• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

Calling @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 :smirk:

Chance 38%
mario characters sell. paper mario is also popular from being from the mario franchise and has been for a while.
too many reps is a fanmade rule that doesnt make sense because its the flagship series.

Want 50% i loved this guy back in brawl but my love has faded from being mia except for a game i refuse to buy. That and he has been replaced by captain toad in wanting.

Prediction 90%
not everyone believes or knows about the leak.

Noms
2 viridi
2 viewtiful joe
1 roy has his awakening attire as his default.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 it's your time to shine

paper mario change:30%
Paper mario a character who in my opinion has earned a spot in smash alot more than a few characters on the current roster(looking at you doc)He may be a mario look a like but anyone who has ever seen or played a paper mario game knows that they are nothing alike.Paper mario could easily be unique and is series is still kicking(despite the poor reviews) and is one of the few nintendo rpgs left.If nintendo wants to add another rpg and mario character paper mario is your guy

paper mario want:60%
i love the paper mario series but that doesn't mean i doesn't mean i wouldn't want characters from the mario,yoshi,or wario series before him.I think waluigi,kamek,ashley,mona, and captain syrup all deserve to be in smash before paper mario but damn if paper mario hasn't earned a spot and is a great candidate for smash than i don't know what is

roy predicition:
change:99%
want:40%
let's be honest not a lot of people want him but we have come to expect him(expect me i want all vets to return)

slippy x5

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Gotta keep the amounts of Marios you put in 1 smash game to a minimum... or else it will explode. This has been proved by a Smash scientist.

Nominating King Harkinian- oh wait... he originates from the CD-I...

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Paper Mario
Chance: 30%
He's got a lot of potential for a unique moveset, since the Paper Mario games are some of the more creative entries in the Mario series. I'm sure Sakurai would see the potential as well, but part of me wonders if he just sees "lighter, softer-hitting Mario".

Want: 65%
The Thousand Year Door is one of my favourite games, and done right, Paper Mario would make an interesting addition to the roster.

Roy prediction: 86.32%

Nominations: Phoenix Wright x5

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
PAPER MARIO
Chance: 20%
- It's Mario. Paper or not, Mario is Mario

Want: 0%
- No. No, no, no, no, NO. I don't care. We have Mario, we have Dr. Mario. We don't need any more Marios. I could go off on a big salt-fest about him, but I won't because I already saw some saltiness here earlier today.

Prediction: Roy - 80% Chance/65% Want
- Note, my prediction does not reflect my opinion

Nomination: Wolf Link/Shadow Wolf and Midna x5
- Werewolves are cool
~
Also, back when we were all on the topic about NPCs becoming playable, I decided to go on ahead and make another countdown video for my Top 5 picks. Here is the link in case any of you would like to watch it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpZGcHwRL-o&feature=youtu.be. What can I say? I'm trying to get started.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Paper Mario -
Chance: 13%
I can't give him a lower ranking than third-party Indie's, but I still don't find him all that likely. There's too many factors that go against him. First of all, we've got THREE more Mario characters as is in this game compared to that of Brawl. It is true one's a veteran, but still, Dr. Mario wasn't in Brawl. Then we also have to take into account who they'd consider next.

The only two characters to have two versions of themselves in the game right now are Mario and Link. Zero Suit Samus and Sheik technically count, but they were originally variations of Samus and Zelda, respectively, before being split into separate characters, so those are special cases.

For Mario and Link, Dr. Mario and Young Link were created as easy clones. Young Link was replaced with Toon Link, who played the same role.

When we consider what characters were picked to have a separate playable variant of themselves, and for what reasons, there's really no valid reasoning for picking Paper Mario. And that also does not take into account the fact that Mario spinoffs are pretty much always ignored in Smash, and even then there's so many far more highly requested Mario characters.

I just do not see it being all that likely all things considered.

And no, moveset potential means jack crap in this scenario. If anything, the fact that he wouldn't be a clone is the thing that would keep him out.

Too much Mario. Well, in all seriousness, all things considered, there's far, far more characters I'd want over Paper Mario. Paper Mario is probably the lowest of the low as for characters I really want to see.

Predictions -
Roy: 95%

It just seems that, all things considered, most will give him a 99%-100% ranking, while others will rank him 80-90 due to the slim chance of this data being leftovers and the characters aren't actually being worked on, which is unlikely (this data was found in a patch).

