• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ref's Ness guide (Defense) Updated....

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Yep, and to keep this alive I'm posting.

Should add another character this week.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Hey, I was looking and I couldn't find a stage discussion/ counterpck thread, so you might want to make one. The reason I was looking was because I think I found a pretty good cp stage against d3, and maybe more characters too (might've been discussed, but I'll post anyway, I don't have the time to look for it)
Luigi's Mansion. I picked up ness a couple weeks ago, and I was playin a friend of mine who was playing d3. I chose luigi's for lulz, and it actually worked **** nice. On the bottom floor, those 2 little platforms on it are amazing. They give a great angle for pk fire, ness can grab d3, but I'm pretty sure d3 can't grab him. Also, the pillars can be hit by pk fire, allowing the fire pillar to be made even if you miss d3. u-tile juggling is great with the ceiling and all too. If this has been discussed, my bad, but that's that :p.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
I'll add a stage section soon like tomorrow. I had the idea but thanks for reminding me.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
Ref, although PKT2 is a bit harder to pull off, don't you have a high chance of landing a PKT2 if they are in the air on the left or right sides of the stage with a bit of mindgaming? This stage also allows you to use PKT from under the platforms so that the opponent won't see it when they are at that position.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Thunder Sliding is good on Battlefield, off of the stage and on the platforms. Yes, Ness can do this. He just flies upward. The edges of Battlefield also allow Ness to perform PK Jibaku without actually having to attempt a slide. Here's my crappy attempt to show you what I mean.

The red represents the dashing and the blue represents PK Thunder. Also, you can see two blue circles near the edge on Battlefield there. Oddly enough, PK Thunder can go through there. Test it out first before actually using it in a fight, though.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
Unfortunately, thundersliding isn't as applicable for Ness because of the angle that it sends you. If it was like Lucas's then it would be different.

Levitas

the moon
Ness doesn't like to thunderslide unless your opponent is REALLY conditioned for the natural angle of PKT, and even then only under stupid circumstances and you won't sweetspot with pkt2 anyway.

The PKT through corners works on some other stages too, like corneria.

edit: ninja'd. that's like the second time today.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I wish I hadn't deleted the video, but there was one time I actually did the Thunder Slide with Ness, the PKT tail wrapped around the other Ness main and was blasted right off the screen. I won't say who I did it to, but I did it which means there is a possibility of doing it again. I'm not saying that the Thunder Slide for Ness is as good as Lucas'. I'm just saying that it can be quite useful as an edge guard.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
Are you saying that you pulled a PKT2 False Edgeguard using the thunderslide? Sounds cool, but it's hard to believe. Thunderslide would be a lot better if Ness slid more during PKT. Can you at least show the way you used PKT and send it as a replay or something?

Uffe

Smash Hero
^^^ I never even heard of that name. And like I said, I deleted the video awhile back because I felt I didn't really need it. However, I regret doing so. I ran off the stage, looped the PK Thunder around the other Ness main, struck myself and blasted him into oblivion. So yeah, I can see why that'd be hard to believe. But I did it and only once. Again, I deleted the video because I found no use for it and now I'm wishing I hadn't deleted it.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Looking good Ref. Are you keeping the one in the HHC updated as well?

For battlefield, note that your usmash will hit opponents from above, and a dair can hit opponents through a platform.

Id like you to add that PKF can do a good combo if you PK Jump it and lag cancel it using an fair which can lead to a grab.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
I'm actually not keeping up with the HHC one... I'll get to that later.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Hey Ref, EIDI works on Marth, and the reason it works is because of his height correct?
So wouldnt this limit the the abilities of the grab release for Ike and Bowser (along with probably some other characters) as well?

I can see this protecting Ness fgrom maybe the Bowser Bomb or the jab of Ike.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Yes... I mentioned this briefly before when I was asked if DK can cargo to down smash Ness, saying that EIDI could make the Down smash miss.

Probably won't save you from a bowser bomb seeing that bowser can do it to Luigi...

I will probably make it significantly harder.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
What about the jab crap of Ike? The BB shouldnt be too harmful since you can DI it anyways. I think this deserves another thread actually.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Possibly Jab since I believe it just grazes your face...

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Hehe, screw the warning. This thread needs to be stickied. And more info on the other character matchups Ref?

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
I have so much Match up experience that I cannot express in words... I'll also change Levitas' frame data to mine, sorry Levitas.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Heh I guess I'll update it more soon since you think it is good... I've been busy expect more this Saturday in which I'll have like nothing to do but this....

I'll probably write up about Pokemon stadium Saturday.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
This most likely is the best guide on these boards considering it's the most up to date one. .Yoshi's been dead for a while, and Aevin's cool and all, but he's not so active.

Man of Popsicle

Smash Lord
You say never use special while flying.
I find it helpful after surviving a hard hit with a quick Fair, because you're elevation is so high, to use PK Fire to stop edgeguard attempts, then fall just below the edge of the stage and use your double jump coupled with Fair. Stops quite a few jab type edgegaurds.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
I was talking about when you go flying to stop momentum do not use specials. I was talking about survival not recovery. Flying is used to describe you being hit by some attack at death percents, but living by having good DI and momentum stopping tactics.

As in recovery you can change options as you please. In fact I'll add a section on making it back to the stage when I get the chance.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Stickied... I'll update it later when I'm not running out of time....

''How much time do we have?''

"Not a lot."

smash64

Smash Champion
Ref seems like you and me are gonna be going to the same tournament at Apex i wanna do some dittos btw i didnt know you play ssb64 i would love to play you in that

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
I quit Brawl, I'm not going to apex at all. A waste of time for me.

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
I remember reading about it: Yoshi's side-B (but it falls straight down), DK's up-B, and the bucket. Anything else gives you a burst away.

I find myself sometimes USING that boost with PSIM to get myself farther away when hit lightly upwards (such as by a weak utilt). Sometimes people expect you to either come right down or double-jump, but there is a 3rd option.

Man of Popsicle

Smash Lord
I remember reading about it: Yoshi's side-B (but it falls straight down), DK's up-B, and the bucket. Anything else gives you a burst away.

I find myself sometimes USING that boost with PSIM to get myself farther away when hit lightly upwards (such as by a weak utilt). Sometimes people expect you to either come right down or double-jump, but there is a 3rd option.
I'm pretty sure about Zamus' flip.

Kyronexx

Smash Apprentice
I am going to my first big tourney. Its Hobo17. I plan on being the best Ness in Texas and soon USA. Pray for me guys. I plan on making money this coming Saturday. : D

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
I am going to my first big tourney. Its Hobo17. I plan on being the best Ness in Texas and soon USA. Pray for me guys. I plan on making money this coming Saturday. : D
Hey! I have a tourney on Saturday too! I also plan on becoming a bit...mmm...richer. XD

Ref, great guide. I regret overlooking this when I first came to Smashboards.
However, I completely side with EB360 on the D-throw issue. Too many situational follow-ups make it much better than people give it credit for.

Top Bottom