• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recovery Rankings

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Mewtwo should go to A. His hurtbox sucks, but he also has the best air dodge in the game and plenty of options to make it back. You need to save his second jump though. Mega Man should go lower in C or down to D, he's way too gimpable and the best defense he has are pellets. Little Mac should go to F and FF should be eliminated since he has an amazing wall jump. Luigi should go down to C since nobody can really mash the B button enough to do a jumpless cyclone except for Boss. It's just not realistic to expect the common person to be able to do this, and he can easily be gimped otherwise.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Razputin13

Smash Rookie
NNID
Razputin13
Mewtwo should go to A. His hurtbox sucks, but he also has the best air dodge in the game and plenty of options to make it back. You need to save his second jump though. Mega Man should go lower in C or down to D, he's way too gimpable and the best defense he has are pellets. Little Mac should go to F and FF should be eliminated since he has an amazing wall jump. Luigi should go down to C since nobody can really mash the B button enough to do a jumping cyclone except for Boss. It's just not realistic to expect the common person to be able to do this, and he can easily be gimped otherwise.

Just my two cents.
I agree with Mewtwo and Little Mac (heck, Mewtwo has a wall jump as well), but disagree with Mega Man and Luigi. Luigi's jumping cyclone is easy to pull off, it's his jumpless cyclone that's incredibly difficult, but that's not usually needed to recover. And I think Megaman is fine where he is. He has a wall jump, and can use his sticky bomb for recovery, so it's better than it seems at first glance. And while it's gimpable, it's not any more so than Rosalina or Sonic; it's just his shorter distance that sets him apart.

At this point, I'd move Wii Fit a bit higher in B, push Mewtwo and Peach to A, and push Little Mac to F. I also might drop Luigi a little just because of how gimpable he is, but either low B or high C seems about right. Oh, and maybe move R.O.B. and Bowser Jr. up a bit, still on the fence about them. Bowser Jr. can recover from anywhere without even having his second jump, but he has a pretty predictable trajectory, and Sonic's spring and a few other moves will knock him out of his Up-B without giving him his cart back. Tough calls.

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
I agree with Mewtwo and Little Mac (heck, Mewtwo has a wall jump as well), but disagree with Mega Man and Luigi. Luigi's jumping cyclone is easy to pull off, it's his jumpless cyclone that's incredibly difficult, but that's not usually needed to recover. And I think Megaman is fine where he is. He has a wall jump, and can use his sticky bomb for recovery, so it's better than it seems at first glance. And while it's gimpable, it's not any more so than Rosalina or Sonic; it's just his shorter distance that sets him apart.

At this point, I'd move Wii Fit a bit higher in B, push Mewtwo and Peach to A, and push Little Mac to F. I also might drop Luigi a little just because of how gimpable he is, but either low B or high C seems about right. Oh, and maybe move R.O.B. and Bowser Jr. up a bit, still on the fence about them. Bowser Jr. can recover from anywhere without even having his second jump, but he has a pretty predictable trajectory, and Sonic's spring and a few other moves will knock him out of his Up-B without giving him his cart back. Tough calls.
I did mean jumpless. Good insight though.

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman
:4mewtwo:
Yeah. Mewtwo's recovery is better than Lucario's, but probably not as good as ZSS's. His recovery is way better than I initially gave it credit for. His double jump alone covers insane distance; like, Yoshi or Falco-like distance. Then he has side-b, wall jump, and teleport.

:4lucario:
I think Lucario's recovery is a bit overrated on this list tbh. The distance covered is impressive, but it bounces off the ledge or stage and has insane landing lag.

:4lucas:
Jeez, this boy has a great recovery. His double jump isn't quite as good as Ness's but it's close, and he has higher air speed. His PK Thunder covers way more distance and isn't nearly as easy to gimp. (The bolt doesn't disappear when hit, and PKT2 hitting the opponent doesn't hinder recovery.) Plus, because it covers more distance, he can start it from a lot farther offstage where he's safer from edge-guarding. His tether is great and because of it he doesn't depend on PK Thunder until later percentages. PK Fire also moves him in mid-air. Should be higher up in his tier.

