• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ready to crush some babies!- The Heavy(TF2) Support thread

Do you want the heavy in?

• Yes!

Votes: 119 88.8%
  • NO!

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Idk...

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Who the heck is he?

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
Sure, I’ll sign up. TF2 is an incredible game with incredible characters. It’s never been on Nintendo and likely never will but eh. Hardly seems to matter anymore.

Do you guys have any ideas for reveal trailers?
Would have to be a Meet the Team reference. Just show a bunch of characters getting destroyed and reveal it’s the Heavy. Use the Meet the Heavy title screen as reference for his splash screen.

Also, I think for Heavy they should do that thing at the end of every meet the team video where it zooms our from the character’s face, for revealing his spot on the mural.

Doomguy46

Smash Apprentice
Been a bit since i checked this thread, glad to see it still has traction! but guys
tomorrow

here's icons for tf2, im making and uploading one for heavy

here's one that's just for heavy for signatures: https://imgur.com/a/JQn7OhP
I did not make these btw. just throwing them out there

CP7 tomorrow... maybe we win? Maybe not?
I think there's a chance but honestly, the timing just feels super off. It would probably only happen if we got like the heavy update or something. But come one
what're the odds of that.

Zangiefsthighs

Smash Cadet
I'm super excited!
Sadly I have school stuff when the live stream is on so when I'm done I'll find out who it is, and it's our big Russian boi then I will die a happy man

NOSTARSICK

Smash Apprentice
I honestly have never played Team Fortress, but one of my cousins most wanted is Heavy so i would like him to be one of the DLCs!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Worth mentioning when you type heavy smash reveal in you get UK's direct
Now we just have to wait and see if it's Heavy in the weapons guy sense or Back to the Future sense.

Doomguy46

Smash Apprentice
I'm curious what you guys think heavy's moveset would be.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I was thinking, maybe Heavy could work with an ammo system for his Minigun, kinda like Steve with his weapons. Whenever Heavy runs out of ammo he is forced to fight with his fists (maybe shotgun and spellbook too) instead. To gain ammo, he would need to stand near a dispenser, which can also be destroyed. I'm taking a lot of inspiration from Steve's moveset btw, it just fits Heavy pretty well. Compared to Steve's Crafting Table tho, the Dispenser should have a slower respawn time because otherwise the Dispenser is gonna give Heavy an infinite ranged attack. (though I think that Sakurai would make the bullets from his minigun slow players down instead of giving them knockback, for balancing reasons).

Another idea I have is for his grab, he could use the grappling hook from Mannpower as an ranged grab, but instead of the player coming to Heavy, the Heavy would move to the player instead. Heavy can then choose to either do nothing and grab his opponent normally, or press the Attack button while travelling to quickly punch the opponent when he reaches them. Players that are hit with the grappling hook can still try to fight back before the Heavy reaches them, but you have to time it perfectly. When stunned characters are hit they wont get unstunned, just like in the gamemode. I wanted to say that this could also work as an tether recovery, but it seems like they removed it for grab tethers.

An Idea for his up B would be the Blast Jump spell. A pretty simple move, Heavy will be able to use it twice in the air to fly straight up. I tried to not use the spellbook, but I just couldn't think of a better up B without taking weapons from other classes.

Something I have trouble with tho, what would Kirby's hat be if he transformed into Heavy? He doesn't really have a hat or anything.

Doomguy46

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking, maybe Heavy could work with an ammo system for his Minigun, kinda like Steve with his weapons. Whenever Heavy runs out of ammo he is forced to fight with his fists (maybe shotgun and spellbook too) instead. To gain ammo, he would need to stand near a dispenser, which can also be destroyed. I'm taking a lot of inspiration from Steve's moveset btw, it just fits Heavy pretty well. Compared to Steve's Crafting Table tho, the Dispenser should have a slower respawn time because otherwise the Dispenser is gonna give Heavy an infinite ranged attack. (though I think that Sakurai would make the bullets from his minigun slow players down instead of giving them knockback, for balancing reasons).