Nominations -
Lip (Panel de Pon) x5

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Paper Mario

Paper Mario has spun off a bit as his own, but he definitely doesn't have the pull of any other characters in the series. The series as a whole has only four games - Let's face it, Waluigi and Daisy both have more exposure to the Mario series as a whole than the paper guy does, and both have been requested for a while. All are from spin-offs, but those two are much hotter than another Mario.
Paper Mario does have recent exposure, however. His most recent game is only three years old, so he is in the minds of some people.
But he's still ANOTHER Mario. Before we even get a deserved DK newcomer? Or Ridley?
Besides, some Paper Mario elements have been used in the game since Brawl. Look at the design of Peach's parasol - that's not Perry...Even though we didn't get the Shadow Queen alt we should have, some Paper Mario has made the jump. Just not the little guy.

Let's face it, it's another Mario. We've already got two.
"But Cap, Paper Mario will be totally different! Remember, Sakurai wants to be faithful* to the series and..."
Yeah, tell that to Falcondorf. Besides, look at all the faithfulness we got from Wario-the-fartman as well. You can already see how totally different Falco plays from Fox, or my favorite Toon Link and Link [/sarcasm]. Despite Wind Waker having a host of stuff, Toon Link is still stuck as a clone. And despite Ganondorf being the most incredible bada** and perfect amalgamation of all of his appearances in Hyrule Warriors (also a spin-off...just like Paper Mario is to the Mario series), Smash Ganondorf still has a death grip on a moveset that really should go to Black Shadow. Potential doesn't mean squat.
*sidenote - I was typing too fast and accidentally spelled this as 'failthful.' I had to fix it, but this term is so apt in some circumstances...
So no, thanks. Give me Daisy. Or Waluigi. Or pretty much any Mario series character before another Mario.
Particularly if we're getting something failthful to the series. I like this new word.
Predictions: Roy
Chance: 93.4%, Want: 43.4%
I have a feeling Wolf will no longer be alone in the got-a-higher-chance-than-want club. The leak still isn't a guarantee, but it will be interesting to see tomorrow...
Nominations:
Moar Ridley x5​

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Paper Mario - Will he fall flat?

Chance: 40% - I don't think this is too far fetched (:083:). Paper Mario does have stage representation in the 3DS, and the Paper Mario realm is different from the normal Mario series. Paper Mario does have enough of a push I believe to be considered, but not enough to be a ballot winner. Nope, this is one of those characters who has to be chosen by developers, but does he have a chance? Well, at the risk of a pun, I believe he has a "slim" chance.

Want: 60% - I have to admit, the idea of Paper Mario "sounds good on paper", and I'd like to see what they do with it. He could be a summoner character, summoning different partners to help him attack. Of course, he's not a major want of mine, but I definitely believe he'd be interesting. However, I'll have to take off points for over representation of Mario. This does not mean "oh, there are too many Mario's in the game. That's rather a poor argument in my opinion. In my eyes, Paper Mario IS NOT the same as Mario. Think of them as different universes. I look at these two, and bottom of the line, I don't see a clone. If he were another clone, I'd have a problem, but just because he is a different form of Mario is no reason for me to take off points. Really, I'm taking off points because the Mario series has a lot of representation. While Mario and Paper Mario might be from alternate universe or dimensions, they are from the same series, and I think Mario has gotten enough love for now.

...Also, I'm taking off points for possible Sticker Star representation. Curse you sticker star, you took my love of Paper Mario, crumpled it up, and threw it away. Maybe Paper Mario Wii U will recycle it?

Predictions: :4roy: err, I mean :roypm:. *sigh* This one will be interesting. There will be many polar opinions. I believe I was going to give him a 94.6% originally. I'll go with that for chance, but for want? Well, let's wait and see. This. Will. Be. Fun.
Get ready Roy, we're "tearing" into your chances.

Nominations:
Still going easy on the "Roy as Marth alt" for reasons of upcoming ratings, so:
X5 this is the last Smash Bros game.

Also, I apologize for all the paper puns. I couldn't resist.

D

Deleted member

It's-a me, Paper-a Mario!

He has a better shot than most of the other characters we've rated, but Sakurai's imagination can go one of two ways:
  • He's another Mario clone and therefore is ignored.
  • He is unique and at least worth looking into.
Considering there's already a Paper Mario stage without the eponymous character playable, I'm leaning towards the former. However, enough ballot votes with detailed descriptions could possibly change Sakurai's mind, though looking at Ridley's situation, I doubt it.

