• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

Arthur97

Smash Master
a poor grasp of the fandom perhaps?
Well, sad part is, Rex kind of has plenty of haters, though, not sure how many of those are actually fans. Or if they're even the majority for that matter. Like I said, Rex was fairly well requested it seems. Maybe Sakurai thought he knew better and they really just wanted the girls, and, yeah, some may have been just that, but still. Unless he's talking about Smash fans in general which...he still seemed fairly requested in general. And, how many of the ones that outright hate him wanted anything from XC2?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, sad part is, Rex kind of has plenty of haters, though, not sure how many of those are actually fans. Or if they're even the majority for that matter. Like I said, Rex was fairly well requested it seems. Maybe Sakurai thought he knew better and they really just wanted the girls, and, yeah, some may have been just that, but still.
Well sakurai did seem pretty selective when it came to which popular characters to include even before Rex

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Don't forget Brighid fought (and was defeating) Rex, Pyra, Nia, and Dromarch, while Morag was on another titan.
I honestly really don't get the hoops of logic people are trying to jump through with this idea of Pyra/Mythra being some inaccurate representation made for the sake of excluding Rex like conspiracy theorists seem to yell.

I mean, IIRC, there's quite literally a scene where Pyra takes on Malos mano e mano anyway.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I only really wanted Rex because he'd hypothetically come with Pyra/Mythra. I actually do like Rex and think he's dunked on too much, but really he was only a gateway for my true wanted dream characters in Smash.

Ever since the Torna DLC it was an absolute dream scenario to get the Aegis girls by themselves for me personally, and I'm stunned it actually happened. I do like Rex, I really do, but Sakurai 100% hit the nail on the head with this for me. I would not have wanted the girls to be relegated to some background Pokemon trainer esque situation, which in itself seems like it wouldn't have worked well due to technical issues, and I'm not even gonna pretend to truly understand the ins and outs of tech stuff pretending I know better than Sakurai.

Rex is a good character. He might not have made it as a fighter but he's really prominently shown in taunts, final smashes, and victory screens. Sakurai absolutely didn't need to have him appear that much, but he did. It does suck for those who wanted him as an actual character but there isn't some grand conspiracy (jokes aside) to dunk on him.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I honestly really don't get the hoops of logic people are trying to jump through with this idea of Pyra/Mythra being some inaccurate representation made for the sake of excluding Rex like conspiracy theorists seem to yell.

I mean, IIRF, there's literally a scene where Pyra takes on Malos mano e mano anyway.
well al theyre an accurate representation of themselves and thats about it but thats all smash characters are ever meant to be. there's no conspiracy sure but from sakurai's own words pyra/mythra were his priority and he never even considered solo rex

Arthur97

Smash Master
I mean, no one has yet to explain the not thinking fans wanted it comment.

I mean, IIRF, there's literally a scene where Pyra takes on Malos mano e mano anyway.
It wasn't going to be a great representation either way of the plot points if they couldn't use Rex and at least one of them, but it is definitely a poor representation of gameplay. Like I said, exception, not the rule. Just because it's possible, doesn't mean it was common. Donkey Kong can punch moons out of orbit, doesn't mean he does it often. It was going to be imperfect either way, but having you fight as the ones that don't do most of the fighting? That's somehow an even worse representation of 2. That part isn't really a conspiracy, but Sakurai's logic about wanting DLC to stand out doesn't really stick either. There have been fighters in the DLC packs that would be pretty at home in the base roster. Ironically, Pyra and Mythra might be among them. Not like switching fighters on the fly hasn't been done before. So that excuse doesn't really hold up all that well, and saying the fans wouldn't have wanted it? What's his proof they wouldn't? Does he know better what the people asking for him want than they do?

If it really were technical issues, fine, it's crappy, but fine. Stuff happens, and while I don't think the logic holds up great, sure if they thought switching fighters was that much more interesting than solo Rex. But that one comment raises the question of why he really got snubbed. If you can debunk it, feel free. Is the translation bad? If it is, let me know.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Joker and Byleth aren't very accurate representations of their source games either, yet I hardly see anyone complaining about that. Sometimes you gotta make due with a concept that's more fun and intuitive for a fighting game and Sakurai clearly thought that a stance change character was much more interesting.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Joker and Byleth aren't very accurate representations of their source games either, yet I hardly see anyone complaining about that. Sometimes you gotta make due with a concept that's more fun and intuitive for a fighting game and Sakurai clearly thought that a stance change character was much more interesting.
Well actually in the joker thread there were some guys who complaint about that. And that Byleth got an quite uninspired moveset just went under in the roaring storm that was „Another FE Swordsman!!!!1111“.

