• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

Arthur97

Smash Master
I don't think it's that complicated. Obviously they'd have to resolve the artwork issue before the game goes gold so Monolith Soft know about it and Smash well in advance. Their options are let someone else fix the art work, fix it in-house or let it get cut. They picked the second option and sent it off. That's everything relating to Smash Bros done - their talks with Sakurai are over.

Everything after that point though? Purely Monolith Soft acting on their own.
"Hey, we should add it to the game proper as a tie-in! We can already do costumes."
"Yeah, we'll have the NPC in XB2 that gives it to you make tons of Smash references!"
"And we can make the Torna NPC that gives it to you dance like beloved gaming icon Tatsu, as a hint to who the Xenoblade character in Fighter Pass 2 will be in 3 or so years!"

Make it, ship it, soak up more of the Smash attention and curb the inevitable censorship complaints (Xenoblade X got hit with so many that Takahashi had to explain in an interview that he didn't mind the changes, so they definitely know how people feel about it).
And ironically people still complain.

That's fair. Though I imagine they still had to get the green light even if they were acting alone. That doesn't have to mean anything, just that they got permission to slip in an extra bit of content.

And, wait, people think a Tatsu dance means something? Granted, this is the community that thought a purple chair was apparently some sort of sign or something. Some may have unironically claimed that too.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Any watchers of Chuggaaconroy in this thread?
This dropped a few days ago.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Any watchers of Chuggaaconroy in this thread?
This dropped a few days ago.

That's one hell of a way to announce it.
I'm not really into ecelebs so I most likely won't watch this but I've heard some people say they got introduced to the first game through this guy. Hope he can also get some people to check out the sequel too.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Okay...seems like an excessively grandiose way to announce something so...unremarkable as a let's play. Still, why would it take so long? Also, why should we care?

I.D.

Smash Lord
Okay...seems like an excessively grandiose way to announce something so...unremarkable as a let's play. Still, why would it take so long? Also, why should we care?
It's just a fun, silly thing to bring up, Shulk got revealed for Smash 4 just a few weeks after he started his let's play of the original Xenoblade. Maybe history will repeat itself.

zacian

Smash Apprentice
It's just a fun, silly thing to bring up, Shulk got revealed for Smash 4 just a few weeks after he started his let's play of the original Xenoblade. Maybe history will repeat itself.
Wait his lets play of 1 came out in 2014?? I thought it started later

KillerCage

Smash Master
Weird I thought it started in like 2015

well I guess this is kinda good for Rex then
To be fair, his LP has 119 episodes (his longest to date) and he had to pause for quite a while due to a nasty ear infection.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I just realized that Poppi would be perfect for the Sans/Cuphead Mii Gunner treatment.

xenoblade poppi costume.jpg

• Normal size
  • Fights using guns/machines
  • Face is usually blank or slightly smiling outside of a few cutscenes
  • Important character
  • More popular than Tora (plus a Tora costume would be pretty much impossible)
Even if there can't be a special Sans-like head for it, a Poppi costume just makes a ton of sense.

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I have a feeling they wouldn't put Rex right after Min Min, so I'm not counting on seeing him as FP7 tomorrow. But hey, I wouldn't mind being proven wrong Mr Sakurai ;)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
its gonna be a FE character isnt it?
No, quit your paranoia. There's no reason to think we'll get another rep. Not even FE Heroes since its fans would already be familiar with the ones we got.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Even if Rex doesn't get revealed tomorrow then I think he still has a good chance for the rest of the pass (unless the character turns out to be Elma).

Also since the thread got bumped I'm just gonna post my full list of Xenoblade Mii Costumes that would be good to release alongside Rex:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2:

:ultgunner: - Poppi
:ultswordfighter: - Morag
:ultswordfighter: - Zeke

Torna:

:ultbrawler: - Lora
:ultswordfighter: - Jin

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition:

:ultswordfighter: - Melia

Haven't played X so I don't know which characters from there would make good costumes.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Sakurai would have an opportunity to wish Monolith happy birthday, for what it's worth.

View attachment 287510
Hmmm-ing intensifies...

Seriously though, if it's a first-party character, it's gotta be either Rex or a Pokemon character. They make the most sense in terms of both fan demand and relevancy to recent titles. Though I have a gut feeling it will be a third-party pick this time.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
i lost all hope for everything ages ago
You remind me of a young lad (Me) when he thought that all hope and faith for King K. Rool was lost.

You'll never get your character with that attitude. You gotta stay optimistic no matter what. Take note from the Geno fans who are still rooting for their favorite wooden puppet. ;)

Last edited:

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
Rex / any Xenoblade rep still has a very good shot if we get another Nintendo character in this pass, if not the frontrunner option IMO. And since Chugga's LP (which has been awesome BTW) will probably last a good while, there's still more than enough time...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You remind me of a young lad (Me) when he thought that all hope and faith for King K. Rool was lost.

