• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Chance: 40%

Splatoon has become an immensely popular game for the WiiU, and in order to promote the game even further, the Inkling can be added onto the Smash Bros roster. The Smash roster is also lacking with gun-using fighters; we only have Fox, Falco, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Megaman, and Mii Gunner that fulfill that role. By adding the Inkling to the roster, that low number of gun-yielders on the roster would be boosted considering the Inkling is prominently known for using a rapid-firing, ink gun. The female Inkling also boosts the number of female fighters on the Smash roster as well. Of course, the Inkling has also been one of the most heavily requested DLC characters as of late, helping to solidify its chances of joining the Smash Bros roster.

But there are reasons why I don't think Inkling's chances are at 80% or more. For starters, one can make the argument that the Inkling is too new to join the roster. This is similar to Cross/Elma from Xenoblade Chronicle X and Jibanyan from Yokai Watch considering their games are arguably just as new as Splatoon. However, there is a key difference. Splatoon is already widely known outside of Japan compared to Xenoblade Chronicles X and Yokai Watch. In fact, Splatoon already has representation in Smash Bros 4 thanks to the most recent DLC patch where we saw the inclusion of an Inkling trophy and Inkling Mii costumes. However, I think this is another fact that has lowered Inkling's chances. The way how they included the trophy and the Mii costumes makes it look like they sort of gave us the idea the Inklings are already a part of Smash. However, one can easily interpret that the other way as saying they could be hinting at the Inkling's eventual inclusion as full-fledged fighters, but personally, I'm one of those people that sees it as the other way around.

Going back to what I said about Splatoon being "too new" yet already widely known to gamers outside of Japan, I feel as though the Inkling is one of those characters that would be better represented in Smash Bros 5 instead of Smash Bros 4. I mean, I'm pretty sure Nintendo is going to make a Splatoon sequel when the NX comes out thanks to its success on the WiiU, and by then, the demand for Inklings' inclusion in Smash 5 will be at an all time high.

Want: 60%

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing the Inkling being included. I've been playing Splatoon for the past two weeks before the last Smash Bros DLC Patch came out, and I absolutely love the addicting gameplay it offers! I can see a lot of unique potential the Inkling can have for its moveset. In addition to using the Splattershot as a normal weapon for most of its regular attacks, it could also use the Charger for its normal special, the Paint Roller for its side special, the sky-high Squid Jump for its up special (normal Squid Jump would probably be its second jump), and Ink Bursts/Ink Bombs/Sneakers/Ink Mines for its down special. The Inkling would be such a fun fighter, it's not even funny.

The main reason why I'm not giving the Inkling a 100% want rating is because when it comes to DLC characters, I prefer seeing characters get in that are not too recent but rather the character's game being released a certain time back to the point most gamers are completely familiar with the character by now. That being said, I'd prefer seeing the Inkling being included in Smash Bros 5 for reasons I previously stated.

Predictions:
Beast Ganon (Legend of Zelda): 8.20%

Nominations:

Jean Descole (Professor Layton): x3
Gallade (Pokemon): x2

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Inkling

Chance - 10% - Cutting my old score in half. While Splatoon is more popular than most people could possibly imagine, the fact that it has both a trophy and costumes makes me think they want to wait the game out. In the next for sure, but I only think they'll get in if support is overwhelming.

Want - 95% - Probably my second most wanted at this point, between Ridley and Bandanna Dee.

Beast Ganon Prediction - 5.67% - Shouldn't do too well.

Nominations
Karate Joe X4
Secondary Ballot X1

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Inklings

Click me (warning possible spoilers)

Chance: 45%
Previous Chance Rating:

