• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reality 64: A Smash 64 Mod For Brawl [Not Quite The End | Page 26]

Rood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Rood2790
Capps did are you guys making a code that makes it so character always do standing grabs? It was like that in 64
Thats a good point.... I've never seen a code for that before, but hopefully they'll figure something out.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
You guys are planning on doing an SFX pack too at some point, right?

because that would be cool

Sluigi123

R64/Brawl- Dev; AI Coder; Balancer
NNID
Sluigi123
robosteven said:
You guys are planning on doing an SFX pack too at some point, right?

because that would be cool
I am the one doing the SFX's, starting with the Hit SFX, the Crowd cheering and gasping, and the narrating voice clips.

MechaWave said:
Sure, whenever you're ready, lol.
Once you do start, I'll give you pics of each stage, probably 2 different pics of the same stage at least, but it all depends on what stage I'm taking pictures of. :cool:?

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Guys also one thing to added is once you leave the ledge you lose the ledge invincibility completely. Also this is just for **** and giggles you guys need to add the ability to star ko yourself if you touch the upwards blast line yourself lol

Sluigi123

NNID
Sluigi123
There is a specific event code inside each particular move, per character file. I think it's simply called "Can Leave Stage Vertically." Correct me if I'm wrong, Capps, cause I'm not 100% on this... :(

So yeah, there is a way of having the characters not leave the stage vertically, but at this point, it has to be done manually for each character in the game.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Are you guys planning on balancing everyone to be as good as pikachu? Please just buff instead of nerf that's one thing I hate about PM. I'd like it if you added like a small buff or two to for A tier (Kirby, Fox), A few more small buffs for B tier (Mario, Falcon), A couple drastic buffs for C tier (Yoshi, DK, Jiggz, and Ness), Massive buffs for low tier (Link, Luigi, Samus).

Sluigi123

NNID
Sluigi123
That I'm not sure about it. For me, I made multiple changes on a couple characters in my mod to have some moves being similar to 64.

If I calculated this right...

Without the "brand new" stuff, and Side Specials would be this:
S: Pikachu, Fox
A: Kirby, Mario, Falcon
B: Donkey Kong, Link, Yoshi
C: Ness, Samus, Luigi, Jigglypuff

With "brand new" stuff, including Side Specials:
S: Fox, Kirby, Pikachu, Yoshi
A: Mario, Falcon, DK, Luigi, Link, Ness
B: Samus, Jigglypuff

The "brand new" stuff is all secret, even the rest of the crew doesn't know what moves I'm gonna put in. :p I

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
This project has been improved greatly since i last checked, really excited to try it out

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
That I'm not sure about it. For me, I made multiple changes on a couple characters in my mod to have some moves being similar to 64.

If I calculated this right...

Without the "brand new" stuff, and Side Specials would be this:
S: Pikachu, Fox
A: Kirby, Mario, Falcon
B: Donkey Kong, Link, Yoshi
C: Ness, Samus, Luigi, Jigglypuff

With "brand new" stuff, including Side Specials:
S: Fox, Kirby, Pikachu, Yoshi
A: Mario, Falcon, DK, Luigi, Link, Ness
B: Samus, Jigglypuff

The "brand new" stuff is all secret, even the rest of the crew doesn't know what moves I'm gonna put in. :p I
Ooo I'm so excited

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
This looks awesome and i'm looking forward to playing it whenever a public demo is available! I do have one concern. You stated in your original post that you wish to:
  • Keep Up Throws and Down Throws
  • Keep 4 Taunts
As for up throw and down throw, I don't think they're necessary. Just pick the two best throws for each character and apply them to forward and backward throw respectively. In most cases it will be the actual forward and backward throws but you can change it up with some characters. Like jigglypuff for example has an upward angle for her forward throw you can give someone else the same treatment except with a downward angle or whatever the team deems necessary. Throws could set up for combos at 0% and they could kill at high percentages. Because they are so useful I don't think you need more than 2.

The taunts I think should be left to one for nostalgia but if you leave it at 3(4 if the direction they're facing matters) it won't make a difference.

Best of luck! If there's anything I can do to help let me know.

EDIT: I just read that you decided to not keep side specials. good stuff team.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
This looks awesome and i'm looking forward to playing it whenever a public demo is available! I do have one concern. You stated in your original post that you wish to:
  • Keep Up Throws and Down Throws
  • Keep 4 Taunts
As for up throw and down throw, I don't think they're necessary. Just pick the two best throws for each character and apply them to forward and backward throw respectively. In most cases it will be the actual forward and backward throws but you can change it up with some characters. Like jigglypuff for example has an upward angle for her forward throw you can give someone else the same treatment except with a downward angle or whatever the team deems necessary. Throws could set up for combos at 0% and they could kill at high percentages. Because they are so useful I don't think you need more than 2.

The taunts I think should be left to one for nostalgia but if you leave it at 3(4 if the direction they're facing matters) it won't make a difference.

Best of luck! If there's anything I can do to help let me know.

