• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Double abstain

------

Predictions

Dark Matter (Kirby): 6.32%

An iconic Kirby character with some recent relevancy on his belt, but he's got lots of competition within his own franchise to overcome.

------

Nominations

Greninja (Pokemon): x5

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I did not use that term in that way of meaning StormC. I just want someone out there to speak up and show their side of the argument in-depth so I can gain a full understanding and finally settle some silent matters. :p

To me, Sora is one of the most interesting characters to discuss because his pros and cons provide so much complexity and layers, filled with things would favor or go against his inclusion. Exploring Sora's chances is fun and is like figuring out a difficult puzzle in Professor Layton or sliding the Rubik's cube in a way that has same colors on all sides. Right now, I am craving for that delicious, different perspective.

You act like all that is simple. That's a lot more negotiating than the average 3rd party character. That's three different companies having to negotiate with each other. Three! And one of them is Disney!

Maybe if it was just Nintendo and Disney. Maybe if it was just Nintendo and Square Enix. But but all three is just too much. I think Sakurai could do it if he was willing to jump through a lot of flaming hoops.
Those three companies all have established relationships with each other to be able to negotiate:

Nintendo + Square = Able to negotiate Cloud, with Sakurai and Nomura establishing a close personal relationship.
Nintendo + Disney = Helped out in developing and/or publishing Disney Art Academy and Disney Magical World 1+2.
Disney + Square = Able to negotiate Sora into World of Final Fantasy. On the other side, Disney was able to negotiate a KH Mickey costume from Square.

Together in unison, they would be able to pull off a negotiation just fine. I do not see it as too much for Sakurai, although there were probably bits of doubt Sakurai would have of pulling such a cross negotiation, but not enough for him to give up when he has Nomura and Square to aid him. This is all assuming that Sakurai wants to go for Sora of course, which I think could really happen with Sakurai wanting to step up in surprise fighters in each new Smash game.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Sora
chances: 1%
Disney rep before konami, ubisoft, activision and tecmo and other companies? Nah I don't there is anything that would help him

Want: 1%
Never played KH also if I want a Disney rep in smash I would prefer *takes deep breath* a club penguin rep since it would represent the biggest MMO game ever and also WAY more recognizable than KH series I know it might sound dump to say but just imagin the reaction online if it actually ends up happening.

Nomination:
Alex kidd x5

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Sora:

Chance: (20-50%)
I have no idea whats going to end up happening but seeing how many people did want Sora, especially during the Fighter Ballot, and how he is a big third party character from Square Enix, he has a chance.

BUT...

We have one major roadblock and that is Disney, and seeing how stingy they can be with their IPs, I have a feeling that its really up to Disney if they want Sora in or not.

Another thing to note is that with KH3 about to come out this year with no sign of a Switch version, Nintendo might not want to accidentally promote a game that is on a competitors console.

Want: 70%
Although I am not really pushing him or anything, I would definitely be happy if he gets in.

OH **** I FORGOT TO RATE ELMA!!!

Chance: 75%
Want: 85%
I think it’s possible that Elma is going to be added into the game due to timing and the fact that Sakurai bought a Mech with a rifle that looks similar to the mechs in Xenoblade X. Elma would also be VERY different from Shulk due to her gun blades and can be a very unique fighter, compared to Rex/Pyra who could have similarities to Rex in terms of fighting style.

I’m out.

Nominations:
x5 Lycanroc

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Sora

Chance: 0% - First one of these I'm giving out, wow! Not only is Sora a nobody (ha!) compared to the non-ballot third party characters, he's owned by one of the prickliest, stingiest companies when it comes to licensing their characters out. Look at the trouble Capcom faced with MvC: Infinite, or the executive meddling that led to the Epic Mickey franchise being the flop that it was. Disney wouldn't even let Square use him in their OWN fighting game. Do you really think they're going to allow Nintendo to do it? Sora's rights acquisition will likely even be harder than Banjo's and he's much much less worth it than a ton of other potential third party options. Square themselves have plenty of more worthwhile options with other Final Fantasy protags, Dragon Quest characters, and Lara Croft among them. This is one door that Sora's not going to unlock.

Want: 0% - Nor should it be. Kingdom Hearts is a franchise of wasted potential (You're going to do a huge Disney story crossover and none of the characters from different movies interact? Really? I know there's an in-story explanation but it's still the stupidest thing.) and bringing Disney into the mix of Smash Bros. is inviting disaster. Look at the difference between Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, which was pre-Disney involvement, and Infinite, which is post-Disney involvement. I don't want that happening to Smash, and involving Disney will undoubtedly make that happen. The franchise is fun in of itself, but I want it nowhere near Smash.

Prediction

Dark Matter: 14.50% - I wasn't expecting him to do great, but people seem real pessimistic on him going by other's predictions. Hopefully I can change a few minds with a big long-ass post of my own tomorrow.

Nominations

Impa x 5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Nintendo + Disney = Helped out in developing and/or publishing Disney Art Academy and Disney Magical World 1+2.
Is that really comparable to putting Sora in Smash Brothers, though?

Disney Art Academy is mostly a paint program licensing with Disney characters, and Magical World is basically Disney Animal Crossing. Both could bassically be done by giving a licence to say "you can use the DS software tools" and let Disney make whatever on their own terms.

Smash Brothers is a fighting game, and that requires a lot more than that. They would have to make sure Sora is hit and reacts in pain appropriately, would have to deem animations for things like the Spicy Curry and being grabbed in character, fight and use weapons in an approved way, etc. Its more than just using Sora, it's making Sora get punched.

How much involvement do you have that Nintendo and Disney had with each other for these games?

