• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Chance: 55%
He's a character that has risen quite a bit since the ballot was revealed. Now that popularity has more of an influence, he's seen as one of the more likely picks and it's not hard to see why. He's from a series that's beloved, he has a lot of potential in terms of his moveset, and he's a very popular character in the west, only losing out to King K. Rool (most of the time, he won over at Reddit). Additionally, his removal as an AT could be a blessing in disguise as at best, Sakurai removed him for consideration for DLC, at worst, he's not in the same trap characters like Ridley and Ghirahim could be. So he does have a good set of merits.

On the other hand, his popularity is almost completely western based as not many Japanese fans support him and his series has fallen on hard times lately, so he could be overlooked for those reasons. Despite that, I do see some potential in him and I think he does have a good chance to be playable in the game.

Want: 60%
More ambivalent on this one as I haven't played Golden Sun yet, but from what I've seen, he would be an interesting character.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Isaac
Chance: 60% - I feel he has a good chance. I have no idea how well he's doing on the Smash ballot, but he did finish second on a recently released reddit poll that drew 13,000 votes. (Ironically losing to Banjo Kazooie though). I'm sure most people who voted on that poll also voted on the ballot. It's worth noting that Isaac probably has one of the most unique move set potential of the candidates. Being able to control earth is something that hasn't really been done in Smash before.

Want: 90% - Among Golden Sun games, I only played Dark Dawn and loved it. Although Isaac's role was minimal in that game, I still think that the series still has no playable representive in SSB

Bandanna Dee prediction: 34%

Nominations: Henry Flemming x10

DAY OVER
PLEASE WAIT WHILE I CALCULATE THE RESULTS

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Great! Day 3 is still on! Almost missed rating Isaac on this thread!

Chance: 75%
I know I am pegging it high but I believe so because:

Why he has good chances

+ He is pretty popular, especially outside Japan
+ Potential for a very diverse moveset using Earth psynergy (i.e summoning rocks, boulders, spires, causing earthquakes, huge spectral swords, etc.)
+ Utility psynergy (Move) as well as other elements using Djinn
+ Djinns can add some diversity to his moves as well as a strategic gameplay. A simple example:
Setting Djinn strengthens him, weakens his Final Smash or putting them on standby weakens him, but boosts his Final Smash.
+ 4th game possibly being made
+ Content was technically increased from Brawl with one additional soundtrack, AT suspiciously missing
+ VERY VERY different from Robin. Just because both have a sword and some magic type moves, doesn't make them similar. His Earth based gameplay can be hugely different from Robin's
+ Doesn't even need to use a sword
+ Currently 2nd most popular Nintendo newcomer candidate (after K. Rool)
+ Part of a famous Nintendo franchise yet to have any representation
+ Had a game after Brawl

Why his chances are not 100%

- Popularity has declined more in Japan
- Latest game, although good, got a lukewarm response
- Future of series is hanging
- Not well known to casuals (Nintendo loves 'em)
- Sword user, uninformed ignorant masses tend to gloss over him due to that sole fact alone where he does not need to use it, AT ALL
- Was in the 3rd game but not playable

Want:

...... IT'S OVER 9000!!!!

Just give me Isaac in Smash already Nintendo!

Edit: Hey @ colder_than_ice colder_than_ice ! Consider my entry!!!! I was just a minute late >.<

Forgot nomination: Ryu Hayabusa x 1
Zero x 1
Roy x 3 (want to see people's reactions)

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Soooo.... when are we gonna rate Ryu and Roy? :rotfl:
Soon enough. They are most likely coming after Lucas anyway, so we have plenty of time to rate them.

I can't wait to see Ryu jump to the top of the nominations list. :laugh:

:231:

Last edited:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
@ LasermasterA LasermasterA I got your post just in time.

ISAAC
CHANCE: 54.90%
WANT: 67.20%
Isaac actually performed very well and even beat Banjo-Kazooie in want despite getting one less 100% want rating.
Next up we're rating Bandanna Dee. Are we finally going to see a are we finally going to see a spear user in Smash? Please rate Bandanna Dee in chance and want. Also please predict Captain Toad's rating tomorrow.

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Bandana Dee

Chance: Not gonna beat around the bush, I know a lot of people are skeptical of him because they think he's just a waddle dee with a hat, or that Kirby doesn't need three reps (could point out some series that also count as "over represented," but in the end it's all a matter of opinion). However, he's honestly got the best chance out of any Kirby characters, and his recent common appearances has proven that he's no mere waddle dee, just as how Pikachu is no mere Pikachu (that makes sense, right?). A lot of people support him, a lot don't tend to care for him, but I'd say he's got a pretty decent shot. 65%

Want: He's probably the newcomer I want the most, and he'd introduce spear game play to Smash, and I think he's definitely proven his worth. Heck, 100%.

Captain Toad: He's in a similar boat to Bandana Dee I suppose... 45%

X4 Ice Climbers
X1 Roy/Ryu Leak

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
@ Kalimdori Kalimdori wins the extra nominations for having the closet Isaac prediction.

Bandanna Dee Chance: 70%

If we get a Kirby representative as DLC there is no doubt in my mind that it will be Bandanna Dee. Only question is... will we get a Kirby representative? I give that a 70% chance of happening, so that's what I'll give Dee.

