• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Release Dates Confirmed!! NA: 11/21/14 EU: 12/05/14 JP: 12/06/14

Tails1000

Smash Cadet
Its weird to say but I won't be getting this game on launch day, even though I've been looking forward to it for over a year now.
Pokemon also comes out that day, and its a remake of my favorite generation... I'm going to be playing the absolute crap out of it and won't have any time at all for smash.
I'm gunna go on my smash high come Christmas time, if I do buy it launch day it's just gunna stay under my tree while I'm spamming pokemon :p

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
Nintendo of Europe just announced the game will be released December 5th.

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/519442027600433153

Two months between each version seems like enough time for me.

EDIT: Japan will get it a day later, December 6th.
you know that december 6th in japan is december 5th in america, right?

nevermind, didn't notice america's release date being in november. well ****. XD
imma be so jealous of my cousin getting it about two weeks before me.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
North America is king when it comes to buying Nintendo home consoles and software by a decent margin going back to at least N64. You can't miss Black Friday there for Smash like you could in 2001 (3/12/2001 in NA) for Melee. Market has changed.

NOA never releases first unless they have to :p

the8thark

Smash Lord
Now I won't be spoiled on Wii U exclusive stuff!

BTW, with the difference in release dates and the rush for Black Friday, I can feel the bugs and day 1 patch. Just don't brick my Wii U.
I think Reggie pushed for the Black Friday release. SSB doesn't need Black Friday to sell tons. But I'm sure Reggie got Nintendo Japan to believe that.
And if Hyrule Warriors is anything to go by, you will be testing the bugs for us. But I don't see anything major being there as it's a 1st party project whereas Hyrule Warriors was not.

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
So...how 'bout one of them Smash Bros Directs this week, Nintendo? That would be really nice!

I need to be reassured that the Wii U version will have a big Adventure Mode counterpart to Smash Run.

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
Freaking finally. XD

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2fw33j/so_it_begins_not_my_photo/ckdakcn

So that prematurely-released Nintendo France banner was on the ball, after all..! They were right in that France wasn't getting the game on November 21, 2014, but I never thought that the United States of America would get the game so early!

I'm glad that the Wii U version is getting released in English first - it helps in rectifying the delayed release of Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, and at least this time, I won't have to wait an extra few weeks just for the English localizations of game text/clips (not to mention that I can watch on-screen elements that aren't foreign to me to begin with)!

Just had to get that Black Friday date in the U.S., eh? I guess it is to be expected by Nintendo, though; the move will probably bolster the Wii U's sales, let alone the sales of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. I really hope that the "Christmas Rushed" principle does not harm Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (given that it may retain a few shortcomings from Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS). Anyway, I'll wait until November 2014 to see how things panned out, given how things infamously panned out with the release date(s) for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. As for other countries, I wish that they all shared the same release date (preferably November 21, 2014, since the game is essentially done by that point), although extra localization and shipping issues have probably cropped up (ideally, all of this should have been coordinated in advance so that everyone gets the game the same day, on time).

Canada and Mexico are getting it at the same time as us as well. Strange considering Sakurai said Japan would be getting the Wii U version first.
Is there a source for this? The Pic of the Day post from September 21, 2014 (the second one) implied that Masahiro Sakurai was going to abide by either the Japanese release date or the "overseas/non-Japanese" date regarding SSB4-Wii U, but I see no indication that the Japanese version of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U was necessarily getting released first.

Would have been really neat if this had been revealed through a Direct. I'm really missing the Directs, and I'm wondering why Nintendo is messing around here just releasing Press Releases. We haven't have a Direct in forever, and they really need to be pushing SSBU as much as possible.
Maybe Nintendo doesn't have much to announce in the form of a Nintendo Direct at the moment? While admittedly the general English Nintendo Directs seem to be sparse (excluding the August 2014 Japanese-only Nintendo Direct (despite it still having information relevant to English speakers) and the September 2014 Bayonetta 2-specific Nintendo Direct), I don't see much to announce at this point in time given that Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Pokemon OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire are the two major releases at this point in time, and I'm unsure of what the development status of Nintendo's other upcoming games are (like Star Fox for Wii U). Most of OR/AS is known by virtue of the games being a set of remakes, along with official Pokemon outlets already revealing a lot of new Pokemon forms and other tidbits. Regarding Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, most of the major stuff that seems to be left at this point is stages (a number of which have already been announced/showcased) and game modes due to Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS already revealing the playable characters, Classic Mode's final boss, custom moves, and some other minor features, unless more characters/features are somehow unlocked when the SSB4-Wii U interacts. I would imagine that Nintendo still wants to keep some secrets, whatever they may be, for the actual release SSB4-Wii U, so a press release for the release date(s) seems suitable to me. Masahiro Sakurai will probably also be covering more Wii U elements in the Pic of the Day series, so there's that. Honestly, the release date information for SSB4-Wii U is easily conveyed in something as small as a tweet or a Miiverse post, so I don't really see a need to reserve a Nintendo Direct for it. I agree that SSB4-Wii U could use more promotion, though, maybe in the form of commercials.