:4samus:
Her recovery is a lot better than Falco's or Ness's. And it's a million times better than Diddy's. Her insane ledge game should earn her some points as well. A lot of characters get to the ledge and struggle with getting back onstage safely. Samus has a plethora of options in that situation. (Her stage auto-canceled f-air can lead into some devastating combos on fast-fallers.) Plus, if we're counting offstage survivability, which I assume we are because KD3 is ranked so highly, she should be mentioned. Her floatiness makes her susceptible to vertical KOs, but resistant to horizontal KOs. And she's heavy anyway.
1. Tether
2. Double jump
3. Wall jump
4. Up-b
5. Ledge game/planking/get-up options
6. Bombs (kinda)

Plus high survivability. There are only two other heavyweights with comparable recoveries. King Dedede and Wario. (Note that Samus has higher horizontal survivability than Wario, although his bike gives him the superior horizontal recovery.) KD3 has a huge hurtbox with low air-speed, depending on his recovery's distance and his heavy weight to get back onstage. Wario's recovery ability is situational.

Samus's recovery earns points for its reliability and versatility. She has multiple options at every point. Her up-b has unfortunate priority (it's just terrible) but it should be a last resort anyway.

:4mario:
You're underestimating him a lot. His recovery distance isn't great, but it's hard as hell to hit him out of his up-b. And cape stalling is a thing. Also, his air-speed is fantastic. He's probably B tier or high C tier.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I think Lucario's recovery is a bit overrated on this list tbh. The distance covered is impressive, but it bounces off the ledge or stage and has insane landing lag.
I can agree to an extent, but it can vary on Lucario's Aura after all. 0% Lucario doesn't feel S tier, but it can be when you include stages that have straight walls especially since Lucario has the greatest wall-jump in Sm4sh & Brawl. Lucario's wall-jump is so good that it outperforms Lucario's doublejump in height & distance traveled because you have the choice to Extremespeed into a wall or any surfaces that you can cling to without needing to expend your doublejump. And when you do use your doublejump, it's usually after the wall-jump, making Lucario from the lowest part of the pit quite easy. Even if you don't use anything & just drift to the stage, you can recover from very low with ease.

As for the insane landing lag issue, that can be alleviated by just holding down towards the stage which has Lucario slide across the floor a bit. This only suffers a bit of landing lag & is still good. I haven't mastered using Extremespeed since I still bounce off the ledge (it's so dumb. . .he should just auto-cling to the ledge every time), but there are Lucario players who have that make the landing lag issue non-existent.

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Doesn't Little Mac have the best wall jump in the game in terms of distance too? I tested both a while ago and found that they had almost the exact same distance with Lucario also having a wall cling.

Also @ SpottedCerberus SpottedCerberus dont forget FC Shadow Ball too. You don't always have it, but like Wario Waft, it's extremely helpful when you have one charged up and it significantly helps his already great horizontal recovery.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Doesn't Little Mac have the best wall jump in the game in terms of distance too? I tested both a while ago and found that they had almost the exact same distance with Lucario also having a wall cling.
Going by their stats which in this case being air speed & fall speed since those two stats affect a character's wall jump the most:
Little Mac
Air speed: 1
Fall speed: 1.8

Lucario
Air speed: 1.01
Fall speed: 1.56

I don't have the game turned on atm, but from this info I can say that the distance they'd both travel is around the same but Lucario would travel a bit more distance. So I'd still say that Lucario overall has a better wall jump than Little Mac but that's not the point here. Lucario feels fine on the rankings & Little Mac I'd say can rank up higher & remove the FF tier like ya said.

Last edited:

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman

Also @ SpottedCerberus SpottedCerberus dont forget FC Shadow Ball too. You don't always have it, but like Wario Waft, it's extremely helpful when you have one charged up and it significantly helps his already great horizontal recovery.
Can it be b-reversed? For some reason, I thought it couldn't. Or is it like with Samus where you have to do a turnaround-b?

Edit: Turnaround-b it is. For some reason, the timing seems more lenient than it is with Samus though. I still haven't gotten around to practicing turnaround b with Samus, so I can't do it consistently. But I did it 9 times out of 10 with Mewtwo.