EDIT: I just read that you decided to not keep side specials. good stuff team.
I agree. I want it to be like 64. Forward throw for like a combo or something, and a powerful back throw finisher. I still consider 64 the most balanced smash game.

Sluigi123

NNID
Sluigi123
Cause you can't fastfall DURING the aerial attack in 64, although you can fastfall BEFORE you can do an aerial attack.

I hope that answered your question.

Vale

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I'd like to voice my support for the project. When a demo comes out, I'll definitely be playing this with my friends.

Additionally, I'd like to know if there is anything I can do to help. Unfortunately, my experience is in Java/C/other high-level languages, and from what I've heard, modding requires things such as assembly. What would I need to learn to be able to help on this front? I might be able to help with the site as well, but MechaWave probably has more experience than I do.
Would you guys need any help with media? It isn't a very technical skill, but at the very least I could help write articles for the site and make posts on social media, if you'd like. Either way, excited to see this work out!

D

Deleted member

I have a quick question.
Will there be 2 versions of this mod for people who have hacked their Wiis and people who haven't hacked their Wiis like Project M?

I also have an idea. On the character slots, I think that old or existing artwork should be used for the character slots like in Smash 64. I also think that the bottom half of the screen should have 3D character models moving around like in Smash 64 (if that's possible to do).

Sluigi123

NNID
Sluigi123
2 Huge News!

Part 1
Sakurai Angle is different in all three smash games!
(* is set as the degree symbol.)
Everyone should know what a Sakurai angle is at this point in time. Those of you who don't know what it is, it's explained to the most simplest below.

"At low knock-back, the angle is automatically set to 0*, but with high knockback, it'd be set at a diagonal angle, but is mostly set to about 40*."

If you want to know why the Sakurai Angle is different in all 3 games, this graph below should prove it:

I'm gonna explain the graph in two different forms.

("K" is represented as the Knockback Value; "A" is represented as the Angle Value.)

SSB64

Math Form
K < 32, A = 0
K > 32, A = 42.5

Wording

If the Knockback has a value less than 32, the angle will be 0.
If the Knockback has a value greater then or equal to 32, then the angle will be 42.5, but since the game has been set up to round to the nearest whole number, the value will have to be 43.

SSBM

Math Form
K < 32, A = 0
K > 32, A = 44

Wording
If the Knockback has a value less than 32, the angle will be 0.
If the Knockback has a value greater then or equal to 32, then the angle will be 44.

Brawl

Math Form
K < 60, A = 0
K = [60,88], A = (4/3)K - 80
K > 88, A = 112/3, or 37.3333

Wording
If the Knockback has a value less than 60, the angle will be 0.
If the Knockback has a value within and/or between the values 60 and 88, the angle will have to be 4/3 of the current knockback value and then subtract it by 80. Ex. If Knockback is 75, then the angle will have to be 20.
If the Knockback has a value greater than 88, the angle will be 37.333, but since the game has been rounded to the nearest whole number, then the value will have to be 37.

If you look at the the 2nd line in the Brawl's section, you'd notice that there is an equation that I have set up to the most accurate, since SmashWiki didn't have one up yet. (Unless I'm too lazy to find the real equation. :ohwell:)

Part 2
Item Collisions found!
I'm now one step closer towards Item Balancing, and all I had to do was testing the Bumper for at least 3 Months, and it was all worth it. I had to use HxD to be able to look and edit everything inside the "ItmBumperParam.Pac" file, since BrawlBox couldn't edit the items (excluding texture and model editing).

Then came in Project M 3.0, and once I saw the Item changes, I got a break. I decided then to look at which values are different between VBrawl's Bumper and PM's Bumper. Then I found this:

VBrawl's Bumper is on the LEFT and P:M's Bumper is on the RIGHT.

The Bumper's first pair of offensive collisions are found within the first box, while the second pair is within the second box. I'll give you more info later tomorrow!
Merry Christmas! :grin:

Last edited:

Rage83

Smash Ace
I like the idea of this project, but I'm not a big fan of flat-out removing parts of the game.(Tripping ignored, and I certainly don't mind a heavy speedup over Brawl.)

Madao

SSB64
Math Form
K < 32, A = 0​
K > 32, A = 42.5​
Wording
If the Knockback has a value less than 32, the angle will be 0.​
If the Knockback has a value greater then or equal to 32, then the angle will be 42.5, but since the game has been set up to round down a decimal value, the value will have to be 42. :grin:
Just to add to this, when you hit an enemy that's in the air or use a grab, the angle for sakurai angle attacks = 43. Also I don't think the game rounds down the 42.5, because it uses floating point for calculating angle. I can double check later on.​
Hey guys, I'd like to voice my support for the project. When a demo comes out, I'll definitely be playing this with my friends.