Bandanna isn't going to win the Smash Bros ballot, but he'll probably get at least a large enough chunk of votes to be noticed. Kirby is a thriving franchise right now, and Bandanna Dee's played a major role in all of the major Kirby games, he's even started to surpass Metaknight and/or Dedede in the most recent titles. So I'd be willing to claim that he's pretty damn important to the Kirby franchise, more then enough to warrant a spot on the Smash roster. He's got plenty of moveset potential, people like to try to argue against him by saying "He's only got a spear, he's not unique" but the very fact that he has a spear DOES make him unique. Fighting with a spear is completely different then fighting with, say, as sword (*Cough* Marth *Cough* Only has a sword *Cough* Still unique) A spear revolves around keeping your enemy away from you, killing them before they can reach you. Kind of like a more extreme version of Marth's tipper mechanic. Plus he'd probably be one of the lightest characters, he'd be the perfect glass cannon for Smash.

Biggest thing in Dee's way is popularity. He's got every other reason to be in the game, he's from an EXTREMELY popular franchise, he's important to said franchise, his franchise could do with another representative, and unlike most other possible DLC characters, he was created by the guy making the DLC fighters.

Want: 95%

There are a few characters that I want more then Bandanna Dee, which keeps him from a perfect 100, but I'd love to see the little guy get into Smash. I've played Kirby games since I was a child, and I'm in full support of getting another Kirby character into the game.

Plus look at the little guy! He's adorable!

Predictions: Captain Toad: 35%
People will try to use the fact that he's from the Mario series against him, even though it's probably the biggest thing in his favor.

Noms: Rayman x10

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Chances for Bandana Dee: let's give it 10% because, although it's generic, it's a Kirby character and Kirby happens to be Sakurai's series.
Want: 0%. Whatever.

And I vote for Shantae x5.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Bandana Dee: 40%

Positives:

++Somewhat popular request
++Got a major starring role recently
+ Known worldwide
+ Has creator support
+ Has become a big face in the Kirby series recently and shows no signs of stopping
+ Unique moveset potential
+ Unique combination of stats
+ Support comes from around the world.

Negatives:
---Sakurai seems to favor older Kirby content
- Low on the totem poll in fan priorities
- Potentially seen as generic
- Kirby may not need four characters

Bandana Dee has a better shot than most imo.

Want: 90%

Dee little guy is my favorite Kirby character.

Prediction Captain Toad: 36%

I really don't know if people think he's ready for adventure.

Phoenix Wright x 3
Wolf x 1:wolf:
Snake x 1:snake:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Bandana Dee

Chance: 65%
He's definitely the most likely newcomer for the Kirby series. Also very interesting that DDD's side-B got changed to Gordos only (**** THAT ******* EVERY TIME I FIGHT HIM! #@%@#$!), so as not to introduce confusion if a generic and non-generic Dee show up at the same time... And Sakuraibias, which this game is chock full of. He's also been in recent games, and Japan LOVES the Kirby series. Lots are pointing to his favor. And Sakuraibias. Lots of that too.
Against him - Kirby may not need a fourth character. He was alone through Melee, then was blessed with TWO newcomers in the last game. Also, despite having a bandana, he is a bit generic. Everyone's complaining about having 'too many anime swordsmen;' wouldn't 'too many red/pink ball-shaped characters' also fit? He doesn't really have too much on the negative side, though, so I'll give it above a coin flip.
Want: 0%
No, thank you. I do not like Kirby, I don't like Meta Knight, I don't like Dedede, and I don't like Dee. I feel like Brawl was almost a shrine to Kirby, just as SSB4 is shaping up to be a shrine to Kid Icarus, but there is still so much almost ported over for SSB4, e.g. Smash Run. I'd like to see some of my favorite series get some love (Come on, 5 characters for Zelda and only 3 unique Final smashes? One unifying victory theme? Link and Tink share a crowd chant?!) before the golden children get favored even more. And if I wanted a character who fights with a long weapon, I'd just have Ridley use his tail - he also could get a nice air game... Bandana Dee is so far down on my list right now, and the last thing I want is ANOTHER child of Sakurai's to come in before any villains get the invite.
Now if Wolf, Ridley, and K.Rool all were in, by all means put him in, I'd take anyone after those three.
Prediction: Captain Toad
Chance: 42.5%, Want: 62.5%

Nominations:
I notice that the DLC promotions concept is still there despite opening the floodgates - if we want to keep it there, I'll give it my 5 noms to try to push it up and get it voted on. Otherwise, I'll give them to costumes.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Bandanna Waddle Dee

Chance-45%
I don't see his chances being all that great. Given the fact that he is a reasonably popular character in a series that continues to gain popularity. I'm still on the fence whether or not the Kirby series actually needs another rep. Especially one that would stand on the same level as Kirby, DDD and MK compared to other characters in Smash. Bandanna Dee just seems bland in comparison to those characters. Personally I don't see him being anything more than an assist trophy or stage hazard character in the future. With that said, he would bring something different to the table being a spear user and let's not forget that he is indeed Sakurai's character. Obviously he is well aware of his existence and is more than likely well aware of people's interest in him to be included as a playable character so I give him a chance that is just slightly less than 50/50.