Well, not much to say about the Inklings but the deal is that is the case for everyone as not only are they a new character but they're franchise hasn't even been released yet...Even still they already have a bunch of fans as they seem to be doing fairly well in various polls around the net, sometimes even landing top 5 (but not consistently, mind you) In terms of a moveset it is hard to say as their game isn't out yet but there are still some fairly neat abilities present one being able to turn into a squid that can swim within their splattered ink (actually I heard that they are originally squids and the 'kid forms' are their transformations, but I could be wrong)...
Now for the kicker...would both Splatoon and smash benefit if the Inklings are released for dlc? Maybe. When you look at both Roy and Lucas who were featured as Smash fighters before their games were released then the possibility is there, but unlike Lucas and Roy; Splatoon is the first in it's series. It seems to have a fair amount of hype and support behind it but at the same time no one really knows if it will indeed live up to that hype, where as budding franchises have their respective fanbases to turn to if it isn't 'amazing' so sales are not going to be too terrible as the fanbases can still stand behind those games...Either way I feel like Nintendo may wait a bit just to test the waters first, let the brand new franchise give itself some time to settle before trying to sell itself beforehand...If this was for Smash 5 after the game has already has already settled into the Nintendo Gaming world and has done moderately well in terms of sales (with the same fan support) then you'd see a nice 90% from me...but since this for Smash 4 dlc and the game is still new (not even technically), I'm gonna split that percentage in half as the possibility is there but not quite a definite certainty...
Since my original rating, there were definitely a lot of guessing and assumptions going since we didn't really know too much about Splatoon and the Inklings at the time, now is a different story since the game's been out for a bit and has actually done rather well on the market...Features all sorts of online compatibility (besides the lack of voice chat which people seemed to be upset about it's absence but since haven't given much thought) as well as potential for it's own DLC in game to help increase it's longevity...And of course it's very own Amiibos with Amiibo based challenges in game for increased fun and challenge.

After seeing what the Inklings can do there really isn't any doubt that they have loads of potential for a unique moveset, just based around their standard weaponry, as well as their squid transformations, with even several choices for Final Smashes whether it's a Kraken Transformation, Inks Airstrike, Ink Lasers, or even the use of the yet to be released Rain missiles which were shown during the Splatoon direct (I'm pretty sure they function like balistic missiles if my guess is correct)...

Now this leads me into the current Splatoon content released so far, the Mii costumes, Squid Hat, and Trophy...This may mean something...or it may mean nothing...Splatoon is still a new franchise so jumping the gun may not be the best approach as it still needs to establish itself...The added content pretty much tells us that it is very likely that the Inklings weren't pre-determined characters for Smash, although it may also be just a simple teaser and if they had the models to work with they can easily be implemented into Mii costumes, but I do think it is the former...personally I don't think it hurts their chances at all since even before the game's release I never expected them to be pre-determined anywys, unlike say Greninja, Splatoon isn't a juggernaut of a franchise so there really is a greater risk involved since the game is still brand new...The Ballot is really their chance to get in or not...they are still garnering their support but it has since died down a bit since the game's release...but at the same time they are starting to gain an actual more loyal fanbase rather than a crap ton of bandwagoning...

Overall my rating remains unchanged because their pros and cons pretty much remain the same since now we just now more about them rather than anything actually changing...they may be implemented after the ballot closes or they may be sitting this one out until the next game, which we will most likely see them, as long as Splatoon maintains it's current momentum...

----

Want: 80%
Previous Want Rating:

Want: 50%
Well can't say I know much about them, not much more than anyone else obviously...once the game is out I may have a better grasp but overall they do seem like interesting characters...I wasn't as hyped as most when the game was first revealed so I'm not really all that excited about it (the game actually reminds me of a mini game from Crash Bash back in the day, cept on a whole nother level) Overall it would be neat to try them out but I'm not going to be disappointed in there not in...so I'm pretty much neutral on the whole situation...in terms of their chances and how I feel about them...
After seeing them in action I can't help but think how cool they would be in the Smash environment...Splatting ink on the stage and using their squid forms to move quickly from one side to the next...I can only imagine their reveal trailer, with say Mario doing some victory pose after a hard fought battle and getting ink splatted in his face as other fighters look on confused as the Inklings make their big entrance...

There is definitely room for more Splatoon content and the possiblilty of getting a Splatton stage with some of the music from the game seems pretty awesome as well...

----

Prediction: 9.8%
Beast Ganon
Not to be confused with the giant Boar looking thing in ganondorf's final Smash we are talking about the trident Weilding Ganon of old...the Original Ganon...

----

Nominations:
Concept: DLC Adventure Mode x3 (a Yoshi's Island level, with Shy Guys and Birdo popping up giving people a bad day...perhaps they could pick up and throw eggs that may drop items/trophies/power-ups, etc...and of course a Yoshi Themed boss at the end, possibly one from the new Wooly World, or something to take us back to the original Yoshi's Island)
!Rerate: Impa x1
Sylux x1

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Second chances

Inklings

Chances:10%

Want: N/A

I feel like Sakurai gave the Splatoon fans their fill with the trophies and Mii costumes. I think that's all the representation they are gonna get and won't have anymore until the next game which I'll give you an easy grade

Chance:95%
Want:45%

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Inkling chances: 5%
Blah blah blah Nintendo's new big IP blah blah blah great success blah blah blah hugely marketed...

