• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reality 64: A Smash 64 Mod For Brawl [Not Quite The End | Page 26]

Sluigi123

R64/Brawl- Dev; AI Coder; Balancer
NNID
Sluigi123
I wouldn't mind rigging for you. I'm pretty good at it. You can check out my work on Brawl Vault under the same username.
Just looked at your stuff, and I'm very impressed with what I'm seeing with all the stuff you've made. What do you think, YoungSora?

Rage83

Smash Ace
Hate to say it but the only way this'll get more popular is if we see some actual gameplay to see if it's worth sharing or not.
We can't really come soaring off the ground with mind-blowing gameplay if we don't at least have animators. As for the modelers and riggers, this is for many reasons. For example, restoring n64 shadow models, importing and revising 64 stages, plus creating low poly versions of characters not present in Smash 64 in 3D, for example Charizard, or unrepresented charaacters like Marth.

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
We can't really come soaring off the ground with mind-blowing gameplay if we don't at least have animators. As for the modelers and riggers, this is for many reasons. For example, restoring n64 shadow models, importing and revising 64 stages, plus creating low poly versions of characters not present in Smash 64 in 3D, for example Charizard, or unrepresented charaacters like Marth.
Just use the Brawl Shadow Models for unrepped models.

Rage83

Smash Ace
Just use the Brawl Shadow Models for unrepped models.
Still need someone to re-rig them over characters. those use different bonesets compared to the characters. Also, there's the task of setting up the models, with UV mapping, texturing, and such.

mightyXtreme

Smash Rookie
NNID
mightyXtreme4
Perhaps you guys are trying to bite off more than you can chew. From what I've read so far it seems you guys are trying to go all out with the modeling, shading and stuff, how about just trying to work with things little by little. Like with the weight changing and technical stuff get that out of the way first, then just make a quick test video to show us what it's like briefly. But i'm not you guys so i can't do anything about it. Just keep working at it.

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
Perhaps you guys are trying to bite off more than you can chew. From what I've read so far it seems you guys are trying to go all out with the modeling, shading and stuff, how about just trying to work with things little by little. Like with the weight changing and technical stuff get that out of the way first, then just make a quick test video to show us what it's like briefly. But i'm not you guys so i can't do anything about it. Just keep working at it.
Oh trust me that has been in progress, and don't worry we'll get gameplay out soon enough.

Rage83

Smash Ace
We already have attributes for the original 12 pretty much set up.(I believe Samus has fought with Sluigi when it came to actually applying the values, though I may be wrong.) For a bit of a random clarification, my role on the team is to answer questions, handle the actual file setups of content, optimize models(when possible, ex: Kongo Jungle doesn't agree with it atm) and do some miscellaneous things, like attempting to create non-existing recolors, such as 64 palettes for Diddy. Speaking of Diddy, I brought up the idea of using Donkey Kong 64 Diddy, and giving him said textures/palettes.

8B-dindinmaster

Smash Cadet
I've been lurking/following this project for a while now and I'd like to give some honest, constructive criticism if that's okay. First, I can't put into words how excited I am for this project. But I'd like to point out why Project M is so successful. They've modded in Melee's physics, but in Brawl's updated graphics. So the game looks like Brawl, has the massive Brawl cast and plays like Melee. It's the best of both worlds! What Project M didn't do is force outdated graphics on its users, which I think is important. I fear that Reality 64 is going down that path. I don't mean to be rude, but if I wanted to play a game that had Smash 64's physics AND graphics, wouldn't it make sense for me to just go play Smash 64 itself?

On another note, I'd like to appreciate how you guys don't seem to be rushing gameplay footage out. Take your time and make sure everything is presentable before you show it to the world. Because you wouldn't want to show something of which you aren't proud, of course! It seems your team understands this, which I think is very good! Anyway, thank you for taking the time to read this and good luck with your project!