Want-5%
I can say that I am quite content with the three reps we have for the Kirby franchise. I mean, I guess if we really do need a fourth rep he could work as the fourth, but having a character that is basically a slightly modified standard enemy within the game doesn't really suit my expectations for dlc. His role within the games is more significant than regular Waddle Dees, but to me he's still just a Waddle Dee, but with a Bandanna, although having a spear user in the game could be interesting, and could bring something different to the game. I'm not fully against it but if he became dlc I wouldn't be too excited about his inclusion as there are many more candidates I'd personally would rather be included, especially for dlc. I may sound harsh but that's my honest opinion.

Prediction:
Captain Toad-40%

Nominations:
Impa x3
Wolf Link & Midna x2

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Bandanna Dee

Chances: I'll rate him at 42%.
+Bandanna Dee could be an interesting choice for a Kirby newcomer, since he holds a large amount of potential in his spear-based moveset, most of which can easily be transferred from Kirby's Adventure Wii/Return to Dream Land and Triple Deluxe.
+You could argue that he represents both the Kirby series' past and future, past in that Waddle Dees have been on of the most memorable enemies, the character of 'Bandanna Dee' that has existed since Kirby Super Star and can easily show off the current face of the Kirby series through some of the newer Copy Abilities like Spear.
+Simple to make as a character, resize and retexture the Waddle Dee model, make a spear and bandanna object and attach them to Bandanna Dee, moveset, bam.

-He'll need a hefty amount of votes from the Ballot to warrant a spot in the roster, unless they planned for him outside the Ballot like with Ryu and Roy.
-While he'd be a fun addition, Bandanna Dee is certainly not an essential addition that needs to be added for the sake of the series like King K. Rool to the Donkey Kong series, given that Kirby has got its essentials already in :4kirby::4dedede:&:4metaknight:

Wants: I'd be happy with any DLC newcomer. Bandanna Dee is a character I would like to see, but I wouldn't mind waiting until the next Smash to see him get an active playable role. So I'll just say 50% as my neutral stance.

Nominations: Reimu Hakurei X2 (For those not in the know, Reimu is the main character of the Touhou games - A bullet hell shooter)
Roy X3

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Bandana Dee

Chance: 25%

+ He first appeared as a computer-controlled opponent in one of several mini-games in Kirby Super Star, a Sakurai-developed game...
-- ...but he wasn't equipped with his signature spear until his next major appearance in Kirby's Return to Dream Land, which Sakurai had no involvement with whatsoever.
+ Sakurai may have his biases as seen with the lack of stages based on any Kirby game beyond Super Star, but there have been content from non-Sakurai Kirby games featured in Brawl and Smash 4 including certain music tracks. Even Kirby's Final Smash originated from Return to Dreamland.
+ At first glance, he may seem like a minor character who has only appeared in a select few Kirby games including more recent entries such as Triple Deluxe and Rainbow Curse, but he is more important that you might realize; He's a Waddle Dee, a commonly recurring enemy, the Goomba of the Kirby series, except he's armed and dangerous. If there ever exists a fourth Kirby franchise representative, Bandana Dee is a top contender because of this.
-- The spear would certainly make him unique, but that doesn't mean Sakurai sees moveset potential in him. Also, considering the fact that he played a minor role in only one Sakurai-developed Kirby game, Sakurai's own bias likely won't help the poor Dee much in this situation.

I think Sakurai's bias greatly harms his chances, but his inclusion is far from impossible.

Want: 90%

As I stated earlier, a spear wielder in Smash Bros. would make a unique addition to the roster.

Prediction: Captain Toad - 20%

Having a recent game of his own will likely help his chance ratings, but some will question any sort of Toad's moveset potential.

Nomination

Snake x5

Last edited by a moderator:

themasterofcircuits

Smash Journeyman
NNID
professorfargo
Since I'm behind I think I'll catch up:

King K Rool
Chance:40%
Want:10%
I think that K Rool would be an okay addition to the roster, but with so many other options to go with there really isn't a reason for me to root for him, but if he does make it in, I'm alright with it.
The only reason I give him such a low score is that I'm not certain if he is owned by Rare or not. If he is, that significantly hinders his chances. Though he has a huge fan outcry, which is why his score is fairly high.

Banjo & Kazooie
Chance:20%
Want:40%
Banjo & Kazooie would be really fun to play as, and even if they aren't even on my top 10 list of smash DLC characters, that doesn't mean I'm not supporting them.
Again, the whole "Rare owns them" is still here, but I heard that Microsoft does want them in smash, so who knows?

Isaac
Chance:50%
Want:30%
Fans have wanted Isaac in smash since Melee days, so he has a pretty big fanbase. Though I've never played Golden Sun, if he got in smash that may make me want to try it out.
I really don't see a reason why he wouldn't be added.

Bandanna Dee:
Chance: 20%
Bandanna Dee has a decent amount of people that want him in, but there are already 3 Kirby reps, and I'm prettu sure Sakurai wouldn't want his own franchise overrepresented. Plus, there are so many better characters they could put in over him.