Want: 50%

I'd be indifferent if he were included. I may question the decision to include a third incarnation of Mario at first, but then it'll probably grow on me over time.

Prediction: "Roy's our boy!" - 95%

People who jump to conclusions too soon said:
OMG TEH LEEK IS REEL GUYZ!!!!
Hopefully, at least some of us have learned from Gematsu and Artsy Omni to take leaks with a grain of salt. I'm sure it's real too, but it could be outdated. Sakurai can easily change his mind last minute.

Nominations: Simon Belmont x5

Bill Nye

Smash Rookie
Paper Mario
Chance: 7%
He's pretty popular, but people are already complaining about too much mario representation, and he has competition from other popular characters.

I feel the Captain Toad (or any Toad) should be the next mario newcomer without a doubt. I also wouldn't mind seeing Waluigi for the lulz.

Nominations: Agnes Oblige x 2
Ridley x 3

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Paper Mario
Chance: 15%
Want: 5%
I really don't want a Third Mario put into the roster. As much as I love Thousand Year Door I just don't want to see happen.

Nom: Ryu x5

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
:drmario:'Marios':mariomelee:

:4mario:'Marios Everywhere'...:4drmario:

Paper Mario

Chance: 35%
The obvious argument against Paper Mario is that he'd not only be another Mario rep but another Mario period. Of course it is unlikely Sakurai looks at it this way (seeing as Mario is Nintendo's number 1 cash cow$$$) but at the same time you feel he may look at the fans perspective as well...I'm not entirely sure how likely Paper Mario is but I feel like he'd be one of the most likely new Mario reps to come in DLC (if we get any that is). Captain Toad is still getting his push with a new game, so he is unlikely going to get added at least for this round of smash I feel...other names I've seen include Daisy (no thnx) and Geno (he still counts as a Mario character right?) and Waluigi (afflicted with the NPC curse)...
the Paper Mario games are immensely popular and even arguably a separate franchise all it's own (similar to how we got the whole Toon Zeldaverse and Toon Link in the game as a separate character from Link).
In terms of uniqueness Paper Mario would be yet another 2d character, after GnW while his moveset would involve some usage of this 2d mechanic perhaps...not to mention the use of his hammer (which isn't completely unique with DDD, Kirby and ICs, but it is one of his main weapons), in other words Paper Mario would not be a clone of Mario if he was added, at least he shouldn't be...so that is another thing in his favour

Mario is one of the few franchises in this game that has received two newcomers, but it also had a veteran return being Dr. Mario (another Mario)...so the likelihood, even though reps and such doesn't really matter, will drop a bit because of that...but at the same time I'm assuming Nintendo likes to make money and if Paper Mario becomes DLC it will definitely sell...especially since the fans have asked for Paper Mario for a while...it's just a matter of what the plans are for DLC...I would definitely expect Paper Mario in the next game though...

I don't really want a 3rd Mario in the game...

...says the guy calling for a third Link....

...but...

. . . . does it really count as Link if he's a different species? . . . .

...anyway, yeah I'm not a fan of having three of the same character in one game (with one exception;))...at the same time Paper Mario could bring something different to the game that other characters won't be able to...he may be another Mario but at least he 'should' not be a carbon copy of the other two...So I give a bit of leeway because he may be fun to use...but I'd really rather not...
Waluigi and Toad are pretty much the only Mario newcomers I'd give a hoot about to be honest...

I feel like the 'I don't want a third Mario' statement is going to be a common thing in this discussion....

Prediction: 97.3%
:roypm:Our Boy
Am I optimistic that the sound files pretty much guarantees Roy's coming back?...no....It pretty much does since it was actually patched into the game...The only reason we'd get less than 100% is because Sakurai can be a troll and can be just f*cking with us...Wolf will most likely be dethroned tomorrow...

Nominations:
Werewolf Hero & Imp Princess x5
...sounds like fun, don't it? admit it!

sogeki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MexicanSaiyan
Paper Mario:
Chance: 45%. He is what one member of the group I like to call "The unlikely three." This group is made of FIRST PARTY characters that are highly voted, like, top 10, but have little chance of getting in. (The other members are Chibi Robo and Sceptile.)
Want:100%. Paper Mario:TTYD is my 6th favorite game of all time.

Roy Prediction: 93.72%.

Nominations: Concept: Cross promoting DLC characters to sell new games x5.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Yep, this is not looking good as I expected so, not going to rate.

