• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Alright first one Snake time
Chances: 9%
He felt like a one time character just because Mr. Sakurai made a small deal with Mr. Kojima I say its very low but not an impossibility I just feel it's very low He did feel a bit out of place in brawl and IDK if he would make it back

Want:60% he was my main back in brawl and I LOVED to sticky people. Though I know he may not make it back I do love playing him in brawl.

Nomination
Django x5

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
Snake
Chance: 20%
If Metal Gear games had closer ties to Nintendo, I'd give Snake a much higher score. But Metal Gear is even more distanced from Nintendo than Rayman right now, so I'm highly skeptical. The only thing that he really has going for him is that he's a veteran.

Want: 5%
I didn't play as Snake that often in Brawl, and I don't like the idea of Nintendo promoting PlayStation games. Otherwise I'd probably give him 25%.

Wolf
Prediction: 95%
Consensus seems to be that he's almost a lock.

Nominations:
Henry Fleming (Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.) x1
Abraham Lincoln (Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.) x1
Ridley x1
Concept: Any Star Fox character DLC released near Star Fox U release date x2

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

:snake:

Chances : 40%
Smash Bros. veteran, the first thirdparty fighter ( means a lot! ), explosions, and just plain out awesome.

Want : 100%
Many people who played as Snake on Brawl... on their oooold Wii... just having fun listening to everyones Codecs as if they were in the Metal Gear world themselves was just awesome and they all should return. New codecs! New HD explosions! Make it all HAPPEN!

Fun fact : Metal Gear is the only entirely cut series. Even Electroplankton or whatchacallit's universe is referred in Smash4's files. BGM for Metal Gear went under the letter S in Brawl, and now in Smash4 that music slot has been replaced with :4megaman:

Last edited by a moderator:

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
the first thirdparty fighter ( means a lot! )
Why? If it were that important, wouldn't they have been sure to keep him when they made the game in the first place?

And Sonic is just as much the first third party fighter as Snake is.

Last edited:

sogeki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MexicanSaiyan
:snake:

Want= 99.2%
While Snake would be a smart option for Sakurai if he wanted to sell more copies of Sm4sh, it would be extremely hard to get him into the game. Especially because of Kojima getting fired. He might not have as hard of a time as a newcomer 3rd party, considering he he was in Brawl.
All in all, I'd say a 35.74% chance would be fitting.

Nominations= Wonder Red x5

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Snake
Chance: 55% - He might be looked kindly upon for being a veteran of Smash, however, Snake seems to have fallen out of favor with Nintendo recently. It's because of this that I see his chances of returning to be 50%. I also recall the one in charge of his games has given him the OK to appear again, so I'll give an extra 5%.

Want: 60% - Snake was a unique character back in Brawl. The only other veteran who was unique and also cut were the Ice Climbers, who I majorly support. The only differences between him and the Ice Climbers are him being 3rd party, and his move set being split up between several characters, Zero Suit Samus getting his final smash, Sheik getting his grenades, etc. However, I don't think that matters, as when you get down to it, no one really replaced him, as to say, no one has his complete move set. In conclusion, I wouldn't be unhappy if he came back.

Wolf - 90% Seriously, Wolf is probably the most supported veteran yet (I'm sure Snakes 3rd party is what's hindering him and the uncertainty of the Ice Climbers and the 3DS). Seriously, how did Roy get chosen for Smash before Wolf? Roy might be popular in Japan, but Wolf is popular in both US and Japan. It just kind of confuses me...

Oh yes, and X5 for the Ice Climbers.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Snack
Chance: 25%
He's a vet with a substantial amount of popularity, but whatever kept him out of the initial game very well might still be present, even if it's simply Nintendo's disinterest in procuring him again.
Still, he's probably more likely than most third-parties.

Want: 30%
I never really played as Snake, and I never was overly taken with his inclusion, but it's not like he's some random clone, if he made it once he should stick around. It's not like MGS is less present than it was on Nintendo systems around the time of Brawl (though that's not saying much), and I know some people who would be happy to get him back.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Snake
chance: 45%
He's got veteran status and already built moveset, so he has that over most 3rd party characters, along with being one of the most famous video game characters that would defiantly sell DLC.