Nominations:
3x Professor Layton
2x Phoenix Wright

TallT

Smash Apprentice
Bandana Dee

Chance: 23%

Want: 45%

Captain Toad chance prediction: 30%

Nominate: Dixie Kong x5

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Since I'm behind I think I'll catch up:

King K Rool
Chance:40%
I think that K Rool would be an okay addition to the roster, but with so many other options to go with there really isn't a reason for me to root for him, but if he does make it in, I'm alright with it.
The only reason I give him such a low score is that I'm not certain if he is owned by Rare or not. If he is, that significantly hinders his chances. Though he has a huge fan outcry, which is why his score is fairly high.
To clarify, K.Rool, the Kremlings and all of Donkey Kong Country is owned solely by Nintendo.

Rare owns no part of them.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Ahhh, Bandanna Dee. Somehow, you were the most controversial character of the original Rate Their Chances series.

I perceive the chances of a Kirby newcomer being somewhat low, but he is hands-down the most obvious candidate. The remaining DLC newcomers will probably be big crowd pleasers and/or represent eras of Nintendo's history while having unique movesets. I don't know how much a crowd pleaser he is. I won't argue about his moveset potential. A spear is definitely distinct and cool and all, but there are characters who have a lot more star power and a lot more creative gimmick potential or both, while representing series that are more in need.

Chances - 20%

I actually like him and his series a lot, but he isn't my cup of tea for Smash.
Want - 5%

Nominations -
Paper Mario x3
Solo Ice Climbers x2 (When the Ice Climbers get rated, I request you rate them only coming back as we know them - a duo - this nomination is a distinct concept and I want to compare the two scores without overlap of ideas).

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
-Bandana Dee:

Chances: 65%

Popular
Main Character
Relevant
Unique
Represents the new Kirby games
His model would not be that hard to make
He and normal Waddle Dees lack trophies for no reason, suspicious
Adorable

Want: 100%

-Nominations: Magolor X5

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Bandana Dee

Chance: 40%

Simply put; Bandana Dee is a big Kirby character, he has a decent amount of fan demand behind him, his basic model could easily be ported from the Brawl files(would need tweaking naturally to include his famous bandana and spear combo) and Kirby didn't get a character this game so far.

That said, he's not as famous as some characters with the casuals, and he's not as high in the ballot polls as the previous trio of rate their chancers.

This will come down to whether Sakurai actual has a bias for older Kirby games, aka the ones he worked on, and whether he see's the bandana'd one as important enough to get over that bias(if he has it). Personally I think he has a decent chance,

One of my most wanted, Bandana Dee is my joint favourite Kirby character with Dedede.

That said, I kind of wouldn't want to see him without...

Captain Toad (prediction): 40%
(I think both royal guards of generic species wearing kickass headwear should come around the same time personally)
I feel many will complain another Mario character would be a terrible idea, ignoring completely that Mario characters will sell better than almost any other series characters. Mario IS money.

Also there's that 'Can't jump' thing that is Captain Toad's '2Big'. I'm expecting a lot of that tomorrow.

Nominations:
Impa X 5

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
First of all, I need to address something. A lot of the ratings so far tonight have mentioned "character reps". There seems to be this underlying idea that a series needs to be at a certain level to "earn" the right to have another character in Smash. There's all this talk of under- or over-representation, how some series "deserve" another character while others are "over-repped". While it looks like it makes sense on the surface...that doesn't seem to be how the developers think at all. They aren't concerned with what amounts to a...*ahem*...sword-measuring contest between franchises. They seem to care first and foremost about what a character would bring to the roster, what new and interesting things they could do, and how well they'd belong in a celebration of all things Nintendo.

Which brings us to the character at hand.

--

Bandana Dee

Chance: 38.5%
Bandana Dee is in an interesting position. He's technically been around since Kirby Super Star, but he's only come into his own in the last few years, beginning with his defining role as King Dedede's right hand man in part of Super Star's remake. He has relevance in spades, having racked up more major roles since 2008 than Meta Knight has, and can easily be seen as Main Character #4 of the series. In addition, being a master spearfighter would inherently lend a level of uniqueness to a roster that has no spear or lance users.

Unusually enough, Bandana Dee's biggest problem right now...might be the Smash fanbase. There's a lot of misinformation regarding him, as I've seen quite a few people ask what the hell is so interesting about a Waddle Dee that someone stuck a blue bandana on to. There's back-and-forth about whether Kirby "deserves" a fourth character, which as far as I can tell is irrelevant to the Smash developers. I've seen some call "Sakurai bias" and claim he wouldn't get in anyway since the newer Kirby games have been ignored so far...even though that may have only been because doing so let Sakurai skip the need to get the rights to those elements. Working only with the Kirby properties he developed spared his crew some time and red tape during what had to be a stressful process...but it'd be less of a problem to ask to use newer stuff now that there's less to get done.

Even despite that, though, I feel like he has a pretty decent chance. He doesn't carry the risk of a character from a new franchise or the complications of a third party character, and if enough fan support is there, I don't see Sakurai and the gang vetoing him like they might some others.