Meaning to not tag me in the day. I can't actually believe he's the ONLY one so far whose rating is really not accurate.

It wouldn't matter if I explained myself given how it goes so far....

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 roy predicition:
change:99%
want:40%
let's be honest not a lot of people want him but we have come to expect him(expect me i want all vets to return)
Wow, I guess him getting Top 2 in a Japanese poll was a fluke. And him getting 5th in a post release poll with Lucina in the game already was also a fluke as well. You learn something everyday...

(ahem)

Paper Mario

Chance: 40%

I really do think PMario could be a unique character and be a worthwhile addition to the roster though he has quite a lot of obstacles to get by for that to happen. For one, theirs the stigma of being "another Mario" that really damages his chances because people absolutely refuse to see anyone with the title "Mario" in their name despite his potential unique moveset he can bring to the table. It's also the same reason why people oppose YLink because they hate the idea of their being another Link. Then theirs the whole "rep" business that everyone gets worked up about because "X character can't get in because X series has too many reps!" (what they basically say in a nutshell). I wouldn't say that he's a hopeless case though it'll be pretty rough for our 2-D hero to get in Smash.

Want: 75%

Sure, i'm totally down for PMario's inclusion in the game. I loved PM64 and PM:TTYD from back in the day so it would be really something to see PMario in the game.

Prediction
Roy: 99%

Nominations
Bomberman X3
Ninten X1
Young Link X1

Last edited:

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Paper Mario
Chance- 15%
For some reason, I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai wouldn't really care that much about having three Marios in the game. Oh, and he has a stage.
Want- 15%
Hmm. Paper Mario. He could actually have a pretty great move set and I loved the first three games. Also, I… umm… no, resist… I don't want to see three Marios. Sorry, but it's true.

In my ideal scenario, Doctor Mario is a palette swap for Mario next game around, and Paper Mario is the individual, unique character. But it's too late for this game so… next time around!

Roy Predictions- 94%
Nominations:

Ridley x2
Crono x2
Lip x1

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Paper mario

30%

I would have done way higher but its the amount mario reps we have in this, too many for anymore.

But we do have a paper mario stage in the 3DS version so thats one sign of possible playable

And maybe the ballot will help him i would be so glad to be wrong.

Want 95%

MAKE IT HAPPEN

This guy is more deserving than the doctor version.

Prediction

95% - 99% range.

Nominations

Roy (fire emblem) 5x

Last edited:

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
Paper Mario
Chance: 50%
I haven't the foggiest. Does Sakurai feel that Mario's had enough love this time around? (Yes, I know that they probably don't think in reps, but he has already put in two newcomers and a returning veteran. He might have the same perception we do--we just don't know.) Also, there's relatively little content from the RPGs anyway. I think they were lucky to get the stage.

Want: 25%
I wouldn't be against it, but if there's a character from the RPGs, I'd prefer someone other than Mario. Like, say, Fawful. Yes, Fawful. Smash needs more chortles.

Roy
Prediction: 99,5%
There will be a few who will leave in that caveat 1%, but we all know what rating he's going to get.

Nominations:
Abraham Lincoln (Code Name: STEAM) x1
Ridley x1
Concept: Any Star Fox character DLC near Star Fox U release date x3

MainJPW

M.T.A
Paper Mario

Chance: 40%

Despite being another Mario he would really bring a unique moveset to the table and would differ enough aesthetically that it wouldn't matter.

Want: 80%

I would love to see some Paper Mario representation, I would be totally fine if he got in!

Roy: 98.9%
Nominations:
Concept: DLC Costumes for Characters x3
Ninten x1
Viridi x1

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Paper Mario

Chance: 30% He does have potential for a unique moveset. And we do have a Paper Mario Stage though. That said though, he doesn't seem to be that high on the Ballot going by the reddit, Smashboard, Gamefaqs etc polls that asked which character we voted for.

Want: 50%- That said I really enjoyed the Paper Mario Games especially TTYD. So why not?

Prediction:

Roy: 91.51% The sound files are there and the dataminer who discovered it also uncovered data for Hyrule Warriors and Mario Kart 8 DLC which did end up being in those games.

Nominate Agnes Oblige x5

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I bet half these people writing him off as a "third Mario" would readily welcome a Young Link with a Majora's Mask movekit.

