• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reality 64: A Smash 64 Mod For Brawl [Not Quite The End | Page 26]

MrHomelessHobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Orangeporrige
That's another thing, that video does not help your relationship with the public, they come for gameplay. And you show them some loud ear splitting music. I believe you guys can do this, but you really need work on the public relationship.

Last edited:

Vale

Smash Ace
wait, i didn't even notice the title change. this is beyond dumb, we do NOT have anything representing real gameplay out yet. op please change the title

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
That's another thing, that video does not help your relationship with the public, they come for gameplay. And you show them some loud ear splitting music. I believe you guys can do this, but you really need work on the public relationship.
We already said that was a joke trailer.

We will make a more official trailer the further down we move.

MrHomelessHobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Orangeporrige
It's almost been 5 hours since I posted this, yes the fourm post is still not changed.

[Update On Page 13: GAMEPLAY]

But guess what, the title is misleading. Keep it like this, and more people with lose faith in the project when they see the "gameplay"

Sangoku

Smash Master
Oh I see there's a gameplay trailer! And almost 4 minute long on top of that! Nicely done, can't wait to play my favorite smash game with side B's!

Vale

Smash Ace
i'm hoping sora will change the title once he sees the thread again. i understand that posting the video by itself is bad, but i feel sora and i not having talked about it extensively beforehand makes it be recieved much worse.

to compensate, i'm trying to design an actual trailer now. like i mentioned before, i don't have the recording software on a decent computer, so i'm going to need to hope somebody else on the project can record. i'll be figuring out exactly what to show in the meantime. i can't vouch for their ability to actually do this, but i'm HOPING it can get done in the next week. will report back.

MrHomelessHobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Orangeporrige
i'm hoping sora will change the title once he sees the thread again. i understand that posting the video by itself is bad, but i feel sora and i not having talked about it extensively beforehand makes it be recieved much worse.

to compensate, i'm trying to design an actual trailer now. like i mentioned before, i don't have the recording software on a decent computer, so i'm going to need to hope somebody else on the project can record. i'll be figuring out exactly what to show in the meantime. i can't vouch for their ability to actually do this, but i'm HOPING it can get done in the next week. will report back.
Thank you, not sure why sora posted that title in the first place

Rage83

Smash Ace

Thank you, not sure why sora posted that title in the first place
I am actually going to record the gameplay trailer once I can get everything ready. Have a run-through plan of it!(may change before release of trailer):

JC Hurley: here's my suggested captures for the video
[12:31:13 AM] JC Hurley: background track: n64 opening theme

[scene 1-- Dreamland]

Have Link fall/trip or something to get him in a similar tumble to the original opening clip. Zoom in for a few seconds, then have him perform a regular get up (not get up attack).

[scene 2 -- various stages]

After the "snap" in the opening theme, show off different stages. Quick shots of FD, Battlefield, Duel Zone, etc. Only include the N64 stages here.

[scene 3 - various stages]

This is the part where it starts showing the characters performing actions.

Mario - Show an upsmash KO. (dreamland)

DK - Combo a down-b into anything. (congo jungle)

Yoshi - show the 64 uptilt animation. (dreamland)

Kirby - Uptilt -> Uptilt combo. (dreamland)

Fox - Upsmash KO. (sector z)

Pikachu - Utilt, utilt, 64 Bair. (Note: bair is still under development. before you record, practice a bit so you can get the strong knockback hit of it) [saffron city]

[scene 4 - transition]

Show the updated select screen, but only the part that shows highlighted stage icons. similar to scene 2 of showing icons for all of the past stages that are in.

[scene 5 - various stages]

Link - perform the taunt where he picks the sword above his head and stands on one leg (on top of Hyrule tent)

Pikachu - throw a Pokeball down (center of saffron).

