even with some of the negative perspective on it drawing images of that sort can help with anatomy and other things of that sort. Admittedly Hentai artists tend to be known extremely exaggerating the anatomy in question but there are beneficial reasons for artists to do things like that.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
DustyPumpkin DustyPumpkin

Well, what about that mainly-white-and-green Gundam suit he gets in Chapter 7 as an alt? Maybe he’ll be more bearable for you then?
Eh, it's slightly better a decent mix of white and black with some dabs of teal and blue but they won't use it cause its not his main outfit.

Also the main artist being a hentai artist says more about Rex than the females.
Cause nothing is more bland, run of the mill and forgettable than a harem protagonist.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Eh, it's slightly better a decent mix of white and black with some dabs of teal and blue but they won't use it cause its not his main outfit.

Also the main artist being a hentai artist says more about Rex than the females.
Cause nothing is more bland, run of the mill and forgettable than a harem protagonist.

to be fair

only three of the characters are in love with them (and two of them are technically them same person) im no expert but i dont think thats much of a harem

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
to be fair

only three of the characters are in love with them (and two of them are technically them same person) im no expert but i dont think thats much of a harem
Fair point, Rex isn't a technically a harem protagonist.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Rex seems like he was mostly designed to be generic looking intentionally. I mean he's basically a deep sea diver who gathers old junk from the Cloud Sea. From what I could take from the story it doesn't seem like Salvagers are particularly well regarded in Alrest and most of them just seem like they get by. They pretty much grunt workers just serve a specific purpose in the society surrounding the game and very little else. Most of the Salvagers in XB2 just kind of run around in their Salvage gear like Rex is doing.

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
I'm part of the Elma support group, but I'd love to see Rex and/or Pyra in the game too. So count me in.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I made a quick comic to illustrate how I think Sakurai will add Elma and Rex in Smash Switch.

It was fun to make, and I hope you get a good idea on how I interpret both of their additions.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I can't see anyone from Pokemon doing hentai, the only big artist for that series is Ken Sugimori. I do know that a couple awakening artists did Hentai, however.

Last edited:

Agecaf

Smash Rookie
I started the game not liking Rex much (I preferred to take care of surviving, so I mostly used Nia), but as the story progresses, I've come to find him a much more interesting character (naive but learning, hopeful and determined). Pyra/Mythra too had much more depth than I initially expected. I'd more than support Rex/Pyra for Smash!

I was thinking of what their gimmick could be... and there's just quite a few features from XC2 that would be interesting in smash.
- There's normal attacks, Driver arts, and Blade arts.
- Normal attacks and Driver arts can be cancelled into Driver or Blade arts.
- There's Driver combos and Blade combos.
- Blade combos seal a power from the enemies.
- You can change blades to change element and moveset.

Here's the "coolest" but unlikely moveset I can think of;
Normals, Driver arts and Blade change can be cancelled into Driver arts, Blade arts and Blade change, which cancels the endlag of the move, maybe only if they hit an enemy. All moves have relatively longer endlag compared to other characters. Driver arts need one or two normal attacks to recharge, Blade arts charge with two or three cancelled-into driver arts.
Normal attacks: jabs, tilts, smashes and aerials (except Dair).
Driver arts: Side B Rolling smash, Up B Double Spinning Edge (a bit like Link's up B), Grab/Tether Grab Anchor shot (If cancelled-into, "trips" instead of grabbing, which could be teched like Ganandorf's Side B. This would represent "topple"), Down Air would represent "smash". Up throw could represent "lauch" (after a topple).
Blade Switch: Down B. Could simply change the element of the blade rather than the whole moveset.
Blade arts: Neutral B. Rex returns the weapon to the Blade and they execute the Blade art corresponding to the amount of charges they have. Meanwhile, Rex receives a massive mobility bonus, but can't do any attacks (in this state he can only move, jump, shield/dodge, and tether recover). Thus Blade arts could be used as a sideways recovery move. Landing a blade combo on an enemy "seals" something depending on the last element. E.g. lowers their knockback, damage, etc. A bit like reverse-monado arts.

