• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Too many apes?

Lucario and Duck Hunt Dog are both canines.

By this logic we should be actively preventing Wolf from getting back in. BOO TO THE CANINES. WE HAVE TWO ALREADY.
And Fox....

but still species shouldn't really matter moreso what the character brings to the roster as well as popularity, relevance, etc...same argument is true for those who state 'too many swordsmen'...which I have no problem with (my main is a swordsmen and I have funb using the Fire Emblem characters from time to time), you could also argue too many people punch and kick....

If people don't want a character based on these assumptions then all the power to you, don't whine too much about it since you're not forced to use them if they are available...besides I'm sure not everybody will use all of the characters that they ask for...I most likely will still be using my main four the most unless my wanted characters are godly...

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
@PK_Wonder

PK_Wonder said:
Concept: No DLC Characters After Fighter Ballot x2 (Please elaborate)
By this, I mean that after we get the reveal for the Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot character, there will be no more DLC characters after that. Essentially, this can be seen as post-launch support being complete for the game.

Feel free to change the wording of this concept to better fit the precise definition.

RATINGS

Dixie Kong

Chance - 43%: Eh, I'd say Dixie's relegated to second banana (pun intended) status for her series when it comes to the ballot. It's been said too many times over that King K. Rool has the highest support worldwide, obviously indicating he's the forerunner for the DK series. Whilst I feel that King K. Rool's importance has been so disproportioned by his fans, it's the interest in this seemingly-washed-up, muhirrelevent ex-archnemesis that has bound his support years beyond the Kremling Krew's prime. It's ironic that these factors would, in theory, detract severely for his case. Because Dixie Kong has this going for her in the right direction. Perhaps even moreso than Krystal, who's often compared to her for the niche she plays in her series.

I'll clarify that relevancy/recency and character appeal are not proportional to each other. If anything, they're large factors that sweeten the deal for their demand. So for Dixie, taking this into account, plus her legacy through the DKC series, she has a pretty good shot at being realized in Smash someday. We even know that Sakurai and his team have taken attention to her, considering her appearances as a trophy and sticker, along with allegedly-scraped data of her as a gimmick for Diddy Kong in Brawl.

Now for her moveset potential. Sakurai & co. may either go for the semi-clone route or make her fully-realized. Her most obvious asset is her ponytail, which could already give her an edge in range, recovery, and aerial mobility & offense. Her ponytail is so synonymous with her playstyle in DKC it makes too much sense! Some attacks could involve bubble gum and her Gumball Popgun too. And if it really gets that desperate, she could share at least Diddy Kong's Monkey Flip/Kick & Banana Peel. Birds of a feather, are they not?

Want - 20%: Dixie Kong isn't important enough to me to push my laudatory support for her. Hell, I'm indifferent about King K. Rool and at least he offers a much different feel from Dixie. I'll file her under top B-listers for SSB5.

PREDICTIONS

Impa

Chance - 10.5%
Want - 45%

NOMINATIONS

Galacta Knight x2
Concept: No DLC Characters After Fighter Ballot x2
Shovel Knight x1

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
And Fox....
No actually; foxes aren't classified as canines anymore, and are their own sub group. I left Fox off on purpose. ;D

Further proof Fox and Wolf are nothing alike!

Aside from that I agree with what you said. If you want to dislike a character, that's fine, just use better reasoning than "Too many vaguely related primates" as it's like arguing we have too many kings, princesses, goddesses, blue feathered birds, fire breathing reptiles and ninjas.

Edit: Both Fox and Wolf would be classified under Canidae, but I was focusing on Canini and Vulpini.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Dixie Kong: 20%

The other potential Donkey Kong contender for this game. Like King K. Rool, she should have been in by now. She's recently reappeared in Tropical Freeze which cements her importance to the Donkey Kong franchise and she was already an really important character in her own game. For awhile she has been a decently popular request and I'm sure that many would like to see her playable in a Smash game someday. When looking at her, she doesn't appear to have a lot against her.

One common argument used to suggest why she may be chosen is because people say she was planned for Brawl as among the Forbidden Seven. I would agree with this except one problem, she was not planned as her own character. Instead, she was originally going to be in a duo with Diddy Kong in Brawl but due to technical issues she was cut and Diddy Kong was made her own character. The important thing to note here is that Dixie Kong was not considered to be added by herself; not as an unique character nor as a clone. No evidence whatsoever that she was considered an individual character.

To people who thinks that her Tropical Freeze appearances makes her likely (which it should), they also neglect something that is a barrier to getting a Donkey Kong newcomer in general and that is DK being shafted badly. In the base game, there are no newcomers, no items, no ATs, only one new stage which again takes place in the jungle, and too many damn remixes of Jungle Hijinx. To further add to the insult, Yoshi's Wooly World, a game not even out yet, got a new stage over Donkey Kong getting a Tropical Freeze stage. Some may argue that this would be understandable given that Retro is in USA, but considering that Miyamoto was able to keep in contact Rare back in 1994, I see no excuse why Sakurai could not have at least contacted Retro over Tropical Freeze to get ideas for a stage.

Dixie's only chance at playable status is if Sakurai had an epiphany in the middle of SSB 3DS & Wii U's development and takes interest in her during that time to where she got added as a pre-planned DLC character. I can't see Dixie being a ballot character; King K. Rool very much overshadows Dixie in regards to support and I doubt that she will get enough vote to be reconsidered (not that being the most voted guarantees you a spot, but at least King K. Rool could receive consideration from Nintendo/Sakurai based on massive fan demand and on what we have seen so far, that looks to be a very important factor of DLC characters). Supposedly we have six characters as DLC already. If what I suspect is true and these are just pre-planned character then she has a shot. But if six characters are all that we are getting, then I really don't see her getting in.

