• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
K Rool
80% Chane
100% Want

Several people have argued why he is likely, and about his scenario. I'll just bullet what helps him. Also, Mii Costume is nothing concrete.
  • lack of DK characters
  • Huge ballot popularity
  • huge moveset potential (Heavy, trap based character)
  • Villain
Imo, He is a huge front runner still. If we get 5 newcomers from the ballot, he will be one of them. I personally see us getting these characters left as the most likely outcome.

PreBallot
Wolf, Snake, RH Rep
Post Ballot
K Rool, Isaac, Inkling, Bandanna Dee

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Such a notable possibility can't be ignored when evidence is supported. I think the evidence itself is already enough to make it one of the more possible reasons as to why the quality for the costume is at an all-time high. Not "countered" if that's not the right word, but lessening the notion of the costume being a hint at all.
Your absolute attitude contributes to your annoyance to others.

Just pointing that out.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Anyway, now imagine King K. Rool pulling Kaptain K. Rool's rifle from out of nowhere. Looks out of character for him, doesn't it? Hypothetically, if the dev team tried the alternative of having K. Rool change his persona from King to Kaptain while pulling out his rifle, there might be technical issues preventing that from coming into fruition.
I suppose the most comparable case to K. Rool here would be Kirby. Well, he doesn't get actual personas like K. Rool does, but he's still in a similar position when it comes to costumes at least. In his games Kirby can't freely change his abilities and needs to get a certain power to use each of them which by the way give him a unique hat... whereas in Smash Bros. Kirby can use three visually distinct of these powers without having any hat, and even then he can still use them all when he gets one by inhaling an opponent. (Or four copy abilities at once without the possibility to get any hat at all if you use Ice Breath custom)

I'm not saying your point is moot, actually I'd say it may be the biggest hurdle K. Rool could have to face, the guy who made this game was the one who judged Mario's doctor persona worthy of being his own separate character after all, but I wouldn't say it couldn't be worked on. I would say even though he never used it outside of his Kaptain persona as of now, King K. Rool using the blunderbuss for a few moves (two or three at most I'd say) wouldn't look that out of place imo. Now the helicopter pack which is generally suggested as his recovery admittedly clashes with the King persona more than the blunderbuss does, but if used for the recovery and nothing more it wouldn't be that much of a deal breaker imo.

When it comes to fan-made K. Rool movesets I feel that there are often ideas to use even the most obscure source of moveset potential using electric pods, boxing gloves etc. to create MUH UNIQUE moves for the sake of referencing source material and I'm don't think that I agree with this moveset design philosophy, because at some point you're going to break his thematic coherence as a fighter. I personally have an accurate idea of how I would design him if I had to make a Smash game and the only visually unique things outside of his King persona I would give him (so no counting generic moves like the ground pound from DK64) would be him using the blunderbuss for his neutral special (status gases), side smash (spiked kannonball), and maybe his grab (the vacuum thing), plus the helicopter pack up special. That's about the same amount of "out of place" moves as Kirby actually has in Smash... and while we're talking about him, at first I was disappointed when I played Triple Deluxe to see the sheer amount of potential he could have from those copy abilities instead of the mostly generic looking normal moves he has in Smash but I have to admit that giving him too much visually unique moves as normals would break his thematic coherence as a Smash fighter. Some of his normal moves are actually inspired from his several copy abilities (like fighter jab and forward smash, yo-yo dash attack and ninja up throw) but they look generic enough to not break his thematic coherence. To give another example there's a reason why things like Gust Bellows, Beetle and Bombchus are regular items and not part of Link's moveset, because his main weapon is still his sword anyway and he only needs his most iconic secondary weapons to be done justice.

I agree with your point overall, as seeing King K. Rool using a mix of blunderbuss, boxing gloves, electricity, etc. moves for all of his moveset as a way to design it with the same state of mind as Mega Man by trying to make each move reference something very specific is not going to feel right; it works for Mega Man because he's a robot specialized in permanently stealing robot master weapons, but I doubt it would work well for K. Rool. I still think it could work wonderfully with the same state of mind as for Kirby's moveset instead, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's going to be the main reason for his exclusion. Especially if we're getting a Kaptain K. Rool Mii gunner costume in a future update...

Last edited:

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
KIng K. Rool

Chance: 75%
He is a very popular choice.

Want:100%
*Another DK rep
*Another Villain
*Another Heavyweight
*Lots of possible moves and customs

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Such a notable possibility can't be ignored when evidence is supported. I think the evidence itself is already enough to make it one of the more possible reasons as to why the quality for the costume is at an all-time high. Not "countered" if that's not the right word, but lessening the notion of the costume being a hint at all.
Absurd.

