• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Revolutionizing Yoshi: Parrying (aka supershielding) NEW VID!!

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: LOL my Melee Yoshi is 2222 ugly

For all the things I do wrong and slow in this game, the only thing I do TOO FAST is Yoshi DJC ROOOOOFL

I may be getting some matches up soon, though, as I'm back in my native Smash homeland for a few years now. :D

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
parry update: definitely having some succes with it against human players, parry grabbing a ganons fair, jumpparrying jiggs bairs and falco's lasers it all happened :D (parry on projectiles looks so smooth)

I was wondering does anyone have some issues with shorthopping out of it? :O it seems because you have to full shield I need more power in that finger and my jumpfinger automatically fullhops as well :O

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: You should definitely focus on the basics first.

Mind Trick, if you're going for aerial counters out of supershield, I would just suggest DJCing, as it's much easier to do on reaction than short hopping. If you're not close enough to hit with a quick DJC, then a wavedash out is probably better, but short hopping out can be really really tough.

If you can get it down on your own though, then more power to you!

yoshiiscool

Smash Journeyman
I dunno if I said this before, but I find it a hell of a lot easier to supershield with the opposite trigger I use for everything else. I use R for everything, never ever press L unless I'm trying to supershield, maybe it's just my right hand isn't quick enough to register all of that stuff goin on. For wavedashing, and DJCing it makes things a hell of a lot easier, because you can supershield with the opposite trigger, then just DJC/wavedash comfortably, without worrying to click the same trigger again in quick succession. This is just stuff that works for me, but when I do it, I find it easy as **** to pull off supershielding into cool lookin stuff. Only problem is I still suck *** at timing it to parry stuff, oh well.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Here's a cool ssb64 Yoshi vid displaying all the parries (done by me) and some combos (some of them done by me) and other advanced techs. I know it's not melee but it might give you a better idea of how to use parry, since it's essentially the same in both games.

Might also give you some other ideas. Anyway here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTpZY7WN4Uo&fmt=22

Zinayzen

Smash Apprentice
Why can you only up smash out of a parry? Not, for example, an fsmash or dsmash?

And god, these are hard. It's really hard when you can't really practice them. Unless I misunderstood, you can't tell when you do it right because it won't show up?

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
Why can you only up smash out of a parry? Not, for example, an fsmash or dsmash?

And god, these are hard. It's really hard when you can't really practice them. Unless I misunderstood, you can't tell when you do it right because it won't show up?
If you do it right, you will hear the sound of your shield popping up (if your volume is high enough), but you won't see it appear.

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
Here's a hint to practice parry if someone needs more practice.
Have a buddy spam mewtwo's shadowball (uncharged), then duck under and attempt a parry > jump or DJC or whatever. The shadowball stays in the sweetspot above yoshi for a longer time than most other projectiles so it helps to get the timing down and get more confidence to parry faster projectiles and approaches.

Also, it'll help your mewtwo matchup if you ever have the privilege to play against competent mewtwo's like Taj.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Same reason you can only up smash out of shield with any other character. It's just the game mechanics.

I wonder if you can up b out of parry? lol

Pi

Smash Hero
Basically when you press R/L with yoshi, on the very next frame he is invulnerable.
This invulnerability lasts for 7 frames before the egg is shown
The powershield window comes out on frame 3
So you have 2 frames of pure invulnerability, then your -shield- comes out, but is not shown for another 4 frames

Now for the good stuff;
Once you press the shield button, you have a 5 frame window to jump out of your shielding animation

There is no shieldhitstun, your opponent is hitting an invincible opponent, he will be stuck in hitlag, you're movement is unhindered, but long story short, you have a 5 frame window to first get hit by the attack, then jump after it. Because as soon as you jump you are vulnerable.

You need to negate their attack with your invincibility (have it hit you while you are invincible), then you are free to counter with anything you can do out of a jump

not sure if all this was already known but there it is

SheerMadness

Smash Master
So I see more people are seeing the light about parrying?

