• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recommendations? (Video)

smasher91613

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I played melee yesterday with someone better than me for the first time in like...ever lol. I'm not even that good compared to most people here, just a lot better than the casual player.

Anyway it was definitely fun, I have a 30 sec. video so I'm hoping I can get some critiques on it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9-bKETSols

it's really bad quality but maybe enough to get some ideas. We were actually really close for some of the matches but the first and especially the last match I got ***** lol

Thanks

wool

Smash Ace
I couldn't see a thing.
But I did see phantasms when you were like an inch away from the stage.
Either DI to grab the ledge or cancel the phantasm so you don't run right into Marth's sword.

LLDL

Smash Hero
You do smash attacks a little too often. Just because your opponent may have high percentage, you should keep him on his toes, he'll be expecting smashes.

Your recovery, you need to work on your aim. I think I saw 3 times in the video where your opponent was not near the edge, and you used the phantasm to set yourself up for him by missing the ledge.

Also, you need way more lazers. You can't just lazer for a little bit, then get tired and go in for standard attacks, you need to consistently lazer for openings. The duration between when you stop lazering and when you approach was way too large. It should be less than a second.

I could write up a page of crituqe, but the clip was too short and abit out of focuse for me to fully understand your habits. You'll also need more than one match. Post some, and you'll get much more and helpful crituqes, trust me.

smasher91613

Smash Journeyman
I couldn't see a thing.
But I did see phantasms when you were like an inch away from the stage.
Either DI to grab the ledge or cancel the phantasm so you don't run right into Marth's sword.
Thanks I did notice that about the phantasms, how do I cancel them once I've started? I've done it by accident before but don't really know how

WD OoS to punish smash happy Marths
Sorry what's Oos?

You do smash attacks a little too often. Just because your opponent may have high percentage, you should keep him on his toes, he'll be expecting smashes.

Your recovery, you need to work on your aim. I think I saw 3 times in the video where your opponent was not near the edge, and you used the phantasm to set yourself up for him by missing the ledge.

Also, you need way more lazers. You can't just lazer for a little bit, then get tired and go in for standard attacks, you need to consistently lazer for openings. The duration between when you stop lazering and when you approach was way too large. It should be less than a second.

I could write up a page of crituqe, but the clip was too short and abit out of focuse for me to fully understand your habits. You'll also need more than one match. Post some, and you'll get much more and helpful crituqes, trust me.
Thanks a lot man, definitely stuff I'm realizing now that you're pointing it out. He also commented how I like to kill with smash attacks, I guess thats because I'm just trying to go for the kill and I stuck at tilts so I'll work on that. Also falco seems to have pretty sucky killing ability other than some smashes

It's funny because he was saying how annoying the lasers were and I've had an inexperienced Roy say that too, now I guess I'm gonna be even more annoying :D

I had another 2 videos but they were both of the same match, next time we play I'll try to get some more but unfortunately I don't think the quality can be much better

OK so basically things I need to work out for now
1. More lasers
2. Better phantasm aiming
3. Less smashes near the end of his lives
4. WD Oos?

wool

Smash Ace
How to cancel the phantasm:

start the phantasm (side-b)
right when you know you are going to move hit b again. the timing is easy, but you may need to get used to it first.

sometimes I mash b as fast as i can. Though you shouldn't get into a habit of doing this.

If that didn't make any sense to you then here:
anytime during the phantasm animation if you click b, you stop it.

smasher91613

Smash Journeyman
How to cancel the phantasm:

start the phantasm (side-b)
right when you know you are going to move hit b again. the timing is easy, but you may need to get used to it first.

sometimes I mash b as fast as i can. Though you shouldn't get into a habit of doing this.

If that didn't make any sense to you then here:
anytime during the phantasm animation if you click b, you stop it.
anytime? OK well thanks I'll try that next time I get a chance to play

brg

Smash Ace
thats like 30 seconds of gameplay

learn to pillar?

luno

Smash Rookie
in addition to what everyone else said so far, you also need to master/use more advanced techniques. the most important out of these would be

SHL
JC Shine
Waveshine
Pillar
Wavedash Out of shield

you can look up how to do these, i dont need to explain them to you. basically, the shine is the cornerstone of falco gameplay and his ultimate combo-starter. his ultimate combo, likewise, is the pillar - where you shine, jump-cancel so you jump to the level of your just-shined opponent, dair, l-cancel, and repeat. the waveshine is useful for following the DI of your opponent after your shine and looking flashy, and, well, you already know how and why to SHL.

Your opponent is really smash-happy. figure out ways to get around this. maybe running up and shielding will allow you to punish the lag from either a smash or a grab? if he smashes, run in / wd in to a shine. if he grabs, you can WD oos backwards, and punish or laser. stop using your smashes, because compared to marf, they're short range. he can simply WD back and tipper you with a smash while you're in lag. work on shield pressure so that once he's in shield you can force him into getting shined/intimidate him. you can use the "mango method" which i believe is SH nair -> JC shine -> SH nair. falco's grabs don't really lead into anything but you can grab him out of his shield as well.

upload more footage in better quality....

also take my suggestions with a grain of salt, i'm waiting for a more experienced person to come in and tell me to stfu

unknown522

Some guy
Hey guys, I played melee yesterday with someone better than me for the first time in like...ever lol. I'm not even that good compared to most people here, just a lot better than the casual player.

Anyway it was definitely fun, I have a 30 sec. video so I'm hoping I can get some critiques on it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9-bKETSols

it's really bad quality but maybe enough to get some ideas. We were actually really close for some of the matches but the first and especially the last match I got ***** lol

Thanks
needs more laser.

Don't full jump so much, you're always a sitting duck when you full jump close to your opponent.

Use more wavedash in general. More likely going backwards, so that you can shoot more lasers.

Short hop when you are close to your opponents and work on your combo game.

Up-throw is better than down-throw.

Deathgazer

Smash Ace
Dont do Stationery lasering, it takes time to perfect moving lasers but its worth it.
like instead of stationery lasers, you could go forward and back and space it out a little so if he approaches you, you could retreat laser so he cant Fsmash you.

Also when you do a Double Jump, try to Fast fall it. maybe like do a full jump, fast full a little, do a second jump and fast fall Dair.

smasher91613

Smash Journeyman
Dont do Stationery lasering, it takes time to perfect moving lasers but its worth it.
like instead of stationery lasers, you could go forward and back and space it out a little so if he approaches you, you could retreat laser so he cant Fsmash you.

Also when you do a Double Jump, try to Fast fall it. maybe like do a full jump, fast full a little, do a second jump and fast fall Dair.
Thanks, I know how to move while lasering so I'll just have to work on getting better at it. I'll try the jumping idea as a change of pace from what I normally do and what would be expected

Top Bottom