Additionally, I'd like to know if there is anything I can do to help. Unfortunately, my experience is in Java/C/other high-level languages, and from what I've heard, modding requires things such as assembly. What would I need to learn to be able to help on this front? I might be able to help with the site as well, but MechaWave probably has more experience than I do.
Would you guys need any help with media? It isn't a very technical skill, but at the very least I could help write articles for the site and make posts on social media, if you'd like. Either way, excited to see this work out!
We could definitely use your help. You don't have to worry about C or any high level languages, unless you want to build your own tools (totally optional). If you want to help us, you can learn Power PC Assembly and help modify the game mechanics. Another thing you could do is learn how to use PSA, so that you can edit character moves and physics. Also we need people who know how to make animations/ do art work.
I suggest you pick whichever one you are most interested in or the one you think you would do the best at.

Vale

Smash Ace
Alright, I'll look into both and see which one I feel I'd be better at. I found some basic tutorials for Power PC Assembly, but haven't been able to find anything about PSA. Could you give me a link to some kind of beginners guide to it? Also, what tools/software am I going to need to work on this (e.g. to view the Brawl code in order to be able to modify it)?

I'm not great at drawing, but I do have a Photoshop CS6 certification, so the closest immediate benefit I could probably have is with some aspect of the "art work" (any text designs/anything with source images to modify). What are you guys looking for?

Madao

Alright, I'll look into both and see which one I feel I'd be better at. I found some basic tutorials for Power PC Assembly, but haven't been able to find anything about PSA. Could you give me a link to some kind of beginners guide to it? Also, what tools/software am I going to need to work on this (e.g. to view the Brawl code in order to be able to modify it)?

I'm not great at drawing, but I do have a Photoshop CS6 certification, so the closest immediate benefit I could probably have is with some aspect of the "art work" (any text designs/anything with source images to modify). What are you guys looking for?
Assembly is for changing the game mechanics (like changing the global hitstun multiplier). PSA is for changing character data. BrawlBox is what you use for animation stuff and probably other art work too. The reason to change art work/ animations is to make the game look more like SSB64. Out of the 3 options, I'd say the easiest one to do is PSA and the hardest one to do is Assembly. Idk PPC Assembly too well. It's not hard to pick up on the language, but to be able to find the code you are looking for and modify it is a real challenge. You also need a strong computer to be able to debug with Dolphin emulator.
Here are some links for PSA and BrawlBox.
http://smashboards.com/threads/psa-official-project-thread.244302/
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-psa-guide-updates-are-put-on-hold-for-now.243626/
http://smashboards.com/threads/brawlbox-and-psa-video-tutorials.254428/

Vale

Smash Ace
Alright. My computer isn't super up-to-date, but I think I'll be able to run everything. Should I just post here again after I get everything set up?

Madao

Yes, keep us updated on your progress. Also let us know what you plan on doing. I myself will probably look into PSA. Animation editting seems cool, but I heard it's very time consuming. As for debugging, I don't have a strong enough computer unfortunately.

Vale

Smash Ace
I've downloaded BrawlBox and PSA, but the links to .pac files are broken in both threads that had them. Do you guys have a working link to them and/or would the ones I have for Project M be okay to start with?

Vale

Smash Ace
Thanks, sluigi!

~~
If I were to help with the work in PSA, what would that entail? It seems like the attributes would just be replaced by a value from the N64 version, so would I need to find a way to get the values from SSB64 to transfer them? Or would it be editing the action events to get moves to be like their 64 counterparts?
I'm assuming I'll need to get an emulator to test changes no matter which part I help with, so besides that (and a ROM of the game), is there any other software I should find?

Madao

Well, cheat engine might be useful for emulator, if you want to hex edit in real time. Cheat engine requires a decent amount of knowledge to effectively use it though.
As far as PSA, some of it will be easy changes, while other things (like weight) will have to be converted. We plan on changing both the character physics and the moves. We have most of the data known for SSB64 already, so we will just have to compare and modify accordingly. Hardest part will be changing the actual game physics, since that will require debugging to find the addresses. Another hard thing will be making animations because it takes a lot of work. For example, we would want to change falcon's forward smash from the elbow attack to a kick. We still haven't discovered any animation data on SSB64 unfortunately. No one seems to be interested on finding it out.

Vale

Smash Ace
Alright, I can definitely do some of the number changes and attempt to perform conversions. As you said you already have most of this data, is there somewhere I could find it to start making the changes?

I watched a video to try and get a better understanding of changing the animations. We basically just have to go through and edit the position of the bones on a frame-by-frame basis, correct? Time consuming for sure, but I think I could do it. Although we don't have the animation data from 64, I could get a rough estimate by slowing down a copy of the game and seeing where things go. Is there an animation that you think would be a good starting place? I was thinking of doing something like a taunt to avoid any hitbox issues that could come up.

Madao

I need to finish the last 2 characters, but we recorded most of the animation stuff as images.
http://smashboards.com/threads/project-framedisplay-for-u-version.342351/

We could really use your help with animations. I don't know how much time you have, and which thing you'd prefer doing.

Starting with taunts is a good idea for animation editing.
A lot of the information is scattered in different places, so just let me know what specific info you need.
Here is the moveset data thread. http://smashboards.com/threads/moveset-data-thread-chart-updated-dec-04-12.329221/

Top Bottom