Want: 70%

I like Dixie Kong and I loved DKC2 as well. While I can't say that I'm interested in her from a game play perspective; it'd be nice to see her being added. Granted I'd be irritated if King K. Rool missed out again, but at least Dixie Kong's inclusion wouldn't affirm my fear that Nintendo/Sakurai dislike the Donkey Kong Country series (which a lack of newcomers as DLC would do).

Also nominate:
x3 Ice Climber
x2 Chorus Men

Only because I think they're seriously underestimated but not for reasons people think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
No actually; foxes aren't classified as canines anymore, and are their own sub group. I left Fox off on purpose. ;D

Further proof Fox and Wolf are nothing alike!

Aside from that I agree with what you said. If you want to dislike a character, that's fine, just use better reasoning than "Too many vaguely related primates" as it's like arguing we have too many kings, princesses, goddesses, blue feathered birds, fire breathing reptiles and ninjas.

Edit: Both Fox and Wolf would be classified under Canidae, but I was focusing on Canini and Vulpini.
First I've heard of this...Vulpines were always (to my understanding) a genus of Canidae being the family, just like Lupines being the genus for wolves [animal classification goes through constant changes regardless, recently crocodiles were discovered to have more in common (genetically) with birds than lizards and snakes]...but this is obviously not the right place to talk about this so yeah...

'too many dogs and stuff!!!'

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Dixie Kong Chance:
60%
Dixie's chances haven't really changed that much if I had to be honest.

She still holds her many plus factors well today. With her making a new major appearance in Tropical Freeze, having a base with Diddy to make things easier to develop Dixie, a somewhat large amount of demand, having importance with being one of the most popular characters during the classic DKC era, and being planned in Brawl, already giving her the seal of approval from Sakurai. I don't think she has any real glaring problems other having competition from K. Rool, but I still think relevancy applies more.

One of the most likely newcomers overall (Behind Ryu now, because you know, the leak), I honestly don't see much against her, and I think she's been planned for SSB4 too ever since Sakurai heard about her major appearance in Tropical Freeze.

Dixie Kong Want:
35%
She's certainly the most useful partner that I use in Tropical Freeze with her gliding abilities. Not my most wanted newcomer to be honest.

Impa Prediction:
13.56% Watch as Diddy Kong puts a high rating on this character. :T

Nominations:
x5 Agnes Oblige

Last edited:

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Alright here to throw in my 2+ cents in on the matter. I am going to present some different numbers based on different scenarios
CHANCES: As of right now 40%
Like someone else said it is DEFINITELY a relevance vs popularity thing because Dixie has to battle KKR's unstoppable popularity. But there is a Twist I can see happening.

CHANCES: I'm going with 60% (looking at the scenario 2)
As far as the relevance vs popularity thing goes things could definitely change. KKR is what is clearly standing in Dixie's way right now as he is dominating alot of the polls! However KR has one thing in his favor and that's NUMBERS. The fact that somebody took the time to make a centralized spot (kremling kampaign) for all KKR fans to unite and work together as one whole was a good move. So traveling around as a huge crowd supporting one another and making noise together is a great way to look big and attract more people. People love jumping on bandwagons and hype trains. It's just human nature.

It took a few dedicated fans to set the spark off for the rest to follow suit. Not saying everyone is voting KKR just as a fad, if they like KKR then by all means they have the right to vote for him but with that comes less votes for Dixie because in multiple KKR support threads I have seen (NO FLAME WARS INTENDED JUST STATING WHAT I HAVE OBSERVED WITH A PIC TO BACK IT UP) so much Dixie Bashing (not saying EVERYONE does it) and nurturing of the idea that Dixie would be "garbage" or a "diddy clone" or "just another monkey with no moveset potential" thus making KKR the "better pick" instead of people just picking him due to liking him more. Once you have the masses on your side you can do whatever. And people can't convince me that no Dixie bashing goes on... Like this popular BS pic that floats around almost every k rool thread I look in and can easily represent the general reasons why everyone votes for him. The "DK rep that would not be a clone" part IS CLEARLY a stab at Dixie

So with those points being made relevant I still believe Dixie has a chance against him if we could pull all of our resources together. Not saying she will get more votes but more so catch up enough to not be out voted by a landslide thus showing Sakurai that BOTH are wanted in smash. There are Dixie fans out there but they are pretty scattered so if Dixie's fans could all get into one central location to rally in a way similar to KKR I think she could stand out. A campaign that focuses on Dixie's positives to show bandwagoners that they have been told wrong and that she CAN be a unique fighter would be very beneficial to Dixie's popularity as a whole. Which I have already went ahead and started. https://www.facebook.com/VoteDixie. Gotta start somewhere. But once the ball gets rolling things will get easier.

Also another reason she isn't getting alot of votes is because people ASSUME she will get in anyways because she was planned for brawl. Which is a very dumb reason not to support a character you want to see. People if Sakurai really wanted her in she would have been in the roster to start with. ANd on top of that Alot of people Don't like how OP Diddy was before the patch so anyone convincing people that she would be a clone is not helping her chances at all.

