• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - The Great Escape

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
These are the only good Raving Rabbids.:troll:

And by good I mean absolutely terrifying!:joyful:

There's actually a Rayman / FNAF parody comic by EarthGwee of DeviantArt! Check it out!

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
These are the only good Raving Rabbids.:troll:

And by good I mean absolutely terrifying!:joyful:

There's actually a Rayman / FNAF parody comic by EarthGwee of DeviantArt! Check it out!
I would ask for a mod but you won't exactly be seeing much of Rayman huh?

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
Eh, never really cared much for FNAF.

I admit, the only good Rabbids game that I played is Rabbids Go Home, and I wouldn't mind of them making a sequel to that in the same vein for the Wii U. But Rayman is my main priority out of Ubisoft now.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Late reply, internet is still out at home.
I have played Rayman Legends and the Challenges App constantly before the game released, and I still don't really find him as a character that stands out gameplay-wise. From all the Rayman games I seen footage of, his only options is his fists, feet, and the ability to shoot out a yellow projectile, none having a very distinct characteristic.
You've only played the games with the least amount of inspiration. Rayman has so much to pull with from Rayman 2 alone, so just going off of Legends isn't doing him justice. You're also forgetting his helicopter hair, which no one in Smash has (unless we ever get Dixie, and even then hers is different. Which would give him a gimmick similar to Peach's floating, except with downward movement. If you think he's not unique enough, then he should take lessons from Sir Spins-a-lot. :4sonic:

I think he would probably go as far as the tip of Shulk's Monado when he does a Smash attack, going farther than that would be weird to control with. I don't it's likely he'll hit the farthest, but he'll probably hit and knockback opponents farther than Shulk since he doesn't cover as much range.
Weird to control with? Mega Man's forward smash. Palutena or Snake's up smashes? Rayman's forward smash would be around Mega Man's range, and his up smash would be somewhere around Palutena's.

He'd still probably have the same hitbox as every other character. The head and torso are relatively big targets. Could you explain how the projectile things work further? I'm not sure what you are getting at here.
Think when a character ducks. Snake for example, he was so low that Fox's lasers passed right over him. Fox's lasers would just pass between Rayman's feet and torso without hitting him (just an example, of course). Rayman is actually quite small, so he would be harder to hit in general.
Don't get me wrong, he is unique, he's just not as gameplay unique as Rosalina or Olimar.
If "all Rayman does is punch and kick" then all Rosalina does is swing her wand around and create galaxies out of her dress, and all Luma does is bland physical attacks. It's all about perspective, Olimar is unique, he's not "just throwing Pikmin around." Just like Rayman doesn't just throw punches.

I don't understand, why do people hate the Rabbids? the "annoyingness", screaming, and design was meant to be a big joke, and they actually did a pretty good job of doing that. But I still actually love them, just because they make everyone think they're "bad"
They marketed Raving Rabbids as Rayman 4. That game never came. Instead we got a decent party game starring Rayman, but it did start to get old after the second one. The main reason most of us hate them is because they were the cause of the gap between Rayman 3 and Rayman Origins, eight years before we got a proper Rayman platformer. We still don't have Rayman 4.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
It's sad to look back at Murphy's last words in Hoodlum Havoc("See you in Rayman 4!") and think that said game is a very long way ahead.

Speaking of Hoodlum Havoc, I know people tend to forget about it, but the soup can powerup thingies are perfect for moves. The grapple claw and homing fist are the best of them to adapt imo.

And as for Rayman's Assist Trophy...well, there are a plethora of options.

Moskito: Can fly around and sting fools. Probably the simplest one to implement.

Mr. Skops: We have Giratina as a Master Ball summon, so Skops isn't unfeasible. Can sit there shooting his claw or the energy from his tail.

Mr. Dark: Can stay in place, conjuring fire balls and fire walls, mimicking his boss routine. I'd die of happiness if this happened.

Robo Henchmen(or whatever they're called): Summon it, have it move around, firing energy spheres and doing melee attacks with the claw.

Ly: Have her give a Silver Lum to the summoner, granting a power boost not unlike Victini, Xerneas and Riki.

Grogoloth: is 2big Scale it down to Yellow Devil's size and have it shoot bombs, stomp on enemies and fire energy spheres.