Nevertheless, Sakurai came to the conclusion that the tag-team, affinity-proximity based system that would be required to incorporate XC2 gameplay into smash is to taxing on the engine. And I hope we all agree that the current moveset fits Pyra/Mythra as a character.

For the gameplay-archetyp there may be still hope for in the character of Akira Howard from Astral Chain.... if in the next consol they fix the power problem ....

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
make due? i believe the phrase is make do

anyway the trouble i have with the interesting argument is that interesting is subjective and should not be used as an excuse. sure there are people who think switching between these two is interesting but there are those of us who would have thought solo rex was more interesting. so we cant make due, not only cause its not a phrase but because whats intuitive and interesting is subjective. you could make the most unique fighter in the world but there will always be someone who find its uninteresting.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice

anyway the trouble i have with the interesting argument is that interesting is subjective and should not be used as an excuse. sure there are people who think switching between these two is interesting but there are those of us who would have thought solo rex was more interesting. so we cant make due, not only cause its not a phrase but because whats intuitive and interesting is subjective. you could make the most unique fighter in the world but there will always be someone who find its uninteresting.
Just curious - what is it that would make Solo Rex (Without Pyra or any other blade) interesting? From the moveset I imagine it to be quite similiar to Shulk (-monado arts and + grappling hook of course) or other longswordies. Or is it the character itself?

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

You have no right to correct me with your abysmal sentence structure and inconsistent punctuation.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
The Byleths have a fine moveset. Nothing super special, but it's unique and gets the job done while also incorporating different FE weapon types at least (and a good chunk of the sword moves are done in whip form). There's nothing wrong with it, it's the idea that Sakurai wants DLC to stand out while not standing by his own words. Pyra and Mythra...aren't actually that flashy. Relatively standards specials (as in, unique, but nothing super special) and a switch mechanic that has not only been done before, but between more unique fighters. Even Foresight is a modified version of a pre-existing mechanic. Solo Rex really wouldn't have something super flashy, but Pyra and Mythra aren't exactly bringing much new and special to the table.

If you think Rex would have been "just another swordie" then why don't you think Pyra and Mythra are also just more swordies? Again, other than being arguably poorly balanced between the two of them, they have a moveset unique to them, but it isn't anything super special. Shouldn't have to be, but if you think the Byleths are just swordies, why aren't Pyra and Mythra? IF anything, don't they have potentially more derivative moves if you take the animation flare out of it? Still a unique moveset that hadn't been done before (combination matters), but if you're going to argue they are so much better than Rex would have been...eh.... Who is to say that Rex wouldn't have had different moves? He potentially could have even achieved mostly the same gimmicks by switching between them and using their abilities (including Foresight) with the added perk of the anchor. As background characters, they wouldn't have had to actually do anything, and you could have largely had the same result.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Just curious - what is it that would make Solo Rex (Without Pyra or any other blade) interesting? From the moveset I imagine it to be quite similiar to Shulk (-monado arts and + grappling hook of course) or other longswordies. Or is it the character itself?
Well no he wouldn’t be like shulk, he wouldn’t have the self buffing arts. He could have been a single character switching between new movesets. And yes he’s a far more interesting character, those two I find are near the bottom of the list with nearly all bar two of the other main characters below them

You have no right to correct me with your abysmal sentence structure and inconsistent punctuation.
I wasnt correcting your sentence structure I was correcting a phrase and pointing out a flaw in your logic. And a hostile response like that does not reflect well on you at all

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The Byleths have a fine moveset. Nothing flashy, but it's unique and gets the job done while also incorporating different FE weapon types at least (and a good chunk of the sword moves are done in whip form). There's nothing wrong with it, it's the idea that Sakurai wants DLC to stand out while not standing by his own words. Pyra and Mythra...aren't actually that flashy. Relatively standards specials (as in, unique, but nothing super special) and a switch mechanic that has not only been done before, but between more unique fighters. Even Foresight is a modified version of a pre-existing mechanic. Solo Rex really wouldn't have something super flashy, but Pyra and Mythra aren't exactly bringing much new and special to the table.