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
I've been lurking/following this project for a while now and I'd like to give some honest, constructive criticism if that's okay. First, I can't put into words how excited I am for this project. But I'd like to point out why Project M is so successful. They've modded in Melee's physics, but in Brawl's updated graphics. So the game looks like Brawl, has the massive Brawl cast and plays like Melee. It's the best of both worlds! What Project M didn't do is force outdated graphics on its users, which I think is important. I fear that Reality 64 is going down that path. I don't mean to be rude, but if I wanted to play a game that had Smash 64's physics AND graphics, wouldn't it make sense for me to just go play Smash 64 itself?

On another note, I'd like to appreciate how you guys don't seem to be rushing gameplay footage out. Take your time and make sure everything is presentable before you show it to the world. Because you wouldn't want to show something of which you aren't proud, of course! It seems your team understands this, which I think is very good! Anyway, thank you for taking the time to read this and good luck with your project!
We were planning on making two seperate builds. One with N64 models and one with Brawl models, but that will most likely be in a later version when we get around to Melee and Brawl characters. Remember everything is due to change. Currently we already have some stages that will be replaced in the future.

8B-dindinmaster

Smash Cadet
We were planning on making two seperate builds. One with N64 models and one with Brawl models, but that will most likely be in a later version when we get around to Melee and Brawl characters. Remember everything is due to change. Currently we already have some stages that will be replaced in the future.
That's fantastic! Thank you for the response! Again, good luck with your project!

Last edited:

mightyXtreme

Smash Rookie
NNID
mightyXtreme4
Then why not try finishing a working demo without the n64 models, and then release a later version with n64 models.

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
Then why not try finishing a working demo without the n64 models, and then release a later version with n64 models.
Getting this kinda thing isn't easy. There is a lot of stuff that comes into factor.

- What will stay in future demos
- What will be removed in future demos
- Art
- Recolors
- Texturing
- Physics and Gameplay
- Setting up new physics for upcoming characters
- Animation
- Will this team member actually help and finish their work?
- Does the game have any bugs
- Making stages
- And more

We work as a team, and we finish as a team. Some team members still have some stuff to finish. I know you guys are waiting for gameplay, and don't worry when we do show it you will believe in this project more.

Last edited:

Rage83

Smash Ace
Getting this kinda thing isn't easy. There is a lot of stuff that comes into factor.

- What will stay in future demos
- What will be removed in future demos
- Art
- Recolors
- Texturing
- Physics and Gameplay
- Setting up new physics for upcoming characters
- Animation
- Will this team member actually help and finish their work?
- Does the game have any bugs
- Making stages
- And more

We work as a team, and we finish as a team. Some team members still have some stuff to finish. I know you guys are waiting for gameplay, and don't worry when we do show it you will believe in this project more.
For example, the major(!) thing in our way of finishing up Luigi is a lack of animation. We already have his attributes done, and if memory serves we have hitboxes set up as much as we can, but we need someone to animate things like his N64 forward smash to perfect such things.

Sluigi123

R64/Brawl- Dev; AI Coder; Balancer
NNID
Sluigi123

I'm honestly liking this guy.
We already have attributes for the original 12 pretty much set up.(I believe Samus has fought with Sluigi when it came to actually applying the values, though I may be wrong.) For a bit of a random clarification, my role on the team is to answer questions, handle the actual file setups of content, optimize models(when possible, ex: Kongo Jungle doesn't agree with it atm) and do some miscellaneous things, like attempting to create non-existing recolors, such as 64 palettes for Diddy. Speaking of Diddy, I brought up the idea of using Donkey Kong 64 Diddy, and giving him said textures/palettes.
Samus was defeated, attribute-wise, and Kongo Jungle is being taken care of, unless you're talking about the Melee version, then again...

Rage83

Smash Ace
I'm honestly liking this guy.

Samus was defeated, attribute-wise, and Kongo Jungle is being taken care of, unless you're talking about the Melee version, then again...
By the way, I actually finished setting up what we have for the lowpoly fighter costumes, and got a WIP of Diddy. I still need to change the shaders back to N64 DK's from DK64 Diddy's ones, though. Smash 64 didn't have a dynamic(?) shading effect like DK64.

