• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reggie wants to know which game(s) we'd like to see at a Nintendo World Championships revival.

Nine

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Philip
3DS FC
2294-4620-8242
I'm surprised the community hasn't tweeted much.
Let's go!

Rood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Rood2790
I'm up for it! But to be honest I doubt there will be another NWC. Even though it would be great.

Regardless of winning or not, both Nintendo and Reggie will see that there is a HUGE supporting smash scene,
See this is the problem. Nintendo already knows this stuff exists, but literally don't care. And they really have no reason to.

Unless you could somehow get the majority of people to boycott to Nintendo, this isn't the outlet for anything Smash-related.

I mean have you guys refreshed yourselves on Nintendo's track record recently? Nintendo's already ignored perhaps the two biggest fan-efforts in gaming ever (Smash, Mother 3), and they continue the live with their head up their ass and it's been showing in their game design philosophy since 2001.

Nintendo is a lost cause, and should be considered as one until something drastic changes. They are not trustworthy.

I don't think melee is the type of game that fits this. They are just asking, I think, rhetorically what people would want to see if there was a revival of Nintendo World Championships. For the uninitiated it was basically a tournament where competitors would get a special, modded cart with 3 games: Super Mario Brothers, Rad Racer, and Tetris and has a certain amount of time to get a high score. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_World_Championships
This isn't an actual tournament from the looks of it and I'm guessing they want stuff like "oh new super mario brothers u get 50 coins or catch nizbit" along those lines, but showing NoA that we are a vocal community (as if they didn't already know) and while we might not work for this is (more just a rhetorical question than anything else from the looks of it) they might throw us a bone sometime soon.
Precisely. You'd probably have ten times as much success getting them to sport Brawl and convincing no one to show up.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
It says current games. Brawl is a current game, Melee definitely isn't. The Brawl community helped Melee get into EVO, how about the Melee community helps out the Brawl community this time? We do still exist, you know.

Before I get flamed, this is coming from someone who has probably entered more Melee tournaments this year than Brawl tournaments. All I'm saying is that Brawl has a much better chance of making it in, and I'm sure most Melee players know it. Just like how Brawl players knew Melee had a better chance of making it into EVO and voted for Melee instead. Brawl was an option in the poll, if you remember. Why be selfish and vote for Melee this time? You know how Nintendo feels about Melee. The Smash community will benefit regardless of which game gets in.

Just trying to keep it real here... if you're voting Melee then you really should toss Brawl a vote too.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
Just trying to keep it real here... if you're voting Melee then you really should toss Brawl a vote too.
Yeah, but I really can't bring myself to vote for a game that I actively dislike. Sorry.

On the flipside, Brawl could make it in if Melee wins but is deemed too ancient by Nintendo. Which is a scenario that actually has a pretty good chance of happening.

Bones0

Smash Legend
It says current games. Brawl is a current game, Melee definitely isn't. The Brawl community helped Melee get into EVO, how about the Melee community helps out the Brawl community this time? We do still exist, you know.

Before I get flamed, this is coming from someone who has probably entered more Melee tournaments this year than Brawl tournaments. All I'm saying is that Brawl has a much better chance of making it in, and I'm sure most Melee players know it. Just like how Brawl players knew Melee had a better chance of making it into EVO and voted for Melee instead. Brawl was an option in the poll, if you remember. Why be selfish and vote for Melee this time? You know how Nintendo feels about Melee. The Smash community will benefit regardless of which game gets in.

If you want to keep it real, then you should realize barlw is dying as soon as Smash 4 launches (if not sooner). It is a dead-end game unlike Melee which will be maintaining its very healthy competitive scene for at least the unforeseeable future.

I don't think we should be particularly worried about winning the competition anyway. This is just a great chance to spread The Smash Brothers documentary to Nintendo fans who may not know about the competitive scene or may have misconstrued ideas of what it is about.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Just ****ing say "Smash Bros. has to be represented" in stead of bickering about what game you guys deem worthy

Honestly, if you disagree with what I said, then you should feel bad and get your head out of the clouds.
You obviously don't care about Smash as a whole, only what the 4th word of the game-title says.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Brawl is current, vibrant tournament scene. Melee isn't as current, but certainly on a lot of tongues because of EVO/documentary. Any Smash title is a victory, I personally voted for both.

nooga

Smash Apprentice
Brawl is current, vibrant tournament scene. Melee isn't as current, but certainly on a lot of tongues because of EVO/documentary. Any Smash title is a victory, I personally voted for both.

<3 Prog, you did very well in the documentary.