Reflux: Guy can cast lotsa magic. Just see which attacks to adapt.

Hoodlum scarecrow thingy: Or whatever it's called. They have rifles. Easy.

Murphy: More based on his Legends incarnation than anything. Maybe interact with the player like he worked with the GamePad?

Barbara: Yeah, this seems the likeliest. Adapt the Legends attacks and boom.

Origins Magician: what a jerk I forgot. Did this guy have ANY sort of attacking move in Legends? I haven't played it in a while

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
It's sad to look back at Murphy's last words in Hoodlum Havoc("See you in Rayman 4!") and think that said game is a very long way ahead.

Speaking of Hoodlum Havoc, I know people tend to forget about it, but the soup can powerup thingies are perfect for moves. The grapple claw and homing fist are the best of them to adapt imo.

And as for Rayman's Assist Trophy...well, there are a plethora of options.

Moskito: Can fly around and sting fools. Probably the simplest one to implement.

Mr. Skops: We have Giratina as a Master Ball summon, so Skops isn't unfeasible. Can sit there shooting his claw or the energy from his tail.

Mr. Dark: Can stay in place, conjuring fire balls and fire walls, mimicking his boss routine. I'd die of happiness if this happened.

Robo Henchmen(or whatever they're called): Summon it, have it move around, firing energy spheres and doing melee attacks with the claw.

Ly: Have her give a Silver Lum to the summoner, granting a power boost not unlike Victini, Xerneas and Riki.

Grogoloth: is 2big Scale it down to Yellow Devil's size and have it shoot bombs, stomp on enemies and fire energy spheres.

Reflux: Guy can cast lotsa magic. Just see which attacks to adapt.

Hoodlum scarecrow thingy: Or whatever it's called. They have rifles. Easy.

Murphy: More based on his Legends incarnation than anything. Maybe interact with the player like he worked with the GamePad?

Barbara: Yeah, this seems the likeliest. Adapt the Legends attacks and boom.

Origins Magician: what a jerk I forgot. Did this guy have ANY sort of attacking move in Legends? I haven't played it in a while

These are all good choices. For the Origins Magician, the only thing he did in Legends is turn the characters into ducks with magic. That and he summoned boss monsters, but that's pretty much it.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
@ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A Personally I count Rayman Origins as 4 and Legends as 5. Until an actual Rayman 4 comes out, I'll see the other 2 as such since they're main entries and they take place after the 3rd main game.

@ Rayman4Smash Rayman4Smash He also had technology. I guess they could use that as a springboard since he built the Moody Clouds, those Mechas, his Undersea Mansion, the security systems of both places, his getaway vehicle and that serpent.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Very late response coming:
You've only played the games with the least amount of inspiration. Rayman has so much to pull with from Rayman 2 alone, so just going off of Legends isn't doing him justice.
What are they and how do they function exactly? Are those abilities you are referring to inherited within Rayman himself?

You're also forgetting his helicopter hair, which no one in Smash has (unless we ever get Dixie, and even then hers is different. Which would give him a gimmick similar to Peach's floating, except with downward movement. If you think he's not unique enough, then he should take lessons from Sir Spins-a-lot. :4sonic:
He does have his helicopter hair, but I don't expect any use for it except for gliding really, it is just one move that Rayman probably won't rely on much in terms of playstyle.

Weird to control with? Mega Man's forward smash. Palutena or Snake's up smashes? Rayman's forward smash would be around Mega Man's range, and his up smash would be somewhere around Palutena's.
Yeah, this is probably the range that I could see Rayman with, just not as far as over half the battlefield.

Think when a character ducks. Snake for example, he was so low that Fox's lasers passed right over him. Fox's lasers would just pass between Rayman's feet and torso without hitting him (just an example, of course). Rayman is actually quite small, so he would be harder to hit in general.
This is assuming Rayman's torso (and other parts that aren't his feet) are far apart from the bottom, making Rayman pretty tall, which would be weird. I think he'll be able to dodge Link's bow uncharged and close-up, but I don't think he should be able to dodge Fox's laser gun.