DK v. Samus - DK uses Giant Punch while Samus rolls. Samus shoots a Charge Beam (sector z or congo)

Yoshi - have four Yoshi's perform their taunt in a row (each one starts when the one to the left is partway through). [yoshi's story or dreamland]

after this, do a shot on dreamland where you rotate the camera fully around the characters that have model changes to demonstrate the current progress. we should have the unlimited camera mod in the codes somewhere.

[scene 6 - hidden characters (dreamland)]

Falcon connects a Punch on Jigglypuff.

Jigglypuff connects a Rest on Falcon.

Luigi connects an up-b on Ness.

Ness connects strong-hit fsmash on Luigi.

End on the character select screen.

acdebega

Smash Rookie
Count me in as a supporter. I would love to play this someday.

Last edited:

mightyXtreme

Smash Rookie
NNID
mightyXtreme4
Still no screens huh? Come on guys, if you want to keep us interested, picture updates are better than waiting on an "official" gameplay trailer with NOTHING else.

mmKALLL

Smash Cadet
Getting screenshots is harder than you'd think, folks - presenting the gameplay with them is difficult, and we already know what the new stages etc look like. I think the video had a lot of important things represented, since the physics looked pretty much like the original game. At least Kirby's utilt is clearly intended to be the same, and that to me is a marvelous thing.

mightyXtreme

Smash Rookie
NNID
mightyXtreme4
It's not hard at all. Screencap on PC or taking screens through pausing in brawl you can save the screens to your sd card. In order for them to be "Presentable", they need to be presented. They don't need to be edited or anything as long as SOMETHING is there.

Sluigi123

R64/Brawl- Dev; AI Coder; Balancer
NNID
Sluigi123
It's not hard at all. Screencap on PC or taking screens through pausing in brawl you can save the screens to your sd card. In order for them to be "Presentable", they need to be presented. They don't need to be edited or anything as long as SOMETHING is there.
Have you made a mod before?

8/22/14 EDIT: (Scratched off what I said.)

Last edited:

AbbiDood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadyLion
Have you made a mod before?
That has NOTHING to do with anything. He didn't say the mod is finished or anything, he just said how easy it is to get previews. Which, yes, it is super easy.

Last edited:

Sluigi123

NNID
Sluigi123
"Have you ever made a game?"
Actually, I am making one right now as a side project. It's on my signature.
That has NOTHING to do with anything. He didn't say the mod is finished or anything, he just said how easy it is to get previews. Which, yes, it is super easy.
I know it's as easy as 1-2-3, but what I meant to say was that we have so much work on our hands, we just can't find the time to put them up.

Last edited:

mightyXtreme

Smash Rookie
NNID
mightyXtreme4
Then hire a guy who can take the screens for you guys. Easy as that. There's plenty of people who are interested, so allow someone to join that can make pictures and videos so you're not putting more work on yourselves.

*sigh* look, I know I'm being pushy here but with a project like this you've gotta get things settled down more before you start with the big stuff. And I'm sorry if I sounded like I know how to mod and stuff, I clearly don't but that wasn't what I was saying at all.

Last edited:

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
Then hire a guy who can take the screens for you guys. Easy as that. There's plenty of people who are interested, so allow someone to join that can make pictures and videos so you're not putting more work on yourselves.

*sigh* look, I know I'm being pushy here but with a project like this you've gotta get things settled down more before you start with the big stuff. And I'm sorry if I sounded like I know how to mod and stuff, I clearly don't but that wasn't what I was saying at all.
We can already take screenshots by ourselves. The problem is setting up everything to look nice. We don't want to show something unworthy. Similar to a school project. You work and work on it until it is presentable. That's why we spit out a good chunk of info I believe 2-3 pages back. Some of that stuff is already taken away from the build. Just showing this is a wip. We even showed those emotes/stage select icons to buy us some more time.

So the jist of that paragraph is we need time to make this a wonderful project people will want to come back to. We'll try to show stuff when it is ready to be shown.

Last edited:

mightyXtreme

Smash Rookie
NNID
mightyXtreme4
You can always take multiple pictures as updates and such, showing how one thing went through changes...