If you think Rex would have been "just another swordie" then why don't you think Pyra and Mythra are also just more swordies? Again, other than being arguably poorly balanced between the two of them, they have a moveset unique to them, but it isn't anything super special. Shouldn't have to be, but if you think the Byleths are just swordies, why aren't Pyra and Mythra? IF anything, don't they have potentially more derivative moves if you take the animation flare out of it? Still a unique moveset that hadn't been done before (combination matters), but if you're going to argue they are so much better than Rex would have been...eh.... Who is to say that Rex wouldn't have had different moves? He potentially could have even achieved mostly the same gimmicks by switching between them and using their abilities (including Foresight) with the added perk of the anchor. As background characters, they wouldn't have had to actually do anything, and you could have largely had the same result.
If Sakurai had to stick by every little thing he's said we would never have gotten Villager or Ridley.

Arthur97

Smash Master
If Sakurai had to stick by every little thing he's said we would never have gotten Villager or Ridley.
But he just said this in his apparently most recent column. It's not like I'm dredging up quotes from a decade ago. He said this, in regards to this DLC. Saying he wanted the DLC to stand out, only to have given DLC (this game) that doesn't really stand out, when talking about DLC that also isn't that special. His own statement does not seem to fit his actions.

Last edited:

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
well al theyre an accurate representation of themselves and thats about it but thats all smash characters are ever meant to be. there's no conspiracy sure but from sakurai's own words pyra/mythra were his priority and he never even considered solo rex
...but Sakurai said that the Smash Bros Ultimate team tried to program Rex and Pyra/Mythra but that didn't work out from a technical perspective.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
The Byleths have a fine moveset. Nothing flashy, but it's unique and gets the job done while also incorporating different FE weapon types at least (and a good chunk of the sword moves are done in whip form). There's nothing wrong with it, it's the idea that Sakurai wants DLC to stand out while not standing by his own words.
Lets just agree to disagree on this particular topic.

Well Pyra/Mythra are unique from other swordies because of the swap mechanic. Technically Rex could have the same moveset but then it makes much more sense to have Pyra/Mythra as stance swapping chars where everyone can see directly and clearly on the character which stance they are in, then having rex with Pyra/Mythra in the background indicating which stance Rex is in. That would be quite weird if multiple Rexes were in the game. Rex would only work with Pyra as a tagteam character - a moveset which clearly would be cool - but seems to be to difficult to include.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
But how would that work? He uses blades to battle. Pyra/Mythra are special blades that can function without the use of a driver.
Simple either the blades are off screen helping him like duck hunt duo or he just happens to have some one else’s powers like ness and Lucas

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Rex could've easily used the moveset Pyra/Mythra have right down to switching Blades between them and been implemented fine, even with concessions like them not appearing in 8-man Smash a la Pokemon Trainer. Rex's role in the battle entry animation, taunts and final smash could've been filled by them instead. We've already seen characters use moves they shouldn't or behave in ways they wouldn't just to be implemented into Smash. For ~whatever reason~ Sakurai saw reducing Pyra/Mythra's prominence as a worse sin then reducing the main character's prominence, regardless of moveset concerns.

Pyra and Mythra, for ~whatever reason~ also have high quality statues, tons of fan art and generally a better reception with fans and non-fans. I can't possibly imagine why, or why they have jiggle physics mods and nude mods (no link for this one) fully implemented within a month of release. Just what did Sakurai think fans saw in them that they didn't see in Rex? Who knows. Who knows.

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, you could easily argue Pyra/Mythra are more the main character(s?) than Rex. Yes, Rex is the main playable portagonist, but his connection to the story and relevance to the plot are far less signficant. Like, he's just some good guy who gets caught along for the ride and helps Pyra get to Elysium. Other than implications he's descended from Addam, there's not much special about him in particular. Not without the Aegis.

And the voice acting doesn't exactly do him any favors either.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
To be honest, you could easily argue Pyra/Mythra are more the main character(s?) than Rex. Yes, Rex is the main playable portagonist, but his connection to the story and relevance to the plot are far less signficant. Like, he's just some good guy who gets caught along for the ride and helps Pyra get to Elysium. Other than implications he's descended from Addam, there's not much special about him in particular.
Not to sound rude, but you DO realise that there's literally an ENTIRE CHAPTER where Pyra just... isn't there, right? And it gives significant attention to Rex?