Want: 95%
- awesome, funny and different iconic character that was a great foil to the characters in smash
- Unique and fun moveset
- Kirby's beard
- Metal gear has great music

Nominate - Professor Layton x5

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Will the super spy make a return? or will the snake eater become a One Smash Wonder?
find out next time on Dragon Ball Z!

:snake:Snake

Chance: 10%
Well this is an awkward situation. Unlike other third parties we talked about Snake has already made a name for himself as a Smash fighter. (Even got a fancy icon to go next his name, see?) So there isn't really anything that needs to be said in terms of pros, because it seems like a lot is in his favour...However due to unfortunate circumstances he was cut from the roster in Smash 4, despite this fans are still clamouring to have his return as DLC. The whole issue with Konami not releasing the latest MGS game on the Wii U does not help Snake in the least, as that is the whole reason he got cut in the first place. If things get patched up with Konami he might make a return, however I think it is very likely he'll keep us waiting for quite some time...

Want: 70%
I love the Metal Gear Solid games. Metal Gear Solid II and III were amoung my favourite games ever, even though I haven't played them in ages. Snake was a unique fighter within Brawl's roster, but he seems a little...out of place...Metal Gear in general has sold itself as being a lot less kid friendly than almost all of the other games represented in Smash so his inclusion was quite odd to me way back when he was revealed for Brawl. That said Snake is the embodiment of stealth gaming, so his status is well deserved. I wouldn't mind seeing Snake come back as it is somewhat fresh for Smash to have something a bit more mature, but at the same time I don't miss him that much as he did seem a bit out of place next to likes of say Pikachu or Kirby.:kirby:

Prediction:
:wolf:Wolf-81.5% (going for weird numbers that may give me an edge, or I'm just an idiot)
The reveal of Lucas had people thinking he's almost 100% the next DLC to come, but with the Roy/Ryu sound files leaked his chances do seem to go down a bit...but with the new Star Fox game on the horizon I feel his chances are still pretty damn good as revealing Wolf as DLC will help to promote the new game...especially since he's a veteran (look I got an icon for him too!)

Nominations:
Wolf Link & Midna x3
Dark Samus x2

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
Snake
Chance: 60%
Being a veteran and a highly requested character all around the world are things Sakurai simply won't overlook. In the end it all depends on what Konami has to say about adding Snake. Either they accept the idea or not, making this a 50-50 chance. I granted Snake an additional 10% due to the factors I already mentioned especially since Sakurai seems really determined to give fans what they're asking for.

Want: 100%
Awesome playstyle, moveset, huge legacy in video games plus one of my most used characters back in Brawl. It just seems weird in a Smash game to totally lose an entire franchise especially when Metal Gear had a great stage and music selection.
And I seriously need a Snake amiibo.

Nominations:
Henry Fleming x5

MatvaradoxD

Smash Cadet
Snake
Even though he got his chance in Brawl I feel like he won't make it to this one since it feels like a one time thing he had for that game.

Snake was a great addition to Brawl even though I didn't play as him much. I was shocked when he was revealed and thought he'd fit in fine but I wasn't really excited for him at all. Much respect for him and Sonic for opening up the 3rd party possibilities now though.

Wolf: 75%
I would like to see him back!

Nominations:
Mach Rider x3
Andy x2

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Snake
Chance - 40%
Hard to say, really. I feel like if he were going to make it in, he would have made it to the main game. At the same time, DLC is looking very positive for veterans, and 3rd parties are fair game. If I had to put it one way or the other, I'd say I don't think he will return, but I won't be surprised if he does.

Want - 60%
I never felt like he really fit in Smash, but he was a cool, unique character and it was still a shame to see him go, so I'd like it if he could come back.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Snake
Even though he got his chance in Brawl I feel like he won't make it to this one since it feels like a one time thing he had for that game.

Snake was a great addition to Brawl even though I didn't play as him much. I was shocked when he was revealed and thought he'd fit in fine but I wasn't really excited for him at all. Much respect for him and Sonic for opening up the 3rd party possibilities now though.

I would like to see him back!

Nominations:
Mach Rider x3
Roy x2
Already did Impa...you'll have to nominate someone else...

Last edited:

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Snake
Chance- 14%
The status quo has greatly changed since Brawl. And I feel like if Snake was going to be in… he'd already be in. But hey, being a past veteran with popularity goes for something.
Want- 33%
He did have a unique playing style, and I'd be happy for his fans. But I never was fully convinced that Snake belonged in Smash. In fact, he'd stand out as a sore thumb even more so in this game with its brighter colors.