Okay I don't think it's necessary to explain how big of a deal Splatoon has been, but it's interesting to see the new purchasable Mii costume as well as the new trophy bundled with it. That's part of Splatoon's recognition and promotion from Nintendo as a strong IP. However, it only had been done through minor contents, just a costume and a trophy, most likely as a way to feel less intrusive than a playable character which would just feel forced at this point considering Splatoon's recency *insert muh relevance recency joke here* However, once Splatoon becomes established enough (maybe one year later?), they could eventually add a proper playable Inkling to the roster as DLC.

However, with how faithful the Inkling costumes are to the original Inklings from Splatoon, it gave me some doubt about Nintendo considering them as DLC material and, to be honest, base roster makes much more sense than DLC to make a brand new series established within the Smash universe; they'd honestly make more sense for the next Smash rather than Smash 4 DLC. But what I think makes the Inklings particularly iffy are potential technical issues. There's no way they will be version exclusive, and I have some doubt the 3DS could handle a paint mechanic; the Wii U could even potentially struggle keeping constant 1080p 60fps with them, especially with 8-player Smash. Sure, you may do something different with them, but that'd honestly do little justice to them and what Splatoon is about.

I'd say they're a lock for the next gen Smash... as long as the new console and handheld systems are much more ambitious in power increase than the transition from GCN to Wii >_>

Inkling want: 30%
I think the Inklings pretty much already had gotten their place among Nintendo's hall of fame, but putting them in Smash right now would feel forced and I think a new Nintendo series like this would need to get a newcomer in the initial roster rather than post-release paid DLC to feel fully established within the Smash universe. Plus I have some concerns about limitations making their potential inclusion less interesting and unable to represent what Splatoon is truly about. Keep them for the next gen Smash instead.

Ganon prediction: 3.19%
Ganondorf's Final Smash means he'll most likely do poorly.

Nominating:
Playable newcomer: Tetrimino x5

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Inkling

Chance: 20%

The content from the Patch makes me wonder about their real chance.... Also... How put the Ink mechanic in this game?

Want: 0%

No hate in this game... Is because... IS TOO NEW! Fighter Ballot should suppot older characters! No new ones with 100% Chance in Smash 5... 3:

:sadsheep:

Prediction: Ganon

Chance: 9%

Nominatons:

Rerate! Solid Snake x5

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Inkling - [No phrase today, here's a pic]

There we go. Splatoon in a nut shell. :laugh:

Original Ratings
Inklings

Chance: 40% - People really seem to be placing these guys high on the ballot. However, I don't think they are the highest in voting for the ballot (I believe that's K. Rool, feel free to prove me wrong though!), so that already might hinder them. Also, because their game hasn't even come out yet, they don't have much for move set capabilities.

Want: 0% - Sorry, I'm going to have to be that guy (I believe this is the first 0% want that I've given). First of all, the game for these guys hasn't even come out yet. This isn't the same thing as Roy, who had a previously established series, these guys are just jumping into a series for the first time. We have nothing to go off of for these characters. I'd prefer we wait until the game is released before putting them in Smash. There is also the matter of "being legendary" in gaming. While this might more so apply to 3rd party characters, I feel it does also apply just a bit to first party characters. I just feel that they should go through a "proving" trial first before anyone decides anything.

Chance
20% - I think their chances have been greatly diminished by Mii Costumes AND a trophy already added to the game. Why bother adding the trophy now if they were to add the Inkling as a DLC character? They don't have the ballot support to trump anyone like King K. Rool, so I don't see ballot rankings changing the views the Smash team might have about adding them to the game. Now Captain Cuttlefish on the other hand...

Just kidding. Inkling's do come first. :laugh:

Want
5% - Only because I've now been able to play the game and connect to the source material. What? You think that I don't like the game, and that's why I'm still giving a low want rating? Quite the contrary. Splatoon is a rather fine game. However, the star power that the Inklings hold is much better suited to hype up the next Smash Bros. game. In other words, if they wait until the next Smash Bros. game to add them, it would instantly hype everyone up for Smash 5, rather than wasting their potential on a small DLC spot.

Predictions: Beast Ganon - um, isn't this already Ganondork Ganondorf's final smash? Um... OK then. 7.5%

Nominations: What? 5 Extra nominations? This calls for a celebratory action!