If "all Rayman does is punch and kick" then all Rosalina does is swing her wand around and create galaxies out of her dress, and all Luma does is bland physical attacks. It's all about perspective, Olimar is unique, he's not "just throwing Pikmin around." Just like Rayman doesn't just throw punches.
It's not so much about how diverse the moves look that makes it unique, it's how the character and his/her moves functions and how it creates a specific kind of playstyle that makes the opponent approach the player in attacking in a different way, that's what makes a character really unique. What does Rayman provide that can provide different approaches for the opponent and the player?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
@ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A Personally I count Rayman Origins as 4 and Legends as 5. Until an actual Rayman 4 comes out, I'll see the other 2 as such since they're main entries and they take place after the 3rd main game.
From what I remember, it takes place after 2 after the original "Rayman 1 prequel" idea was scrapped, so to me it's not Rayman 4, but hey, everyone's opinion.

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
Very late response coming:

What are they and how do they function exactly? Are those abilities you are referring to inherited within Rayman himself?

He does have his helicopter hair, but I don't expect any use for it except for gliding really, it is just one move that Rayman probably won't rely on much in terms of playstyle.

Yeah, this is probably the range that I could see Rayman with, just not as far as over half the battlefield.

This is assuming Rayman's torso (and other parts that aren't his feet) are far apart from the bottom, making Rayman pretty tall, which would be weird. I think he'll be able to dodge Link's bow uncharged and close-up, but I don't think he should be able to dodge Fox's laser gun.

It's not so much about how diverse the moves look that makes it unique, it's how the character and his/her moves functions and how it creates a specific kind of playstyle that makes the opponent approach the player in attacking in a different way, that's what makes a character really unique. What does Rayman provide that can provide different approaches for the opponent and the player?

Look, I don't want to sound like a jerk about all of this, but why are you supporting Rayman if you don't think he would be a unique fighter?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
When has Pac-Man ever thrown fire hydrants or used his own enemies as weapons? Or the fruit for that matter.

Rayman has plums, powder kegs, walking shells, laser washing power ups, a plethora of enemies and allies alike, and more.
He would, actually. Unlike Peach, who can only float once, Rayman can slow his descent for as long as he's in the air, and attack whilst doing so. This opens up the possibility for him to be an air fighter in the same was as Jigglypuff, without the extra jumps.
The lasers were an example (I couldn't recall the height off the top of my head), I just used it because it's a small projectile that could pass by Rayman, unlike Samus' charge shot. Link's arrows are another good example, actually.
But you're working under the assumption that Rayman doesn't have unique functions. You're only looking at him as "oh, he has no arms" which is the same as "oh, Olimar only has Pikmin." If you're going to be biased about it and not dig deeper, of course you're only going to get something bland at face value, I made the comments about the other two to prove a point, it's what you're doing.

Rayman has so many tools to work with that he could end up in many different playstyles, but I personally see him as more of a zoning aerial fighter with a focus on grappling. His lack of limbs would likely give him the longest grab range in the game. He would have a lot of mind games, with his deceptive attack range and ability to either float to the ground or fall quickly (I picture him having a very fast fall speed, around Fox, and while using his helicopter, he would slow to around Jigglypuff's). His attacks and grabs would also be hard to tell apart, so anyone going against him might try to shield an "attack" only to get grabbed. He could be sort of a glass cannon, he's quick, he's powerful, and his small frame makes him hard to hit, but it also make him easy to send flying. But he also has so many tools for recovery, he could even have a "tether" recovery by throwing out his fist.

And with how Sakurai comes up with things, I have no doubt that Rayman would be even better than imagined.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
When has Pac-Man ever thrown fire hydrants or used his own enemies as weapons? Or the fruit for that matter.

Rayman has plums, powder kegs, walking shells, laser washing power ups, a plethora of enemies and allies alike, and more.

He would, actually. Unlike Peach, who can only float once, Rayman can slow his descent for as long as he's in the air, and attack whilst doing so. This opens up the possibility for him to be an air fighter in the same was as Jigglypuff, without the extra jumps.
The lasers were an example (I couldn't recall the height off the top of my head), I just used it because it's a small projectile that could pass by Rayman, unlike Samus' charge shot. Link's arrows are another good example, actually.