Wolf Predictions- 82%
Most will have him pretty darn high, but the outliers can bring the average down.
Nominations:
Ice Climbers x5

Braydon

Smash Ace
Snake:
Chance: 10%
People need to stop thinking of him as the first third party char, he came out the same day as sonic, you should think of him as the first third party character to be cut.
Want: 0%
Didn't really like him in brawl

Prediction: wolf 82%

Nomination: 5x monster hunter

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I might collect my past ratings as well and see what they're like...
K.Rool Chance: 87% Want: 100
Banjo & Kazooie Chance: 3% Want: 14%
Isaac Chance: 70% Want: 90%
Bandanna Dee Chance: 42% Want: 50%
Captain Toad: Abstained chance and want
Krystal Chance: 36% Want: 71%
Dixie Kong Chance: 40% Want: 43%
Impa Chance: 35% Want 79%
Shantae Chance: 10% Want 54%
Inklings Chance: 31% Want: 51%
Rayman Chances: 61% Want 89%

Day 12: Solid Snake:
Chances: 35%. Snake is without a doubt a memorable character in the Smash Bros series, since he's the first third-party character to join the roster, and his moveset was one of the most unique of all the Brawl Newcomers. I could see them bringing Snake back, but I think his main challenges include: Kojima allowing them to use Snake again (which is awkward since Konami reshuffled their business, and Kojima left afterwards, didn't he?), Ryu may be a challenge to him like I said with Rayman if they'll stop third party DLC after Ryu...

Want: 50%
Neutral. I'd love to see Snake back because of his legacy with the Smash Bros series, not to mention introduced me to the Metal Gear series. Though sadly, with all the third party characters already and potentially Ryu, that may be a detriment to Snake. Regardless, he really got me interested in the Metal Gear games, and it'd be amazing if they brought him back.

Nominations: Ridley X5

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

Chances: Will Sakurai drop Snake as DLC material? Will Kojima come back and ask Sakurai to include Snake once more? Will the votes of the people convince Sakurai to put him back in? Who knows? It's a toss up, so let's say 50%.

Want: 1%. I don't care, really. I mean, I don't particularly want him in, but if I see he's back in I'll smirk and that will be it.

Edit: Once more, I nominate my crackpot Smash Bros DLC: Ruroken's Saitou Hajime x5.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Snake? SNAKE! SNAAAAAAAKE!!!

Chance: 50%
This I'll give a coin toss. He was a veteran from the last game, which most definitely goes in his favor. He was also unique, so there's something missing that wasn't before. However, he's embroiled in the third-party bureaucracy realm, which is a major minus. Otherwise, all the arguments from the previous third parties hold.
Now in terms of him specifically, I never understood why he was in Brawl to begin with - I'm not saying I hated him, I'm just saying he's not the most well known on Nintendo consoles. After all, he's most closely associated with the PlayStation - aka Nintendo's major rival. He was in one GameBoy game, and just got a rerelease on 3DS, and that's it. Everything else was Playstation. So his description as a 'Nintendo All-Star' really doesn't hold in the slightest.
I know, he got in because Kojima is BFF with Sakurai.
So his major Nintendo release was really Brawl. Does existing in that game make him enough of an all-star to come back? I think it's a coin toss, and it comes down to politics.
Want: 25%
Never really liked him much in the first place - he didn't seem to fit. Even with the realistic graphics in Brawl, there was too much of a graphical disconnect between Snake and Kirby. Even Link/Captain Falcon in Brawl were looking a little too odd next to Kirby, then along comes hyper-realism. While that's normally what I like (really not into toony ****), it was a bit too jarring here. But then again, he's a veteran, and it is still sad to see anyone go.
And reinsert argument about me-not-liking-guests-on-principle-since-they-don't-fit argument for the fourth time.
Prediction: Wolf
finally...
Chance: 82.5%, Want: 87.5%
Nominations:
Still pushing the promotions up x5​

Last edited:

Fire_Voyager

Smash Journeyman
Snake
Chances 10%
Konami is fooling around... I don't spect a lot of them now...