Meowth X10

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Day 70. Has it really been a full year since Nintendo introduced their fans to their newborn IP? They've grown from being kids to squids. My ratings apply to both Smash 4 as DLC or Smash 5 as a newcomer.
Previous Evaluations:
K.Rool Chance: 87% Want: 100

Banjo & Kazooie Chance: 3% Want: 14%

Isaac Chance: 70% Want: 90%

Bandanna Dee Chance: 42% Want: 50%

Captain Toad: Abstained chance and want

Krystal Chance: 36% Want: 71%

Dixie Kong Chance: 40% Want: 43%

Impa Chance: 35% Want 79%

Shantae Chance: 10% Want 54%

Inklings Chance: 31% Want: 51%

Rayman Chance: 61% Want 89%

Snake Chance: 35% Want: 50%

Wolf Chance: 98% Want: 100%

Shovel Knight Chance: 13%Want 65%

Quote Chance 8% Want: 4%

Ice Climbers Chance: 25% Want: 40%

Sceptile: Chance: 12.60 Want: 52%

Wonder Red Chance: 18% Want: 78%

Promoted NPCs Chance: 13% Want: 30%

Henry Fleming Chance: 13.20 Want: 57%

Paper Mario Chances: 14% Want: 8%

Roy Chance: 98% Want 100%

Ridley Chance: 5% Want 75%

Chorus Men Chance: 9% Want: 45%

DLC Costumes: Chance 80% Want: 100%

Magolor Chance: 7% Want: 46%

Wolf Link and Midna Chance: 3% Want: 25%

Ray Chance: 37% Want 55%

Tetra Chance: 19% Want: 46%

Pichu Chance: 30% Want: 68%

Ryu Chance 98% Want: 75%

Phoenix Wright Chance: 7% Want: 100%

Lip: Abstained Chance and Want

Simon Belmont Chance: 4% Want 57%

Daisy Chance: 21% Want: 10%

Ninten Chance and Want 1%

Geno Chance: 1% Want: 13%

Squirtle and Ivysaur Chance 13%, Want: 1%

Professor Layton - Chance: 23% Want: 75%

DLC Customs - Chance: 67% Want: 100%

Spyro the Dragon - Abstained Chance and Want

DLC Music Packs - Chance: 67% Want: 100%

KOS-MOS Chance: 1.67% Want: 1.67%

Any Rhythm Heaven Representative character Chance: 35% Want: 65%

Elma and Cross Chance 4% Want: 0% (Not at the moment)

9-Volt Chances: 3% 3%

Monita Chance: 7% Want: 47%

Mach Rider Chance: 9% Want: 15%

Anna Chance: 7% Want 7%

Toon Zelda Chance: 12% Want: 3%

B.B Bandit Trio Chance: 1% Want 1%

Young Link Chance: 26 Want: 60%

Dark Samus: Abstained Chance and Want

Jibanyan Chance: 4% Want: 26%

Chibi-Robo Chance: 17% Want: 46%

7 + DLC Chance: 89% Want: 100%

Viridi Chance: 8% Want: 6%

Zael Chance and Want Abstained

Bayonetta Chance: 15% Want: 67%

New Palutena’s Guidance Chance: 56% Want: 98%

R.O.B Eye glitch patched Chance: 80% Want: 50%

Micaiah Chance: 3.01% Want: Abstain

Overestimated: Ice Climbers, Captain Toad, Chibi-Robo

Underestimates: Krystal, Chorus Men, Inklings

Most Accurate: King K. Rool, Isaac and Wolf.

Most Hype Inflating: Return of Roy, Robin and Lucina Trailer, Shulk Trailer.

Most Hype Deflating: ESRB Leak

Satisfaction with Roy: 100%

Satisfaction with Ryu: 97%

Abstained Smash Direct and E3 Presentation

Ice Climbers Re-rate: No change - (25%, 40%)

Tetra Re-rate: Chance: 27% Want: 57%

Alpha Form Stages Chance: 14% Want: 75

Andy Chance: 9.85% Want: 53%

Gengar: Chance: 3% Want: 10% (This doesn’t mean I hate Gengar)