So yeah I stand by my 60% chance of her getting in. Really hoping they BOTH get in tho. For as much as I'd like to see Dixie it would make me pretty sick to see Dixie get in without K Rool or vise versa.

Also as someone has already said here model wouldn't be too hard to make they could definitely use Diddy's as a base.

Want:100% all the way!
She has been my favorite nintendo character next to yoshi for the longest time now! The reason I want is because

- More females that aren't just skin swaps
-DK needs more rep
-Dixie was in her own game that was also a top seller for the SNES and her debut game was also a top seller and is considered one of the top games of all times on the SNES.
- Independent female that did not play damsel in distress like other princesses that got in.

- HUGE moveset potential @ShinyRegice @A10theHero @ anyone else that thinks she has no potential in her movesets.

She could play a variety of styles because there is so much content that hasn't been tapped from the DK franchise yet.
-As everyone has already said she could be straightforward brawler using her hair as a weapon
-She could have floaty mechanics similar to that of peach or rosalina because she uses her hair to fly/glide
- Blast barrels have not been used yet for a DK character, Heck none of them even throw barrels yet.
- (tho I am against this it is still a possibility) Animal buddies LOTS OF THEM!
- She could embody throwbacks to other DK games like people have said her guitar to have moves based on sound waves that can act as crowd control to keep people away like mario's FLOOD but at close range
-Or heck she could even be a projectile based fighter if we take the orange grenades from DK 64 and Tiny's feather bow. This is very plausible seeing how (Earthbound fans correct me if im wrong) in Earthbound Ness didn't have PK fire, Thunder, or Magnet (those were paula's moves)
--even if we have to use idle animations who cares where the inspiration for a move comes from it's how it's executed. That being said her gum could be used for trapping opponents,stunning them or trapping projectiles or something. Also I always thought for the longest time that Mario's Down-A was from his idle animation from Mario 64
I stand corrected sorry for seeing things differently jeeze...

I could definitely go on and on and on about potential for Dixie kong. Alot of people don't give her as much credit as she deserves due to her LOOKING similar to Diddy. She could be far from a diddy clone!

Last edited:

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Mario sleeping = Mario breakdancing.
Yeah, makes sense.
No i'm talking about the general way it looks not the action. If I wanted to draw them I'd draw them both the same way so I can see how you can get one out of the other pose wise. Mario could have chose to sleep on his back but he decided to sleep in a pose that could be included in a breakdance frame animation. just take the sleeping model rotate it around in a circle and you have a move. I'm sorry if I see things differently than most people. >.>

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
No i'm talking about the general way it looks not the action. If I wanted to draw them I'd draw them both the same way so I can see how you can get one out of the other pose wise. Mario could have chose to sleep on his back but he decided to sleep in a pose that could be included in a breakdance frame animation. just take the sleeping model rotate it around in a circle and you have a move. I'm sorry if I see things differently than most people. >.>
It looks nothing like his Down Smash XD
Also, he uses the same animation when he well ... sleeps.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I love how I make a small joke and get lit up for it. It wasn't meant to be taken as 'hate' towards the character.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Time for Dixie Kong. The one of the two possible DK reps I want a bit more, although, like Star Fox, I think DK should get both their reps. Two additional reps for Star Fox and DK each! Anyways...

Here's my picture of the categories I'll use for assessing characters again again...
These points are for making a best estimate of their chances, although the weight of each category is still unknown at this time. Other unforeseen factors could keep the character from being added. I'll likely post this at the start of all my assessments.

Dixie Kong

Popularity
Dixie is a pretty popular monkey-chimp-thing, some kind of primate that grows human hair or wears a wig with special powers. I don't know. Anyways, she's popular. She still manages to be top 10 most wanted newcomer material, often being close to top 5 after third party characters are removed from consideration. She also competes well for most popular female character, with Krystal often getting slightly more votes in general and Shantae nipping at her heels on a big upturn of popularity. For all her popularity though, it's still not enough to overcome the powerhouse of K. Rool. It's hard to say if this will even matter in the end however.

Importance
Dixie is Diddy's other half. In a couple of the older Donkey Kong Countries, that I haven't played in a long while, the main characters were her and Dixie with Donkey Kong being mostly out of the picture. This alone established her as more than just a side character. In terms of the Kongs, she's arguably third banana and the obvious choice for a third Kong to be represented in Smash. Her importance has been reaffirmed with her renewed relevancy as well. In terms of her role in video games, she's fairly recognizable since the Donkey Kong Country games are favorites of many gamers. Her hair whipping and flying around is fairly iconic as well. In my experience, people often picked Dixie when they played DKC games with her in them because she did seem to have an edge in harder levels.

Uniqueness
Some will say, "Dixie will play like Diddy" or "she'll be a Diddy clone". That's a possibility, but it's also somewhat subjective. I think a Falco to Fox like semi-clone status would fit well for Dixie, but I'm also sure they could get more creative too. They shouldn't try too hard to deliberately make her different from Diddy though, since it makes sense for them to be at least somewhat similar. The major separator for Dixie is her hair. Her hair gives her an opportunity to do stuff that Diddy certainly does not and that no other character really does. Only Shantae rivals her in terms of hair possibilities... unless we let Bayonetta get in there with her truly ridiculous hair properties. Dixie could have a projectile similar to Diddy's with her Bubblegum Popgun but in terms of specials that could be about where the similarities end with Diddy. Her hair spinning "float" would be the obvious choice for her up B, working much like Donkey Kong's but I imagine imparting better vertical recovery. So yeah, Dixie could be unique but she doesn't have to be entirely. I think this isn't a knock on her so much as it just makes a bit more sense if she's at least a little like her fellow Kongs.