Final smash should be bringing Nia and Tora for one of those simultaneous attacks that destroy bosses. Other things could be even better, but it would come into spoilers.

Alternatively, especially if changing blades is not implemented... Then different blades (especially Pyra/Mythra) could be parts of the alternate costumes...

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I wonder if they will have to change Pyra and Mythras design a little if they get into Smash, a bit like FemCorrin and Bayonetta

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Ideally there should be something that references the Blade Combo and Driver mechanic.

Shulk references major mechanics of Xenoblade Chronicles by incorporating Arts and Vision, ultimately being more complex than the average character due to needing to juggling between his different arts. Rex should have complexity too, but a different kind of complexity.

For context, how Blade Combos work is that each blade has a different element, and by chaining together specific combinations you can create devastating attacks. My question is how to incorporate something like that in a moveset. My guess is that it would involve a down special where Rex can shuffle between different elements at a time, and can utilize their effects to change the properties of his attacks. The big issue is of course making the idea work practically.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if they will have to change Pyra and Mythras design a little if they get into Smash, a bit like FemCorrin and Bayonetta
I've been wondering this too. The change on Corrin was so minor that Pyra and Mythra would almost definitely be changed, but what would they do for Pyra? Her design is far more revealing than any of the other characters, so it would be a lot more difficult to modify her design. Maybe they'll go back to a T rating this time instead of E10+, and designs won't have to be modified?

Also I haven't posted in this thread yet, so I'll say now that I definitely support Rex and Pyra in Smash!

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I've been wondering this too. The change on Corrin was so minor that Pyra and Mythra would almost definitely be changed, but what would they do for Pyra? Her design is far more revealing than any of the other characters, so it would be a lot more difficult to modify her design. Maybe they'll go back to a T rating this time instead of E10+, and designs won't have to be modified?

Also I haven't posted in this thread yet, so I'll say now that I definitely support Rex and Pyra in Smash!
Smash was always historically rated A in Japan, they will have no choice but to alter both of their designs. Whether Sakurai likes it or not.

They can have more armory to remove Mythra's cleavage window while Pyra will be covered to remove any signs of that strap. That's what we all can expect.

D

Deleted member

Ideally there should be something that references the Blade Combo and Driver mechanic.

Shulk references major mechanics of Xenoblade Chronicles by incorporating Arts and Vision, ultimately being more complex than the average character due to needing to juggling between his different arts. Rex should have complexity too, but a different kind of complexity.

For context, how Blade Combos work is that each blade has a different element, and by chaining together specific combinations you can create devastating attacks. My question is how to incorporate something like that in a moveset. My guess is that it would involve a down special where Rex can shuffle between different elements at a time, and can utilize their effects to change the properties of his attacks. The big issue is of course making the idea work practically.
Shulk didn't use Break > Topple > Daze in his moveset so I don't think it's necessary to hammer in something about Blade Combos. The Monado Arts and Vision were Shulk exclusive skills too, not universal ones. If you're trying to craft a moveset that's representative of Rex in particular, focusing on the bond between Drivers and Blades through affinity and how they fight together is a lot more effective and feasible than something with Driver/Blade Combos. It's especially relevant to Rex and Pyra given their unique link and how often their bond comes up in the narrative.

This comes back to Shulk since his whole shtick with changing the future (chiefly through visions + Monado Arts) and not succumbing to fatalist thinking is a real theme in XC1, much like how Rex has to truly master the Aegis as he and Pyra come to trust each other and gain strength because of it. Hence the Blade skills being tied to something called an affinity chart rather than a skill tree, and how Blades gain damage bonuses and unlock affinity nodes for increasing trust. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that Shulk's main unique stuff that was intrinsic to the story was put into his moveset, so Rex & Pyra should expect the same. And in their case the link between Driver and Blades itself is the thing that's essential to the story and it's even the whole premise behind combat system. It's not like Rex is running around Alrest beating up the baddies because he's got a team of Blades with all 8 elements on it. Heck, it's even in the name, Rex & Pyra. There's a reason why they're a pair!