Your opinion can't lessen or diminish another's. At this point, all evidene, so called, is subjective. You can't treat second hand translations, past character inclusions, or something as new and strange as Mii Fighter costumes to negate the 'hint' theory.

That's not how this game works.

You may provide an interpretation to events, statements, or other such material, but that's all it is.

An interpretation. BluePikmin11's explanation, not BluePikmin11's tried and tested theory to end all other theories.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
K. Rool pulling weaponry out of thin air wouldn't be at all weird. It's essential to his very character.

He fires toxic fumes and turns invisible in the middle of battle, for kroc's sake!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Your absolute attitude contributes to your annoyance to others.

Just pointing that out.
I'm not absolute with the theory. :urg:
I have never said anything was absolute like this.
I'd rather quit this game than to be misinterpreted entirely if I can't have a calm debate. :(
Now I just feel too scared to do any debate.

Absurd.

Your opinion can't lessen or diminish another's. At this point, all evidene, so called, is subjective. You can't treat second hand translations, past character inclusions, or something as new and strange as Mii Fighter costumes to negate the 'hint' theory.

That's not how this game works.

You may provide an interpretation to events, statements, or other such material, but that's all it is.

An interpretation. BluePikmin11's explanation, not BluePikmin11's tried and tested theory to end all other theories.
I'll apply it to my thinking if it means less annoyance.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
King K Rool Chances: 75%

Despite a rather shocking reveal as a Mii costume, the Smash Ballot probably won't even be touched until October. This could mean that what we've been planning on being K. Rool's best chance of an inclusion in SSB4 hasn't even been considered.

Aside from appeal from fans, K. Rool is the most frequently appearing Boss in the DKC series. He's loaded with moveset potential, and interesting concepts for a heavy character. While we can't assume Sakurai's mind when choosing DLC characters completely, K. Rool seems like a logical choice. There's a bit more uncertainty because of the Kostume, so a 25% chance of not being included is given.

K. Rool Want: 95%

Other than one or two other characters (who have little to no chance, due to being ATs or Third-Party), K. Rool is my most wanted character for SSB4 DLC.

This may lead me to be slightly biased in my assessment of the Kaptain's chances, but I've tried to sort in the absolute uncertainty of absolutely everything so far. Mii Costumes? The Ballot's purpose? What Sakurai is saying when he said 'fan service'?

Only time will tell. But I'll stick with 3/4ths of a chance, to be safe and fair.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
What other way should I say it then? I don't think I can be anymore nicer without having to change my different perspective in certain characters.
Not arguing back against points that mention that it's simply a perspective of yours, which you wholly defend as if it were absolute, would be a good start.

Your perspective is fine; the way you express it is not. You're not the only one with low expectations, but none of the other users post about it the way you do.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I've thought about the potential "lack of flow" or whatever being a hindrance with K. Rool's moveset, but for Sakurai to legitimately decide against him on that basis, he'd have to be going out of his way to look for reasons to exclude the character. "Lack of flow" is a poor one because, one, the obvious solution is to focus on just one or two of the major weapons (blunderbuss of course, then maybe multiple helicopter pack, boxing glove and/or electric attacks so they feel more central), and two, K. Rool is a zany and sporadic character, the campy sort of villain who is perfectly in character whipping out new devices to destroy the good guys.

I'd sooner bet on a dumb superficial aversion to "another fat reptile" keeping him out than on an unwillingness to put any effort whatsoever in mixing and matching his weapons to find a fitting combination.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
What do you mean by this?
Like?:
"This is my perspective"
"Your perspective is incorrect for reasons"
Pretty much. You even mention yourself that a part of your perspective is based on a way you think, an idea of yours; using personal ideas in a debate as if they were official information like this leads to a perception of bias and lack of real credible standing. Everything you listed with official sources, perfectly fine, but leave personal ideas out of it or keep them to an absolute minimum, especially for a volatile discussion like this.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
ITS DA KING AHHHHH

King K. Rool
Chance: 85%
Want: 75%

I'm not as big on him like others and there's another that'll take over him but we can use another heavyweight and he could be fun.

D

Deleted member

I was gone for a few hours and everything was running smoothly.
Now...

In the end, this is all just speculation. The game is meant to determine how much we think a character is likely and how much we want them. We then have an average to get our scores for how much we think the character is likely and how much we want them.
Our perspectives are not the same. One could view the Mii Fighter costume as a benefit to K. Rool, means nothing at all, or a major detriment.
And you know what, that's fine!