Another idea I have is for his grab, he could use the grappling hook from Mannpower as an ranged grab, but instead of the player coming to Heavy, the Heavy would move to the player instead. Heavy can then choose to either do nothing and grab his opponent normally, or press the Attack button while travelling to quickly punch the opponent when he reaches them. Players that are hit with the grappling hook can still try to fight back before the Heavy reaches them, but you have to time it perfectly. When stunned characters are hit they wont get unstunned, just like in the gamemode. I wanted to say that this could also work as an tether recovery, but it seems like they removed it for grab tethers.

An Idea for his up B would be the Blast Jump spell. A pretty simple move, Heavy will be able to use it twice in the air to fly straight up. I tried to not use the spellbook, but I just couldn't think of a better up B without taking weapons from other classes.

Something I have trouble with tho, what would Kirby's hat be if he transformed into Heavy? He doesn't really have a hat or anything.
Kirby hat is the bullet belt, and his recovery should be his team supporting him, which kinda goes back to classes covering each other's weaknesses

itsmeft24

Smash Rookie
TF2 was never really popular in Japan, so I believe this to be impossible. There is a 0% chance of this EVER even REMOTELY coming true. I do not even think that a Mii costume is possible. Why? Because:

A: He is from an M rated game that is strictly based on gunplay. It's an FPS. No other character in Smash whose home series is rated M is an actual FPS.

B: Bayonetta, Snake, Cloud, etc. were all possible because they were from relatively popular games among the gaming community. PC games are very obscure to many, and only in recent years has PC gaming become truly mainstream. I get it, TF2 is a well-known game in the PC gaming community. However, nobody I know of that isn't a fellow PC gamer even knows that there is a game called "Team Fortress 2".

C: Nintendo and Valve haven't really had many partnerships. Sega has had a long history with partnering with Nintendo, so Sonic, Bayonetta, and Joker all make sense. Snake was a request from Hideo Kojima, and Square Enix has also had a sizeable amount of Nintendo partnerships. I can go on.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Alright I'm not a Heavy supporter but I'm gonna have to stick up for them.

A. Game being an FPS is probably irrelevant to the final decision. Fallout got a mii costume so the "Not even as a mii costume" point already becomes null, and we're at a point in speculation where god damn Master Chief is considered a legit contender (before Steve, mind you, but he may have a shot in the later future, or even just another costume)

B. Fair, TF2 isn't popular in Japan, but that just comes from PC not really being popular until recently as you said, so we can't predict what'll happen like 10 years from now if it does indeed keep growing. It's important to keep an open mind for these kinds of points.

Also "Nobody I know that isn't a fellow PC gamer knows what TF2 is" is probably one of the silliest gatekeeps I've ever heard because of the picks we already do have in Smash. Joker is pretty out there for the non-general audience, Banjo is a dead series, Terry, while iconic, is mostly popular to a specific hardcore fanbase. TF2 is an internet cultural phenomenon, the highest viewed video, Meet the Medic has 60 million views, and some videos in recent times still get millions of views (Heavy is Dead) so the brand is definitely recognizable. Don't speak for everyone by using a couple of your friends as a sample size.

C. if Nintendo and Microsoft/Ubisoft/Bethesda can negotiate then so can Valve, just saying, it wouldn't be that complicated. Gabe actually had talks with Nintendo years ago for a plan that didn't really go through but hey those talks happened regardless, it shows it's possible. Valve would play ball, I bet you, but Nintendo just needs a reason to want to make that negotiation anyway, so if people ask for Heavy online so Nintendo could keep him in mind for either a mii or possibly even next game then that's exactly the best they can do, that's what happened with Banjo back in the Smash Ballot days and look what happened.

Honestly this post just radiates of "I am upset that Heavy got the most votes in two unimportant online Smash polls, so I'm going to go to the Heavy thread in some Smash forum and berate their character" cause there's literally no other reason you'd post this.