Anyway.
1. Insane double Jump
2. Side-b third jump
3. Wall jump
4. Invincible up-b teleport that kinda carries momentum, covering deceptive distance
5. FC Shadow Ball (Unlike Samus, you can charge this in mid-air. So, combine that with Mewtwo's fall speed, and the fact that you should be conserving them for pressure and possible punishes, and you should really have one most of the time.)
6. Best air-dodge in the game

And his low fall speed allows him to hang out offstage, adding unpredictability to his recovery. He can even charge shadow ball when offstage. He's so damn floaty that it feels like he can fly. I love floaty characters. (Especially floaty characters with large hurt-boxes, apparently. I briefly mained Rosalina when I first got the game, and I main Samus now.) I should play Mewtwo more. There's just so many characters in this game....

Also:
:4ness:
This kid's recovery is so bad that I've gimped him on accident. Do Mr. G&W's up-b in his general vicinity while he's trying to PK Thunder, and he's dead. The double jump will only get him so far. People will only get better at messing up his recovery as time goes on. Reflectors, counters, absorbs, wind-boxes....even basic spikes will do the strike, so long as you're careful to not get hit by PKT2. (Although at low percents, that's actually a viable option. It can cut his recovery off, and as long as you tech any stage spike you should survive.) Even letting the little thunder bolt run into you works, because then he can't use it on himself.

:4dk:
He's vulnerable from the top when he's doing his up-b, right? (Unless we're counting customs. Are we counting customs? I'm not counting customs.) And his super armor seems unreliable in general. I'm sure I've knocked him out of it with a well-timed Samus d-tilt, and plenty of other characters could do something similar. And it's not like his default up-b KOs so you aren't risking much in going after him. And, if he fails to auto-cancel, the landing lag is pretty bad. His complete lack of vertical recovery and large hurtbox don't work out that well for him.

:rosalina:
I maintain that her recovery isn't very good. The lack of a hitbox, the large hurtbox, the mediocre speed, the awkward angling that results in apparent dead-zones. It's not good.

:4megaman:
Rush can negate spikes, if timed well. (You do it right before being spiked, and get knocked back into Rush's spring.) That, and his ranged u-air, make characters wary of being above him and fishing for a spike. There's risk with only a chance of reward. Also, he can double-jump after his up-b, which is something that a lot of people seem to not take advantage of. It makes him hard to gimp. For a surprise recovery, he can actually shoot a bomb at the stage and time it so that it refreshes his up-b. This isn't easy, but even I've pulled it off once or twice and I'm not that good. He can also control the distance that his up-b covers by cancelling it with a double-jump or with leaf shield, the latter option giving him a hitbox while he hangs onto the ledge.

:4yoshi:
I dunno about this one. I've gotten some pretty easy bomb gimps against him, and I can't say that for a lot of characters. He should at least be below Wii Fit Trainer, who should earn some points for being a monster on the ledge.

:4luigi:
I stilll think this guy belongs at the top of c tier, at the highest.

:4jigglypuff:
She has great recovery distance and air-speed, but she relies completely on her mid-air jumps (Rollout is a bad recovery move.) and can be KO'd very easily offstage.

:4villager:
People have gotten a lot better at finding ways to gimp him. His lack of a hitbox is really bad. I think SS-tier should be just Pikachu, Shiek, and Meta Knight. I'm not sure about Greninja. Villager would be at the top of S-tier.

:4gaw:
I dunno. He only has one recovery option, although it is a really great one.

:4kirby:
Final Cutter is such a bad recovery move. This makes him over-reliant on his jumps.

:4pacman:
Check out Abadango vs ESAM for an example of Pac getting gimped hardcore. A well-timed neutral b smacked the power pellet, and then ESAM just dropped down and stole the last jump of the trampoline. It was the first stock and Abadango died at 13%. Luckily, most characters don't have a projectile that would cover that angle and distance, and it did require a bit of a read, but it does seem like Pac's recovery has benefited from MU inexperience in the past.

:4wario2:
He's helpless without his bike, and his recovery suffers if he doesn't have a waft. It's not that hard to knock him off the bike either.