Want: 65%
The more unique characters, the better, and I'd welcome Smash's first spear user. Something still has me concerned, though. The spear can only do so much, and if it's the only thing he has access to, his moveset could end up...kind of bland. How much further it could be expanded would depend on if it still felt true to character, and we've already seen not feeling true to character be a big problem before. If Bandana Dee was given access to other weapons associated with Waddle Dees, though--parasols, Beam wands, et cetera--I'd be sold.

Captain Toad Prediction: 30.26%
He could be the next big Mario character...but do the fans want a third Mario newcomer? And is he important enough yet?

Nominations: Krystal x5

And a word to the wise: Those who don't understand their history are doomed to repeat it.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
BANDANA DEE:
CHANCE: 45%
WANT: 100%

Bandana Dee is currently the 4th most prominent character in thr Kirby franchise, which makes him the obvious next-in-line. Although he was created by Sakurai for the Megaton Punch in Kirby Super Star, his real rise to prominence was Return to Dream Land. Sakurai's obvious bias towards pre-Kirby Air Ride games is the big problem here, I believe, as Bandana Dee didn't even get a trophy.

As for want, I absolutely love the little guy and his support group here.

CAPT. TOAD PREDICTION: 28%

NOMINATIONS:

Roy x 3
Paper Mario x 2

:231:

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Darn, I missed the Isaac vote. Just been too busy lately. Like I did before, I'm going to do my Isaac vote just because I want to, but I'll put it in the spoiler. Then I'll assess Bandana Dee.

Here's my picture of the categories I'll use for assessing characters again...
These points are for making a best estimate of their chances, although the weight of each category is still unknown at this time. Other unforeseen factors could keep the character from being added. I'll likely post this at the start of all my assessments.

Isaac

Popularity
Isaac is a pretty darn popular guy. He's not K. Rool status but he's probably next in line. Most other newcomers are competing for third most popular after Isaac and Rool. I suppose he's always had fans, but it is a bit of a surprise that he's as popular as he is.

Importance
Isaac is the first major protagonist in a well liked series. He's the clear representative for Golden Sun by most accounts due to this. Same reason why Marth is the clear representative of Fire Emblem. His games didn't appear to make a huge impact on Nintendo's history, but they were gems and a unique example of Nintendo tackling a fantasy RPG themselves. Isaac is the face of a unique and well liked series in any case and perhaps that's enough to get him notice.

Uniqueness
Issac's uniqueness is in part due to his unique game. The characters in the game use magic spells and djinn to battle elementally. Isaac had a good mix of powers he could learn, being diverse among other diverse characters. His moveset could really be like few things we've seen. Robin is probably the easiest comparison to make, but Isaac's magic just feels different due in part to the universe from which he hails. And even if he played fairly similar to Robin in terms of how he'd balance his physical attacks and magic, that would still make him quite unique.

Relevance
It's been a while since Golden Sun and it's sequel. Admittedly, I'm not sure if he returned in the most recent Golden Sun game since I never played it. If memory serves however, I feel like I heard the recent Golden Sun wasn't as popular as the two originals. Either way, it feels like Isaac is wanting in relevancy. Perhaps, like Rool, recent VC titles may have given him new life. I've not checked on what the latest happenings are for Golden Sun.

Representation
If you believe Golden Sun should have representation in Smash, you probably want Isaac in the game. Fact is that Golden Sun simply doesn't have any representation. Once Isaac was an assist trophy and repped his series that way. With the AT scrapped though, people are begging for Isaac to return in a much bigger role. The theory could be "it happened to Mac", and with Mac, Isaac was one of the few ATs people believed could and should be playable. So, yes... the first sentence of this paragraph says it all.

Limitations
Like Rool, Isaac has no real limitations. He's Nintendo owned and has been freed from AT status. There may be little incentive from Nintendo to add him however if they believe his series is dormant for the foreseeable future. Relevancy hurts Isaac a bit more than Rool probably since Rool's franchise is still kicking even if he's not participating. There's also the argument that the roster is getting crowded with fantasy sword users, but Isaac isn't from FE and he brings so much more than a blade to the game.

Final Assessment

Chance: 60%

For his popularity, I see his odds as being a bit less than other characters that don't quite have his following because of relevancy issues. Same could be said of Rool, but I feel his popularity is just too difficult to ignore. These are still high odds. Probably still top 5 in chance for any newcomer.

Want: 70%

I really enjoyed Golden Sun back in the day and I fondly remember Isaac and the other interesting characters. I also would love to see some of his powerful spells in glorious HD. He isn't my biggest want however, but I'm hoping for him to get in the roster at some point hopefully. More than that, I think I'd like to see his franchise get rebooted. I really should play that latest one so I can at least experience it.

Bandana Dee

Popularity
Well, I'm not sure. He seems to have a vocal following here on Smashboards but I don't feel like I see him getting a noticeable amount of support in other places as much. I'm genuinely not sure about Bandana Dee. For now I'd say Bandana Dee is at least a top 10 most wanted newcomer, and most certainly is if you remove third party characters from the conversation.