Keep in mind Nintendo of Europe has to translate all game text into at least English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch and Russian, while NoA only has to translate it into English and Spanish.
News to me. :o When did Portuguese, Dutch, and Russian get added to the mix? Did the Wii U/Nintendo 3DS add support for more languages..? Also, why would there have to be 2 Spanish translations this time? (I'm guessing "Mexican" Spanish and Castillian/"Spain" Spanish?) Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl were apparently limited to Castilian Spanish, so I don't see the need for an additional Spanish translation unless Nintendo wants to garner more exposure/accommodate for more than one Spanish variety.

As for the European English translation, I would figure that Nintendo of Europe could just use most of what Nintendo of America has, but there always seem to be minor differences that crop up.. :/

False, Nintendo of CANADA translate the game in french english spanish in CANADA. ( i'm from quebec ) ;)
and we got the game on 21 nov too
I'm so confused... >_> So Nintendo of Japan handles the original Japanese build, Nintendo of America handles the American English translation, Nintendo of Canada works on a "French, English, Spanish" translation, and Nintendo of Europe works on a good chunk of the rest of the languages? (British English, (Parisian) French, Castilian Spanish, German, Italian) :confused:

5th of December for me. Release dates have been really wierd for Nintendo recently. Such as Austrailia getting new 3ds months earlier, and now japan getting smash bros after EU and America? Well.
Yeah; they've been a bit strange.. :< Odd how the U.S. is getting SSB4-Wii U first yet has to wait until 2015 for the New Super Nintendo 3DS.

And the original version is in Japanese.

SO WHY DO HELL THEY RELEASE IT TWO WEEKS LATER HERE, IS THIS SOME KIND OF REVENGE OF THE AMERICANS FOR HAVING THEM WAIT LONGER FOR THE 3DS VERSION OR SOMETHING.

/cry
Somebody on Reddit said that Japan's "Black Friday" is the first week of December, so I'm not sure whether that has any merit... I vaguely recall something similar being stated before a long time ago (for the Wii U console's release, maybe?)

EDIT: Gah, forgot to mention that I love how the 2 titans of Nintendo domination (Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Pokemon OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire) are getting released on November 21, 2014! This Black Friday is certainly going to go down in history! The release date probably won't apply to me at all since I have never gotten games on release day, but I love the concept of it all... Rest in peace, people's wallets! :laugh:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'll be damned. We're getting it first, and I say this largely because I expected the game to be released in Japan at least a week prior to the NA release.

By the way, it's inevitable, but I think we will probably get some early gameleaks in the middle of November.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
So, about 30 pics of the day left, and we still don't know jack about the Wii U version's exclusive modes.

TealPlatypus

Smash Cadet
That's so weird. I was expecting it to get delayed until 2015 because of the ambiguous release date up to this point. Well, I'm not complaining. lol

SunnyDust

Smash Journeyman
That's great! I just wished I was home on November 21st. :ohwell:

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Kinda bummed that they just plopped the release date out of nowhere. No official announcement or even a Duck Hunt trailer to go with it?

the8thark

Smash Lord
Amiibo dates . . . have to say them here as moderators don't like new topics about Amiibo dates.

Amiibo Relese dates: NA 11/21/14, EU 28/11/2014, Aus 29/11/2014

Miiverse post from Sakurai
Release dates for the Wii U version have been announced! Along with the first amiibo lineup, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will be released on November 21st in the Americas. In Europe, amiibo will be released on November 28th, while Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will launch on December 5th. In Oceania, amiibo will be released on November 29th, and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will launch on December 6th. For more details, check out the official website at www.smashbros.com.
It looks like the people outside NA get the Amiibo about a week before they get the game.

So, about 30 pics of the day left, and we still don't know jack about the Wii U version's exclusive modes.
You mean almost 60 right? If you're counting the EU/J.ap/Aus release date.

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
November 21st, eh? That's only a month and a half away thank god. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to stand the sounds of my roommate playing smash for the 3ds before I snap. lol At least Hyrule Warriors will keep me somewhat occupied.