Paper Mario

Chance: 35%

Gotta be honest, it's not looking too good for the dude. Unless a new Paper Mario is revealed at E3 and thrust him back in the limelight and the Paper Mario stage is used as momentum, maybe?

Want: 100%

Partners for Specials
Pixls for Aerials and Throws
Paper and Sticker Abilities for Smashes and Strongs
Star Beam for the Final Smash

The moveset practically writes itself. Paper Mario would be one of those characters where all that would need to be done as far animating the character would be to literally cut and paste the animations from the Paper Mario games and apply them into a Smash kit. Moveset potential should never be an argument against this guy. Plus Paper Mario and TTYD are among my Top 10 games and Super Paper Mario is one of my go-to "unwind" games so I'm massively biased but too bad. =P

Predictions:
Not-Eliwood: 95%

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
To compare with my other ratings. I'm of the opinion that Nintendo will milk the DLC hype train for as much cash as they can, and recent events have only strengthened that notion. As such, I expect plenty of DLC characters.

:wolf: Chance: 99%

King K. Rool Chance 80%
Want: 75%

Bandanna Dee Chance: 70%
Want: 95%

NPC DLC Character Chance: 65%

Isaac Chance: 65%
Want: 85%

Captain Toad Chance: 58%
Want: 90%

:popo: Chance: 50%
Want: 80%

Inkling Chance: 50%
Want: 20%

Rayman Chance: 40%

:snake: Chance: 40%
Want: 60%

Dixie Chances: 39%
Want: 49%

Sceptile: 25%

Impa Chance: 25%

Banjo Chance: 20%

Krystal Chance: 15%

Quote Chance: 10%
Want: 95%

Shantae Chance: 5%
Want: 15%

Shovel Knight Chance: 3%
Want: 70%

Henry Fleming Chance: 1%
Paper Mario Chance: 55%

He's doing decently well on the online polls... but there is no way those are even remotely accurate. He's just another version of Mario, a character who already has a separate version of himself in the game... But if we were to get a 3rd version of any character, I'd bet it would be Mario. He's got plenty of potential for a unique move set... but so did these guys :4ganondorf::4tlink::4darkpit:. (EDIT: I'm not saying he WOULD be made into a clone if he got in. I'm saying that he COULD be made into one if that's all Sakurai saw fit to make him as) He's got a stage in the 3DS version... but judging by the stages design and name, it is meant to represent the entire Paper Mario franchise, defeating the purpose of adding Paper Mario to do so.

Basically, I think he has a shot, but he's gonna have to do really well in that ballot for Sakurai to take notice.

I feel like I'm overrating him a bit, but I'm kind of forcing myself too...

EDIT: I boosted my score a little bit, due to the fact that I pressured Adelero into making an argument for Paper Mario, and he actually gave good points, but I don't feel comfortable giving him any higher then this. Gonna chalk it up to a gut feeling, but I really, reallllllly doubt he's actually doing well in the polls. I'd kill for an official release of the results of the polls, I'm so curious what the actual numbers are.

Because my bias is making it REALLLLLYYYYY tempting to under rate him.

I don't want Paper Mario in this game. At all. I'm sorry, he's the only character I dislike that I feel bad for doing so, but I really don't want him. I've only played Super Paper Mario (Which I loved) but if we get a third version of Mario, before... well, just about any other character, I'd be upset. Especially if they put time and effort into making Paper Mario a unique character. There are so many other characters, several from the Mario series, that I would need to get into the game before I'd start warming up to the idea of Paper Mario being a playable fighter. He's also one of very few characters that, if they were to get into the game via DLC, that I probably wouldn't buy.

:roypm: Predictions: 97%

I can't wait too see what scenarios people come up with to explain why he WON'T make it in :rotfl:

Noms:
x5 Ridley

I bet half these people writing him off as a "third Mario" would readily welcome a Young Link with a Majora's Mask movekit.
Yes, the people who don't want three versions of a character would want three versions of a character.

Wait...

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
He's got a stage in the 3DS version... but judging by the stages design and name, it is meant to represent the entire Paper Mario franchise.
Are you sure, all I saw was one representation of the Thousand Year Door (good Paper Mario game), and the rest was just throwing more Sticker Star at us (based on my previous post, I'll let you guys fill in the gap on how I feel about Sticker Star).

Yes, the people who don't want three versions of a character would want three versions of a character.

