• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reality 64: A Smash 64 Mod For Brawl [Not Quite The End | Page 26]

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
I can definitely see up and down throws being implemented, but only if they have the same shackles that keep 64's original throws from being broken based on hitstun-based chaingrabs: Throw Distance. If throws are given that same extreme power as 64, I can see them fitting right in, as their chaingrabbing ability would be negated due to the thrown having enough time to be free of stun and adapt.

Last edited:

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
IMO no pummel, no u/d throw, no sideb, no airdodge. thanks. you have at least 4 other kinds of smash games for that, and if you want a combo heavy game with all of that play brawl -

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
IMO no pummel, no u/d throw, no sideb, no airdodge. thanks. you have at least 4 other kinds of smash games for that, and if you want a combo heavy game with all of that play brawl -
Also, if you want no air dodges, wall techs, pummels, side b's, smooth animation, evolved and crazy cool new characters, sweet new music and fan inspiration, might I recommend the ORIGINAL Smash 64? Besides, if you love it as it is in it's pure, untouched, sterile glory, why would you be lurking in a mod thread good sir. XD
(Yeah, I though you said Brawl at first in my original post, my apologies.)

If I want a combo heavy game with all that, I play PM. BUT, I'd like you to show me an INSANELY combo heavy game with tons of all-star character (beyond 12 in otherwords), loads of playable stages, items, insane fan customization potential,new and never before seen metagame revolving around tons of moves and possibilities, and constantly active threads supporting a brave new breed of modders giving a fresh coat of features and aesthetics to a game from the 90's. There ain't no Smash game like that m8.

Brawl - is k, but it's unorganized and lacks inspiration in development from a dedicated group m8.

Last edited:

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
I would actually like the removal of side B. As a Luigi/Yoshi player in 64, I like nothing more than using my B while recovering without a few frames of lost momentum. It wouldn't feel the same otherwise.

but I'm open minded and would try either way

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I'm a bit conflicted myself. On the one hand having an extra move gives us more options to work with and those are always nice, but on the other hand having restricted (but powerful) offensive options alongside limited and weak defensive options is part of what gives Smash 64 its unique flavor. I'm leaning towards the side of not having side specials myself, but I could sway either way.

Sluigi123

R64/Brawl- Dev; AI Coder; Balancer
NNID
Sluigi123
KnitePhox might be right about it, Brawl- has the hitstun similar to 64, side specials from the non-Smash-64 games, and more unique-ness to each character, and are more powerful than Brawl's Metaknight, causing the entire roster to be a bunch of different "Akuma's" pretty much.

Our team is trying to make Reality 64 as close to Smash 64 as possible, as a start; once we reach to that point, we'll bring out a demo of it, so we can get feedback to further balance the original 12, add stages/characters into the roster at a steady pace, and [add/remove] [new/old] things here and there, until we feel like it's done.

- - - - We still need model animators in our team. If you're one of them and would like to help, please PM me, YoungSora, or the other members listed in the OP to let us know. Thank you. - - - -

The Pizza Guy

Smash Apprentice
I would actually like the removal of side B. As a Luigi/Yoshi player in 64, I like nothing more than using my B while recovering without a few frames of lost momentum. It wouldn't feel the same otherwise.

but I'm open minded and would try either way
I just got an idea, since there will be no airdodging, how about holding L while airborne and pressing B will make you do nuetral special regardless of what direction you are pressing on the control stick.
I also wouldn't mind either way though.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
KnitePhox might be right about it, Brawl- has the hitstun similar to 64, side specials from the non-Smash-64 games, and more unique-ness to each character, and are more powerful than Brawl's Metaknight, causing the entire roster to be a bunch of different "Akuma's" pretty much.

Our team is trying to make Reality 64 as close to Smash 64 as possible, as a start; once we reach to that point, we'll bring out a demo of it, so we can get feedback to further balance the original 12, add stages/characters into the roster at a steady pace, and [add/remove] [new/old] things here and there, until we feel like it's done.

- - - - We still need model animators in our team. If you're one of them and would like to help, please PM me, YoungSora, or the other members listed in the OP to let us know. Thank you. - - - -
I'm up for some animation work. I can work on some move recreations and shoot you guys a sample of what I can do. ;)

PS: Any ideas as to where I can find some 64 frame data ala a Standardtoaster guide?