Relevance
Thanks to Tropical Freeze, Dixie is very relevant. That game also helped her importance and popularity as people remembered why she's so likable. This is her major edge on K. Rool too, not that Rool is hurt too much by his lack of relevancy among fans, but for Sakurai and co, Dixie's relevancy may just get her a ticket to inclusion sooner if she maintains high enough popularity. "Sooner" may just be by a couple months with DLC the way it is and considering the popularity of both characters however.

Representation
Donkey Kong is an awfully popular, long lived, and relevant franchise to only have two reps in Smash. Yes, it can certainly use more reps. No other franchise has as good a case for two additional newcomers. Star Fox could use two additional fighters, but it's odds are only competitive with Donkey Kong simply because Wolf was already a vet and should be added easily. Both DK and Star Fox have two characters each that are real top 10 material. Rool and Dixie would be two legit newcomers with Dixie probably being the more derivative character. Dixie was also apparently planned for inclusion at one point but the process didn't get very deep. Not only is DK in dire need of more representation but Dixie is proving to be the obvious first choice if not for the massive popularity of Rool. It does feel like it's more a matter of who will get in first and not who will get in at all however, and then there's a great chance they could come together. We're certainly getting at least one of them. Few franchises have as much of a lock on at least one available "slot", not including possibly leaked characters... except Wolf and his near 100% chance status at this point.

Limitations
Dixie has no real limitations. She's fully Nintendo's, relevant, quite popular but not maybe massively popular like Rool, and has the best argument for being the next Kong to enter the fray. Her only real limitation may be Rool's popularity but her edge in relevancy might be enough to sneak in ahead of him. Both seem to be in really great positions for inclusion so it's hard to say. I'll weigh popularity a little higher however so Dixie's chances will be a bit lower. Of course, this is all assuming it even matters. I think, like Star Fox, there's a real chance that they could both get in, so both Rool and Dixie's odds aren't as bad as they might be otherwise. It all hangs on how much DLC we can expect and the decisions Nintendo makes. Dixie's position is a lot like Krystal's except she's currently obviously relevant while Krystal is currently on the brink of possible relevancy. Both have similar popularity, Krystal edges her in uniqueness, but Dixie probably edges Krystal in importance. Krystal does have the benefit that Wolf is a vet and could be easily added and not take anything away from ballot characters. All in all, the picture looks very similar for them both.

Final Assessment

Chance: 55%

Dixie has good odds really. She's edged by Rool in popularity which I'm weighing a bit stronger, but I think there's a good chance they'll both get in. At least enough of a chance to give her a roughly 15% boost. Like for all characters, if I knew we'd get a certain number of DLC characters like at least 6 more after the leaked characters, then I'd boost her odds. In particular Dixie's odds would increase however since with each extra DLC "slot" available Dixie's odds of being considered to be thrown in with another DK addition increase greatly.

Want: 75%

Between Rool and Dixie, I prefer Dixie. Makes more sense to add another Kong in before Rool gets in. She's also simply more likable to me than Rool and I think I'd enjoy playing her more. I'm a fan of her character in short. DK more needs more reps more than anything however and that's why I gave Rool a 50% even though I'm not a huge fan of him, and I don't need Dixie so badly that I'd be upset if he got in instead. I still believe that they can and should get in together however, same as Wolf and Krystal. DK and Star Fox really need more than just that scant two reps.

It's funny to see how many people believe and want Dixie when she's in a very similar boat as Krystal. I think the numbers may be get closer once Krystal is revealed in Star Fox Wii U officially.

~~~~

Hmm, I wonder how the board will vote on Impa, my guesses...

Prediction for Impa

Chance: 32%
Want: 42%

~~~~

3 Points to Shantae!
2 Points to Snake~

Last edited:

Chalo5000

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0104-1645-4836
I love how I make a small joke and get lit up for it. It wasn't meant to be taken as 'hate' towards the character.
Well, I didn't take it as "hate", It was just a very bad reason beacuse there's only ONE monkey in smash (2 if you count Donkey Kong but you wouldn't do that)
You should've said something like: "I prefer K Rool" or "I don't like her", something like that :p
And it didn't looked like a joke, but I have to admit, at least I was joking when I pointed out the amount of apes in the games :awesome:

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Unfortunately the "too many monkeys" line has also been used unironically in the past as an anti Dixie campaign, so it's hard to tell who is joking and who is using it as an actual argument.

Although if that's the most lit up you get on Smashboards, you're doing better than a lot of the members.

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman
-Or heck she could even be a projectile based fighter if we take the orange grenades from DK 64 and Tiny's feather bow. This is very plausible seeing how (Earthbound fans correct me if im wrong) in Earthbound Ness didn't have PK fire, Thunder, or Magnet (those were paula's moves)
While it is true Ness doesn't get those abilities, these are two entirely different circumstances. Ness is a celebration of Earthbound, because he's the main character, so he gets other people's abilities for Smash. Giving Dixie Kong Tiny Kongs' moves from DK64 just doesn't work because she's not even in that game. It'd be like giving King K Rool moves from the final boss of Tropical Freeze. It doesn't work.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Unfortunately the "too many monkeys" line has also been used unironically in the past as an anti Dixie campaign, so it's hard to tell who is joking and who is using it as an actual argument.