Disney + Square = Able to negotiate Sora into World of Final Fantasy. On the other side, Disney was able to negotiate a KH Mickey costume from Square.
Can I let someone else speak for me?

I've spoken to people who were on the Disney Infinity team at Avalanche Studios and Disney Interactive. They had to fight tooth and nail to get Kingdom Hearts content in Infinity. Their own game. And that was just to have a Keyblade weapon and a King Mickey costume disc, not even something like a Sora figure.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I would like to know multiple recent instances where Nintendo and Disney’s relationship specifically have faltered to a point where they have cancelled projects or content for a game that led to a separation of the two companies partnership for a while. Disney might have problems with Capcom and Junction Point Studios, but it does not directly correlate to Nintendo and Disney's actual relationship. And that relationship thus far, has been solid with the multiple 3DS games that Nintendo helps publish. I have yet to see that.

Smash Brothers is a fighting game, and that requires a lot more than that. They would have to make sure Sora is hit and reacts in pain appropriately, would not have to deem animations for things like the Spicy Curry and being grabbed in character, fight and use weapons in an approved way, etc. Its more than just using Sora, it's making Sora get punched.
What I think is that it is not a problem. Smash Bros. is not a gory fighting game where heads and feet falter off like in Mortal Kombat. That kind of content is something that Disney would have legitimate strictness of because how it would make people perceive their properties. Smash Bros. is of same level of violence as most of the Kingdom Hearts franchise. Smash Bros. is a cartoony fighting party game. Sora being featured in that kind of game is not going to be a major problem.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Sora
Chance: 0%
Yep, I'm that confident. Disney don't like people using their IPs at the best of times. You just have Sora with no Disney content, and honestly the entire appeal of Kingdom Hearts has gone. Donald and Goofy are going to cost BIG and it's a lot of hassle when Cloud is just as hype for a fraction of the headache.

Unfortunately I can't see Disney giving them the all clear to let Mario suckerpunch Donald and Goofy in the face.

Nintendo in turn didn't allow Mario to appear in Wreck it Ralph, and Bowser wasn't allowed any speaking parts. Maybe they could cut a deal if Ralph can hang with Mario, Sora can in Smash, but frankly it's such a legal nightmare the idea of entertaining such a thing is unlikely at best.

Want: 0%(Just Sora), 30%(Donald and Goofy assists), 15% average then?
I like Kingdom Hearts and I LOVE Disney. I know they're an evil all consuming corporation but god damn do they make some of the most charming characters in the world.
Seeing Donald and Goofy fight alongside Sora would be pretty cool on the battlefield but I can see Sora having to solo due to legal reasons, and frankly without his friendship with Donald and Goofy, a central theme of the games mind you, Sora's not terribly interesting and does little to differentiate himself from every other JRPG protagonist with a ridiculous weapon.

Dark Matter Prediction: 11.2%

Nomination:
Fire Emblem Heroes Summoner X 5

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Even if Disney was strict with allowing Disney characters present and not Sora, there is enough interesting original content in the KH series for Sakurai to get a substantial amount of solid representation of the franchise. Sora characterization wise, personality wise, and gameplay wise provides enough tools like magic, his variety of keyblade moves, and drive forms to be a stand-out and fun character in Smash. Disney content is not integral to implementing Sora correctly. I would not fear about that in that specific scenario. :p

Sora is not happening. This is probably the only outright 0% chance score I'll give. I will bet me making a full cover of any Disney song of BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 's choice if he does.
Noted. (Make it Let it Go from Frozen if it happens)

Last edited:

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
Sora

Multi-company negotiation, yaddy yaddy yada, but is it ACTUALLY that difficult?

Here's the thing: Someone, who may or may not have been me (You can't prove anything), actually worked at Avalanche Studios on Disney Infinity as a lowly Quality Assurance Tester. As a fan of the Kingdom Hearts series, I (or somebody else) asked around to see if any Kingdom Hearts content was going to be planned. When the question wasn't met with laughter or "Why aren't you downstairs working?", this anonymous person learned that Disney is OBNOXIOUSLY picky when it comes to their material. They'll make deals, sure, but you can be absolutely sure that THEY will be the ones making all the calls. Makes sense, really, as one of the biggest multimedia companies on the planet, they can afford to say "Do this our way, or we're out." And that was just a costume and a keyblade! Sora was requested, but a deal could never be made because there was always an animation that was not quite right, he should be a little taller, he should be able to do X move and not Y move, etc. etc. It never worked out, and that was to get Sora into Disney's own game! I can't see Sakurai going through all that trouble, especially when if he was going to, why would he pass up the golden opportunity of including Mickey Mouse? Do you take another spiky haired protagonist, or do blow everybody's minds with the face of an entire industry?

Sora is not happening. This is probably the only outright 0% chance score I'll give. I will bet me making a full cover of any Disney song of BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 's choice if he does.

Want: 100%

He's pretty cool, I'd love to see him.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Sora Prediction: 15%
I think it can happen, and at the very least I think it has been entertained. HOWEVER, as many many many people above have said, Disney is going to be an obstacle. Having one of their biggest gaming icons in this game? I have no doubt it'd be a tricky one to overcome. I can see Disney being the type to "micromanage" every little thing about Sora and his moveset. Plus there's a distinct possibility that Sakurai will only get Sora and no Disney "affiliation" like Mickey, Donald, and Goofy. And being that the KH games are centered around Sora's connection to those people (animals?), Sakurai may nix the idea altogether (his bond with Donald and Goofy is pretty important to the entire game). I personally think Sora has enough potential to be a fighter on his own, with magic, the key, etc. but if Sakurai can only see Sora with Donald and Goofy, oh boy, that's opening up a whole can of worms.