Last edited:

Sluigi123

NNID
Sluigi123
I'm up for some animation work. I can work on some move recreations and shoot you guys a sample of what I can do. ;)

PS: Any ideas as to where I can find some 64 frame data ala a Standardtoaster guide?
I'm actually working on the frame data right now. XD
You can give me an example of one of Mario's moves that is in Smash 64 only, via PM'ing me. If I like it, I'll let my team members know about it, ASAP.

There is a frame data, along side with the moveset. It's broken in two parts. The moveset is somewhat organized, but it's hardly readable, which is why I'm putting both types of data into one, and make it simpler, and readable for my team. Huge credit for Madao, and Toomai for their hard work. ;)
Moveset Data: http://smashboards.com/threads/moveset-data-thread-chart-updated-dec-04-12.329221/#post-15745321
Frame Data: http://smashboards.com/threads/compilation-of-technical-frame-data.325142/

Last edited:

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Well, I havn't really the knowledge of how to take away that fire blast on forward smash, so I guess I'll send you guys a recreation of a 64 forward air. Thanks for all this frame data too man, that's gigantic help!

Edit: I'm in middle of a rough frame by frame of the back air as my demo, and it's coming along nicely! When it's to my liking I'll get rid of the unneeded twitches etc that animating by mouse is leaving me with. Also, once I add the cartoon-stretch to this it should look to have a good "Oomph" in the animation. ;)

Last edited:

Sluigi123

NNID
Sluigi123
Well, I havn't really the knowledge of how to take away that fire blast on forward smash, so I guess I'll send you guys a recreation of a 64 forward air. Thanks for all this frame data too man, that's gigantic help!
The fire blast is in the GFX folder in the "AttackS4..." folders of the Mario.pac file.

Not a problem. ;)

Last edited:

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Here's a look at the (still rough and a bit twitchy, and lacking comedic cartoon-stretch) back air. Still a WIP

@ Sluigi123 Sluigi123 , sorry for not PM'ing this, I'll make sure you get the first look and judging on the refined version.

Edit: I'm off to sleep for some work I have in the morning, but I'll catch up to you folks for a look at a refined product.

Moar Editz: Given the fact that Mario has a near all kick/foot-based aerial game, I was thinking he could have a small Super Mario Galaxy style 1-2turn spin for a NAir. It could work identically to the 64 one in strength and frame activity, but it would serve as a nice little mixup to his aerial game. Ugh, I'm already getting ahead of myself. Just an idea I thought I'd get out of the way.

Last edited:

Vale

Smash Ace
move data and animations?

this is really coming along. these were our major setbacks
it still won't be perfect (e.g. first release is likely to have "no stale moves" as an alternative to brawl's stale moves rather than a working system of 64's stale moves), but i'm getting pretty excited

minor update: we tested a sample move with the changes and confirmed it didn't crash the game. this means barring our charts being majorly off, we'll be making serious progress on the cast very soon

Last edited:

Sluigi123

NNID
Sluigi123
Last edited:

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Guys, is there a decent way I can get some interpolation in BrawlBox? I expect to switch to a better animation program eventually, but for the time being that would help get hese twitches out. After that's squared away, I plan on exaggerating the wind up for the kick and adding 'dem stretchy feet for the purpose of adding some power to the animations look.

Edit: I'll go look through some guides, since I also want some perfect symmetry on on both sides.
Another Edit: Well, I was putting in key frames, came back to a ruined first frame and everything in between (Me and BrawlBox Animation are breaking up IRL). I'm going to restart in Maya and talk to you guys when I'm not stuck in a real mess.

Last edited:

Zoa

Smash Ace
Holy ****. I just found out about this. I'm so getting this. Phox, it's Zoa. What kind of PC you think I'd need to emulate this? Currently got $400 saved up.

Hellkrai

Smash Rookie
NNID
HellkraiNNID
3DS FC
0748-4330-7424
Can I get a T-shirt with that sexy logo? I'd wear that more than my Project M shirt

Josiah Virgil

Smash Cadet
What kind of models do you need? Also, I encourage you to enlist the help of the team who are currently trying to make a PSA for Banjo and Kazooie. They would fit perfectly in this mod.