Psi Sig

Smash Journeyman
Watching zenith's 64 sets got me even more hype for this project, I know its going to be awesome

Last edited:

Rage83

Smash Ace
more screenshots! c'mon!
*not-so-innocent whistle*

So the GIF didn't work out. Jigglypuff can now blink, has a damage face, and metal materials. Does anyone know how to add FS Eyes? The textures are ther, but my attempt to add them did not end well.

Last edited:

Vale

Smash Ace
NOTE: The following post is NOT official in any capacity.

People have waited approximately 20xx years to see gameplay of the Reaity 64. Countless nanoseconds of effort have been spent to make this trailer, the first glimpse into the world of Reality 64. Note: gameplay and aesthetics not final.

I wanted there to be some footage of the mod out there, but realized my build was a bit outdated on character models and my computer does not have the ability to hold long amounts of video. I figured this would be the next best option.

I present: the great ultimate super reality 64 top secret sneaker peak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0J5ZLk6C2k

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
We really hope you guys stick with us. Remember what Vale said, this is game play is not final by any means. You asked for game play we delivered.

The next trailer will look more professional and will look much cleaner.

Last edited:

Vale

Smash Ace
I'm hesitant to say I really delivered anything and hope that we get an actual trailer out soon.

mightyXtreme

Smash Rookie
NNID
mightyXtreme4
it's gameplay, yes. But to make fun of the people who are interested in the project by making a minute long ear **** session and barely anything that looks good is NOT funny. Sorry, but by that video alone you just lost a ton of credibility. Joke and unofficial or not, you showed us that you're not capable of acting professional with demands. Thank you. Now I know I can stop following the project.

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
it's gameplay, yes. But to make fun of the people who are interested in the project by making a minute long ear **** session and barely anything that looks good is NOT funny. Sorry, but by that video alone you just lost a ton of credibility. Joke and unofficial or not, you showed us that you're not capable of acting professional with demands. Thank you. Now I know I can stop following the project.
You know Project M got the same hate we are getting currently.

People demanded gameplay.

The video actually did show some notable things. About how the attacks are changed. Values and that, but no need to worry there will be an official trailer on the way. It will look much cleaner, but of course that takes time. So just hold on to your seats for a good ride when we get there.

(Also Project M had their own fun as well.)

Last edited:

Vale

Smash Ace
edit: removed long ranty post

video is all me, not the project's fault. if you don't like it, i'm the problem. i don't know why sora is taking it literally as a gameplay demonstration. i knew people might get upset before i posted it; the disclaimer is meant to distance myself from the project in that sense, and it's fine for you to dislike me but there's no point in taking it out on them.

Last edited:

mmKALLL

Smash Cadet
I don't know what the complaining is about since I really enjoyed that trailer - Kirby's utilt looking like it should really brings a lot of credibility for this project in my book!

Last edited:

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
If you still need a beta tester and someone to write the website, I can do this. Also, will the interface be like 64's with 64 character art?

MrHomelessHobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Orangeporrige
Now there is something very important that will decide that fate of the competitively of this mod, will it have ease of access to start up like Project M? Just plug in the SD card and go?

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
Now there is something very important that will decide that fate of the competitively of this mod, will it have ease of access to start up like Project M? Just plug in the SD card and go?
Yes, yes it will. Will be using Gecko to start up so it does have ease of access, but how does it help competitively? It would help more casual than anything.

MrHomelessHobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Orangeporrige
Yes, yes it will. Will be using Gecko to start up so it does have ease of access, but how does it help competitively? It would help more casual than anything.
In tournaments, especially local, it would be much easier to set up. I mean would you rather install homebrew on 20 wiis? or just insert an SD card onto any wii? Ease of access will make local tournaments much easier to host, more people could join the community without any hassle, and you stay in a legal grey area with Nintendo.

Last edited:

themagicalcake

Smash Rookie
When I first saw this project, I thought that it had a ton of potential.

I no longer think that

I saw the title of the thread and thought that I would actually be seeing gameplay and you lied. It seems that your team is focusing more on trying to make the art look outdated than the actual gameplay. You are changing the maps to try to "balance" the game more when you are just ruining character diversity. I fear for the balance because I don't believe that anyone on the team is an experienced 64 player

Top Bottom