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
Not to sound rude, but you DO realise that there's literally an ENTIRE CHAPTER where Pyra just... isn't there, right? And it gives significant attention to Rex?
Sure, but like, what actually happens? He has a brief crisis of faith, then decides he wants to protect them... Like he already has since he met them in the first place. Not exactly groundbreaking character development.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Rex could've easily used the moveset Pyra/Mythra have right down to switching Blades between them and been implemented fine, even with concessions like them not appearing in 8-man Smash a la Pokemon Trainer. Rex's role in the battle entry animation, taunts and final smash could've been filled by them instead. We've already seen characters use moves they shouldn't or behave in ways they wouldn't just to be implemented into Smash. For ~whatever reason~ Sakurai saw reducing Pyra/Mythra's prominence as a worse sin then reducing the main character's prominence, regardless of moveset concerns.

Pyra and Mythra, for ~whatever reason~ also have high quality statues, tons of fan art and generally a better reception with fans and non-fans. I can't possibly imagine why, or why they have jiggle physics mods and nude mods (no link for this one) fully implemented within a month of release. Just what did Sakurai think fans saw in them that they didn't see in Rex? Who knows. Who knows.
this person gets it

To be honest, you could easily argue Pyra/Mythra are more the main character(s?) than Rex. Yes, Rex is the main playable portagonist, but his connection to the story and relevance to the plot are far less signficant. Like, he's just some good guy who gets caught along for the ride and helps Pyra get to Elysium. Other than implications he's descended from Addam, there's not much special about him in particular. Not without the Aegis.

And the voice acting doesn't exactly do him any favors either.
thats not what a main character is. the main character is the character from which the story is told via their perspective. those two are what you would call a driving force of the game like a sentient triforce.

lay off the actor he needed something to do between playing a gay priest on tv

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That chapter gave more attention to Nia, if anything.

Sure, but like, what actually happens? He has a brief crisis of faith, then decides he wants to protect them... Like he already has since he met them in the first place. Not exactly groundbreaking character development.
That's a bit of an oversimplication, to be fair. He learns that he needs to do more than just protect them, but also understand and support them on an emotional level. Pneuma is probably the only part of the Aegis that can't be accessed without a true Driver bond, so in that sense Mythra's statement on the matter can actually still apply to her. But that level of power is also really excessive in most cases, so it's not too surprising it doesn't come up in the relatively friendly Smash battles.

Rex's role in the story is bringing out the best in everyone around him, whom are almost all more experienced or more powerful than he is. His development is learning how to be even better at this than he currently is, moreso than his combat prowess.

Last edited:

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Rex could've easily used the moveset Pyra/Mythra have right down to switching Blades between them and been implemented fine, even with concessions like them not appearing in 8-man Smash a la Pokemon Trainer. Rex's role in the battle entry animation, taunts and final smash could've been filled by them instead. We've already seen characters use moves they shouldn't or behave in ways they wouldn't just to be implemented into Smash.
They could do that but then Pyra/Mythra as playable char makes 100 times more sense. It is much clearer when the whole char changes to indicates the stance then just the weapon. Also the stance change comes from switching blades ... to not even show them does not make much sense.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
They could do that but then Pyra/Mythra as playable char makes 100 times more sense. It is much clearer when the whole char changes to indicates the stance then just the weapon. Also the stance change comes from switching blades ... to not even show them does not make much sense.
youre suggesting smash make sense? smash the game where characters can use moves of other characters? the game where a duck hunting dog is bffs with one of said ducks? the game where kirby has a mix of different copy abilities? the game where no pokemon has their type immunities? the game where mario collects coins out of thin air and can use fire balls without a fire flower? the game where olimar can pluck pikmin out of anywhere? the game where zelda has moves loosely based on spells she never had from a different game to 3 out of 4 of her appearances? the game where zero suit samus has rocket boots not seen in a metrois game? the game where the ice climbers have ice powers? the game where the inklings can stay in water for some time? the game where daisy uses moves mostly from games she was not in? the game where byleth has access to weapons he should not be able to have at the same time? where min min can freely switch between arms mid battle? where pac man can use his arch enemies as weapons? where megaman's weapons have unlimited use?

sense doesnt matter in smash

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
thats not what a main character is. the main character is the character from which the story is told via their perspective. those two are what you would call a driving force of the game like a sentient triforce.
If you want to define it that way. But my point is, you're making it out as if the main protagonist is the only logical choice for a fighter and Pyra/Mythra were unimportant characters just chosen for being attractive, which is definitely not true. They're a very reasonable choice for a Xenoblade 2 rep as well.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If you want to define it that way. But my point is, you're making it out as if the main protagonist is the only logical choice for a fighter and Pyra/Mythra were unimportant characters just chosen for being attractive, which is definitely not true. They're a very reasonable choice for a Xenoblade 2 rep as well.
I never said anything about being illogical choices, in fact if look at my last post I’m arguing that smash is illogical, but the fact is sakurai never explained why Rex couldn’t have been solo so it’s hard not for us to think it was cause he preferred them when he already has a record of going for things he preferred