Smash4Kart8

Smash Rookie
For Me, a big thing is have C-stick Smashing like in Melee Versus, and all of Brawl (no charging like in U's). As for airdodging... I think that I want it. Side Bs... yeah, I want them.

shock394

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0662-4811-1157
For Me, a big thing is have C-stick Smashing like in Melee Versus, and all of Brawl (no charging like in U's). As for airdodging... I think that I want it. Side Bs... yeah, I want them.
Since they already placed codes on the first page, they're already set on what they are doing. So some of the stuff you mentioned will not be there.

Josiah Virgil

Smash Cadet
Make sure you also get the less obvious things like no frame buffer and /64-esque knockback stacking.

Also when the time comes to make PSAs on our own, remember that Smash 64 is big on lingering hitboxes.

Last edited:

Smash4Kart8

Smash Rookie
Since they already placed codes on the first page, they're already set on what they are doing. So some of the stuff you mentioned will not be there.
Ah, it's hidden in that second spoiler thing. Thanks for prompting Me to find it. It doesn't mention anything about C-smashing, or side Bs, or at least I didn't see it (the first spoiler thing doesn't show anything). I'm okay with no airdodging, and I can live without side Bs, but I really want them. Having C stick smashing is a huuuuuuge deal, though.

Jackpot08

Smash Apprentice
Ah, it's hidden in that second spoiler thing. Thanks for prompting Me to find it. It doesn't mention anything about C-smashing, or side Bs, or at least I didn't see it (the first spoiler thing doesn't show anything). I'm okay with no airdodging, and I can live without side Bs, but I really want them. Having C stick smashing is a huuuuuuge deal, though.

Why? the gameplay in 64 is so much slower you do not need c-stick smashing. If youve played it enough you know that side a is just as good. Plus it would take away from it.

I think c stick should be disabled and side B's should be considered after a release without it.

Sluigi123

NNID
Sluigi123
Why? the gameplay in 64 is so much slower you do not need c-stick smashing. If youve played it enough you know that side a is just as good. Plus it would take away from it.

I think c stick should be disabled and side B's should be considered after a release without it.
I'm thinking of keeping the C-Shticking...

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Yeah, I'm going to have to keep in a vote for ye good ol' shee-shtick attacks here lads. Even if the offense in 64 isn't quite as speedy, it's good to have an directional attack option that doesn't influence your movement. Plus, we already have 3 possible jump commands (X,Y, and Tap), so I think were covered there. :/

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
oh yeah, will stick jumps be implemented? in 64 when you jump using the control stick, you jump a bit higher than just using c

Sluigi123

NNID
Sluigi123
oh yeah, will stick jumps be implemented? in 64 when you jump using the control stick, you jump a bit higher than just using c
Not sure if it was even implemented into Brawl in the first place, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it, since Brawl is running off of another engine that is not similar to SSB64's. =/

I'm only sticking with the values of the height of the jumps when you use the C-Buttons on the N64 controllers.

Vale

Smash Ace
knitephox is right to bring up stick-jumping, though. there are certain combos that require specific height jumps to do, especially with fox and platforms. it's definitely worth looking into implementing, but technical difficulty in doing so might end up similar to project m's quest for lightshields.

all of the finer points definitely will need to be addressed at some point to get it to really feel like 64, and i think that's the main reason people have been advocating getting high-level players on the team. they're the ones that will really be able to tell what's wrong--and this is currently something i've seen multiple people express concerns about. the next step from a design standpoint is to start getting opinions from these players as soon as we get our character move data implemented imo (other non-design things, e.g. a trailer, might come first though).

small update, work on mario is going alright. sluigi has a lot of the data set up and i've gone through a sight majority of it. aerials are being a bit trickier, i think mostly because of how they've changed over the games--for instance, one of his moves has less hitboxes in brawl, and my current solutions that would add the neded ones corrupt the file due to the file becoming larger.

The Pizza Guy

Smash Apprentice
small update, work on mario is going alright. sluigi has a lot of the data set up and i've gone through a sight majority of it. aerials are being a bit trickier, i think mostly because of how they've changed over the games--for instance, one of his moves has less hitboxes in brawl, and my current solutions that would add the neded ones corrupt the file due to the file becoming larger.
Maybe you could make one of his other moves have less hitboxes so the file is the right size? (I don't know how brawl modding works so please don't scold me because I'm wrong).

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Sooooooo.....when can we really start talking about this mod? I know alot of you must be taking time to let the holidays wind down, but if we want to have a Brawl mod we need to really get organized. :/

Top Bottom