Importance
This is an interesting situation. The Kirby series basically has three big names - Kirby, King Dedede, and Meta Knight. They're like the Triforce of Kirby or something. And like Zelda everyone else feels like a "satellite character" or a popular character that just makes a single appearance for the most part. Bandana Dee is unique in that he's been in multiple Kirby games, but still feels a bit minor. I kind of think of him as "Impa meets Toad", lol. Like Toad, he feels like the one member of his "species" that the games decided would be special and occasionally is "player 3 or 4". He feels more competent than Toad though and his repeated appearances serving "royalty" reminds me of Impa. Despite this distinction of being a whole tier of importance below the "big three", he still feels like the character of choice if Kirby was to get a fourth rep. There simply isn't too many other characters that come to mind when it comes to a fourth rep for Kirby.

Uniqueness
Bandana Dee uses a spear. That's not something we've seen. That gives him points right away. He even throws it. He would definitely not play like anything we've had in the game to this point. Maybe a bit of Kirby obviously, but maybe a bit of Meta Knight too. Perhaps some Toon Link or Pit thrown in but on a small ball-like frame. Yes, Bandana Dee certainly has potential for being very unique.

Relevance
I assume Bandana Dee is relative relevant. Fact is, I've not played too many Kirby games in recent years so I don't know about his role in them. He does seem to have become more of a thing as the series aged. I played the first two Kirby games and simply tried most of the games since then. Admittedly, Bandana Dee never made much of an impact the few times I saw him. I can't make a good judgement on this but seeing as Bandana Dee's role is so basic in most Kirby games, I don't see why he wouldn't have at least shown up in most recent games.

Representation
As stated in the importance section, Bandana Dee is the favorite for a fourth rep from the Kirby series. It's just a question of whether Kirby should have four reps. It is a big name franchise and if a series like Fire Emblem can get 4, why couldn't Kirby. At the same time, Kirby has its "big three" and every other character is a distant tier below these three in terms of importance to their series. It's like arguing for another Metroid rep that's not named Ridley... is this character really a big enough deal to get added? So... i don't know. Bandana Dee should get in if at least Donkey Kong and Star Fox get more characters first, and some other characters people want too get in as well... imo.

Limitations
Bandana Dee has no limitations. He's from the Kirby series which could be argued as the opposite of a limitation by those that love to say Sakurai has bias for his own creations. Won't argue that it doesn't seem that way. The only real knock on Bandana Dee is his importance. His say in terms of representation feels like it's hanging on the kind of standards and number of DLC characters we'll get.

Final Assessment

Chance: 40%

If Kriby get's another rep, this will be it probably. I'm just not sure if Kirby will. When I see Donkey Kong and Star Fox in particular get at least one more character each, I can believe in Bandana Dee more. I feel if Kirby is going to get 4 reps, DK and Star Fox should too.

Want: 40%

Sadly, I'm just not attached to Bandana Dee. When he's appeared in the Kirby games I played, he didn't leave much of an impression. It's not dislike, but rather indifference. That said, he'd be quite different and I'm way more in support of a true Nintendo rep than I am of any third party... except maybe Snake, but he's got vet status. Also, like I've said a few times. Donkey Kong and Star Fox should get reps before Kirby gets another.

~~~~

Are we predicting how we think the board will vote on Captain Toad's chances and how much we think they'll want him now? If so, I'll enter how I think the board will vote.

Prediction for Captain Toad

Chance: 35%
Want: 40%

~~~~

5 Points to Krystal!

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Bandanned 6 spearpoints
Abstaining on Chance
99% Want

Captain Hattoad
44.4%

Magolor x5

(Expect a longer post from me tommorow, I'll never try to predict Sakurai and I just like Dee because puns he's cute)

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Bandana Dee
Chance - 30% (I think he's the most likely Kirby newcomer, I just feel like we won't be getting another Kirby rep this time around. Kirby, Dedede and Meta Knight are a pretty tight super trio. On the other hand I thought Roy wasn't come back so who knows?)

Want - 0% (I really don't care about this guy.)

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Bandana Dee.

Chance - 25%

I have never rated this guy high. Whilst I completely agree that he is the next most likely Kirby character, I don't really see any further Kirby characters as that likely, and feel that this guy is still a way off of the current three. However, as far as chances for the ballot go - I don't expect many characters from the ballot. Probably 2 or 3 newcomers from it.. And there is no indication to me that Bandana Dee is amongst the top two or three in terms of popularity. He is certainly possible though, and I have no idea how the ballot will turn out in the end.

Want - 0%

I get that this guy could have an interesting enough moveset, and that he is of increasing importance to the Kirby franchise. But that doesn't mean I would have any interest in playing as him whatsoever. I don't have a particular dislike of the character, but I don't want him as a playable character, simultaneously due to there being characters I want in significantly more and because I would have put him as an Assist Trophy all along.

D

Deleted member

The Directory has been updated.