This would be my list, probably: (Discounting Miis, Dark Pit, and Lucina because I don't believe they exist. Also only giving Shulk one entry.)
SS are ridiculous recoveries. Ungimpable, and can cover practically any distance. I'm actually not 100% convinced that Sheik belongs here.
S recoveries can come back from almost anything, and are very difficult to edge-guard. Mewtwo barely makes it.
A recoveries are great, but flawed or limited. B recoveries are good, but generally flawed or limited. C recoveries are mediocre. The strengths and weaknesses balance each other out. D and below are bad. F is Little Mac.
SS
:4pikachu::4metaknight::4sheik:
S
:4villager::4greninja::4zss::4mewtwo:
A
:4gaw::4pacman::4wario::4wiifit::4pit::4olimar::4jigglypuff::4dedede::4zelda:
B
:4samus::4mario::4lucario::4peach::4sonic::4lucas::4megaman::4kirby:
C
:4fox::4yoshi::4ryu::rosalina::4luigi::4shulk::4myfriends::4rob::4bowserjr::4palutena::4diddy::4tlink::4link:
D
:4charizard::4falco::4bowser::4dk::4marth::4ness::4feroy::4falcon:
E
:4robinm::4duckhunt::4ganondorf::4drmario:
F
:4littlemac:

Last edited:

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Just curious, why is Robin so low? I'm not sure if I'd consider him on the same level as Ganon or Dr. Mario. Even DH has good distance and the Trick Shot as well.

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Yeah, he's floaty(ish) and since now Elwind's horizontal mobility is better, I'd place him higher than E tier.

Last edited:

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
I actually feel like :4gaw: could just be moved to SS tier cuz I have like never seen him get gimped. He has a predictable recovery but I don't feel like it really matters when it's so good, and I've never seen its predictability capitalized on. His uair wind box can screw up people trying to gimp him too.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
You never see him gimped because he's invincible on his way up. But he can't really delay it, and windbox can gimp him.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Of course I know he's invincible. That's not what I was saying.

I feel like as far as the ability to make it back to the ledge, you have to factor in that nobody tries to edge guard G&W. His up-b is possibly the best edge guarding move in the game and trying to edge guard G&W at any percent can get you killed, so most people (almost everyone) will wait at the ledge. This means G&W will always make it back if people don't try to gimp him. If they do try to gimp him, it's one of the hardest to gimp. I mean, a few moves with wind boxes can kill him if you get lucky, but you can get lucky and gimp some of the SS tier recoveries too.

When I knock MK or Villager off the stage for instance, I will usually go for the gimp. Will I succeed? More than likely not, that's why they're SS tier, but whenever there's an attempt to gimp there's a chance that you will get the gimp. If I don't get the gimp, there are no huge consequences, such as, say, the stock. That's why almost everyone attempts to gimp Villager, but almost nobody attempts to gimp G&W.

So I feel like in all practicality his recovery doesn't really have any major flaws.

Edit: Also Samus could be higher as stated by some others

Last edited:

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
:4metaknight:

A bit too high in my opinion. He has a lot of options for recovering but he's pretty slow in the air and he can be hit out of everything except down b (which doesn't cover that much distance), and he doesn't have great options for recovering high. If gliding was still in the game and he had his Brawl hitboxes and frame data on his aerials, then he'd definitely deserve SS tier and the first place at that.

:4zss:

I'd possibly just swap MK with ZSS as she has an amazing tether recovery that she can use with her back facing the ledge thanks to her side b. She also has one of the highest second jumps and fastest aerial speeds in the game and can recover high better than almost anyone with flip jump. Her up b is also safer than most with decent distance, also usable for going past the ledge and hitting an unsuspecting opponent with a possible killing blow before snapping to the ledge.

Should be a whole tier lower. While the distance he covers is (ridiculous) enough that he will never be straight up gimped, hitting him out of his up b isn't all that difficult and will only get easier over time. It's essentially a 50:50 whether he makes it back or dies if you have a character with a decent meteor aerial, but if you don't, he'll probably make it back without taking too much damage let alone dying. Recovering high often means experiencing heavy landing lag and most likely being punished even if your opponent tried and failed to hit you out of your up b.

I'm mainly judging these from the perspective of where edgeguarding should be (and most likely is) going - aggressive but polished. On the top level it's already there, nobody without an invincible recovery gets back to the stage for free. There's a bunch of other recoveries that I think are too high or too low, although nothing massive, but I think simple speed and distance will not be enough to have an above-B tier recovery unless you also have many options for/during your recovery.