Prediction wolf: 50% DownLoadable ExCharacters DLxC... Is easier, and they are doing this that way, easy and boring

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Snake.... :snake: !

This is a very hard rating...

Positives:
+++ Smash Bros Veteran
+++ Incredibly Iconic
++ Already Proven to be a Unique Character
++ Pretty Popular Request
++ Sakurai has Connections
++ Had a Game on a Nintendo Console Post Brawl
+ Kojima Gave the Okay
+ Konami Has Shown Interest
+ Brings a New Series With Him.

Negatives:
--- Isn't exactly a Nintendo-centric character
-- Third Party
-- Konami isn't Exactly Stable
-- Kojima is Probably Leaving Konami
-- Potential Problems with Raising the Rating
-- Arguably Doesn't Fit
- Divisive Character Choice
- Other Potential Konami Characters Exist

Mystery:
? The biggest factor in whether he's likely or not is the reason he was cut. What exactly was it?
? Will Kojima stay at Konami? What is the future of Metal Gear?
? What exactly can they get away with without raising the rating?

Snake is a character surrounded by uncertainty.

It doesn't quite feel right rating him not knowing these things but....

I give Snake a 45%. Just shy of a coin flip.

Want: 90%

Snake was a very fun character in Brawl and he introduced me to the Metal Gear franchise.

I don't want him to leave so soon.

Wolf Prediction: 89% :wolf:
Will probably get the highest score.

Phoenix Wright x 3
Pichu
Ice Climbers

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

!

Solid Snake

Chance: 15%

Snake may be more associated with PlayStation than any other brand of video game hardware, but thanks to Sakurai's relationship with Metal Gear series creator Hideo Kojima, the legendary soldier managed to join Brawl's roster and become a fan favorite. You would think that would entice more Nintendo fans into Metal Gear, thus causing the series to appear on Nintendo platforms more often. Let's see...What Metal Gear games were released after Brawl? Japan-exclusive Virtual Console ports of Metal Gear 1 & 2 and a 3DS remaster of an old PS2 game. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes and Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, two BRAND NEW entries in the Metal Gear series, aren't coming to Wii U. Apparently, Snake's appearance in Brawl hardly affected his relevance on Nintendo platforms. Nintendo must be angry at Kojima and Konami, right? And why would Nintendo advertise a game exclusive to competing platforms when their console is far behind its competition in terms of sales? Adding insult to injury, Sakurai's best friend Kojima might be leaving Konami, so Snake's chances are doomed, right?

I was going answer that last question with a yes, but then those Ryu sound files were leaked. The Street Fighter franchise may have a long history with Nintendo, but the upcoming Street Fighter V isn't coming to Wii U either, which debunks the "Nintendo doesn't want to advertise their competition," argument unless Capcom has something major planned with the Street Fighter series and Nintendo that isn't the billionth Virtual Console release of Street Fighter II.

Speaking of re-releases, what was the last Metal Gear game to grace a Nintendo platform and when was it available? An enhanced 3DS port of a PS2 game in 2012. Before then (Virtual Console aside)? A GameCube remake of Metal Gear Solid 1 in 2003, a nine-year gap. And what was the last Street Fighter game to be available on a Nintendo platform (Virtual Console aside)? A 3DS port of Super Street Fighter IV in 2011. Before then? A port of Street Fighter Alpha 3 Upper for Game Boy Advance in 2002, another nine-year gap. Honestly, one could argue that Ryu is currently (keyword: currently) equally as irrelevant to Nintendo as Snake is if all their series' newer Nintendo releases happen to be ports and remakes that aren't released very often.

At this point, unless Capcom is working on either an exclusive Street Fighter game for Wii U/3DS, a Wii U/3DS port of Street Fighter V, or a Nintendo vs. Capcom game, the only real arguments that can be used as ammo against Snake are (1) he has never been very significant to Nintendo's history at all (at least Street Fighter II was a big hit on the SNES back in the day, and Super Street Fighter IV on 3DS was no slouch either), (2) he may be too violent for an E10+-rated game (keep in mind that Brawl was rated T), and (3) Kojima's departure from Konami might have some effect on Sakurai's decision-making.

With Kojima possibly leaving Konami, a company that has become a shadow of its former self as of late, MGSV: The Phantom Pain might be the last high-quality game to feature Solid Snake or Big Boss. As a Metal Gear fan myself, I'd be thrilled to see Snake make his first, and likely final return to Super Smash Bros.