Wait...
Not going to lie, I at first thought you were refering to the Marth/Lucina/Roy thing (didn't notice your quote before it)

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Are you sure, all I saw was one representation of the Thousand Year Door (good Paper Mario game), and the rest was just throwing more Sticker Star at us (based on my previous post, I'll let you guys fill in the gap on how I feel about Sticker Star).
The stage's name is Paper Mario.

It's not a full representation of the series, but it's a representation of the series nonetheless

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Theirs going to be a bunch of "too many FE reps", "no 3rd Marth", and "I don't want Roy in because muh Hector!" complaints tomorrow.

You heard it from me first

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Theirs going to be a bunch of "too many FE reps", "no 3rd Marth", and "I don't want Roy in because muh Hector!" complaints tomorrow.

You have yet to experience the worst....trust me...

Anywsy, it's just another proof of how flawed the popular repping logic is....it's not new.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
You have yet to experience the worst....trust me...

Anywsy, it's just another proof of how flawed the popular repping logic is....it's not new.
Rep logic is stupid and it should be obliterated, just saying. Well, worst comes to worst, I'm sure i'll get my blood boiling tomorrow with a lot of complainers/detractors. It'll be a jolly 'ol time.

Can't wait to see the :shaker:when it comes to :pichumelee:'s day.

Don't forget the :4roy: jokes.
Ah yes, theirs going to be those morons who continue to spread a joke that was hardly funny in the first place. I'll be expecting them in full force tomorrow as well.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It's a me, Paper Mario!

Chance: 30%

As one of the more commonly requested Mario characters in the Smash Ballot that isn't confirmed (Sorry Waluigi), this guy has a clear shot. He's charming, has the tools to be unique, and he's a bit more different than his flesh and bone counterpart in the looks compartment. The only things keeping him out is if Sakurai feels that the flagship franchise of Nintendo has enough representation and there's the fact people would ***** if there are three Marios in the roster (God forbid we have a unique Mario character that looks like the mascot in Smash :rolleyes:). Still has a better chance than Birdo and dare say it .....Daisy.

Want: 90%
As someone who had played all Paper Mario games (Even that terribad Sticker Star game), I would love for this to happen. I feel that Paper Mario needs a bit more representation that just a flimsy stage and trophies.

Prediction

95% - 99% range.

Nominations: Princess Daisy x5

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Wow, I guess him getting Top 2 in a Japanese poll was a fluke. And him getting 5th in a post release poll with Lucina in the game already was also a fluke as well. You learn something everyday...

(ahem)

first as i said in the same post i support all veterans.if you go to nearly any of the vet threads you'll see my name in the support list.That includes Roy.And let's be honest alot of people on this site was and still is agasint roy.Don't take everything so serious mate:)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
first as i said in the same post i support all veterans.if you go to nearly any of the vet threads you'll see my name in the support list.That includes Roy.And let's be honest alot of people on this site was and still is agasint roy.Don't take everything so serious mate:)
I would say this site is mostly neutral for Roy with a lot of supporters and detractors while the Smash fanbase as a whole is mostly pro-Roy or neutral for him.

My post was making fun of the whole "he's not popular" thing. I wasn't being over the top serious.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Some of these arguments are rather...two-dimensional, don't you think?

--

Paper Mario

Chance: 17.5%
This brings me back. I remember seeing Paper Mario support as far back as Brawl. Things haven't worked out so far for the Mario spinoff series, stuck with only trophies save for a surprise stage in the 3DS version. But could the Smash Ballot open the door for the alternate Mario with the 2D veneer?

Before anything, I need to point out something again: the dev team doesn't think in terms of reps. If another Mario character were to get nominated enough, they'd get a serious look. In Paper Mario's case, he may have a better chance than any other Mario character if it comes to that. Despite the detractors complaining about "another Mario" and those claiming he'd be a clone, Paper Mario would tend more toward not being a clone due to how differently he functions in his games' RPG setting than the usual Mario platformers.

First and foremost, his moveset potential is most apparent by his choice of attacks: in the first two Paper Mario games, Mario's hammer is just as integral as his jumping ability. We only have one hammer-wielder on the roster so far, and Paper Mario could use it in ways King Dedede doesn't. Why's that? All the different techniques he learns through badges! It'd take more than just your fingers to count how many jump or hammer moves he has at his command!

And the above doesn't even include the elements in each individual game! Summoning partner characters from Paper Mario 64 or from The Thousand-Year Door? The paper transformations from the latter? Summoning the Pixls from Super Paper Mario? Any number of stickers or Things from Sticker Star? This guy has serious moveset potential, enough to where I doubt the developers would veto him if he rose high enough in the ranks.