I think most of you were pretty skeptical at the start of this thread.

Remember to parry (input shield) every time you jump, even when you're not intentionally trying to parry anything.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Technically you input shield a split second before you jump but it's all in the same motion. The "split second" probably makes it sound a lot harder than it is.

Turn off the music then turn up the volume and you'll hear the shield noise when you jump if you're doing it right.

yoshiiscool

Smash Journeyman
The inputs are like wavedashing with fox, except in reverse order. Rather than l/r after jump, it's l/r before jump. That's how I thought of it when I first started to do it, at least, and it's a pretty good comparison on the timing needed.

darkgirku

Smash Journeyman
lol yeah, thats exactly how i thought of it too. reverse wavedashing.

Thanks for showing us the light sheer! =D

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Makes sense. How quickly do you have to grab/up-smash if you want to cancel your jump into them? Is it just 5 frames like usual, since he's airborne on the 6th frame?

yoshiiscool

Smash Journeyman
You don't actually have to jump before the grab, you just abuse the parry's lack of stun to grab, and the u-smash is like a typical JCu-smash. Everything you do after jumping out of the parry is just like from a regular jump, since that's pretty much all it is in the first place. :p

Maybe this is confusing you, but the actual act of parrying does not include the jump afterward, it's just using the initial 6 or so frames of Yoshi's shield that have no stun when hit, and it just so happens, you can cancel these frames with a jump. In other words, you don't need to jump to parry something... it's just that the jump out is pretty much the whole reason you'd bother to use it, as there's no good way to make use of our frame advantage otherwise.

Also, humans don't have a fast enough reaction time to confirm a parry, and jump accordingly within the time constraints. So if you're going to parry, it's like a commitment, and rather than having a choice of what to do after, you're pretty much settled on what you decided to do while parrying. This is another reason jump outs are so good, because they give you (albeit not much) a smaller window of time to think about the best course of action as far as punishing is concerned, as opposed to auto grab/u-smash. Just adding a little extra insight for people to read/discuss on. >.> I'm bored people.

Depster

Smash Champion
I just finally got it down today. Instead of just reading the first post I started reading all of them for help and found where somebody said on page 2 or 3 to hard shield, press shield slightly before jump, and to turn sound up and music down to hear the shield. Once I finally read that stuff, it was cake after that. I can inconsistently do amazing things now!

PS. I'm much more of a brawl player, but I really want to improve at melee too, which is why I'm here. But, you don't suppose parrying is in brawl too, do you?

BanYoshi2015

Smash Rookie
Because you do have to full shield some people find it easier to hold one of the triggers when you plug your controller in (I believe this is what aMSa does) so that on that particular trigger light shield won't work at all (so you won't accidentally light shield before you mean to)

Hikori

Smash Rookie
For most situations r is my shield and l is my wave land/wave dash button.
By sheer accident Used L for shielding my super shielding and found my framework for the technique tighter than with R. This MIGHT be because I'm used to light shielding with R, and because of trying to keep my movement tight I learned hit L quickly, but whatever the reason L seems to let me do it right.

turnerq

Banned via Warnings
Hey guys,
So after a long time i believe that i have the execution for the melee yoshi supershield pretty consistent. I can get it out (the 6 or whatever frames of invinvibility) and then DJC nair or uair, and usually it will hit my opponent and what not.
What im having trouble with is WHEN to use it. Most good players wont tell you when exactly theyre going to attack, and they will dashdance and stuff to mix their offense up.
My main question is this: Should i try to predict my opponents attacks, or should i react to them? Both just seem very inconsistent to me, and seem dangerous should you mistime a little. Thanks guys this thread is awesome!

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
To effectively apply parrying, you'll want to bait them into thinking it's safe to attack you. If your opponent knows you're waiting to parry, they will mix up their timing or use a move other than the one you're expecting.

Top Bottom