And inb4 @ NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy comes to rate Snake (and likes every post he reads).

Prediction: Wolf - 85%

Last edited by a moderator:

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Soild Snack:

Chance: 3%

Even with his veteran status, Snake has low chances of getting in. The main factoring reason is that Kojima is having issues with Konami and he alone is the sole reason Snake made it in Brawl.

Want: 78%

Still mostly indifferent, but the thing I want most is Shadow Moses to return.

Wolf predict:

Chance: 85%

Want: 55%

Nom: Quote x5

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Snake changes: 25%
You know something people tend to forget is that snake got in brawl because kojima asked for it and sakurai being a god friend did so. now that kojima is gone willlll so is snake. Vet or not I can't see him getting back in even through the ballot.Metal gear in my eyes is a sony franchise with very little ties to Nintendo. Snake is an icon but I think he's gonna sit this round out

Snake want: 10%
Meh if he's in he's in if not than not I would rather have bomberman over him

Wolf prediction: 98%(he's a lock for sure)

Slippy x 5

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Dang, I missed the Rayman rating. :/ Why'd we move on earlier than usual?

Anyways, Snake.

Chance: 35%
++ Veteran
+ Somewhat iconic and popular
+ Unique (though Zero Suit Samus kinda took his final smash--it's not exactly the same, but they're similar)
- Might be too unique. He seems a little odd on the Smash roster
- 3rd Party
+/- Here's the big problem. We don't know why he didn't return to Smash 4. If it was some issue with Konami, we don't know if it's been resolved yet, and so Snake may not be able to return.

:happysheep:

Prediction:

Nomination:
Spyro the Dragon [x5]

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
He was in one GameBoy game, and just got a rerelease on 3DS, and that's it. Everything else was Playstation.
Just gonna pop in and say both Metal Gear and Snake have had significantly more appearances on Nintendo Consoles than that.

Metal Gear
Snake's Revenge
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel
Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Dream Mix TV: World Fighters
Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Scriblenauts (I know I was surprised too!)

These are all games that appeared on Nintendo consoles that had Snake in them.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Ru completely shattered any argument used against Snake, but I still see people making up BS excuses to keep him out.

Chance: 75%
I'm a bit more confident in Snake than Rayman, there's no reason for him to not come back and he has even more requests.

He instantly became my favorite character to ever appear in a Smash game, and while I like Rayman more, I need my main back.

Not bothering with anything else. A veteran doesn't need a big write up for his case, he should already be here.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Snake

Chance: 50%

I don't know what's going on at Konami, but surely someone understands the want for Snake, right? So I'm putting it at a solid 50/50.

Cut so uncerimoniosly, great character in Brawl, super fun to play, and one of my favorite characters. And he didn't "fit" which was great in my opinion.

Wolf

Chance: 100%

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
SNAKE
Want: 10%

Sorry, but I'm not fond of Snake (though he is cool!). We already have enough 3rd party characters especially with the upcoming addition of Ryu.

WOLF
Prediction: 90%

Nominate:
Elmax5

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
"Kept you waiting, uh!"
Chance: 50% (80% if Ryu is really going to be added)
-Veteran (simply to implement)
-Fan Favourite (he is surely top 10 in the ballot, maybe even higher)
We just have to see if Nintendo is going to pay for the rights. And Ryu destryes every sinle argument against him, from "irrelevant" to "doesn't fit".

Want: There isn't a number enought high for describe how much I want him back.

P.S. Snake is relevant to Nintendo in a different way. If it wasn't for the NES version of Metal Gear, Konami would have not make the sequel (the MSX wasn't a succes) and maybe the series could have stopped at the first game. Nintendo saved Metal Gear, so have that series rappresented is another greag way for rappresent Nintendo and what they have done in gaming!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
SNAKE! SNAKE! SNAAAAKE!!
CHANCE: 15%
WANT: 60%

Snake felt like a one-time thing for Brawl, as he was a personal request from Kojima. While Kojima did express interest in him returning pre-release, there was still no sign of Snake. I take it that no side is particularly interested this time around. Phantom Pain not being on Wii U isn't helping either.

