• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - The Great Escape

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Ah well, if you and @SnarkyCrow don't want to make Twitter accounts, then that's your decision, and I'll respect that.

I have a ton of respect for this guy, subbed.

They were for a while, but they've been falling in popularity, I think their TV show is still on and they have a movie in development sigh.
I heard about the movie a long time ago...I doubt it will have any kind of success...I mean...they only do extremely silly things and going all "DAAAAAHH!"...but that's it...

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I heard about the movie a long time ago...I doubt it will have any kind of success...I mean...they only do extremely silly things and going all "DAAAAAHH!"...but that's it...
Hey, the Minions are getting a movie, they'll probably find some way.

Admittedly, I have a soft spot for the Rabbids, I did enjoy the first 2 games and Rabbids Go Home.

AndreaAC

Admittedly, I have a soft spot for the Rabbids, I did enjoy the first 2 games and Rabbids Go Home.
Oh, good point. the Minions are funny I guess...not that I liked the despicable me movies...

And it is great that you have that soft spot for them....>.> I can't seem to develop that myself as I have with other characters like Rayman himself, Ridley or Rayquaza...

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Oh, good point. the Minions are funny I guess...not that I liked the despicable me movies...

And it is great that you have that soft spot for them....>.> I can't seem to develop that myself I have with other characters like Rayman himself, Ridley or Rayquaza...
The Rabbids aren't for everyone (even I'm tired of them), but I did enjoy them at their high point. I still think Rabbids Go Home is a hidden gem on the Wii.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

Continuing from the Twitter thing, sorry about that, but I guess if I ever get the game itself (unlikely) I'll try to make a Twitter for this, if I don't make one for some other reason...

And as for the Rabbids....Same as Andrea...Sorry, but they nearly killed my love for Rayman at that time, and I dislike them with a passion because of that....Sorry...

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Continuing from the Twitter thing, sorry about that, but I guess if I ever get the game itself (unlikely) I'll try to make a Twitter for this, if I don't make one for some other reason...

And as for the Rabbids....Same as Andrea...Sorry, but they nearly killed my love for Rayman at that time, and I dislike them with a passion because of that....Sorry...
It's fine about the Twitter thing, that's your decision, not mine.

The Rabbids are what introduced me to Rayman (though it should tell you something that I stuck with Rayman rather then the Rabbids). In a way, I kind of thank them for introducing me to one of my favorite game franchises. That's why I have a soft spot for them.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
It's fine about the Twitter thing, that's your decision, not mine.

The Rabbids are what introduced me to Rayman (though it should tell you something that I stuck with Rayman rather then the Rabbids). In a way, I kind of thank them for introducing me to one of my favorite game franchises. That's why I have a soft spot for them.
Thanks. I appreciate that. :3

And yeah, I can understand that then, that's usually what happens to everyone, despite the character in question. But could I ask, what Rayman games have you gotten to play before?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The most recent one I can find is from 2009, and he only edges out Mario by a single percent.

Even if he is still the most recognizable... his days are certainly numbered.

Though this isn't really relevant to the topic at this point...

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Thanks. I appreciate that. :3

And yeah, I can understand that then, that's usually what happens to everyone, despite the character in question. But could I ask, what Rayman games have you gotten to play before?
The very first Rayman related thing I ever saw was the canceled Rayman 4 trailer with the Rabbids as zombies, I loved that trailer so much, I wanted the game, I wasn't even upset that it turned into a party game (I was pretty young at the time, and didn't know Rayman had a legacy). Raving Rabbids 1 was the first Rayman game I played, but Rayman 3 was the first real Rayman game I played.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
The very first Rayman related thing I ever saw was the canceled Rayman 4 trailer with the Rabbids as zombies, I loved that trailer so much, I wanted the game, I wasn't even upset that it turned into a party game (I was pretty young at the time, and didn't know Rayman had a legacy). Raving Rabbids 1 was the first Rayman game I played, but Rayman 3 was the first real Rayman game I played.
You sound like a young one it seems. :p But yeah, that's cool, I've seen that trailer before as well, but I don't remember if I saw it on tv first at the time or something. The only reason I got Rayman Raving Rabbids on the Wii was because of my brother, since he remembered I played Rayman games in the past before, being Rayman 1, 2, and 3.

But, it's cool that's how you started, you liking Rayman in the end shows how much you cared about him. :3 (And thank you for playing Rayman 3 at least once, thank you.) But I think if you could ever get the time, look for Rayman 2, either The Great Escape or Revolution, the one I got to play as a child...And honestly, I think is a better version of Great Escape, imo.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
You sound like a young one it seems. :p But yeah, that's cool, I've seen that trailer before as well, but I don't remember if I saw it on tv first at the time or something. The only reason I got Rayman Raving Rabbids on the Wii was because of my brother, since he remembered I played Rayman games in the past before, being Rayman 1, 2, and 3.