Bandana Dee
Chance:
20%

Now this is a very tricky rating for me to do...
First, the positives. Bandana Dee is the rising star of the Kirby series. He was playable in Returns to Dream Land, was placed alongside Meta Knight and King Dedede for the 20th anniversary game and was featured with them in promotional material, helped Kirby in Kirby Triple Deluxe (where Meta Knight was MIA), and was playable in Rainbow Curse when King Dedede and Meta Knight were both MIA; it's important to note this as Hal seems to be wanting to promote the little guy. Second, he would be a unique fighter with his spear ability; the ability basically writes a majority of his moveset and we never had a spear user before. Third, Bandana Dee has some requests, though he isn't as requested as King K. Rool. Fourth, Kirby is a pretty popular series and is justifiable for another character.
Now, the negatives. First, he's a newcomer, meaning that more time will be spent on creating his moveset. Second, while Bandana Dee is greatly requested, he is still a pretty polarizing newcomer choice; you either love him or hate him to get in the game. Lastly, and the thing that hurts Bandana Dee the most, recent Kirby games barely have any representation in Smash currently. The most the new Kirby games received were some trophies, music, and Kirby gaining a new Final Smash and Bandana Dee himself is MIA. Sakurai seems to favor his older games rather than any of the recent ones...
Ultimately, I do think that Bandana Dee is among the most likely for this game, but he still has obstacles to overcome.

My most wanted newcomer. I've been going around and promoting Bandana Dee on other websites (including For Glory) and I voted for him twice on the ballot.
I love this character and the Kirby series; I would be so happy to see him make the cut as DLC.

Captain Toad Prediction: 18.24%
Maybe he will "JOIN THE BATTLE!" soon?

Screw it. We have a leak, so let's get him to the top.
Nominations: Ryu 5x

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Bandanna Dee chances: abstain
I literally have no idea about how likely this guy is. He's an important figure of the last Kirby games, but Sakurai seems biased towards his Kirby creations, though Kirby's new Final Smash is inspired from newer Kirby games and theses are at least referenced through a few trophies... which none of them are Bandanna Dee :dizzy: (then again King K. Rool and Dixie Kong have a trophy in Melee but Diddy doesn't so I don't think Bandanna Dee being MIA means much)

Bandanna Dee want: 15%
At first I disliked the idea because "Muh, glorified generic enemy!! No thanks!!" but then I tried to become more open-minded about the idea and I now acknowledge Bandanna Dee as a worthy contender. Especially considering I used to think Bowser Jr. was a stupid idea because he was a secondary villain, but the fact he got in with an awesome moveset convinced me that someone's role in a series is not a reason to dismiss the character's playability in Smash as long as the character reasonably stands out. Bandanna Dee could add proper representation for recent Kirby games and the Spear copy ability could translate well into Smash, so why not. I'm not a supporter, but I wouldn't mind him.

This is actually a 60% want score, but cut by 75% because I'm still salty about the idea of DLC characters possibly never getting custom moves >_> hopefully Mewtwo's custom will be added through an update for the release for everyone (maybe alongside Miiverse stage and Tournament mode).

Captain Toad prediction: 37.33%
He's widely seen as the new rising star of the Mario franchise, but I have a feeling people will decrease his chance rating because of either "can't jump" or "too much Mario".

Nominating:
Concept: DLC characters get custom moves (including Mewtwo through patching) x5

Last edited:

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Bandana Dee ()

Chance 35%
even though I do really love him I need to be realistic and say this much He does have a good chance if Mr. Sakurai wants to put another Kirby rep in. but first he has a lot of Big competition but he has some what of a solid chance I have no doubt he might make it only if Mr Sakurai desires it.

Want 100%
I've really wanted him since the announcement of SSB4. Loved his small role in KSSU and I loved his simple yet fun game play in KRtD. That being said I am still hoping that he does get in if there are going to be a lot of DLC Characters

Edit
Nominate Quote x5

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Just gonna make this quick.

Bandanna dee:

Chance: 45%

Hes a perfect fit to fully complete the kirby roster, he's easy to make, he's got a good moveset and a good history. The little guy has potential.

Only reason i see him lowish is because other characters will probably beat him out, and sakurai might not like him given there's barely any post HAL kirby stuff

Cpt. Toad: 35%

Noms: Krystal x5

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Bandanna Dee

Chance: 40% - to be honest I think what might help BDee's chances if he's considered is the fact he pretty much has a moveset foundation to easily work from and design from. Look no further than his Spear moveset from RtDL. Which suspiciously has a move that would work perfectly as a recovery move. Why doI find it suspicious? Well, the move is cool but isn't entirely necessary and isn't particularly the go to move in your arsenal for attack. It seems to serve the purpose of flying out to areas and out of pitfalls but it's not like BDee doesn't have infinite jumps when you think about it... o-o

Want 100%

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Bandana Dee:

Chance: 50%
about the character
The opinions for this character are extremely mixed, but he's still popular enough; though, I think that it's not HAL's goal to transform Bandana Dee into a character. I think that they took a waddle dee to fill a spot (the recurring playable character that has not much influence to the story, but rather is here to allow more players to play), and it happend that lots of people became fan of it. Since the importance of the character comes more from the fandom than from the company, I think that his chances depend only on how much they want to listen to their fans. I assume it won't be an easy decision, because there are many possible reactions and aftermaths (both positive and negative, both in the fandom and in Kirby's brand/future games) that could happen if this character will be confirmed as a new Kirby rep.
Another problem is that the character is only defined by his cap; simply doing an alt with a different cap would vanify his character (unless you call him Waddle Dee, in this case he would be Waddle Dee no matter what cap he's wearing).

about the gameplay
He has some moveset potential, but I feel like he would be a bit too repetitive, as both his normal and his special moves would most likely feature the spear... but there are characters like Cpt Falcon, who only use punches and kicks (very approximately) and are still awesome, so who knows (as opposite, there are characters like Little Mac who are very boring, very personal opinion).
Another thing is that his moveset in Kirby's Return to Dreamland is already similar to a Smash moveset and would be easy to adapt into Smash; This is both positive and negative: the fact that the moveset is already well defined could mean very little chances of be creative with the design of the moveset.