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
You obviously don't care about Smash as a whole, only what the 4th word of the game-title says.
Obviously I cannot speak for anyone else, but I think super smash bros. brawl is a bad game and I don't see why I would vote for it just by virtue of being in the same franchise as the games that I think are good. I don't care about "Smash as a whole" because I do not like "Smash as a whole." There's a good more to the differences between the games than a word in a title, and if you asked me today to go purchase final fantasy XIII because I liked the first nine games in the series I would probably go on a lengthy diatribe about its flaws and tell you very candidly that I wouldn't support it unless you put a gun to my head. I've absolutely no reason to treat smash differently in that respect.
I mean no disrespect to brawl players (or final fantasy xiii fans, for that matter, I think lightning is hot too don't worry).

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Obviously I cannot speak for anyone else, but I think super smash bros. brawl is a bad game and I don't see why I would vote for it just by virtue of being in the same franchise as the games that I think are good. I don't care about "Smash as a whole" because I do not like "Smash as a whole." There's a good more to the differences between the games than a word in a title, and if you asked me today to go purchase final fantasy XIII because I liked the first nine games in the series I would probably go on a lengthy diatribe about its flaws and tell you very candidly that I wouldn't support it unless you put a gun to my head. I've absolutely no reason to treat smash differently in that respect.
I mean no disrespect to brawl players (or final fantasy xiii fans, for that matter, I think lightning is hot too don't worry).
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but as others have said Brawl is a more current game. That being said it would most likely be the preferred game to put into something like the NWC. How could it hurt to vote for both?

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
See there is an inherit problem with this mentality, it implies that every person who plays brawl with just play brawl. Just because the games are fundamentally different, by the sheer virtue of being part of a series, it will attract attention to the other community.

Let me give you an example. I have been watching melee since 2006, since about age 12. I loved melee and when I was younger I wanted whole heartedly to play it seriously. When brawl came out I seized that opportunity on the new game in the series. I played brawl seriously and after a while, like a lot of us, I got tired of it and went back to melee. I can't tell you the amount of people I meet that started out and played played brawl because it was the newer game and because it was a super smash brothers game, they were exposed to melee and switched over. For every person brawl introduces to the game, it's another person who has an opportunity to see melee and want to play it too.

The mentally of just sticking to your own respective game is what holds the community back. Both communities grow together because of the nature of them being the same series. You can think brawl is a bad game and continue to play melee, but you should encourage the spread and exposure of either game because it results in community growth. I think people get too caught up in one game being better or not and don't see what both games to do to both communities. You don't have to like brawl, but you should support it because more brawl support means more melee support and who doesn't like bigger pots?

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
There is a difference, for me, between supporting the community of a game and supporting the game itself. I very much appreciate the support brawl's community has given melee (2008 notwithstanding) and vice versa. But to send the message to Nintendo "yes, I believe in this game and wish to see it represented, this is an acceptable standard of game design and quality" would be absolutely disingenuous of me. Shouting out a brawl stream so that anyone interested can find it is far from the same thing as telling the game's makers that I think they did a good job with this, and that's a tacit approval I'm not comfortable making. And I'm very certainly not convinced that it would be good for melee to do so.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
There is a difference, for me, between supporting the community of a game and supporting the game itself. I very much appreciate the support brawl's community has given melee (2008 notwithstanding) and vice versa. But to send the message to Nintendo "yes, I believe in this game and wish to see it represented, this is an acceptable standard of game design and quality" would be absolutely disingenuous of me. Shouting out a brawl stream so that anyone interested can find it is far from the same thing as telling the game's makers that I think they did a good job with this, and that's a tacit approval I'm not comfortable making. And I'm very certainly not convinced that it would be good for melee to do so.
But if melee isn't an opinion, why wouldn't you support another smash game that will support your own community. If it's only modern games and melee doesn't count, instead of just writing it off as saying "brawl is bad" just vote for it, it will lead people to smashboards and melee in the process.

SuperGamecube64

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure there would ever actually be a Nintendo World Championship...I mean, this is Reggie we're talking about. I hope I'm wrong so bad, but I'm really not thinking this will become anything.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
Melee isn't really the type of game that belongs here. Nintendo will find some way to mess it up, or go EVO on our asses and just give us a flat 'no.'If so, WE'LL go EVO on THEIR asses and change that to a yes.

That said, at the very least we can show them what the Melee community is made of once again. If everything goes perfectly and by some circumstance they adopt the standard tournament rule set, that's fantastic, but if not, they'll still be showcasing Melee, and even without stock mode and items on high, it's still effing amazing to play or watch. GET HYPE FOR MELEE!

Top Bottom