• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reality 64: A Smash 64 Mod For Brawl [Not Quite The End | Page 26]

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
i can potentially record new arrangements for this project (zelda songs, mario songs, pokemon, etc) for free

here's some of my own music: sedda.bandcamp.com (all of this is videogame themed music pretty much)

if you like my stuff and would want me to do music for this, my only stipulation would be to let @Morin0 in your team (he's NEAR from the WC) so that he can offer input on character balance.
Yeah your work is good for what it is trying to accomplish, just send me an arrangement of a song and I'll see what I can do with getting you into the team.

Dsc

Smash Ace
What is a Super Smash Bros. 64 style, though? Every song in the game is different in style. Do you mean replicate the MIDI instruments used for the game as close as possible? Or keep the game arrangements but change it all to a completely different genre? I don't think making the music entirely based off of the sound from the game is a good idea since the N64 midi's didn't age well at all. Im not trying to corner you or anything, just wanna be absolutely sure of what you need.

I play 64 religiously so this is just something I'd really love to do for fun. This is my YouTube channel www.youtube.com/dscaccount if you need some idea.

Last edited:

Rage83

Smash Ace
What is a Super Smash Bros. 64 style, though? Every song in the game is different in style. Do you mean replicate the MIDI instruments used for the game as close as possible? Or keep the game arrangements but change it all to a completely different genre? I don't think making the music entirely based off of the sound from the game is a good idea since the N64 midi's didn't age well at all. Im not trying to corner you or anything, just wanna be absolutely sure of what you need.

I play 64 religiously so this is just something I'd really love to do for fun. This is my YouTube channel www.youtube.com/dscaccount if you need some idea.
It would probably be something like this remastered Dreamland track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_JqosgIBdw
Skip to 7 (?) seconds to avoid the bad channel intro.

Last edited:

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace

Of course it would be nice to have it sound like their instruments in Smash 64, but at the same time we would like to spice it up as well. Then again you can go down to even SNES instruments, or NES as well.

Dsc

Smash Ace
Of course it would be nice to have it sound like their instruments in Smash 64, but at the same time we would like to spice it up as well. Then again you can go down to even SNES instruments, or NES as well.
No worries. Ill chuck up something for the OoT middle boss battle theme and send it to ya soon.

Dos efes

Smash Cadet
Sorry if I missed this in the OP, but will characters get their N64 models and skins?

Amazing work, btw, keep it up!

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
So looking a bit into the future, how do you plan to redesign Olimar to work with no sspecs?

For the record, I totally support the idea of MIDI music for the soundtrack. There are a lot of really talented MIDI composers out there, and having a whole soundtrack of the stuff would be awesome.

Do you plan to design more 64-style stages? I feel like it would be pretty true to the spirit of the project to have one stage for each franchise.

Last edited:

Luddoj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luddoj
This Project sounds really promising. I had never heard of it until this very day and now that I know I'm hyped. I hope one day this mod becomes the next big thing after Project M. It would be fun to see this at national or at least regional tournaments, and be popular all around the world.

Good luck and take your time. I'm sure that the wait will be very worth it.

Fordacious

Smash Rookie
Interested in helping out with coding if I have the time. Currently quite busy but I'll see what I can do. Was going to start by making a few changes to dophin to make code modding / reverse engineering easier.

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
I don't know what it means to you, but I can loop music into brstm, seeing as how I've made tons of music packs for Project M and Brawl.

sushifreAk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cyb3Rnite
3DS FC
4554-0880-9460
I'll probably be available after Christmas to attempt making a Project M-esque menu skin, and possibly a new logo since I like Photoshop and I have nothing better to do on the holidays.

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
  • Dream Land
    No Wind.
I... think I might reconsider that point. I made a competitive stage pack for Project M a little while ago, and I had initially done just this - remove the wind from Dreamland.

Let's just say people were not happy with that decision.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
If it's alright with you folks, I'd like to join the team. I'd be happy to help in this quest of moveset matchery!

PS: @ TheRealHeroOfWinds TheRealHeroOfWinds , Is there any place potential team members could meet up? It would really help to have a place where we could discuss just how faithful animations and aesthetics should be to 64.