I posted my moveset in this thread already, but the 3 main ways I'd represent what I'm talking about are these:
  1. Rex and Pyra are on the battlefield at the same time (i.e Pyra doesn't pull a Pokemon Trainer).
  2. Have some kind of affinity link with in battle bonuses/detriments depending on if it's high or low.
  3. Incorporate Blade Specials into a few moves so the Aegis Sword actively changes hands between the two.
The aim behind all of these is to show that the two fight together and depend on one another. They're stronger together and weaker alone, which is in both XC2's gameplay and story. You can disagree with the implementation, but I think the general concept behind it is the best way to represent Rex & Pyra (and XC2 in general) without making a moveset that's too convoluted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
You guys okay with Rex not making the base roster and being DLC? I'll be cool with it, but I'm hoping he will be in the first wave. :p

D

Deleted member

You guys okay with Rex not making the base roster and being DLC? I'll be cool with it, but I'm hoping he will be in the first wave. :p
Depending how DLC will be handled this time.

If it's like with Smash 4, I wouldn't count on it.
Smash 4's DLCs were focused on veterans, gaming icons and upcoming big games.
Rex's best chances are to be in the base roster, otherwise he'll get Chrom'd.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Shulk didn't use Break > Topple > Daze in his moveset so I don't think it's necessary to hammer in something about Blade Combos. The Monado Arts and Vision were Shulk exclusive skills too, not universal ones. If you're trying to craft a moveset that's representative of Rex in particular, focusing on the bond between Drivers and Blades through affinity and how they fight together is a lot more effective and feasible than something with Driver/Blade Combos. It's especially relevant to Rex and Pyra given their unique link and how often their bond comes up in the narrative.

This comes back to Shulk since his whole shtick with changing the future (chiefly through visions + Monado Arts) and not succumbing to fatalist thinking is a real theme in XC1, much like how Rex has to truly master the Aegis as he and Pyra come to trust each other and gain strength because of it. Hence the Blade skills being tied to something called an affinity chart rather than a skill tree, and how Blades gain damage bonuses and unlock affinity nodes for increasing trust. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that Shulk's main unique stuff that was intrinsic to the story was put into his moveset, so Rex & Pyra should expect the same. And in their case the link between Driver and Blades itself is the thing that's essential to the story and it's even the whole premise behind combat system. It's not like Rex is running around Alrest beating up the baddies because he's got a team of Blades with all 8 elements on it. Heck, it's even in the name, Rex & Pyra. There's a reason why they're a pair!

I posted my moveset in this thread already, but the 3 main ways I'd represent what I'm talking about are these:
  1. Rex and Pyra are on the battlefield at the same time (i.e Pyra doesn't pull a Pokemon Trainer).
  2. Have some kind of affinity link with in battle bonuses/detriments depending on if it's high or low.
  3. Incorporate Blade Specials into a few moves so the Aegis Sword actively changes hands between the two.
The aim behind all of these is to show that the two fight together and depend on one another. They're stronger together and weaker alone, which is in both XC2's gameplay and story. You can disagree with the implementation, but I think the general concept behind it is the best way to represent Rex & Pyra (and XC2 in general) without making a moveset that's too convoluted.
Shulk was never going to reference Break > Topple > Daze due to Super Smash Bros. putting so much emphasis on movement. It's very hard to pull that specific combo off when characters are constantly running, jumping, and teching. Though Shulk does reference Break to some extent if you interpret it as "breaking shields", due to Buster increasing shield damage and stun overall. But that's still stretching it. Instead his Monado Arts references how Arts in general work, by choosing between each one and each one having a cool down period. The main difference is that they're all status buffs and debuffs instead of being actual attacks like the majority of Shulk's Arts are. I feel that's a fair compromise.