Inklings Re-rate: New chance: 65% New Want: 97%
Original Chance rating: 31%
It's inkredible to think that in the same update that brought Lucas, Roy and Ryu we found a trophy for the Inkling Girl, and Mii Costumes based on them. Does this hurt their chances? It all depends on how you look at it.
+Splatoon has representation in Smash Bros even to the smallest degree as a trophy, or Mii Costumes.
+Some people may see this and want to send a vote for them, lending them Ballot support in the long run. (I know I'll be sending a ballot vote for them after this, and it'll be my last vote for good)
~Mii Costumes don't show off what the Inklings are really capable of - they can't be squids or kids! Their just... Miis
~On the other hand, people may jump the ship thinking that trophies and Mii Costumes ultimately de-confirm a character (Where have I heard that? :4mewtwo::4lucas::4link:)
++Even if the Inklings are saved for the next Smash Bros - they've got lots of potential thanks to all the weapons they have, from the Splattershot, the Charger, the Roller and even the Kraken as a Final Smash!
Personally? I believe their chances have risen, ever so slightly - I'm rating their chances at 60% for both Smash 4 DLC or a newcomer for Smash 5.

Want? The fact I'll be sending a Ballot vote shows how I want them, either as DLC or Smash 5.
97% (Original score: 51%)
Splatoon has earned a spot in Nintendo's all-star legacy, despite being so new. Even being the freshest IP off the block, I can't see Nintendo seeing Splatoon as a one-off game, and if it were to get another game, the Inklings will just have one more game under their belt Regardless of Smash 4 DLC or Smash 5 newcomer - I would love to see the Inklings in Smash Bros.
Stay Fresh!!

Ganon Predictions: 6.75%

Last edited:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Inklings:

- I have unfortunately been lagging with buying their game, but the demo was experience enough for me to buy it soon. Their popularity is booming greatly, we cannot deny this. The trophy needs to stop being a "deconfirmation" thing. Hello, look at Mewtwo and Lucas.

Want: 100%
- Yes please :D

Ganon predictions: 3%

Nominations:
Crash x5

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Inkling chances 5%
Mii custom that you need to buy to play as inkling mii and inkling trophy is killing their chances and no don't say "but link has a mii costume too" because you can make :younglinkmelee: Of it also it's too early to have them in smash

Want 0%
A character from a game that released 2015 being added in 2014 game no i don't want this but if there is going to be smash 5 then inkling should be added their because it's too early to add them in ssb4 even if splatoon was a success it's like adding the new girl from fire emblem in ssb4 also why we would add a character that has 99% chance on being playable in smash 5 in smash 4 we should give a chance for older character to be added like king k. Rool, Geno, Isaac and others

Nomination
Nester (Nintendo power mascot/nester funky bowling) x5
Donkey kong jr. X5

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Inkling

Chance: 10%
Those mii costumes

Want: 50%
There's other characters I want in more.

Predictions: Ganon 3%

Nominations: Sami X5.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Inkling <Splatoon> as a DLC character:
Chance: 15% - On one hand, Splatoon is doing gangbusters right now, which might prompt the team to do the Inklings as a character for possible cross-promotion. On the other hand, why have the Splatoon costumes for the Mii Fighters if you were gonna add actual Splatoon characters anyway? It just seems like it'd be redundant, on top of it potentially be hard to differentiate between a Mii with an Inkling costume and the real deals in a battle.
Want: 45% - I do have several characters to hope for before the Inklings, but I can't say i'm against them. They seem like they'd be pretty interesting characters to have.

Predictions:
Beast Ganon <Zelda> as a DLC character: 20% Chance, 20% Want

Nominations:
Alex <Eternal Darkness> as a DLC character: x1
Slime <Dragon Quest> as a DLC character: x3
Black Mage <Final Fantasy> as a DLC character: x1

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
INKLINGS:
CHANCE: 15%

I was surprised that I had given then a low score last time as well. The recent events have only reaffirmed what I thought of their chances. The Inkling Mii costumes and the Inkling Girl trophy aren't really helping their case. They're definitely not Pre-ballot DLC any more, and I don't really expect post-ballot DLC, to be honest. They are a lock for Smash 5 though, that's for sure.

WANT: 80%
I still like them as much as as I did last time, if not more. Splatoon x Ika Musume was fully embraced by Nintendo, and I found myself in pure bliss, for it's not often that a cross-media fan pairing gets an official nod, and Japan is getting Ika Musume DLC, to boot. These are all weird reasons that have little to do with actual Inklings, but I digress.

BEAST GANON PREDICTION: 16%
Ganondorf's Final Smash is an obstacle.

