• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman Revolution

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
As a way to celebrate Rayman's 23rd birthday, I would like to play a game:

Tell us your first experience of playing a Rayman game and what console it was on.

For me, my first experience came from the Dreamcast Generator disc where I got to play a snippet of Rayman 2. The level that I played on was the Sanctuary of Water and Ice and I remember this because there were drilling Robo Pirates on the beach. This eventually lead me to get Rayman 2 on the N64 and has since become one of my most nostalgic games.
I actually just bought a working Dreamcast, so I'm thinking about hunting down the DC version of Rayman 2.
s-l300.jpg

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

Tell us your first experience of playing a Rayman game and what console it was on.

For me, my first experience came from the Dreamcast Generator disc where I got to play a snippet of Rayman 2. The level that I played on was the Sanctuary of Water and Ice and I remember this because there were drilling Robo Pirates on the beach. This eventually lead me to get Rayman 2 on the N64 and has since become one of my most nostalgic games.
I actually just bought a working Dreamcast, so I'm thinking about hunting down the DC version of Rayman 2.
View attachment 161243
My first experience with Rayman was this trailer.
Yep, my introduction to Rayman was thanks in part to the little buggers most Rayman fans hate.

In addition for being a new game for the then revolutionary Wii, everything about the trailer just clicked for me. The character of Rayman was something I’ve never seen before at that time. A character without limbs? 9 year old me had their mind blown.

I didn’t get around to playing a Rayman game until I rented both Rayman 3 and Rayman Raving Rabbids from Blockbuster sometime in 2007. I loved playing both of them, but I gravitated to Rayman 3 much more.

I’ve been a fan since.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
To set the scene, it's some time during the 90's, I was just a young lad, I had some presents for Christmas, or maybe it was my birthday, presents nonetheless. But two presents stood out from the rest, a Sony Playstation, and a copy of Rayman. What was this weird looking thing called Rayman? Boy was I about to find out. Played the hell out of the game, didn't beat it until I was into my teens, well after I had already beaten Rayman 2, but I never let it beat me.

That Playstation was the first console I called my own, and Rayman the first game. I'd played other games before, but Rayman was my real entry into gaming.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I honestly can't recall my first Rayman experience. I always kinda knew he was there. I do know the first one I played to completion was Origins, but thats about all I remember specifically.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I must have been 3 years old at the time, maybe 4. I don't remember how or who gave it to me, but I do remember receiving the N64 Box for Rayman 2, with its pretty green cartridge, I also received Banjo Kazooie around the same time. I remember it quickly becoming one of my favorite games and trying hard to beat it, but I got stuck a lot (And I didn't have the controller pak to save so I had to do the whole thing in one go eventually)

I must have been 6 or 7 when I finally reached the Razorbeard fight and after a bunch of attempts, finally took him down. Then after beating the game I must have replayed the game like 8 times at least. I got further into the series, eventually played Rayman 3 and Rayman Arena. Also got into the Raving Rabbids since only the first game must have been out at that time. My appreciation for that game was so great that I even asked my parents for a Rayman-themed birthday party (Which never happened, snf) and well, fast forward like 10 years and here we are.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._switch_has_sold_more_than_two_million_copies

Things are looking good...

View attachment 161243
Back in the days of dinosaur PCs, I had received a copy of the first Rayman (as a special edition/anniversary of sorts, Gold?). The setting, addicting gameplay, strange worlds, limbless designs and fantastic redbook audio music have all appealed to me. Once I acquired a Playstation Greatest Hits copy of it, I became a fan since then.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Oh crap. I almost missed Rayman's 23rd! The hardest game I have ever played (including even I Wanna Be the Guy). At least I could get to the final boss on that one. Bongo Hills is more like Bongo Hecks.

SodiumChloride

Smash Cadet

View attachment 161243
Rayman Arena on The OG xbox

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

I feel it in my bones, one or all are going to make it. It's a rare occasion for me to go and draw something like this, so I believe in them all.

RainbowMario

Smash Rookie
NNID
RainbowMario
3DS FC
4983-4921-2218
Switch FC
SW - 2028 - 6856 - 9692

View attachment 161243
My first Rayman game was Rayman 3 - Hoodlum Havoc on the Nintendo Gamecube, it's still my favourite Rayman game

volbound1700

Smash Master

I feel it in my bones, one or all are going to make it. It's a rare occasion for me to go and draw something like this, so I believe in them all.
Likely not going to happen but would be nice to see all four characters in the picture join Ultimate. Perhaps with DLC all four will get in.

My first memory of Rayman is playing Rayman 2 on the PC with my brother. Very precious memories. :)

Then later, I got Rayman 3 on PS2 after playing the demo on a Playstation Magazine demo disc. Great game! Then.....I saw Rayman Raving Rabbids....I thought....is this Rayman 4? Bought it and was pretty disappointed that it was just a party game. Yes I know it said "Play over 70 quirky games" on the back but I guess I just thought the game included mini games as well. Ah well. Origins I never played because I wanted a 3D Rayman. Then I got Legends after hearing the praise and man I really is a fantastic game. Still craving a 3D Rayman though, hopefully Ancel's recent comments may lead to that one day.

Last edited:

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 161243
Well, if memory serves right, my first run-in with the limbless wonder was back in 2004-5. I was already acquainted with gaming from playing Mario & Crash titles, & Rayman was already something of a familiar face from earlier, much foggier years where my older bro owned Rayman 2: Revolution. During a little ride out to an EB Games at a mall in Hattiesburg, I discovered a PS1 game with boxart featuring what was, to 4 or 5 year old me, a distinctly baby-looking Rayman.

While I didn't know what to make of this boxart, or why it only said "Rayman" (I was a dumb kid back then), it looked fun, not to mention way more colorful than R2 ever was, so my folks bought it for me. As I thought, this game was stunning with its cute, cartoony characters & uber colorful, picture-esque locales. I got a kick out of throwing long distance punches, dropping plums on enemy heads, & making friends with a big ol' mosquito. And to think, all this action went down........ in the first world.

Yeah, truth be told, I had never gotten past Band Land, so my experience wasn't a very long one (take one good guess as to why). What's an intermediate tyke without internet access to do? Ah well, It was nonetheless a blast with what little time I had with this game.

Times have changed since then, obviously, but I can guarantee that my short romp with the original Rayman will continue to stick with me for a long time.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Before everyone goes into a panic, I have to break some more news to you all.

Our favorite man can't join Smash because he's already in other fighting games.

That's right, Ryu is in Streets and Mahvel, he can't be in Smash too.

This means nothing, it's just more publicity for Rayman. Don't lose hope yet.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord

Brawlhalla is actually being published by Ubisoft so this could just be something they personally asked for and has no relation to Smash at all.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Guys, Rayman still has a shot in Smash because the studio behind Brawlhalla is owned by Ubisoft, and they can add whoever they want in the game without any NDA.
I wasn't ready for this plot twist.
Yeah, they've owned Brawlhalla for quite some time now

Last edited:

Jaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Jesus198
3DS FC
0018-0853-2663
I don't know how this could deconfirm or not Rayman in smash. Thank goodness he is being publicited in some form, waiting to see some gameplay of him in Brawlhalla. This was really a surprise though.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

I really hope it means nothing. Ryu's not the best example to debunk the mindset that's growing, because he's a fighting game character to begin with, unlike Sonic or Mega Man and Link.

Personally I would point to those 3 to knock out any deconfirmed assumptions.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
First I thought Rayman was going to beat the crap out of Yooka and Laylee but then I remembered that's Brawlout, not Brawlhalla lmao. I am glad that Ubisoft publishes the game, I don't want for this to mean deconfirmation/consolation prize.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
I don't know how this could deconfirm or not Rayman in smash. Thank goodness he is being publicited in some form, waiting to see some gameplay of him in Brawlhalla. This was really a surprise though.
If anything, his inclusion in Brawlhalla shows that Ubisoft cares for Rayman and for them to add him in a pretty popular game out of nowhere could mean that they have plans for him, or that they're trying to tell us something related to Smash. I mean, Brawlhalla is pretty much Smash Bros 2D.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
There's a backlash to this news that feels Waluigi-esque... take that how you will

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
20180902_204744.png

Oh, hello there, friends.

There's a backlash to this news that feels Waluigi-esque... take that how you will
I hope people realize quickly that it's not a deconfirmation yet, I don't want for our image to be ruined by a select few people who are missing the point.

Jaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Jesus198
3DS FC
0018-0853-2663
Also, isn't Shovel Knight in a game like this one? The game is called Rivals I think, and yet still he is in Smash (as an AT I know, but he is there).

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Guys, it being published by Ubisoft is an even worse sign... If Rayman is in Smash, Ubisoft would know, and they'd have complete control over him appearing in Brawlhalla anyway, and since Smash would obviously overshadow Brawlhalla, they just, y'know, wouldn't put him in Brawlhalla. Or at the very least, wouldn't advertise or announce that he's in it until after Smash, because, November is just way too close to its release date. It would just be bad marketing if he were in Smash at this point, everybody would skip Rayman in Brawlhalla and just get him in Smash instead.

It's a bad sign...

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Rayman is in Brawlhalla, can't be in Smash
Sonic is in Sonic the Fighters, he's out
Mega Man is in Mahvel, he's dead too
Pac-Man was in a mech in that one fighting game, RIP
Snake and Simon were in Dreammix, so long Konami
Cloud is in Dissidia, he's down for the count
Ryu has his own damn fighting series, gtfo
Congrats guys, Bayonetta is our only remaining third party

Again, this doesn't mean anything for Smash.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord

Bayonetta is in Anarchy Reigns?

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
I really hope it means nothing. Ryu's not the best example to debunk the mindset that's growing, because he's a fighting game character to begin with, unlike Sonic or Mega Man and Link.
Mega Man has been in Marvel v Capcom, so might want to nix him as an example to look at, too. (Although he might be the perfect example to go off of)
Or maybe he's a good example that a character can be in multiple fighting games.

Take it as you will.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Also, isn't Shovel Knight in a game like this one? The game is called Rivals I think, and yet still he is in Smash (as an AT I know, but he is there).
Shovel Knight might be trending but Ubisoft has more power than Yacht Club, and Rayman is much more iconic and historical in the industry

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

False equivalency. Brawlhalla is in the same niche in the market, and they put Rayman in for a reason. All those other examples are either irrelevant now, or don't exactly have Smash to worry about. I'm not saying this is a deconfirmation, but I can see why people are worried.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Guys, it being published by Ubisoft is an even worse sign... If Rayman is in Smash, Ubisoft would know, and they'd have complete control over him appearing in Brawlhalla anyway, and since Smash would obviously overshadow Brawlhalla, they just, y'know, wouldn't put him in Brawlhalla. Or at the very least, wouldn't advertise or announce that he's in it until after Smash, because, November is just way too close to its release date. It would just be bad marketing if he were in Smash at this point, everybody would skip Rayman in Brawlhalla and just get him in Smash instead.

It's a bad sign...
Nah it doesn't really affect them at all, Brawlhalla already has a well stablished audience and him being in Smash wouldn't overshadow it.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Nah it doesn't really affect them at all, Brawlhalla already has a well stablished audience and him being in Smash wouldn't overshadow it.
You realize him being in Brawlhalla is marketing for Brawlhalla, right? To get more players... that's why they'd use a familiar face like Rayman to get people on board. It's all about getting the sale.

And with that, if Rayman is in Smash, it negates everything. There'd be no reason to have Rayman to advertise Brawlhalla to new players (customers) when those new players (customers) would just get Rayman in Smash instead. It's not good...

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
After thinking about it some I came up with a conclusion.

While I think Rayman is not completely doomed, I think this is a noticeable hit for his chances.

I’m on mobile at the moment so I’ll clarify it later, some of the points have already been brought up though.

Top Bottom