Although if that's the most lit up you get on Smashboards, you're doing better than a lot of the members.
I was not aware of that, although I guess it makes sense. I guess that Dixie fans really go bananas when they hear something that they don't like. Get it? HUMOR, PEOPLE.

Regardless, no offense was meant. The last thing I wish to do here is make enemies...

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
- HUGE moveset potential @ShinyRegice @A10theHero @ anyone else that thinks she has no potential in her movesets.

She could play a variety of styles because there is so much content that hasn't been tapped from the DK franchise yet.
-As everyone has already said she could be straightforward brawler using her hair as a weapon
-She could have floaty mechanics similar to that of peach or rosalina because she uses her hair to fly/glide
- Blast barrels have not been used yet for a DK character, Heck none of them even throw barrels yet.
- (tho I am against this it is still a possibility) Animal buddies LOTS OF THEM!
- She could embody throwbacks to other DK games like people have said her guitar to have moves based on sound waves that can act as crowd control to keep people away like mario's FLOOD but at close range
--even if we have to use idle animations who cares where the inspiration for a move comes from it's how it's executed. That being said her gum could be used for trapping opponents,stunning them or trapping projectiles or something. Also I always thought for the longest time that Mario's Down-A was from his idle animation from Mario 64
I stand corrected sorry for seeing things differently geeze...

I could definitely go on and on and on about potential for Dixie kong. Alot of people don't give her as much credit as she deserves due to her LOOKING similar to Diddy. She could be far from a diddy clone!
Thanks for your post, at first I had trouble to find a fresh and exciting special moveset for Dixie Kong, but now I'm sold on her potential to not have too derivative specials.

I highly doubt Dixie is going to have a barrel cannon special move, I think this should have been Donkey Kong's up special in the first place and I can't see it given to any DK character at this point besides possibly Funky Kong, but eh :rolleyes: not to mention those already are part of Smash Run and Kongo Jungle 64 stage. Also I didn't play Tropical Freeze, so I was unaware or her bubblegum popgun until I saw it mentioned in another post here, which means bubblegums are more than idle pose material! What do you think about this special moveset?

Neutral: Bubblegum Popgun (bubblegum projectiles themselves are very weak but they can create traps if they hit the ground or a wall)
Side: Ponytail Spin (similar to Donkey Kong's up special, but weaker, moves horizontally faster, slows down falling speed in the air but doesn't give any height whatsoever, cancelable by pressing B again, can be used during a total of three seconds in the air before she goes helpless)
Up: Squawks (he appears to raise Dixie, then you control him lifting her, here are his controls: direct left stick towards right or left to move horizontally, direct it down in order to increase your falling speed, input up+B or side+B to fly higher with, input B only to shoot corn pops, input down+B in order to make Squawks drop Dixie helpless earlier than he is supposed to do)
Down: Electric Guitar (the closer the enemy is to Dixie the stronger he/she takes damage, I have no problem with the guitar being promoted from a flavour animation to an offensive move as it would be a cool throwback to DK64 where music instruments could be used offensively, even though she didn't appear here)
Final Smash: not sure about this one, maybe she would ride Rambi? I mean, if he can't be an Assist Trophy, then he could be good Final Smash material for a Kong.

And for other characteristics, she could easily be different from Diddy with higher air speed and lower falling speed, and a lot of ponytail attacks which would easily be different from his A moves in both animation and hitbox/damage/knockback properties.

Anyway, now that I managed to imagine a unique moveset for her (well, besides side B, but come on, it's her ability before anyone else) I now have more interest towards Dixie as a playable character in Smash, so I'm going to increase my want score from 12% to 17.5%... which would have been a much more enthusiastic 70% if it wasn't for my fear of DLC characters never getting custom moves >_> I still want K. Rool more, but I think getting both would be by far the best outcome not because of some "DK needs moar reps" thing but because I think both are standing-out characters and worthy for Smash.

Last edited:

Old School Tommy

Smash Cadet
OH GOD PLZ NO... She is a furry (Fox, Falco and Wolf can be "Funny Animals... She doesn't)... and

I don't like Krystal, her character or what she represents.
Keep that furry the heck away from Smash.
I've blamed Star Fox's downfall on Krystal for the longest time, and while it has finally been revived, my grudge against her remains.
^Now this is what I call asinine reasons.

Hm wow, I find it sad that some people come out of the woodwork and throw the "furry" label out when they'd easily support dixie kong, like really? I can respect that you are indifferent to the character but "OMG STAY AWAY FROM MY SMASH BROS." is just sad to see
^This.

Hoo boy. This one's gonna be controversial.

--
Krystal

Chance: 55%
Seems like Krystal can't get brought up anywhere without controversy following. Her first appearance was a radical departure for the series (even though it was designed to be a gaiden game all along), and the two Star Fox games that came out afterward are considered kind of...lacking. Some of the fanbase associates her with the series' dip in quality, some dislike how undue of a focus she has in Star Fox Command, while others outside the fanbase loathe her for a different fandom she's associated with, ironically ignoring how nearly every other character in the series also falls under them. Merely mentioning her in some places is enough to incur the commenters' wrath.

And then there's the whole fact that Wolf is considered a near-lock to return already. Lucas is already confirmed, and with a new Star Fox game on the horizon, it'd be the perfect opportunity to make a "look who's relevant again" reveal. Consensus seems to be that the developers wouldn't bother with a second Star Fox character, regardless of if it's actually true.