But, it's cool that's how you started, you liking Rayman in the end shows how much you cared about him. :3 (And thank you for playing Rayman 3 at least once, thank you.) But I think if you could ever get the time, look for Rayman 2, either The Great Escape or Revolution, the one I got to play as a child...And honestly, I think is a better version of Great Escape, imo.
I've played enough Rayman 2 to say it's a great game, but I've never beaten it. I was thinking about getting the 3DS version since I heard it was an okay port, despite some glitches.
I've also played Rayman 1, though I've never beaten that one either, though I am currently working on it now, the game is HARD.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
My first experience from a Rayman game actually came from a demo disk on the Dreamcast. The disk contained a demo of Rayman 2 on it. Since I really liked the demo, my parents got the game for the N64 since production for Dreamcast games were halted.
So yeah, I wouldn't be a fan of Rayman today if it weren't for that demo disk.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I've played enough Rayman 2 to say it's a great game, but I've never beaten it. I was thinking about getting the 3DS version since I heard it was an okay port, despite some glitches.
I've also played Rayman 1, though I've never beaten that one either, though I am currently working on it now, the game is HARD.
Ah, glad to hear that! :D I hope you can do it, good luck! ^u^

Rayman 2 was one of my first 3D platformers I own and loved, before the likes of Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, and was one of the first games I 100 percent'd, I loved that game to death. ^3^ Although I ended up liking Rayman 3 more for what it was, 2 and 3 are one of my favorite games of all time.

As for Rayman 1. Yes. It's hard...Really Hard...I never got to beat it as a child all those years ago...and I was so far too...I think I was nearly at the end of it...but nope, I couldn't do it... >.> But despite the difficulty, Rayman 1 was my first PC game and my favorite one to date. And it was that game is what made me love Rayman, he was my (and Andrea's too, I know amiga. >:3) childhood hero, my other being Sonic of course.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ah, glad to hear that! :D I hope you can do it, good luck! ^u^

Rayman 2 was one of my first 3D platformers I own and loved, before the likes of Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, and was one of the first games I 100 percent'd, I loved that game to death. ^3^ Although I ended up liking Rayman 3 more for what it was, 2 and 3 are one of my favorite games of all time.

As for Rayman 1. Yes. It's hard...Really Hard...I never got to beat it as a child all those years ago...and I was so far too...I think I was nearly at the end of it...but nope, I couldn't do it... >.> But despite the difficulty, Rayman 1 was my first PC game and my favorite one to date. And it was that game is what made me love Rayman, he was my (and Andrea's too, I know amiga. >:3) childhood hero, my other being Sonic of course.
xD You got that right! >u> I have the temtation to play R2 or R3 again...but, school won't let me...=u=

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
xD You got that right! >u> I have the temtation to play R2 or R3 again...but, school won't let me...=u=
Yeah, I know about that Andrea, sad to hear really. But you'll get the chance again soon enough, once that stuff is done and over with for a while. I think you should try to play them some more again whenever you go on break again, you deserve some fun time amiga. :3

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I have a confession to make:
I've never beaten Rayman 2. Why? Well, I found it tricky to control Rayman since I was playing the N64 version (I remembered how tight the game felt on the Dreamcast). Plus, given the limited space on an N64 cartridge, the voice acting sounded like it was bad take on the voice acting in Banjo-Kazooie.
I never got Rayman 3 because when I saw trailers for the game, I felt as though Rayman was too hip compared to the calm incarnation in Rayman 2. It turned me away from the game.
And then we arrive at Origins; again, I didn't want the game because I felt as though it looked weird. When I got the game for Christmas, I actually didn't look at it for a DAY. I finally gave the game a chance and let me tell you:
Origins singlehandedly revived my interest in the series. It felt different in a good way; there was no cheesy voice acting, the game felt tight, and most of all, it was FUN.
When Legends was announced, I didn't hesitate when I said this:
This was a game that I WANTED.
Legends may be better than Origins, but Origins holds a soft spot in my heart in that it made me rediscover Rayman.
Maybe I really don't know what I want. I never asked for Origins on Christmas, but boy, am I happy that I got it.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I have a confession to make:
I've never beaten Rayman 2. Why? Well, I found it tricky to control Rayman since I was playing the N64 version (I remembered how tight the game felt on the Dreamcast). Plus, given the limited space on an N64 cartridge, the voice acting sounded like it was bad take on the voice acting in Banjo-Kazooie.
I never got Rayman 3 because when I saw trailers for the game, I felt as though Rayman was too hip compared to the calm incarnation in Rayman 2. It turned me away from the game.
And then we arrive at Origins; again, I didn't want the game because I felt as though it looked weird. When I got the game for Christmas, I actually didn't look at it for a DAY. I finally gave the game a chance and let me tell you:
Origins singlehandedly revived my interest in the series. It felt different in a good way; there was no cheesy voice acting, the game felt tight, and most of all, it was FUN.
When Legends was announced, I didn't hesitate when I said this:
This was a game that I WANTED.
Legends may be better than Origins, but Origins holds a soft spot in my heart in that it made me rediscover Rayman.
Maybe I really don't know what I want. I never asked for Origins on Christmas, but boy, am I happy that I got it.
The way you skipped R3, made me think back to everyone that skipped Gen 3 back in the day. xD But well, we all had our preferences...As long as you like Rayman, either way that's cool.