Rex & Pyra are likely going to get similar compromise just by the sole fact that incorporating every single mechanic of Drivers and Blades would be too impractical. Like if they wanted to reference affinity, they do that with a passive charge. If they want to reference the elements, they can use certain Blade Combo specials like Steam Bomb, Flame Bolt, and Volcano with certain attacks. But at the same time I feel like that's still too limiting.

Though now that you bring up "story" elements, that's make me question where Mythra would play into all this. After all, the game makes a big deal about her too.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Mythra would most likely be the final smash as she is both story and gameplay wise canonically stronger than Pyra with no real drawbacks so it would be weird to make her a normal transformation like Sheik. She will either function as a super form making Rex hit hard and move faster or I can see her just appearing and activating her lvl 4 special and turn back into Pyra.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Mythra would most likely be the final smash as she is both story and gameplay wise canonically stronger than Pyra with no real drawbacks so it would be weird to make her a normal transformation. She will either function as a super form making Rex hit hard and move faster or I can see her just appearing and activating her lvl 4 special and turn back into Pyra.
ive been picturing the final smash as one of those two, just not with mythra

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Honestly I could see Mythra + Rex (alt outfit) as a clone/alt costume. Less multihit attacks in return for stronger single hits, Lucas/Ness' final smash (Sacred Arrows), and faster but weaker specials.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
I more see Pyra just tagging along with Rex & Mythra either as his Final Smash or when Rex reaches 100% damage Pyra transforms into Mythra and boost all of Rex's moves(kinda like how Lucario's aura works)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Do you think Sakurai at least knew about the idea of Rex and the blade concept way back in Smash 4 DLC. With Elma being among the closest candidates that could have been chosen as a promotional candidate for Smash DLC, I feel Sakurai did talk to Monolith Soft a bit about Elma, with MS noting Sakurai about the start of development for Xenoblade 2. He could known Rex/Pyra waaaaay before Smash Switch's roster plan came to fruition in early 2016. Perhaps Sakurai kept Elma AND Rex in mind for the future and possibly considered adding both to the roster due to both of their gameplay potential.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Yes, the first full length trailer for XBC2 released in January 2017, so Monolith Soft definitely had Rex and Pyra fleshed out and completed in 2016. I can see Sakurai approaching Monolith Soft to ask to put Shulk back in the game, but also to try and bring in a X character in either Cross or Elma, but Monolith Soft has told him they are working on a new game and showed off Rex and the blade concept to him. Honestly, I see no reason why Sakurai should pick between one or the other, he can put both of them if he wanted to. The only reason Rex won't get in the base roster is if Sakurai thinks it is too early to include him.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
There's definitely a stronger argument to put in an X character and a 2 character as opposed to, say, 2 new Fire Emblem characters. The differences in aesthetic, gameplay, focus (story-driven vs world-driven) set them apart from each other more than FE's new cast each entry.

Anyways, I was thinking about how an Ice Climbers-type character would work practically when both members are equally important. If you could just separate and knock-out Pyra that would KO make for really frustrating gameplay; she's more important than Popo but probably still as dumb AI-wise (not that Xenobade party member AI is ever smart to begin with). It might make sense to have 'custom rules' for how they handle damage and knockback.
For instance, if she and Rex are on opposite sides of a character and get hit with a down smash, rather than get knocked back in separate directions, Pyra will mimic Rex's direction. Why? Because she mirrors any injuries Rex has on account of their shared core crystal... and because it'd be too easy to separate them otherwise. Maybe their affinity tether keeps them from flying too far apart; if you were to spike Pyra, she'd take heavy damage, hit the end of her tether, and snap back to where Rex is (with heavy recoil).
Drivers are expected to protect their Blades, and Rex/Pyra do share their lifeforce. I read that Bowser Jr takes less damage on his clowncar hitbox and more on his actual body; something similar might work here. For instance, maybe they share their % damage but take less damage individually. So a 10% attack does 7% damage if it hits one of them, but 14% if it hits both of them. Or Rex takes reduced damage but Pyra takes increased damage. I don't know whether it'd be better to hit both of them or to only hit Pyra.