Krystal has mixed reception, a loud hatebase, a character from her own series likely to get the nod first...and yet, she may have one of the highest chances of any newcomer. In fact, I think she's the fourth most likely DLC character.

I get around the Internet pretty well, I've seen quite a few unofficial polls, and I've noticed something: Krystal has deceptively high fan support. In nearly every one of the aforementioned polls, she ranked among the top 5 newcomers...and the ones where she didn't came from sites with a history of being...nostalgic. Her supporters just have a way of lying low and not saying much. After all, why would you when openly supporting her for Smash in some places is like waving a sign that says "I am an acceptable target"?

Meanwhile, the loudness of Krystal's detractors masks how few of them there are. Vocal minorities creep into every fanbase, and Krystal has some particularly loud ones loathe her for "ruining" the series, making her a scapegoat for it not living up to their idealized version of how it used to be. Again, though, there're fewer of them than they make it seem, they're greatly outnumbered by her supporters and those who have no strong feelings one way or the other, and they can't take votes away from her, now can they?

There's still the problem of Wolf blocking her way, though...or is there? Even despite Wolf, Krystal is (reportedly) still getting a lot of ballot votes from her supporters and from Star Fox fans who believe Wolf is already a lock. It's also worth remembering that the developers do not think in terms of "repping" a series, so one Star Fox character being DLC wouldn't rule out another one. In fact, for all the fanbase treats it as a rule, it's been broken repeatedly over the course of Smash Bros. Even the argument that Star Fox will only have six games may not be important going off Smash history: The Legend of Zelda had five characters in Melee--with four newcomers--despite only having seven games at the time (And you could argue that the Oracle games count as two parts of one story, lowering it to six!). In Brawl, Pokémon gained four characters, something that would've had people cry "over-repped" nowadays despite how big a series it is. And speaking of nowadays, remember how everyone said Fire Emblem couldn't possibly get two newcomers (granted, one started as an alt)? Remember how people cried foul about the Mario series getting two new characters when it already had so many?

But the likely reason Rosalina and Bowser Jr. both got in is also the reason Krystal has a legitimate chance: both of them had too much potential and too intriguing of concepts to pass up. That's the key detail here: Krystal has uniqueness and moveset potential in spades. We've seen a willingness from the dev team to use older assets for movesets--they changed Kirby's dash attack in Brawl to a move from the Yo-Yo ability, which hadn't seen light since 1996, the Bowser Bomb goes all the way back to Super Mario Bros. 3, and Robin's Arcfire animation is straight from the GBA Fire Emblem games--meaning her staff from Adventures is in play, especially since most of her supporters are requesting she use it specifically for the moveset potential it gives her. Where Wolf's moveset is loosely derived from the one Fox uses, and where Falco is still a semi-clone, Krystal would be the first fully unique Star Fox character since Fox himself. In place of blasters, air-dashes, and reflectors, Krystal could be only the second staff-wielder Smash has had--and with a battlestaff that plays vastly different from Palutena's scepter--and with its innate abilities to shoot small bursts of fire, spray freezing mist, create seismic shockwaves, propel its wielder into the sky, surround them with a magic barrier...all combining for something the roster doesn't yet have, and so tailor-made for Smash that I'm willing to bet you just thought of how at least a couple of them would work as you're reading this.

But her moveset potential doesn't stop there: if needed, Krystal could also pull from Star Fox Assault's arsenal. There's a pretty good variety there, so much of it completely untouched by Fox, Falco, and presumably Wolf if the lack of changes to Mewtwo and Lucas are anything to go by. Though the staff immediately makes her unique, she doesn't need to rely on it to do so!

There's a third option, though, and it might be the most intriguing: a combination of the previous two. With a mix of staff techniques and spells and the high-tech weapons from the modern Star Fox games, she could bring a mix of magic and technology that no other character could match. Her moveset potential is among the highest of any DLC candidate, rivaling even Isaac and K. Rool, and if Sakurai's interview last July is anything to go by, it's the biggest thing the dev team looks for in a newcomer.

A character with massive moveset potential from an up-and-coming series, whose biggest draw is representing said series in a way its other characters don't, but who is considered to have no chance because a less unique character from the same series is "more deserving"? Sounds an awful lot like a certain tactician...

Want: 100%
Would I have written that entire essay if I didn't want her in Smash so badly? She has the uniqueness factor, she has so many possible awesome movesets, and she could be another battlemage. As of right now, she's my single most wanted DLC character...well, technically tied with a couple longshots who almost surely won't make the cut.

Even with whatever doubts or concerns you may have, if Krystal gets in, she'll be worth it.

Jump to what conclusions you may. I get interested in characters for their moveset potential, remember?

Dixie Kong Prediction: 31.75%
She certainly has an argument...but one obvious problem and one not-so-obvious one could hold her back.

Nominations: Sceptile x5

Oh, and to those of you playing the furbait card? You realize the same card applies to Wolf, right? You realize Rule 34 applies to everyone on the roster, not just the ones you handpick? And if they were concerned about a character being too sexualized, it certainly didn't stop them from giving Zero Suit Samus two costumes with her in a tank top and gym shorts, giving Shulk a swimsuit costume, or giving Palutena a taunt where she imitates a stripper.