And I have to agree with the voice acting in R2: The Great Escape. Maybe because I played Revolution first, I have a bias after just playing some of The Great Escape on an emulator. But it's still good, I still get my nostalgia rush from playing it again. ^3^ But, I really prefer R2: Revolutions over The Great escape, I think it just added what was already a great game and made it more worth while. imo. :3

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Quite a few people tried to tell me that Mega Man is super iconic because they knew who he was, but Rayman wasn't iconic because they had never heard of him. By that logic, wouldn't Mega Man not be iconic since I had never heard of him?

Rayman has had large amounts of merchandise, he even got his own set of Happy Meal toys, did Mega Man ever get any?

And if having cartoons/movies makes one iconic, Snake happens to have a movie on the way. Besides, just about everything from the 80's/90's had a cartoon. There was a bloody Battle Toads cartoon, and they're one of Rare's more forgotten games.

@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux

I hope this is good enough...
View attachment 39884
I could have uploaded this like 2 hours ago, but screw the shadow at the bottom...*Sigh*...I did the best I could...
It's glorious! And it seems Mr. Fly already worked on the alts, thanks! I should have the OP updated in no time.

It seems I've missed the 100th page in my absence, but I'm glad to see things are lively as ever.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
James is here, guys! Act professional!:)
*He says as James likes his post. :p

Hi @ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux Glad to see you again. :3

Quite a few people tried to tell me that Mega Man is super iconic because they knew who he was, but Rayman wasn't iconic because they had never heard of him. By that logic, wouldn't Mega Man not be iconic since I had never heard of him?

Rayman has had large amounts of merchandise, he even got his own set of Happy Meal toys, did Mega Man ever get any?

And if having cartoons/movies makes one iconic, Snake happens to have a movie on the way. Besides, just about everything from the 80's/90's had a cartoon. There was a bloody Battle Toads cartoon, and they're one of Rare's more forgotten games.

It's glorious! And it seems Mr. Fly already worked on the alts, thanks! I should have the OP updated in no time.

It seems I've missed the 100th page in my absence, but I'm glad to see things are lively as ever.
:4greninja:'d

And NP. Glad to have helped. :3 Thanks. ^u^

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
My biggest worry about Rayman is that (from what I can tell) he's not that big in Japan.
I honestly think that may be the case, I'm sure he's more popular in the west then over there, like other characters like Ridley and such. But that's the issue, they really need to stop giving Japan the most attention, when most of Smash Bros fanbase is in America. :/

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
On the Megaman subject, I do feel some people discredit him too much. He may not be as big as some, but he is certainly popular and iconic in his own right, he's not a random character, he got in for a reason.

wut
*google*

oooookay.
You okay Ly.png

That is the face of someone who's seen some ****.

Last edited:

ender_idk

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:
Im not sure if i want the robopirate or globox more. . . A teensie would beat both of them probably

"Cough":4littlemac:"Cough"

Frankly I don't see that as much of an issue anymore. Little Mac proves that just because a character is not popular in japan, Does not mean it lowers the chances of said character.

Proof of this, if you haven't already heard: http://legendsoflocalization.com/what-does-japan-think-of-little-mac-in-smash-bros/
To be fair pinch out was pretty damn big. Plus he was absurdly popular. I dont think not being popular in japan only would be a problem especially with rayman legends being nintendo in japan. Not like rayman is completely unknown.

I still say shulk is the japanese little mac

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104

Yeah!

Tell em, James!
Tell them that our limbless hero can hold his own against the Blue Bomber!

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Im not sure if i want the robopirate or globox more. . . A teensie would beat both of them probably
Ly though. :/ But Teensies are good too...

On the Megaman subject, I do feel some people discredit him too much. He may not be as big as some, but he is certainly popular and iconic in his own right, he's not a random character, he got in for a reason.

View attachment 40290
That is the face of someone who's seen some ****.
Yeah. I'm not sure if this is well known, but his games have been on mostly Nintendo consoles, the Classic games being all on NES, SNES and the Wii. Only Megaman 8 being the only one to be on something else, but it's mostly always been Nintendo. He has a really close connection to Nintendo's history.

And yeah, that Ly stare. o.O

But I still want a Ly toy or a darn plushie or something. >u>

Last edited:
Top Bottom