As for want, I'd like to see him back, but not quite as badly as the other veterans. He's not really high on my list, as I'm unfamiliar with Metal Gear.

WOLF PREDICTION: 92%

NOMINATIONS: IVYSAUR × 5

:231:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
To compare with my other ratings. I'm of the opinion that Nintendo will milk the DLC hype train for as much cash as they can, and recent events have only strengthened that notion. As such, I expect plenty of DLC characters.

King K. Rool: Chance 80%
Want: 75%

Bandanna Dee Chance: 70%
Want: 95%

Isaac Chance: 65%
Want: 85%

Captain Toad Chance: 58%

Inkling Chance: 50%
Want: 20%

Rayman Chance: 40%

Dixie Chances: 39%
Want: 49%

Impa Chance: 25%
Want: 60%

Banjo Chance: 20%

Krystal Chance: 15%
Want: 0%

Shantae Chance: 5%
Want: 15%

:snake: Chance: 40%

Pssh, Snake's not coming back, his games aren't anywhere near Nintendo systems, he didn't really fit in appearance wise, why on earth would he come- HADOUKEN!

....Oh....

As many others have pointed out, most of the arguments against Snake are effectively nullified by Ryu's inclusion. Except that Snake is much more requested then Ryu. Don't really have any more to add then that that others haven't already said :p

:snake: Want: 60%

Of all of the characters that have ever been in Smash, I could count on one hand the ones that I'd prefer to be cut, and none of those characters have actually BEEN cut. I liked playing as Snake, he was fun and unique. I've never played a Metal Gear game, so I don't have a personal attachment to the character, but I'd be happy to see him back regardless.

:wolf: Predictions: 94%

No freakin' duh.

Noms: Quote x5

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Just gonna pop in and say both Metal Gear and Snake have had significantly more appearances on Nintendo Consoles than that.

Metal Gear
Snake's Revenge
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel
Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Dream Mix TV: World Fighters
Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Scriblenauts (I know I was surprised too!)

These are all games that appeared on Nintendo consoles that had Snake in them.
That list is incomplete.
The original MSX version of Metal Gear was also on VC (and it's almost a different game from the NES one). Plus he made a cameo in a Yu-Gi-Oh game and in a sport game for the DS, but I can't remember the titles of these games.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
!

--

Snake

Chance: 20%
The third party character no one expected in Brawl wasn't totally expected for this go-around, either. But with the door open for DLC, can he sneak in again? His veteran status may help, with a moveset already created that'd only need to be re-coded. For that reason, he could be more likely to get the nod if the fan support was there, especially if Sakurai can still approach Konami's higher ups on good terms.

The key words there being "could", "if", and "especially if".

Once you take a look past the surface, that's when things get a little blurry. Snake's fan support is hit and miss: in some polls he's in the top 5, while in others he doesn't even reach the top 15. Without more consistent requests or unless more people are nominating him than are reporting so, he might not even be considered, especially considering how many more hurdles he has than Nintendo-owned characters. Furthermore, Nintendo's relationship with Konami has soured since Brawl's era, meaning the dev team might be less willing to team up with them to bring Snake back.

But what may be the coup de grace is Hideo Kojima's falling out with Konami and the news that he's leaving after he finishes Metal Gear Solid 5. Kojima and Sakurai go way back, and he was the reason Snake got in Brawl in the first place. If Konami got on Kojima's bad side...how willing will Sakurai be to give the go ahead to collaborate with the company that jilted his friend?

On one hand, he had an original moveset. On the other, though, he kinda stuck out like a sore thumb in Brawl. He could be worked a little to fit better in Smash's environment, but to be honest I don't care a whole lot for the guy.

...But if they do bring Snake back, for the love of all that is good and holy, fix those tilts!

Wolf Prediction: 87.75%
The one character nearly everyone is expecting. He has one hell of a case, but we've been wrong about "sure things" before...

Nominations: Sceptile x5

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm far more optimistic than the majority of people in this thread.

Snake's chance: 90%
Yes, I genuinely believe it's that high. Veteran status is a HUGE boost to his chances. Once a character is in Smash, they're in it for good. The demand for veterans is almost always higher than the demand for newcomers, because it's something people had and loved that was taken away. Just look at everyone's reaction to Mewtwo. I've seen more hype for the return of Lucas than most Smash 4 newcomers. And why wouldn't Nintendo capitalize on this? Re-tuning a pre-existing veteran is significantly less work than making a character from scratch, but they can charge the same price and make a huge number of fans happy.