Last edited:

randomguy1235

Smash Apprentice
I'm quite surprised by King Dedede's ranking. Shouldn't he be considered at least S tier in terms of recovery considering that he has 5 jumps and an Up Special that travels very far vertically WITH super armor in both ascent and descent?

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Btw @ One Tilt One Tilt , kenniky made a jump heights thread to help better determine one's overall jumping ability. I was able to find the multiple jumping characters' heights during a test I made with a custom stage created for that purpose. Hopefully this helps you with your rankings.

EDIT: I may in the future compile a list of characters using their Up-B and / or other Specials for recovery purposes too.

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord

A bit too high in my opinion. He has a lot of options for recovering but he's pretty slow in the air and he can be hit out of everything except down b (which doesn't cover that much distance), and he doesn't have great options for recovering high. If gliding was still in the game and he had his Brawl hitboxes and frame data on his aerials, then he'd definitely deserve SS tier and the first place at that.
Dude. MK is basically untouchable off-stage. Do something wrong and he's gonna disjointed Up-air you or Shuttle Loop to silence your insolence. Not to mention Shuttle Loop hits through the ledge and covers amazing vertical distance, so he can recover really deep.

I'm quite surprised by King Dedede's ranking. Shouldn't he be considered at least S tier in terms of recovery considering that he has 5 jumps and an Up Special that travels very far vertically WITH super armor in both ascent and descent?
Hit him with a decent aerial and he shouldn't be coming back because of the horrible combination of slowest airspeed + 2nd fastest fall in the game. SD3J has HEAVY armor and strong enough attack can hit him out of it (Luigi's B-air beats it, for example) and he basically can't recover high ever.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I only challenge meta knight off-stage when my Jump art is active & I cycle to it. My larger hitboxes force him to commit to an option early like Shuttle Loop or airdodge & usually I do a decent amount of edge-guard harass. It can be tough to seal the stock but it's doable, though perhaps I shouldn't use Jump Shulk as the example?:(
:4dedede:
TriTails has good points. His airspeed is the worst & his fall speed is very high, not to mention that his quadruplejump & quintuplejump diminish in vertical recovery height compared to his better doublejump & triplejump. Once you've made DDD expend his doublejump & triplejump & all he has left to rely on is his remaining two mid-air jumps + Up-B. I feel like a character with a move capable of hitting DDD during his Up-B & beating out his recovery would spell defeat for the king unless ofc the player techs the stage if they aren't too close to the surface.

---
Btw I thought his Up-B was Super Armor & not Heavy Armor?

Last edited:

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Dude. MK is basically untouchable off-stage. Do something wrong and he's gonna disjointed Up-air you or Shuttle Loop to silence your insolence. Not to mention Shuttle Loop hits through the ledge and covers amazing vertical distance, so he can recover really deep.
Actually as Falcon I've down air meteored MK's shuttle loop with a decent rate of success simply because it doesn't have invincibility. All you have to do is guess when he presses the button and there's no real drawback for failing. A disjointed uair also doesn't mean anything by itself especially when the hitbox is out for only a brief period of time and it has such short range, plus it does only 5 damage. Villager has a disjointed uair as well and it's much better for the purposes we're talking here.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Btw I thought his Up-B was Super Armor & not Heavy Armor?
It's Heavy. Super Armor makes the user can't flinch ever (LM's smashes). Heavy makes the user have a knockback defense, but it has limits unlike Super Armor, so strong enough attack can hit the user outta it (D3's SD3J and Yoshi's double jump).

Actually as Falcon I've down air meteored MK's shuttle loop with a decent rate of success simply because it doesn't have invincibility. All you have to do is guess when he presses the button and there's no real drawback for failing. A disjointed uair also doesn't mean anything by itself especially when the hitbox is out for only a brief period of time and it has such short range, plus it does only 5 damage. Villager has a disjointed uair as well and it's much better for the purposes we're talking here.
Disjointed U-air can combo if you're at low enough percents tho. So he can rise, rack up damage while recover at the same time.

At least, that's how it should work.