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
youre suggesting smash make sense? smash the game where characters can use moves of other characters? the game where a duck hunting dog is bffs with one of said ducks? the game where kirby has a mix of different copy abilities? the game where no pokemon has their type immunities? the game where mario collects coins out of thin air and can use fire balls without a fire flower? the game where olimar can pluck pikmin out of anywhere? the game where zelda has moves loosely based on spells she never had from a different game to 3 out of 4 of her appearances? the game where zero suit samus has rocket boots not seen in a metrois game? the game where the ice climbers have ice powers? the game where the inklings can stay in water for some time? the game where daisy uses moves mostly from games she was not in? the game where byleth has access to weapons he should not be able to have at the same time? where min min can freely switch between arms mid battle? where pac man can use his arch enemies as weapons? where megaman's weapons have unlimited use?

sense doesnt matter in smash
It makes sense from a game design perspective yes. Having a full character change appearance makes the stance much easier to see which stance the Character is in then only changing the weapon or some background character (which would need to be deactivated in 8 player anyways) which makes the information flow to the player and opponent much clearer and therefore the game much more enjoyable.

Also the stance change fits quite naturally to their character - because this is quite literal what they do. Which is also why most people speculating about solo aegis can up with such kind of concepts. While Rex would fit much more to a tagteam style of gameplay with pyra (or others) as his blade(s). Unfortunately that was not possible.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It makes sense from a game design perspective yes. Having a full character change appearance makes the stance much easier to see which stance the Character is in then only changing the weapon or some background character (which would need to be deactivated in 8 player anyways) which makes the information flow to the player and opponent much clearer and therefore the game much more enjoyable.

Also the stance change fits quite naturally to their character - because this is quite literal what they do. Which is also why most people speculating about solo aegis can up with such kind of concepts. While Rex would fit much more to a tagteam style of gameplay with pyra (or others) as his blade(s). Unfortunately that was not possible.
So what you’re saying that people wouldn’t be able to notice that Rex changed his sword and would be far more confusing than say pyra and mythra swapping colours or another character who is just a pallet swap of another?

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Pyra and Mythra, for ~whatever reason~ also have high quality statues, tons of fan art and generally a better reception with fans and non-fans.
I know what you're getting at, but actually speaking seriously on the subject, there is a lot of argument to be made that Pyra and Mythra are stronger characters in writing than Rex. Not to knock the boy down a peg, I think he's fine, but there is legit substantial evidence if you wanted to make a case that they're just as much the protagonist as Rex is.

And yeah, iffy voice acting aside, Rex doesn't really have as much character progression. Again, not a knock against the boy, you don't always need that to be the main protag, but he's not at a level that I'd call him the sole main protag that represents the game all the best.

It's kind of like Spring Man in ARMS. The characters themselves aren't necessarily "weak or terrible", they're just at a level where they're not the iconic sole main protagonist one might think they are.

For that reason, people might gravitate more towards Pyra and Mythra as the main protagonists. As for Sakurai, well, maybe he saw more potential with them as the fighters and it's not like he just threw Rex to the wayside either.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I know what you're getting at, but actually speaking seriously on the subject, there is a lot of argument to be made that Pyra and Mythra are stronger characters in writing than Rex. Not to knock the boy down a peg, I think he's fine, but there is legit substantial evidence if you wanted to make a case that they're just as much the protagonist as Rex is.

And yeah, iffy voice acting aside, Rex doesn't really have as much character progression. Again, not a knock against the boy, you don't always need that to be the main protag, but he's not at a level that I'd call him the sole main protag that represents the game all the best.

It's kind of like Spring Man in ARMS. The characters themselves aren't necessarily "weak or terrible", they're just at a level where they're not the iconic sole main protagonist one might think they are.

For that reason, people might gravitate more towards Pyra and Mythra as the main protagonists. As for Sakurai, well, maybe he saw more potential with them as the fighters and it's not like he just threw Rex to the wayside either.
but we dont know that any of that is the reason sakurai included them

What is that logic anyway? Are you saying sakurai though Rex was a weak character in terms of development and that’s why he left him out?

Last edited:
Top Bottom