You'll never get your character with that attitude. You gotta stay optimistic no matter what. Take note from the Geno fans who are still rooting for their favorite wooden puppet. ;)
i was think of scottish independence when i wrote that

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
Back from the dead to say I'm praying with all my heart for Rex to join the fight! Reading some replies above gives me some hope, such as Monolith's 20th anniversary is on the same day. Min Min gave me such huge hope, especially after Sakurai's initial comments specifically about ARMS and XB2.

Let's go Rex!

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Dropped by to say that I support (and have for a while). I haven’t gotten that far into XB2 (Emile’s almost if not already caught up to me), but I knew from before his deconfirmation for Pass 1 he should be DLC. I think his deconfirmation still stands, but would love to be proven wrong tomorrow!

Let’s show em a thing or three!

andree123

Smash Ace
It is kind of strange that Gamexplain talking about a Xenoblade 2 rep once without mentioning Rex and the other characters that first appeared in this game at all.
That might be due to their NDA but we will figure out in tomorrow.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
It is kind of strange that Gamexplain talking about a Xenoblade 2 rep once without mentioning Rex and the other characters that first appeared in this game at all.
That might be due to their NDA but we will figure out in tomorrow.
That is odd but why would they have any advanced knowledge? Not a lawyer so I'm not familiar with the details on NDAs.

In terms of Rex's chances, though, I'm still cautiously optimistic. He's definitely one of the more likely first-party candidates, alongside a Pokemon Sword/Shield rep or an Age of Calamity/BOTW 2 rep. He's just in such a weird spot with his Mii Costume... Why would they give us that if they were planning to add him as a fighter later? Was the second pass not planned when they made the costume? There is a precedent of Mii Costumes being upgraded into fighters, but never in the same game. But Rex still excels in fan both Japanese and Western fan polls, especially when they cover just Nintendo newcomers. And Nintendo loves their cross-promotion, but since XC1 already has a fighter, why not just add Rex? Or Elma, if a port of X is indeed in the works? It's all super hard to make a judgment call on. The most important thing, I think, is that if Rex doesn't show up tomorrow, he's not out of the running. Hype responsibly!

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
It doesn't make sense that GameXplain would know enough to warrant an NDA, or anything for that matter.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Less than 1 hour! Hoping we get Rex but if not today then that's alright. Unless today's reveal ends up being a different Xeno character then we still have the rest of the pass.

D

Deleted member

Talks for Steve appear to have been going on for 3 years, which is pretty crazy. Not sure what this means for Rex. I do think the door was left open for him what with only 3 music tracks and no online profile pic in case the team wants to give him a go, but it really comes down to whether or not Nintendo wants it. I could see them pushing Xenoblade since it is an up and coming franchise and Rex is popular in Japan, but there are probably higher priorities for Ninty.

Steve was clearly meant to be the big E3 headliner; we'll just have to wait and see what the next couple characters are to see if we'll be getting more 3rd parties than not. If I had to guess I'd say Monster Hunter is a near surefire bet as CP9, Crash as another highly likely pick, with CP11 likely being a promotional pick for a 1st party game we might not even know exists yet given the reasoning behind Corrin and Byleth. That leaves 1 slot as a wild card. For first parties I could see a Zelda rep, Bandana Dee, Rex, or a new Pokemon, and for other 3rd parties I'm guessing Travis, SMT V protag/Demi-fiend, or a Square rep. If Rex is showing up I think his best bet is as CP8 sometime around February or March.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Well it makes sense that they dont do two first party reps back to back. I always thought that if Rex&Pyra will get in, its for slot 3 or 4.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Talks for Steve appear to have been going on for 3 years, which is pretty crazy. Not sure what this means for Rex. I do think the door was left open for him what with only 3 music tracks and no online profile pic in case the team wants to give him a go, but it really comes down to whether or not Nintendo wants it. I could see them pushing Xenoblade since it is an up and coming franchise and Rex is popular in Japan, but there are probably higher priorities for Ninty.

Steve was clearly meant to be the big E3 headliner; we'll just have to wait and see what the next couple characters are to see if we'll be getting more 3rd parties than not. If I had to guess I'd say Monster Hunter is a near surefire bet as CP9, Crash as another highly likely pick, with CP11 likely being a promotional pick for a 1st party game we might not even know exists yet given the reasoning behind Corrin and Byleth. That leaves 1 slot as a wild card. For first parties I could see a Zelda rep, Bandana Dee, Rex, or a new Pokemon, and for other 3rd parties I'm guessing Travis, SMT V protag/Demi-fiend, or a Square rep. If Rex is showing up I think his best bet is as CP8 sometime around February or March.
Yeah, Rex didn't show up here, but he's by no means out of the running. If there's at least one more first-party pick on this pass, Rex is one of the more likely candidates.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Well it makes sense that they dont do two first party reps back to back. I always thought that if Rex&Pyra will get in, its for slot 3 or 4.
You...know this is a Nintendo game, right? They aren't obligated to put any more third parties (unless they signed some weird contract).

Top Bottom