• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
A proximity mechanic? If Sakurai was going to add Rex in with the Ice Climbers gimmick, I would expect that beam to be shown in Smash. Then again, looking at Xenoblade 2's battles with Pyra standing there and not holding the sword, I think the Pokémon Trainer's thing of having Pyra stand in the background would have worked better? Though I'm glad I'm going to control Pyra.
Why don’t you play the game before you make judgements on how it should play?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
He pretty much had everything going against him, huh.
My condolences for you all, but at least he might be :ultchrom:ed for the next game if you're lucky. The boost of publicity for XB2 already helps.
Well, at least Sakurai tried making him a fighter instead of denying him because of the costume like everyone assumed.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
My condolences for you all, but at least he might be :ultchrom:ed for the next game if you're lucky. The boost of publicity for XB2 already helps.
Hopefully, they either A) find another way to make it work, or B) remove certain aspects that made Rex so hard to add (I remember Sakurai specifically mentioned 8-Player Smash).

Arthur97

Smash Master
The taunt with Pyra waving to him is nice
Also may depend on how the new fans take to Rex. Though, not sure why they just had to be Ice Climbers like instead of having them be intangible as would make more sense in the context of the source material. That said, I doubt they'll rework them in the future to include him as part of the package and instead would probably make him a semi-clone or something. Maybe mirror it and have Pyra and Mythra show up in his taunts and stuff.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hopefully, they either A) find another way to make it work, or B) remove certain aspects that made Rex so hard to add (I remember Sakurai specifically mentioned 8-Player Smash).
I figure that if the next Smash is on a new console, the tech specs would presumably be stronger, but that's way too early to tell.

Well, at least Sakurai tried making him a fighter instead of denying him because of the costume like everyone assumed.
It's like someone said on the status posts; Mii costumes are less of a deconfirmation themselves, and more of an indication that plans fell through or weren't considered for specific characters.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Mii costumes are less of a deconfirmation themselves, and more of an indication that plans fell through or weren't considered for specific characters.
Eh, I'm not sure when exactly Sakurai had these struggles making Rex a fighter. I think Steve and Sephiroth were the only FP2 fighters with plans made as early as 2018, since Sakurai said "one or two might suffice" and we know they were being negotiated for years.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Eh, I'm not sure when exactly Sakurai had these struggles making Rex a fighter. I think Steve and Sephiroth were the only FP2 fighters with plans made as early as 2018, since Sakurai said "one or two might suffice" and we know they were being negotiated for years.
From the way it sounds, Sephiroth actually wasn't that hard to negotiate with him potentially even being a relatively cheap addition. Minecraft may have been more diffculty to implement (less animation work, but apparently reprogramming the pre existing stages for some reason. Not sure why it wasn't make more like Pikmin pulling).

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
I've been thinking about how Rex could be :ultchrom:'d for the next Smash (If we get one).

One option would be to use Rex in his Master Driver csotume with Pneuma. One also use Blade Nia and Roc.

Arthur97

Smash Master
If he's stuck as a semi-clone (full echo of them doesn't really work as some of their animations don't really fit him and the down smash might need changing entirely along with the specials, but he fortunately has four arts ready to use), I doubt he'll use other blades. Other than Pyra and Mythra showing up, and he may use the already spoiled by the DLC pack board option for his final smash. Or just go chain attack like Shulk. They did seem to take care to keep Rex in the picture, so they'd probably do the reverse keeping Pyra and Mythra around for his stuff too.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Saw that. Seems a bit suspect that even as a passive roll, they caused too many issues. That said, not sure if he just said Pyra cause it was easier, or Mythra really wasn't in the running then.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
For the Pokemon Trainer part, he said his #1 reason for not doing it was that he didn't think fans would want it... I always imagined Rex fighting with Pyra in the back being able to switch to Mythra, but the way Sakurai worded it makes it sound like it was just the two. Even so, do you guys agree with that statement?

Arthur97

Smash Master
For the Pokemon Trainer part, he said his #1 reason for not doing it was that he didn't think fans would want it... I always imagined Rex fighting with Pyra in the back being able to switch to Mythra, but the way Sakurai worded it makes it sound like it was just the two. Even so, do you guys agree with that statement?
Wait, where was that? I didn't see anything about fans not wanting anything. Sounded more like he opted for the girls over just Rex. I guess that is more unique, but still...plus, now that they're in, I doubt they'll completely rework them next time even with the hardware to add him. Especially if they won't even give Ganondorf the rework he deserves.

Sigh Poor guy.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'm personally willing to believe Sakurai's word that making Rex and Pyra a duo fighter was a problem, seeing how 8 player Ice Climbers matches already turn the game into a slideshow, and I do kinda struggle to see how they'd implement the Blade system in a fun manner that's true to the source material without the ether beams being visually distracting.

Also glad the duo route didn't happen because his wording implies that Mythra wasn't considered.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm personally willing to believe Sakurai's word that making Rex and Pyra a duo fighter was a problem, seeing how 8 player Ice Climbers matches already turn the game into a slideshow, and I do kinda struggle to see how they'd implement the Blade system in a fun manner that's true to the source material without the ether beams being visually distracting.