Don't force your opinions onto others because not only will that annoy the other players, but it will create debates such as this.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Alright then.
I feel like a sore loser at this point though.
This tide gets you down
But swim up now, refuse to drown
There's so much to learn
You just got to wait your turn

Everyone makes mistakes, all it takes is to accept that you may have been wrong about a few things and moving on, making sure not to repeat the errors of yesterday. :)

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
K. Rool
Chance- 38%
There are a lot of ways to interpret the Mii Costumes given this is the first game we've had to contend with them. Personally, I'm not optimistic about K. Rool at this point, as I feel like they wouldn't make them for a character that they thought they might add.
But there are so many other reasons why K. Rool should be considered, and my interpretation could be completely wrong. For example, maybe the costume was in development before they realized just how popular he was, and it can now be used to make a playable model. I'm not counting him out until the kredits are completely done rolling.
Want- 100%
We've rated him a lot in the past, so if anyone is just dying to know why I want him (you don't), you can check there.

Nominations:
Saffron City x5

M&Mavocado

Smash Cadet
Many others have already expressed my thoughts about K. Rool's chances and why people want him in better than I could...

Chance: 80%
Want: 100%

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
I'm assuming I'm gonna be one of the few here with this

K Rool

Chance: 40% Mii Costume hurts his chances, and before you say a thing, no Meta Knight's situation is not the same. No other Mii costume newcomer has made it into the game and I doubt they will. Maybe next game.

Want:0%

I have no ties to the character and honestly prefer other 1st and 3rd parties get. Honestly, having seen what he is capable of I only see him as a grab bag of other characters moves. Ex: Crown Toss = Boomerang. Cannon balls = Bowser Jr.'s cannon/Mii Brawler Medicine ball. Boxing Gloves = Villagers Boxing gloves. At best I see him playing like a fusion of Bowser (claw swipes) and Dedede (Hitting people with his musket maybe) with a few unique moves.

Morbi

Scavenger
Honestly, I have not posted in this thread for awhile as I believe, more or less, that every character objectively has a 50% chance by definition. Either they are planned for the game, or they are not. Furthermore, that does not necessarily mean that they will or will not make the cut. Positive or negative, it is one or the other. Our perceptions of the evidence do not alter this sentiment in the slightest; therefore...

Chance: 50%

As per the more easily quantifiable notion of "want." Well, he is easily my most wanted character. Wolf is my favorite Nintendo character and antagonist, but I want King K. Rool more. The reason is simple, he offers something unique. I love Smash 4. It is my second favorite game of all time, right behind Melee; however, the one issue I had with the roster was that none of the newcomers felt entirely unique to me. It is nearly impossible for me to feel precisely the same exact way about King K. Rool. Even if they turned him into a generic heavy-weight, because in the end, those are the most fun characters and Smash 4 exhibited a blatant lack in that archetype. Best case scenario is that he is the most fun character in the game based on his overt move-set potential. Possibly even a zoning heavy-weight. I shiver (in delight) at the prospect. Worst case scenario is that I have another heavy-weight to choose from. Regardless, I will be happy.

Sun & Moon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedNes30
3DS FC
3411-1835-2138
Chance - 45%
The mii costume definitly hurts his chances, but the King still has too much going on for him, such as populaty and moveset potential. Thus, I'm giving him a 45%.
Want - 10%
Never played a single one of any game he appeard in (except for Super Mario Sluggers...does this game count?), so I'm not too interest in his inclusion.

BlueSmasher73

Smash Rookie
I think most others have said everything I wanted to about K. Rool, so I'll just give my ratings.

Chance - 75%

Want - 100%

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Honestly, I have not posted in this thread for awhile as I believe, more or less, that every character objectively has a 50% chance by definition. Either they are planned for the game, or they are not. Furthermore, that does not necessarily mean that they will or will not make the cut. Positive or negative, it is one or the other. Our perceptions of the evidence do not alter this sentiment in the slightest; therefore...

Chance: 50%
Really you can apply this argument to basically any binary choice. Will the sun rise tomorrow? It either will or won't; and us arguing about it won't matter, so evidently there is a 50% chance the sun will not rise tomorrow.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Originally I was in the "Mii costume helps" camp. However, based on some of these very interesting arguments, I have changed my mind a bit.

Chance: 49% - It's almost a coin flip, but one of the sides is weighted a bit heavier. I personally believe Sakurai and his gang have kept a good look on the ballot, because he wants to pump out as many characters as he can before the developmental group breaks up. So, because of this, I think Sakurai was alert of the outcry for King K Rool. As many others have said, it doesn't count him out, but to me it certainly hurts him.

