• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

Arthur97

Smash Master
You may have a point in regards to relevancy, but he is kind of on a time clock. If he doesn't make it now, the next game will probably come out before the next Smash game and take priority. Add that to their preference for third parties (I don't think that's seriously going to change), and being old may actually become a hurdle.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I just hope that XC2 releasing in Dec 2017 isn't the sole reason it potentially missed out, because that would be really sad. Here's hoping Sakurai adds them like he wanted to and the costume can join the ranks of K Rool and Chrom outfits.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
So I'm under the impression that Rex just wasn't on that document Nintendo created. I just can't understand Sakurai stating he wanted Rex in, but ignoring him for the first pass. Rather it makes sense that Nintendo would be looking to the future rather than the present. I can only hope that if that is the case that Sakurai has more freedom in his selections this next batch. I still have hope for Rex making it, but as of now I don't see him as guaranteed as I once did.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
So, in a more optimistic tone, if he does make it in, do you think he'll get his own victory jingle? Unlike a lot of other series, XC lacks a cohesive theme, so I could see him getting a different one.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So, in a more optimistic tone, if he does make it in, do you think he'll get his own victory jingle? Unlike a lot of other series, XC lacks a cohesive theme, so I could see him getting a different one.
Definitely the theme that plays when you defeat a boss. That sounds just about made for a victory theme in Smash!

Arthur97

Smash Master
I...honestly don't even remember that theme.

I'd also take some Roaming the Wastes and Counterattack.

Not sure about a stage though. That's something that I struggled coming up with. Hopefully something a little more interesting would be nice. Ultimate's new stages aren't the most amazing.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I...honestly don't even remember that theme.

I'd also take some Roaming the Wastes and Counterattack.

Not sure about a stage though. That's something that I struggled coming up with. Hopefully something a little more interesting would be nice. Ultimate's new stages aren't the most amazing.
This one:

As for the Stage, I'd say Garfont. That's basically one of the more important locations of the game without delving too deep into spoiler territory.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Could be, but I'd also like something that travels to show off the world. Not sure what the means of travel would be. Maybe Azurda would be neat.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
Both Hunting Succeeded and Battle!! sound appropriate for a victory theme, I personally like Counterattack the most but I'm contemplating what part the track would fit the victory screen.

As for stages, I think Olethro Ruins would be a pretty cool location. It's quite significant for the story too, and it wouldn't be spoiling anything. Though I feel like there's a lot of cool locations to choose from.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
For stages I think Leftherian Archipelago would be the best choice. It has a ton of islands to fight on and we get a full view of both the Cloud Sea and the World Tree. Gormott is a close runnerup but I feel it's way too similar to Gaur Plains.

I personally like Counterattack the most but I'm contemplating what part the track would fit the victory screen.
I was actually thinking about this the other day and I feel the part from 4:19 - 4:26 on this upload of the track could work. I think the simple upbeat jingle from Hunting Succeeded would suit Rex better though.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I really don't want Gormott, great area but I feel like it'd just along the lines of Gaur Plains 2: Electric Boogaloo. I'd actually fancy the Argentum Trade Guild with all sorts of walkways and ships around.

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
I've thought a lot about a potential Olethro Playhouse stage considering the iconic showdown that occurs there + how appropriate a place it'd be for a new Drifting Soul arrangement. Another candidate is a moving Mor Ardain stage where you ride the Alba Cavanich railcars. But in the end I'd be okay with anywhere besides, like...Temperantia, lol.

Also, nice going dude.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
The Playhouse could work. Maybe they could even fit in some of the story/rare blades as hazards to spice it up ala Unova.

I concur with not wanting Gormott if just because I kind of got tired of that place early on. Plus, yeah, best not to fall in with Donkey Kong syndrome of mostly (I say mostly since Rumble Falls did have a sky portion) on type of setting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I've been thinking... The truth is that it's impossible to tell exactly when development for any game starts, so it's pointless to try comparing to stuff like release dates.

Byleth may be a Greninja-type scenario where the character was made with being pushed for Smash in mind, and Nintendo just beat Monolith to the punch in trying to sell him/her to Sakurai. And by the time Monolith tried to sell Rex or Sakurai saw XB2, it was already too far along, like how Kojima tried to ask for Snake in Melee.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I've been thinking... The truth is that it's impossible to tell exactly when development for any game starts, so it's pointless to try comparing to stuff like release dates.

