• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - The Great Escape

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
In terms of popularity, Rayman finds himself in an awkward position.

On one hand, he's not as obscure as, say, Bayonetta. I mean, it's not like Rayman has to be in Smash to make his franchise more well known. He's iconic enough on his own, which is something other characters can't brag about.

But on the other hand, Rayman isn't a pop culture icon like Sonic is. Sure, he's well known among the gaming community, but outside of that, the mainstream aren't as familiar with Rayman as they are with Sonic. I mean, Japan has historically been a bad market for Rayman games sales wise.

Personally, I find that Rayman should be the last third party character they should add. He's one of the few gaming icons left that would fit perfectly in Smash. And you know what?

Rayman is a famous character. Even if the Big Four dwarf him in popularity, he's still an icon by himself. He is by no means a no name to the world of gaming.
I just hope Sakurai shares this sentiment.

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, then I must of seen it in my Youtube account, then saw it posted here. My bad.
Haha sorry dudes, didn't meant to confuse you :chuckle:

On one hand, he's not as obscure as, say, Bayonetta. I mean, it's not like Rayman has to be in Smash to make his franchise more well known. He's iconic enough on his own, which is something other characters can't brag about.

But on the other hand, Rayman isn't a pop culture icon like Sonic is. Sure, he's well known among the gaming community, but outside of that, the mainstream aren't as familiar with Rayman as they are with Sonic. I mean, Japan has historically been a bad market for Rayman games sales wise.

Personally, I find that Rayman should be the last third party character they should add. He's one of the few gaming icons left that would fit perfectly in Smash. And you know what?

Rayman is a famous character. Even if the Big Four dwarf him in popularity, he's still an icon by himself. He is by no means a no name to the world of gaming.
Well said! And I think that might be the problem: Sakurai's perception on Rayman. But we really don't know. Just because he's with Nintendo all the time, doesn't mean that he's got no clue or appreciation left for the rest of the gaming-world. I mean, if it comes to recognition, he praised Valve's Steam platform as a great service for example. This guy's not locked inside the box, for sure.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

upload_2015-3-3_20-17-22.jpeg

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Haha sorry dudes, didn't meant to confuse you :chuckle:

Well said! And I think that might be the problem: Sakurai's perception on Rayman. But we really don't know. Just because he's with Nintendo all the time, doesn't mean that he's got no clue or appreciation left for the rest of the gaming-world. I mean, if it comes to recognition, he praised Valve's Steam platform as a great service for example. This guy's not locked inside the box, for sure.
Even though this isn't Sakurai, it seems as though some people at Nintendo play other consoles.
Proof:

Not to mention, the team that is working on Splatoon have played Call of Duty and Battlefield.
So, it seems as though the folks at Nintendo have an open mind.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Well, I just finished filling out the poll.
As I bid you guys a good night, let's plan on spreading this poll around to people tomorrow. We could use some more supporters to show Nintendo that there is demand for DLC.
Let's keep on fighting, guys. Ubisoft knows how much demand there is for Rayman to be in Smash. Now it's time to make Nintendo notice.
Good night, guys. Never give up.
#KeepOnFighting

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Please vote @PushDustIn 's MegaSmash Poll here:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/17deELX ... s/viewform
Try to spread the word about the poll, he needs as much results as he can!
Done...even if it was kinda hard to answer some of the stuff like the time the game took to develop...I only remember the whole year of Pyrosphere's reveal... >.>

But oh well, Rayman and Ridley for DLC, always.
As I bid you guys a good night, let's plan on spreading this poll around to people tomorrow. We could use some more supporters to show Nintendo that there is demand for DLC.
Let's keep on fighting, guys. Ubisoft knows how much demand there is for Rayman to be in Smash. Now it's time to make Nintendo notice.
#KeepOnFighting
:) Good night.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Please vote @PushDustIn 's MegaSmash Poll here:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/17deELX ... s/viewform
Try to spread the word about the poll, he needs as much results as he can!
Done this as well. Tried to answer all I could...So I hope this helps...

#KeepOnFighting
Good Night, and take care...

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
#KeepOnFighting
It's really cool to see how Ubisoft notices the fan interest for playable Rayman in Smash and quite possibly shares it, but that doesn't prevent me to look forward the future of the franchise itself outside of Smash. Legends was super fun, but I hope a new game is being developed for the 3DS and/or Wii U and that we will see more diversity from Rayman that just 2D platforming. A Nintendo exclusive would be cool but I'm not sure it's realistic to expect that; if not the case I'd hope to see something cool exclusive to the Nintendo version like, say, giving him powers like Mario's Fireball, Pikachu's Thunder, or even from a bit less iconic characters like Little Mac's KO Punch or Ness' PK Flash, by scanning their respective amiibos. (In addition to the game's regular and original power-ups, of course!) I think it would work wonderfully for a 3D platformer Rayman with enough emphasize on combat.

Though I guess it's more wishful thinking than anything else... but I have high hopes for an awesome Rayman game as a launch title for the next Nintendo console.

Anyway, I love those kind of polls for the Smash community and for my wanted DLC characters I voted for those in my signature, including Rayman of course!

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
It's really cool to see how Ubisoft notices the fan interest for playable Rayman in Smash and quite possibly shares it, but that doesn't prevent me to look forward the future of the franchise itself outside of Smash. Legends was super fun, but I hope a new game is being developed for the 3DS and/or Wii U and that we will see more diversity from Rayman that just 2D platforming. A Nintendo exclusive would be cool but I'm not sure it's realistic to expect that; if not the case I'd hope to see something cool exclusive to the Nintendo version like, say, giving him powers like Mario's Fireball, Pikachu's Thunder, or even from a bit less iconic characters like Little Mac's KO Punch or Ness' PK Flash, by scanning their respective amiibos. (In addition to the game's regular and original power-ups, of course!) I think it would work wonderfully for a 3D platformer Rayman with enough emphasize on combat.