Also glad the duo route didn't happen because his wording implies that Mythra wasn't considered.
his wording suggests solo rex wasnt considered

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
Well, solo Rex would be a weird choice, given blades are such a core part of the game. If they couldn't make a driver/blade combo character work, I can see why they'd go with just the blade. Like, without them Rex just doesn't have much to make him stand out from any other swordfighter. At least with solo Pyra and Mythra we have a swap mechanic to make them more interesting.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, solo Rex would be a weird choice, given blades are such a core part of the game. If they couldn't make a driver/blade combo character work, I can see why they'd go with just the blade. Like, without them Rex just doesn't have much to make him stand out from any other swordfighter. At least with solo Pyra and Mythra we have a swap mechanic to make them more interesting.
no weirder than the ice climbers being a duo

D

Deleted member

Given how :ultlucas: borrowed Duster's Rope Snake from Mother 3 for his grabs and tether recovery in Smash, it wouldn't sound too far-fetched that :ultpyra:/:ultmythra: would borrow Rex's anchor for their grabs and tether recovery either when you think about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Okay, finally saw the full column, and, yeah, that seems a bit odd that he thought fans wouldn't want those systems considering the latter was pretty much what the game was. Perhaps they were biased against Rex. Though, he may have also been screwed by the apparent desire to not just have another part of the roster or whatever. Nevermind Banjo and Kazooie.

Last edited:

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
Given how :ultlucas: borrowed Duster's Rope Snake from Mother 3 for his grabs and tether recovery in Smash, it wouldn't sound too far-fetched that :ultpyra:/:ultmythra: would borrow Rex's anchor for their grabs and tether recovery either when you think about it.
Well, they're already looking to be really strong characters, to the point a lot of people consider them broken. Having a weak recovery to balance things out some is probably for the best.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Okay, finally saw the full column, and, yeah, that seems a bit odd that he thought fans wouldn't want those systems considering the latter was pretty much what the game was. Perhaps they were biased against Rex. Though, he may have also been screwed by the apparent desire to not just have another part of the roster or whatever. Nevermind Banjo and Kazooie.
nah it was defiantly bias in favour of pyra/mythra

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Completed the game yesterday, it was a great experience, but overall I think the remake of the first game was a bit stronger.

Not that XB2 is a bad game, I just disliked how all of the sudden you had to rely on field skills of your Blades to progress in the story, and this gimmick was poorly explained in the game, same with the battle gimmicks. I still don't know how to do proper combos, I don't get the battle system like I should. And especially in the beginning, I found the AI of enemies extremely meddlesome. And what's up with the part where you have to visit Fonsett Village and those monsters are there purely to block your path, and nothing else.

But overall, a great and solid game, looking forward to play Torna soon after this.

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
Torna fixes up a lot of quality of life issues the base game had. Just wish they'd have updated such things in XC2 as well.

There's definitely still room for improvement when we get a remake a console generation or two down the line. Like making field skills not require the blade to be in your party so you can skip all the shuffling around to meet the skill check only to swap them back right after. And having more, better, and better timed tutorials and the option to review them freely would really help people learn the combat system.

Arthur97

Smash Master
You hit the nail on the head. It's no secret that he's not exactly popular as a protagonist, and didn't have a guaranteed inclusion like :ultcorrin:. Sak had no issues making fun of him in the girls' stream.
Sigh, this can really kind of sour the experience. Though, I'm not sure if one joke constitutes hating him. On one hand, he has potentially a better model than some fighters and they did make sure he's present, but on the other hand, yeah, the column looks kinda bad. Maybe if it had been a base game fighter and they weren't obsessed with "uniqueness."

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sigh, this really turned into a monkey's paw, didn't it? Kind of sours the experience. Though, I'm not sure if one joke constitutes hating him. On one hand, he has potentially a better model than some fighters and they did make sure he's present, but on the other hand, yeah, the column looks bad. Maybe if it had been a base game fighter and they weren't obsessed with "uniqueness."
yeah it is pretty sour, but im not sure pyra/mythra are that unique

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Well more unique than solo rex. I at least found it interesting that they originally went for the tagteam system we speculated about. And only technical limitations prevented it.....

So .... many speculate that the next smash is a reboot of the series ..... with many reworked movesets .... so maybe ..... ?

Actually I am a little bit conflicted about that. I really enjoy Pyra/Mythra .... but the XV2 System in Smash would also be cool .......

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yeah, that's the thing, they don't have a super stand out gimmick. Like I said before, nothing wrong with a more basic moveset, but if that's going to be your reasoning...only to pretty much reuse gimmicks....

Speculation is one thing. Why would they reboot the series? Why would you throw away what you have, only to just bring a lot of it back? Unless their goal is to eliminate a lot of the Nintendo stuff to actually fit their marketing of "gaming" but what interest would Nintendo have in actively removing their own content?

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
One thing they could do if they wanted to add Rex in Smash 6 while keeping Pyra and Mythra a separate fighter would be to have him use other blades. Roc would probably be an easy pick. Maybe Catalyst if they don't care about spoiling Xenoblade Chronicles 2 by that time.

Of course, there's no guarantee he'll be in 6. We'd probably only get one new Xeno rep unless we're lucky, and KOS-MOS and Elma are both pretty wanted from games with no rep, not to mention Xenoblade 3 might be out by that point. But nothing is impossible.

Arthur97

Smash Master
A theoretical Xenosaga rep shouldn't really influence a Xenoblade Chronicles rep (there is still no hard evidence that these are the same franchise, like, you know, an official statement), and that's if one is even likely considering it's pretty much a dead third party series as far as new games go and would you rather advertise a dead series, or one you own and are actively looking to expand? Elma is so far removed at this point that she seems even less likely. A 3 is probably the big threat other than the sheer unwillingness to rework veterans. That's another thing that helped Chrom is that there wasn't a new non-remake out in time, plus, he was easy to do. Course, the thing is, I think Rex was the most requested Xenoblade rep.

Rex using any other weapon though seems...weird.

Last edited:
Top Bottom