• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Any deconfirm theory is no longer valid, because they never planned more then the first fighters pass before launch. So literally everyone has a chance now.
Maybe not everyone - I feel like it's safe to rule out characters that are assist trophies or stage hazards, or ones that aren't from video games.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Maybe not everyone - I feel like it's safe to rule out characters that are assist trophies or stage hazards, or ones that aren't from video games.
Well ok yes ofc only video game characters. But I think all others have a shot.

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
I guess Rex is confirmed now as a fighter lol. No excuses.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Which is even more evidence that they are more than simply stat multiplier. I thought you wanted them to act as Monado Arts stand in?

Thats why I said maybe Mythra as an alt custome ) most dlc fighters got these. But I dont believe in Nia beeing added. I would actually like it 8even more as her own character) but all evidence we have point against it.
What I said about Rex was that his stuff was similar to Shulk’s Monado arts, being able to select what blades he could use though his nuetral-b. The blade mechanic in xenoblade 2 was barely anything similar to a persona in persona 5. Personas were summonable but not necessary. Rex and Mythra/Pyra on the other hand were connected pretty closely in a literal way, when was one hurt, the one felt his/her damage. Plus, blades in xenoblade 2 were not temporary present in battle except for Mythra’s/Pyra’s special mode and Zeke’s and Pandora’s special mode.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah with more dlc coming thats a clear win for rex to be upgraded. Sakurai outrogjt said if Rex was sooner he would have been in the base.

Make him work a s a tag team with Pyra and he would be quite dofferent enough from Shulk. Use the expansions battle system where you tag between the master and blade as who is main fighting. Jist have Rex and pyra jump from the background to the main stage woth down b.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Yeah with more dlc coming thats a clear win for rex to be upgraded. Sakurai outrogjt said if Rex was sooner he would have been in the base.

Make him work a s a tag team with Pyra and he would be quite dofferent enough from Shulk. Use the expansions battle system where you tag between the master and blade as who is main fighting. Jist have Rex and pyra jump from the background to the main stage woth down b.
You mean like in Torna? That is even an better idea. Just what weapon would Rex wield when in the background? Or would he do his dancing moves like when you use one of the blade art in XC2ß

GolisoPower

Smash Master
You mean like in Torna? That is even an better idea. Just what weapon would Rex wield when in the background? Or would he do his dancing moves like when you use one of the blade art in XC2ß
Maybe he could use the greatsword that he had when you fight that Krabble.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Id like to imagine that when they swap places they throw the weapon to the other. So Rex would fight with the blade with pyra sendimg energy, and then when he leaps back he tosses it to pyra, and he cheers while she fights. You could even have them have an attack as they jump in making it a pretty safe swap.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Xenoblade 2 is a pretty okay game...

Yeah, count me in as a Rex supporter. He's literally the only character that I want in the game at this point. I also think that things are looking great for his inclusion, especially with the announcement of Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition coming next year. Sure, he's not from that game, but it seems like Nintendo is really trying to push the series and Sakurai wanted to make Rex work as a fighter but couldn't due to time constraints.

R-senpai

Smash Cadet
Xenoblade 2 is a pretty okay game...

Yeah, count me in as a Rex supporter. He's literally the only character that I want in the game at this point. I also think that things are looking great for his inclusion, especially with the announcement of Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition coming next year. Sure, he's not from that game, but it seems like Nintendo is really trying to push the series and Sakurai wanted to make Rex work as a fighter but couldn't due to time constraints.
I think that the unveil of a "new" Xenoblade project boosted his chances dramatically. As you said, Sakurai event wanted him in the game, but couldn't because of time constraints. I don't like Rex that much, but I hope he gets in for the fans to be happy, and to finally get another XC rep.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I think that the unveil of a "new" Xenoblade project boosted his chances dramatically. As you said, Sakurai event wanted him in the game, but couldn't because of time constraints. I don't like Rex that much, but I hope he gets in for the fans to be happy, and to finally get another XC rep.
I really want Rex in the game because I know that he’ll be a great, unique fighter just from his game’s blade gimmick.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
He seems like a fun concept, honestly.
I imagine him as a Pokémon trainer kind of character, except he switches his blades with his neutral-b and it takes a relative amount of time to switch back to his blade.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
He seems like a fun concept, honestly.
They’d absolutely be unique. I imagine Pyra/Mythra being like Arsene, except they’d be constantly out. Unlike Arsene, I imagine them having an Affinity Gauge: the more damage you deal, the higher your Affinity goes, and the higher your stats. Of course, you can spend Affinity on Blade Specials, and Pyra and Mythra would have separate stats. Pyra would make Rex closer to Ganondorf with slow attacks yet amazing burst damage while Mythra would have lower damage output but would be much faster and have a higher combo game.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I imagine him as a Pokémon trainer kind of character, except he switches his blades with his neutral-b and it takes a relative amount of time to switch back to his blade.
I think blade switching makes more sense being assigned to his down-B. Neutral-B could have Rex use Pyra/Mythra's blade arts with said arts being determined by his current affinity level with them.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I think blade switching makes more sense being assigned to his down-B. Neutral-B could have Rex use Pyra/Mythra's blade arts with said arts being determined by his current affinity level with them.
That’ll make Kirby’s neutral-b absolutely useless.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
How would you guys feel about this:

Pyra/Mythra stay close to Rex in battle similar to the Ice Climbers for additional stats/power... but if Pyra/Mythra gets KO'd, Rex dies too. It'd tie into the game since they're life-linked to him and one of the main things Rex tries to do is prove that he can protect his blade. Of course they'd have great recovery options and maybe even the ability to warp to Rex after a while. In other words, you'd have to take really bad care of them for them to get killed and thus lose as Rex.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
I was actually working on a homestage for rex when the dlc pass first was announced. Were stopping it when it became clear that all dlc fighters would be 3rd Party. But know I think I will continue to work on that. Will upload a few pictures soon.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
How would you guys feel about this:

Pyra/Mythra stay close to Rex in battle similar to the Ice Climbers for additional stats/power... but if Pyra/Mythra gets KO'd, Rex dies too. It'd tie into the game since they're life-linked to him and one of the main things Rex tries to do is prove that he can protect his blade. Of course they'd have great recovery options and maybe even the ability to warp to Rex after a while. In other words, you'd have to take really bad care of them for them to get killed and thus lose as Rex.
I don’t think that mechanic is necessary when Rex is likely as tall as Shulk and doesn’t have ice climber gimmicks. It’s more likely they will play the keep away game to implement this idea, but that doesn’t sound practical for this game.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
It’s good to be back, let’s hope our boy and girl join the fray next year.

I have a very good feeling considering we know Sakurai almost included him. The costume has fresh assets that could be used on his character model in-game.

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
I was so focused on the fact that most of the fighters i want got massively increased chances, i forgot that Rex & Pyra were back on the table.
Easily some of my most wanted fighters, count me in as a supporter!

I especially think his chances are good with both of course with Xenoblade definitive edition, but also what sakurai said about wanting to bring in "New game worlds". what that's implying if you ask me, is that all the new fighters could be from franchises that already have fighters, so long they star in a specific game not represented yet.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I was so focused on the fact that most of the fighters i want got massively increased chances, i forgot that Rex & Pyra were back on the table.
Easily some of my most wanted fighters, count me in as a supporter!

I especially think his chances are good with both of course with Xenoblade definitive edition, but also what sakurai said about wanting to bring in "New game worlds". what that's implying if you ask me, is that all the new fighters could be from franchises that already have fighters, so long they star in a specific game not represented yet.
You just may be right on that last point.

The stars have aligned for the Driver and Blade. They were much better than before.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
And if you all have not done so already, follow #OperationElysium.

It is a growing movement that literally petitions for Rex to be a fighter. Give them a follow on Twitter or spread the word. You will not regret it.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
And if you all have not done so already, follow #OperationElysium.

It is a growing movement that literally petitions for Rex to be a fighter. Give them a follow on Twitter or spread the word. You will not regret it.
I second this. A lot of big faces support this movement, Savajin, DigiDriver, SpaceScot, Splateen, Zee, and so forth.

A lot of Rex's fans on twitter are fired up and think he has a chance. This could be our finest hour.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
If his neutral b was blade specials then his neutral b would be pretty good.
No, because he would need a link to activate those specials, which was why they required an mp meter to use Hero’s neutral special. It’s why I encouraged to have the blades to be neutral special instead, so Kirby wouldn’t have to require two buttons to work properly as a Rex copy.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
One of the things I've been thinking about is what Kirby's Copy Ability would look like. And to that I'd say, it depends. If Rex has a Driver Art for his Neutral B, then give Kirby Rex's hair and helmet. If Rex's Neutral B directly involved Pyra/Mythra, like Blade Specials, then give Kirby the green V-shaped crown-thing that's seen on them both.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
One of the things I've been thinking about is what Kirby's Copy Ability would look like. And to that I'd say, it depends. If Rex has a Driver Art for his Neutral B, then give Kirby Rex's hair and helmet. If Rex's Neutral B directly involved Pyra/Mythra, like Blade Specials, then give Kirby the green V-shaped crown-thing that's seen on them both.
Kirby might have a sword that changes depending on the neutral special.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
With a new wave of DLC comes a new hope. Count me in as a supporter. I started playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 a few months ago and I love it.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Nice to see this thread active again. I really want Rex, Xenoblade 2 is my (second) favorite game on the Switch. I wouldn't necessarily play him if he made it, but a XC2 stage and a Xenoblade music expansion would be a dream for me

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I'm sorry guys, but DLC most certainly going to continue being third-party only. I do predict that first-party characters will be added in a Deluxe version of the game for Nintendo's next platform. If that were the case, him, Byleth, Akira, and a Sword/Shield Pokemon character would all be locks. Maybe an Arms character too.

Super Bario

Smash Cadet
I'm sorry guys, but DLC most certainly going to continue being third-party only. I do predict that first-party characters will be added in a Deluxe version of the game for Nintendo's next platform. If that were the case, him, Byleth, Akira, and a Sword/Shield Pokemon character would all be locks. Maybe an Arms character too.
It may be a little too early to say anything for sure. The first fighters pass have all been third-party characters up until now, but different rules may apply to this next wave of DLC. It very well could only be third-party characters again, but it could also be a mix bag of first and third party. There’s no way to know how things well work in this new season.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Edelgard instead of Byleth and ... whos akira?

