• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reality 64: A Smash 64 Mod For Brawl [Not Quite The End | Page 26]

Hellkrai

Smash Rookie
NNID
HellkraiNNID
3DS FC
0748-4330-7424
Love the idea guys! If it goes well I'll try to get people to play it at our local get togethers

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
Hey guys look, we're not dead! In honor of Halloween we have a spooky surprise.

COMPETITIVE SAFFRON CITY! (It took me way too long to create this gif. Seriously Brawl Box needs a better gif system.)

Edit - Op updated with Saffron City info.

Last edited:

FrostByte7

Smash Rookie
I have some animation experience. But I worked in 3ds Max and now I really only have access to Blender (I'm guessing you guys are using Maya probably?). If you have a model rigged and ready to go I can try putting it through some animations. But how would I even get ahold of said model?

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I've been following this on and off for a while now, I've always wanted to see a follow up to 64, not enough people play that game.

My only issue with this layout is that it feels a bit too vanilla. One of my favorite aspects of the Smash 64 stages is that they had fun layouts without necessarily making them a pain to traverse, and even if we only use a couple stages for competitive play some of the others are still nice to play on.

What I would probably do is keep the original Silph Co building as the left side of the stage, and have the one platform connect it with the helipad instead. The moving platform could move from the top of the pokemon box to just beyond the edge of the stage.

If that's a little too weird, the moving platform could be centered above the stage as you already have it. Either way, I think you lose some of the flavor of the game if the stages lack some of the crazy wall combos that existed in the original.

Sluigi123

R64/Brawl- Dev; AI Coder; Balancer
NNID
Sluigi123
The Casual Saffron City will still have those wall combos, even the location of it is still the same. The way I made the competitve version is made to be either a neutral/counterpick stage for tournaments. Remember there'll be a causal version and a competitive version of each stage in this mod, meaning half 'n' half, and it's an win-win situation for casual/competitive players.

@ KeithTheGeek KeithTheGeek : I like your idea on the layout, but I'm sadly seeing more cons than pros, but there's some pros in it though.

EDIT: If you don't like one version of the stage, use the other.

Last edited:

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I think the main thing that seems off to me is having the original main platform stuck in the background like that. I guess it doesn't really feel organic enough? It's a bit hard to explain, but the stage as you have it now isn't actually bad, just a little "vanilla" as I put it.

Rage83

Smash Ace
The Casual Saffron City will still have those wall combos, even the location of it is still the same. The way I made the competitve version is made to be either a neutral/counterpick stage for tournaments. Remember there'll be a causal version and a competitive version of each stage in this mod, meaning half 'n' half, and it's an win-win situation for casual/competitive players.

@ KeithTheGeek KeithTheGeek : I like your idea on the layout, but I'm sadly seeing more cons than pros, but there's some pros in it though.
I'm still alive, just to let you guys know. My old PC died, and my new one needs some kind of card to take a wifi connection. Naturally, i'm typing this from a family member's PC again. Thanks, and goodbye for now.

Cedricwa

Smash Apprentice
Is this project still being worked on? If so, is there an estimation for a release date of a first demo? I am super excited for this to actually happen, ssb 64 is my game, this would be a great mod.

Rage83

Smash Ace
Is this project still being worked on? If so, is there an estimation for a release date of a first demo? I am super excited for this to actually happen, ssb 64 is my game, this would be a great mod.
The project is still being worked on. As for a first demo, I suggested a kind of 0.35 demo, with what we have done for attributes and scaling for characters and stages.

Akira64

Smash Rookie
NNID
ikeda.justyn
Be proud. You guy scored yourself a fan from all the way out in Hawai'i. I'm sharing this thread and your Facebook page on my Facebook.

Sluigi123

R64/Brawl- Dev; AI Coder; Balancer
NNID
Sluigi123
I think the main thing that seems off to me is having the original main platform stuck in the background like that. I guess it doesn't really feel organic enough? It's a bit hard to explain, but the stage as you have it now isn't actually bad, just a little "vanilla" as I put it.
No worries, the stages that are being shown off is still in the works. Right now, as far as I know for the competitive version of Saffron City, I did move the main building in the background moved up more, and brightened it a little, so it represents the background.

EDIT: Give me any feedback on the stages that have been shown off as of right now, so I can these situations more flexible to make the stage better. ;)

Last edited:

The Pizza Guy

Smash Apprentice
Would it be possible to give the tent in Hyrule a big hole in the front wall so players can see what they're doing inside of it better? That always bothered me whenever I play on that stage in Smash 64.

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
Project M did a really cool remake of hyrule for 3.5.
Did you know we actually have a Project M member aboard the team?

While I have been updating the OP with our new members, I never talked about them in just replies.

Our newest members that I haven't mentioned:

Mewtwo2000* (stages)
EverythingSmash*
Gene (character art and textures) I hope to show some of his work soon enough!
Furil* (sss icons and music)
Tock (models and animation)
WindozeNT (website)
ClubbyBear (sss icons)

* - inactive as of recent

meshiach

Smash Rookie
Wow! I can't believe I've never heard of this. I got so excited I read the whole thread and it sounds like you guys are doing awesome work. I hope you take your time and don't push anything out before it's ready. One thing that came up a lot was balancing--I hope you guys opt to hold off on the balancing to start with. Obviously, with any fighting game with more than one character there are going to be tiers, but 64 is actually super balanced (even more than PM). I'm not saying slight tweaks wouldn't hurt--Ness could use a buff to his recovery, to pick an easy example--just that early on it might put your core audience (hardcore ssb fans) off if you make big balance changes from the get-go, especially considering in vanilla ssb even the low tiers can be tournament threats in the right hands (see: Isai, Jouseke, etc.).