Byleth may be a Greninja-type scenario where the character was made with being pushed for Smash in mind, and Nintendo just beat Monolith to the punch in trying to sell him/her to Sakurai. And by the time Monolith tried to sell Rex or Sakurai saw XB2, it was already too far along, like how Kojima tried to ask for Snake in Melee.
greninja wasnt "made" for smash that is not the way pokemon do things

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I 100% believe Rex is in this second pass. Sakurai highlighted his Mii Costume saying he wanted to put him in, but didn’t have the time (although he had time for Byleth somehow..).

And that was before they decided to go ahead with more DLC. There is no way he’s not getting in. Especially with XC1 getting remastered for Switch.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Well, going off the current climate, I'm not sure how well Rex would be received either (not that this affects his chances at this point). Sure, he's not Fire Emblem, but he is a sword user, "anime," and first party. Even if his moveset is very unique (apparently there are people who legitimately think Ike isn't original, I don't like Ike, but come on), or even if he uses other weapons, people love to focus on the sword apparently.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'm uncertain about Rex's chances now. I will say this, Xenoblade Definitive Edition is coming out this year and there is a possibility, as small as it might be, that a Xeno character might be included to Smash in order to promote that game. I hope Rex does make it to Ultimate as DLC because if he doesn't then it's possible he's gonna miss the Smash train forever.

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
Well, going off the current climate, I'm not sure how well Rex would be received either (not that this affects his chances at this point). Sure, he's not Fire Emblem, but he is a sword user, "anime," and first party. Even if his moveset is very unique (apparently there are people who legitimately think Ike isn't original, I don't like Ike, but come on), or even if he uses other weapons, people love to focus on the sword apparently.
Doesn't matter to Sakurai and the fans of the series/character. Rex and Byleth were my two top most wanted characters and despite the hate I am so hyped and happy Byleth got it. If Rex gets in I will be beyond excited. I don't care what those complaining think.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I've thought a lot about a potential Olethro Playhouse stage considering the iconic showdown that occurs there + how appropriate a place it'd be for a new Drifting Soul arrangement. Another candidate is a moving Mor Ardain stage where you ride the Alba Cavanich railcars. But in the end I'd be okay with anywhere besides, like...Temperantia, lol.

Also, nice going dude.
It's a rather conflicting feeling for me since I really wanted Byleth but Rex getting shafted stings quite a bit.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Unless he pulls a Chrom which I didn't think too likely...however, the Byleths might actually boost his chances of doing just that.
Doesn't matter to Sakurai and the fans of the series/character. Rex and Byleth were my two top most wanted characters and despite the hate I am so hyped and happy Byleth got it. If Rex gets in I will be beyond excited. I don't care what those complaining think.
Well, to some extent it seems to matter or we probably wouldn't have gotten Ridley and King K. Rool, but their focus seems to be shifting more and more outside of Nintendo. I also hate seeing people hate of the first parties wanting more third parties. Especially if they complain about anime and/or sword users before and/or after asking for Sora or Dante. That, and how little people seem to actually look at movesets. Like, anyone thinking the Byleths are clones is just...well, not sure what they are, but it's simply not true. These kinds of things can lead to the impression that people would still be salty over Rex no matter how different his moves were (as he's most definitely going to use a sword if he gets in). Though, seeing as so many seem to mainly focus on gimmicks to make fighters unique (DK is unique, where's his gimmick?), blade switching might help out here. Though, the sword fighter argument is horrible anyway. Where are the complaints about too many fighters punching? Again, it isn't the end of the world, but I'm afraid this may end up affecting future decision making. Then again, this is not really the first time this has happened though I don't remember if it was quite this bad last time.