ASHLEY × 5

:231:

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
Inklings (Splatoon)
Chance:50% >> 35%
Want:15% >> 20%

Beast Ganon prediction:17%

Noms: Dark Matter x5

Inkling
chance 5%
I also feel that all of the stuff they already have is pretty much all they will get (and its already quite a bit). Its obvious they arent pre-ballot. Their hug ballot support is the only thing saving them.

Want 100%
Splatoon is great. The characters are great. And guess what they have moveset potential. So Wonderful 101 all over again

prediction 8.9%

noms agnes Oblige 5

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Inglinks
Chance 16%
Like everyone said: It's still new. Sure it's some new and popular IP and stuff, and this is a perfect chance to cross-promote the 2 currently-most-popular games. But as Sakurai said, he don't want to use this game as an advertising tool. But you know, it's Sakurai. He might be lying about that.

Also my 2 cents on the Mii Costumes and trophies: I can see many people saying the Mii costume and trophies as arguments of stuff, those are explainable:
  • The trophies, are given out as a recognition of the character, like Mewtwo and Lucas trophies. These can also serve as a "backup" (along with Ness's Lucas Customs) in case the DLC failed. For Inkling's case: Since they decided to just put a trophy here and no real mention for consideration. This can easily show that the developers have no plans of making them as fighters, at least not pre-ballot. If they are planned, they could have done something like Ryu's case: Add some other elements as trophies, add (or announce) stage, and at least say something about if the said character is planned or not.
  • The Mii Costumes, on the other hand, is made so that you can play as a character/ or play wearing one's costume. The latter, if the character is not already a playable character, is basically the former. That said, the developers plans not to make the character a fighter. At least not this time.
Want 0%
Too new argument aside, I have no feels for such character. Before the game is really out, I am wondering why people fully believe that the game must be good, or that the IP will last very long. If anything, I think this franchise is overrated. Now that the game is out, haven't got a chance to try (yeah bias but that's basically what the want score is for right?), but the current game doesn't make me feel like it's gonna last too long. Yeah maybe the whole Wii U lifespan. But not quite more.

Prediction:

Beast Ganon 10%
Dunno, there must be a problem about the Final Smash anyway.

Nomination:
Slippy Toad x5

TallT

Smash Apprentice
Inklings

Chance: 10%
I see the costumes and trophy as Sakurai acknowledging the Inklings and that this is all the representation they will receive.

Want: 5%

I feel like the Inklings are still too new and should wait until Smash 5 to be playable characters. They would not be the worst additions to the roster, but I would like to see older Nintendo characters that have been around for years get in first. The fact that their game came out after Smash 4 had already launched further adds to my desire to see them held off until Smash 5.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Inkling Chance:
20%
The more I think about the Splatoon content we're getting for DLC, the more I think they are unlikely. This really seems like a newcomer that would be better saved for a future Smash.

Nominations:
x5 All Veterans Return

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Inklings? Hmmm...

Chance: 20%
Do the Mii skins mean anything? I feel they were dlc to support them without being sure if they should add them as actual characters or not. So I feel they sorta already have some representation in smash already. =/

In the nintendo direct Sakurai said something like "Now virtua fighter now has representation in smash" when showing off the skins. Or it could have been another skin he was showing off but I seriously think he is counting them as characters. Which is why I gave the inklings a low chance.

Want: 0
like I was saying with the skins. They look pretty legit and I really like them. Its a shame they will never see for glory tho. With that on top of the fact that they are too new I just dont really want them. Not saying I hate them that is far from the truth. They have some of the best designs I have ever seen. I just feel they need more time under their belt before they should be let into smash. If it wasn't for time want would have been 60%

Because this is oddly enough a thing for some reason ill go ahead and jump on this as well. Im curious to see where this is going.
x5 rerate Dixie Kong

Laniv

Smash Champion
Inklings (again):

Chance: 35%
If not this game, then the next. (Most likely the next.)

I'm just gonna leave this here:

Predictions for Ganon: 5% Chance, 40% Want

Nominate Homecoming Hijinx x 5

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Inklings
Chance: Abstain.
It's hard to tell what their chance is when we don't know what the Splatoon content we got in this update is for. Is it consolation for no Inklings as DLC? Is it just promotion for Splatoon? I wish Sakurai had elaborated on why he added this content like he did with the Virtua Fighter and Tekken costumes.
As I don't know whether or not Inklings are considered out of the picture by Sakurai and I am a fan, I can't give them a proper rating today.