R0Y

Smash Master
Kinda bummed that they just plopped the release date out of nowhere. No official announcement or even a Duck Hunt trailer to go with it?
There were leaks of the release date from the US, Canada, and actually France (though it ends up not being their release date, ouch.)

Even if there's a Direct or something coming up (hopefully,) the cat was out of the bag.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
FINALLY, we get a release date!

*looks at EU date release*

God dammit....

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
This will probably be the one and only time I'll ever say this, but I'm proud to be an American right now. I'm SO glad we're getting it first. It's about time we got something actually huge, significant and worth mentioning and caring about that almost everybody knows about first. XD

Between Sonic Boom and Smash, November is gonna be the best month of the year for me. <3

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
That's so weird. I was expecting it to get delayed until 2015 because of the ambiguous release date up to this point. Well, I'm not complaining. lol
Nintendo would have f*cked Sakurai up the arse if he said he needed more time. The Wii U NEEDS this damn game!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Nintendo would have f*cked Sakurai up the arse if he said he needed more time. The Wii U NEEDS this damn game!
This. I love Nintendo but the line up for the Wii U this Holiday Season is downright anemic. Nintendo definitely needs to bank on something a little more reliable than the people who didn't buy Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors, and Mario Kart 8 earlier this year.

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
Europe always gets the worst cut of the pie. Oh well, at least I've got my 3DS and Bayonetta 2 to keep me satisfied.

I am mad salty right now.

Sakurai will most probably keep updating until the Japanese version is out, wouldn't you agree?

Last edited:

Artero

Smash Enthousiast
NNID
Artero
All I can say is 'ugh' at Europe once again being screwed over. IMO just a **** move by Nintendo, releasing the 3DS version simultaneously in both Europe and the US, but suddenly getting the American Wii U version out earlier just to get extra Black Friday sales. That salt, it burns.

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
This. I love Nintendo but the line up for the Wii U this Holiday Season is downright anemic. Nintendo definitely needs to bank on something a little more reliable than the people who didn't buy Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors, and Mario Kart 8 earlier this year.
I agree. That said I hope we see a few gameplay improvements from the 3DS version such as...
  • Slightly smaller/closer blastzones as it can be a bit annoying when you think you've KO'ed someone yet next thing you know, they are coming back to the stage! (meteor smashes, gimping and any other offstage tools can help with this, but only so much as timing is crucial to these type of techniques)

• Better online. While 4 on the 3DS's online is a major upgrade from Brawl's atrocious online, less gameplay lag (especially in 4 player free for alls/ 2 vs 2 teams) would be beneficial to the Wii U version's online.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
NO WALLETS ARE SAFE IN NOVEMBER
At least they're given a month's time to recuperate. Maybe say their prayers. Spend time with their loved ones before they say goodbye. Finish the bucket list they've kept throughout their years.

It's the decent thing to do.

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
I get the serious impression NOA lurks here. We were just talking about this the last few days...

Newt Floss

Smash Journeyman
Freaking finally. XD

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2fw33j/so_it_begins_not_my_photo/ckdakcn

So that prematurely-released Nintendo France banner was on the ball, after all..! They were right in that France wasn't getting the game on November 21, 2014, but I never thought that the United States of America would get the game so early!

I'm glad that the Wii U version is getting released in English first - it helps in rectifying the delayed release of Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, and at least this time, I won't have to wait an extra few weeks just for the English localizations of game text/clips (not to mention that I can watch on-screen elements that aren't foreign to me to begin with)!

Just had to get that Black Friday date in the U.S., eh? I guess it is to be expected by Nintendo, though; the move will probably bolster the Wii U's sales, let alone the sales of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. I really hope that the "Christmas Rushed" principle does not harm Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (given that it may retain a few shortcomings from Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS). Anyway, I'll wait until November 2014 to see how things panned out, given how things infamously panned out with the release date(s) for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. As for other countries, I wish that they all shared the same release date (preferably November 21, 2014, since the game is essentially done by that point), although extra localization and shipping issues have probably cropped up (ideally, all of this should have been coordinated in advance so that everyone gets the game the same day, on time).

Is there a source for this? The Pic of the Day post from September 21, 2014 (the second one) implied that Masahiro Sakurai was going to abide by either the Japanese release date or the "overseas/non-Japanese" date regarding SSB4-Wii U, but I see no indication that the Japanese version of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U was necessarily getting released first.