That being said, the popularity is definitely there, and I'm sure Sora did quite well on the ballot. Smash development team and Disney likely know how loved he is. And if we want a newcomer that would break the internet on the level of Cloud, this is the one (though K. Rool and Ridley would come close...looking at you, Sakurai).

Are you kidding?! I love Sora! I love Kingdom Hearts and I'd love to play him in my favorite fighting game.

Nominations: Lucas x5

Here's the thing: Someone, who may or may not have been me (You can't prove anything), actually worked at Avalanche Studios on Disney Infinity as a lowly Quality Assurance Tester. As a fan of the Kingdom Hearts series, I (or somebody else) asked around to see if any Kingdom Hearts content was going to be planned. When the question wasn't met with laughter or "Why aren't you downstairs working?", this anonymous person learned that Disney is OBNOXIOUSLY picky when it comes to their material. They'll make deals, sure, but you can be absolutely sure that THEY will be the ones making all the calls. Makes sense, really, as one of the biggest multimedia companies on the planet, they can afford to say "Do this our way, or we're out." And that was just a costume and a keyblade! Sora was requested, but a deal could never be made because there was always an animation that was not quite right, he should be a little taller, he should be able to do X move and not Y move, etc. etc. It never worked out, and that was to get Sora into Disney's own game! I can't see Sakurai going through all that trouble, especially when if he was going to, why would he pass up the golden opportunity of including Mickey Mouse? Do you take another spiky haired protagonist, or do blow everybody's minds with the face of an entire industry?
Just say yourself! We won't be mad.

But yeah, as much as I love him, I can see Disney being super stingy with Smash. I don't think it'd be worth the hassle (for Smash's development team at least; do it for me pls)

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Sora want: 1% (11-10*)

The keyblade would be cool in Smash, but I want to keep Disney out of Smash.

Nominations:

Masked Link x5

* Indicates percentage penalty for potentially taking a slot from most wanted characters

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
If Disney is going to be stingy about anything, it would be portraying Sora correctly characterization wise, much like with Nintendo when they were concerned about Bowser's characterization in Wreck-it-Ralph. And since Sakurai is about integrating characters in the most faithful way possible, both would have the same goals. In that matter, it is hard for me to imagine a scenario where Sakurai and Disney would fight out hard to choosing every move and manner Sora has to have in Smash.

Last edited:

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
Just say yourself! We won't be mad.
If I were to say myself (Hypothetically of course, as it might not be), I MIGHT be breaking an NDA I signed years ago.

Which of course I don't have to worry about, because it DEFINITELY wasn't me, and there's no way anyone who could get me in trouble is reading this. But I've heard stranger things getting people in trouble for NDA's in the past :p

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If I were to say myself (Hypothetically of course, as it might not be), I MIGHT be breaking an NDA I signed years ago.

Which of course I don't have to worry about, because it DEFINITELY wasn't me, and there's no way anyone who could get me in trouble is reading this. But I've heard stranger things getting people in trouble for NDA's in the past :p
I mean, I've heard the same thing from other people who've worked on it, so I believe the person who definitely isn't you. :p

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I never really entertained the idea of Sora in Smash before, but the more I think about it...

Chance: 1%
I didn't pull any punches with my most wanted and I'm not pulling any punches here, Disney is a bigger, badder, and greedier Microsoft. They'd sooner buy Nintendo and cancel Smash than actually license out one of their characters for it.

Want: 50%
Loved the first two Kingdom Hearts games, and Sora has a lot to work with even without Dolan and Gooby, but there are only three third party characters I'm personally invested in for Smash. Sora would be cool but he's not my biggest priority.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Sora:

Chance: 0.1%
Blah blah Disney, blah blah they are much bigger than Nintendo and have no reason to compromise for a character, blah blah Disney do not need the promotion or marketing, blah blah can't see Sakurai working well with Disney executives or agreeing to their ideas. Nintendo made a theme park agreement with Universal, not Disney, which to me means they aren't exactly eye to eye despite past works together.

the 0.1% chance is based entirely on KH's creator pull and relationship with Sakurai and Disney to make it possible.

Want: 10%
No issue with the character and series itself, but Disney being involved in Smash just seems like a bad idea.

DMB prediction: 13.4%

Noms: Toon Zelda x3, Black Shadow x2

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
I would like to know multiple recent instances where Nintendo and Disney’s relationship specifically have faltered to a point where they have cancelled projects or content for a game that led to a separation of the two companies partnership for a while. Disney might have problems with Capcom and Junction Point Studios, but it does not directly correlate to Nintendo and Disney's actual relationship. And that relationship thus far, has been solid with the multiple 3DS games that Nintendo helps publish. I have yet to see that.
Can you prove that the publishing is anything even remotely similar? Again I ask you, how much involvement do you think Nintendo had with a painting program and an Animal Crossing clone?

We're not exactly saying the relationship is bad, but rather publishing the games isn't exactly the same as them working hard together either.

What I think is that it is not a problem. Smash Bros. is not a gory fighting game where heads and feet falter off like in Mortal Kombat. That kind of content is something that Disney would have legitimate strictness of because how it would make people perceive their properties. Smash Bros. is of same level of violence as most of the Kingdom Hearts franchise. Smash Bros. is a cartoony fighting party game. Sora being featured in that kind of game is not going to be a major problem.
Is it really, though?

What if they state that Sora's move set needs to have this move over that move, or XYZ should be more powerful, or he is too complex to play, etc. He needs to fight like Sora does in Disney's eyes, not necessarily in the way Sakurai may envison him.