Dad'sHome

Smash Cadet
Just found this thread via Google. I'm suuuuuuuuuuuppper excited for this. I'm glad to see that this is still being worked on.

Somebody asked if it was possible to have the Tutorial Stage as well. Now, the platform just floating on the left side of the stage is pretty lame, but what if you guys could make that platform hover over the stage, left-right and right-left? Is that possible? Smashville a la 64.

Also, did you guys bring back the glorious 0-frame z-cancel?

Cheers to you guys!

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
Wow! It's nice to see things getting done for this project again. I've noticed that there's been some tension between the supporters and developers recently. While i am inclined to agree with what users such as @ mightyXtreme mightyXtreme are saying, i must remind those of us who support the team that first and foremost this project is in it's very early stages.
Secondly i find that the team is doing a very good job at staying organized and trying to present themselves professionally even with their small numbers and lack of presentable material. Everything has to start somewhere and compared to Project M i'd say this team is having an easier time getting the ball rolling so kudos to them. I understand that you want play the latest version, but let's not forget that these things take time, especially in the earlier stages where absolutely everything has to get done. The best thing we can do to show our support is check in occasionally and see how things are going. If you don't like how somethings being done explain your concern. If you do like a development change or addition show your support. It's with the support of this community that this project can thrive and become potentially as big as PM.

To the team that is developing i have a few comments to make. Firstly again i'm glad to see an update. I haven't been around this thread since about page 4 or 5 so i've been out of the loop for awhile. Secondly the reason i'm back in the loop is because of the teaser. I feel good and bad about this. The good thing about it is as someone who's been waiting for some news of this project for months now, i've finally seen something which gives me hope. Also as a relatively small team and since your just starting out, i don't think it did much harm. In fact i want to be able to watch the Reality64 3.5 hype trailer and laugh thinking that it all started out as that little sneak peek. I thought it was cute for something that the public demanded. The bad part about it is, it was unprofessional which relative to the rest of your updates is shocking. You haven't made too many of them but when you have they are presented pretty well.
The other thing is that i can't be sure whether he was acting on behalf of the team or just by himself due to pressure from some of us. Whatever it is, I think for future reference, there shan't be any updating or leaking unless every team member is made aware and gives consent. You have a relatively small team so it shouldn't be too difficult to ask all the team members before doing an official update. Now i'm not asking for an update every day, week or month, but when there is an official piece of info you want to put on the OP, make sure the whole team is aware. That way you're all held responsible for what was posted whether good or bad. Now if you feel you have enough information to provide a steady flow of updates for awhile, do a weekly or biweekly blogpost or something of that sort. If different members of the team are achieving in their own area, update the OP as a team.
What i'm trying to say is you all need to act as a team and as a unit which means you can't be confused and base your decision based off of what x or y says. As far as i know you're modeling your developing after the pmbr which means everyone is equal. If i ask one member something, i should get the same answer from the others across the board or something that matches the original answer.

I know that was a lot to read but finally i've got a suggestion for the project itself. A while back i posted my opinion on development and me feeling that art was the only thing getting done. Well if you do have someone in charge of the art field for the project i've got something you may want to consider using when moving forward. Located here is a texture pack done by AlGeorgeRomo of kc-mm brawl vault. His work is getting fairly popular and i must say myself that these look stunning. Now i'm not going to suggest including them officially in the next build, but when you get the basic mechanics for all the characters down it might be in your interest to reach out to him and see if he wouldn't mind joining the team and remastering all the brawl characters with a 64 flavor. Including these as the official alts for all the characters would be a good move imo.

That was alot to read i know. Sorry for the lengthiness but i can see this project has the potential to become great and i just wanted to express a couple of my concerns and opinions. Good luck team and i'm looking forward to your official trailer.

Last edited:

Dad'sHome

Smash Cadet
I have a question for the developers: Are you going to give the original twelve characters their original move set? I feel like a mix would probably be the best option.