Last edited:

Jackpot08

Smash Apprentice
i'm really glad someone decided to post this on reddit and get the attention it deserves ;)

Last edited:

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
If you decide to add more stages, I could help sketch up some designs.

ImThatGuy

Smash Cadet
This project is very interesting ! I love 64 and PM, so its pretty cool to see someone make this project a reality (badum-tssss), with P:M, it's notable that the project is "Melee-inspired" and not Melee 1:1, so is this meant to be 64 with brawl roster or "64 inspired" (either one would be amazing btw im just bringing this up out of curiosity). If its the latter, I think you could definitely take aspects from other smash games or your own personal ideas, and apply them here. An example being side-b's, which honestly, could be seen as improvement over original 64, and makes balancing easier and makes Olimar possible to be added without being completely different lol. Just some food for thought I guess, but I appreciate the project no matter where you take it

Also to go back to the side b's and other aspects from other smash games, when you think about what PM is, it takes the best from melee and brawl and puts it into a melee paced game. The thing that really made that work was that brawl and melee were both complicated but different games, each one with there own style and techs, which left them with so much to flesh out and differentiate characters ( look at Lucas for example!). 64 on the other hand, while a competitive game, is much more direct and doesnt have as many advanced techs or mechanics that other iterations had ( not saying this is a bad design, thats just how it was). Now without these mechanics, its going to be much more difficult to keep the cast fresh, but this is where your own input comes in.

1. Dont stick to keeping the og 12 1:1 with the 64 counterparts, tone down what needs to be toned down, bring in important move changes to characters if needed, an example of a difficulty would be the space animals, you may have to switch Fox over to Melee lasers when you bring Falco in, to keep them unique and switching Falco's lasers to be like Melee Fox's doesn't really fit with Falco's style of play or kit

2. Keep melee and brawl vets somewhat faithful to how they play in their best iteration, but balanced out for 64, exceptions being if it doesnt fit with 64's style (cough Lucario), it'll make the game more accessible to those who want to try out the game with someone familiar.

3. Be original when needed, but dont go overboard, dont lose sight of what the project is supposed to be. Just always remember what comes to mind when you think of Smash 64 and just dont mess with the core idea behind it

Im sure this can be a fantastic project with a little work, but dont be afraid to not make a 1;1 reproduction of smash 64 and if you think my ideas are stupid and dont want to implement them..... well its your project not mine, just wanted to give input and i look forward to playing it in the future

TL;DR: read it, its important;]

Last edited:

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I would be really disappointed if Fox got Melee lasers, to be honest. And I don't necessarily want everyone to be ported 1:1 from Smash 64 either, but I think you should keep their general kits the same and apply buffs and nerfs as needed. Giving Fox a different type of laser would affect the way I play the character, just as an example.

As for the issue with Falco, you could evolve the character in a different direction than Fox, couldn't you? I'm not sure what exactly you would give him, but maybe you could pull some ideas from the Smash 4 custom moves for both character's lasers.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
In the AMA, he sort of insinuated he'd like to give Falco his sspec as his new nspec to differentiate him from Fox. It would definitely be an interesting way to do it.

Sickolas

Smash Apprentice
In the AMA, he sort of insinuated he'd like to give Falco his sspec as his new nspec to differentiate him from Fox. It would definitely be an interesting way to do it.
Just imagining falco's shine with 64's hitstun makes me scared.

Ticker

Smash Apprentice
Have to agree with what others have been saying. I don't want a direct port of 64. Things added in future games like s-specials should be kept in my opinion. The only thing I really want is the combo heavy game that 64 was.