But you're working under the assumption that Rayman doesn't have unique functions. You're only looking at him as "oh, he has no arms" which is the same as "oh, Olimar only has Pikmin." If you're going to be biased about it and not dig deeper, of course you're only going to get something bland at face value, I made the comments about the other two to prove a point, it's what you're doing.

Rayman has so many tools to work with that he could end up in many different playstyles, but I personally see him as more of a zoning aerial fighter with a focus on grappling. His lack of limbs would likely give him the longest grab range in the game. He would have a lot of mind games, with his deceptive attack range and ability to either float to the ground or fall quickly (I picture him having a very fast fall speed, around Fox, and while using his helicopter, he would slow to around Jigglypuff's). His attacks and grabs would also be hard to tell apart, so anyone going against him might try to shield an "attack" only to get grabbed. He could be sort of a glass cannon, he's quick, he's powerful, and his small frame makes him hard to hit, but it also make him easy to send flying. But he also has so many tools for recovery, he could even have a "tether" recovery by throwing out his fist.

And with how Sakurai comes up with things, I have no doubt that Rayman would be even better than imagined.
Yeah get him James! Honestly though @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 you always do this, you always say that a characters not unique despite not knowing much of the character, you always go against the grind for the sake of going against the grind, no other reason. Why? And speaking of uniqueness your main is Dark Pit, enough said. I don't mean to attack you but seriously dude, stop.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
You guys misunderstand me, I definitely think he is unique (as I have said before in this thread) in a visual sense. I'm not trying to detract or anything (I don't really like doing it anymore since I last argued in the Isaac thread), just trying to keep it straight based on Sakurai's complicated uniqueness philosophy.

I think it's better if I moved this current discussion to the Character Discussion thread. I'll talk back to you James about it later.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
From what I remember, it takes place after 2 after the original "Rayman 1 prequel" idea was scrapped, so to me it's not Rayman 4, but hey, everyone's opinion.
I've been trying to ascertain where Origins fits chronologically, and based on the references to the other games (which is all the in-game evidence I can go on) I'm confident it takes place after 3. He has the post Rayman 3 look, Lums are all anthropomorphic like Andre, there's at least one Teensie who likes disco, the game references Ray and Globox's tendancy to be sleeping when trouble starts, and we have the Land of The Livid Dead.

Globox in R2 and R3 was cowardly, but as of Origins he's a brain dead brawler with no concept of danger. TBH it would be odd for him to be fearful in 2, a daredevil in Origins but then return to cowardice in 3. I know Ancel and his team reshape the Glade in each game, then handwave the changes as century-long events that occured while Rayman slept; that could even explain why the main games vaguely reference each other and why it's tough to place anything in a coherent timeline.

That of course is just my perspective, and if Ancel says differently I'll change my opinion. For now however, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
You guys misunderstand me, I definitely think he is unique (as I have said before in this thread) in a visual sense. I'm not trying to detract or anything (I don't really like doing it anymore since I last argued in the Isaac thread), just trying to keep it straight based on Sakurai's complicated uniqueness philosophy.

I think it's better if I moved this current discussion to the Character Discussion thread. I'll talk back to you James about it later.
Well the way you said it sounded like you're thinking that Rayman would be no different from the rest of the fighters and his inclusion wouldn't be worth it while we have just stated the contrary with more valid arguments than your's. The way you argued sounded like you implied that Sakurai would go the cheap and easy route by slapping together a bland playable Rayman with little or no special attention, which would be completely untrue if you look at Pac Man and Mega Man. And even if Sakurai would have trouble coming up with any moves for Rayman, that doesn't mean Ubisoft themselves couldn't be involved in it, as they can use their own assets to give Rayman moves for Smash Bros. Besides, they could do more than just making Rayman trophies for Sakurai, you know.

Sorry if I sound rude, but I find your arguments to be nothing but bald-faced hypocrisy and holds little to no contribution to what we're doing here. So yes, I say it's best that you took your negativity elsewhere from here.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Add me to the list. I would like to see Rayman in the new Smash Bros game as a playable character.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

We can certainly continue in the character thread, but I'll leave a small note here for now. Rayman is extremely unique in a visual sense, yes, but he is also unique from a gameplay perspective as well. When I said that he could be as unique as the most unique newcomers in Smash 4, I was by no means stretching my words. Remember that some of the more unique characters only became unique because Sakurai put his own spin on them (no one ever would have imagined Rosalina using a Luma, and many people believed that Mega Man would be a Samus clone), while Rayman already inherently has a uniqueness about him, Sakurai's own vision could end up making him more unique than any character, no one knows how Sakurai works, but he does it.