^This one said it best.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
^Now this is what I call asinine reasons.
If it was my chance rating that had pertained to, you'd be right. However, that was for my want score, something ENTIRELY based on my personal views, and honestly I couldn't care less if you thought it was "asinine". It's my opinion, I'm not trying to change anybody else's. You don't like that, that's your problem.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Dixie Kong:
Chance- 35%
Decently popular, just had a large role in Tropical Freeze… Sure, it's possible.
Want- 88%
Would rather see K. Rool first, and I wouldn't say I'm super hyped for her. That said… Dixie is actually a pretty great Nintendo character.

Impa Predictions- 28%
Nominations:

Ice Climbers x5

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Dixie Kong:

Chances: 40% generous.

Reasons: I'm not a big fan of her so don't berate me if my post is not lengthy. She's got some good potential but it really is hard to see her get in over K rool and there is still the argument that she might be a clone with a different recovery move. I would much rather want Chunky or Tiny Kong. *grabs flamesuit*

Want: 0% I'm not a fan of her so I really would prefer another DK rep.

Nominations: KOS-MOS X5. Someone should join my cause :p

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Dixie Kong
Chance: 30% - I definitely think her chance is greatly affected by King K. Rool. While Dixie Kong has the most relevance in DK between the two, King K. Rool was there for the start of the Country series. It also seems that many believe Dixe will largely copy Diddy, and clones will probably want to be avoided the way the roster in DLC is shaping up (Lucas - Semi-Clone, and Roy is possible, meaning possibly another full Marth clone, and technically, Mewtwo is a clone too, just in a totally different way :chuckle:). Just saying, we might want a fair mix of clones and unique characters, but people will probably want more unique characters than clones.
Want: 50% - That said, I have nothing against Dixie as a character. I only played the original Donkey Kong Country, Returns, and Tropical Freeze, and while Dixie might be in Tropical Freeze, I still don't have much with her due to P-1 always being forced into DK. If she makes it in, that's cool, but I'd just prefer K. Rool as a DK rep.

Impa - Oh, maybe 50%. I originally thought 5 Zelda reps was good, but if FE is going to tie with them in reps, I guess Nintendo's 2nd most popular franchise is good for another.

Ice Climbers X5 :icsmelee::popo:

Kero the Invincible

Smash Apprentice
Dixie Kong
Chance: 50%
Like with Krystal, you can't really talk about Dixie without mentioning her competition. I can definitely see a DK rep in the future, but unlike most people, I don't see K.Rool's popularity as hurting Dixie's chances at all. It is the Fighter's Ballot, after all, not the "Smash Democracy". Since the final decision rests with the designer(s) and "all votes will be taken into consideration", I see the ballot more as a big list of ideas and considerations for the designers to play with. Obviously, more popular suggestions may merit more consideration, but if lightning strikes in Samurai's brain while considering Dixie, then we're just as likely to see her as the playable character.
Want: 80%
K.Rool is fun, but I would greatly prefer if Dixie won out in the end. I've always preferred heroes over villains, and the idea of all three stars of the original DKC trilogy being in Smash makes me very happy.

Last edited:

TallT

Smash Apprentice
Dixie Kong

Chance: 42%

She seems like she has a chance, but I think King K. Rool is more likely, and his constant increasing number of fans adds to him being the more likely choice for DLC. Some may argue that she was planned in Brawl, but that was for a combination with Diddy and I don't see her going solo and being able to bring a unique moveset to Smash.

Want: 35%

I would greatly prefer K. Rool over her any day.

Impa prediction: 29%

Nominate: Inkling x5

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Dixie
Chance: 40% - Any character who's both popular and relevant should have a good shot.
Want: 55% - I'd prefer King K. Rool, but she'd be a good choice regardless.

Impa prediction: 19%

Nominations: Henry Flemming x5

DAY OVER
PLEASE WAIT WHILE I CALCULATE THE RESULTS

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Kind of funny how this worked. On back to back days, we're talking about female characters from franchises considered under-repped, and both are overshadowed by villains from their respective series.

--

Dixie Kong

Chance: 32.5%

Dixie is an interesting case. She's well known, relevant thanks to Tropical Freeze, and was tossed around to some extent early in Brawl's development. She has the potential for a unique moveset, or if deemed necessary, could be a semi-clone of Diddy. A month ago, I had her ranked as tied with Wolf for the most likely DLC candidate.

Then the Smash Ballot became a thing...and with it came some kompetition. Now that the fanbase can nominate characters, most of the DK fans are pushing for K. Rool and leaving Dixie by the wayside. In the unofficial polls, Dixie shows up outside the Top 10 as often as she does inside it, and sometimes doesn't even break the Top 15. While it doesn't make her less worthy of a character, the way K. Rool has stolen her thunder could keep her from getting enough votes to be considered...especially by those who think only one new character per series can get in. Further hurting her support is how there are fans who assume she'd be a Diddy clone, and disinterested in more clones, pass up on her. It's hurting her fan support even though she'd arguably more less sense as a clone than as a fully unique character.

Can she still get in? Of course. K. Rool seems very likely now, but one DK character as DLC doesn't automatically rule out a second (which also applies for Star Fox or any other franchise with two popular and viable characters). For her to have a better chance, though, her support base needs to do something about the false assumptions holding her back...or hope for character DLC extensive enough to include her anyway.

Want: 45%
I wouldn't mind her. I think she has the means to be a really interesting addition, and definitely not a straight up Diddy clone. However, there're other characters I care more about right now than her.

Impa Prediction: 38.49%
The fans want a Zelda newcomer, and right now she's a cut above her competition.