But I am also more optimistic because Nintendo know that their fanbase want First Party characters too, after all the nintendo chars are the reason why most of us came to smash bros in the first place. Sure they made a third party pack to bring fresh blood into the series but at some point they need to please their core fanbase too. And they know that beeing in smash is really good advertisment for a series (just look at FE, Kid Icarus etc) and pushes sales ..... so if they want to support their upcoming series like arms, xenoblade, splatoon and fire emblem so they bring numbers like zelda or mario they need all power they can get.

I also think that one of the reasons why they went with an "all-third-party" pack is because people were a little bit bored by the self-advertisment done in the past. But in my opinion these feelings are almost gone by now and will be even more when Challenger Pack 5 is another fan favorit like Doomguy, Tracer, Rayman etc. So this is perfect time to bring up the new Nintendo series people seem to like a lot (considering the sales number of XC 2, Three Houses, Splatoon 1/2 etc)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
what is your basis for thinking that?

That is the Astral Chain protagonist.
technically akira is the deutagonist

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
That is the Astral Chain protagonist.
Ah. Not yet played that. Actually .... couldnt Akira&Legion be like echo fighters to Rex&Pyra? I mean from their trailers they seem to work similiar.

Also some better known Youtuber made a Smash Bros DLC most wanted survey. From what I understand everyone can take part (just put in your internet-name without discord id into first line. So everyone go and support our boy&girl ^^

https://twitter.com/New_WabiSabi/status/1169860651700772864

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Ah. Not yet played that. Actually .... couldnt Akira&Legion be like echo fighters to Rex&Pyra? I mean from their trailers they seem to work similiar.
Not really.

Legions can be directly controlled in Astral Chain while Blades cannot. (I mean, you can in Torna, but we’re talking base game here.)

Additionally, Blades have passive effects and Special attacks. While Legions do have special attacks, only two can be used at a time. Additionally, the Legion’s Chain can be used to the player’s advantage (wrapping enemies in it to stun them with Chain Bind, slinging them back with Chain Counter) while Affinity is more akin to a power-up.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Well Smash Chars are mostly played according how they feel instead how they actually play in their games. Just look to joker - his mechanics fit his fantasy but not at all how personas work in the game.

And considering that Rex&Pyra do the tag-team attacks in all their cutscenes i am willing to bet a lot of money that they will also fighting that way in smash (if they were ever to be included.)

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
So if Rex somehow did make it in what would his stage and 8 songs be (not counting the 3 songs already in Ultimate)?

For his stage I'd go with Leftheria since it'd be a great way to show off the Cloud Sea and maybe some of the other titans far in the background.

For his songs:
I made a list myself a while back, but I couldn't contain it to just 5, 8, or even 10.. I think I did 15. Many of them were battle themes cuz a number of the battle themes are great for the smash setting.

As I recall, mine was broken into 4 area themes, 6 battle themes, and 5 cinematic themes...

- Gormott (day)
- Mor Ardain (day)
- Tantal (day)
- Yggdrasil (probably remix)

- Incoming!
- Monster Surprised You
- You Will Recall Our Names
- Bringer of Chaos
- Giga Rosa
- Power of Jin

- Counterattack
- Crossing Swords
- Irritation (probably remix)
- Over the Sinful Entreaty (probably remix)
- The Decision (probably remix)

Naturally.. there's many many many more songs I love but I didn't put them in my list either because even though they are great it's hard to imagine them being remixed "hard" enough to fit a fighting game since they're more mood pieces, or they're maybe spoilery or less often heard. Not to mention, I originally made the list to be 10 but I'd already outgrown my self imposed list size so I didn't want it to get too out of hand.

Anyways, as a for instance, Walking with You is one of my favorite songs in the whole game but it's hard to imagine it as a stage theme. Likewise, the main theme's most "big" version is probably Yggdrasil, but the sounds of the main theme's melody should be in the mix somehow. Also, of the semi-spoilery songs.. the final battle theme "After Hope and Despair", which.. damn that piano and the mood of that piece would certainly be epic... but I passed on it since it's end game and heard once. Like I said, songs that should be picked should at least be recognizable as having happened a few times in the game. That said.. not sure I exactly followed my own rules and kinda just went with my gut on most of them under the restriction that I wasn't just gonna start listing them all~

I used to have a playlist of this stuff on Youtube.. but half of it disappeared when Mixz Highwind took down their channel due to pressure from Nintendo.

Edit: Also, want to add...

Uraya theme is beautiful and I'd love a remix just as an excuse to get it in there. Leftheria is also beautiful and would fit as a more subdued theme for a stage or they could try to remix that too. Oh, and more Torna themes would be sweet. I made my list a while back before I beat Torna. The battle theme is very nice but also I love the Torna themes.. tho they are more meandering and less dynamic in the way of a theme good for Smashing to. But I really liked the area music in Torna, yeah.

Last edited:
Top Bottom