However, like I said, he may still even have hope next time if the XC2 being too new, but TH not being too new thing can garner up some support like how poorly Chrom was treated in Smash 4 (I think I read that Rex did start trending after the reveal, so maybe that's a start). Let's just hope it doesn't result in him being an echo. Or, you know, that we don't have to wait that long.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
A Chrom situation where Sakurai revisits the character might happen if Rex receives a massive amount of support from fans. But unfortunately the second fighters pass has already been decided so fan demand can only be helpful when it comes to Smash 6, and Smash 6 is uncharted territory. We don't know if Sakurai would still be directing Smash and if Xenoblade has a new game by then.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yes, this is only if they either do more after this pass or for the next game, but it doesn't have to be Sakurai for that to happen. If there is an influx of support, it should do him well. So, if he doesn't make it, we should want him done as dirty as possible I guess to drum up more support.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm uncertain about Rex's chances now. I will say this, Xenoblade Definitive Edition is coming out this year and there is a possibility, as small as it might be, that a Xeno character might be included to Smash in order to promote that game. I hope Rex does make it to Ultimate as DLC because if he doesn't then it's possible he's gonna miss the Smash train forever.
Did we have to worry about this kind of thing for Super Mario Galaxy? Or Spirit Tracks? Or the four-year old Xenoblade 1? Or City Folk?

The only series that even remotely worry about this kind of thing are Pokemon and Fire Emblem with their colossal rosters of unpredictable popularity.

Arthur97

Smash Master
It's a bit uncharted for DLC here. Historically (yes, I know it can change), DLC falls mostly into one of three categories: Veterans (Not applicable for Ultimate unless maybe they give us something like a OoT Link echo which I would actually be in favor of), Third parties (We've seen plenty of em), and essentially ads. Now, you may be wondering about Plant, but the evidence is there to suggest Plant was mostly a late addition. There seems to be some thought process going on at Nintendo that it either needs to be third party or currently relevant to sell. Now, the pass might change that, but it didn't seem to this time. I imagine the first fighter of pass 2 will be some third party (probably not happening, but Geno might do the trick) or maybe more to get people to buy it. At least, maybe if they planned for this kind of reaction. However, after they get plenty of people to buy it, it could theoretically be "safer" to pick some other choices. Such as Rex.

Edit: Spirit Tracks? It has a stage, but Toon Link is more Wind Waker.

Last edited:

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure that if Rex is in the second pass, some people are gonna complain "anime swordfighter," and honestly I can't care less. And he won't receive negative backlash like Byleth did, that's mostly because FE representation was already a sore spot in the Smash community and it has far less to do with him being first party or a swordfighter (he actually uses other weapons too, and this aspect didn't help prevent people's negative reactions at all).

There being 6 fighters in the next pass makes me think there could be a bonus fighter like the plant, and I'm hoping it would be Rex in that spot. I think it would be fitting too.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It's a bit uncharted for DLC here. Historically (yes, I know it can change), DLC falls mostly into one of three categories: Veterans (Not applicable for Ultimate unless maybe they give us something like a OoT Link echo which I would actually be in favor of), Third parties (We've seen plenty of em), and essentially ads. Now, you may be wondering about Plant, but the evidence is there to suggest Plant was mostly a late addition. There seems to be some thought process going on at Nintendo that it either needs to be third party or currently relevant to sell. Now, the pass might change that, but it didn't seem to this time. I imagine the first fighter of pass 2 will be some third party (probably not happening, but Geno might do the trick) or maybe more to get people to buy it. At least, maybe if they planned for this kind of reaction. However, after they get plenty of people to buy it, it could theoretically be "safer" to pick some other choices. Such as Rex.

Edit: Spirit Tracks? It has a stage, but Toon Link is more Wind Waker.
Tell that to Toon Link driving the train when not playing as him on the stage.

It's OK, I'm used to seeing playable rep tunnel vision.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I'm sure that if Rex is in the second pass, some people are gonna complain "anime swordfighter," and honestly I can't care less. And he won't receive negative backlash like Byleth did, that's mostly because FE representation was already a sore spot in the Smash community and it has far less to do with him being first party or a swordfighter (he actually uses other weapons too, and this aspect didn't help prevent people's negative reactions at all).

There being 6 fighters in the next pass makes me think there could be a bonus fighter like the plant, and I'm hoping it would be Rex in that spot. I think it would be fitting too.
I mean, people still complain about the sword thing even though they took great care to make sure it wasn't just swords. Sure, it wouldn't be as bad, and I'm more than willing to put up with it. I hope the devs are not so easily deterred.