Sakurai never really had a complex uniqueness philosophy, a lot of people (yourself included, though don't take this as an attack) read far too much into what Sakurai says. The only true criteria he ever gave for third parties was that they had to have at least one game on Nintendo consoles, they had to be important enough, and they had to bring something to Smash that a regular Nintendo character wouldn't. So far, Rayman fits all of those criteria. Remember, Sonic does nothing but spin, he's one of the blandest characters on the roster moveset wise, but he still brought something uniquely Sonic and Sega to the roster, which is what I believe Sakurai was referring to in regards to third party uniqueness (Snake being the most unique, as he contrasts Nintendo).

I don't believe you are detracting, but displaying (far too much) caution in believing in a character (though I do have to question how you rate other third parties higher, bias or otherwise). If you take anything from this, let it be this: As speculators of the Smash community, we often go out of our way to think like Sakurai. Some of us try to go the most obvious route, and some, like you, take the opposite route (and go a little too far, I think) in trying to imagine the most out there characters possible. While we all run around trying to figure out Sakurai, it's often far more simple than we think. Thinking like Sakurai is only going backwards.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So, guys, this is a little off topic but quite a few pages back we were discussing how there was a finished game waiting to be released from Ubisoft. Well that game could very well be ZombiU 2.

Last edited:

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
So, guys, this is a little off topic but quite a few pages back we were discussing how there was a finished game waiting to be released from Ubisoft. Well that game could very well be ZombiU 2.
If that's true, then that means Ubisoft has finally realized that the Wii U is finally picking up and that they changed their minds about not making M-rated games for the system. But you know how these Amazon listings are. It could be fake. Besides, didn't Ubisoft said that they're working on a family-friendly game?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If that's true, then that means Ubisoft has finally realized that the Wii U is finally picking up and that they changed their minds about not making M-rated games for the system. But you know how these Amazon listings are. It could be fake. Besides, didn't Ubisoft said that they're working on a family-friendly game?
They never stated what kind of game they were making, to my memory. And Amazon France is infamous for leaking games that end up being correct, Killzone Trilogy, Last of Us PS4 bundle, Black Ops II, and the European only, Assassin's Creed Anthology.

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
They never stated what kind of game they were making, to my memory. And Amazon France is infamous for leaking games that end up being correct, Killzone Trilogy, Last of Us PS4 bundle, Black Ops II, and the European only, Assassin's Creed Anthology.

I see. Well, if it really is the case, then it could be a good sign of Ubisoft finally putting their faith in Nintendo again after the Wii U's better sales with Smash Bros and they've changed their minds of making Watch Dogs their last M-rated game after the reception of Bayonetta 2. And if good faith and relations between Nintendo and Ubisoft are restored, chances for a certain limbless character to join Smash via DLC grows even greater, hopefully.

But I recalled Ubisoft saying that at last E3, they're working on several mystery games for the Wii U, with said completed game to be family oriented, which isn't the new Just Dance, I hope.

But given that Nintendo stated that they'll be working with third parties for Wii U titles this year, do you suppose that they'll have a hand in making ZombiU 2? If so, then I wouldn't be surprised if a Samus or Luigi costume makes an appearance in it, ala Bayonetta 2.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Ubisoft making more Nintendo games would definitely be nice, and it certainly wouldn't hurt things, but it wouldn't particularly help Rayman either. Snake got in Brawl just because Sakurai wanted to do it for his good buddy Kojima, and with his criteria of "only needing a single Nintendo game," Sakurai just doesn't care how close a third party is.

I figure that if Ubisoft asked for Rayman to be in the game but were just too late, Rayman would be considered for DLC instead.
This is also why I think Snake has the highest probability of returning. If Kojima asks, why wouldn't Sakurai do it?

Anyway, is anyone here free for some Smash? I have the limited opportunity to play online (Wii U) and I'm itching for a match.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
If Kojima asks, why wouldn't Sakurai do it?
I'd love the possibility of Snake/Rayman/Sylux as DLC and whatnot...but the dude needs a break. Maybe he wants to, but values his rest more(feel free to debate it).