Yo actually, since I went through the trouble of typing this defense, can I be thrown in the support list? TF2 is my favorite game of all time, and while I don't think Heavy is likely in the near future I'd be over the moon to see him in Smash some day.

Theenderdefender

Smash Cadet
TF2 Spirits!

-Scout (Advanced Primary Attack Spirit)
Represented by Sonic on 2Fort (What I assume the tf2 stage would be)
Song: "Fast Than a Speeding Bullet"
Sonic starts the battle with a homerun bat and will have increased speed
Move Speed up when equipped

-Medic (Advanced Primary Defense Spirit)
Represented by Dr. Mario on 2Fort
Song: "MEDIC!"
Dr. Mario will heal overtime in this timed stamina battle
Life Steal when equipped

-Engineer (Advanced Primary Defense Spirit)
Represented by Builder Mario on 2Fort, being supported by a giant red R.O.B
Song: "More Gun"
Builder Mario will avoid conflict as the R.O.B will be very aggressive and favor its neutral special
Fire/Explosion resist

-Soldier (Advanced Support Spirit)
Represented by Samus on 2Fort
Song: "Rocket Jump Waltz"
Samus favors her side special, which has increased power
Fire/Explosion Attack up

-Demoman (Advanced Primary Defense Spirit)
Represented by Snake on 2Fort
Song: "Drunken Pipe Bomb"
Snake favors his neutral and down special. All of his explosive moves have increased power
Bomber equipped

-Pyro (Advanced Primary Attack Spirit)
Represented by Charizard on Gerudo Valley
Song: "Dreams of Cruelty"
The enemy favors their neutral special which has increased power in this stamina battle
Fire Flower Equipped

-Spy (Ace Primary Attack Spirit)
Represented by Joker (or Dark Link if you don't have the Joker DLC) on 2Fort
Song: "Right Behind You"
The fighter's basic attacks will have increased power. They will also, on occasion, turn invisible
Longer dodge invincibility

-Sniper (Ace Support Spirit)
Represented by Dark Pit on Great Plateau Tower
Song: "Magnum Force"
Dark Pit has a staff and will try to keep his distance. He will also occasionally have his Final Smash
Weapon Attack up when equipped

-The Mercenaries (Legendary Support Spirit)
Represented by The Heavy on 2Fort. Supported by Sonic, Dr. Mario, Samus, Charizard, Builder Mario, R.O.B, Snake, Dark Pit, and Joker/Dark Link
Song: "Main Theme"
You must defeat all enemies to win this stamina battle. Heavy will have his final smash at high damage
Shooting Attack Up Up Up

Bonnelle D'Arc

Smash Rookie
Came here from the #PootHeavyInSmash Discord.

Of course, I'll support The Big Mann. TF2 has a special place in my heart as one of my favorite games of all time and it's an internet phenomenon that somehow stays relevant with countless memes and fan projects. I'm still surprised that there are a lot of people out there who actually want to see Heavy in Smash, but I know that most TF2 fans tend to also be Nintendo fans as well, so the overlap is real. And with the way Smash Bros. is now, it's a free-for-all for any and every character who hasn't made it in Smash.

However, I do have to admit that I don't see the odds are in Heavy's favor. For one thing, his voice actor is getting old and I don't think he can do the Heavy voice as well anymore. Sure, they could just recycle old voice lines from TF2, but how will they be able to do a trailer for Heavy? He can't just stay silent.

Also, what if Valve pulls a 180 and instead of Heavy they add Gordon Freeman instead and Heavy is a Mii costume? Don't get me wrong, I'd be just as hyped to see Gordon, but I wonder how the TF2 fandom will respond if that were the case. I just have that nagging thought that if Valve and Nintendo did have talks prior to or during Smash's development, Valve would probably push for Gordon over Heavy, considering that Gordon is the flagship mascot of Valve and with Half-Life Alyx released, Gordon might be used to promote that game. And I think Sakurai stated in an interview that he played and enjoyed Half-Life (I think I saw it on Source Gaming, but don't quote me on that. I'll try to find the original article).