Him as the sixth would be nice (though I hope that doesn't make him last).
Tell that to Toon Link driving the train when not playing as him on the stage.

It's OK, I'm used to seeing playable rep tunnel vision.
Doesn't normal Link also make that Link go away (Young Link might too, I don't know)? No, it's Wind Waker Link (also the same Link from Phantom Hourglass). He has the Master Sword, the literal Wind Waker, the Hookshot, and pigs in two out of three victory animations.

Last edited:

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
well fortunately we won't have any ads to worry about in the near future (unless Nintendo is hiding something big for E3). We know Sakurai wanted to add Rex in the base game, but we also know Sakurai/Nintendo loves marketing Fire Emblem (and for whatever reason Fire Emblem takes precedence over everything else). Now that Fire Emblem is out of the way, we really only have to worry about fan favorites and third party reps (and the inevitable "placeholder pokemon" pick). I'm going to choose to have faith that our boi is getting in; I just hope its sooner rather than later.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
I mean, people still complain about the sword thing even though they took great care to make sure it wasn't just swords. Sure, it wouldn't be as bad, and I'm more than willing to put up with it. I hope the devs are not so easily deterred.

Him as the sixth would be nice (though I hope that doesn't make him last).
The thing is that people will always complain. People complained about Hero and Terry too for example, and even with the more popular DLC additions not everyone is going to be happy. Bottomline is, a bunch of random people complaining about swords isn't going to deter them from putting in a character. Fire Emblem has been complained about a lot more, and look at what just happened.

And if there's a bonus fighter like PP, I imagine they would come first like the Plant did too.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Like I said, I don't think Plant was intended as DLC (has an unique guidance conversation, it was free for a time, and its Amiibo came out pretty early when Joker's isn't even announced). That would probably be why it was first. It's also one of my favorite DLC fighters. Banjo and Kazooie might beat it.

It's all speculation, but I doubt they'd start it off with Rex. They need to sell the pass after all.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I still believe a Xeno rep is coming, but there's a number of people who could fit the bill. KOS-MOS as a general Xeno character repping both Saga and 2, Elma repping X, Rex and Pyra, maybe even a Torna duo like Lora/Jin or Addam/Mythra.

Let's remember how positively Sakurai talked of 2:
"Sakurai praises the game's sprawling world, unique story and rich soundtrack. He thinks the map's use of high and low terrain and its variety of areas makes it great for an open world game.... From a developer's perspective, he considers Xenoblade 2 a considerable achievement."

https://twitter.com/AllSourceGaming/status/956883334327447552

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I don't think a Torna rep is all that likely (or, I hope not at least). It's a relatively small side game. While I hate people lumping Xeno games together, KOS-MOS might not be too unlikely (seriously, though, who owns those games at this point since they did use two of them as easter eggs), but...I don't think she'd be a good rep for XC2 as like I said, she was an easter egg (and not even the real one). Elma would probably be the biggest competition, but that game...well, it's not my favorite. It is even older though, and less widely praised and played. Rex also comes with the benefit of getting three for the price of one with Pyra and Mythra almost certainly joining him. Though, uh, Pyra might also get an outfit adjustment, but I'd be willing to take it. Let's face, people might be more wanting those two than Rex anyway.

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I don't think a Torna rep is all that likely. It's a relatively small side game. While I hate people lumping Xeno games together, KOS-MOS might not be too unlikely (seriously, though, who owns those games at this point since they did use two of them as easter eggs), but...I don't think she'd be a good rep for XC2 as like I said, she was an easter egg (and not even the real one). Elma would probably be the biggest competition, but that game...well, it's not my favorite. It is even older though, and less widely praised and played. Rex also comes with the benefit of getting three for the price of one with Pyra and Mythra almost certainly joining him. Though, uh, Pyra might also get an outfit adjustment, but I'd be willing to take it. Let's face, people might be more wanting those two than Rex anyway.
Looking at it completely objectively I think Rex and P/M are the best XC2 reps possible, I'm just speculating on who else Sakurai would pick if he found making them the DLC costume invalid for Pass 2.

Top Bottom