Though I guess it's more wishful thinking than anything else... but I have high hopes for an awesome Rayman game as a launch title for the next Nintendo console.

Anyway, I love those kind of polls for the Smash community and for my wanted DLC characters I voted for those in my signature, including Rayman of course!
Exactly my thoughts. I wouldn't be mad if it isn't a Nintendo exclusive... I wouldn't even be sad. I would grant Ubisoft to spread this game on as many platforms as possible, because such type of games have already a hard time nowadays. So it should gain the biggest success possible. This would allow the game to have a more continued stream of sequels - something that lacked after the release of Rayman 3 in 2003.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
So, I found this great remix of Band Land.
Good I love this track, I hope it will make its way into Smash if Rayman becomes playable.
Also if you notice, the background looks awfully fimilar. ;)

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Good I love this track, I hope it will make its way into Smash if Rayman becomes playable.
Haha, I see that it's your drawing. :D Cool.

And wow, that's sounds pretty good. It brings back memories. TuT

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I've said it many times before and I'll say it again. If Mega Man is big enough to get into Smash, Rayman is more than qualified. Rayman is the mascot of a company that is larger than Capcom, he's barely behind Mega Man in sales, which don't count the Raving Rabbids titles (which would shoot him way higher than Mega Man). Many people think Rayman isn't iconic for sole reason of them not knowing who he is, yet in all my life up until Brawl, I had never heard of the oh so legendary Rockman. Age doesn't even matter, Rayman is a mere few years younger than Sonic, and he turns 20 this year, a major feat for any franchise. His creator, Michel Ancel, was one of the first three game developers ever knighted by the French Minister of Culture and Communication, and guess who else was knighted right alongside him? Shigeru Miyamoto. He met Miyamoto.

I can keep going, who wants to make excuses against Rayman?

Jaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Jesus198
3DS FC
0018-0853-2663
Excellent , I love it! And the Rayman's face is more near.. and near.. and near..

I've said it many times before and I'll say it again. If Mega Man is big enough to get into Smash, Rayman is more than qualified. Rayman is the mascot of a company that is larger than Capcom, he's barely behind Mega Man in sales, which don't count the Raving Rabbids titles (which would shoot him way higher than Mega Man). Many people think Rayman isn't iconic for sole reason of them not knowing who he is, yet in all my life up until Brawl, I had never heard of the oh so legendary Rockman. Age doesn't even matter, Rayman is a mere few years younger than Sonic, and he turns 20 this year, a major feat for any franchise. His creator, Michel Ancel, was one of the first three game developers ever knighted by the French Minister of Culture and Communication, and guess who else was knighted right alongside him? Shigeru Miyamoto. He met Miyamoto.

:smash:

Last edited:
Gonna go try and finish Rayman 3. Had it on the backlog for a real long time. But I can't play Goldensun/DKCRTF/etc while i autofarm customs with smash tour. Xbox awayyyyyy

Jaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Jesus198
3DS FC
0018-0853-2663

"Do you remember this game? It's a classic" By Rayman Facebook.

Could it be Kid Icarus NES?

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

Could it be Kid Icarus?
*Flashbacks to Game Over jingle*

I'M FINISHED~! ;w;

Yes, it is indeed Kid Icarus. Rayman's sporting Pit's costume and it's even got the HP and hearts gauge up in the corner. I like this. It's a pretty cool homage~ :3

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

We totally need costumes for every Smash character, perfect Amiibo usage for Legends/new Rayman game there.

We already have Mario and Luigi.

Also, random reference to Sakurai's adopted baby. Smash teasing? *Illuminati nachos*

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
We totally need costumes for every Smash character, perfect Amiibo usage for Legends/new Rayman game there.

Also, random reference to Sakurai's adopted baby. Smash teasing? *Illuminati nachos*
This is something interesting, i must say.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

I would pay good money to see Rayman in a blue tank-top and black sweatpants. :3

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Please. I'm hurting :rotfl:

rayman as :4rob::4gaw: would probably look silly as hell as well

PS in google image search "smash bros trophy" rayman is the very first result. "super Smash Brothers trophy" puts him at 2nd.
it's the old, high looking one though
I think a visor shaped like R.O.B.'s eyes, plus the claw-pads and a grey / red colour scheme would suffice for R.O.B.

Just paint him black for Geedubz, eyes included; he's already got the huge nose and two-dimensional style.

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

Rayman Facebook account trying to get Sakuari's attention confirmed.

Oh so your doing that arguments idea I suggested? If that's the case then here's some I've heard.

"Rayman is not a Japanese video game character."
"Rayman doesn't deserve to get in because of Ubisoft."
"We have enough third party characters."

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Rayman Facebook account trying to get Sakuari's attention confirmed.

Oh so your doing that arguments idea I suggested? If that's the case then here's some I've heard.

"Rayman is not a Japanese video game character."
"Rayman doesn't deserve to get in because of Ubisoft."
"We have enough third party characters."
*Cough*

1. :4littlemac: in the game.
  2. Same could have been said (and I think has) with :4pacman: and the other 3rd parties to ever been in the game.
  3. There's nothing that been stated that there is a limit, it's up to Sakurai.

Top Bottom