That's the one thing worrying me about DLC; whoever does it. If Sakurai takes his very well-earned break after Mewtwo, who would handle future characters(if any)?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'd love the possibility of Snake/Rayman/Sylux as DLC and whatnot...but the dude needs a break. Maybe he wants to, but values his rest more(feel free to debate it).
He does deserve a break, but if he cared about that more, he wouldn't have started on Mewtwo in the first place.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'd like to add my support. I only got into Rayman recently (got Rayman Origins for Christmas about two years ago, and got Rayman Legends and Rayman 2 for the N64 since then), but aside from Snake making a return, he's my most wanted third-party character. (Plus, while I'm sure it's been discussed to death, I find it ridiculous that they got the rights to use him but only included him as a trophy - I know Nintendo published the Japanese versions of Rayman Origins and Legends, but that only explains so much!)

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
Add me to the list. I would like to see Rayman in the new Smash Bros game as a playable character.
I'd like to add my support. I only got into Rayman recently (got Rayman Origins for Christmas about two years ago, and got Rayman Legends and Rayman 2 for the N64 since then), but aside from Snake making a return, he's my most wanted third-party character. (Plus, while I'm sure it's been discussed to death, I find it ridiculous that they got the rights to use him but only included him as a trophy - I know Nintendo published the Japanese versions of Rayman Origins and Legends, but that only explains so much!)
Welcome to the Glade, guys!:)

Anyway, is anyone here free for some Smash? I have the limited opportunity to play online (Wii U) and I'm itching for a match.
What time are you available to play?

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
I'll be ready in a little while. Just to warn you, I'm a bit of a novice at this. But if you do see me, I have a surprise in store for you. ;)

In what regards of Rayman, may I ask?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'll be ready in a little while. Just to warn you, I'm a bit of a novice at this. But if you do see me, I have a surprise in store for you. ;)

In what regards of Rayman, may I ask?
Alright, what's your NNID?

Just someone in the character thread who said that they were getting interested in Rayman being in Smash.
I'll finish up my homework as soon as possible to join you guys. Meanwhile, @ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux can you send me a friend request?
Just did so.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Just someone in the character thread who said that they were getting interested in Rayman being in Smash.
Yes, that would be me.

Something about his potential play style (detached limbs and all) seems somewhat interesting to me. It sounds like it could be quite fun in a game like Smash.

Perhaps if I could be convinced of his qualifications as a Smash candidate, I might support the idea. I'll admit, my knowledge of Rayman is quite minuscule, so I'm not exactly sure who he is or where he stands in the history of gaming and Nintendo.

Oh you mean @ False Sense False Sense , He's a pretty cool dude.
Embarrass

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
Alright, what's your NNID?

Just did so.
My NNID is SuperAbachiBro Just give me a minute here, I'm just finishing up an errand.

That's great! Keep on spreading the word to all over! The more the merrier! :D

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Something about his potential play style (detached limbs and all) seems somewhat interesting to me. It sounds like it could be quite fun in a game like Smash.

Perhaps if I could be convinced of his qualifications as a Smash candidate, I might support the idea. I'll admit, my knowledge of Rayman is quite minuscule, so I'm not exactly sure who he is or where he stands in the history of gaming and Nintendo.
Well, I've already been going about with Blue Pikmin for it, but I'd be glad to give you a run down!

Rayman was "born" in 1995, first appearing on the Atari Jaguar. Though his first game wasn't on Nintendo consoles, and was most famous as a Playstation game, he still started out with a very interesting history with Nintendo. His first game started production for the SNES, it had two player co-op and everything, though that (and other things) was scrapped when production shifted.

His second game did come to Nintendo, however. Rayman 2: The Great Escape, often heralded as one of the greatest games of the time, and even the best of the franchise, brought a lot of things to the table and really put Rayman on the map. The sheer number of times that this game has been ported is ridiculous, it's been on everything from the DS to a phone. A lot of Rayman's potential for specials come from this game, including the classic energy sphere that was his main form of attack in the game.