Maybe Nintendo doesn't have much to announce in the form of a Nintendo Direct at the moment? While admittedly the general English Nintendo Directs seem to be sparse (excluding the August 2014 Japanese-only Nintendo Direct (despite it still having information relevant to English speakers) and the September 2014 Bayonetta 2-specific Nintendo Direct), I don't see much to announce at this point in time given that Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Pokemon OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire are the two major releases at this point in time, and I'm unsure of what the development status of Nintendo's other upcoming games are (like Star Fox for Wii U). Most of OR/AS is known by virtue of the games being a set of remakes, along with official Pokemon outlets already revealing a lot of new Pokemon forms and other tidbits. Regarding Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, most of the major stuff that seems to be left at this point is stages (a number of which have already been announced/showcased) and game modes due to Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS already revealing the playable characters, Classic Mode's final boss, custom moves, and some other minor features, unless more characters/features are somehow unlocked when the SSB4-Wii U interacts. I would imagine that Nintendo still wants to keep some secrets, whatever they may be, for the actual release SSB4-Wii U, so a press release for the release date(s) seems suitable to me. Masahiro Sakurai will probably also be covering more Wii U elements in the Pic of the Day series, so there's that. Honestly, the release date information for SSB4-Wii U is easily conveyed in something as small as a tweet or a Miiverse post, so I don't really see a need to reserve a Nintendo Direct for it. I agree that SSB4-Wii U could use more promotion, though, maybe in the form of commercials.

News to me. :o When did Portuguese, Dutch, and Russian get added to the mix? Did the Wii U/Nintendo 3DS add support for more languages..? Also, why would there have to be 2 Spanish translations this time? (I'm guessing "Mexican" Spanish and Castillian/"Spain" Spanish?) Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl were apparently limited to Castilian Spanish, so I don't see the need for an additional Spanish translation unless Nintendo wants to garner more exposure/accommodate for more than one Spanish variety.

As for the European English translation, I would figure that Nintendo of Europe could just use most of what Nintendo of America has, but there always seem to be minor differences that crop up.. :/

I'm so confused... >_> So Nintendo of Japan handles the original Japanese build, Nintendo of America handles the American English translation, Nintendo of Canada works on a "French, English, Spanish" translation, and Nintendo of Europe works on a good chunk of the rest of the languages? (British English, (Parisian) French, Castilian Spanish, German, Italian) :confused:

Yeah; they've been a bit strange.. :< Odd how the U.S. is getting SSB4-Wii U first yet has to wait until 2014 for the New Super Nintendo 3DS.

Somebody on Reddit said that Japan's "Black Friday" is the first week of December, so I'm not sure whether that has any merit... I vaguely recall something similar being stated before a long time ago (for the Wii U release, maybe?)

EDIT: Gah, forgot to mention that I love how the 2 titans of Nintendo domination (Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Pokemon OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire) are getting released on November 21, 2014! This Black Friday is certainly going to go down in history! The release date probably won't apply to me at all since I have never gotten games on release day, but I love the concept of it all... Rest in peace, people's wallets! :laugh:
I don't have time to read your novel.

Young Marth

Smash Apprentice
I don't have any legitimate data on me, but I heard that Japan is more interested on handheld games while places like North America (didn't hear anything on Europe in particular) prefer console games.

So, North America getting the game before Japan can make a lot of sense from a marketing standpoint. We also have Black Friday which happens a week later, so that'll help their sales a bit too.

As for Europe, I don't know. It could be localization reasons, but that's the only explanation I can think of right now.

That's just it. Black Friday. Wii U's will br selling like CRAZY since smash is out by then. I just seriously can't explain the stupidity of leaving everyone else behind though... I mean I'm glad i live in the USA now but it's not good for marketing...

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Glad to see official confirmation at last. Hopefully the Wii U news kick offs to build the hype as we count down to the true end of speculation (until/if DLC is mentioned)

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Prepare yourselves! Smash Bros. for Wii U is upon us! And it's coming "directly" to you!

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
Know what would be sweet sauce? A WiiU demo early Nov:crazy::chuckle:

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
I agree. That said I hope we see a few gameplay improvements from the 3DS version such as...
  • Slightly smaller/closer blastzones as it can be a bit annoying when you think you've KO'ed someone yet next thing you know, they are coming back to the stage! (meteor smashes, gimping and any other offstage tools can help with this, but only so much as timing is crucial to these type of techniques)

• Better online. While 4 on the 3DS's online is a major upgrade from Brawl's atrocious online, less gameplay lag (especially in 4 player free for alls/ 2 vs 2 teams) would be beneficial to the Wii U version's online.
Smaller blastzones = less fun if you ask me. I think the name of the game is to earn your kills. I hate being thrown to death at 50%. Timing is crucial and has to be learned well in order to be used correctly, but isn't learning and mastering the mechanics one of the basic ideas of a game such as this?

Last edited:
Top Bottom