I personally think it would be cool if, let's say, Falcon's Nair and Fair could stay the same as in Melee and Brawl. Whenever I play Smash64, I always feel like the knee is missing. Also, for Fox, please make it so that he can both, cancel his shine by landing (like in Smash64) and by jumping out of it (like in Melee). Or when it comes to DK, sticking with Melee's Uair and Brawl's dash attack would also be a good idea.

These are just a couple of examples that I thought of. The general idea is to buff every character up instead of nerfing the top tier ones.

Last edited:

Sluigi123

NNID
Sluigi123
Wow! It's nice to see things getting done for this project again. I've noticed that there's been some tension between the supporters and developers recently. While i am inclined to agree with what users such as @ mightyXtreme mightyXtreme are saying, i must remind those of us who support the team that first and foremost this project is in it's very early stages.
Secondly i find that the team is doing a very good job at staying organized and trying to present themselves professionally even with their small numbers and lack of presentable material. Everything has to start somewhere and compared to Project M i'd say this team is having an easier time getting the ball rolling so kudos to them. I understand that you want play the latest version, but let's not forget that these things take time, especially in the earlier stages where absolutely everything has to get done. The best thing we can do to show our support is check in occasionally and see how things are going. If you don't like how somethings being done explain your concern. If you do like a development change or addition show your support. It's with the support of this community that this project can thrive and become potentially as big as PM.

To the team that is developing i have a few comments to make. Firstly again i'm glad to see an update. I haven't been around this thread since about page 4 or 5 so i've been out of the loop for awhile. Secondly the reason i'm back in the loop is because of the teaser. I feel good and bad about this. The good thing about it is as someone who's been waiting for some news of this project for months now, i've finally seen something which gives me hope. Also as a relatively small team and since your just starting out, i don't think it did much harm. In fact i want to be able to watch the Reality64 3.5 hype trailer and laugh thinking that it all started out as that little sneak peek. I thought it was cute for something that the public demanded. The bad part about it is, it was unprofessional which relative to the rest of your updates is shocking. You haven't made too many of them but when you have they are presented pretty well.
The other thing is that i can't be sure whether he was acting on behalf of the team or just by himself due to pressure from some of us. Whatever it is, I think for future reference, there shan't be any updating or leaking unless every team member is made aware and gives consent. You have a relatively small team so it shouldn't be too difficult to ask all the team members before doing an official update. Now i'm not asking for an update every day, week or month, but when there is an official piece of info you want to put on the OP, make sure the whole team is aware. That way you're all held responsible for what was posted whether good or bad. Now if you feel you have enough information to provide a steady flow of updates for awhile, do a weekly or biweekly blogpost or something of that sort. If different members of the team are achieving in their own area, update the OP as a team.
What i'm trying to say is you all need to act as a team and as a unit which means you can't be confused and base your decision based off of what x or y says. As far as i know you're modeling your developing after the pmbr which means everyone is equal. If i ask one member something, i should get the same answer from the others across the board or something that matches the original answer.

I know that was a lot to read but finally i've got a suggestion for the project itself. A while back i posted my opinion on development and me feeling that art was the only thing getting done. Well if you do have someone in charge of the art field for the project i've got something you may want to consider using when moving forward. Located here is a texture pack done by AlGeorgeRomo of kc-mm brawl vault. His work is getting fairly popular and i must say myself that these look stunning. Now i'm not going to suggest including them officially in the next build, but when you get the basic mechanics for all the characters down it might be in your interest to reach out to him and see if he wouldn't mind joining the team and remastering all the brawl characters with a 64 flavor. Including these as the official alts for all the characters would be a good move imo.

That was alot to read i know. Sorry for the lengthiness but i can see this project has the potential to become great and i just wanted to express a couple of my concerns and opinions. Good luck team and i'm looking forward to your official trailer.
I'm liking this guy even more, cause all of this is pretty much true.
I have a question for the developers: Are you going to give the original twelve characters their original move set? I feel like a mix would probably be the best option.