Game play needs and characterization don't always see eye to eye.

it would be portraying Sora correctly characterization wise, much like with Nintendo when they were concerned about Bowser's characterization in Wreck-it-Ralph.
Let me put it this way: When Wreck-it-Ralph's bad-guy-anon meeting was taking place, almost every company wanted their bad guy to be bigger than others. They had to constantly resize everyone until it came to the point where Ralph, who was supposed to be one of the biggest characters in the room, was regularly getting dwarfed.

While obviously they made it work in the movie, but you have to keep this in mind that this kind of oversight will have to happen regularly for almost everything Sora does.

And even if Sakurai is willing to go through all of this, how much oversight will Sora need? How much oversight do you think Disney will require, and how much free reign will Sakurai get? Do you think Sakurai will be willing to go through all of this, just for a chance?

Even if Disney was strict with allowing Disney characters present and not Sora, there is enough interesting original content in the KH series for Sakurai to get a substantial amount of solid representation of the franchise. Sora characterization wise, personality wise, and gameplay wise provides enough tools like magic, his variety of keyblade moves, and drive forms to be a stand-out and fun character in Smash. Disney content is not integral to implementing Sora correctly. I would not fear about that in that specific scenario. :p
Even if it's possible, do you think they would? Does Sakurai think that Disney is one of the main draws of the series? If not, how much will be lost?

Let's face it, Disney characters are one of the main draws of the franchise. Even if there was no Disney content needed to make Sora work, it's hard to say if the franchise is still reasonably well represented in this scenario. If Sakurai views Disney as too much of Kingdom Hearts's core values, it doesn't look good for him.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Sora
Chance- ABSTAIN
Not interested in jumping in this quagmire today. There are far better arguments being made than anything I could come up with.
Want- 0%
Sorry, but this just doesn't interest me at all. Nothing against the series itself, though.

Dark Matter Prediction- 11%

Nominations:
Ashley x5

TheFritzle

Smash Apprentice
Sora Chance:
15%
Look, I don't really know much about Sora's situation. But, from what I've been reading, it doesn't seem like he is THAT impossible. Sure, he wouldn't be easy, but this is Sakurai we're talking about. This man loves to please the fans, and I'm sure he knows that getting Sora in the game would do just that. After Cloud, there aren't that many characters left that would give a legit surprise to people. Putting Sora in the game would make so many people happy. I'm sure it may be hard, which is why it's is only at 15%, but I really do think there is a chance he may appear in this new game.

Sora Want:
75%
I have no connection to Sora. Never played Kingdom Hearts, never really cared for his character that much, but I know that putting him in this game would make so many people happy. It is evident from the posts above that people love Sora, and if it would make that many people love this game even more, than I'm all for it.

Dark Matter Prediction:
14.49%

Nominations:
Sylux x4
Ray 01 (Custom Robo) x1

Last edited:

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
Sora

Chance: Abstain
Want: 0%

I’d rather have Mickey or another Disney character. I mean he’s not bad but nowhere near as interesting as other Disney characters or even SE characters.

Cranky x4
Barbara x1

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Sora
Chance: Here comes my first abstain
I love the Kingdom Hearts games, and Sora in Smash has been a dream of mine for years now.

Dark Matter Prediction: 10.11%

Nominations
Decloned Dark Pit x5

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Ashley (WarioWare) x273
Geno x269
Isabelle x265
Micaiah x252
Lana (Hyrule Warriors) x242
Blue Bowser x242
Tethu (EverOasis) x240

Over 200:

Arle Nadje (Puyo Puyo) x234
Veteran: Lucas x222
Veteran: Mewtwo x200

199-150

Concept: veteran character artworks recycled from Smash 3DS/Wii U x196
Mike Jones (StarTropics) x188
Agumon x185
Ganon x176
Black Shadow x176
Veteran: Greninja x161
Impa x157

Bomberman x155

Lycanroc x151
Music: Final Destination (Ver. 2) x150
Urban Champion x150

149-100

Dark Samus x144
Funky Kong x142

Travis Touchdown x141

Sans (Undertale) x138
Qbby (BoxBoy!) x138
Kamek x134
Concept: Decloned Dark Pit x133
Pyra/Mythra (without Rex) x127
Spyro x127
Concept: Marth and Roy given their English VAs x125
Snip & Clip (Snipperclips) x116
Lip (Panel de Pon) x113
Concept: Octopath Traveller Character x105
Mipha x105
Masked Link x103

Tsubasa Oribe (Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE) x100
Simon Belmont x100

99-75

Neku Sakuraba (The World Ends with You) x97
Ryu Hayabusa x95
Azura (Fire Emblem) x95
Linkle x95
Octoling x95
Excitebiker x87

Concept: Ken Masters alt Costume for Ryu x86
Sylux x86
Concept: Skyrim representation x85

Concept: Decloned Ganondorf x83

2B (Nier: Automata) x78
Cranky Kong x76

74-50

Parabo and Satebo x74
Gengar x73

Fjorm (Fire Emblem) x72
Labo related character x68
Wonder Red (The Wonderful 101) x66
Fawful (Mario & Luigi) x66

Klonoa x65
Thwomp x63
Tetra (The Legend of Zelda) x60
Papyrus (Undertale) x60
Katrielle Layton x56

Concept: Fire Emblem Spear User x55
Zeraora (Pokémon) x55
Veteran: Roy x51
Lara Croft x50

49-30:

Concept: Fire Emblem Heroes Summoner x45
Veronica (Fire Emblem) x44
Lloyd Irving x42
Susie (Kirby) x41
Concept: Wars character x39
Veteran: Dr. Mario x37

Concept: Mother Newcomer x35
Callie and Marie (Splatoon) x35
Barbara The Bat x35
Mimikyu x34
Steve (Minecraft) x34
Sakura Shinguji x33