Rayman 3 changed the formula a bit, but it did bring some cool stuff, like the Laser Washing Powders. These powerups changed Rayman's outfit and gave him unique abilities for a short time. The best way I can see these implemented are as Rayman's custom specials, as detailed in my moveset. After this came the Rabbids games... we don't talk about those.

Rayman Origins and Legends went back to the classic 2D format, but definitely came out more fluidly and speed oriented than the first game, which relied more on combat and platforming. They also gave Rayman the perfect attacks to use as standard moves for Smash. Like seriously, he's got the tilts, the dash, the smashes, the nair, bair, fair, dair, uair, etc.

He was also made Ubisofts mascot some time in the early 2000's, so he certainly has importance to them and the industry.

In regards to Smash, there are so many ways he can be made unique. He has a projectile attack, but he also has physical attacks with the range of projectiles, he would probably even have the furthest grab range. His helicopter hair gives him a unique option, while normally he would fall very fast (around Fox speed), at the press of the jump button, he could slow his fall to Jigglypuff's floatiness, the mind games and tactics to be made of this are numerous. Naturally, he'd be amazing in the air, but he's also a competent grounded fighter, though keeping opponents off of the ground is definitely in his interests.

We'll definitely be glad to have you on board as well!

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, I've already been going about with Blue Pikmin for it, but I'd be glad to give you a run down!

Rayman was "born" in 1995, first appearing on the Atari Jaguar. Though his first game wasn't on Nintendo consoles, and was most famous as a Playstation game, he still started out with a very interesting history with Nintendo. His first game started production for the SNES, it had two player co-op and everything, though that (and other things) was scrapped when production shifted.

His second game did come to Nintendo, however. Rayman 2: The Great Escape, often heralded as one of the greatest games of the time, and even the best of the franchise, brought a lot of things to the table and really put Rayman on the map. The sheer number of times that this game has been ported is ridiculous, it's been on everything from the DS to a phone. A lot of Rayman's potential for specials come from this game, including the classic energy sphere that was his main form of attack in the game.

Rayman 3 changed the formula a bit, but it did bring some cool stuff, like the Laser Washing Powders. These powerups changed Rayman's outfit and gave him unique abilities for a short time. The best way I can see these implemented are as Rayman's custom specials, as detailed in my moveset. After this came the Rabbids games... we don't talk about those.

Rayman Origins and Legends went back to the classic 2D format, but definitely came out more fluidly and speed oriented than the first game, which relied more on combat and platforming. They also gave Rayman the perfect attacks to use as standard moves for Smash. Like seriously, he's got the tilts, the dash, the smashes, the nair, bair, fair, dair, uair, etc.

He was also made Ubisofts mascot some time in the early 2000's, so he certainly has importance to them and the industry.

In regards to Smash, there are so many ways he can be made unique. He has a projectile attack, but he also has physical attacks with the range of projectiles, he would probably even have the furthest grab range. His helicopter hair gives him a unique option, while normally he would fall very fast (around Fox speed), at the press of the jump button, he could slow his fall to Jigglypuff's floatiness, the mind games and tactics to be made of this are numerous. Naturally, he'd be amazing in the air, but he's also a competent grounded fighter, though keeping opponents off of the ground is definitely in his interests.

We'll definitely be glad to have you on board as well!
Well, this is certainly quite informative. I appreciate the obvious amount of effort you've put into your response. :)

Now, if I may ask one more question... Why, in your opinion, should Rayman be in Smash?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
@ Rayman4Smash Rayman4Smash

Oh god that last match had me in stitches, nice custom stage mate.

Well, this is certainly quite informative. I appreciate the obvious amount of effort you've put into your response. :)

Now, if I may ask one more question... Why, in your opinion, should Rayman be in Smash?
Personally speaking, Rayman is my favorite character and it would be the greatest thing ever. But I certainly think he has his merits, as Ubisofts mascot and having an amazing franchise, along with his potential and the fact that he fits perfectly.

Last edited:

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
@ Rayman4Smash Rayman4Smash

Oh god that last match had me in stitches, nice custom stage mate.
Hey there! Sorry for leaving you hanging there. I just had dinner with my parents. But I'm back now, and I'm ready for Round 4 with you!

Thanks! Though I have to admit, there's still some bugs that I'll need to work them out. There's plenty more ideas that I have in mind.

Top Bottom