Really? I better check SL out then. I never really had the courage to hassle it with anything other than Fireballs.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
It's Heavy. Super Armor makes the user can't flinch ever (LM's smashes). Heavy makes the user have a knockback defense, but it has limits unlike Super Armor, so strong enough attack can hit the user outta it (D3's SD3J and Yoshi's double jump).
So it has both Super Armor & Heavy Armor then? This thread shows that there are Super Armor frame windows but I do want to agree that he has Heavy Armor because I've out-beat his Up-B in a few instances when I play against the character.

ChaikaBestGirl

Smash Journeyman
NNID
digdugfury
I would put Ike lower because he is so easy to gimp, Aether covers no horizontal distance and you need to be facing the ledge, quick draw is also really easy to punish by just getting hit by it offstage, then Ije just free falls

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
I would put Ike lower because he is so easy to gimp, Aether covers no horizontal distance and you need to be facing the ledge, quick draw is also really easy to punish by just getting hit by it offstage, then Ije just free falls
He doesn't free fall, but it does cut his distance. He suffers quite a bit of endlag.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Isn't aether b reversible?

theanjo

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure if this was touched upon on the thread before, but you should consider Sonic's spinshot as a recovery option. It's an easy technique that basically adds spin dash momentum to your jump, allowing for much more horizontal recovery. (Yes, that does mean you can do all of your aerial options.) The distance is about 3/4 of FD. You can use it to recover from the bottom corners, or even mix up your landing on the stage. Down side is, that it consumes the double jump, no matter which method you use.

There are two ways of doing this: Use down b and quickly flicking the c-stick up or to the side, which is very easy. The second method uses side B, and rolling your thumb to the A button after releasing the B button. The timing on this is stricter, but it's the only way to do it on an original 3DS. Interestingly, you can spinshot from the ground only by using this method, but you still use up a double jump.

Only things to look out for when doing this is keeping track of your double jumps. If you accidentally used one, or didn't pay attention, you're guaranteed to SD unless you're using this technique from very high up. Of course if you mess up the timing (Easy to mess up using Side B+A, hard to mess up using Down B+C-Stick), you don't get that boost, and slightly gimp yourself.

I saw a bunch of comments about Sonic having a less than stellar horizontal recovery, and I hope this technique gets considered.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Charizard should be significantly higher.

At least B tier.

He can recover from almost anywhere with the right combination of Flare Blitz, Fly and Mid Air jumps.

Horizontally recovery should never be a problem for him.

CptPuff

Smash Cadet
NNID
SonicHero007
3DS FC
3566-1570-4128
Seen way, way too many Lucario's up-b right to the blastzone to like his recovery much lol

Browny

Smash Hater
Luigis recovery is awful, why is it rated so high. Look at him trying to recover vs sheik and tell me he has a better time well... anyone above F tier.

And I see Mewtwo is still in the same tier as Rosalina. Mewtwos side-b hop alone puts him in the higher tiers, no way he should be sharing a tier with recoveries that are completely vulnerable with no invincibility.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Luigis recovery is awful, why is it rated so high. Look at him trying to recover vs sheik and tell me he has a better time well... anyone above F tier.

And I see Mewtwo is still in the same tier as Rosalina. Mewtwos side-b hop alone puts him in the higher tiers, no way he should be sharing a tier with recoveries that are completely vulnerable with no invincibility.
Mewtwo's would be better if teleport worked like it should, half the time it either bounces off or doesn't snap.
Also almost every recovery looks bad against Sheik.

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
I've played Mewtwo for about 40 or so hours, and in that time once...

ONCE have I bounced off the ledge, and that was my fault on omega boxing ring where that lip can mess up a lot of recoveries. People bouncing off the ledge is entirely their fault for coming in at the wrong angle. No one forces people to recover from under the stage, mewtwos sideb hop and huge DJ mean he should never be there. No one calls ZSS' recovery bad when she is under the stage, since she should never be there.

It doesnt snap in the same way that other recoveries dont snap, its called it wasnt spaced right.

Honestly its no different to people using Sonics upb from right near the ledge and complaining it didnt snap. It was just done wrong and thats it.