You can argue how much Snake "belongs" in Smash all you want, but it's already been proven that he can be in Smash, because he already has been. The only thing possibly stopping him is his third party status, and really, that's a rather flimsy barrier on it's own. There are three third parties in the game already, one likely on the horizon, and again, Snake's already been in. That's a lot of proof that getting permission to add him back in is not hard in the slightest. Kojima himself has expressed interest in Snake's return. Konami is on board as well with their faves and retweets on twitter on the subject.

I have no reason to believe the rumors regarding Kojima and Konami's relationship should have any effect on this. What's the thought process? Konami doesn't like Kojima anymore, so just to spite him, they decide not to allow Snake in Smash 4? What's the benefit in doing that? None. They only serve to benefit from Snake's inclusion, so long as the rights to the character are sorted out for copyright reasons. Or on the other side, Kojima hates Konami now, so that immediately means he hates Metal Gear? Does he really have any reason to be so cynical that he'd personally request Sakurai not to put Snake in, just because he no longer works for the company he made MGS for? That's ridiculous. Kojima would be delighted to see Snake in Smash 4. It's silly to assume this fiasco matters at all for Smash.

Then there's the flimsy "no MGS5 on Wii U" excuse. So what? Snake joins the Smash 4 roster, therefore, Nintendo loses a bunch of money because people want to buy MGS5, a series that competes with nothing on Nintendo's lineup? Nintendo does not lose anything by adding Snake. They only serve to gain. DLC costs money. They get money from people buying the Snake DLC. Also MGS5 gets some promotion I guess, which effects Nintendo in no way at all. It's not like MGS is a stranger to Nintendo consoles anyway.

You could argue that all these points can apply to any 3rd party character, so Nintendo should just go crazy and add everyone from every series from every company. That argument would be silly though. 3rd parties are chosen because they're big enough characters to deserve it. They need to have proven themselves a worthy addition. What's the one 3rd party character not in Smash 4 that has already 100% undeniably proven themselves worthy of being in Smash? Snake, by being in Brawl. That's what makes all these points so much more relevant. If Snake was never in Smash to begin with, all the reasons people give out for why he shouldn't be in would be much more valid, same with any other 3rd party request.

tl;dr
Snake's veteran status is everything. He's already proven his place. Snake is easy to implement, meaning easy money, and an easy option to make fans happy. Nintendo has nothing to lose, and there are no logical barriers stopping Nintendo from adding him back in again. Only thing stopping me from saying 100% is that 10% chance that Nintendo is dumb enough to make the wrong move.

How much I want Snake: 100%
MGS is my favorite series. Snake is my favorite character in Brawl. That's all there is to it.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
SNAKE
Chance: 15%
- Being another 3rd Party, his chances are still relatively low. However, with his inclusion in a past Super Smash Bros. game, his chances are certainly higher than the rest. Still, I feel that Snake's inclusion in Smash was definitely a one-time thing. Another stand-point to look at is Smash 4's ESRB rating, being 'E10+'. Snake's weaponry had to be limited to explosives simply for Brawl to retain a 'T' rating. I doubt that RPGs, grenades, homing launchers, mortars, land mines, etc. would be allowed in an 'E10+' title.

- I don't think that Smash 4 needs any new 3rd Party characters, as I've said before, but Snake certainly isn't new! He'd make for a great veteran to return to the fray. The reason why my 'Want' rating not 100% is because I'm concerned for if/how they'd chance him to make him fit in the 'E10+' rating. That, and as always, I feel that other characters should get in first. Nonetheless, I'd absolutely love to see him make a comeback. I feel bad that I didn't include him in my Top 5 video, but since he was 3rd Party, I didn't feel that he shoud've been included. Would've taken the #3 spot for sure.

Prediction: Wolf - 95% Chance/80% Want
- Note, my prediction does not reflect my opinion

Nomination: Sceptile - x5
- Best starter ever! Yeah, I'm helping you out, @ Delzethin Delzethin

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
I remember once upon a time before Brawl's release, I read a comment from someone who was convinced that Snake would have a gun, but it would shoot tiny Bullet Bills.

Last edited:
Top Bottom