Want: 0%
I'm completely neutral to this character, but since I'm a huge Kirby fan and there are lots of other Kirby characters that I love, I would like if Bandana Dee won't be added in the game, because I think that if he is added to the game, it would make the odds of having another Kirby rep very low.
I want a new Kirby rep, but I would personally be extremely disappointed if the new rep from my favorite series is one of the only characters, probably the very only one, who I don't care of or who I don't like at all.

Prediction: Cpt. Toad: 40%
There are many who want him, but there are factors like the amount of Mario characters already in the game, or the fact that many others don't find him interesting.
Some people compare him with Bandana Dee, but I don't think they are similar at all... it would be a very long post so I won't go deeper with the explanation, but I think that he's not very important as a character (so much that the difference from a Toad and Cpt Toad is very little, it seems that Cpt Toad exists only when a Toad puts the light on his head - the same happens with Toadette), but he represents a gameplay formula and a spin-off game, so he is a lot more worthy (but I would call him simply Toad ingame).

Nominate: Geno 5x

I feel like its weird someone in this thread is outright saying they are purposely lowering their want score.

The dee

Chances. 35% honestly if he was made by sakurai this would a lot higher. Bit it seems that he likes things he made and his owm characters. He is very important and becoming bigger in each game.

Want 65% i really like spear users. but i really dont luke the kirby games with the exception of super star ultra and rtdl. Seriously glad i bought triple delixe used so i could return it.

Noms
2 ridley
2 wonder red
1 viridi

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Bandana Dee's Chances: 20%

Definitely the most likely Kirby character, but I'm kind of doubtful we'll get one. It doesn't help him at all that he didn't become prominent until Return to Dream Land, and Sakurai seems to favor the older Kirby games.

Want: 20%

Kirby is my favorite Nintendo franchise (other than Smash of course) and Bandana Dee is a cool character. With that being said, I think Kirby is represented perfectly in the character department, and don't particularly want anyone else from the series.

Captain Toad Prediction: 30.26%

Mario's newest rising star, though the series has a lot of characters already.

Nominations: Ryu (Street Fighter) x5

With recent events, it's definitely worth rating him and Roy.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
IT HAS RETURNED! YES! (And I'm late to the party. Lovely....)

Bandana Dee - 55%

Quite obviously the next in line for a Kirby character, but that's only if we happen to get one. The best thing he has going for him right now is popularity, and the ballot that was recently released will likely help indicate that to the developers.

The main problem is Sakurai's bias regarding older Kirby games, as well as competition from other characters.

Want - 100%

He's been one of my most wanted characters for a long time.

Captain Toad Prediction - 32.11%

Nominations: Tetra x5

Last edited:

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
Bandana Dee:
Okay...this is going to be tricky.

Chance:20%
If Kirby ever gets a fourth rep during this generation, it's him. Without a doubt.
He has a fair amount of moveset potential, fair relevancy within the franchise, and fair amount of popularity, especially in Japan. The staff could reuse Kirby's model and base him off that(like Jiggs) so that's some work scratched off. And the Kirby franchise itself is popular enough to possibly warrant four Kirby reps. To be honest, I honestly considered giving this guy a 50% in chance, until I remembered something important.

Sakurai.

Melee, Brawl, and Sm4sh. All of the Kirby elements from each game mainly consist of stuff put in from Sakurai Kirby and not so much from the others. I mean seriously, out of all the Kirby stages he could put in Sm4sh, he put in the Great Cave Offensive. Why. I mean, I loved the mode in the original game, but Super Star is already represented with the Halberd. Why another stage? Couldn't we have had a stage from Wii or Triple Deluxe? Sure he said that he dosen't play the recent Kirby's too much but still, was it that hard to get videos or screenshots of the newer games and model stages from those? I won't say he's biased against the other games, but it has me bothered. And thus I can't think too highly of the Dee's chances.

Want:50%
Conflicted. While I would welcome any Kirby rep for the most part, I still perfer Dark Matter over him. I know it's a pipe dream, but I can't give it up. I certainly wouldn't mind if Dark Matter joins the fight and Dee is left as an AT, that's for sure.

Captain Toad predictions:20%
Or that's what I intend to rate him as.

Nominations::wolf: x5

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Bandana Dee :

Chances : 30%. I really don't have much to say about him, who knows how they will proceed with DLC content.

Want : 100% To be quite honest, it's not that much that I support Bandana Waddle Dee in particular, however ever since Melee's release I have been wanting Waddle Dee in Smash. Just like for Toad, any form of Waddle Dee would please me immensely.

-

Captain Toad prediction : 41%.

-

Nominations :

Krystal x 5.

Top Bottom