Why am I rating his chances so low, then? Well...even though the "reps" argument is nonsense, the fans are rather hesitant on the idea of a third Mario newcomer. Ballot support for any Mario character is low, to the point where even new favorite Captain Toad doesn't always crack the Top 20.

Paper Mario has a lot of things going for him from a design standpoint...but no amount of uniqueness or moveset potential will help if support isn't strong enough. If he can gain more of a following, though, and one that sticks around...he may yet get his foot in the door.

And I direct you to those paragraphs about his moveset potential. Paper Mario is my most wanted Mario newcomer at this point...well, out of the ones with plausible chances. It's a real shame he isn't getting more attention, because he could be so damn cool.

I have a bad habit of getting interested in these types of characters. It's a curse, usually...except the one time it wasn't, last July...

Roy Prediction: 96.87%
I don't need to be able to sense disaster to know this one'll be ugly.

Just...please remember this: There are always possibilities we aren't thinking of. Almost everyone got caught off guard last July. There's nothing saying it couldn't happen again.

Nominations: Wolf Link & Midna x5

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
I would say this site is mostly neutral for Roy with a lot of supporters and detractors while the Smash fanbase as a whole is mostly pro-Roy or neutral for him.

My post was making fun of the whole "he's not popular" thing. I wasn't being over the top serious.
don't worry about it.Along as we both agree that roy would be cool than no reason to argue

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

...Well, it's true... I'm actually very curious to see Roy's results tomorrow, as I feel his ratings can go either way.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Just...please remember this: There are always possibilities we aren't thinking of. Almost everyone got caught off guard last July. There's nothing saying it couldn't happen again.
I'm not trying to derail what you said but don't you think the circumstances are a bit different here? For one, Robin over Chrom makes perfect sense given he plays much more unique than the latter and Lucina having the role of Marth clone instead of Chrom given that she's much more unique then he is as a character. Roy isn't on the same boat here given theirs evidence to support him getting in the game and that he has the most reason to be DLC for the FE series.

don't worry about it.Along as we both agree that roy would be cool than no reason to argue
It's all good in the Roy hood my friend.

Last edited:

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Let's save the in-depth Roy and Fire Emblem discussion for tomorrow unless it connects to Paper Mario, please. :)

Quick question though that I feel people should know before tomorrow: how do the alts' (Alph and the Koopalings) data compare to the regular characters?

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Roy's results tomorrow pretty much...

Chance: >90%
Want: 50% (half=too many FE reps 0%/other half F*** YEAH ROY'S COMING BACK 100%)

edit: also Paper Mario is flat....

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Paper Mario:
Before I begin my evaluation, I'll start with collecting the past scores.
K.Rool Chance: 87% Want: 100
Banjo & Kazooie Chance: 3% Want: 14%
Isaac Chance: 70% Want: 90%
Bandanna Dee Chance: 42% Want: 50%
Captain Toad: Abstained chance and want
Krystal Chance: 36% Want: 71%
Dixie Kong Chance: 40% Want: 43%
Impa Chance: 35% Want 79%
Shantae Chance: 10% Want 54%
Inklings Chance: 31% Want: 51%
Rayman Chance: 61% Want 89%
Snake Chance: 35% Want: 50%
Wolf Chance: 98% Want: 100%
Shovel Knight Chance: 13% Want 65%
Quote Chance 8% Want: 4%
Ice Climbers Chance: 25% Want: 40%
Sceptile: Chance: 12.60 Want: 52%
Wonder Red Chance: 18% Want: 78%
Promoted NPCs Chance: 13% Want: 30%
Henry Fleming Chance: 13.20 Want: 57%
Paper Mario Chances: 14% Want: 8%
Paper Mario Chances: 14%
Paper Mario could be easily transferred to Smash Bros, given that he's a spirite unlike Mr. Game & Watch (A flattened 3D model), and he does have a stage going for him. There's a bit of potential to be drawn from...

Wants: 8%
I'm admittedly in the party that doesn't want Paper Mario in Smash Bros for this incarnation of the series. I personally think that with so many Mario characters already, other series should get a bit more playable representation, such as Donkey Kong, for which a newcomer would be very welcome.

Now for my Boy Roy's chances... 100%
The first character I wanted back when this game was announced, and he'll finally be coming home...

Nomination: Waluigi X5

Top Bottom