Doshin the Giant x32
Veteran: Bayonetta x32
Balloon Fighter x32
Django (Boktai) x30

29-25

Snorlax x29
Sable Prince x29
Pokemon Trainer (Gen 2) x28

Dragonite x27
Ray (Custom Robo) x27
Gooey (Kirby) x27
Hector (Fire Emblem) x 26
Medusa (Kid Icarus) x 26
Leo (FE Fates) x26
Returning game mode: Smash Run x26
Takumi (Fire Emblem) x25
Sophitia (Soulcalibur) x25
Double Day: Sheriff / Diskun x25
Prince Fluff (Kirby) x25
Tiki (Fire Emblem) x25
Concept: Style Savvy Character x25
Primarina x25
Slippy Toad x25

24 and less (about to be purged if not saved)

Nia and Dromarch (Xenoblade) x24
Concept: Canon Bowser/DK/Diddy voice clips x24
9-Volt x23

Concept: Indie Character x 22
Tingle x21
Scizor x 21
Veteran: Palutena x 21
Stage: New Donk City x21
Endou Mamoru x21
Rick/Coo/Kine (Kirby) x21

Arcade Bunny x 20
Concept: Historical Nintendo character (Similar to Game and Watch or R.O.B.) x20
Viridi x20
Concept: Masked Dedede Final Smash x20
Toon Zelda x19

Tom Nook x18
Tails x18
Ghirahim x18
Mach Rider x17
Poipole (Pokemon) x17

Starfy x14
Veteran: Robin x 14
Petey Piranha x13
Concept: Custom Moves Return x12
Mallo (Pushmo) x 12
Concept: Sonic Mania Stage x12
Concept: Capcom Character x12
Veteran: Cloud x11
Toad x11
Veteran: Dark Pit x11
Samurai Goroh x10
Stanley the Bugman (Donkey Kong) x10
Donkey Kong Jr. x10
Concept: Custom Final Smashes x10
Quote x10
Concept: Core Crystal Item (XC2) x10
Concept: Female Announcer x10

Concept: F-Zero Newcomer x9
Veteran: Pac-Man x9
Scorpion (Mortal Kombat) x9
Dragonborn x9
KOS-MOS x9
Veteran: Sonic x 7
Incineroar x7
Tora and Poppi x7
Slime (Dragon Quest) x7

Zangoose (Pokemon) x6
Black Mage (Final Fantasy) x6
Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight) x6
Bubbles x6
Kozukata Yori (Fatal Frame) x5
Concept: Decloned Lucina x5
Galacta Knight (Kirby) x5
Morag and Brighid (Xenoblade) x5
Master Chief x 5
Ninten (Mother) x 5
Concept: Mega Man 11 stage x5
Concept: Return of transformation characters x5
Concept - Melee/Brawl style Classic mode x5
Ayane x5
Alm (Fire Emblem) x 5
Concept: Metroid: Samus Returns Stage x5
Asuka x5
Abraham Lincoln (Codename STEAM) x5
Masked Man (Mother 3) x5
Ayumi Tachibana x5
Itsuki Aoi x5
Concept: Shin Megami Tensei Protagonist x5
Monita (NintendoLand) x5
Cross/Rook/Avatar (Xenoblade Chronicles X) x5
Toon Link x5
Yooka & Laylee x5
Caeda x5
Concept: Charizard Remerged with Pokemon Trainer+complete movesets x5
King Hippo x5
Glass Joe x5
Master Hand x5
Solaire (Dark Souls) x5
Reinhardt (Fire Emblem) x5
Dr. Kawashima x5
Sudowoodo x5 (NEW)
Hyness (Kirby Star Allies) x4
Rick the Hamster x4
Shadow the Hedgehog x4
Mii Fighters x 4
King Boo x4
Geese Howard (Fatal Fury/ King of Fighters) x3
Mario RPG representation (Including Paper Mario and M&L) x3
Poochy (Yoshi series) x3
Veteran: Corrin x 3
Porky Minch x3
Veteran: Wii Fit Trainer x3
Specter Knight x3
Saki x3
Weavile x3
[Rerate] Isaac (Golden Sun) x2
Vaati x2
Nightmare (SoulCalibur) x2
Joker (Persona 5) x2
Concept: The Sims character x2
Toadette x2
Jack Frost (Shin Megami Tensei) x2
Concept: Snipperclips representation x2
Jeanne (Bayonetta) x2
Garon x1
Rosalina & Luma x1
Bowser Jr. x1
Knuckles the Echidna x1
New Mii Fighter types (concept) x 1
Harry (Teleroboxer) x 1
Sheik x1
Undertale Representation x1
Revali x1
Daruk x1
Urbosa x1
Jack (Harvest Moon) x1
Sol Badguy x1
Kyo Kusanagi x1
Ryoma (FE Fates) x1
Falco x1
Vivian (Paper Mario) x1
Mallow (SMRPG) x1
Concept: Playable Master/Crazy Hand x1
Blastoise x1
Alph x1
Marshal (Rhythm Heaven) x1
Tapu Koko x1
Hyper Light Drifter x1
Dark Falz x1
Silvally x1
Hat Kid (A Hat in Time) x1
Captain Syrup x1
Concept: Tetris Stage or Assist Trophy x1
Concept: Ms.Pac Man alt costume for Pac Man x1
Concept: Entire roster revealed at E3 x1
Stage: Sheikah Shrine x1
Stage: Ultra Space x1
Stage: Miitopia Stage x1
Stage: Happy Home Designer x1

Changes:

Added a to-be purged tier (24 noms and less) to easier indicate who needs saving before the end of the month
Only change in the top 7 is Blue Bowser going over Tethu. Lana received no noms during Banjo's day but remains 5th.
Mewtwo breaks 200 noms
Lycanroc breaks 150 noms
Mipha and Masked Link break 100 noms
Cranky breaks 75 noms
Sakura breaks 30 noms
Primarina and Slippy are at 25 noms. Sable Prince breaks through to be safe.
Newest addition: Sudowoodo (x5)

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Ashley (WarioWare) x273
Geno x269
Isabelle x265
Micaiah x252
Blue Bowser x242
Tethu (EverOasis) x240

Over 200:

199-150

Agumon x185
Ganon x176
Black Shadow x176
Impa x157

Bomberman x155

Lycanroc x151
Urban Champion x150

149-100

Dark Samus x144
Funky Kong x142

Travis Touchdown x141

Sans (Undertale) x138
Qbby (BoxBoy!) x138
Kamek x134
Spyro x127
Lip (Panel de Pon) x113
Mipha x105
Masked Link x103

Simon Belmont x100

99-75

Ryu Hayabusa x95
Azura (Fire Emblem) x95
Linkle x95
Octoling x95
Excitebiker x87

Sylux x86

Cranky Kong x76

74-50

Parabo and Satebo x74
Gengar x73

Fjorm (Fire Emblem) x72

Klonoa x65
Thwomp x63
Papyrus (Undertale) x60
Katrielle Layton x56

Zeraora (Pokémon) x55
Lara Croft x50

49-30:

Lloyd Irving x42
Susie (Kirby) x41

Barbara The Bat x35
Mimikyu x34
Steve (Minecraft) x34
Sakura Shinguji x33

Doshin the Giant x32
Balloon Fighter x32
Django (Boktai) x30

29-25

Snorlax x29
Sable Prince x29

Dragonite x27
Ray (Custom Robo) x27
Gooey (Kirby) x27
Medusa (Kid Icarus) x 26
Leo (FE Fates) x26
Takumi (Fire Emblem) x25
Prince Fluff (Kirby) x25
Tiki (Fire Emblem) x25
Primarina x25
Slippy Toad x25

9-Volt x23

Tingle x21
Scizor x 21
Endou Mamoru x21

Arcade Bunny x 20
Concept: Historical Nintendo character (Similar to Game and Watch or R.O.B.) x20
Viridi x20
Toon Zelda x19

Tom Nook x18
Tails x18
Ghirahim x18
Mach Rider x17
Poipole (Pokemon) x17

Starfy x14
Petey Piranha x13
Mallo (Pushmo) x 12
Toad x11
Samurai Goroh x10
Donkey Kong Jr. x10
Quote x10

Dragonborn x9
KOS-MOS x9
Incineroar x7
Tora and Poppi x7
Slime (Dragon Quest) x7

Zangoose (Pokemon) x6
Bubbles x6
Master Chief x 5
Ninten (Mother) x 5
Ayane x5
Alm (Fire Emblem) x 5
Asuka x5
Masked Man (Mother 3) x5
Ayumi Tachibana x5
Itsuki Aoi x5
Monita (NintendoLand) x5
Toon Link x5
Yooka & Laylee x5
Caeda x5
King Hippo x5
Glass Joe x5
Master Hand x5
Solaire (Dark Souls) x5
Dr. Kawashima x5
Sudowoodo x5 (NEW)
Rick the Hamster x4
Shadow the Hedgehog x4
Mii Fighters x 4
King Boo x4
Poochy (Yoshi series) x3
Porky Minch x3
Specter Knight x3
Saki x3
Weavile x3
Vaati x2
Joker (Persona 5) x2
Toadette x2
Jeanne (Bayonetta) x2
Garon x1
Rosalina & Luma x1
Bowser Jr. x1
Knuckles the Echidna x1
Harry (Teleroboxer) x 1
Sheik x1
Revali x1
Daruk x1
Urbosa x1
Jack (Harvest Moon) x1
Sol Badguy x1
Kyo Kusanagi x1
Ryoma (FE Fates) x1
Falco x1
Vivian (Paper Mario) x1
Mallow (SMRPG) x1
Blastoise x1
Alph x1
Tapu Koko x1
Hyper Light Drifter x1
Dark Falz x1
Silvally x1
Captain Syrup x1

Changes:

Added a to-be purged tier (24 noms and less) to easier indicate who needs saving before the end of the month
Only change in the top 7 is Blue Bowser going over Tethu. Lana received no noms during Banjo's day but remains 5th.
Mewtwo breaks 200 noms
Lycanroc breaks 150 noms
Cranky breaks 75 noms
Sakura breaks 30 noms
Primarina and Slippy are at 25 noms
I always wondered what exactly the "Blue Bowser" nomination means o.o

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Ashley (WarioWare) x273
Geno x269
Isabelle x265
Micaiah x252
Blue Bowser x242
Tethu (EverOasis) x240

Over 200:

199-150

Agumon x185
Ganon x176
Black Shadow x176
Impa x157

Bomberman x155

Lycanroc x151
Urban Champion x150

149-100

Dark Samus x144
Funky Kong x142

Travis Touchdown x141

Sans (Undertale) x138
Qbby (BoxBoy!) x138
Kamek x134
Spyro x127
Lip (Panel de Pon) x113
Mipha x105
Masked Link x103

Simon Belmont x100

99-75

Ryu Hayabusa x95
Azura (Fire Emblem) x95
Linkle x95
Octoling x95
Excitebiker x87

Sylux x86

Cranky Kong x76

74-50

Parabo and Satebo x74
Gengar x73

Fjorm (Fire Emblem) x72

Klonoa x65
Thwomp x63
Papyrus (Undertale) x60
Katrielle Layton x56

Zeraora (Pokémon) x55
Lara Croft x50

49-30:

Lloyd Irving x42
Susie (Kirby) x41

Barbara The Bat x35
Mimikyu x34
Steve (Minecraft) x34
Sakura Shinguji x33

Doshin the Giant x32
Balloon Fighter x32
Django (Boktai) x30

29-25

Snorlax x29
Sable Prince x29

Dragonite x27
Ray (Custom Robo) x27
Gooey (Kirby) x27
Medusa (Kid Icarus) x 26
Leo (FE Fates) x26
Takumi (Fire Emblem) x25
Prince Fluff (Kirby) x25
Tiki (Fire Emblem) x25
Primarina x25
Slippy Toad x25

9-Volt x23

Tingle x21
Scizor x 21
Endou Mamoru x21

Arcade Bunny x 20
Viridi x20
Toon Zelda x19

Tom Nook x18
Tails x18
Ghirahim x18
Mach Rider x17
Poipole (Pokemon) x17

Starfy x14
Petey Piranha x13
Mallo (Pushmo) x 12
Toad x11
Samurai Goroh x10
Donkey Kong Jr. x10
Quote x10

Dragonborn x9
KOS-MOS x9
Incineroar x7
Tora and Poppi x7
Slime (Dragon Quest) x7

Zangoose (Pokemon) x6
Bubbles x6
Master Chief x 5
Ninten (Mother) x 5
Ayane x5
Alm (Fire Emblem) x 5
Asuka x5
Masked Man (Mother 3) x5
Ayumi Tachibana x5
Itsuki Aoi x5
Monita (NintendoLand) x5
Toon Link x5
Yooka & Laylee x5
Caeda x5
King Hippo x5
Glass Joe x5
Master Hand x5
Solaire (Dark Souls) x5
Dr. Kawashima x5
Sudowoodo x5 (NEW)
Rick the Hamster x4
Shadow the Hedgehog x4
Mii Fighters x 4
King Boo x4
Poochy (Yoshi series) x3
Porky Minch x3
Specter Knight x3
Saki x3
Weavile x3
Vaati x2
Joker (Persona 5) x2
Toadette x2
Jeanne (Bayonetta) x2
Garon x1
Rosalina & Luma x1
Bowser Jr. x1
Knuckles the Echidna x1
Harry (Teleroboxer) x 1
Sheik x1
Revali x1
Daruk x1
Urbosa x1
Jack (Harvest Moon) x1
Sol Badguy x1
Kyo Kusanagi x1
Ryoma (FE Fates) x1
Falco x1
Vivian (Paper Mario) x1
Mallow (SMRPG) x1
Blastoise x1
Alph x1
Tapu Koko x1
Hyper Light Drifter x1
Dark Falz x1
Silvally x1
Captain Syrup x1

Changes:

Mewtwo breaks 200 noms
Lycanroc breaks 150 noms
Cranky breaks 75 noms
Sakura breaks 30 noms
Primarina and Slippy are at 25 noms. Sable Prince breaks through to be safe.
I don't understand the rationale for purging nominees with low votes.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I always wondered what exactly the "Blue Bowser" nomination means o.o
I was confused too but apparently Blue Bowser is actually a real character and is seemingly(?) one of Bowser's relatives. Really, I'm not lying. https://www.mariowiki.com/Blue_Bowser

Sora
Chances: 1%
Smash is what everybody wants to be in, and I'd imagine that Sora would get into Smash if Disney was okay with it, but given what I've heard here, I don't think it's that likely to happen, Disney is just too picky.
Want: 40%
Never played Kingdom Hearts, but he'd be a good third party pick that I'd have no problems with.

Predictions: Dark Matter 7%
Nominations: Gooey x 5

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Hey TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom since Mewtwo and Lucas are pretty close to each and their trailers were released on the same day as well as being psychics, could they be rated on the same day when it's eventually time?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Sora
Double 0
Not only is Dora owned by Disney, but his franchise is made up almost entirely of Disney stuff. Am I honestly suppose to think the likes of Donald Duck and Goofy are supposed to be in Smash, or that they'd only represent the parts of Kingdom Hearts that have nothing to do with Disney. It's a stupid idea honestly.

Dark Matter: 11%

Nominate Parabo and Satebo x5

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Sora

Chance: 1%

Nothing is impossible, but this...

Yeah, this feels pretty impossible.

as it stands, Sakurai would have to run through the brick wall that is Disney in order to make Sora playable, and that seems like it would be quite the hassle. Sora was quite popular during the Ballot, but this is one character that popularity isn’t gonna do much for.

Want: 5%

I’ve never been interested in Kingdom Hearts, nor am I a fan of Sora’s design. Wouldn’t rage if he got in, but I would consider it a disappointment.

Noms:
Rick/Kine/Coo x5

Last edited:

Cycrum

Smash Apprentice
Sora

Oof! The only reason I would ever give a single character a 0% chance is if there are nearly insurmountable factors against them, and Sora certainly has one that immediately dropped it down to a 0. That is Disney, who owns Sora, and, due to their protectiveness of their IPs, I just cannot see him ever coming to Smash. Also, there are a lot more iconic and highly requested third party characters from both Square Enix and other companies that are far less strict on the usage of their characters. This is one lock that Sora is not getting past.

Want: Abstain
Personally, I have never played any of the Kingdom Hearts games.

Predictions:
Dark Matter Blade: 10.49%

Nominations:
Steve (Minecraft) x4
Spyro x1

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
Sora

Chances: .01%
Nyothing's impossible, but as nearly everyone here has nyalready said, Sora's big issue is fluffing Disney nya!

Want: 80%
Breaking jaws with a giant key sounds like a reasonable and fun nyu concept for smash nya!

Nyominations
Isabelle: x5

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Keyblade Dude

Chance: 10%

Sora, while being a very popular character I think still faces some hurdles in regards to his inclusion. For one, there's Disney that's a factor at play. While some people might not see it as a big deal, Sakurai described Cloud's appearance in Smash 4 as "miraculous". With a company like Disney, it might even be harder to work out a deal for Sora to be in the game. Especially if they demand a lot of things in return for Sora's inclusion (be it royalties or what have you). Speculation of course but still important things to consider.

Want: 30%

Ehh. I'm not that thrilled at the prospect of Sora in the game. I mean he would have a fun moveset probably and is a big name in the gaming world but Kingdom Hearts never interested me the way Final Fantasy did.

Prediction: Dark Matter

Chance: 11%
Want: 25%

Nominations

Masked Link X 5

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Can you prove that the publishing is anything even remotely similar? Again I ask you, how much involvement do you think Nintendo had with a painting program and an Animal Crossing clone?

We're not exactly saying the relationship is bad, but rather publishing the games isn't exactly the same as them working hard together either.
For Disney Art Academy in particular, the game was developed Headstrong Games, whose franchise is owned by Nintendo, of which franchise has gotten representation in Smash 4 in the form of a trophy and music (Swan Lesson):

For Nintendo and the studio to be able to collaborate with Disney for this game shows how close Nintendo's relationship with Disney actually is.

Is it really, though?

What if they state that Sora's move set needs to have this move over that move, or XYZ should be more powerful, or he is too complex to play, etc. He needs to fight like Sora does in Disney's eyes, not necessarily in the way Sakurai may envison him.

Game play needs and characterization don't always see eye to eye.
I doubt Disney would be that picky, because the advisors of Disney would not be able to translate Sora into Smash gameplay as well as Sakurai. The best they could advise is looking over if Sora has been implemented well and trust in Sakurai's talent to be able to envision the character well in Smash.

Let me put it this way: When Wreck-it-Ralph's bad-guy-anon meeting was taking place, almost every company wanted their bad guy to be bigger than others. They had to constantly resize everyone until it came to the point where Ralph, who was supposed to be one of the biggest characters in the room, was regularly getting dwarfed.

While obviously they made it work in the movie, but you have to keep this in mind that this kind of oversight will have to happen regularly for almost everything Sora does.

And even if Sakurai is willing to go through all of this, how much oversight will Sora need? How much oversight do you think Disney will require, and how much free reign will Sakurai get? Do you think Sakurai will be willing to go through all of this, just for a chance?
Disney could have more concerns than Square Enix with Cloud, but I would argue that meeting the demands of how Disney would want Sora implemented in Smash would be great fun challenge for Sakurai. Everything that Sakurai has done in each new Smash game has been stepping up with more surprises that lead to more interesting challenges. Implementing fighting game mechanics in Smash with Ryu, being able to translate a "peaceful" Nintendo character like Villager into a fighter, and the challenge of implementing Bayonetta's powers without having to lose the core aspect of Bayonetta's power of letting out skin while being able to pass the ratings.

The amount of work Sakurai would have to do for Sora to meet Disney's demand would be one of the greatest challenges Sakurai would have to face, and that would make the inclusion of Sora all the more satisfying when he is finally fully implemented into Smash Switch's gameplay.

To Sakurai, working on Smash is more of a fun challenge than being pressuring.

Even if it's possible, do you think they would? Does Sakurai think that Disney is one of the main draws of the series? If not, how much will be lost?

Let's face it, Disney characters are one of the main draws of the franchise. Even if there was no Disney content needed to make Sora work, it's hard to say if the franchise is still reasonably well represented in this scenario. If Sakurai views Disney as too much of Kingdom Hearts's core values, it doesn't look good for him.
He will definitely think it is a draw, but more than anything, gameplay will be a focus. And what Sora has in terms of moveset potential are all KH-original and unique enough to be able to be implemented in Smash. As far as Disney powers go, Summons are probably the closest thing, but they act more like side-things rather than being integral to Sora's gameplay like Flow-motion or Keyblade powers. I do not see the issue in the scenario Disney excludes their own non-KH-original content in Smash.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Sora
Chance: 5%
Disney is VERY protective of their IPs, so I don’t see it as a realistic possibility. However, Sora is popular (and we did get Cloud in Smash 4), so anything is possible.

Want: 66%
Disney and Nintendo were essentially the companies that shaped my childhood. Them coming together would be a dream come true. However, there are other characters who are of higher priority to me.

Predictions:
Dark Matter Blade: 9.87%

Nominations:
KOS-MOS x 5

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Sora

- Just getting Cloud, the Midgar stage and the old MIDI files alone were a rather tall order for Sakurai and most likely expensive for Nintendo. Asking for Sora means also having to ask Disney and they’re known to be VERY stingy when it comes to their property. Bartz or Cecil are far more likely candidates.

Want: 1%

- While Sora’s concept of fighting with Keyblades is neat, it also means Disney’s executive meddling would most likely affect him negatively. This is just too much trouble.

Prediction

Dark Matter: 9.8%

Nominations

Katrielle Layton (Professor Layton) x3
Black Shadow x2

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Disney X Final Fantasy OC (Do NOT steal)

Chances: 10%
Call it a gut feeling, call it the massive shadow of the Mouse House (where all mirth has stopped), but I just don't think so.

Want: 30%

Not a LH guy, but my brother would be jazzed to have him join.

x5 Porygon

Top Bottom