Nominations: Sceptile x5

...You know, when you think about it, Dixie's also a furry character in a way. She's an animal, but with anthropomorphic qualities: long hair, wears clothes, is intelligent enough to operate a gumball gun and play a pretty mean guitar. Kind of funny, isn't it?

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
DIXIE KONG
CHANCE: 45.08%
WANT: 59.89%
Dixie was not only popular, but she managed to draw in 67 total ratings, the second highest we had since King K. Rool. Why do the Donkey Kong characters get so many ratings? Next up we're rating Impa in both "chance" and "want". Also predict how Shantae will do tomorrow.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Why do the Donkey Kong characters get so many ratings?
Because they're legitinately good characters, both of whom should've been added a long time ago.

Impa:

Chance - 20%
She's a textbook middle-of-the-road DLC option, wanted by a fair number, but not by a large number. She's a good next-in-line (with Tingle ruled out, that is) for a series that didn't get a newcomer, but for which most people would rather see the existing characters fixed before a new one joined them. That's about it.

Want - 20%
Was never really big on this option. Other Zelda characters simply interest me more.

Shantae Prediction - 13.5%

Nominate Shovel Knight x5

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Impa
Chance: 20%
She seems like the next Zelda rep to come in, especially with Midna and Ghirahim as assist trophies, but she's just not that big of a name on her own despite being in multiple games. I feel as though Sakurai might think the Zelda portion of the roster is "complete." Ballot or not, I don't see her being made for DLC.

Want: 50%
If we're to get a Zelda newcomer, she's the one I would want to see. But if she doesn't get in, no big deal.

Nominate Anna x5.

sogeki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MexicanSaiyan
Goddammit right when my Impa thread was locked.
Impa
Chance of getting in: 47.73%. She was in the top 12 for the early results so we know a lot of people want her. Plus, a new Zelda representative is basically guaranteed (same with a DK rep.)
Want:78%.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Impa: 20%

Positives:
++Has made a resurgence lately, appearing in several recent games
++ A recurring Zelda character which doesn't happen often
++Somewhat popular request
+A Zelda newcomer, which we have not gotten in a while
+Only plausible choice left for a Zelda Newcomer

Negatives:
--Moveset might be an issue
-Still relatively minor
- Down the totem poll

Not actually a problem:
Some people think that it would be wrong for her to use Hyrule Warriors attributes because that was developed by a third party.

That's really dumb.

Overall, I don't see her happening without Sakurai going out of his way to add a Zelda newcomer, but she's someone to watch for in the next Smash.

Want: 85%

She's a really neat character and I do love her roles as of late.

I think she should join the main Zelda cast (along with Tingle). I like her a lot.

Shantae Prediction: Lol, like 3%. Indies ain't getting anything.

Nominate:

Phoenix Wright x 3
Wolf :wolf:
Snake :snake:

@Diddy Kong

:p

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
IMPA
Chance: 35%
+ Next most recurring Zelda character
+ Consistently relevant to the series
+ Female
+ Possibly easy to make as a semi-clone of Sheik (even though I don't want that)
+ Zelda series hasn't had a new Zelda character since Melee

- Not as well-known/popular
(can't think of anymore!)

Despite all the things going for her, she won't stand a chance against more popular characters like King K. Rool and Isaac.

Want: 100%
While playing Skyward Sword during the cutscene in the Lanaryu Desert, Impa stole my heart. Her bad*ssness deserves to be in Smash!

Shantae Prediction: 10%

Nominate: Elmax5

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Impa

Chance: 30%

+ If Sakurai and his team ever decide to add a sixth Legend of Zelda representative, Impa and Pig Ganon are the two top contenders, both playing important roles throughout the series' lore. While he may have said nothing in regards to additional representation of the popular adventure franchise and one of Nintendo's biggest IP's, Smash 4 is the same game that currently features seven Mario characters (11 if you count Yoshi, Wario, and the Kongs) and six Pokemon, so one or two more Zelda reps could possibly join the roster either as DLC or in Smash 5.
+ Many thought she would just be either a clone or a re-skin of Sheik, but the the recent and fairly successful Hyrule Warriors showed that she can have a unique moveset. I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai is at least taking that into consideration.
-- Impa's only major disadvantage is that she's not an alternate form of one of the iconic main trio (Link, Zelda, Ganondorf) like Pig Ganon is. She may be popular and well-known among Zelda fans such as myself, but the average person who isn't familiar with the series likely doesn't know who she is.

Want: 90%

I haven't played Hyrule Warriors as of this post, but seeing clips of her in action convinces me that I would at least attempt to main her in a Smash Bros. game. That, and the Zelda series deserves at least one rep who's not one of the main trio, but still very prominent in his/her own right.

Predictions: Shantae - 5%

She's certainly one of the more popular indie characters to have graced Nintendo platforms, but most will give her low scores for simply being indie while others will point out that none of her games have ever been released in Sakurai's homeland as of now.

Nomination: Snake x5 - I'm not done nominating Snake until his day draws near.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Warning Received
Impa:
Chance: 20%
+Zelda character (*really* popular series)
+Female (not enough of those)
+Not a non-human primate

-Butch lesbian (might not be popular with a lot of insecure ****s)
-The series is popular, yes, but Impa herself isn't

Want: 0%
Don't care for her at all.

And I vote Shantae x5 (of course).

D

Deleted member

And I vote Shantae x5 (of course).
In case you haven't noticed already, her day is tomorrow. You should be predicting her overall chances today, please.

Top Bottom