Want: 100%. They've been around a little over a year and I already see them as one of the best candidates for Smash Bros. They have everything they could ever need, extremely popular and are getting a lot of support, from an extremely fresh and interesting game so they have a lot of potential, their game was a success and Nintendo is promoting it (and the Inklings) hard.

---
Nominations:
Excitebike x2
Jill Valentine x3

Burruni

Smash Hero
Inklings
Chance: 60%
Never thought they were going to be worked on before the Ballot. That was all-but confirmed by the Miinkling gunner skins and in the trophy.

Nothing of that stops them from being turned into fighters if/when they make a large impact in the ballot. In fact, one could argue that the assets of the outfit could make them easier to get a headstart on programming. With all the kinds of gear in the game, there's a wide variety of ways to make sure the Inkling Character could be differentiated from Miinkling Gunners.

One of few newcomerss I will hard say DESERVE to be in Smash. Them, King K. Rool, Ganon, and Bandana Dee.

Last edited:

Drason

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Coke
Inklings
Chance: 5%
While they may be a great new IP that sold well, probs is that their Mii Costume pretty much killing any hope of the real ones being in Smash 4, better luck in 5
Want: 80%
I freaking love these guys I play Splatoon all the time and wouldn't mind these guys coming back
Nominations:
TalimX5(SoulCalibur)

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Inklings:
Chance: 10 % They have a near identical mii costume and might a bit too fresh.
Want: 40 % I wouldn't be upset at all with them, they'd be pretty unique I'd reckon, but they are not at the top of my wanted characters right now.

Predictions: Ganon 7%
Nominations: Dark Matter x 10

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Inklings

Chance: 50%

Could go either way.

Want: 0%

I honestly loath everything related to Splatoon and I really think this is the most overhyped, overrated Nintendo IP to ever come in to existence (pretty much a rated E version of CoD). Just watching the trailer for the game was a huge turn off for me.

Their going to be in eventually and there's no denying that but hopefully it will be Smash 5 and not Smash 4 DLC.

Prediction
Ganon: 15%

Nomination
Waluigi X5

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Well I missed Gengar. But I have extra nominations so...

Inkling:20%

I doubt they'll make it in as DLC if the trophy and costumes mean anything. They'll probably be in Smash 5.

Want: 75%

Prediction:

Ganon: 13.45%

Nominations:

Lloyd Irving x10

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Inklings -
This is really tough to judge. They are probably the most worthwhile and relevant character that could be added, and they are insanely popular. Splatoon has had commercial and critical success, has its own plethora of frequent DLC, has amiibos, and already has Mii costumes and a trophy in Smash. A lot of new Nintendo IPs end up being niche or cult classics, with no characters really big enough for Smash. Fossil Fighters, The Wonderful 101, Code Name: S.T.E.A.M., etc. Splatoon is the rare one set to stand the test of time, and Inklings are the most recent for-sure Nintendo all-star character.

The big question is will they make it as DLC or the next game?

Since we're only rating DLC here, that's what this chance rating applies to - 20%.

It really just depends on willpower/desire (Sakurai may find the current Splatoon content to suffice), Nintendo pressure (It'd be a great business decision at least, but Iwata and the other honchos don't seem to be too pushy, though they might make a casual suggestion to him), and ballot support (may be too little too late, but they certainly have some).

Want - 100% After playing the game (more than I have Smash in the past month), they're in my top 5 most wanted characters.. I also think they're about as much of the biggest newcomer lock for the next Smash game as Little Mac was, even if it's (hopefully) just an NX port of 4 that adds a handful of characters.

predict - Beast Ganon 3%

nominate - Paper Mario x5

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Inkling
Chance: 15%
While it's not a strict rule, it's easier to skip a character that has a MiiCostume already.

I'm a fan.
And a kid. And a squid.

Azure Ganondorf: 15.5%

Nabbit x5

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Chance: 80 I really hate people who say they are "decomfirmed" or "unlikely" just because of the costumes, Unless Nintendo doesn't want money I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be in. And also: Smash 5 won't happen for another 5-6 years if not maybe it won't ever be made, I'm not waiting that long just to play as a character who deserves to be in already.

Want: 100 This character is really the only DLC one I want ATM and nothing more.

Last edited:

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Say, I have two characters.

