• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Red8 (Ganon) vs Holy (ROB)

MysticGospel

Smash Cadet
Besides the excess shielding, you style's pretty solid, it's a shame you lost, though.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
You might have been able to stage spike him - maybe for the win! - at the end.

You gotta learn what Wraith (lol plug) can do. If you play around, you'll find it can actually recover from some hopeless-looking places.

Holy wrecks me, absolutely. I haven't played him with my Ganon yet, but if I did I thought I'd play similarly to you. o_O
You managed to use many fairs to some success, so perhaps I'll borrow that.

As you reached the end, Holy managed to get you with something he always tries if it works: bair nair mindgames. Once you start trying to block it, he'll wait on it so your shield depletes, then shoots. And then he just controls people, makes them stop attacking him, gets into spaces he's comfortable with, and *****. When R.O.B. starts ****** up-close, something is wrong.
You have to not let R.O.B. make you feel cornered, because it is an awkward character. Holy's masterful use of it, his "fear aura", will make a lesser player (like me) start imagining phantasms into attacks that aren't really as good as they seem. But Holy knows exactly how this works, and he's basically Raising a Corpse from the Dead with it, because he is now using this illusory power for real.

EDIT: I forgot to mention specifics: Basically, nair and bair are slower than Holy - and another good R.O.B. user - will make it feel. If you ignore your fear and attack into it, you'll ... well, you might not hit, but you'll do better, I think, than shielding or waiting. Up close, R.O.B. is the one who's losing an attrition of frames.

I still can't do it myself, but that's how people have to beat Holy, if that's what they lose to. My belief about your match is that you lost because you gave him power he didn't have; your actual choices were, barring that, really good.
I 'd bet if we could watch Ally v. Holy games, we'd see Ally doesn't fall for that stuff.

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
wow, thanks PK, I wasn't expecting something like that. When I saw your name though, I knew it was gonna be good :]
Thanks for the mental advice, I'll work on it. He's the only ROB I've played since two friendlies with Noob before one of my Ganongasm matches lol

fonzi21

Smash Ace
Good stuff, I like the ISJR short hop murder choke to F-smash lol. It was pretty clever. The only things I can recommend is work on teching the ground more, and save your second jump when your off the map, the first stock could have easily been prevented if you saved your jump. Most people only gimp to what they "Think" Ganon can recover from, and if he has his jump his recovery is actually decent. It's difficult to to save it in those situations, but really focus on not using it until he retreats to the edge, just keep DI'ing up and towards the stage until you can safely jump then Up-B.

The situation you were in Up-B there instantly instead of jumping to try and sweet spot the ledge, that way you didn't waste the jump and if he did hit you with the first F-air you still can recover.

Keep up the good work.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
wow, thanks PK, I wasn't expecting something like that. When I saw your name though, I knew it was gonna be good :]
Thanks for the mental advice, I'll work on it. He's the only ROB I've played since two friendlies with Noob before one of my Ganongasm matches lol
You should play TP's ROB whenever you and him get the chance to do so.

Top Bottom