ImThatGuy

Smash Cadet
Have to agree with what others have been saying. I don't want a direct port of 64. Things added in future games like s-specials should be kept in my opinion. The only thing I really want is the combo heavy game that 64 was.
This^. 64 is a pretty simple game and this worked because of the simple roster, adding 25+ characters to that though makes it a complex roster with a simple game, which wont work out well imo, I feel just focusing on the combo heavy core should be the main focus, but adding some content from future installments on the series will make it an enhanced version of 64, which would work better than having to radically change up characters from their original design to make them more unique

ImThatGuy

Smash Cadet
because when back-porting melee and brawl characters into a 64 environment, many things that made them unique disappear. one example is looking at Mario and Luigi in 64, then again in melee, where simply adding side specials completely changed the character's play style and made them feel much more fleshed out and unique. If the plan is to get the entire Brawl roster in this project, then why not add another BALANCED option to make the characters more unique without completely changing the characters from the iteration they were introduced in? (emphasis on balanced because marth up throw on fox with 64 hitstun gives me nightmares). While there is the option of just completely remaking the character with different moves (the falco having sspec for regular special example) you're kinda just limiting accessibility for new players that are used to melee or brawl falco in trade for keeping the mechanics as close to 64 as possible.

TL;DR: If it doesn't mess with the core of 64's combo heavy game play (so no to airdodges and etc) and expands the uniqueness and accessibility of the characters, why not have it? 4 special moves might even be a blessing to 64's style, we'll never know till we try and we have the possibility to try, shouldn't we take it ?

Sedda

Smash Champion
im not saying that they shouldnt add side b's. im against down/up throws (because i think they would be way overpowered and all the meta would revolve around grabs only), airdodging (because it would completely change the neutral and it wouldnt be 64 anymore).

im questioning you because you still havent explained your reasoning well. for example, adding side specials to mario and luigi from 64 to melee is definitely not what changed their playstyle. that has more to do with general melee mechanics.

edit- i want side b's btw

Last edited:

ImThatGuy

Smash Cadet
im not saying that they shouldnt add side b's. im against down/up throws (because i think they would be way overpowered and all the meta would revolve around grabs only), airdodging (because it would completely change the neutral and it wouldnt be 64 anymore).

im questioning you because you still havent explained your reasoning well. for example, adding side specials to mario and luigi from 64 to melee is definitely not what changed their playstyle. that has more to do with general melee mechanics.

edit- i want side b's btw

oh no, I totally agree with the up throw and down throw being completely wack, I said that too, and with the Mario bros the different side b's were a large change in the recovery and offensive options, but melees different mechanics definitely played a role in differentiating the two I will admit

Last edited:

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Yeah, I'm really not up for the idea of stripping characters to 64 mechanics if it can be helped. This is a faze Project M had to experience as well, and in all honesty I'm extremely happy there's creative leniency there. Likewise, stuff like animation, music, and costumes don't need to be overly 64-ish either. I understand how some will vehemently claim that this must be a perfect recreation of "What makes 64 great", but I it's not necessarily those in my opinion, at least as they stand. If one is to pay respect to 64, wouldn't it be better to remaster it so that new players could look at this mod with as much "Awww"s, and "Sweet"s as the original players, while still enjoying the mayhem and combo craziness it offers?

Last edited:

ProfMak

Smash Rookie
I would personally like to see side b's and up and down throws.

I play mostly 64 and I love the hitstun and mechanics. It would be fantastic to have this movement but with more stages and more characters (sheik, peach, and marth would be great in 64 imo). I think that if this mod limited itself to just the 64 move set, it would be too close to 64, in which case I personally would rather play the original.

Think of the unique new combos that could be pulled off with 64 hitstun, along with up and down throws and new b specials, and to balance it out I would not mind seeing airdodges implemented as well to make this comboing much more difficult. I would also love to see link and samus's chain still work as a recovery, as it is completely badass and could make 64 style link even more awesome.

I would like to see the best of 64 (mechanics, taunt cancelling of course, combos) mixed with the best of melee/brawl (larger moveset for more creativity in comboing)

This may be just me, it seems like some people want to keep the exact moveset as 64, but I think the change to the full moveset with 64 mechanics would be a vast improvement

The Pizza Guy

Smash Apprentice
On the Reddit page they say that they will make the first demo as close to 64 as possible and use it as a reference to balancing and additional options in later versions. Demo 1.0 may not have side bs, but 1.1 could.

In my opinion, side specials would add to the experience of smash 64 by giving more options (Having raptor boost would give :falcon64:more recovery options) and would greatly contribute to making each character more unique. I don't think up and down throws should be implemented because with 64's hitstun four throws would make grabs gamebreaking, but having the ability to pummel would be nice. Those are my thoughts.

Top Bottom