One of them has a Mii costume already, the other has not.
I'd pick the one without, since the other is already playable in some form.
Except a Mii costume for Inklings is just boring compared to an actual character: They don't even change your effects to Ink so... Character or I'm going to be severly disapointed. ...And no: Don't give me Geno or Klonoa: I want someone actually worthy of being in Smash.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Chance: 70% While my hopes for them preballot have fallen significantly, I do believe that their popularity still keeps them in the running. Their biggest contenders have tons of support, but Splatoon has been rather popular. So much so that it will probably warrant another game, so this will be a franchise that is around for a bit. For that reason, I don't believe it's a mistake to add them. Also their costumes don't lower their chances for me, because the inklings would play completely different than Mii Fighters.

Want: 100% I absolutely love Splatoon and think it was a nice change of pace from the usual shooters I play. They are currently the only character that I want for Smash DLC.

Last edited:

Fire_Voyager

Smash Journeyman
Inklings
Chances: when a Link Mii costume represent your chance to get it, you are in trouble... 18%
Want: I don't want to buy a costume... I want to splat some fools...95% maybe I have to wait for the NeXt Smash

Ganon Hamon
Pred: 12%

Noms:
Bub/Bob x5

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Inkling

The series is brand new, but it is heavly promoted by Nintendo. It is true that the Inklings have receaved a Mii costume, not one but two, differs from the male and female inkling, as well as a Squid Hat. It has already got a great offer on Nintendo E-Shop that could promote even more buyers for the game. When it comes to the character designs themselves, they would fit Smash perfectly, and with a heavy request section since the Ballot, Inklings are to be aware of.

+ Nintendo Promotion
+ High Requested for the Ballot
- Mii Costumes and a Hat
? Already sink in price for the game, could mean they want to boost up the market, or that it did not sell well on their own that they give it a firm second chance.

Want: 95%
I like the Mii Costume alone, but it does not fully bring out the Inklings to justice this way, there are so much move potential for these characters that Smash could do justice for. Honestly, I just bought Splatoon today, 22 of June, and so far, I have enjoy'd the game. I wanted Inklings for Sm4sh even before the Ballot and the games release, and after playing Splatoon, I were amazed over the inovative and design this game brings, it is so fun.

Ganon: 08.37%

(first time I join this, so I give my nominations now)

Doshin the Giant x 3
Black Shadow x2

Mario123311

Smash Ace
NeXt Smash
...Which I still am doubting will happen, They put so much love into this title so honestly: I say they need to put her in now. If they don't well... I'm going to go stomp around somewhere I guess. ((Same thing I did when Pac-Man didn't make it into Brawl... Pac-Man World was important you guys.))

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Chance: 80 I really hate people who say they are "decomfirmed" or "unlikely" just because of the costumes, Unless Nintendo doesn't want money I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be in. And also: Smash 5 won't happen for another 5-6 years if not maybe it won't ever be made, I'm not waiting that long just to play as a character who deserves to be in already.
"Unless Nintendo doesn't want money I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be in".
OMG! RIDLEY, K.ROOL! ISAAC! SHANTAE! BANDANA DEE! GOKU CONFIRMED!
A lot of characters would make money, that's not an argument at all.

"I really hate people who say they are "decomfirmed" or "unlikely" just because of the costumes".
If they add costumes and a trophy AS DLC, instead of just waiting and add the characters instead, Inklings are having a trouble.

"Smash 5 won't happen for another 5-6 years if not maybe it won't ever be made, I'm not waiting that long just to play as a character who deserves to be in already".
LOL, yeah, sure, they will totally stop making Smash, one of their more succesful series.
And also... how is this relevant to the chances score? This is like a confirmation that your score is biased.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Inklings
Chance: 35%
Nintendo has a lot of faith in this IP. Getting both Mii Fighter costumes and a trophy. The question is if Sakuari wants to go the extra mile and make them a fighter. I think it could go either way. Splatoon already has a huge fanbase, so the desire for them is there, but there's also the fact that it's not even a year old yet. Would Nintendo want to add them to promote Splatoon, or will they wait until Smash 5? I think the ballot is pretty much the only way they're going to get in.

Want: 95%
Splatoon was my most hyped game for the year, and it delivered. The game is downright fun, so seeing the Inkling in Smash would be something I absolutely want to see. They already fit well in the Nintendo universe, and I can tell this will more than likely get a sequel at some point. I personally believe Inklings have earned their spot in Super Smash Bros.

If they get in, this song BETTER be included!

Nomination:
Rayman X5

Top Bottom