Basically for them to be feasible as Ice Climber type characters they'd benefit from some 'custom' rules. I guess you could make Pyra like the Pokemon trainer and have her just behind the stage mimicing Rex's direction, but that's boring imo.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Oh you're right, I did get way past your point, lol. Okay then yes, I think it is possible that Sakurai was informed by Monolith Soft that they are working on a new Xenoblade game, and told him about the blade concept around the time he was working on the dlc. Regardless of the case, timing is definitely not an issue like some people who argue against Rex think it is, and he can definitely make the base roster. But yes, both Elma and Rex offer unique gameplay, so Sakurai probably will think to reserve a spot for both of them, at least I hope that this will be the case.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Do you think Sakurai at least knew about the idea of Rex and the blade concept way back in Smash 4 DLC. With Elma being among the closest candidates that could have been chosen as a promotional candidate for Smash DLC, I feel Sakurai did talk to Monolith Soft a bit about Elma, with MS noting Sakurai about the start of development for Xenoblade 2. He could known Rex/Pyra waaaaay before Smash Switch's roster plan came to fruition in early 2016. Perhaps Sakurai kept Elma AND Rex in mind for the future and possibly considered adding both to the roster due to both of their gameplay potential.
I believe Xenoblade 2 started development in 2014 and unlike X, it was way more marketed to(You even have planned merchandise already for Pyra & Mythra)

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I believe Xenoblade 2 started development in 2014 and unlike X, it was way more marketed to(You even have planned merchandise already for Pyra & Mythra)
That's debatable. XCX had ~3 years worth of marketing while XC2 only had 12 months. XCX also had merchandise for the Formula Doll model.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Frankly drawing NSFW material is common for artists in general. Even with some of the negative perspective on it drawing images of that sort can help with anatomy and other things of that sort. Admittedly Hentai artists tend to be known extremely exaggerating the anatomy in question but there are beneficial reasons for artists to do things like that.
So therefore...
People should really just shut up about Saitou drawing hentais... since
1. It's not relevant to this thread or the game itself
2. It makes you more a bit of nitpicking...
3. hentais aren't the anime in general.. it's only a minor part...
4. Saitou doesn't draw official hentai artworks, he does it for fanarts. Which every series will have...

Anyway, kind of awful that I didn't see this thread... until now...

And people should also aware that Rex's moveset should stay non spoil...
My thoughts is Rex can have other rare blades, and he can switch Blades for different movesets and specials... only problem is... how will he switch Blades....

And from what we heard... Sakurai seems to be more fond of XC2 than XCX since we have seen his thoughts on Xenoblade 2, but we didn't when it comes to XCX.

I would love to see XCX having a fair share of representation but when it comes to which Xenoblade character will make us excited... well... it has to be Rex.

Playing Xenoblade 2 be like
Hm... this pic has swears so...
mods seems to be slacking off here...

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Someone asked me to make this.
upload_2018-4-21_11-27-20.png

So I don't know why people keep asking for both Rex and Pyra, is it a Jotaro/Star Platinum sort of deal, or are they an Ice Climbers duo, or are they just equally important to the story?

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
"Is it a Jotaro/Star Platinum sort of deal?" Basically, yes. The difference is Star Platinum has boxing gloves and is not as good at punching as Jotaro is, so SP gives the gloves to Jotaro and powers them up.
Replace Jotaro with Rex, SP with Pyra and gloves with sword and you got it.

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

So I don't know why people keep asking for both Rex and Pyra, is it a Jotaro/Star Platinum sort of deal, or are they an Ice Climbers duo, or are they just equally important to the story?
Go and check the non spoiler story and you will get it lol.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Lore wise, Blades can't fight without Driver and neither can a Driver without them. They technically need each other to fight.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Lore wise, Blades can't fight without Driver and neither can a Driver without them. They technically need each other to fight.
Actually, Blades can fight without their driver occasionally, just won't be that powerful when compared to them fighting together.

Top Bottom