Want: 95% - I love the guy not because I played DK as a kid, but because I watched DK as a kid on TV. King K Rool is such a funny character, and to me it would be a blast if he was playable. He certainly is in my current top ten for who I want as DLC.

Do I still think he's in? Yes. My pics still (if four only) are Wolf, King K, Shantae, and Chibi Robo.

Predictions:
Representation for Ballot Runner up - 55%
Ms. Pac alt - 4%

Nominations:
Idolm@ster Representation x 5

Last edited:

CelerinaTheJackrabbit

Smash Cadet
I'll agree that most everything has been said that I would've said too. So I'll just quietly drop a

Chance: 80%
Want: 90%

Mostly because that other 10% is still reserved for all the other characters I'd want. o wo

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
I really dont understand how people can give k rool 80+ ratings but when inkling got there cosutmes half of you though they were deconfirm.Double standards much? K rool is popular and i know a lot of people dont want to see him deconfirmed or even have a dent in his changes.But there is a difference between being in denial and thinking critcal.

Also ease up @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 the guy didn't do anything but state his opinion.There was no need to jump on him like that

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I really dont understand how people can give k rool 80+ ratings but when inkling got there cosutmes half of you though they were deconfirm.Double standards much? K rool is popular and i know a lot of people dont want to see him deconfirmed or even have a dent in his changes.But there is a difference between being in denial and thinking critcal.
With the Inklings, there was a lot of talk about them being made playable in Smash to promote Splatoon. When it turned out there were only Mii costumes and a non-playable trophy, that whole argument fell apart. Now they'd have to get in on their own merits, and their support base seems to be midrange at best. Plus, Nintendo might feel like bringing in someone from an IP that's less than six months old could be too big of a risk yet.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Really you can apply this argument to basically any binary choice. Will the sun rise tomorrow? It either will or won't; and us arguing about it won't matter, so evidently there is a 50% chance the sun will not rise tomorrow.
These only apply to cases where both possibilities of equal chance tho. Since either side of this case cannot really be proved or disproved too much with evidence, it's only safe to rate 50% in such case.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
King K. Rool's chances: 50%

I gave fellow costume Inkling a coin toss, and I'm doing the same to King K. Rool. While the costume could very well be a consolation prize, it's far from a disconfimation in my book and he's still a popular choice. I would not be surprised with his inclusion, nor would I be if he was excluded.

Apart from a certain bear and bird that has nearly no chance, King K. Rool is my most wanted character. I love the DK series and would like to see a new character from it, he's probably my favorite Nintendo villain, and he's definitely someone I want to play as.

Ballot runner-up representation prediction: 61.48%
Ms. Pac-Man alt prediction: 6.22%

Nominations: Saffron City x5

King K. Rool

Chance 40%

In regards to the ballot, a situation like this hasn't happened before so it is too hard to say if the Mii costume has affected his chances, at best we're guessing because we don't know what is going on with Sakurai and his team. At first I thought it was a hammer blow but thinking it over there are too many variables and situations which muddy the waters.

From what I'm seeing K. Rool tops polls or is at the very least top 5.... Big and passionate supporter base. Questions remain in regards to "casuals" and if they know about K. Rool. The bigger question is, would "casuals" know about the ballot and are their votes more important and more frequent compared to people who follow the game more closely?

Want 100%

My vote went to K. Rool.

The usual.

Heavyweight, villain, another DK rep for a treasured franchise which didn't get a whole bunch of new content, potential to be a very fun and zany fighter, someone I would definitely buy and use if potential movesets and playstyles are anything to go by.

Would bring more kharacter to the kast, he'd fit right in with his wackiness.

a smart guy

Smash Journeyman
King K. Rool
Chance: 25% I know people will rate him higher than this, but we need to be realistic. The Mii Fighter has limited K. Rool's options. Either Sakurai has doubled down on the K. Rool representation, which would be odd, or he's trolling us. While this is Sakurai we're talking about, I don't think he would do something like this. I'll give him a 1 out of 4 chance, and that's being generous.
Want: 45% I only know about him because of his fans. I only care about him because of his fans. I don't understand why he got popular, but I am ambivalent towards him. I only want him so that my friends on this site will be happy.

Morbi

Scavenger
Basically any binary choice implies that there are exceptions, and the one example you chose to illuminate (pun intended) is one of those examples that does not apply. "Evidently" nothing. That is a straw-man fallacy.

Top Bottom