Last edited:

NewZen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NewZen41

Because most Luigi mains aren't going to spam the jump button immediately upon being knocked off the stage, considering that rising Cyclone is pivotal for suitable (And safe) recovery. Hell, using the Missile about twice may net some distance or a Misfire and then the ability to initiate a Rising Cyclone that can only be challenged by so much.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I'm repeating it, but this thread shows jump heights including their doublejumps & some of their Up Specials. Some notes:

The characters with the shortest doublejump are:
100/75 & 100/100 :4miisword:, :4gaw:, :4littlemac:, :4link:, :4ganondorf:, :4drmario:, :4feroy:, :4ryu:, 100/75 & 100/100 :4miigun:, and the 50/X & 75/X :4miisword: sets. I feel that these results can slightly affect their current placement on the Recovery Rankings list.

The characters with the highest doublejump are:
:4mewtwo:, :4yoshi:, :4falco:, Jump:4shulk:, :4greninja:, :4ness:, :4luigi:, :rosalina:, :4diddy:, :4sheik:, :4zss:, :4lucas:, 0/0 & 0/25 & 0/50 :4miibrawl:, and 0/0 :4miigun:. I feel that these results can slightly affect their current placement on the Recovery Rankings list.

It's also notable to mention that Up Specials have better vertical height to their recovery airborne than grounded, such as :4luigi:'s Super Jump Punch. :4dedede:'s Super Dedede Jump also travels higher airborne than grounded by a larger amount than :4luigi:'s Up Special.

And finally, a previous patch to :4miisword:'s Skyward Slash Dash improved its recovering, that it's far better to use than Hero's Spin. **2* is fantastic, as SSD is basically :4falco:'s Fire Bird but slightly better recovery. Right now, :4miisword: *22* is under E tier, but I feel it can replace the **3* set in D tier. The beauty about it all, is that the SSD move doesn't decrease or increase with a certain X/X set, so you could roll a tiny & thin swordsman having better-than-average air speed with a great recovery like SSD.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Charizard should be significantly higher. At least B tier. He can recover from almost anywhere with the right combination of Flare Blitz, Fly and Mid Air jumps. Horizontally recovery should never be a problem for him.
I don't know just how much higher Zard's current ranking could be raised, but I know & feel that his current D ranking is silly given the recovering potential he has. It's like you said, Zard's tools being Flare Blitz, Fly, & two midair jumps, he's got quite a lot more options to assist his recovery back to the stage horizontally & vertically. The only things keeping Zard back from being too high is his poor air speed & poor air acceleration values plus he has loads of commitment using Flare Blitz. There are moments Zard overshoots or undershoots the ledge's level & zooms past it not snapping to the ledge on top of the possibility that he'll come in contact with either a shield or someone's last-moment airdodge or item thrown at Zard's FB pattern to disrupt it. Thankfully though, Zard also has a relatively slow fall speed so it's also assisting him along the way. And by the Jump Rankings testing for Zard's triplejump, it actually travels some height albeit isn't much. Still though, it's something. However, Charizard is one of the worst multi-jumping characters & it's not because he only has two midair jumps unlike Pit & Dark Pit who have three. Charizard to me along with Meta Knight are two of the worst multi-jumping characters because they rise vertical height expending one midair jump, but then if you hold or mash the jump button to use their next midair jump, they pause a bit longer because they're descending which makes them lose some of that vertical height they gained from the previous midair jump. This particularly doesn't matter if you're being cautious & patient with your jumps coming back to the stage, but once Zard gets launched away or meteor'd downward to the point you have to mash your jump button is where this midair jump flaw really shows.

So right now, Zard to me could definitely get out of D tier & make it at least in C tier to be around Bowser Jr. & Falco. Him having that much recovery potential & being in D tier alongside Palutena Bowser and DK makes me think he's out of place there. It could be like you said in that he could be at least B tier, but I may just stay safe & propose he can be C tier at the least.

Honestly I can understand why Zard gets B tier if he does, I just feel his midair jump concept & the rate of how much Flare Blitz loses to projectiles put in his way stop his tracks hard. Recoiling & falling backward potentially ruins & gimps himself.

Last edited:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
How is :4sonic: not in S tier? His recovery is invincible almost the entire duration and he can go mega low to recover.

:018:

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Ness is too high, lots of characters below him that have much better recoveries.

Top Bottom