That's just my opinion though, you guys are the ones who are putting in the work and I hope you keep it up. This is seriously awesome that you guys have kept this up for as long as you have.

Obskore

Smash Ace
i'm glad a thread like this got you hyped enough to create an account and post your advice right away!
welcome to smashboards! :D

Rage83

Smash Ace
Wow! I can't believe I've never heard of this. I got so excited I read the whole thread and it sounds like you guys are doing awesome work. I hope you take your time and don't push anything out before it's ready. One thing that came up a lot was balancing--I hope you guys opt to hold off on the balancing to start with. Obviously, with any fighting game with more than one character there are going to be tiers, but 64 is actually super balanced (even more than PM). I'm not saying slight tweaks wouldn't hurt--Ness could use a buff to his recovery, to pick an easy example--just that early on it might put your core audience (hardcore ssb fans) off if you make big balance changes from the get-go, especially considering in vanilla ssb even the low tiers can be tournament threats in the right hands (see: Isai, Jouseke, etc.).

That's just my opinion though, you guys are the ones who are putting in the work and I hope you keep it up. This is seriously awesome that you guys have kept this up for as long as you have.
The balance changes haven't been too extreme to me. The last time I was updated on the subject, we had some four to six notable changes at most for characters. I will confess that this may change before release time, though. We also have people who have capture devices to get gameplay videos with now. I belive SLuigi is one of them, but I admittedly forgot who the other person was for the moment.

meshiach

Smash Rookie
i'm glad a thread like this got you hyped enough to create an account and post your advice right away!
welcome to smashboards! :D
Thanks! It's more that I've always primarily just used other forums; to be honest, I had an account here back in 2007 when I used gamefaqs a lot but I totally forget the account info. Nowadays I usually use /r/smashbros, and never really felt the need to make a new account--until I got so excited from this haha.

The balance changes haven't been too extreme to me. The last time I was updated on the subject, we had some four to six notable changes at most for characters. I will confess that this may change before release time, though. We also have people who have capture devices to get gameplay videos with now. I belive SLuigi is one of them, but I admittedly forgot who the other person was for the moment.
That sounds reasonable. I'll reserve my judgment until you guys reveal more info--and I'm presuming you'll be taking into account feedback from players once you release the first build anyways. So considering how early the project is even if you do make some balance changes it isn't like it's written in stone for all eternity, right?

Morin0

Smash Lord
Did you know we actually have a Project M member aboard the team?

While I have been updating the OP with our new members, I never talked about them in just replies.

Our newest members that I haven't mentioned:

Mewtwo2000* (stages)
EverythingSmash*
Gene (character art and textures) I hope to show some of his work soon enough!
Furil* (sss icons and music)
Tock (models and animation)
WindozeNT (website)
ClubbyBear (sss icons)

* - inactive as of recent
64 player is missing :O

Last edited:

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
hey congratulations for joining the team as the announcer, but the question is, will it be completely original, or is gonna be an imitation of Jeff Manning? if we may know, that is :o
Whatever they tell me to do.

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
I am having @ smashbro29 smashbro29 for a mix of the Super Smash Bros. 64 (Jeff Manning) and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS (Xander Mobus) announcer. I like what Jeff Manning does, but I'd still like it to have the enthusiasm of Xander Mobus.

Also guys, I hope you can get any of your friends to join this project. The recommend roles we need right now is:
1. Art/CSS/Etc.
2. Textures
3. Music
4. Animators (Brawl character animations)
5. Modelers

So search for anyone you can! It will help get this train moving, and of course make this project a reality!

Dsc

Smash Ace
sounds like 64 but not midi? What, you want an orchestra for this? :p

Still not sure what you mean, though. Does the music have to sound exactly like the original (same instruments etc), but recorded live by musicians? or could we change it's genre entirely to say metal/acoustic/ballad etc but keep the arrangement true to the original?

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
midi gets a bad rep for no reason.

there are some amazing sounding string/brass samples available at low prices or free online. a lot of games use those for their music now

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
sounds like 64 but not midi? What, you want an orchestra for this? :p

Still not sure what you mean, though. Does the music have to sound exactly like the original (same instruments etc), but recorded live by musicians? or could we change it's genre entirely to say metal/acoustic/ballad etc but keep the arrangement true to the original?
midi gets a bad rep for no reason.

there are some amazing sounding string/brass samples available at low prices or free online. a lot of games use those for their music now
Ok if you both believe this I'd like a PM from one of you of a Super Smash Bros. 64 styled song of... this!

or

(yeah some gba games were released while the n64 was still alive)

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
i can potentially record new arrangements for this project (zelda songs, mario songs, pokemon, etc) for free

here's some of my own music: sedda.bandcamp.com (all of this is videogame themed music pretty much)

if you like my stuff and would want me to do music for this, my only stipulation would be to let @ Morin0 Morin0 in your team (he's NEAR from the WC) so that he can offer input on character balance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom