• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman Revolution

EternalFlameGuy

Smash Cadet
Yeah. Last I checked, trademarks are still the same.
Ooonnn that note though, I went ahead and looked at the relevant trademarks for the leaked character too. Don't wanna get hopes TOO high, but... they do match. TAnimal can probably read them more accurately, but if I read it right, then they were both updated/renewed around the same time.

Last edited:

_Fun.Tendo_

Smash Cadet
Ooonnn that note though, I went ahead and looked at the relevant trademarks for the leaked character too. Don't wanna get hopes TOO high, but... they do match. TAnimal can probably read them more accurately, but if I read it right, then they were both updated/renewed around the same time.
You sure?

volbound1700

Smash Master
Yeah, this might be my LAST Smash game so it would be majorly disappointing to me but I did get most of my wanted IP in by Smash 4.

I grew up with Nintendo first parties (Mario, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Legend of Zelda) as well as Sonic and Megaman. Getting Megaman and Sonic where my two biggest hype characters. Pacman probably a distant third so Nintendo covered my most wanted.

I would have loved to see Crash, Rayman, Doomguy, Ryu Hayabusa, and/or Masterchief make it into Ultimate but it may not happen. Outside of Banjo, I really don't have any connection with any of the DLC picks. (I did play through DQ 11 and I have dled and playing through FF7 but I just cannot get as hyped about JRPG characters vs. classic platformer/FPS characters. I like Hero as a pick and play him a lot but I wasn't hyped about his addition).

Maupiszon

Smash Rookie
Okay so I see a lot has happened since I was gone and sadly couldn't speculate with any of you, beacuse I was at my friend's place so couldn't watch any E3 presentations, except for upcoming Nintendo Direct, but considering quality of the others... yeah I haven't missed much lmao.

For better or for worse I also have this small spark of hope (pun intended) that Rayman's current situation mirrors that one of Banjo two years ago - nothing at Microsoft presentation only to be blown away on his Smash reveal.

And while Rayman is probably the only character that I would be really sad to not see in this game and the fact that Ubisoft still keeps ignoring him, I'm still glad that Rayman's fanbase is still alive and kicking and with the series being dead officially it will always be alive if the fanbase keeps being this dedicated, not unlike that of Banjo-Kazooie or Earthbound - another dead series that are still remembered by their fanbases.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I posted this in the general thread but it is very surprising that we haven't got any fighters from the following three companies who are very active on Nintendo systems, worked on cross overs with Nintendo, and have great IP that fits Smash well:

1. Ubisoft
2. Komei-Tecmo
3. Namco-Bandei

The fact that all three companies have been left in the dirt with regard to Smash characters is shocking.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I'd like the attention of the crowd, please. Thank you.

Loose End Theory gets more credibility.

Sakurai wanted to add Heihachi back in Smash 4. But didn't because he couldn't figure out how to translate Tekken's style to Smash. Now we have Kazuya, but it's Tekken being in the game regardless.

Guys, Rayman's getting stronger. We're shooting for 11!

Last edited:

NotLedgerH

Smash Rookie
One funny, random thing I notice on the Smash Website is that each FP2 Character has matched the same color that the FP1 Character also has
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/279428456817885184/854405919740002344/bull****_theory.png
This is just something kinda weird I found, it is 99% just a coincidence
But if Rayman is the last Character and his background color is Purple, which will also probably just be a coincidence, I wanna be the one who called it out first

Last edited:

NotLedgerH

Smash Rookie
One funny, random thing I notice on the Smash Website is that each FP2 Character has matched the same color that the FP1 Character also has

This is just something kinda weird I found, it is 99% just a coincidence
But if Rayman is the last Character and his background color is Purple, which will also probably just be a coincidence, I wanna be the one who called it out first
Damn it my image won't load

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
Hey folks, created an account to post in this thread

Not gonna lie, I'm starting to feel that things aren't looking good for Ray, I ain't sure if they'd make him the final character personally. That said I'm still rooting for him to make it in despite the odds.
Considering that the first fighters pass ended with Byleth, I don't think they're looking to put in the 'big character' to always close the DLC so Rayman could definitely still make it, and I will not stop hoping until the very last moment!

JustASora/CrashSupporter

Smash Apprentice
I'd like the attention of the crowd, please. Thank you.

Loose End Theory gets more credibility.

Sakurai wanted to add Heihachi back in Smash 4. But didn't because he couldn't figure out how to translate Tekken's style to Smash. Now we have Kazuya, but it's Tekken being in the game regardless.

Guys, Rayman's getting stronger. We're shooting for 11!
The "Loose End Theory" is the only reason why I still have some sort of hope.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
Remember that even if, somehow Rayman doesn't make it, that doesn't mean we have to stop supporting our boy. I will not stop until he gets in Smash!

And, he's still playable in Super Smash Flash 2, so at least we can play as him in that!
1623781531586.png

Last edited:

AnAmusingFellow

Smash Rookie
Considering that the first fighters pass ended with Byleth, I don't think they're looking to put in the 'big character' to always close the DLC so Rayman could definitely still make it, and I will not stop hoping until the very last moment!
Eh, I just think that the last character's gonna be a first-party character or something, they usually save the most low-profile characters for last (like with Byleth in the first Fighters Pass)

Then again Bayonetta was the last character in Smash 4 so they could decide to end things with a third-party character who ain't Sonic/Pac-Man levels of popular

Honestly part of the reason I'm not acting too confident's because I don't wanna end up getting my hopes up since the last character's likely gonna be someone few people are talking about, like who brought up Kazuya before he got revealed? Especially since Heihachi's Mii costume returned beforehand so many people assumed a Tekken character was outta the running

Boorepellent

Smash Apprentice
It ain't over 'til it's over. I still think Rayman's got some good chances here. Spirits don't decomfirm, Ubisoft miis don't decomfirm, and western properties are on the menu. Rayman is incredibly unique, has that updated trademark activity going on, and lots of suspicious Ubisoft activity. It's too early to spell doom and gloom.

TINFOIL TIME: Heck, I even think the Kirkhope thing may bode well. (Grant Kirkhope worked on Mario and Rabbids 2 music , and mentioned that there was another project that he couldn't talk about. Could be some new B&K, but it MIGHT be a composition for Rayman in smash too.)

Last edited:

AnAmusingFellow

Smash Rookie
It ain't over 'til it's over. I still think Rayman's got some good chances here. Spirits don't decomfirm, Ubisoft miis don't decomfirm, and western properties are on the menu. Rayman is incredibly unique, has that updated trademark activity going on, and lots of suspicious Ubisoft activity. It's too early to spell doom and gloom.

TINFOIL TIME: Heck, I even think the Kirkhope thing may bode well. (Grant Kirkhope worked on Mario and Rabbids 2 music , and mentioned that there was another project that he couldn't talk about. Could be some new B&K, but it MIGHT be a composition for Rayman in smash too.)
I'll be honest, I'm kinda worried that the trademark might just lead to a Mii Costume or something, or might not even be related to Smash at all

And I know that even if Rayman doesn't get in Ultimate he can still get in a future game, but I'd love for him to join the roster while it's as big as it is, since the next game is most likely gonna have a lot of cuts (unless they just port Ultimate and add new content)

volbound1700

Smash Master
I'll be honest, I'm kinda worried that the trademark might just lead to a Mii Costume or something, or might not even be related to Smash at all

And I know that even if Rayman doesn't get in Ultimate he can still get in a future game, but I'd love for him to join the roster while it's as big as it is, since the next game is most likely gonna have a lot of cuts (unless they just port Ultimate and add new content)
At this point, a Mii Costume still feels like a minor win.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

I'd Prefer a Port over a New Game with nothing good.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Gonna go over the juice.

Loose End Theory:
The characters that are part of the Smash Ultimate Fighter Pass Vol. 2 were chosen somewhere around the same timeframe in which the base game released, December 2018. This includes characters who were considered to be too late to be considered for Ultimate's base roster, as well as FP1, which may have been decided many months before release, as well as revisiting abandoned ideas, and completing content. I will go over the entire FP2.

Min-Min: Considered by Sakurai to have released too late into Ultimate's development to be considered in the project plan. Spring Man was released as an Assist Trophy alongside a few ARMS spirits before Min-Min's arrival. Destroyed the Spirits rule.

Steve: Likely to have been negotiated alongside Banjo & Kazooie. Daniel Kaplan, co-founder of Mojang, confirmed that talks to include Steve in the game were happening over five years before his release, during the end of the Smash 4 era. Furthermore, hinted by an accurate leaker, (at the time, at least) Vergeben, around the time of Ultimate's release to be coming to the game.

Sephiroth: The most tinfoily as it's not based on any interviews or word from Sakurai, but clues in Ultimate. Final Fantasy did not gain any sort of content in the jump from 4 to Ultimate, disappointing many. No new spirits, (Not even a unique fighter spirit for Cloud), no new music, no items, nothing. All fixed with the inclusion of Sephiroth, almost as if this piece of the puzzle was held off from the start. Sephiroth was likely negotiated alongside Dragon Quest's Hero, and thus becoming a part of the "Seven Squares" character circle which circulated in leaks from Vergeben, (Including Sora, Crono, Sephiroth, Geno, Erdrick, Luminary, and Slime.) all the way back in the months around Ultimate's release.

Pyra & Mythra: In the same boat as Min-Min. Sakurai is a big fan of Xenoblade 2 and lamented not being able to include Rex as a character, as Xenoblade 2 just barely missed the bus for the project plan. Rex got a mii as compensation alongside 3 music tracks from XC2 and Spirits. Outside of that, Xenoblade felt a bit lacking, which was later corrected with the inclusion of the girls. Desecrated the corpse of the Spirits rule. Stabbed the series miis deconfim rule in the chest but nobody counted it since the Rex Mii was technically base game.

Kazuya: And finally, our newest addition. Like Steve, Kazuya's precedent dates back to the Smash 4 era. Heihachi, who was considered as a playable character by Sakurai, was deemed unfeasible as he was not confident in translating the feel of Tekken's gameplay into Smash at the time. Compensated by adding Heihachi as a costume in 4, and bringing it back in Ultimate with Min-Min's mii wave. Times change and Sakurai returned to the concept and brought us Heihachi's son instead. Took the series miis deconfirm rule's corpse and dropped it into an active volcano before laughing, since Heihachi's mii costume was added in this very fighter pass.

What this means for Rayman?
Accounting for the pattern we are working with here, it is safe to assume that whoever Fighter #11 is was set in stone around the time Ultimate released, and not in the year afterward. It is possible for many characters to fit this bill, but Rayman specifically checks so many boxes:
  • Possibly talked about since around 2013/2014 when Rayman Legends released and Nintendo was interested in publishing the series. Strange comment by Ancel regarding if Rayman could beat Mario.
  • Rayman's content DECREASED from Smash 4 to Ultimate, going from 3 trophies to a single spirit. Spirits take far less effort to put out, so this decision is strange. Could be saving spirits for a completely unique Spirit Board in the future.
  • Ubisoft's Mii Costumes added during Byleth's wave but EXCLUDING Rayman. Miis are seen as consolation prices for the more highly requested characters who couldn't make the cut at the time, so why did they opt for the least popular Ubisoft characters (at least within the Smash circle) for costumes when you could have pulled the band-aid on Rayman right there. Now with Kazuya's inclusion, fuel is added to the fire because it cements that costumes will not deconfirm characters who are to come as long as it's not THE character.
  • After Ultimate released, Ubisoft became very silent about Rayman in Smash, when before they were not afraid to be vocal to their fans about it. This includes removing a certain quote from their Siri-like bot in response to Smash, as well as a survey question regarding purchasing Smash DLC.
This coupled with Ubisoft and Nintendo's relationship getting stronger by the day, as well as Ubisoft being Nintendo's most successful third-party developer, all leads me to think that Rayman still has a strong chance at being Smash's final fighter. The competition may be rough, but what is speculation without a little hope?

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
It ain't doom and gloom yet, one more chance.
After Bayo and Corrin in Smash, Box Theory In Smash Ultimate base game, and 2 Fighter Passes, i have to say no.

This is not "doom and Gloom", this is just facing reality. Rayman came and went, and there was not a single mention of him anywhere on E3.

Im not gonna wait for disappointment, im not a wife waiting for her husband to come back from war. If you wanna wait for Rayman only to get someone else, more power to ya, but i've had enough.

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
After Bayo and Corrin in Smash, Box Theory In Smash Ultimate base game, and 2 Fighter Passes, i have to say no.

This is not "doom and Gloom", this is just facing reality. Rayman came and went, and there was not a single mention of him anywhere on E3.

Im not gonna wait for disappointment, im not a wife waiting for her husband to come back from war. If you wanna wait for Rayman only to get someone else, more power to ya, but i've had enough.
Well my mans it's not that deep, I'm just saying there's still a chance

Sure we get the short end of the stick (or no stick at all) often, but this ain't the first time fans of a character had to wait a long time to finally make it to smash (we're not even close to how long Ridley, K.Rool and Banjo fans had to wait).

Will we get the last slot? Maybe, maybe not.

But I don't plan to give up pushing for Rayman. There's always gonna be a new smash game, they'll always add at least a few fan picks in each one. We can win someday! I'm gonna stay on the train till the end 🙏

Top Bottom