I'll still support Heavy regardless. So, yeah. Count me in!

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Came here from the #PootHeavyInSmash Discord.

Of course, I'll support The Big Mann. TF2 has a special place in my heart as one of my favorite games of all time and it's an internet phenomenon that somehow stays relevant with countless memes and fan projects. I'm still surprised that there are a lot of people out there who actually want to see Heavy in Smash, but I know that most TF2 fans tend to also be Nintendo fans as well, so the overlap is real. And with the way Smash Bros. is now, it's a free-for-all for any and every character who hasn't made it in Smash.

However, I do have to admit that I don't see the odds are in Heavy's favor. For one thing, his voice actor is getting old and I don't think he can do the Heavy voice as well anymore. Sure, they could just recycle old voice lines from TF2, but how will they be able to do a trailer for Heavy? He can't just stay silent.

Also, what if Valve pulls a 180 and instead of Heavy they add Gordon Freeman instead and Heavy is a Mii costume? Don't get me wrong, I'd be just as hyped to see Gordon, but I wonder how the TF2 fandom will respond if that were the case. I just have that nagging thought that if Valve and Nintendo did have talks prior to or during Smash's development, Valve would probably push for Gordon over Heavy, considering that Gordon is the flagship mascot of Valve and with Half-Life Alyx released, Gordon might be used to promote that game. And I think Sakurai stated in an interview that he played and enjoyed Half-Life (I think I saw it on Source Gaming, but don't quote me on that. I'll try to find the original article).

I'll still support Heavy regardless. So, yeah. Count me in!
I love TF2 to death (look at my username), but it's always been my belief that if Valve got a Fighter that it would be Gordon Freeman. Gordon is Mr. Valve after all. Just as Sonic is to Sega, Mega Man is to Capcom, Pac-Man is to Bandai Namco, Terry is to SNK, and Hayabusa is to Koei Tecmo (assuming Hayabusa comes to Smash). You could even argue it's like what Cloud is to Final Fantasy and Ryu is to fighting games. I've always felt like the Smash community has backed the wrong horse in regards to Valve. TF2 music would likely come with the stage regardless (whether that be Black Mesa or City 17). And there'd probably be a TF2 Mii Costume. So TF2 content would still come.

Now, I think Heavy and Medic (I think a combo character would best represent the team dynamic of the series), would be fantastic, don't get me wrong, but never once considered Heavy over Gordon until the Smash community started backing him. I've been supporting Gordon since Cloud was revealed for Smash 4 and someone like him seemed possible to me. Plus, it's much feasible to imagine Half-Life and Portal games coming to Switch than it is to imagine TF2.

Last edited:

Dacowboykid

Smash Rookie
guys imagine if heavy's moveset had all the mercs for some of his attacks and specials similar to the Ginyu Force from Dragon Ball Fighterz, he could be team character , TEAM FORTRESS JOINS THE BATTLE (led by heavy)

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Ya-da-dada-dada~ It is good day to support Heavy in Smash Bros! (And before Engie gets any ideas; NO! He is not dead.)

I may be... 12 years late to the party... give or take... but nonetheless, gentlemen, ladies and everybody who isn't either of those. I have gotten into Team Fortress 2! Currently I am very bad at it, so I am practicing, but TF2 has been giving me a massive pick me up recently.

While I'd personally prefer Spy to be the mercenary chosen, I can't deny that all of them would make for amazing choices (except maybe Sniper and Medic. I dunno how they'd work as playable characters, but hey that's what the Assist Trophy is for. Besides, I think we can all agree that the Übercharge takes top priority as Heavy's Final Smash). Heck, the Heavy could be the first third party heavyweight!... (turns out Terry is the first heavy third party) er, first third party SUPERheavyweight. He legitimately would be, though. If K. Rool couldn't top Bowser I don't know if Heavy should, but that Minigun has to weigh a lot in and of itself.