I personally think it would be cool if, let's say, Falcon's Nair and Fair could stay the same as in Melee and Brawl. Whenever I play Smash64, I always feel like the knee is missing. Also, for Fox, please make it so that he can both, cancel his shine by landing (like in Smash64) and by jumping out of it (like in Melee). Or when it comes to DK, sticking with Melee's Uair and Brawl's dash attack would also be a good idea.

These are just a couple of examples that I thought of. The general idea is to buff every character up instead of nerfing the top tier ones.
Well, we're trying to keep the movesets as close to 64 as possible. I like your examples, but adding Falcon's Nair and Fair from Melee/Brawl, would just make him feel more like in Melee/Brawl, than in Smash 64, IMO.

Rage83

Smash Ace

With balancing, I believe the direction is to buff most characters to the point of being at the very least level with say, 64 Pikachu, etc. as well as making a few tweaks to the higher tiers.

Rage83

Smash Ace

I agree with what you said completely, except for the overall quality of AlGeorgeRomo's work, but that's a subjective(opinion-based) thing about art. The style does indeed work somewhat for introducing details to 64 character designs of Brawl characters, but it doesn't really fit what he was trying to do much at all(Trying to replicate a Melee art style for Brawl characters). The over-saturated 64 alternates didn't really help his case either. I just have an issue with the saturation, and how the colors seem to blend together most of the time. For example, we have his "Melee Bowser" :

And then we have the real thing:

Can you tell the difference? With the exception of the ripped eye texture, the retexture of Brawl Bowser lacks any sort of detail from Melee Bowser.

Anyways, sorry about the long post. Thanks for reading.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
I agree with what you said completely, except for the overall quality of AlGeorgeRomo's work, but that's a subjective(opinion-based) thing about art. The style does indeed work somewhat for introducing details to 64 character designs of Brawl characters, but it doesn't really fit what he was trying to do much at all(Trying to replicate a Melee art style for Brawl characters). The over-saturated 64 alternates didn't really help his case either. I just have an issue with the saturation, and how the colors seem to blend together most of the time. For example, we have his "Melee Bowser" :

And then we have the real thing:

Can you tell the difference? With the exception of the ripped eye texture, the retexture of Brawl Bowser lacks any sort of detail from Melee Bowser.

Anyways, sorry about the long post. Thanks for reading.
I see what your saying and i must say I'm inclined to agree partially. While his melee remastered characters are very over-saturated, i'd say to consider that the brawl environment is "supposedly" made with a more "realistic" flavor than the melee environment. When i look at brawl, i see that the attention to detail in it's stages matches the attention to detail in it's characters which makes them blend more. With melee i find that the characters are slightly more detailed and saturated than the stages which makes them pop more against the stage background. With all retexturing projects I've encountered, in some way or another they find a way to make the characters stand out more against the background. Such is what i think he's doing here with his melee remastering project. He isn't necessarily trying to replicate melee 1 to 1 but rather, reemphasize focus back on the character as opposed to leaving the focus on the blend of character and stage as it was in brawl. That's just my opinion however which is why we see it differently. If perhaps he was trying to remake 1 to 1 Bowser than i might have to agree with you.

The 64 alts however, i find were spot on. With the low graphical power of the 64, they had to find some way to make characters stand out. Even though his revisions may be a bit over saturated than the originals, i think it's a good way to really make characters distinct on the screen so you could easily tell where each character was. If you decide not to use his alts, hey i won't be offended because it's not even my work but just keep a reminder note of the visual style at the time the game was made and why the aesthetics were the way they were.

A bit of a read. Sorry about that but thanks for the reply. It's always good to talk aesthetics in terms of games.

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
I'm very interested in this project. I wish I could help in some way, but alas, I lack any knowledge of 64. I can't wait to see the finished product. Quick question (since I'm too lazy to check the other pages of posts), do you plan on removing some of the more convient mechanics that were added in Melee/Brawl (ex: being able to do aerials with C-Stick)? Also, how many characters are you planning to have? Just the original 12?

Top Bottom