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
I love TF2, but something about it just seems very unlikely to get representation in Smash. I don't know, it just feels impossible... But then again, so did Steve, so what do I know? I wouldn't mind Heavy, but Scout would feel a lot more natural. One of Heavy's defining attributes is his lack of speed and agility, so even if he was one of the slowest heavyweights it would just look really weird to me to see him jumping all over the place. Scout on the other hand would look the most natural doing double jumps and such, and I'd say he's at least the second most iconic TF2 class.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
In this update.
Nope, but tbh the bot problem from my experience is not nearly as bad as it was in the past. The racist and homophobic bots have been muzzled, and teams tend to do a good job of kicking their bots (esp with the new votekick updates). Bots still are a problem obviously, but not what they were in say June.

Doomguy46

Smash Apprentice
Boys tonight we're getting a new fighter. Might be our big Russian boy or doomguy. I've got a feeling for this one.

Zangiefsthighs

Smash Cadet
Good luck tonight. Though with the smash release they would want to give a small update to tf2 and the last one was yesterday so it would be strange.
But we still have hope, valve did some weird **** before.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
It was Sephiroth and not Heavy, unfortunately. Seph's still great though.

However I have a Question. If we did get Heavy, or for that matter any TF2 rep, what if one of their taunts was Kazotsky Kick/Conga/Mannrobics, and other fighters could join in like in TF2?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
However I have a Question. If we did get Heavy, or for that matter any TF2 rep, what if one of their taunts was Kazotsky Kick/Conga/Mannrobics, and other fighters could join in like in TF2?
That I think would be something the team would do on their victory screen.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I know this is a Heavy support thread and I should have a focus on Heavy, but the more I think about it the more Demoman appeals to me. I think it's because I can think of a moveset pretty easily for the guy. Normals would mostly focus on the Eyelander, Headtaker and Nessie's, but his bottle, Caber and other melee weaponry would be present.
  • Neutral Special: Grenade Launcher - Fire a pipe bomb from the launcher. Up to four can be fired before needing to reload.
  • Side Special: Stickybomb Launcher - Fire a stickybomb from the launcher. Up to 3 can be active, the fourth replacing the first. If you tap the button, the sticky is fired at your feet.
  • Up Special: Chargin' Targe - On the ground, works as you'd expect. In the air? Basically Trimping. You can act out of this move. However, if you hold the special button, you do a finishing move with the Eyelander, but it makes you helpless.
  • Down Special: Detonate - Detonate any stickybombs that are active. Because of how I set up the side special, you can sticky jump to help your recovery.
  • Final Smash: MONOCULUS! - Summons MONOCULUS! to the field. MONOCULUS! does what MONOCULUS! does in TF2.
As well as one for Pyro (Pyro would use their melee weapons, but the flamethrower would be the main focus of the moveset used in smashes and aerials)...
  • Neutral Special: Flare Gun - Fire a pellet forwards. Deals critical damage to anybody undergoing afterburn from an aerial attack or a smash attack.
  • Side Special: Compression Blast - One shot of Gust Bellows-level windboxes. Can also reflect projectiles (1.4x power/speed).
  • Up Special: Thermal Thruster - Works just like it does in TF2: first a small jump, then a large blastoff. Like Inkling's up-b, when you land you deal damage.
  • Down Special: Gas Passer - First, you have to charge it up by dealing damage. Then you can throw it on the ground for a Poison Breath-like hitbox zone.
  • Final Smash: Armageddon - Pyro's Rainblower kill taunt.
Heavy's specials at this point are well known what they would be (Sasha, Shotgun, Sandvich, and some form of up special alongside an Uber FS) so I don't have much to speculate.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
How funny would it be if Heavy's reveal trailer was literally just Meet the Heavy slapped into a Nintendo Direct with no explanation until the final scene where he's mowing down everyone instead had him on Battlefield?
I think people might think it's for Team Fortress on the switch or something. I think they should start it off with mowing down smash charters like the end of Meet the Heavy and do the rest like a Meet the____ video with fun jokes

Top Bottom